Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda6 Sedan

Comments

• thegreatvudinithegreatvudini Member Posts: 103
    Just my guess..
    Mazda built 2 yellow, one 6i (yours) and one 6s (mine).

On a different subject..
    Does anyone know if you can add mud guards to a car with the Appearance Package (side skirts and all)? It appears that they only sell rear flaps, not the front ones. Thanks,
    Vudini
  • ashutoshsmashutoshsm Member Posts: 1,007
    Does anyone know if you can add mud guards to a car with the Appearance Package (side skirts and all)?

Can't add mudguards if you have side sills (identical in appearance and sport package) or if you have the Spor Packag bumper or the bumper with the Appearance package rear lip.

Both websites that sell M6 parts say so clearly.
  • gee35coupegee35coupe Member Posts: 3,387
    In the Town Center area of Atlanta. Guess that makes 3.
  • dinu01dinu01 Member Posts: 2,586
    On a truck on the highway. That truck was a looker :) Had 2 silver P5 also on it.

Dinu
  • jcliffrojcliffro Member Posts: 108
    If Mazda had good marketing sense and judgment, they should make side air bags & curtains standard equipment on at least all 6s models. But to require someone like me who will NOT buy a new vehicle without side air bags & curtains or a vehicle WITH a sunroof or leather to have no alternative but to purchase another vehicle is totally senseless. According to what I have read, although the 6 is a great car, it has not sold particularly well. I was planning to wait to purchase a 6s hatchback when they come out, but I don't want to load the vehicle up with a sport package, a sunroof and leather JUST to get an essential piece of safety equipment like side air bags. A company that uses that kind of bad judgment, to me, is a company worth boycotting. I would prefer to look at a Saab, Maxima or G35.
  • akumazakumaz Member Posts: 65
    Hey marla. I was curious as to how your 6i AT is holding up. How is the 6 experience now that it's more broken-in? What about mileage? Transmission? I'm still on the sidelines, but I'll be buying in the next few months (I'm waiting to see what happens with the hatchback myself).
  • glideslopesglideslopes Member Posts: 431
    I'm not Marla. However, I do own a 6s AT with 8,000 miles purchased in 5/03. I'm getting around 22mpg 70/30 Hwy/City. I brought it in for the brake recall. No other issues. No rattles, suspension noises, or CEL lights. The transmission has been flawless. I do my own oil changes. I run Mobil 1 0W-20. My MPG has been the same since 4,500 miles. Running Mobil 1 brought it up .5.

Good Luck.

Mark. : )
  • mazdamarlamazdamarla Member Posts: 350
    Got my car 7/10/03, and it now has ~1800 miles on it. No problem other than that CEL that came on 3 weeks after I bought it. Had to have an evaporation canister thingie replaced under warranty. Had another CEL come on a couple weeks ago, but found out that that was caused because my Homelink autodimming mirror had been hooked into the wrong wire, so it was causing some voltage overload and throwing out that CEL light. The dealer re-wired the mirror correctly. Now the mirror doesn't freak out on me anymore like it did, and I haven't had any CEL since either.

I am going to check my mpg again beginning the next time I fill up. The first time I checked it about a month ago, I was getting a little over 25mpg with mostly city driving, no A/C running. I'll check it again to see if it's changed much since then. :)
  • barrysobarryso Member Posts: 66
    Only had seen 1 M6 in the southern part of Jersey for months. That was a silver sport model in Margate about 4 months ago.

Haven't seen one since.

This weekend we saw 3 in one day. Finally!

Now we joke about selling the M6 because it is getting "too common".
  • microrepairmicrorepair Member Posts: 508
    jcliffro 100% and in fact I just emailed Mazda yesterday stating that I want the SAB/SAC but cannot buy it with a moonroof due to the reduced headroom. And I do NOT want a sport package. Unless they decouple the safety stuff from the appearance and comfort stuff, I will not be buying a MZ6..
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    What is this talk about no manual tranny with the 4-cyl. wagon? Is this true or just conjecture? That is the wagon that I have been waiting for. No 5-speed means no wagon, and if I have to get a sedan it is is going to be an Accord. More room, better gas mileage, better acceleration, handling that is just about as good, probably more reliable, no silver plastic. The 6 looks better (in non sport form anyway), but that is down the list on why I buy a car as I can't see the vehicle while I drive it.

I really like the 6 wagon though, and will be sorry not to have one.
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    This SAB/SAC thing is hilarious. You're demanding safety features but at a price you want. If safety is a priority and this is the car you want, then logically, you'd do whatever it takes to get the car with your demanded safety features.

