Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Audi A4 Convertible

1235»

Comments

• jc112jc112 Member Posts: 6
    I would go with 2005. The later models seems to have had more issues than the later cabs. Resale on 05 with 14000 looks to go for 30+ depends on the model 1.8 or 3.0 with quattro...happy hunting....its a great car...i was also thinking about buying an older cab but leased a new 2006 instead..the price was a bit better.
  • yaffiyaffi Member Posts: 18
    You said the later models seem to have had more issues>>do you mean the earlier?? I have heard mixed reviews on the l.8 I am totally confused..what is 4 cylinder? is that l.8? I saw one with l.8 for 34,000..with 14,000. is that a good car, and a good deal with l.8..is that reliable engine??
    It seems that the V6 drives easier..
    My brother swears by bmw..and i have no experience with german cars at all, so I am in the dark.can use all the help I can get..thanks.
  • jc112jc112 Member Posts: 6
    Opps sorry about that...earlier yes. Its the 4th my brain is on vacation. 1.8 is the 4 cyl yes. Depends on how the engine was run and if it was maintained. Try to get a carfax report. Ive driven the V6 and opted for the 1.8 since I felt it ran roughly the same, the V6 just drank more gas.... with gas prices the way it is...I dont want to pay big gas prices if I can help it..

BMW is great...the 3 series is the standard. But BMW is no longer made in German. Mostly Africa. Audi still built in Germany....it really just depends on your taste and of course your budget.

34000 with 14000 miles sounds right...just check on the cars history. Im sure you can haggle still.
  • a4sfa4sf Member Posts: 13
    Hi,
    My 2003 A4 Cab is approaching the end of the manufacturer's warranty. I asked my dealer about an extended warranty and he offered one for 4 years/100k for about $2900, which is their premium package including most things in the vehicle. The insurance can be used any any repair shop and there's a $100 deductible, which my dealer claims they will waive.

I know there's a markup for these things, so i have 2 questions.
    1) is the extended warranty worth it? should i just gamble that over the next 3-4 years, my vehicle will have less than 3k in repairs? (of course, not all repairs are covered by the warranty such as wear and tear and exhaust components, etc)

and 2) is there a way to get a better rate?

Thanks in advance.
  • buroskyburosky Member Posts: 90
    If I were you, I'd just keep my $2900 and place it in a "car repairs" bank account. No different from a regular savings account that is designated for car repairs. I would even try to add a little to it monthly say $50. Then I don't have to worry about where to get the money for repairs and I don't have to check what is covered or not. Best of all, if after 3-4 years if I don't use it for repairs and I decide to replace the car I can use it the money in the account towards a purchase or lease.

This is just me. I think it is a bigger gamble to buy the warranty. The way I look at it, it's almost a "no win" situation. If the car doesn't break down (although you would prefer this) you lose your $2900. If the car breaks down (although the warranty hopefully covers the repair) you really didn't want this to happen. Worst, if the repair isn't covered.

I don't have anything against warranties. In certain instances they make sense. Just my personal opinion.
  • herro91herro91 Member Posts: 10
    Hi,

I'm considering leasing an A4 cabriolet - wondering what prices have been paid out there.

Thx
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    A good place to check would be the Audi A4: Prices Paid & Buying Experience discussion.
  • desertfox1desertfox1 Member Posts: 80
    The 2007 A4 Cab base prices have been released. 2.0 T Frontrak starts at 39,100 (1,760 increase of base price :( ) and the quattro at $41,200. The 3.2 V6 starts at $46,950. Add $720 dest chagre to all.

No info on packages or option pricing.
  • htree11htree11 Member Posts: 2
    I just purchase a beautiful 2004 A4 1.8 Turbo Cab. It has 17 inch Yokahama tires. during my test drive, prior to it's purchase, I drove it on the interstate and some secondary roads and found it drove very nicely with some shake when the car hit imperfections in the road surface. At the time I just attributed this to the type of car I was driving, ( I had been driving a comfy 2003 lexus ES300), a convertible sports sedan. The problem/question, I have now found that the car ride seems unforgiving on not so perfect city streets and highways and will sometime pitch and roll rather badly jostling me and my not so happy spouse around. I think I may have purchased a Cab with sports suspension. If so, Is the ride for cars configured this way always going to be this rough? Is their a reasonable solution to fix this? I really like the car and trust me after trading five cars in five years, my wife will kill me if I even talk of getting rid of this one.. Help please. Your suggestions are welcomed. Please note; I probably would have brought the car anyway. It's darn good looking and I can live with it's imperfections. besides it behave great on the open road.

