Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda6 Sedan

Comments

• audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    Marla, there is no way for me to tell without looking at the dealers allocation. If your order got picked up in April's allocation your looking at a June delivery, assuming no delays.

Mazda6s....the 3.9% if valid for all "i" models.

Rich
  • mazdamarlamazdamarla Member Posts: 350
    Is there still production delays due to the 17" sport package wheels? Anyone know?
  • alangenhalangenh Member Posts: 5
    Hi, I'm considering purchasing a mazda6S, probably in 2-3 months or so, and have some questions. I'd appreciate it if you could share your experience with these things...

1. A anti-theft perimeter alarm appears standard. This is a loud alarm which goes off if anyone tries to break in, right? Can you turn this off? It might be useful in some situations, but at my relatively safe apartment complex, I wouldn't want it going off in the middle of the night when there's probably nothing going on...

2. Does the cd player (stock) pick up where it left off when you turn the car on? A friend of mine got a new toyota van this year, and it always starts at track 1 when she turns the car on. I think that stinks! Especially since I tend to make a lot of short trips.

3. I saw "slam lock" in the list of standard features. What is that?

4. Does the s-plan pricing also apply to dealer-installed accessories like the mp3 player? Does anyone know what the s-plan price or invoice price is for the mp3 player? Mazdamarla, if you're reading this, would you mind sending me the pdf you mentioned with the s-plan prices? This might help me decide what I can afford... I'm alangenh (at) yahoo (dot) com. Thanks!

5. Since I don't think I'll be ready to buy for a couple months, I'm wondering if it would be worth my while to wait for the 2004 version... does anyone know when they will come out? I wish they would offer the mazda6 in titanium gray instead of steel gray, then my agony over choosing a color would be over... :) Not that steel gray isn't nice, but it's a bit too dark for me.

All this waiting and saving is really torture. :P

-Amy
    Amy,

Ruefus sent me that document - if he's reading this, maybe he could send it to you also? I don't have it any longer. Although I know that the MSRP prices went up in April, and I don't know if that also affected the S-Plan pricing structure.
  • glideslopesglideslopes Member Posts: 431
    We simply react to those who come in here and start trouble. No one in here goes to the Accord board to be negative.

It's always the same two who come in here. They know who they are. IMO they both work for Honda Dealers.

Mark.
  • thegreatvudinithegreatvudini Member Posts: 103
    Just so you know. In France, they don't even have the V6 option (yet). They have 3 versions of the i4. The 160 hp version costs 27,200 euros (roughlt $29,900)! On the other hand, they have the hatchback. Here is the link (pics) to that site:

http://www.lequotidienauto.com/mag/020408/mazda6/galerie.asp

Enjoy!
  • cookie01cookie01 Member Posts: 369
    The first thing I asked when I was being shown my new M6s was "Can I turn off the alarm?"
    My other car had a feature in the radio controls that allowed the alarm to be deactivated. I did this right away, I HATE alarms going off for no reason.
    But Mazda guy said no... but that the perimeter alarm only activates if someone is attempting to pry open a door or window. The alarm will not go off if you bump the car, if you try to open a door with the handle or if an airplane flys by. I was skeptical, but after two full months of owning the car I've not had the alarm go off once. My kid often yanks on the doors before I've had a second to unlock them and this doesn't activate the alarm. Also, garage doors open and close doesn't make it go off either.
    I think you'd have no worries.

AND the Bose 6-cd changer does indeed pick up where you left off when starting the car again. I can see where your friends system would drive someone insane.

Happy driving.
  • mjvchicagomjvchicago Member Posts: 149
    Okay... I'm making the leap to the 6. I've punched it into carsdirect.com and the pricing for my area is about $250 over invoice for a loaded 6s w/ sport. Any hints/pitfalls on dealing with carsdirect? I have a feeling they'll really hunt the car I want down and get it to a dealer quickly. My request is quirky... speed yellow w/ manual and sports package. I guess there aren't many around!