For an extra few grand you can drive a car you like, with the safety features you want. But you're unwilling to pay for some luxury features to get your desired luxury (yes SAB/SAC are a luxury item...just like every option on a car).

Obviously, you don't want a 6 that much then.
    They way SAB/SAC are packaged make it impossible for ppl to buy the car the way they want it.

"For an extra few grand you can drive a car you like, with the safety features you want. But you're unwilling to pay for some luxury features to get your desired luxury (yes SAB/SAC are a luxury item...just like every option on a car)."

Maybe a few grand are nothing to you but to most ppl a few grand have some value. If you take a car and bump its price up a few grand (even as little as $2000 when discussing a $20K car) you'll lose too many buyers.

Dinu
    You're missing the point, it's a luxury item and therefore people must pay for the item. Mazda sees that the numbers of buyers demanding such an item are few, so you should extract as much profit as possible from those buyers.

At least Mazda lets you outfit a car. Honda gives you 3 options for the 4 cylinder, 2 for the 6 cylinder.
  • kent68kent68 Member Posts: 6
    I emailed Mazda in early August about a MT in the wagon, and here is their reply:

"In regard to your inquiry, the all-new MAZDA6 wagon will be available at the end of spring 2004. Also, the MAZDA6 wagon will be offered in manual transmission or automatic transmission. I hope this information proves helpful for you."

Notice she didn't specify whether the MT will be available with the 4 or 6 cylinder and, when I asked further, she wouldn't/couldn't provide more details. However, she did give more details about dates:

"In regard to your inquiry, the 2004 MAZDA6 will available in April-May. Unfortunately, we don't have any specific information on this vehicle at this time. I'd recommend checking back at in January of 2004."

Hope this info is helpful to all who are waiting for the wagon (just as I am, but I am getting impatient. Plus the new option packages on the sedan have me worried about whether I'll be able to get a wagon the way I want it).
  • akumazakumaz Member Posts: 65
    Thanks for the replies mazdamarla and glideslopes. I was especially curious about mileage and the AT because they are both suffering on my Golf right now. Every now and again, I'll have a bad auto shift, which will literally jerk me out of my seat. Also, my mileage seems to be worsening, even though I'm doing the same amount of city/highway driving the past few weeks. Just wondering.

And I'm not sure if this has been asked, but are the rebates still available for applying with Mazda Credit?
  • mazdafunmazdafun Member Posts: 2,329
    They'll offer the same transmissions (5spd MT and 4spd AT for the I4, 5spd MT and 5spd AT for the V6).
  • chikoochikoo Member Posts: 3,008
    if safety is such a priority, buy a Volvo....either way Ford is going to earn your money :)
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    Or get a BMW!
    people will be drive their old car for months, complaining that the new car does not have the "safety features" they want and hence are not buying it.

If safety is so tantamount, why do u keep on driving your old car?
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    ok I know my taste in color is a bit questionable....but we got in a a gold ash MZ6 today and it is now my favorite color on the car!!! Sepang is history for me...
  • ashutoshsmashutoshsm Member Posts: 1,007
    ok I know my taste in color is a bit questionable
    I concur ;)

I've previously thought Sepang was a crappy color.
    However - the gold ash (I'm assuming you're talking about the gorgeous Copper metallic color everyone's been posting pix of on the other discussions) is amazing! I might not buy one, but I love looking at it :)

Given the current choices, however, I'd still buy Lapis Blue Metallic. Any day of the week :)
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    nah, the blazing copper is a different color. very different. This is closer to the pebble ash on the tribute.
  • seafseaf Member Posts: 339
    We all have to deal with certain things in real life, such as driving an older car because it's not as up-to-date as the latest, we drive it because of financial reasons and practical reasons. If money wasn't an object, you'd bet I'll be upgrading to the latest new gadgets and safety options in the newest car...that'll probably happen every 12 months. Most people who buy a new car tend to want to keep it for a while (otherwise they'd lease), if they don't get their safety options in the new car, that means another 5+ years of driving without those options. I understand a majority of people don't put SAB/SAC high on their priorities, but please don't dismiss our requests because your lifestyle choices are different. Personally, I think moonroofs and bose audio is worthless, but I don't go around saying how people really don't need it.