Thanks
  • jeep53jeep53 Member Posts: 49
    I just had a comment and a question. I bought my Audi A4 convertible a little less than a year ago. It's a really sharp looking car and overall it rides pretty nice. I have the 1.8 turbo. It really does turn heads. Unfortuately I bought the car mainly for my wife. Now she's decided it's not practicle and wants me to sell it and get her a compact sedan, e.g., Honda Civic or Mazda 3, etc.

I've been researching Kelly Blue Book and NADA and other websites to find out what I can expect to get for the car if I sell it myself. I know the dealers won't give me as much if I trade it in. I also noticed that car dealers are using a service called Black Book and they seem to be very low in their appraisals compared to Kelly and some others.

My question is does everyone out there think it is better to sell it myself using Kelly Blue Book and some of the others that are on the Internet? The car is in excellent condition. It has 57,000 miles on it and is very clean. Any help anyone can give would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

Steve
    (Jeepster53@aol.com)
  • htree11htree11 Member Posts: 2
    Yes. Sell it yourself. This Spring the car will sell itself. Don't give it away. You may also check with Enterprise Car rental/sales. They're always looking for clean cars to sale. They tried to by mine. It's the same year, make and model as yours.
    Good luck. By the way did you have the 50K service performed on your Audi A4 and how much did they charge you? Let me know.

Best regards,

htree11@mac.com
  • ravinpatravinpat Member Posts: 8
    Hi I am comming off my lease and I have been toying with the idea of purchasing the veichle. Audi has a great interest rate of 3.9 percent. I only have 42K miles on it. I was wondering if anyone had come up with this same or similar senario and if Audi were known to break down after a certain time. Should I look at just turning it in to save the headache. I love the car but just don't want to find out I will have problems in the long run. Any feed back would be welcome.

Let me know,
    Thanks Ravin Patten
  • kflanigankflanigan Member Posts: 7
    I purchased my '04 Cab this last August w/ 55k miles. Its a 3.0 Quattro and has been completely reliable so far. You don't say what the purchase price is but I'm going to guess in the low $20's. Since you know the history of the car and if you like it, why not go for it? If they want too much $$ then that may be another issue.
  • topdown3topdown3 Member Posts: 1
    I was sold on buying a used S4 Cabriolet but with -fuel prices soaring I am beggining to re-consider . What would make a worthy option to this vehicle? Any help will be greatly apprieciated . :confuse:
  • a6ownera6owner Member Posts: 2
    I saw a message posted in 2005 about squeeky brakes but it seems that other owners are not experiencing similar problems. I've owned a 2003 model since 2005 and squeeky brakes have been a problem for three years now. The dealer says there is nothing they can do because it's due the bimetallic construction of the brakes. I bought the car with 32K miles it now has 55K. I recently had a brake job, pads a roters and the noise is still present, typically when slowing down with moderate braking. There's little or no noise with hard braking. Do I have a lemon, is this a design flaw, or has my dealer been taking me for a ride?
  • apectorapector Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    I have 2 black leather S4 Cabrilot front seats ( 2004) and want to trade for A4 cabriolet seats. The Deep bolster of the Recaro bucket is too deep for my fat butt and I'd prefer the flatter style of the Cabriolet 3 liter or turbo.
    I could trade just the driver seat or both.
    electric adjustment with lumbar and headrest adjustment, airbag, heat, and backrest tilt to enter rear seat.
    email me at toobuck@aol.com if interested. Thanks, Andy
  • dbarton7dbarton7 Member Posts: 20
    Hello Car Man.

I am thinking over the following deal which I think is a very good one.

2009 A4 Quattro Cabriolet Special addition with Conveniance Package (ie no nav)
    10K miles/year for 36 months

MSRP 45,975
    Sale Price 41,216
    Residual 53%
    MF .00003

$2,819 due at signing (including taxes, first month, DMV etc)
    $460/month

Is this in fact a good deal?
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Car_man is not going to see your post here, so be sure to follow up where you posted earlier: dbarton7, "Audi A4 Lease Questions" #2731, 28 Mar 2009 2:18 pm.

Good luck!
  • bfellerbfeller Member Posts: 4
    I JUST LEASED THE SAME VEHICLE. $ 1565 AT LEASE SIGNING (INCL FIRST MONTH SECURITY DEP TAX AND TAGS