Anxious to join the owners club!
    Crown Motors in Holland, MI has/had a speed yellow i model with MT, sport, Bose, Moonroof, Sport Grille, and chrome fuel door. The only thing that stopped me from getting it was the transmission - I'm an AT girl. :) Don't know if they still have it - they did a few weeks ago.
  • sarahmazdasarahmazda Member Posts: 27
    Hi, Amy. I work at a Mazda dealer in Minneapolis. I thought I'd take a moment to answer your questions about the Mazda6.

#1. You cannot turn the alarm system off. Don't worry about the alarm system going off at innapropriate times; most alarm systems made now are not "touchy". To set the alarm off, you literally need to break a window or fool with the locks with a crowbar.

#2. The CD player does resume where you left it.

#3. Sorry, not sure what the "slam lock" feature is.

#4. The S plan pricing does not apply to dealer installed accessories. However, you can ask if your dealer will give you a small break on the parts/installation. I wouldn't expect to get it for hundreds of dollars less, because the profit margin on parts can be small.

#5. The 2003 Mazda6's will continue to be built through August. Our first allocation will be late September (when we can order them). We should be seeing '04 models late October.

Your S plan pricing allows you to purchase a Mazda6 for $100 or so under invoice! As far as I know, there are no plans for changes in the '04 models.

If you'd like to pick a vehicle out (options), I can give you an S plan pricing example.

Hope this helps.
    I used to manage the Internet Department at our Mazda dealer in Minneapolis.

There are two ways to purchase vehicles through CarsDirect.com:

1. Have a CarsDirect.com representative locate the vehicle for you and negotiate with the dealer for you. They then get a percentage of profit from the deal.

2. Send a dealer a quote request THROUGH the CarsDirect website and get a "best price" through an Internet Sales rep at a dealer.

Regardless, I would take that quote and bring it into a dealer to personalize your experience a bit. If they are a reputable dealer, they will honor that price.

I always found it kind of strange to deliver a vehicle to someone I had never met. Part of the experience is getting to know your salesperson and dealership.

After all, that dealer will be your point of reference when servicing and ironing out any issues that may or may not come up in the future.

As for the reputation of Cars Direct, they have been around for quite a while and we've been using their services for years. They are a great service.
  • regfootballregfootball Member Posts: 2,166
    I was at the Mazda in Mtka yesterday and drove a couple 6's and was able to chat with Kimberly and Gwen. Didn't get to meet any Sarahs. If you are at the MTKA location be advised that your staff is very helpful and quite friendly.

Too bad I had to go drive a Saab 9/3 after the 6.....made the 6 seem a little less exciting, the Saab is really a nice ride.
  • gee35coupegee35coupe Member Posts: 3,387
    I might have to give em a second look. I like the new ones. They have a nice aggressive look to them. And they look a lot more substantial than they used to.
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    can you plz explain...

"If the Saab starts discounting to M6 levels "

The northeast is one of Saabs biggest markets and there is no lack of product or discounting. Last time I checked mazda isnt exactly in fire sale mode with the mz6.
  • toolman02toolman02 Member Posts: 59
    I stopped by a local dealer and took some high resolution (1600x1200) pics of both the appearance package and sport package. If anyone wants some images to compare the two, send me an email.

They had the appearance package listed as costing $1399 including the sport grille. That's at least $400 more than the sport package with sport grille. No wonder this car has been sitting on their lot for a few months now, even though its a red MT.
    Sorry it's taken me so long to respond to your kind e-mail. My original response was deleted for some reason. My, the supervisors are particular on these boards, aren't they?!

Anyway, my name is not Sarah. I do work at the Minnetonka location.

I'm glad you're experience was a positive one. We strive for a high level of customer service satisfaction.

I will pass your kind comments on to Gwen & Kimberly. They will be delighted to hear your compliments.

Saab's are definitely nice to drive, and their price tags reflect this comfort!
  • dantodanto Member Posts: 24
    Hey, when did they change this chat room from the Mazda6 to Saab? And how come no one told me?
  • markjennmarkjenn Member Posts: 1,142
    Thanks for the pointer to the article. But there was one paragraphy in there that was really disturbing:

"Mazda Motor, one-third owned by Ford, began selling the Mazda6 in the United States in December. It was designed to compete against the dominant Honda Accord, Toyota Camry and Nissan Altima. Last month, U.S. dealers sold 4,014 Mazda6 units, compared with 3,877 Mazda 626s, the model it replaced, a year ago."

