Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Audi A4 Convertible

Comments

• jpouchetjpouchet Member Posts: 38
    Does anyone know if the 2.0T engine will find its way into the Cab? With the A4 sedan getting a major face lift how long will the Cab stay with the old body style?

I just hate the idea of buying a new car to find that there is a complete makeover in the next model year. It really makes the car look "old" before it has had a chance in the market.

Otherwise I am seriously considering the A4 1.8T cab. My wife and I finally agreed that for the few times a year we want a SUV we can easily afford to go rent one. I'd rather drive topless averaging 25 mpg than a mid-sized SUV and 18.

Thanks.
  • barbarabbarbarab Member Posts: 1
    Not really about your question. I need some help with lease pricing for a 2005 1.8 convertible....any recent good deals?thanks.
    b
  • luis1luis1 Member Posts: 1
    Geesh! Posting #83, re: A4 Cabriolet 3.0 CVT is EXACTLY what I've experienced with my '03 A4 1.8T CVT since Feb/March 2004! It's been in for service now 4 times, 3 of them with the original dealer who essentially washed his hands of the case when they couldn't fix it and I sought help from Audi Consumer Relations. Since then getting an appointment with a regional technician has been as challenging as the problems. This started 8,000 miles ago and, a year later, the car is going on 17K. I've filed a Lemon Law action against Audi as a result and am awaiting resolution. THIS WEEK they dropped a new transmission after FINALLY test driving my car for a period of a week and realizing the symptoms I've been complaining about for over a year. We still do not know if this fix will cure the issues. Generally, Audi of Alexandria (Virginia)and Audi corporate have been totally ineffective, inefficient and have demonstrated no sensitivity whatsoever to a returning customer (who will return no more!) and who is operating an unsafe vehicle! Consequently, the vehicle has been garaged in recent months. Anyone ELSE had this problem resolved???
  • sunnygirlsunnygirl Member Posts: 1
    Hi Doroy,

I'm having the same problem. I've had my car since October 2004. It's happened twice now. Both times in my driveway, which has an incline. The first time was in October, two weeks after I bought the car, and it happened again yesterday. The frustrating part is that once it happens, I have no way of resetting it. I have to manually get the top closed, then take it to the dealer.

Have you figured out how to reset the top? Are you still having the problem?
  • audicab007audicab007 Member Posts: 3
    I own the predecessor to the A4 convertible. When trying to stow away the top, the tonneau top comes up partway then collapses down again making impossible to fold(stow) away the top in the compartment beneath. The tonneau top is supposed to remain open long enough for the top to fold away in side and then it's supposed to close. Any clues to what's happening? Also, I noticed two small copper unshielded wires that were broken but clearly attached to outer fabric just lateral to the plastic rear window. Anybody know what these wires are for?
    Have you been able to get this fixed? Does the dealer know what the problem is? I've been having a similar sounding problem with a 1996 audi cabriolet. Thanks,
  • trevorptrevorp Member Posts: 1
    I have a 96 convertible with the same problem it lifts the hood and the tonneau 1\2 way and then stops
    Have you come up with a solution
    Well sports fans I just joined the Audi family after driving my MB C230 for 7 1/2 years. It wasn't a quick switch as I tested the BMW and Mercedes offerings before deciding on the new 2005 A4 1.8T Cabriolet in dolphin grey with back top/interior (premium package), lighting package, sports suspension, and heated seats.

The A4 is without a doubt the best performance value in the market. Yes, the 3.0 with wood trim and sweet 6-cylinder is a fine ride but for a go-to-work car that sees occasional weekend driving around town I felt the MPG of the 1.8T was a better fit than the low-end torque of the 3.0.

Now if I could find a wood kit to replace the fiberglass panels I'd have the best of both worlds.

This car is quite a head turner. The A4 has much cleaner lines than either the BMW of MB offering, IMHO, and at least here in So Cal you don't see them on every corner like the BMWs though I think this will change as more people start to take a closer look at Audi with their new A4/A6/A8 and now the A3 offerings.

Glad to be enjoying the sun and wind!
  • giaz5giaz5 Member Posts: 3
    Any one know if the trunk width in the upcoming a4 convertible will be larger than the current. I wanted to buy one, but my golf clubs wouldn't fit, I even tried a carry bag, still no way for the driver to fit in.
    Thanks

Al
    According to Audi the 06 A4 convertible will be exactly the same as the 05. Now this seems odd because a google on 06 Audi A4 convertible turned up spy photos from Sweden of the new body but in looking at it the wheelbase and overall layout look identical. Big change will be the 2.0T motor and front grill. Not worth the wait for me.

