Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda6 Sedan

Comments

• fowler3fowler3 Member Posts: 1,919
    for side air bags, the jury is still out on that one, according to insurers. But since they are available WHY NOT get them?

Many people have been killed due to head injuries in accidents, side air bags could have prevented or reduced those to recoverable wounds. In small cars I wonder if they would be effective? A big car, SUV or truck would hit a small car with enough force crush the entire side inward. Those door *beams* (steel broom handles) are useless.

When we discussed this earlier, I went out later and was almost T-boned at an intersection by a driver in a big car. It was dark and he didn't look both ways before entering the intersection from a parking lot. That big Buick would have crushed my Protege.

fowler3
  • daywattsdaywatts Member Posts: 2
    I drive about 30,000 miles a year. The last car I had was a Protege and I'm considering changing to the 6. Does it really get around 30mpg? (25/32mpg is claimed) Also the dealer is offering a price of 17,500; all stuff included (for the i model) Is this a good price? Thanks for any replies...I have to make a decision soon!
  • stretchsjestretchsje Member Posts: 700
    aromas: here. Takes 15-30 minutes, and is about as easy as removing the floor mats. Almost. The V6 needs even more air, so gains should be higher still.

daywtts: At the Mazda meet, a V6 MT driver reported 32mpg on his last road trip. He has 10,000 miles on his '6, and reports that mileage keeps getting better. That was with the cruise control set at 75mph, normal day, passengers. I've got 6000 miles on my i4 MT, and have been getting about the same mileage as my wife's Camry in the city- roughly 23mpg in awful traffic. I'd say my car meets estimates- my last road trip averaged 30mpg, and that was with 4 adults, the A/C, and the cruise set to a high 85mph. I guess my numbers aren't good examples, but I do drive hard :-/
  • silvercrownsilvercrown Member Posts: 237
    It seems like VVT (which I guess is similar to VTEC in Honda engines) and SVT are 2 different things and the 6s has SVT. The VVT or VTEC sounds like it has some advantages over SVT.

Or maybe SVT and VTEC are two different types of VVT and the VTEC is the more advanced type of VVT? I'm still not exactly sure about the terminology of these systems. I guess the important thing for me to know is that the Mazda engine has SVT.

The animated pictures on How Stuff Works.com and the sketches on the Duratec board helped a lot. Fowler3's layperson's explanation was also very helpful, it was very clear and easy to read. And I learned some more interesting points.

I didn't know that gasoline engines shouldn't work, in theory. That's amazing and scary all at the same time. Thank Heaven they do work after all!!
  • daywattsdaywatts Member Posts: 2
    Glad to have the info. The 6 is definitely the nicer car so now I feel better about the decision knowing the mileage is good. Now all I have to do is get the dealer to meet my price offer of 17,500. Any suggestions?
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    I would personally get them if they are available. I prefer to have every safety feature in the car that I can have, whether I need it or not.
  • mjvchicagomjvchicago Member Posts: 149
    Wow... awesome step-by-step. But I missed what the benefit was - more power? Better mileage? I'm guessing the former. About 5HP would you say? Also, what are the negatives to the mod? Does the ECM have to be recalibrated to adjust for the change in airflow? Wonder if this would void the warranty.
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Member Posts: 2,287
    As I posted earlier, if the manufacturer can trace any problem with the vehicle to the modification, they will not be liable under the warranty. Legally, the burden is theirs. Practically, since all they have to do is not pay, they can easily shift this burden to you. Whether they will or not is another question, as is whether the mod would in fact cause any problems.

If you choose to modify your vehicle, you should be willing to accept any adverse consequences. It's your car, do what you want. But, you should be willing to accept any results thereof.
  • combustible1combustible1 Member Posts: 264
    I did a search and found a couple with the side air bags. Now, need to find out if they were ordered for a customer, or if they're regular stock.

Speaking of spotting the 6, I saw 3 this weekend. All Sports pkg.'s, one steel grey and one blue 10 minutes apart on Friday. Then, a silver sports yesterday.