I knew the 6 wasn't selling super well, but I had no idea it was barely exceeding the volume of the old 626.

- Mark
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Member Posts: 2,287
    Compare the entire economy to a year ago. Barely outselling the 626, especially given the poor model mix former management sent to dealers, is quite an accomplishment, really.

Had there been more manuals and V-6's, the story would have been far different!
  • gee35coupegee35coupe Member Posts: 3,387
    But of course some people are just hyper-sensitive.

http://www.autosite.com/editoria/asmr/svsedan.asp
    Most of the top models are doing better this year. I mean look at the Corolla. WOW. That's a redesign that worked.

Kinda kills that theory. If the product was that "improved" it should be doing much better.
  • alangenhalangenh Member Posts: 5
    Thanks very much for the information!

sarahmazda, as for which options I want, I'm still struggling to decide there. I know I want a 6S, AT, and the mp3 player. But as for options... If the dealer has one in a color I like with a moonroof and/or side airbags (which may be incompatible options according to the mazdausa site?) I would probably go for that, otherwise just the basic 6s AT.

The sports pkg looks great of course, but I want a light colored cloth interior... and the appearance pkg seems out of line pricewise with the sports pkg.

I did have one more question regarding the sports package though--how different are the electroluminescent gauges from the standard ones? How are they different, exactly? I did test drive a 6i (nonsports) and a 6s (sports), but I didn't notice any difference at the time.

-Amy
  • whiteatenzawhiteatenza Member Posts: 11
    The electroluminescent gauges are indeed different. For one thing they glow red all the time and u don't see the gauges when the car is turned off (Sports Package equiped). Second, u can adjust the brightness on them if u desire (handy at night or in low light conditions). Third, the Optitron Gauges just look COOL!!!
  • alcjewalcjew Member Posts: 173
    thegreatvudini: France is not the only Europeon country that does not sell the M6 with a V6. All non-North American (US & Canada) countries do not sell the V6. Including Japan's Atenza. All non-NA have various displacement sizes of the i4: 1.8ll, 2.0l and 2.3l. NA have the 2.3l i4 and 3.0l V6.
  • aromasaromas Member Posts: 314
    Don't expect the 6 to meet their sales target this year or next or probably the year after that, especially in the U.S. I think Mazda, even with the modest goal of 80K a year. overestimated the sporty appeal of the 6.

I know quite a few people who are looking to buy a midsize sedan in the near future and although they like my 6 they usually say that it's too "sporty" or too "small". Unfortunately the style of the 6 makes it appear to be too small which isn't the case but 1st impressions are usually the strongest.
    People looking for family haulers don't care about handling and smooth chassis. The Altima is successful because it's large and has a more mature look. The 6 would tend to appeal to people in their 20's and 30's who are single and newly married but unfortunately those with the most disposable income are older than that and not as willing to go "zoom zoom" but want a ride that's "smooth smooth". Not to say that the 6 is a harsh ride but it's marketed as a 4 door sports car and people don't equate that with a comfy ride like the Camcord.

I spoke with my dealer today and they are somewhat disappointed with initial sales and that's in Toronto which is a Mazda hotbed for sales. I know people say give it time but the Altima took off in sales immediately when the new one came out and that car was in much the same position the 626 was for sales.

But then who cares(besides Gee35). It's a great car and it's just more of a reflection of how few people enjoy driving and are happy with vanilla sedans and don't want to have any fun getting to Walmart. To each his own. The 6 is for enthusiasts and should remain that way. It has nothing to do with the Ford name. For every 1 person that will only buy Japanese I guarantee you there are 3 more who would only buy domestics. It's a non-issue. The Taurus was a top seller for years and you see Caravans and cavaliers everywhere and they're not exactly known for their sturdiness.
    "What I meant was if the Saab gets as cheap as the 6"

Check out the lease deal on the Saab Linear vs. what the numbers would end up on a v6 loaded six.......

I will say the Linear, if you can live without a power seats maybe and a couple other things will be closer than some would think. Even in a buy scenario. Factor in the Saab scheduled maintenance as well.