I doubt there will be significant changes to the trunk dimensions.

Did you try the ski-boot? All Audis have a drop down section in the back seat for the ski pass through. I can get my clubs in with the top down but it is tight. I have to manually align the club heads to pass through the boot and this is using a hard case with stand. The other option, and it is much easier, is to lay the clubs down in the back seat. My bag fits side to side at a slight angle. My wife's soft bag fits the trunk just fine and her clubs are a lot shorter.

Now if my drive would fly as straight as the A4 I'd be in business!
  • lukaluka Member Posts: 1
    hi Everybody.Actually I'm waiting for new A4 Convertible 2006.could you direct me any useful website?any spy photos?thanks luka
  • SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    Right here! We don't allow links to other forums, so please don't ask other members to violate the Membership Agreement.

Thanks!
    Ditto the previous message about no links to spy photos or other sites.

Also, just because someone snaps a photo of a few development cars, like the ones I saw from Sweden for the new '06 Euro model, this does not mean those vehicles will ever see the light of day as a production car. Often OEMs use "mules" as test vehicles for suspension, engine, or driveline validation and wrap the cars in a new package to overcome legal registration and highway use permits.

If you waiting for an '06 in the US your best point for information is Audi USA.

Finally, no matter what modifications Audi makes to the next cabriolet I doubt it will be sufficient to place a full set of golf clubs in a hard bag in the trunk. It just wont fit especially with the top down. Go for a soft carry bag, use the ski sack, and you can most likely make it work.
  • esfesf Member Posts: 1,020
    It is now four years later, and you won't be looking at this article, but you're wrong in the first one and the second. The A4 Cabriolet now has quattro optional on the 3.0 and 1.8T models, and standard on the S4. Now, Audi is not chasing BMW... BMW is chasing Audi. Evidence: They are now finally putting all-wheel-drive in the 5 Series, they are desperate to drive attention away from the all-perfect A8 and rivet it to their new 'improved' 750i. To me, it looks uglier than before (Avalon-style rear lights [not that I don't like the new Avalon], and I was just warming to the look of the old one), and they're doing what Mercedes does on AMG cars: sticking in a huge engine and calling it a class leader. And nothing else. Right now, and this is a fact, not opinion, Audi is the best German luxury manufacturer, the A6 is the most popular car in Germany, the A6 was also voted 2005 World Car of the Year, a first award in the industry. Audi made a turnaround in the right direction; BMW, the left, and Mercedes somewhere in the wrong part.
  • jhesterjhester Member Posts: 1
    Were you able to find out whether Audi is offering the 2.0 engine in the 2006 Audi A4 Convertibles?
    Thanks.
    This straight from Audi USA on the 2006 A4 Cabriolet.

>>Dear XXXX:
    Thank you for your interest in Audi.

Our e-mail address is designed to provide information only on present or currently upcoming Audi models. No plans have been announced at this time for production of the redesigned Audi A4 Cabriolet. We do not anticipate a change in this car for model year 2006.

Again, thank you for contacting us. Please write again if we can be of any further assistance.

XXXX

AudiTalk

<<<

Looks like the A4 Cabriolet will remain the same until 07 at the earliest. I must say that my brand new 2005 is FANTASTIC. Equipped with 1.8T CVT, Lighting and Sports packages along with heated seats. This is one fast, agile car. The only change I would make is sport package specific brakes - larger rotors, but that is a minor deal as the current brakes are fine. I just like to have binders that really haul you to a stop quickly much like the 911. But at less than 1/2 the price of the 911 these brakes will do just fine.
  • henryh1henryh1 Member Posts: 1
    I own an 98 A4 1.8T and with some minor start up issues it has been a great car - and still is.

Want to get the A4 1.8T Cab, but have seen a few horror stories about new cars with severe issues.
    QUESTION: Anyone have any suggestions how to best avoid those or protect against them?

Henry
    One nice thing about the new Audi's is that they come with what is effectively a 4-year bumper-to-bumper warranty that includes all maintenance. That should petty much cover almost any ills you could fine.

I have been following Audi in Europe, though I live in California, for many years and they have vaulted to the #1 prestige auto position in Germany on the strength of their product design, innovation, and quality improvements. Hard to believe they only send the bad cars to the USA.

Everyone I know that has a new Audi, 03 or newer model, loves them and would buy another in a heartbeat.

