Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda6 Sedan

Comments

• mpiatekmpiatek Member Posts: 68
    When I bought my 6s, the Jetta GLI was my #2 choice. In case you aren't familiar with the GLI, it's basically the Jetta with sport 17" wheels and suspension and the engine is their VR6. Both cars had manual transmissions. The Jetta was definitely fun to drive. It was quick off the line, had a nice turning radius, and overall handled pretty well.

What swayed me toward the Mazda was the cars size, and a general safer feel to the 6. The Mazda 6 is a bigger car in general, but it's acceleration and handling were about the same as the Jetta GLI. The Mazda has much more interior room, so driving is more comfortable while having the same performance, which is nice on road trips. The safer feel is a little harder to explain. Basically, I took my wife on both test drives, pushed both cars pretty hard, and she simply said that in the Mazda 6, she never felt like the car was being pushed hard. The Mazda 6 gives you more confidence while driving.

In the end, obviously, I ended up with a MT Mazda 6s with sport package. I've never regretted that decision a single minute. One thing the Mazda 6 has that a Jetta doesn't even come close to is looks. A Jetta will never make anyone do a double-take, and my Mazda 6 turns heads all the time.

Mike
  • mpiatekmpiatek Member Posts: 68
    I forgot to mention. Motor Trend did a road test between the Mazda 6s, Jetta GLI, and Altima 3.5SE. All of them have manual transmissions and I found the review very helpful.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedan/112_0302_clutch/

Mike
  • kaiserheadkaiserhead Member Posts: 166
    On the Mazda Canada website (www.mazda.ca) they have old commercials from the 70s. 80s and 90s, really cool stuff. Look under "fun stuff" and then "multimedia"

There's a 1990 commercial for the 626 where they try to explain "Kansai Engineering." its a very interesting concept.
  • thegreatvudinithegreatvudini Member Posts: 103
    I got the honors!! Not to just BS, but...

My car now just turned over 7,000 glorious miles. My last tank is the best: 330 miles before the light turns on. I hope I keep getting better mileage. Has an oil change the other day. The dealer tried to have me approve a tire rotation, but charged me $35! I said no thanks, can do that for almost free at my local mechanic. Absolutely no problem so far. Knock on wood!
  • tomcat630tomcat630 Member Posts: 854
    One reason why the Jetta is smaller, it's a compact size car! Classified so by the EPA, it is not a mid sized car. Just a compact at a mid sized price.
  • dayokayodedayokayode Member Posts: 31
    Thanks for your input. The Jettas sold here, like those in the States, are made in Mexico. Whereas the 6i that we get are imported from Japan. Since I just arrived here a few months ago (and importing a car from the States is out of the question), I'll give myself some time to consider all available options, including other models. I'm just afraid that the Jetta will not be as reliable, although it has more standard features. On the other hand, I don't feel comfortable 'giving my business' to the only Mazda dealership in town or even dealing with them afterwards. Maybe a good compromise is the new Volvo S40.
  • glideslopesglideslopes Member Posts: 431
    12,000 wonderful miles on my 03 Steel Grey 6s AT. It is quite a bit better in the snow than I was anticipating. Even with the stock tires. Still no evidence of the Stain/Rust? returning from the repair.

The DW may be interested in selling the MPV in 05 for a 6 Wagon. I'll keep the pressure on.

Mark.
  • rodlcwrodlcw Member Posts: 45
    You have all seen my posts of the problems this past year. Supposed Brake fix. NO go. Still squeal. So, I have had about all ths problems I have seen posted, except NO Rust. Windows, Transmission leaks, brake noise, turn signals noise, manumatic sticking, shifter lever squeak noise, etc. Have owned many Mazda's since 1980 and have gone thru the "first" year blues before, but this FORD, ooops I mean Mazda, may be the worse one yet.
  • jgagnejgagne Member Posts: 5
    Is the Bose stereo worth the price? Is the base stereo in the 6 any good? I test drove a 6 with the Bose system and it sounded great, I havent heard the stock stereo yet though.
  • mjvchicagomjvchicago Member Posts: 149
    So I'm at 15,500 miles or so and my 6s rocks! None of the problems people have been explaning here except extremley minor staining... no big deal. Lots of grins still today when I drive. I love it when I floor it to pass on the highway and do the "holy s..." when I hit 90! So awesome...
  • portknoxxaportknoxxa Member Posts: 69
    I just got the '04 Galant GTS. The 6 never really appealed to me when it came out. It is a wonderful looking car, but like the Altima and Accord, they did nothing for me. I saw a GTS on 12/13/03 and I just fell in love with it, I ordered a sterling silver one w/black leather on New Years Eve and picked it up on 1/20/04. I cannot really comment on the 6 faithfully, because I never test drove it, bit it cannot possibly match the handling and performance of the GTS, the incredible infinity sound system, and of course that 250lb.ft. of tourque But like I said I've never driven a 6, maybe I will test drive one just for the hell of it. But also, I traded in a 2002 Sonata GLS so any car would feel different to me.
  • mazda6smazda6s Member Posts: 1,901
    The 2004 Galant is a new design, much improved over the last model (1999-2003), but you knew that, right? Mitsubishi is just playing the super-sizing game (like Nissan did with the Altima), and it might just work.
    Of course, it won't compare to the Mazda6, but that would be another discussion anyway.
  • jstandeferjstandefer Member Posts: 805
    You can see how the 6 and Galant stack up against each other here:

Edmunds.com's 2003-2004 Family Sedan Comparison Test

I have never driven one of the new Galants, but it sounds like it has great performance. In a straight line, the 6 can't match the Galant. But, when the road gets twisty, the 6 races ahead of the pack. It seems the Galant's biggest problem is its weight... it was the heaviest car in the test. In this test, Edmunds rated the Galant in 6th place overall, and the Mazda6 in 2nd.
  • carguy58carguy58 Member Posts: 2,303
    I prefer the cleaner look of the 99-01 models better than the 02+ ones.

As far as Mitsu playing the supersize game The Altima is good looking but the 04 Galant just doesn't do it for me. Styling is subective who am I to judge? Cars I don't like have sold very well. Cars I liked haven't so sold well.
  • livaudaislivaudais Member Posts: 55
    have little to do with how well a car sells. One need only look at the 2 best selling sedans for proof of this.

CL
    I do like prevous Accord's but the new one I'm not feeling it all(the coupe is ok though.) Thats not to knock Honda though. After all they did style a good TSX and TL.

As far as the Camry is concerned previous Camry's were decent looking. I'm not feeling the 02+ models at all. Toyota has syled good looking cars like the 99-99 Avalon, and the 00-02 Celica that I did happen to like.

Looks do sell cars at times though. The last generation Altima didn't sell well because its just blended in with everything else. I already said that 5 posts ago. The first generation Altima did sell well.
  • ramped1ramped1 Member Posts: 159
    Why would you waste some salesman's time testing a 6s now when you couldn't bother before you bought your Galant last month?

And, by the way, how do you make statements like "(the 6) cannot possibly match the handling and performance of the GTS, the incredible infinity sound system, and of course that 250lb.ft. of torque" if you never drove the Mazda?

Enjoy your new Galant, but lay off the comparos until you sit in the seats of both cars. Between the two, the 6 is much closer to a class leader than the Galant. The Edmunds family sedan comparo here points that out, as do the dozens of awards the 6 has collected from automotive publications around the globe. Based on what I saw of the Galant at a recent auto show, it looks like a job about 3/4 of the way done. Cheap inside, and a little overdone outside. But, to each his own. Much luck with yours.
  • vkarvkar Member Posts: 28
    Has anyone had problems with closing doors on their 6? I've noticed that I have to pull/push it hard enough to close it shut properly. Also, I find that if I open it far enough and then shut it, I can do it properly...otherwise, it does not not shut tight.
    There is a problem with the doors closing in cold weather. There is a Mazda solution (owners have reported problems in temperatures warmer than given here):

MAZDA6 - DOORS HARD TO CLOSE IN EXTREMELY COLD WEATHER

APPLICABLE MODEL(S)/VINS
    All 2003 Mazda6 vehicles built prior to March 7, 2003 with VINs of 1YV*P80**35M23165 or lower.

DESCRIPTION
    In extremely cold weather conditions of approximately 14 degrees F or lower, the vehicle may experience door(s) that are hard to close or will not lock.

The grease used for the door latch assemblies, and the rubber stopper material has been changed during mass-production to eliminate this concern.

Customers having this concern should have their vehicle repaired using the following procedure.

REPAIR PROCEDURE
    Verify concern.
    Replace the affected door latch:

Front Door refer to Workshop Manual (Section 09-14)
    FRONT DOOR LATCH AND LOCK ACTUATOR REMOVAL/INSTALLATION Page 09-14-5.

Rear Door refer to Workshop Manual (Section 09-14) REAR DOOR LATCH AND LOCK ACTUATOR REMOVAL/INSTALLATION Page 09-14-6.

Verify repair.