The 6 is a nice car, bet driving the Saab Linear back to back vs. the 6s 5sp.....the Saab is just as quick (or seems like it, maybe even more low end and midrange), seemingly had a smoother powerplant, and was all around more pleasurable.

Not dissing the six, as its absolutely a great car. But some folks might be able to creatively finance a Saab Linear and get as good a deal and get the better car out of the deal.

"People looking for family haulers don't care about handling and smooth chassis"

Disagree. That sort of thinking is a leftover from the 70's.

By the way, the 6 is not 'too sporty'. In addition to having great handling, etc...it also is quiet and smooth riding, so anyone looking for an Accord or Camry should not be scared off by the car being potentially too sporty.
  • miata10aemiata10ae Member Posts: 90
    I was expecting the engine to start loosening up at around 600 miles but that didn't happen. Now I have about 850+ miles and I start seeing the beast unleashing (6s MT). It pulls flawlessly from low rpms all the way to the redline without any hesitation. Today on a long stretch of open highway I decided to put the pedal to the metal. It was amazing how fast it reached the 120 mph mark in 5th gear. At that time my speed limiter kicked in giving me a hint to slow down. It is amazing how different it feels when the engine starts loosening up. The more you drive it, the better it gets.
  • aromasaromas Member Posts: 314
    "Disagree. That sort of thinking is a leftover from the 70's"

Guess that explains why the Camry's sell so well. My heart skips a beat everytime I drive one of those. Good car to drive if you can stay awake.
    Unfortunately for Mazda I'm convinced the only thing holding the 6 sales back is the fact that people expect big discounts on a Mazda. This is an age old problem for Mazda. There are currently no discounts being offered.

It's a name thing. Americans are just so brain washed with the H and T names. If Mazda could get past the discount issue they would hold their value longer and be able to get out of the endless cycle.

Mark.

p.s. Check out the Accord Problems board. Looks like Honda is admitting to brake problems on all the 03's.
    Silly Americans.
  • mazdafunmazdafun Member Posts: 2,329
    Turning the herd can be difficult. It took Honda and Toyota a good long while to get where they are, and they worked hard at it. It's a shame they're starting to exhibit traditional Detroit attention to detail, at least in the vehicles built in NA. They need to slap some of their NA management around.

It'll take Mazda some time and effort to change their image. After all, VW once had a lousy, if charismatic (Bug, Microbus) image. Now, even with still-unreliable offerings, they have a sporty, upscale image. Good marketing can do amazing things. Imagine how Mazda would be in 3-5 years if they get decent marketing to accompany their great products.
  • chikoochikoo Member Posts: 3,008
    >>> I mean look at the Corolla. WOW. That's a redesign that worked. <<<

in case u do not know, Corolla would have been selling just as good without the redesign. This has something to do with reputation and brand image, in case u missed that class.
  • dinu01dinu01 Member Posts: 2,586
    http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/rr/03lesabre.htm

"For enthusiasts or snobs this may not be your cup of tea. But for the majority of consumers, emotion and driving dynamics play no role in the vehicle selection process."

Look at what you see on the streets. If it was about driving fun and good vehicle dynamics, there would be no Corollas, Camrys, Civics, Cavaliers, etc on the road. But as we all know, there are VERY few car enthusiasts - for 90%+ of the population, a car is simply somthing they hop in to go from A->B. If it takes them there w/out issues, it's a "great car".

That is one issue, Mazda's image (or lack of) is another.

Dinu
  • bostongiobostongio Member Posts: 52
    From musa@mazdausa.com about the Hatchback timing:

In regards to your inquiry, the MAZDA6 Hatchback is expected to begin production in February, 2004, with a launch date in the months to
    follow. I recommend continuing to visit www.mazdausa.com for updates on all upcoming vehicles. Information for future models will be
    available there long before the vehicles are available for purchase.
  • cookie01cookie01 Member Posts: 369
    Hey! Edmunds is going to add some Zoom to their long term fleet:

re: To make things even more interesting, we'll be adding a Mazda 6 to our long-term fleet as well (it's due to arrive next month), allowing us to do an informal side-by-side comparison.

Meaning they're already testing a 03 Accord.
    Should be interesting.

