Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lost? Ask the M&R Host for directions!

Comments

• joudifouljoudifoul Member Posts: 3
    I don't think it was a VW recall now. Somebody called it a "customer service action". But thanks, I will check on other VW forum.
  • davidhilldavidhill Member Posts: 2
    My son broke off the tip of the key in the ignition in his 1990 Toyota Celica. We had a locksmith try for about 30 minutes with no luck. we had the car towed home.

What can I do to get the tip if the key out of the ignition? Can I get a replacement cylinder assembly and new key?

thx,
    Dave
  • davidhilldavidhill Member Posts: 2
    I bought a 1969 Mustang two years ago. I drove it home, parked it in the garage. Now I want to get it running. I've tried putting gas in the carburetor and it turns over till the carburetor doesn't have fuel in it.

What do I need to do to keep the fuel flowing? I've put 5 gallons of fresh fuel in the gas tank. I've taken the fuel line off infront of the carburetor. When I press the gas no fuel shoots out of the fuel line.

thx,
    Dave
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    You might try changing the fuel filter, also blowing backwards through the fuel line, but it sounds like your fuel pump has given up the ghost from disuse. These old style fuel pumps get very weak with age. Shouldn't be difficult or expensive to replace it.

ALSO, once you get it running you may find that you have contaminated fuel in your fuel tank. Gas will go bad after a year or so, so you may have all kinds of gum and varnish in the gas tank that needs to be cleaned out.

But start with the simplest things and work toward the complex.
  • cgm707cgm707 Member Posts: 5
    I have a 1990 Cadillac DeVille with about 86,000 miles on it. I bought it from someone who seldom drove the car obviously. However I have had to put a fair amount of money into the car. The mechanic told me that some things that have to be fixed include:

- Transmission mount

- Exhaust manifold

- Struts & shocks

The car also leaks quite a bit of oil and I am told that to fix this would be very expensive.

Anyway, I want to sell the car and am wondering if these things should be fixed first, and what a fair price would be?

Thanks for any help.

Chris Milligan
    Hi Chris,

It all depends on whether these deficiences are readily noticeable and will spoil the prospective buyers' test drive. You are sellling a used car, not a new one, so you're not obligated to recondition the automobile. But if it clangs and bangs, or spews exhaust fumes into the passenger compartment, well of course you need to do something about that.

I rather doubt anyone would notice if the suspension is worn on a '90 Cadillac but an exhaust leak, yes, and they may spot the oil, too.

As for the value of the car, you can do an appraisal right here at Edmunds, using their nifty True Market Value software. You can even do a custom appraisal for your area code and compensating for mileage and condition.

Go here for that:

http://www.edmunds.com/tmv/used/index.html?tid=edmunds.u.mainindex.appraise..1.*

Hope all this helps

MrShiftright the Host
  • subarujacksubarujack Member Posts: 2
    I have a 95 Subaru Legacy L AWD, not an Outback. Everytime I drive somewhere and stop the car for just a few minutes, it won't start and acts like it is flooded. :confuse: If I wait an hour or so, it will start right up. After each incident where it fails to start and I wait forever for it to start, the "check engine" light comes on, but goes off after a couple of days. It is really flooding out? Is there some type of fuel pressure regulator that requires replacement? Would the fuel filter have anything to do with this problem? If you have Subaru technical knowledge, please help. Thank you, Jack at "wiseguy8000@hotmail.com"
  • alcanalcan Member Posts: 2,550
    Remove the vacuum hose from the fuel pressure regulator and check for the presence of gas. If so, the regulator's leaking and requires replacement.
  • clif2clif2 Member Posts: 5
    Several Questions:
    ECM Code E040 - Open Power Steering Pressure Switch Circuit -
    (Engine Control System and Service Soon messages also present)
    1. Where is this switch located?
    2. Under what conditions is the switch supposed to be open and closed?
    3. Can the pressure be tested in some way?

