Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda6 Sedan

Comments

• cheesehead6cheesehead6 Member Posts: 68
    "You'll be surprised"

A somewhat ambiguous remark, Newcar31 :) May I respond with a short answer quiz?

1-A PLEASANT surprise compared to the 2.5? or,
    2-An UNPLEASANT surprise?

I did drive a 6i manual a few months ago, & it seemed ok. Been in my 626 2.5 Six since, so the "feeling" of the test drive has faded, except for the overall conclusion that I drew, which was that it should be ok.

On the fuel issue raised by Madaxeman, every auto expert I've talked to or heard on the radio has said the same thing: use only the octane called for in the owner's manual. Anything more and you're throwing money away. I suspect a lot of people are throwing lots of money away on the erroneous theory that more octane has to be better for their cars. This is the line taken by the Magliazzi Bros. among others.
  • madaxemanmadaxeman Member Posts: 8
    The '04 6s requires regular gasoline. The comparable models from other makes require premium. Is it a waste to use premium in the new 6s?
  • newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
    I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. I've driven an MX6 with the 164-something hp 2.5L and manual and it doesn't feel that much quicker than my 6i manual, probably because it isn't. The manual/2.5L V6 combo is good for mid 7s 0-60. Car and Driver did 7.9 0-60 in a 6i manual. Notice that the torque peaks at a lower RPM on the 2.3L I4 vs. the 2.5L V6. That probably has a lot to do with the variable valve timing on the 2.3L. Also, the 2.3L has a really nice sound and is incredibly smooth as far as 4 cyl engines go.
  • jstandeferjstandefer Member Posts: 805
    The engines in the Mazda6 are not tuned to run on premium fuel; they are tuned for regular. Running premium fuel won't make any difference at all. Other competing models have engines designed for premium fuel and running regular fuel won't hurt the engine, but it will result in the knock sensor retarding ignition timing and the engine will produce less power and lower fuel economy. If Mazda tuned the V6 for premium, it will probably boost power output up to 230-240 hp. The question to ask is: Is that extra horsepower that you probably won't even notice worth the extra cost? Filling up the loaner last night, I noticed premium was at $2.07 (regular was $1.86).
  • buggywhipbuggywhip Member Posts: 188
    I don't know if any of you have been on the Nissan boards, but the new interior for the 2005 Altima is outstanding, really really upscale. My point is, it frames another 6 deficiency--interior quality. The 6 has a decent interior but it's a Playschool busy-toy compared to the 2005 Alty. (I'm sad to say.) The Mazda3 has the finest interior in compact cars; why can't the 6 follow suit?? Heck, even the upcoming GrandAm has a better interior. Mazda had better wake up. Mazda should have cloned the Millenia interior for the 6; instead, it added a few Protege parts to an all-new (but uninspired) design. It won't cut it anymore. Check out that new Nissan interior--your heart will sink for Mazda.
    Well, I'll reserve judgement on the '05 Altima until I can actually touch and feel. The current Altima's interior doesn't look bad at all in pictures, but it only takes a couple of minutes once you're in to realize what a low-quality interior it is. The 6's interior isn't bad and it does have some nice, subtle features that I didn't find when looking at the competition.

I think Mazda needs to seriously fix one thing: road noise. This has always been a Mazda shortfall. What really drove this home is that I picked up my car today after 15 days at the dealership. I couldn't believe how much louder it is compared to the loaner I've had. I can't believe I'm saying this, but... after a few blocks in the 6, I already miss the Elantra they gave me. That said, I do have to say that I'm glad to have back a car that can handle.

Later, I'll post my comparison of the 6 to the Elantra while it's still fresh in my head. Let's just say this little Hyundai was an eye-opener.
    "My point is, it frames another 6 deficiency--interior quality."

Another 6 deficiency? You make it sound like it's full of "deficiencies". The only real deficiencies IMO is the silver colored center stack and the rust. Besides the silver center stack, what is so cheap looking about the interior? Many auto publications think it's pretty nice. I'm not going to go dig up quotes, but I know the dash has been compared to BMW and German cars in general. I had a 2001 Protege and there are no visible Protege parts in the 6's interior, so I don't know where you got that from. I've heard other people (maybe it was you) say this before. Really, if there are Protege parts in the interior, what are they, specifically?

The smaller size is not a deficiency. It's about the same size as my parent's old 92 Camry and about as big of a car that I'd ever want.