If I didn't buy my 2003 Mazda6 already, I probably wouldn't be buying a 2004 because I don't want the sports package and moonroof and bose audio just to get SAB/SAC.
  • pzevpzev Member Posts: 807
    "But you're unwilling to pay for some luxury features to get your desired luxury (yes SAB/SAC are a luxury item...just like every option on a car)."

You could use that same reasoning on someone who wants a moonroof but doesn't want SAB/SAC. What if Mazda offers SAB/SAC as a stand-alone option and required it to get at a moonroof? Don't you think there's some people out there not willing to pay the money for SAB/SAC which they don't want just so they can get a moonroof? Mazda obviously feels the moonroof is more important to people than SAB/SAC so the moonroof people aren't going to complain. For the people who don't want a moonroof under any circumstance are going to complain. Probably won't do them any good but they have every right to complain. Obviously they want a Mazda6, but do they want it bad enough to fork over extra money to get it? You were ready to criticize someone for, in your words, leaving money on the table because of extra hassle and paperwork dealing with a loan but all of a sudden someone handing over money for an option that they will never use and in fact is a physical problem for some tall people is ok? If someone wants to throw away money over hassle and paperwork let them, it's their money. You somehow act surprised that people don't want to fork over thousands of dollars to get at one option they want. You can get an Infiniti G35 with cloth or leather and both have SAB/SAC standard and both don't have a sunroof standard. I'm sure a lot of people in here would gladly take a G35, but some people don't have the money. So why should these same people that don't have that money have to throw away more money because they want SAB/SAC? I don't want a moonroof and I do want SAB/SAC, but if someone was complaining about having to take SAB/SAC to get at a moonroof I wouldn't find it hilarious or surprising. People have different priorities.
  • fowler3fowler3 Member Posts: 1,919
    Have you ever heard of paragraphs? It makes reading a lot easier and keeps posters from repeating themselves. LOL!

fowler3
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Member Posts: 2,287
    And some people just don't get that I do NOT want a moonroof. It is NOT about money. It's about leakage, headroom, structural integrity of the roof. I would gladly pay extra NOT to get one.

If I can't get SAB/SAC without a moonroof, I may very well buy a Volvo. Or a Mazda3, which I hear will NOT have this silly restriction. Then again, it is built in Japan.

Sigh.
    I understand a majority of people don't put SAB/SAC high on their priorities, but please don't dismiss our requests because your lifestyle choices are different.

One can save for another 3-5-6-12 months to pay for the items you deem necessary. You don't have to buy the car without the safety features you believe are necessary.

Personally, I think moonroofs and bose audio is worthless, but I don't go around saying how people really don't need it.

They don't need it. I'll say it. I'll yell it from the rooftops. I like sunroofs, leather and xenon. All luxury items. People own cars without leather, CD players or even side airbag curtains.

Anyone who tells you they need X in their car (barring someone with a disability that requires some modding) is confusing want with need.

I want power, leather, xenons, RWD, manual, sharp handling and 4 doors. I do not need any of those things. My departed 91 Stanza more than fulfilled my needs and actually moved into luxury. I didn't need 145 HP, AC, a CD player, manual tranny, power steering, power brakes or any other luxury feature. I wanted those things...
    You could use that same reasoning on someone who wants a moonroof but doesn't want SAB/SAC. What if Mazda offers SAB/SAC as a stand-alone option and required it to get at a moonroof?

Mazda obviously through marketing studies has determined SAB/SAC aren't as sexy to buyers as a moonroof.

Don't you think there's some people out there not willing to pay the money for SAB/SAC which they don't want just so they can get a moonroof?

True. But you know, that's part of buying a car. I'm stuck with a cruddy Harmon Kardon stereo (just like all the poor suckers who own Nissans with lousy Bose systems). Such is life. In the end I got what I did want and had to pay extra for it because the model came with useless extras.

For the people who don't want a moonroof under any circumstance are going to complain.

Yep. They'll either suck it up or go without.

I don't want a moonroof and I do want SAB/SAC, but if someone was complaining about having to take SAB/SAC to get at a moonroof I wouldn't find it hilarious or surprising. People have different priorities.

In the end that's true. But still four options exist:

1. Buy a Mazda6 without the SAB/SAC. You've gone this long without these safety items and survived, so you can roll the dice and keep going.

2. Save for a few months and buy a Mazda6 with SAB/SAC and all the trimmings. Now you're unhappy with a car that doesn't fit you (that one inch of headroom makes the vehicle miserable I guess). But you have your beloved SAB/SAC.