That brings it to about 25 seen here in Illinois. (I would hope so, there's like 20 Mazda dealers in a 100 mile radius!)
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    As somebody who has been in a few bad accidents in which the safety features made a difference.....forget all the statistics about the odds of "needing" them. The one time you do "need" them isnt worth saving a few dollars in my book.
  • newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
    How's the oil change on the 6i for the DIYer? Is the internal oil filter just like any other internal or is there something special about it? Is it just a matter of taking the cap off, pulling the element out and replacing the gasket(s)?

Also, will not using 5W20 void the warranty? I like to use synthetic and I don't think Mobil makes a 5W20 synthetic yet.

BTW, Stretch, I like your car. That's what I want my car to look like.
    EVERYTHING you wanted to know and more, and very well explained:

Here. What we have on the Mazda6 (both engines) is similar to a single VANOS system, which is what BMW uses.
    Changing the oil in the 6i is easy. There's a bolt that makes draining the oil from where the filter goes easy. The oil filter is a cartridge, but it's no big deal. It should be one of the cleaner cars to change the oil in.

Don't use 5w20- Mazda only recommends that for all their cars because it increases their corporate fuel efficiency rating. What's the acronym for that? Regardless, by switching to 5w30 or synthetic, you'll get a longer-lasting, better-protected engine, and lose about 1/10th of a mile per gallon.
    Wow... awesome step-by-step. But I missed what the benefit was - more power? Better mileage? I'm guessing the former. About 5HP would you say? Also, what are the negatives to the mod? Does the ECM have to be recalibrated to adjust for the change in airflow? Wonder if this would void the warranty.

You can see the dyno results on the page I sent you. Total gain was actually 12hp, measured by a guy in Australia. Their engine peaks 500rpm higher than ours, so our gains are likely a little smaller.

There really aren't any negatives to the modification. In fact, if instead of removing the resonator, you cut a forward-facing hole in it, the car's sound shouldn't even change. Personally, I removed the resonator and the engine cover because I like the sound better that way. It's deeper and meaner at wide-open throttle.

The parts you are removing are there for only one thing: sound. They are all pre- air filter, and completely static with no electronics. I cannot conceive any possible way this could void any part of the warranty, and the mechanic at my dealer agreed with me on that. However, as JohnClineii said, it's still at your own risk.

To reset your ECU, unplug the battery, but this isn't necessary. It's readjusts automatically over time.
  • xplorx4xplorx4 Member Posts: 621
    CAFE: Corporate Average Fuel Economy.

More here:
    http://www.epa.gov/otaq/cert/factshts/fefact01.pdf
  • uvacheuvache Member Posts: 3
    The page posted by strechsje is useful, but there is still some to be clarified. First of all, w.r.t to Ford, SVT = special vehicle team, and has nothing to do with valve timing. VVT means variable valve timing, as explained before, and basically allows the valves to open at different times during a combustion cycle, and for different durations, depending on rpm. The Mazda6 has VVT. VTEC, a Honda invention, is similar. The valve timing changes, but Honda also has a different set of valves that operate. So, with VTEC, whenever you cross a threshold RPM, you change the set of valves that open and close. VTEC is what allows honda engines to be competitive performance-wise, yet still have good fuel economy compared to similar engines. Hope that helps.
  • seafseaf Member Posts: 339
    is Mazda does use variable valve technology in its Mazda6's engines to produce a flat and high torque throughout the engine's RPM range. Other manufacturers accomplish the same goals using different techniques and calling it different names. Torque x RPM = HP. Engines without VVT technology usually have a torque curve that only peaks in a narrow RPM range. VVT allows smaller displacement engines to try to match the torque generated by larger displacement (and fuel-guzzling) non-VVT engines.

