Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda6 Sedan

Comments

• the_big_hthe_big_h Member Posts: 1,583
    Mazda made to the Duratec block, is adding variable valve timing (S-VT in Mazda speak) to the cams and valves on top of the cylinders, allowing it to pump out more power at higher rpms (220hp compared to the 200hp 3.0 Duratec in the current Ford Taurus).

it's already an excellent block design (Ford sourced Cosworth and Porsche to design the block), the extra head work done by Mazda allows it to breathe better and more responsive.

anything I missed?
  • narenjinarenji Member Posts: 161
    Just did the paperwork for a 6i, but the dealer said that the brakes either hadn't been inspected since delivery or there was some sort of brake recall so they had to check the brakes before letting me drive off the lot with the car. They said it was state law or something. I was furious that they found this out after the paperwork was done. they filled up my protege so i could go home and return tomorrow to get the 6i. the really crappy part is that the dealer is 50 mi away!

anyone heard of this? do you think i just got duped into not taking the car home? i got $300 over inv and they gave me 8900 for my 01 pro es+1250 owner loyalty. they kept claiming how this is a "loss deal" or whatever because of how much they were giving me for my pro es in this soft used car market. are they trying somehow to get me for getting a supposedly "good deal?"
  • chikoochikoo Member Posts: 3,008
    New 3.0-liter V-6

The new Mazda 6 also offers a higher performance gasoline engine, a 3.0-liter aluminum V-6, optimized for low-friction efficiency and high power and torque output. The 24-valve engine also is equipped with sequential valve timing.

Powered by the 222-PS / 163 kW (219 HP) V-6 with S-VT, the engine achieves its peak horsepower at 6,250 rpm. Torque output peaks at 273 Nm (202 foot-pounds) at 4,500 rpm.

"The new V-6 with sequential valve timing gives Mazda 6 uncompromised power and torque," Saruwatari said. "We believe it is the ideal complement to the refined, fun-to-drive nature of the Mazda 6 chassis."

For maximum fuel efficiency, the new V-6 incorporates friction-fighting features. Roller finger cam followers, with bucket-style tappets, minimize valvetrain friction that could negatively impact fuel efficiency.

The V-6 also takes advantage of the same air cleaner with variable duct and reduced back-pressure exhaust strategies as the four-cylinder engine range.

The aluminum cylinder block is manufactured with iron cylinder liners for durability. Four main-bearing caps and two longitudinal stiffening rails are combined in one girdle casting that is bolted to the cylinder block. This girdle has nodular iron-stiffening inserts surrounded by die-cast aluminum.

A structural cast-aluminum oil pan strengthens the bottom of the block and provides a rigid engine-to-transmission connection.

Cast aluminum alloy cylinder heads feature a pentroof-shaped combustion chamber that provides a 10.0:1 compression ratio. Intake valves are 33.5 mm in diameter and exhaust valves are 28 mm in diameter for excellent breathing properties.

The engine's forged steel crankshaft has nine fully machined counterweights. Connecting rods are sinter-forged for fracture-splitting. Pistons are a lightweight design with a graphite and molybdenum coating that minimizes piston skirt-to-cylinder-wall friction.

A single silent chain - with hydraulic tensioning - drives both camshafts in each cylinder bank. Each tubular steel camshaft is assembled with sintered high-carbon steel lobes.

The intake manifold is a two-piece composite-plastic design lower component that is integrated with the fuel delivery rail.

Twin-spray top-feed injectors are supplied by a returnless fuel system and triggered sequentially in synch with each cylinder's intake valve opening. The fuel pump is located in the fuel tank and computer controlled to deliver a robust range of pressures, depending on demand. A rear electronic module commands the pump and monitors fuel-rail temperature to guard against vaporization; if the fuel is warm enough to verge on vapor formation, output pressure is raised to maintain mass flow at the injectors.

A coil-on-plug ignition system eliminates secondary leads by positioning one coil triggered by the powertrain control module immediately above each spark plug.
  • newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
    Tell me more about your deal. I have a 2001 ES also, how many miles did your have on it. $8900 sounds awfully good for a trade in. Did you get the 0% also?

"And which Ford models has the Duratech been used in?"

Taurus/Sable, Escape/Tribute, Contour/Mystique, and Lincoln LS/Jaguar S-type, Jaguar X-type.
  • dinu01dinu01 Member Posts: 2,586
    In no particular order.