A message "Cooling Fan Fault" is displayed on the Driver Information Center, even though the fan turns on at approximately 230 degrees and apparently turns normally (i.e., free and fast, no binding) and brings the temp back down to normal. Message appears simultaneous with fan activation.
    Questions are:
    2. Where does the signal for this message originate,
    3. what input generates it, and
    4. what steps can be taken to correct the faulty indication?

Many thanks for any contribution.
    clif,

cut and paste your question and re-post it here:

Technical Questions

MrShiftright
    Host
  • clif2clif2 Member Posts: 5
    Done. Thank you!
  • kathymkathym Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know of a bulletin on this problem? Is anyone having a problem
    with head gasket leak? Just had this repaired for $1700; is it too late to
    get all or some of my money back if this is covered in an after-warranty
    assistance? Thanks in advance for any help on this matter.
    Hi,

You might post that question here:

Chevrolet Cavalier Forum

thanks,

Mrshiftright
    host
  • rwsmithrwsmith Member Posts: 3
    Good Morning,

First of all I gave up figuring out how to post in the Chevy Lumina section; therefore, I am posting here. Sorry, if anyone can explain to me how to do that I'd appreciate it very much.

Today my Econolube guy told me that I desperately needed to replace my intake manifold gaskets...cost: $500.

Of course, I haven't a clue what that means except he's probably right.

Is that a fair price for a 1995 Lumina with 122,000 miles???

Thanks so much!

Cheri
    Hi Cheri,

You can post that question here for best results:

Technnical Questions

The Lumina Topic is here:

Chevy Lumina Forum

thank you

MrShiftright
    Host
  • subarujacksubarujack Member Posts: 2
    Thank you very much for your response. Now I will have to do some research to figure out where the regulator is on my Legacy. If you could assist me with a few kind words of instruction/direction to that regulator, I would be very grateful. ---jack
  • meatmeat Member Posts: 1
    Hello,

I backed into some kids car 2 weeks ago who was sitting outside my driveway late at night in a black car with no lights on that i didn't see. Anyways, i made a little dent in his one fender and a chip in the paint and have pictures of it. The kid called me back today and said it would cost around $1000 to repair it. I was like you got to be kidding me. I was wondering if anyone could help me (or at least point me in the direction) as to how much they think this would cost to fix. Here are the pictures:

image">

and the URL's incase they dont' show properly:

pic1: http://members.aol.com/threemeats/car1.jpg
    pic2: http://members.aol.com/threemeats/car2.jpg
    pic3: http://members.aol.com/threemeats/car3.jpg

(Sorry The pics are a little big but i didn't want to degrade the quality so that you can see everything)

Any help would be greatly appricated.

Regards,
    Mark
    Well it depends how much they have to paint. You can't "blend in" modern paint, you need to find an edge---a molding or seam to "wrap" the paint. So if they are painting the front bumper and the fender, oh yea, it could cost that.

Guy backed into my car...put about a canteloupe size dent in the rear fender and that was $1,600 because they had to paint the entire rear quarter, and pop out the side window to get that "edge" I told you about (under the weatherstripping).

Of course, I'd insist he get an estimate from a shop you trust, or at least show you two written estimates and then take the lower one.
  • choiboichoiboi Member Posts: 1
    HELP!

I need to know which spark plug lead goes where for a Hyundai Elantra J2 1.8L DOHC motor

Can someone tell me please?

1-3-2-4 is the firing order
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    choiboi, try this discussion:
    Got a Quick, Technical Question?

kirstie_h
    Roving Host
    Host, Future Vehicles & Smart Shopper discussions

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

I unearthed our discussion on this topic, and moved your post there:
    skeezix, "Animal/Pest Problems" #23, 16 May 2005 11:41 am

Maybe some previously posted suggestions will help you.

kirstie_h
    Roving Host

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• njs757njs757 Member Posts: 3
    We own a 2003 Chevy Tahoe, can anyone tell me where the fuel filter in this car is located, and what are the steps to replace it? I live in Miami, and the dealer charges 220.00 plus taxes to replace the air filter, the fuel filter and clean the throttle valve, whereas the parts cost less than 40.00 at retail, and it took me 15 minutes to replace the air filter and to clean the throttle valve, now only the fuel filter is left to be done. Thanks for reading and for sending help.
  • cheerfulcheerful Member Posts: 31
    Someone bumped into my car at the rear left corner and left a dent about 6" in diameter. I remember seeing some commercial about some kit to repair dent yourself. Since the dent is on the corner, it does not have that big flat surface as shown in those commercial. Has anyone here used any of them? Can anyone recommend one?