I personally don't bother trying to understand all the little differences between how one carmaker does it versus another, unless you're into modifying engines and repairing such machines. The end results are what matters and are obvious in the torque/hp vs RPM curves of the cars.
  • ambullambull Member Posts: 255
    Hope this excerpt from http://www.carseverything.com/content/previews/mazda/article/1346- - .3/
    clears up some confusion between Ford's SVT and Mazda's S-VT (sequential valve timing):

Mazda's S-VT allows the point at which the engine's valves open and close and the duration they stay open to change with operating conditions, such as engine speed and air volume. Varying these parameters allows the engine to operate more efficiently at all engine speeds while maintaining drivability, improving power, fuel economy and emissions. Traditionally, camshafts open and close intake and exhaust valves at fixed points in the engine cycle, regardless of engine speed or air volume.
  • rmgpsurmgpsu Member Posts: 11
    I didn't see a response to your questions, so here's my take...

1. My drivers seat has a plastic covering between the seat bottom and the floor, which prevents you from reaching (and storing things) under the seat. I like this touch because I was notorious for letting drink bottles get lodged under the seat in my old car. I'm not sure if the passenger seat has this same feature. CD cases do fit nicely in the center arm-rest. Personally, I use a CD "envelope" attached to the visor, which works pretty well.

2. I have the Bose, and am very pleased with it. Certain base frequencies will resonate the doors (and mirrors for that matter) at higher volumes, but overall the system performs well. One thing I have noticed is that certain music genres IMO sound noticeably better than others with the Bose...perhaps this is typical of all systems. Your best bet is take a listen for yourself, and don't be afraid to try out the music that you prefer. If you're a serious audiophile, you can certainly compile a better stereo system in the 6, but for someone like myself who wants a good, powerful system without the aftermarket headaches, the Bose is worth a look.

3. I prefer a "smaller" feeling car myself, mostly for maneuverability, and the feeling of being able to control the whole car. I think the 6 is deceptive...to me it appears small on the outside, but has ample space in the interior, and a huge trunk as well. I'm 6'-3" and fit just fine. My last car was an MX-6, and the transition has been very easy. You won't have difficulty parking the car, but U-turns are another story. The turning radius, as others have mentioned, is not the greatest. If you get the sport package, just watch out for those curbs when parking.

4. I would search previous posts for aftermarket leather...there is a lot of info on this subject.

Hope this helps.
    as noted, the 6 doesn't have the best turning radius number, and there has been concern expressed about it. So, I took it for a test drive and got it in a parking lot, making the tightest turn possible. And....

I didn't see it being any problem at all.. seemed really tight to me! (Maybe I'm missing some important aspect when it comes to turning radius, I don't know?? I pretended as if I was on the narrowest side street, making the tightest possible U-turn, and it seems absolutely fine. *shrugs shoulders*)

Aftermarket leather, depending on the provider, of course, is typically of better quality than the factory. (and you may pay an extra 1 or 2 bills for it too).

On that same test drive, I was very dissappointed with the cloth seat comfort, sore after like 20 minutes! (and everybody here had been saying how great the seats were.. so imagine my disappointment) Then, I sat in a car at the dealer with aftermarket leather. Sat there about 15-20 minutes, with my butt still sore from the test drive, and it felt much better.. my butt fatique dissipated.

But, enough about my butt. :P
  • mazda6smazda6s Member Posts: 1,901
    "Maybe I'm missing some important aspect when it comes to turning radius, I don't know??"

Yeah, you didn't get out a tape measure and measure it exactly! :)
    now, that would reeeally be anal!

(pun intended)
  • rmgpsurmgpsu Member Posts: 11
    There were 3 things that made me question the turning radius on this car...

1. When I pull into parking spots, I notice that I am cutting it a lot closer to the adjacent car's bumper than I used to. It's difficult to describe...maybe someone else can word it better. Seems more prevalent when turning into spots on the right, and being close to the bumper of the car on the left.

2. I noticed a difference when making the same turnaround or U-turn in a different car, closely followed by the same turn in the 6.

3. I read it somewhere, and assumed it was true.

Or maybe I'm just a bad driver...
  • akumazakumaz Member Posts: 65
    I was wondering if anyone was going to respond.