PART(S) INFORMATION
    Part Number
    Description
    Qty.
    Notes

GK2A-58-310D
    Door Latch, Front Right
    W/O Alarm System

GK2C-58-310E
    Door Latch, Front Right
    W/ Alarm System

GK2C-59-310E
    Door Latch, Front Left
    W/ or W/O Alarm System

GJ6G-72-310J
    Door Latch, Rear Right
    W/O Alarm System

GJ6F-72-310J
    Door Latch, Rear Right
    W/ Alarm System

GJ6G-73-310H
    Door Latch, Rear Left
    W/O Alarm System

GJ6F-73-310J
    Door Latch, Rear Left
    W/ Alarm System

WARRANTY INFORMATION
    NOTE: This information applies to verified customer complaints on vehicles covered under normal warranty. Refer to the SRT microfiche for warranty term information.
    Automotive News:
    http://www.autonews.com

quote:
    "Mazda North American Operations is facing challenges from owners of 2003 Mazda6 sedans that have developed rustlike stains in the door sashes and trunk lids."

Unfortunately you have to subscribe to get the complete text of the story.
  • newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
    "Unfortunately you have to subscribe to get the complete text of the story."

I'm waiting for a copy of that article in the mail. If you are an owner of a Mazda6 and if you answered any of automotive news's questions from the other Mazda6 website, they will send you a copy of the article.
  • mazdafunmazdafun Member Posts: 2,329
    We'll see how they handle it.

Sure look like rust spots in that picture they posted.
    "We put the caulk on the seam because you need moisture and oxygen to have rust," Barnes says. "If you remove the oxygen source, the lack of additional oxygen will stem any further rust or staining."

Barnes is a Mazda spokesperson. Looks like the problem IS DEFINATELY rust. No more debating that issue.
    Sorry for those that bought a 03 and have the problem, but it surely has been fixed in production by now and it may mean better rebates for us 04 buyers. And, I'm not worried about this impacting resale value, as resale value on Mazdas generally sucks anyway. Anyway, if I was worried about depreciation I would buy used instead of new.
  • buggywhipbuggywhip Member Posts: 188
    Geez, the stuff is really hitting the fan now!! I knew the story would eventually surface, but not like this. Autonews isn't widely read, but it IS read by big institutional investors. And Autoweek's circulation isn't that great but its readers are quite vocal. This is NOT good for Mazda at all. That AW story is esp. damaging. Rust is a bad word among car manufacturers. Perhaps the worst of all.
  • mazdafunmazdafun Member Posts: 2,329
    I wonder what THEIR opinion is on the root cause, and if the root cause has been fixed?

I notice the only remark made about the samples sent from Flat Rock to Japan are that the fix seems to work.
    Rebates, rebates, rebates!
  • sepangm6ssepangm6s Member Posts: 6
    Why is it that the 'rust' seems to be such a random thing? You would think that all cars that came through the same assembly process would have been treated with the same solution. My M6s falls within the build dates in question, yet has no signs of it. I keep checking just to make sure.
    Even with robotic application there would be some variation in the amount of undercoating and paint that was able to get into that tight area where the channel is welded to the door. There could also be some variation in the welding process. Put all that together with some variation in the amount of the lubricant that is claimed to be the accelerant, and I can see why there could be different results. Plus, you need moisture of some sort, either in the air or via rain/condensation. So, there are some independent variables here that will affect the final outcome.
  • dinu01dinu01 Member Posts: 2,586
    Would love to pick up a 6 (rusted or not) for less than a 3 :)

Not going to happen, but I still wish...

Dinu
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    I have the issue right here in front of me... Basically it says everything we already know and have discussed at length...some say rust, mazda says it isnt...nobody has produced anything to prove mazda wrong. Mazda says that a lubricant used during the installation of the weather stripping contained a corrosive that seeped from the door seams onto the paintwork on door sashes....
    Also, according to the article the fix is working and it was only a problem on 2003 model cars. Some 2003 units were shipped to Japan for accelerated weather testing at their R&D center. They also noted that out of 60,000+ units sold only 109 have registered complaints.

The article said that 2004 cars are not involved, only 2003 models. people are getting their cars fixed, the problem was halted at the factory.

Sounds like the story is over to me. This is no GM diesel, firestone tire/explorer, ford head gasket problem...this is the minor leagues compared to those problems. IF the story said there is no fix or if the problem continued endlessly then it would be a big deal.
    I have seen ads in the paper for 2003 6i's for right around $15k. Dealers here are having a hard time moving the remaining 03s (some still have 20+) and they are overloaded on 04s.
    "They also noted that out of 60,000+ units sold only 109 have registered complaints.

They said 109 have registered complaints on a Mazda6-specific site. I know that site quite personally...and I can guarantee it is a very small site with no advertising that someone I am very close to is building in his spare time at home. The percentage of the Mazda6 community that knows about the problem is probably less than 5%, and even many of those that do know have not checked their cars.

Also in the article is a Mazda spokesman say thie following: "We put the caulk on the seam because you need moisture and oxygen to have rust," Barnes says. "If you remove the oxygen source, the lack of additional oxygen will stem any further rust or staining."