'02-'03 Japan Car of the Year

Motoring 2003 Car of the Year: Canada

Great Austrian Automobile Award: Austria

Britain's Auto 1: Car of The Year: U.K

Fleet World Magazine: Best Newcomer Award: U.K

What Car Magazine: Car of the Year 2003 (Best Estate Car): U.K

New Car of the Year: Scotland

Semperit Irish Car of the Year: Ireland

Car of 2003 in Czech Republic

Family Car of the Year Sweden

European Car of the Year: 2nd place

Auto Blic magazine: Croatian Auto 1: Croatia

Best Car in Lithuania in 2003

2002 Good Design Award: Japan

2003 RJC Car of the Year: Japan

Japan Car Design Award : Japan

Car & Driver: The 2003 10 Best: USA

Le Moniteur Automobile: Family Car of the Year: Belgium

National Business Review: Car of the year: New Zealand

New Zealand Company Vehicle and Executive Car Magazine: Business Car of the Year: New Zealand The Press: Best Family Car: New Zealand

Sunday Star Times: Best Mid Size Car: New Zealand Australia's Best Car Awards: Best Mid-Size Car Over $25,000: Australia

The Straits Times: Best Medium Family Sedan / Hatchback: Singapore

The Straits Times: Best Large Family Saloon: Singapore

Auto magazine: Car of The Year(chosen by readers): Israel

Auto magazine: Best Premium Compact: Israel

Autoshow magazine: Car of the Year: Turkey

Yediot Aharonot: 2002 Car of the Year(chosen by readers and Y-net surfers): Israel

Mr. Car Magazine: 10 Best Car: Hong Kong

Men's Machines Magazine: 10 Best Car: Hong Kong

Any Car Magazine: 10 Best Car Hong Kong

2003 Slovenian car of the year

Car of the Year 2002 in Macedonia

Driver Magazine: Car of the Year: New Zealand

Saudi Car of the Year (Best Midsize Family Sedan) New Zealand Car of the Year

Autobild Magagine: European Auto1 Award (2nd Place)

Fleet News Magazine: Fleet News Awards 2003 (Best Upper Medium Car): UK

Auto Express: Overall winner of the Auto Express Ultimate Car Reliability Survey 2003: UK
    --------------------------------------------------

What amazes me about the 6 is that it really is a WORLD car, appreciated for its styling, practicality, handling, reliability, comfort, value and ultimately what draws us to it: FUN TO DRIVE - something it's cited for in EVERY review.

Cheers!
    Dinu
    well, i got the 0% for 60 mos with the $1250 owner loyalty. plus $8900 for the trade. total incl trade and loyalty cash for my trade was 10150, which was my payoff. I put $1000 down, and my payments are 340/mo incl a couple of accessories.

24k mi on the pro es w/ the following: 5spd, premium pkg (moonroof, spoiler, abs, side airbags). blue book value for a trade in "good" condition was right around $9300.
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    It's legit. Mazda had a recall on the MZ6 which essentially was a sticker than wasnt applied...The Gov. put a hold on delivering any MZ6's without this sticker.....Most dealers got this resloved the same day it came out but some dealers, including one of our mazda stores, didnt get enough stickers and we had to delay a couple deliveries to get more stickers...

It's a bit of a hassle but I can assure you that your dealer is following the rules and they are not doing anything fishy....It's nice to see you have a dealer who did the right thing and not slip you the MZ6 without the sticker being applied.
    thanks for the reassurance. i figured thus, because I've never had that experience. she printed me out an e-mail or some document that showed the recall notice with my VIN. i got rear mud guards and a cargo net thrown in for my inconvenience.
    i don'e know about the twin cities, but i walked into the dealer because of two reasons, 0% for 60mos AND the $1250 loyalty cash. if it weren't for the latter, i probably wouldn't have thought of getting the mz6 (i already have 0% on the Protege). I had the mentality that I wanted the Mazda6, but only if it was exactly the car I was looking for in terms of options. I wanted a 6i, 5spd, with ABS, in the colors of sepang green, lapis blue, and steel gray. And i wasn't desparate to trade my Protege. after all it had been a good car, fun to drive, and also had all the features I wanted. If you're too inclined to get the Mazda6 due to the novelty, you might not get that great a deal, because psychologically, your mind might be willing to accept a slightly inferior deal (not that my deal was the best). my mazda 6i had an msrp of $20800, options were 5spd, abs, srs/sac, prem pkg, wheel locks. good luck, the 6 is a massive improvement over the 626. what a transformation!
    I'm in the same position that you were. I don't really need to get rid of the Protege and I also have 0% on the Protege, but if I were to do this deal, my payments might actually be cheaper on the Mazda6, and I really like the Mazda6.