Or should I got to a body shop? How much would this type of fix cost?

Thanks!
    Hi njs757,
    You should visit our Chevy Tahoe/Z71: Problems & Solutions discussion, where other owners can advise you.

kirstie_h
    Roving Host

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

Hi cheerful,
    Check out our Paint and Body Maintenance & Repair discussion. I haven't heard of the product you're talking about, but perhaps someone in that discussion has.

kirstie_h
    Roving Host

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

• mcrawfordmcrawford Member Posts: 1
    not sure if this is the right place. My 1991 Nissan Maxima won't start. It turns over great, but doesn't ignite. The mechanic has checked everything mechanically (points, plugs, fuel pump, etc) and it is fine. He thinks it may be the computer module is not relaying a signal to the injectors? Does anyone have any advice or tips on this problem? Don't really want to spend a lot of money.

thanks,
    Your best bet is to post in our "No Start" Problems discussion. Just click on my link to get there.

kirstie_h
    Roving Host

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

• liberty5liberty5 Member Posts: 4
    G'evening. Would really appreciate knowing where to go to ask about this problem. Car just up and died while I was driving through a parking lot. Able to restart with a battery boost, but my helpful rescuer said it was "odd" because the battery looked fine (green light). Thank you.
    Yeah, cut and paste your question (or part of it) and post it here:

No Start Problems
  • jwmahoneyjwmahoney Member Posts: 4
    THIS DISCUSSION IS ARCHIVED. YOU INSTRUCTED ME TO LEAVE MESSAGE HERE TO RESTORE IT
    JOHN MAHONEY
    Okay it's restored for you and on the active list again!

MrShiftright
    Host
  • abe05abe05 Member Posts: 2
    I own a 1989 Toyota Supra. Recently the two rear brake lights have not been functioning, however the high center brake light works fine. I have checked the fuses and they are all ok, also all other rear lights are functioning properly. The rear lights are 1157's so they have two filaments, the one for the brakes does not light up however the other functions fine. When I start the car and release the E-brake the console indicator turns on to indicate a rear light is out. I have replaced the bulbs and have inspected the wires, no luck. I am at my 'wits end' on this one and I'm about to drive the vehicle off a cliff, please help.
    Hi,

You should cut and paste your question to this forum:

Electrical Gremlins

thank you

MrShiftright
    Host
  • scotyscoty Member Posts: 3
    I'm new to this site and I've posted the message below in Transmission Traumas in Maintenance and Repair - is this the correct place for the question?
    Thanks

Hi there. I have a chrysler neon in the UK, automatic, yr 2000. It recently bled the transmission fluid all over the road due to a leaky pipe, and started to lose transmission power. When this happened I high revved the engine to get transmission to work (thinking I had a sticking problem), until I lost all transmission power completely - and then I realised it was a leak.

The shop replaced the transmission cooling system with one of their own and put new transmission fluid in. For first day there was no problem except that the revs seemed to be higher than before when changing up between 20-30 mph, and the move from a standing start seemed to need more revs to get going than before.

But today there has been a heavy vibration and delay when moving with medium to high revs from a standing start, and some kind of transmission slippage can be heard. I was worried that my high revs when the fluid leaked may have screwed the transmission - but reading this site suggests that there is a lot to understand about fluid, pressure, sensors, etc that could be my problem due to the shop fitting their own kit and fluid. Any diagnosis of this would be appreciated - and advice on what to do about it.
    Yes you posted in the right place...we'll see you over there