1. That's what I figured. My main reason is that I have a huge CD carrying case (about the width of 2 normal cases) that I swear by. I guess I could break down and go smaller in that sense. I understand why they would create thhe barrier between the seat and floor though.

2. Can the Bose system be done by the dealer? I can't find a 6i with ABS and Bose without reaching the upper limits of pricing. I have no problems doing aftermarket stuff- although I'm no audiophile like those at the mazdaatenza forums- but I'd prefer to not worry about upgrades so soon. If the stock system has the ability to get better (if it makes sense about what I said earlier), I'm all for that too.

3. I figure that the turning radius is something I'll get adjusted to in time. I forgot about the first test drive I took with the 6s (November), and it seemed more than fine to me then. Parallel parking should be the same.

4. The cloth wouldn't bother me so much if it didn't remind me of my '91 Cavalier- door panels included. If there was some way to change out the door panels with decent-looking aftermaket ones, this would be moot point. But I guess I'm weird like that.

I'm gearing up to go negotiate this weekend. I'd feel better about taking this huge step if I felt absolutely comfortable driving a stick (I've only had 3 weeks worth of lessons). However, the car I've located might not be there much longer so I have to make some sort of move soon.
    Have you heard the Bose system? I really don't think it is much better than the stock system, and certainly don't think it is worth the money. But, YMMV.
  • pubdefpubdef Member Posts: 14
    Being that it's nearly impossible to find a decently-optioned 6cyl manual tran M6 (I'm in South Florida), does anyone have any idea when the 04's might be hitting the dealers?

Thanks!
  • dinu01dinu01 Member Posts: 2,586
    Judging by the lack of availability of M6 V6s w/MT, you might as well order one exactly how you want it...

Dinu
  • jason777jason777 Member Posts: 56
    The turning radius on this car is large.

I remember one of the reviewers saying the same thing.

The car has a few problems, one of them being the turning radius.

Hopefully they will fix some of its issues next year.

Jason.
  • accord7accord7 Member Posts: 96
    I was looking at the "build your 6" section on Mazda's web site. They now offer a "Value Sports Package" that seems to be body parts only, not the 17" wheels or gauges you get with the regular Sports Package. Does this mean it is built this way at the factory, or are these parts added at the dealer?
    I don't know why they'd create that package... the 17" wheels are both the only actual peformance upgrade and the best looking part of the sports package.
  • pubdefpubdef Member Posts: 14
    Are you suggesting an order for an 04 or an 03? It also seems to me that none of the dealers I've visited will "take an order" for a specific configuration. Right or wrong, they give the impression it's just not done.

Paul
  • fowler3fowler3 Member Posts: 1,919
    •I didn't know that gasoline engines shouldn't work, in theory. That's amazing and scary all at the same time. Thank Heaven they do work after all!!*

silvercrwon, that's why the Block is heavy cast metal. Thick walls. ;)

Turning circle: There may be a good reason Mazda made the turning circle larger than normal for the size of the car. Fast steering and wheels that turn too much might be dangerous in certain situations.

I think it is about the same as on some mini-vans, 37.8ft., for a U-turn.

Of course, the safest way to make a U-turn most people will never take the time to do it. Or for that matter, to make a left turn across three or four lanes of on-coming traffic. Simply "go-with-the-flow", turn right and drive down a block until you can work your way over to a left turn lane at an intersection or into a parking lot. Make the turn and then do the U-turn in the parking lot and return to the main traffic and direction you wanted. I have found this to be faster many times.

Advantage: You don't have to watch traffic from opposite directions and misjudge approaching speeds.

I can hear it now, "Yeah, but I am always in a hurry!" So are all the other drivers, that's why there are accidents tying up intersections.

Some people:
    (1) Can't seem to judge distances accurately, such as between cars when pulling into parking spaces.

(2) They pull in too close to other cars and park too close to them so their doors can't open wide enough to get out.

(3) Can't park in a space unless other cars are parked on either side.

