Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Ranger Timing Belt

bentwrenchbentwrench Member Posts: 27
edited March 2014 in Ford
My son-in-laws 89 Ford ranger, 4 cyl., timing belt broke. He replaced it and now says it doesn't run well .I am driving up North to help him check it out. Can someone answer these questions:
1. Is it an interference engine.
2. If so, where would the most likely damage be: valves, piston, or lower end?

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    My recollection is that it isn't an interference engine. If it was, it wouldn't run at all, seems to me.

I'd do a compression test and vacuum leak test for starters, and also check his cam timing marks.

I'm just guessing on the interference issue, I don't have the specs on this truck.

Usually on breakage of a belt with an interference fit, the valves are bent immediately.
  • adc100adc100 Member Posts: 1,521
    I owned an '88 Ranger. I put lots of dollars into that truck after the extended warranty to keep it on the road. Sounds like you are committed to keeping it going. It was a "needy" piece of metal!! Good luck.
  • jgmilbergjgmilberg Member Posts: 872
    If it ran good before the belt broke I would look at the timing marks for the cam and crank. Get a Chilton's or Haynes repair manual and check the timing mark positions for the engine. He may have them out of alignment, or 180 degrees out of phase, it might run but very poorly if it's 180 out. Marks are to be set on tdc of the compression stroke on the # 1 cyl.

Let us know if you got it fixed and what it was when you get back.
  • amoralesamorales Member Posts: 196
    it is easy to damage the coolant tube resulting in loss of coolant and a overheated engine. I agree with jgmilberg, check timing marks carefully, refer to manual. I had a '95 with SOHC 2.3 and replaced the belt at 90,000 miles.
This discussion has been closed.