I don't think this is over... maybe for now. But let's see what the doors look like in four years, especially after the warranties have expired.
    I'm ready to buy an 04 5-door as soon as they hit the streets. If the incentives get high enough on the left-over 03 sedans I might even buy one of those.
    IMO, Mazda did what I would expect from any auto manufacturer - no better and no worse. Then again, I don't trust any of them either. ;)
    "nobody has produced anything to prove mazda wrong."

See post #16024.

A Mazda USA rep called it rust in the article. It looks like rust. It IS rust. Deal with it. I am.
  • tnisace86tnisace86 Member Posts: 25
    Is the 6 fun to drive? More so than the 3?
    "Is the 6 fun to drive? More so than the 3?"

They're both fun, but in different ways. Personally I think I'd be happy with either one. For zipping around town, I think the Mazda3 could actually be more fun. For a lot of freeway driving or a highway cruise, the extra weight and more quiet ride makes the Mazda6 the better choice.

Find yourself a friendly salesperson that will let you drive them back-to-back. Make sure you get on a highway though, as that's where you'll really notice the difference in road noise.
  • dinu01dinu01 Member Posts: 2,586
    I don't know - I need a head-to-head test drive to comment on that. Unless I see a 6 (i/gs trim + 16/17" alloys for the same price as a 3i/gs+sport+pwr, the 3 has more features. I doubt 6s will be found at $21000 CAD anytime soon when they sticker at $24xxx.

Dinu
  • likaglovlikaglov Member Posts: 82
    ...is in the 6s? Is it a Ford or a Mazda. I've read the V6 is a Ford engine, but I'm more concerned about the transmission (after the trouble some friends had with their windstars).

Maybe the rust will improve the rebate before I go purchase a 6s-AT?
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,435
    the 6s tranny is made by JATCO, a Japanese outfit. Not a Ford unit, and nothing to do with the tranny put in the Taurus or Windstall.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• gee35coupegee35coupe Member Posts: 3,387
    But why did Mazda use a diferent "solution" than the one they use in the Japan assembly line? I know we don't have a direct forum to track the integrity of the Japanese built 6's but it seems they are motre sound.

Wouldn't the only "change" they would need to make involve using the "solution" they use on the other assembly line?
    No posts in 12 hours!
    It looks like Mazda knew about it but just had to come up with a solution to solve the whole rust problem.

Anyways, yeah there are some 03 leftovers but in NJ most of the car ads have 04 6's advertised in the paper.
  • mccullochbmccullochb Member Posts: 12
    Anyone else experiencing alot of these? I'm up to 5 months in a row....being without my car for a week due to this same recurring issue. I've already had the recall and reflashing done...still not fixed...this time I'm without my car 8 days and counting....
  • tomcat630tomcat630 Member Posts: 854
    Some are saying "this is the end of Mazda" because of the rust. Well, for one thing, it not the entire car crumbling like some amke it out to be.

Also, it's been corrected with 2004 models, so no more smug comments like "all 6's are rust buckets". Mazda is solving the problem and nobody is DYING because of it, so no need for the "mob mentality" like with Explorer tires and Pinto tanks.

Sales have not been affected either. January results are "Mazda also reported sales of 4,121 units for its MAZDA6 flagship sedan-nearly double last year's January total."
    I'm sure sales have been affected, but maybe not that much. We know from reading these boards that some who were "on the fence" decided to pass on the Mazda6 because of the rust problem. The numbers of these people are not great, but they are there.
    Most of Mazda's profits in made in Europe and Japan where there is no rusting 6's.

Mazda posted their best January saleswise since 1985. Mazda sales were up 24.6% from last years January. The 3 sold 4,426 units while the 6 as previously mentioned sold 4,121 units. These numbers should have been better if not for bad weather in the Northeast.

When a car brand loses a car sale it hurts because each sale is money in the car manufacturer's pocket.
    note I haven't seen too many cars with new dealer tags on them. The weather was that bad. Though I did see a G35 Coupe and an Acura TL with new dealer tags coming grom work and going to work.
  • hen263hen263 Member Posts: 6
    longish story short, i had a 99 Mazda B-3000 that was an absolute piece of garbage. won't go into details, but i had planned on trading it in for a 6, but prior to doing so i came to this site and (sorry) but with all the problems that i've read here (despite the pro's) i decided it wasnt' worth it to get this car.

i ended up getting an Acura RSX (which while i different class of car, has the same sporty appeal of the 6) and haven't looked back.

without this site i probably wd have bought the 6 and killed myself by now (considering the problems i had with the B-3000), but instead, thanks to you guys, i'm alive and well and happy with my car purchase.

cheers. -- this message was not meant to be a slam on the 6, FYI.