(4) Don't know where their wheels are at any given time. Yes, I know they are on the car. What I mean is being able to steer so the wheels are exactly where you want them, on highways and parking.

(5) Let the car take them for a ride; instead of practicing good driving habits while on the way.

Parallel parking a car isn't nearly as difficult as parallel parking a 23ft boat to a dock with other boats ahead and behind the space you are trying to manuver into -- without hitting the other boats and the dock. Boats are always moving even when at the dock -- the wind and the water -- they are never still. Suppose two cars are parallel parked and moving a little forward and backward as you try to get between them at the curb -- think that would make you nervous? Not if you know your car well.

fowler3
    So a minor fumble with the fader adjustment and all of a sudden I have ALC activated and set on level 2 turning what used to be just U2 "Where the Streets Have No Name" becomes a bass-infused rock concert! Has anyone else experienced this? I know ALC will adjust the volume according to speed, but it seems like it also adjusts the bass beyond what the manual adjustments are. I liked the Bose as it was, but with the ALC, it sounded even better!
  • glideslopesglideslopes Member Posts: 431
    ALC seems to also function as a "loudness" control as well as volume. At least IMO anyway.

Mark.
  • dinu01dinu01 Member Posts: 2,586
    I heard MazdaUSA dealers will no longer take orders for the 03 models (right guys?). You may be able to order a 2004 though...

Here in Toronto my dealer has a few (4-5 tops) M6 vehicles in front of the store all being used for test drives or being driven by their staff, along with many Proteges and P5s (way too many IMO), a few MPVs, one or 2 B-series trucks and Tributes. They hold their stock at the rear of the service area, where few customers venture - there they have many vehicles of each Mazda model, with the exception of V6-equipped M6s... Interesting, isn't it?

Now about dealers not taking orders, maybe audia8q and/or maltb can confirm that for the US. You might be able to get a dealer to accept an order in a few weeks when 2004s start being built...

Here in Canada the car debuted as a 2004 model BTW.

Dinu
  • ramped1ramped1 Member Posts: 159
    There's plenty of them in Central Florida. Went on the website of Orlando's largest Mazda dealer and there were 29 6s manuals listed in the inventory. Most were gray or yellow. They ain't scarce around here.
  • chikoochikoo Member Posts: 3,008
    >>>Turning circle: There may be a good reason Mazda made the turning circle larger than normal for the size of the car. Fast steering and wheels that turn too much might be dangerous in certain situations.<<<<

Not to mention that a larger turning radius means a larger wheel well, which will intrude into the footwell, leaving you with a lesser amount of flat foot space.
    Most cars have speed-sensitive steering where steering becomes less sensitive at higher speeds than when you're trying to parallel park. Tighter turning may mean bigger wheel wells, which can intrude into interior space and sacrifice structure also. I doubt car designers want to desgin a car that has a large turning radius consciously, it's usually a tradeoff they had to make.
  • xplorx4xplorx4 Member Posts: 621
    Chikoo wrote:
    Not to mention that a larger turning radius means a larger wheel well, which will intrude into the footwell, leaving you with a lesser amount of flat foot space.

Huh? image How does turning radius have anything to do with size of the wheel well? No offense, chikoo, but I don't understand your logic here. Turning radius has to do with how far from straight-ahead the wheels will turn. Are you suggesting that if the wheels can only turn 1 degree from right or left that the wheel wells would be huge? I think it's the other way around- a tighter turning radius would mean larger (i.e. deeper, not larger diameter) wheel-wells, so that the tires don't rub against the frame/unibody. Perhaps you mistyped...

I also disagree with the statement that a large turning radius has to do with how fast the steering responds. At high speeds it doesn't take much steering angle (10 degrees, perhaps?) to induce loss of control. How far do you have to turn the steering wheel to make the front wheels turned at 10 degrees? Steering "quickness" and turning radius are unrelated.