This is what I would want:

Mazda6i, nothing else. No options, just a plain ole Mazda6i. I'll take care of the rims.
  • bean3422bean3422 Member Posts: 183
    If you got 300 over invoice and 8900 trade on an almost 3 year old protege, you got a great deal. Usually dealers don't even come close to the Blue book trade value.

Plus you got the 1250 loyalty off, so you can somewhat legitimately say you bought the car for $950.00 less than invoice.

Congratulations!
  • gee35coupegee35coupe Member Posts: 3,387
    They have base I 5 speeds advertised for less than $15K. If you work from that price up you can see how Narenji got the nice deal on that trade.
  • joe2617joe2617 Member Posts: 88
    You should read the ads a little better. Dealer cost is waaay higher than 15K. I'm sure they are using the $1250 loyalty incentive + the college grad. rebate ect. ect. or its a demo or its a used car.
    But the actual price is $14767. That's durned cheap for a 6. Negotiating from that price would make for a great deal on a 6.
  • thegreatvudinithegreatvudini Member Posts: 103
    I guess someone just posted about a 6i base model purchased in the (SF) Bay area. Oak Tree and its sister dealer (Almaden) are having a sale on 6i's for $16,488. That's $2,662 off the base MSRP of $19,150 (old price). With the $500 college grad, it's $15,988. Less $1,250 rebate for Mazda owners, that's $14,738 for a spanking new base 6i MT. Zoom zoom?
  • akumazakumaz Member Posts: 65
    Is it against the rules to post the ads for such sales? If not, it would make for a great barganing tool besides "I read about it on an Internet message board!"

For anyone that has checked out the forums at mazdaatenza.com (GREAT forums there!), there is a wealth of info for owners and non-owners (like myself) alike. After seeing the pics of other owners cars, it's convinced me to go with the lip spoiler ^_^
  • aprilnapriln Member Posts: 25
    I'm the person that posted about buying a 6i for cheap in the SF Bay Area (on the What did you pay? thread). The "sale" was only for this past weekend, according to the dealer, and a whole 3 cars on the lot were being sold for that price - but they made me the same deal for a car that wasn't included.

I didn't qualify for the grad rebate, but with the $1000 Mazda loyalty and $250 Mazda credit rebate, the base price for my 6i was $15,238. With 0% for 60 months, and using the $1250 rebates as the down payment, I drove off the lot for $17,076 with no money down.

And this is definitely a brand new 6i MT, glacier silver, with 9 miles on the car - and most of those were from the two test drives I gave it! It was a great deal that I couldn't pass up, even though I wasn't planning to buy a car on my first visit to the dealer.

I hope it's not a problemt to post about this sale - but if you visit Oak Tree Mazda's website, you can see their newspaper ad for yourself. Considering I drove off the lot for less than invoice, I'm pretty damn happy. Zoom zoom!
  • caligirl94caligirl94 Member Posts: 24
    Looking for some advice/info here.

I have heard rumors that Armor All is actually bad for a car's dash, etc. and that in reality it can cause the surfaces to crack after repeated use. I read a board from several years ago that talked about this, but I couldn't find any current info on whether or not the company has changed the ingredients or fixed whatever the problem was. Anybody out there know anything about this?

Also, is using something like this even necessary? I thought the idea was to protect the dash from fading and help keep the materials in good condition. What's the truth?

Thanks in advance. :)
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    4 cyl MZ6 only......This is a heads up for all the do-it-yourselfers and those of you who use the quick change oil places....We have seen cases of DIY's and quick change places not properly installing the oil cartridge/o-ring and the oil runs out of the car as the consumer drives away. By the time it's realized, the engine is starting to seize.....this is not covered under the mazda warranty since the problem was caused by faulty work by the people doing the oil change service.