Go with an extended warranty if you feel so inclined but do shop around before buying. AAA and several insurance companies have values than some dealers.
  • aceman40aceman40 Member Posts: 3
    I just noticed that on the Audi website when you build a CAB, it only offers the old crappy navigation system. I know the 2005.5 had the new updated NAV system, I even saw it in a showroom. Did Audi discontinue the new NAV system?
    The 2005.5 Cab is the same interior as the 04. Ditto the 06. No changes to the electronics that I am aware of. Still the same Nav package. I opted not to get it as no matter which manufacture I spoke with, MB, BMW, Audi, Lexus they all said the same thing - an aftermarket unit is better, portable between cars or for rentals when traveling, and a better value. One of the top repair issues for all of these companies are their NAV, GPS, and analog phone based emergency response systems. Think On-Star and the like.
    Sorry, I haven't looked at this board in a while. I've had the problem checked by Rockville Audi. They told me that both (right and left) side wiring harnesses leading to the top have to be replaced at a cost of $1600. This seems utterly ridiculous that there could be a wiring issue on both sides of the car that cause this problem. To me, it like saying "Why don't replace every conceivable wire and solenoid leading to the top?" in order to fix what is likely one faulty (broken) wire or solenoid. I think the dealers do not want to do some relatively simple tests to determine which component is defective as this is not covered by the $150 they charged me for a diagnostic fee. Any luck finding a solution. I simply leave the top down most of the time and drive it on sunny days only.
  • sm122097sm122097 Member Posts: 3
    No, it is just the website. I have a new one just in from Germany (I am picking it up this weekend). It has the new NAV.
  • macmurdomacmurdo Member Posts: 31
    Just bought a 2005 Cab... beautiful car. Turns out that cars built in second half of the build year get the new Nav Plus, exactly as in the 2005.5 A4 sedan. Also has the improved center console with the cup holders next to the handbrake, not that flimsy thing in the dash, or hidden in the armrest compartment.
  • rjlaerorjlaero Member Posts: 659
    The Audi website is out of date. Some 2005 Cab's have the new flip-screen MMI nav that's the same in the 2005.5 A4's. It all depends on the build date of your 2005 car.

The crappy old nav is gone! The new MMI nav is really sweet. Very easy to use. 1 Navteq DVD works for all of the US and Canada. You also have 2 MP3 slots behind the screen as well.

Well worth the $1950 IMO.
  • mykevsmykevs Member Posts: 1
    My lease is expiring on my BMW 3 conv and I'm seriously considering an Audi. Does anyone know if the 2006 will have the redesigned front grill ?? I think its way better than the original and will effect my decision. I havent been able to find out anything except for the new engine which seems really sweet.

-Mike
  • cumminscummins Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know what Options you can get on the new model ?

I want Wood Trim, Audio controls on steering wheel , & Seat memory, none of which you can get as an option on the ' 05 1.8 Cab .

Dealers aren't sure yet about what will be Standard , or in the Prem Pkg, or available as separate Options.

Many other Options are fine, but those 3 would really make the 1.8 nicer.

Let me know , those of you in-the-know ! Thanks , cummins
  • jpvwaudijpvwaudi Member Posts: 139
    Yes, all of those features can be had in the 06 Cabriolet
  • jpvwaudijpvwaudi Member Posts: 139
    The current body style will not change until late 06; I was told we have 2 more summers with the current look. The interior and wheel packages will be updated however......
  • kpeterskpeters Member Posts: 11
    Hello I just got an 2003 A4 cabio, great car! BUT my brakes seem to always squeek, has anyone else had this issue and if so how do you fix.. thanks
    How many miles on your car? Used cars 2-3 years old may need a brake adjustment, or your pads may be shot and need replacing.

Your car is still under 4/50 warranty. Audi has been going back and forth on whether they're replacing brake pads under their free maintenance program, so bring it to your local dealer and have them check it out.
  • kpeterskpeters Member Posts: 11
    hi thanks for the reply my car has 30k just bought it certified pre-owened and they said the brakes were just replaced, and that this is just an inherant problem with the A4 cab.. have you had this problem?

thanks
    Kevin
  • dmilzoffdmilzoff Member Posts: 1
    I am awaiting a new S4 Cabriolet and my wife insists on getting a rear spoiler. Any suggestions (other than my local Audi dealer) to purchase one? Are they available in stock OEM colors or will it need to be painted to match the car?
    Try abt-sportsline.de, not the easiest website to navigate but they do have a section in English. Their kits are excellent and match factory paint schemes. You may be able to find a local speed/tune shop that carries ABT. If so, you will probably get a little better deal than through the dealer.

ABT builds numerous excellent speed parts for Audis.
  • eddie650eddie650 Member Posts: 26
    I went to the dealer yeserday and the guy said that the 2006 Cab will have the redesigned front grill. That was a disappointment for me since I don't like the new grill - it seems to break up the clean lines now on the front of the car. I was hoping to get the 2006 Cab since it is supposed to have a Park Assist feature which I'd like.