I also noticed they paid over $22,000 for a 4-cyl with cloth and a sunroof (no traction control, etc). Seems spendy. Do they buy these cars in Southern Cal? Hope they get their M6 w/ a six... they'll spend about the same.
  • the_big_hthe_big_h Member Posts: 1,583
    actually I would prefer them to bring in a 4cyl 6 w/ manual transmission, w/ sports pkg and leather, all for about 21k.
  • silvercrownsilvercrown Member Posts: 237
    I have decided to go for a loaded 6s, as soon as I can find one optioned the way I want. I'm still undecided about color, it's between Lapis Blue and Sepang Green. I am leaning more toward the Lapis Blue now, because I've seen a couple of them in person and I'm getting used to the brightness of this shade of blue. It's grown on me, I think it's a pretty color for this car. Although I think the blue may be harder to keep clean than the green. However, I've only seen the Sepang Green in person briefly, so I'll have to take a good look at it again before I decide.

I was able to get a friend of mine to do a PIN for me, so I can use the S plan pricing after all. I'm working with a dealer (not the same place where I did my test drive), he seems more willing to work with me in getting the car that I want. He's expecting some cars in next week, and one of them is a Sepang Green that has the factory options that I want. I plan to take a good look at it when it gets here and if I like it, I'll get that one. If I'm still sold on the blue, then I'll probably have to order it and wait 6 to 8 weeks for it. :-( I guess there's not that many blue 6s's available, even at other dealers. I'll have to check that out for myself though.

Got a couple of questions:

1) Does the Appearance Package have the same ground effects features as the Sports Package (of course minus a few goodies, like the black interior and large wheels)? The description of the GFX is slightly different for the Appearance Package.

2) If you use S plan pricing and are also eligible for another discount (like college grad) can you use both? Or would you give up the college grad discount when you use S plan pricing? Perhaps using both is too good to be true?

3) Now that it's April, if I order the 6, will I be able to get the SAB/SAC package even if I order leather seats? The website still would not allow me to do that. I could only configure the SAB/SAC package on a cloth 6 without the Bose package and moonroof (which are inexplicably tied together).

Here are the options that I want in a 6s:

5-Speed Sport AT
    Leather Seats
    SAB/SAC
    Comfort Package
    Bose Audio (or in-dash 6 disc changer)
    Rear Wing Spoiler
    Appearance Package
    Sport Grille
    Cassette Player
    All Weather Floor Mats
    Power Moonroof (kinda optional but may be necessary to get the Bose package?)
    Compass/AutoDim Mirror (not sure yet)

I'm excited to have made this decision after months of thinking it over and dreaming about the 6, even though it looks like it still may be a while before I actually get my 6s. Details, details, details. But I will try to be patient.

Looking forward to joining the Mazda6 club. Many thanks to everyone who has helped me, answered my questions and offered friendly advice. Everyone is so helpful here, there's just a wealth of information. This board is great!

Zoom-zoom!!
  • capitanocapitano Member Posts: 509
    Leftover 626s are still around in some numbers. For people looking for a bread and butter sedan it is a viable option. And when a buyer sees how heavily discounted they are, the superiority of the 6 fades fast.

I 'd be curious to know how many of those 626 sales would have been 6 sales if the 626s were not left on the lots.
  • fowler3fowler3 Member Posts: 1,919
    "...the reason is simple. People don't want everyone else thinking they made the wrong decision."

True, also, they may have a few lingering doubts about the 6 and alternate suggestions reinforce them. Better to wait until those doubts are resolved. Don't let others do your shopping for you...even to which color.

Cars are more than transpertation, they are part of YOUR lifestyle. The car you buy brings along with it a certain amount of brand loyalty and membership in the group that favors the model.

You have to decide which brand, which model, and which group you want to belong to.

fowler3
  • markjennmarkjenn Member Posts: 1,142
    Silvercrown, I'm not familiar with the details, but I don't think PINs can be just handed to someone to use. They're keyed to the person who applied for it.

Many dealers are doing S-plan pricing for anyone, so it may not be an issue.

Good luck,

- Mark
  • mpiatekmpiatek Member Posts: 68
    Yes, you should be able to get the student discount in addition to S-plan pricing. My dealer said you get all the discounts that apply to you. I'm stoked that I'll be able to get the car for $500 under invoice. Doesn't get much better than that.