12K MILES/36 MOS
    AUDI CARE INCL
    500 PER MONTH
  • audi_wannabeaudi_wannabe Member Posts: 4
    Looking for some advice. I have a deal on an 07 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro Cab that is LOADED!!! It has just under 9,000 miles and is Certified Pre Owned. I have a price of 31k plus tax and MV fees. Do you think this is a good deal? I appreciate any feedback.
  • tharp1tharp1 Member Posts: 1
    I cannot get the warning light to go off. I have opened and closed the top several time and is seems secure but the light is still on??
  • icaticat Member Posts: 12
    I have a 2003 A4 Cab with 32K miles. Yesterday while attempting to lower the top, it stopped hald way and I had to manually close it. Is there a way to reset the top so I can open and close it again? Oh yeah, the trunk will now not open via remote. Of course the soft top not closed idiot light and tone will not shut off
  • cutigerfancutigerfan Member Posts: 3
    What is the best deal anyone has seen on this car? Money factors, residual rates or what the best price that has been negotiated Quattro with Premium Plus
  • freemafreema Member Posts: 1
    I have an a4 2003 that I am taking to the dealership tomorrow. I have intermittant whistling in my brakes and want to be sure it isn't a pad indicator. will see what he thinks
  • andre154andre154 Member Posts: 2
    Try turning ignition key on and off three times (without starting engine), should reset the light and roof mechanism.
    Had same issue and this is what Audi shop told me to do - it worked. :)
  • andre154andre154 Member Posts: 2
    (Same answer as Post #226)
    Try turning ignition key on and off three times (without starting engine), should reset the light and roof mechanism.
    Had same issue and this is what Audi shop told me to do - it worked. :)
  • nepropneprop Member Posts: 41
    Hi everyone. Looking at a used 2007 2.0L, AWD, cabrio and it's not clear if all cars come with the triple layer fabric roof for enhanced noise reduction. Does anyone know? If it is an option, then how do you know if the option is "in there"? Is there some sort of label on the inside of the roof? I can look at the original sticker if the used car dealer has it, but it's not clear that he does at this point. Thanks.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,195
    It's standard..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• nepropneprop Member Posts: 41
    Host, thanks.
  • stacyjmstacyjm Member Posts: 1
    My 2005 A4 cab just went out of warranty in November, 2009. I only have 45k miles on it. However, in the last month I've forked out $2500 for repairs, including a new fuel pump, themostat housing, and valves and gaskets that have dry rotted. I also had the timing belt replaced at the dealership's recommendation--they said it would be due for replacement in the near future and went ahead and did it while the car was in the shop for the fuel pump replacement.

I love the car, but the amount of repair work I've had to have in the last month seems excessive. Plus, now I'm constantly worried that my CVT transmission is going to go out on me, since this model car has a known problem with that issue.

Is all the repair work I've had to have done lately a sign of things to come? Or is this normal for this car? What else do I need to be worried about? I could be investing all that repair money in a new vehicle and don't want to continue to throw money at repairs. I need some advice!
  • hatnbakhatnbak Member Posts: 1
    I can identify with you. My 2004 A4 Cabrio 3.0 went out of warranty about 2 years ago, and I've had A LOT of repairs. I've finally learned to avoid my Audi dealer, as their labor rates & recommended time for different fixes makes the repairs ridiculously expensive. I can't even remember the entire list, but in addition to $2000 for convertible top positioning sensors & control module (which probably wouldn't have been needed if I'd been aware of the reset procedure mentioned here!!), I've replaced an Antenna ($800 or so); had an oil pan leak (also around $1000); got a new timing belt (Audi dealer wanted $2800 for 75000 mile maintenance including timing belt, but I got it done for around 1000 elsewhere), new brakes & tires (expected), co2 sensor (more than $500), a replacement for the prop to hold up my hood; and a few other things I can't remember. Now my trunk won't open (Audi estimated $500, but I'm going elsewhere); my glovebox latching doesn't work (Audi dealer said around $800; I decided to lock the box & not use it); the front got knocked off my dash cupholder (dealer wanted around $400 to replace; other repair shop glued it back).

All in all--very frustrating for a quality car; I still love the way it looks & drives, but wish I'd sold it 2 years ago; now I feel like I've put so much money in, I should keep for a while!!
  • nanos64nanos64 Member Posts: 1
    Help!!!! Ok. this is the last week to make up my mind about which convertible to choose. BMW 3 series is sweet. But they want $5000 down and asking approx $545 per month for 3 years. 12,000 miles per year. I am reading that the Audi's are only approx $2000 down and the payments are much cheaper. Has anyone compared both convertibles and have any feedback on each and which one is the better car. I will be giving in my 328 i sedan. Black on black. I loved my BMW. But lower payments and down payment will make my husband happier i am sure. What do you guys think.
  • rdfanrdfan Member Posts: 2
    Uh, actually that might be a maybe.

Yes - a triple layer roof is standard. However, I think the original poster may have been asking about the optional "acoustic convertible roof" option which was only available on the 3.2 models and only with the Convenience Package which means models equipped with Home-link, rain-sensing wipers and bi-xeon lights most likely have the extra-quiet roof.