So, if your not using a Mazda dealership for your routine maintance..... double/triple check the installation of the oil cartridge and O-ring.
  • arockwelarockwel Member Posts: 33
    I've heard those rumors, as well. *However*, I've used Armor All on my '94 Integra for years and it looks and feels as good as new...
  • seafseaf Member Posts: 339
    Have oil leak after an oil changes is not specific to 6i MZ6's. I've seen it happen on other makes and models with quick lube places. The bottom line is, whether you do it youself, or have someone else do it, make sure there aren't oil leaks afterwards.

There have been a few people who changed the oil in their MZ6's here, I wonder if they encountered this. And was the "special" tool mentioned in the manual needed to make sure everything is done right?
  • accord7accord7 Member Posts: 96
    I visited my local Mazda dealer this past weekend, and most of the 6's had a common problem. I noticed the passenger airbag cover and the storage compartment lid on top of the dash were discolored. The cars have been sitting out in the hot sun, and apparently fade under extreme heat. It's not a real serious issue, but it did hurt the appearance of the interiors.
  • silvercrownsilvercrown Member Posts: 237
    I have a better understanding of the Duratec engine and the Mazda version of it used in the MZ6. I had no idea that Ford used Porsche as a designer for any of their engines. Very interesting.

I knew that the Duratec was used in the Taurus/Sable models, but I didn't know that it was used in any Lincoln or Jaguar vehicles. That surprised me.

It sounds like it has a timing chain instead of a belt. Or just the Mazda version of it? Either way, I guess that's an advantage, right?

It seems like the Duratec is a very good engine and is generally underrated. I never heard much discussion about it, good or bad. With the modifications that Mazda has made to it, it should prove to be an awesome machine. Actually, I'm counting on that! LOL

The wealth of knowledge on this board never ceases to amaze me ...
  • haironghairong Member Posts: 153
    The 2.5L Duratec was one of Ward's 10 best engine for 2(3?) years, 1st the basic version then the SVT version.

Jag's 3.0 is more complicated than Mazda's mod, but it is expected, to have better NVH (smoother/quieter) to go with more power (240HP).
  • xplorx4xplorx4 Member Posts: 621
    Does the 4-cyl 2.5L engine use a timing belt or a chain?

Does the 6-cyl 3.0L engine use a timing belt or a chain? (The Duratec spec post implied that the engine uses a timing chain, but it would be nice to know for certain.)

Thanks.
  • mazda6smazda6s Member Posts: 1,901
    They both have chains, but the 4-cyl is 2.3L not 2.5L.
    Mazda number 3 for me.

Protege gone to the dealer for $8700, 2001 ES 29,000 miles, no options.

Mazda6i manual with premium package, $200 below invoice plus $1250 rebate and 0% for 60 months. The payment is cheaper than the Protege's was.

Tee hee hee
  • theparallaxtheparallax Member Posts: 361
    CONGRATS!
    bean, how do you figure i got it for 950 below inv? i think i got a fair deal, not the best. the best would have been if the guy gave me blue book value (9400), applied the 1250 =10650, and given me $300 to use towards downpayment. then if i had gotten the car for around inv, my monthly payment would have been aroud $338 w/ the 300 as downpayment. my payments are 340 w/1000 dwn, because i had about 200 dollars neg equity still. so it's not the best deal, but what can you expect trading in a two plus year old mazda protege in such a soft used car market...

newcar, great job on your deal too. how much down if you don't mind me asking?
    Way to go!!!!
    narenji-I didn't put anything down. That's the cool part.
  • mazdafunmazdafun Member Posts: 2,329
    sniff...we'll miss you on the Protege boards. :)
    I'll still be on the Protege boards for a while trying to sell my winter tires and wheels....
  • capitanocapitano Member Posts: 509
    is no money down the cool part? To me that is part and parcel of the deal. I won't be putting any money down when I buy.
  • drumm01drumm01 Member Posts: 97
    MazdaSpeed-tuned Miata to begin production late this year

The next MazdaSpeed-tuned car, the Miata, begins production in December in Japan and arrives in U.S. showrooms soon after that, as early as January. It will carry a Japanese turbocharger underhood.