MrShiftright
    host
  • hess1hess1 Member Posts: 2
    I have a '95 Caprice Classic Wagon w/level ride and having an "up problem".
    The level ride will fill the shocks when i have a load, but will not let the car down when i unload the back. I have to dis-connect the air line to lower the rear. Chevrolet dealer can't pinpoint the problem, could be the $900 pump or the $300 controller. question is, is a tool available to determine which one could be faulty, and the manuel says that neither part is servicable. sorry, but someone made it orginally, so it should be able to be fixed. I own a small radiator shop/garage and am looking for some help. Is this the right place? thanks, hess1
    Okay, I would suggest that you cut and paste your question into this forum:

Technical Questions

MrShiftright
    Host
  • dfoglemandfogleman Member Posts: 1
    When I was changing the oil for my 1998 Jeep Cherokee, I mistakenly drained the wrong one. It had reddish brown fluid and fear it was my transmission fluid. I finished chanign the oil...yes from the right area. I checked all the fluids other than my power steering being low the only one that was bone dry was SURPRISE my transmission. So I looked in the ***** book. Where do I put it in?????? the book says something about a plug and placing it in when it starts dripping but there is no ?!**!? plug. HELP!!! everywhere else I go they are more intent on selling me a book. I just don't want my engine to blow up when I start it. Can anyone help
    You can post that question here:

Transmission Traumas

MrShiftright
    Host
  • 0patience0patience Member Posts: 1,712
    Don't know where to post this, so I'll post it here. (maybe it can be moved to the appropriate topic?)

Folks,
    Please.....
    If you aren't going to post the year, make, model and engine of the vehicle you are asking about, then please put the information of your vehicle in your profile.

I'll be honest, those of us who help out here probably won't answer the post if the information isn't your post or profile.

Thanks.
    Okay did you HEAR that everybody? Of course you didn't hear it, but I hope you saw it and respond accordingly. Our visiting techs do such a great job for people, they are very generous with their time and with no compensation, so the least we can do is make their job as easy as possible!

thanks

MrShiftright
    Host of this here Board
  • rbillieuxrbillieux Member Posts: 36
    How do you read answers from saturn problems and solutions or quick tec question--when sticking --2000 rpm in park will release only if hit gas hard--will stick in gear too if up to 700 in gear it will mess up in park map/bario code p0105 -replaced all sensors except oxygen :sick:
  • jets806jets806 Member Posts: 2
    a/c and heat only work on highest setting,i believe thats fan mode. any suggestions welcome,i sure need them.
    Before we tackle this here why don't you post your question in the

Sebring Owners: Problems and Solutions Forum

and see if anyone there has come up against and solved this problem.

Host
  • gpfixgpfix Member Posts: 1
    Did you find out what was wrong with your blower only works on high? Mine is doing the same problem. Thanks!
  • tkj632tkj632 Member Posts: 1
    :cry: i have put 2 altenators . a comtpure on it about 3 years ago. and know the car is killing my altenators and running down the battery .sometime speedometer goes crazy jumping. and 2 new batterys .please help me know way to go to work. :sick:
  • lasvegaskidlasvegaskid Member Posts: 2
    Car was running great until I washed the engine. It now hesitates and runs rough.
    I changed the spark plug boots, valve cover gaskets and seals-(spark plug housing)
    They were leaking oil. Problem is still there, water must be in a plug connection
    somewhere. Please Help leaving for vacation 7/23/05 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cry:
  • rss1rss1 Member Posts: 1
    I saw an archived question and would like to know the response to the question. The info is:"Toyota Camry Maintenance 10/25/01 314
    Message #89 1997 CAMRY 39000 miles - "R" light on while driving forward by rdata Mar 10, 2001 (7:59 pm)
    I had this camry since new and always had dealer maintenance. Today I discovered my first problem. While driving forward the "R" (reverse)light stays on with the check engine in the dash board. Would anyone know what the coarse would ..."
    Thanks
    rss1
    Well the response would be right there in the string of replies if there was one. Not all questions are answered unfortunately....you could post it again. Use the search features to the left of this page....you can "browse by vehicle" to find a forum where the question would be appropriate, or you can "search forums" by keyword, and type in "technical questions".

MrShiftright
    Host
This discussion has been closed.