3. Not buy anything and thus continued to drive your non-SAB/SAC equipped car. You've survived this long, you're probably make it another 2-3-4-5 years. And actually, you'll save money - assuming you aren't t-boned in some massive accident with a tractor trailer.

4. Buy a different car with SAB/SAC and no moonroof or one where the options won't be an affront to your sensibilities.

Complaining about the option choices will get you what? Oh, nothing. Writing letters to Mazda weekly might get you that option in the 2004.5 or 2005 models. You could always save, drive your current car and hit Mazda with letters until they back down or you decide what is most important: owning a 6 with SAB. owning a 5 without or owning something other than a 6.
  • microrepairmicrorepair Member Posts: 508
    numerous valid reasons why some people are less than thrilled with the option strategy Mazda is using on the MZ6. And some of them apply to many other autos as well. It isn't always about money. I *do* want some of the "luxury" options, like Bose, auto temp control, possibly leather seats, etc..

In my case, I am well over 6 foot tall so when I can sit comfortably in a car that I think has the looks and performance I want, I'm not going to quibble over a thousand or two if I'm serious about the car. Unless you're over 6 foot tall you have no idea of how resticted the choices of cars is. And it has nothing to do with the cost of the car; there are large luxury cars I cannot fit into and there are "mini" cars in which I fit fine. My current 1996 car has a moonroof and I fit fine because the roof is higher than in many other cars.

However, the MZ6 roofline is acceptable to me only without a moonroof. And since I had owned an MX-6 some years ago that was the best car I've ever owned, I really hoped to be able to own an MZ6. But now that SAB/SAC and ABS are pretty much standard offerings on most cars, I definitely want them on my next new car. (SAB/SAC wasn't available on any car in 1996 as far as I know.) I and many other folks can't afford to be trading cars every two years just because there is a new option that we *should* have. But when we do buy that new one every 5-8 years, we will pay for the features and "luxury" items we want.
  • headwindheadwind Member Posts: 3
    Somebody asked about the cost of the hatchback. I went to the Mazda Internet site and looked at the price of the Hatchback in Australia. Doing some simple math I came up with an MSRP of a little over $27,000 dollars. Mazda takes a Honda like marketing approach in Australia. Rather than offer a bunch of options like they do in this country Mazda has two or three different levels that come with prepackaged options. Why the Hatchback costs so much in Australia is not clear. They don't offer a 6 cylinder in Australia so a little extrapolation suggests that a 6-cylinder hatchback in this country will come in over $28,000 dollars.
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Member Posts: 2,287
    But you can't just extrapolate from country to country. Automakers price to the market and the competition. The situation in Australia has little to do with the situation in the USA.

Heck, there are major differences in pricing strategy between just the USA and Canada. Or the USA and Mexico.

Finally, taxation also is a major factor from country to country.
    Sorry, but you can't compare prices b/w countries.

The 6 is considred a luxury sedan/HB in Australia.

Dinu
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,149
    Market forces in each country dictate the price at which the vehicle is sold. In order to do an accurate comparison, you'd have to check out average income, popularity vs availability of the product, etc. It's more work than it's worth.

I used to own a Mazda Protege, and my relatives in England thought I had a big car!

kirstie_h
    Roving Host & Future Vehicles Host

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    My aunt and cousin from Brazil saw my Accord and quietly remarked to my Dad about how I must be doing very well!! He told me and I chuckled. The current Accord EX in Brazil has a list price of 116,531 reals - that's just over $40K!!
  • rkf1976rkf1976 Member Posts: 15
    Just curious if any of you complaining about not wanting the Bose stereo have actually listened to it in the 6??? It was included in the 6 I purchased, and let me tell you that I would have happily paid a couple $100 more than I did just to get it. The sound quality is outstanding no matter what type of music you like to listen to, and the sound is crisp and clear even at loud volumes.
    After listening to so many people complain about the quality of the stock audio system I just can't figure out why anyone wouldn't want the Bose?
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    I also do not want a moonroof and would pay extra not to have it.

Car manufacturers need to keep in mind that there are some options that really do not offend many people that are OK to make standard, but also some that do offend people.

I would say sunroof and leather and tranny are the three biggies that will actually keep people from buying the car (for me just the roof and automatic tranny). I do know of others who won't take leather, and many won't switch trannies (auto or manual).