It looks like my car has been delayed. I still don't have a VIN yet, which concerns me since it's already been over 7 weeks since I ordered my car. The dealer claims it will still get here in the middle of May. There is a car with my exact configuration (minus wheel locks and trunk tray) on Mazda's online inventory, but I called Mazda up to find out more about it, and it looks like that car was ordered a few weeks before I ordered my car. It's coming in on May 12 though, so I'm going to get back in touch with the dealer to find out if I can get that car instead. It shouldn't be hard to add wheel locks and the trunk tray later.

Mike
    not sure about your LeSabre point. The dealers here are practically paying people to take them off lots. No one under the age of 70 drives one. Regardless of your point, the LeSabre is a bad way to make an example. If I showed up at anyone's house I know in a LeSabre, they'd think I popped a brain bolt.
  • dinu01dinu01 Member Posts: 2,586
    True enough :)

But the fact still remains ppl do not put driving feel, road holding, cornering and fun to drive before V6 w/AT when choosing a car...

Dinu
  • stretchsjestretchsje Member Posts: 700
    in case u do not know, Corolla would have been selling just as good without the redesign. This has something to do with reputation and brand image, in case u missed that class.

What are you talking about? Corolla sales nearly doubled from last year with the redesign. I'm surprised the '6 didn't follow this trend also, but don't really care much that it didn't. With Ford adapting the platform, parts will always be available, so I might as well have a unique car on the road. Shame on your marketing, Mazda. That Camry commercial invokes a much sportier image.
  • Lnelson1Lnelson1 Member Posts: 4
    Two weeks ago I ordered a 6i with Sport Pkg. The car is beautiful when viewed in the car lot. I had not seen any 6s on the street yet until yesterday. Now I am in a panic. I saw a 6 yesterday going down the street and it was UGLY! It did not have the sport package and I hope that makes a big difference, but the 6 without the sport package did not have attractive lines while moving and in the presence other cars. Don't get me wrong, I am a Mazda enthusiast, but I can not get over what I saw. Has anyone else experienced that the car looks great on the car lot, but NOT out on the street???
    I saw 5 Mz6 on the road. IMO, they looked EVEN better on the freeway than on the parking lot.
    waaay better.
    look at it this way.
    Corolla -> untarnished brand image, weld the hood shut forever image.

The one and only good competion to the corolla, in terms of sale was the Honda Civic. We all know what happened to the Civic, dont we?

So I, for one, am not all for attributing the corolla sales to simply the redesign. Sure it played a role, but a redesign does not always help but a botched competitors redesign helps.
  • stretchsjestretchsje Member Posts: 700
    No.

With the wheel covers, yes, but the shape of the car without the cladding/spoiler is still sexy.
    Actually I'm looking for a 6s without the Sport Package. It's a personal thing. The S/P is a little too "Here I Am" for my liking. Also, even though it won't matter to most, I prefer the slightly quiter ride of the 16's versus the 17's. I have talked to quite a few people who really like the clean looks without the S/P. But again, it's a personal choice.

I will probably try for a Lapis Blue 6s in two weeks. My first choice is Glacier Silver, but none are to be had in my area. There is also an Onyx Black, but I'm a little nervous with black in Upstate, NY. They also have two of the very dark grey cars that have been on the lot for a LONG time. It's not my color of choice, but if I can deal I may try for one.

What are peoples opinion on the Dark Grey metallic?
  • gatorm6gatorm6 Member Posts: 5
    Personally, I think certain colors look better with the sport package and some without. I like the red, blue, and black without the sport package, and the white, silver, and steel grey with.

In fact, I have just purchased a white Mazda 6 w/ sport package.
    No way.
    I saw one on the road. Looked like it was 2 years old.
    That color just does not make a new car look NEW.
  • bluem6ibluem6i Member Posts: 77
    I don't like it either, it looks nice on the website, but too bland in person, especially next to all the other colors.

I will admit that I wasn't that excited about the Lapis Blue on the lot but, it looks great in the driveway and walking up to it in parking lots. It is my wife's car, so she picked out the color. She has been getting several compliments a day on it. Many are asking her what kind of car it is. Has also had several young drivers drooling over it.