Turning radius has to do with how much room there is between the front wheels, how the suspension links connect to the wheels, the front suspension geometry, how the steering rack is designed, and many other factors I'm sure I don't know about. A tight turning radius is not merely useful for making U-turns. It increases maneuverability, most often at very low speeds, such as when parking or when turning around in a tight alleyway.

Also, speed-sensitive steering doesn't change the rate at which the wheels turn, it only changes the amount of power-steering assist. (In other words, if you drive 45 mph and turn the steering wheel 90 degrees, the front wheel angle is the same as if you're driving 5mph, but at 5mph it will be a lot easier to turn.)
    For a minute there, yes, right down there! I thought I was in the MPV forum reading The Turning Circle if you dare!! All this flurry, and scurry, over turning in a hurry brings worry too near. Let's take this topic to the top of Mt. Crumpit, and dump it!!!

Boo Who.
  • barrysobarryso Member Posts: 66
    The automatic level control not only changes the volume depending on speed, but it also seems to change bass output as well.

When you have come to a stop (and the volume goes down automatically) you can't just turn up the volume and get the same sound as you did when driving at 60+ mph. There isn't as much bass when the car isn't moving.
    Very interesting... I love the sound when the ALC is on. And it's not too much of a hassle to have to lower volume if it's too loud. Seems anti-intuitive though. I mean shouldn't the bass get louder when you're going slower and cruising to get more attention rather than when you're going highway fast and the windows are most likely up? Just kidding!
    Anyone willing to speculate whether or not any changes will come with the 2004 models? I think it may stay pretty much the same and just the stamping machine will be updated to say 2004 instead of 2003.

I hope the plants continuously make fixes to things that come up thoughout the model year though so you don't have to wait for a new model year to get certain internals/rattles fixed. Am I wrong to make this assumption?
  • tomcat630tomcat630 Member Posts: 854
    "MAZDA6 Sales Shine Through June Gloom"

From PRNewswire: "Mazda today (7/1/03) reported sales for the highly acclaimed MAZDA6 sports sedan
    reached an all-time high 7,645 units in June -- a 55 percent increase from May 2003."

What does the person who claimed that the Mazda6 is an "unmitigated flop" have to say now????
    I really think those of you who think ALC had a "loudness" control built into it are hearing things. I hear no difference at all, and my stereo is quite capable of reproducing any spiked bass or treble.

For 2004, I doubt the car will see any physical changes. Heck, the car is the 2004 model already in Canada. I'm sure we'll see more V6 manual transmissions and sport packages being built, and pricing will probably change too.

We've already seen the addition of the "value" sports pacakge, which has the cladding but not the 17" wheels or the LED guages. Way to go, Mazda, why not just call it the "worst of the Sports Package" package, since it gets rid of the only performance enhancing parts.
    Where are gee and anonymous when you need them?

Hint: 03 Accord Problems and Solutions.
    if we continue like last month, Mazda will exceed their goal. Too bad it was with incentives, albeit only on certain packages. I'm sure new option packages will even things out a smidge.

Well, the uniqueness lasted for 7 months for me. It was fun!
  • mazda6smazda6s Member Posts: 1,901
    but it will never sell 400000 units per year. ;o)
    Thank goodness. I want it to be just popular enough to influence other manufacturers to make sporty cars.

Though, I don't think anyone knows the recipe quite like Mazda.
  • pzevpzev Member Posts: 807
    This is just speculation on my part, but the Mazda3 has all but been confirmed to have available HID, leather, 17" alloys with a sport package, and will have standard 4-wheel discs. Somehow I don't see Mazda ignoring the Mazda6 and not giving it some high-end options like HID, ESP, and possibly a navigation system. There's even talk right now that the Mazda3 will have almost the same interior room as the Mazda6 but that remains to be seen. With the arrival of the wagon and hatchback in the Spring next year it seems HID and some other stuff would start to be offered. If it doesn't happen at the beginning of the 2004 model year then when the wagon and hatchback are offered I would suspect some more options would be offered. More importantly though hopefully the option packages will be set up better.