Ed
  • jagwagjagwag Member Posts: 5
    Do the A4 Beige tops show wrinkle / dirt lines that don't clean off ?

Just wondering if they wear well over time , since I'm considering buying a beige top A4 , but I've seen a few with "wrinkles" on each side of the back window , and all my previous tops have been Black.

Thanks for any info from experienced owners.
  • robin123robin123 Member Posts: 1
    Styling for the A4 Cabriolet differs from A4 sedans and A4 avant estate wagons because all exterior lines are unique to the convertibles. The smooth prow -- with fascia and bumpers in monochrome contrasted against a bead of chrome outlining the broad trapezoidal grille -- seems more fluid and round. Two long doors on the flanks are exclusive to the convertible and wheelwell arches flare to the extreme.
  • eddie650eddie650 Member Posts: 26
    I bought a 2005 Cabrio that came out late in the model year and know of the cup holder change; I don't have the Navigation System. Anyone aware of any other changes made in the 2005 Cabrio model?

I also have the tan top and was told by a friend who has had convertibles and the dealer guy that a black color top holds up best, whereas the tan top will show discoloration lines after a few years. Still, I love the look of my car.

Ed
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    Ewww, they ruined the smooth flowing front end lines of the 03-05 models. I don't like it at all.
  • spd6rcr9spd6rcr9 Member Posts: 1
    I recently traded a TT 225 for a A4 1.8. I have noticed that on take off from a dead stop a serious dead time before the car begins to accelerate. Anyone else experienced this?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200
    You went from a 225 HP engine to a 180 HP engine... Plus, I'm guessing a heavier car, as well... That is turbo-lag you are feeling... You probably had a little in the TT, but the extra horsepower and lighter weight masked it..

The new 2.0T engine is supposed to have solved this... better turbo, and more torque...

You didn't switch from a 6-speed to an automatic transmission as well, did you?

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

The 1.8 has 170hp...so you're talking 55 less ponies than the TT. Also the 1.8 has the CVT transmission, and it feels different than the tiptronic. The 225hp motor in the TT is only available with a manual as well.
  • picnikpicnik Member Posts: 2
    I am in the market for a 4 seater convertible, and am going back and forth between the Audi and the Solara. Does anyone have any insight about pros/cons of each? I have heard wonderful things about the Audi, but then have also heard major complaints regarding service. Of course, Toyotas are reliable...but not nearly as good looking as the Audi.....thoughts?
    Audi pros..

1) Clamshell top operation.. no snap on boot.. clean look.

2) Best looking convertible with the top up.. (better looking than the Solara, period)

3) Scheduled maintenance included for 4yr/50K

4) 4yr/50K warranty (vs. 3yr/36K).

5) Better handling, tighter body..less cowl shake.

Solara pros..

1) Cheaper..by a lot

2) Toyota reliability

3) Easier to sell as a used car.. due to lower price.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• picnikpicnik Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for your response. I appreciate it.

another question, how is the sound on the Audi if i don't get the optional Bose system with satellite radio?
    Since I don't own one.. I don't think I'm the person to ask...

I did think of one more PRO for the Toyota... The V-6 is a lot smoother powerplant than the 1.8T in the Audi.. Still.. not as nice a drive as the Audi...

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• aspesisteveaspesisteve Member Posts: 833
    I've been shoping throughout Northern and Southern Calif. for a 1.8 Cabriolet. Looks like the '06 are here with a bump up in list price by a couple grand and the options are becoming simplified with greater bundling.

By wanting a very specific color combo I've found the right car difficult to find and when I do it's been MSRP. Finally I found the Costco car buying program which comes out to $1,500 over invoice. This sounds fair to me, but I couldn't believe that the dealers didn't want to do it until I say the word Costco.

Going to pick up my car this weekend.
  • aspesisteveaspesisteve Member Posts: 833
    anyone know why the '06 Cabriolet is laging behind the hard top in grill changes as well as the 2.0 engine?

you'd think for $10 grand more you'd get the latest look instead of the older dated look with the smaller engine.
    Typical for Audi... The A4 came out in '96, but they still made the old Cabriolet for at least another 2-3 model years..

BMW has a new sedan out now... but, the new coupe doesn't come out for a year, and the new convertible in two years..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• pikalopikalo Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone tell me what interior/exterior color options were available from the factory for this model? I'm considering purchasing a 2003 A4 3.0 Cab who's exterior paint color is labeled "Hazelnut" but can't confirm that it's actually a factory finish.