Stick to it

Mazda officials tell us they’re sold out of 2003 Mazda 6s with V6 engines and five-speed manual transmissions. That’s because of a bigger-than-anticipated rush for the highest-powered 6 with a manual and lesser interest in automatic four-cylinders. Who says sticks are dead? The 2004 V6-powered 6 with five-speed manual goes on sale in July, without much of a price hike over 2003.
    It's cool to me because I didn't want to have to pay any money out of my pocket. To me, that's "part and parcel" of the deal too. The whole deal was easy, nothing really changed except my payment is cheaper for a longer period of time.
  • the_big_hthe_big_h Member Posts: 1,583
  • dinu01dinu01 Member Posts: 2,586
    Dude, you got a cool car! :) Congrats! I'm living the joy of a new M6 through you now. My 01 PRO ES now has 38750 flawless miles on it.

You guys are so lucky in the US. Mazda Canada still has 4.9/48mths and 5.9/60mths financing on all Mazda6 models (:

Dinu

PS: What does the Sport package include in the US? In Canada it's 17" alloys, leather-wrapped steering wheel, hand-brake and shift knob.
  • cookie01cookie01 Member Posts: 369
    black leather or cloth (otherwise you get grey or tan).
    Of course the sports also have ground effects.

I was behind a white Mz6 yesterday. First white I've seen without the sport package. Two things:
    are the tail pipes smaller in Non sport? I wash my car all the time, so I wipe the pipes too, this white Mz6 seems to have smaller (but still two) pipes.
    Also, I don't like the back look as much without the effects. You see too much of the underside of the car.

Just my opinion.
  • ambullambull Member Posts: 255
    If I remember right, you also get electro-luminescent red gauges, fog lights, and oval exhaust tips instead of round ones.
  • capitanocapitano Member Posts: 509
    In casual conversation at the office, I mentioned that I was going to be entering the car market soon because I am almost done paying off the wife's Civic. A co-worker mentioned that he like that with his protege. I asked how he liked it. He said he only had one complaint and that was the defroster. He said next time he'd probably move up to the 626.

Exploiting the opening I gave him a quick run down of the 6 and how great it was. Took him to the website. Showed him the photos. Couldn't get the 360s to come up (lacking the QT plugin cuz I have the privileges of a peon here at work). He asked about price and I showed him the Edmunds TMV function. I showed him the incentives and that he was eligible for the loyalty cash. I emphasized that the car was new from the ground up and was sportier than the competition.

So there is one more person out there who knows.
  • fowler3fowler3 Member Posts: 1,919
    it wouldn't surprise me if a huge number of car buyers drive off the lot and never become "fans" of their brands, never stay on top of what is happening. Look at how many people drive yet never subscribe to car magazines.

fowler3

Congrats Todd! Enjoy your new ride!

Doubt I will be buying a 6 anytime soon. Still owe $5K on my '01 Pro LX. Payment is $183 month. Think what it would take to equal that on a 6i?
  • qddaveqddave Member Posts: 164
    I found this article on www.autoweek.com. I states that Ford will also use the 6 platform for more than just cars.

http://www.autoweek.com/cat_content.mv?port_code=autoweek&cat- _code=carnews&loc_code=index&content_code=06279828
    Nobody who I work with knew what a Mazda6 was.
  • bean3422bean3422 Member Posts: 183
    I have taken at least 5 people by for test drives, no one has bought one yet, but they all loved it, and plan to buy one when they are ready financially. They were all talking about Accords.

People just have to drive it...if Mazda dealers were smart they would have a test Accord and Camry sitting there so people could compare them right away, then they would definitely be convinced. Obviously there is risk in that, but those people probably would not have bought anyway. At least it would show a huge level of confidence in their product.
  • doying5doying5 Member Posts: 83
  • tmanmiatatmanmiata Member Posts: 79
    doying, thanks for the video link! That video really got me excited.
    I have been lurking around this thread for quite a while. I will probably be in the market for a new car next year. I went to the Rev It Up in Dallas. Really love the MZ6. But I also like the RX-8 from what I have read so far, even I have not driven one. I am tore between the 2. On the practical side MZ6(hatch) is better, but my heart tells me I "need" a RX-8. Anybody has the same struggle?
  • mazda6smazda6s Member Posts: 1,901
    Them (anybody): "What car are you thinking about getting?"
    Me: "a Mazda 6"
    Them: "a Mazda 626?"
    Me: "No, Mazda 6"
    Them: "yeah, a 626"
    Me: "No, Mazda 6"
    Them: <blank stare>
  • himilerhimiler Member Posts: 1,209
    Maybe Mazda should've just called it "626."
  • mazdamarlamazdamarla Member Posts: 350
    Me: "the new Mazda 6"