Things like a Bose stereo may be a worthless upgrade (may not also) to some, but that generally just makes it a waste of money, not a deal breaker.
  • mazdamarlamazdamarla Member Posts: 350
    In reponse to my question to Mazda (via email) regarding total production numbers for the '03 MY Mazda6, and specifically how many yellow ones were made:

in regards to your inquiry, Mazda does not release any production
    figures for the MAZDA6. The 2004 model information should be updated on
    our website in near future. As more 2004 model vehicles are released,
    our website should be updated accordingly.

I apologize I was not able to provide the production number you were
    looking for. If you have any other questions, please let me know.
    Just curious if any of you complaining about not wanting the Bose stereo have actually listened to it in the 6??? It was included in the 6 I purchased, and let me tell you that I would have happily paid a couple $100 more than I did just to get it. The sound quality is outstanding no matter what type of music you like to listen to, and the sound is crisp and clear even at loud volumes.
    After listening to so many people complain about the quality of the stock audio system I just can't figure out why anyone wouldn't want the Bose?

"No highs, no lows, must be a Bose." - oft heard among audiophiles.
    "'No highs, no lows, must be a Bose.' - oft heard among audiophiles."

Must be confused with an Alpine or Kenwood. Take a look at what brand of "factory installed" stereos are notoriously #1 in car audio reviews. I'll give you a hint, starts w/ "Bo", ends w/ "se".
    Yeah, if you want a quality sound system, definitely stick with the factory one. Sorry, but by saying the Bose outscores (according to whom...the reviewers at MT? RT? CR?) other factory models we're to be impressed? That's like being the star pupil in a remedial class.

No highs, no lows, must be a Bose. ;)

It could be worse, they could have the useless factory Harmon Kardon system I've got in my car. Want your CDs cutting out for no reason? Speaker buzz?
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    You forgot to mention lousy AM radio reception.
  • mjvchicagomjvchicago Member Posts: 149
    Seems like there's a ton of bashing going on against the Bose system. I've had my MZ6 for 5 months and have liked the Bose system a lot. Especially once I discovered what the ALC feature does for the sound. I do know that my ears are more sensitive to the higher frequencies so I need a bit more bass to balance the sound out. Oh well, I must be the only one that likes the Bose.
  • flypaperflypaper Member Posts: 11
    On my 6s with no problems to date. This car is more fun to drive every day. Everybody seems to give me that "what kind of car is that?" look whenever I pull up to a light. I still hardly ever see one here in the Seattle area, although two of my friends had 6i rentals from Hertz when they came to visit. The only (very minor) annoyances I have are:

- Long clutch throw (tough in traffic)
    - Ridiculously bad turning radius (why aren't people talking about this more?)
    - Hard-to-find trunk release button
    - Inefficient moonroof controls (would like to see Audi-style dial). BTW, I'm 6'3" and have no headroom problems.
    - Low volume from rear speakers & sub from Bose system (even with adjusted fader). Anybody else experiencing this?

With that said, I'd still buy this car again in a heartbeat -- it's the best kept secret on the road.
  • ian2ian2 Member Posts: 168
    I have Bose in my car and I'm glad that I got it. My friend has a 6 with the base stereo and there is simply no comparison. Everything sound hollow with the base system. You can probably do better with an aftermarket system, but I prefer my car in stock form.
    >>> Low volume from rear speakers & sub from Bose system (even with adjusted fader). Anybody else experiencing this? <<<

That experience is called "Live" experience.
    When you go to a theatre or a orchestra, the sound emanates from the front, not the back.
    Hence the new audio system is designed to give you that "live" feel.
  • r2s2r2s2 Member Posts: 93
    I like the Bose in my MZ6s. In my home I also have a Bose Lifestyle system (living room), and a Bose Acoustic Wave music system (bedroom). I like those a lot, too.

And there are plenty of highs and lows in each, thankyouverymuch. In fact, in the Mazda I often have to turn down the base.
  • ian2ian2 Member Posts: 168
    I have mine turned up to +4 most of the time, but I like a deep base response.
  • thegreatvudinithegreatvudini Member Posts: 103
    I agree with you on two points:

* The turning radius is a laugh on the 6. I have better luck with my '92 MPV! For crying out loud.

* The sound in the rear is definitely softer that up front, as I have noticed independently from a backseat passenger.

Whenever playing some godd driving tunes, I often turn the volume up to 20. Is that too loud? I have not tried any louder; how high does it go?

Also, I just love the sound of the engine when revving hard (merging in traffic).
    I've had my stereo turned up to 26 w/ the bass at +6. Stereo still sounds great! (although I'm not sure how much higher you would want to go). Depending on what you are playing, especially w/ newer CDs, that is about as loud as I am willing to push it.