Does anyone know if it was a stand along option and how I can tell if a car has it? I'm in the market for a used CAB to replace my ancient Saab 9-3 'vert.
  • rdfanrdfan Member Posts: 2
    Also, can someone tell me how to identify if the car is equipped with the $250 Sport Suspension. If there a badge, or different tire size or unique wheels?
  • henryinfloridahenryinflorida Member Posts: 1
    Ask to see the original Bill of Sale and/or the Window Sticker on the car. Another way- track it on one of the car status sites (to see repair/collision data). ID by VIN which should give you all the items originally on the vehicle. Ask if the top was replaced (which may be important for other reasons, too).
  • lassie1lassie1 Member Posts: 1
    Hi
    I am thinking about a 2007 Cabriolet quattro with 16k miles and 11 months left on original warranty..I have been reading all the posts about repair costs etc..for $28600 am I getting a potential lemon???
    Any replies would be appreciated
    thx
  • vtscvtsc Member Posts: 1
    The Audi dealership cannot seem to resolve an issue with the convertible top on my 2004 A4 3.0 Cab. (46Kmiles - 7 years old). The spring that holds the inner roof top to the upper canvas, (visible at just behind mid-point while dropping the roof), is broken. It looks as though the j hook spring is connected to the lining on one end, but broken in two below the actual spring. The lining has pulled away from the canvas and is noticeably separated and sagging when the top is up.

Does anyone know of a fix? Where to find the springs? Had this problem also? etc.

Thanks,
  • kam63kam63 Member Posts: 1
    Can you tell me about the rest procedure. I had the same exact issue today on my 2006 where I tried to open the top and it just stopped working, manually closed it but still doesn't work. You can reply to me at kmohajer4@gmail.com.

Thanks,
    Kam
  • scotth7scotth7 Member Posts: 4
    I ahve a 2004 audi cab. my radio antenna went out 2 years ago and audi wanted 650 bucks to repair. i have replaced the fuel pump, the hinges on the glove box broke (they want $300 to fix). ignition coils went bad and chrome trim has oxidized. if it was not paid for I would dump it. sorry excuse for a $40K car.
  • summer29summer29 Member Posts: 1
    My 2005 audi conv. has been having so may issues lately ! from brake light burning out after 4 mos. then brake light on trunk. My major issue just happened is the glass separated from canvas and was told have to replace entire top! ON a six yr old car!!! Anyone else have this issue?? Can u email me at debee323@aol.com if u did.....shouldn;t this be considered a defect! Dealer tells me wear and tear! I live in NY I use it maybe 4 mos a yr and certainly not everyday! $50,000.00 car! I know people with sebrings that never had this happen.

Debbie
    I have not had the issue with the glass separating from the canvas. I have had a 2004 and have had the followin gissues on my converible:

New transmission at 30,000 miles
    ignition coils replaced
    radio antenna went out after 4 hours (short in the wire, $600 to fix, I let it go)
    hinges on the glove box broke (cheap plastic) (want $300 to replace)
    hinges on the center compartment broke
    air conditioner has slow leak

Needless to say I will never buy another audi!
  • amh3amh3 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I have a 2005 Audi A4 3.0 Conv, 71K miles and has been serviced at the Audi dealer. I realize that I might be in for some issues in the near future, but it is running well now. The only problem that I have is that I am cramped in leg space when driving over 2 hours, as I am 6 feet tall with long legs.

May be interested in trading this for a new car.

Can anyone offer advice?

PS: my antenna wire went a few months ago, the wire cracked where it goes into the trunk lid. The dealer wanted over $700 to replace it, I had a local car radio shop splice in a repair patch, same wire as the Porsche, $100, works great.
    I think I must have a lemon with all the issues I have had with my Conv. If yours is running well I would keep it unless the leg issue is one you will have to deal with a lot.

on the radio wire, what type of radio shop. do you mean one that installs car stereos etc.
  • kahuna06kahuna06 Member Posts: 1
    Starting in '07 the Cabriolet switched engines from the 3.0 to the 3.2, which was a serious upgrade - same engine found in A6, Q7, etc. That V6 3.2 powerplant was a mainstay of the Audi fleet this decade and won critical acclaim before the new turbo line that came out recently. In fact I sold my '05 A4 Cab after enjoying the ignition coil problem, among several other minor problems - and upgraded to an '08 Cab, basically for the engine. The old V8 3.0 uses belts while the newer V8 3.2 is on a timing chain, so the belt service alone will save me a couple grand of shop service. So far so good, no issues - and I feel much more confident about keeping the car over the long term.
  • saratogastevesaratogasteve Member Posts: 186
    Anyone have the glass come unglued or separated from the cloth top on their Audi A4 cabriolet?
    I've got a 2006 with less than 28,000 miles and the glass seems to be coming undone. Not sure if this is a simple repair or a new top is in order. Not even sure where to take the car.