Neither of the engines qualify as "deficiencies" either, unless you get an automatic, but then that's your fault...lol. They may not have the absolute power of the Hondas or Nissans, but they're still pretty darn sweet engines. The V6 sounds excellent, and the 4 cyl sounds pretty good too. They're both super smooth. I know the V6 in the Mazda6 is smoother and sounds better than my parents I35 with the 255hp VQ.

Road noise? ALL of my friends think it's very quiet, and I do too. My parent's I35 isn't noticeably quieter.

As far as the Altima's interior being improved, it should've been done a lot sooner. It really looked unbelievably, inexcusably, cheap. On a par with with an 87' Chevy Celebrity IMO. The interior was pretty much trashed in every automotive review, so it doesn't surprise me that Nissan would want to improve.
  • vadpvadp Member Posts: 1,025
    SIRIUS is expected to be available as a dealer-installed option in the following schedule of Mazda vehicles:

* Mazda Tribute - spring 2004
    * Mazda MPV - spring 2004
    * Miata - spring 2004
    * RX-8 - summer 2004
    * MAZDA3 - fall 2004
    * MAZDA6 - fall 2004
  • bostongiobostongio Member Posts: 52
    Some magazine reviewers have commented on the high quality of the Mazda6 interior, others haven't been so kind. Interior and exterior styling is always going to an objective thing, and after having sat in a two dozen cars over the the past 6 months, I gotta say the Mazda6 interior styling is very, very good. Sure, it's not as good as a Passat's or Acura in many respects, but it's also not as bad as the current Altima's or Maxima's (yuck!), or any bland Toyota product.

I think most agree that the silver on the center stack is a bit much, but in keeping with the rest of the interior styling, it's not horrible (and some actually like it). The materials used and fit and finish are very good. I never felt like it was a cheap interior (like the new Toyota's Prius feels) with cheap materials. It feels on par with a car that is much more expensive.

I just checked Road and Track's test of 5 sedans in 2003 and it shows that at 70 mph, the Mazda6's (6s) road noise is 69 dBA, exactly the same as the Accord EX and the Altima 3.5, and quieter than a Toyota Camry and VW Passat. So I'm not sure about the road noise complaint....
    "The 6 has a decent interior but it's a Playschool busy-toy compared to the 2005 Alty. (I'm sad to say.)"

I just checked out the new Altima interior and I don't see what the big deal is. It appears that they changed the dash to a softer material (the way it should've been in the first place). Whoopde do! It still has the goofy recessed guages, and the nasty orange illumination that should be left back in 1986. The 6's interior is still better IMO.
  • cheesehead6cheesehead6 Member Posts: 68
    My previous question piqued my curiosity about the evolution of the Mazda 4 over the last 10 years. This is what I came up with thanks to Edmunds.

YEAR HP TORQUE WT.

94(626) 118@5500 127 @4500 2626
    98( " ) 125@5000 127 @3000 2800
    03(MZ6) 160@6000 155 @4000 3042

They must have tweaked something at the styling change in '98; it appears to be the same 2.0 L engine. The new 2.3L seems to have much more punch, although the MZ6i does weigh 242 lbs more than the 626 Fours of '98-'02, so there's more metal to push around.

Someone pointed to the benefits of variable valve timing in a previous post. Can someone explain VVT to this ignoramus, & why it's a good thing?

BTW, I had a look at the new Altima interior, and it is indeed much better. But did I notice in one of the photos FAKE WOOD trim around the shift boot? Say it isn't so Monsieur Renault...
  • froomgfroomg Member Posts: 5
    Soon after I bought my '03 6i, I noticed a significant design flaw with the interior: there's no "shelf" at the base of the window sill to rest your elbow on! I discovered this shortfall on my first Interstate trip, and it really drove me nuts. Also, the center arm rest is located WAY too low to be usable while keeping your right hand on the wheel. The '99 VW Jetta that I owned before this car didn't this problem. I'm 6'3" tall, and I really wish the seat went back farther -- I feel like my nose is in the sun visor! My other complaint is that the cloth upholstery is sorta rough, like a burlap sack. The stitching also seems a little slipshod in places. Other than that, the inside is decent, but not up to VW standards.
  • carguy58carguy58 Member Posts: 2,303
    If the competition in terms of interior quality is better than Mazda will refresh the interior. The Millenia was an upscale car and the 6 is not an upscale car. I have seen the new Pontiac G6 interior in pictures and I like it but I don't like back end of the car in terms of exterior design. On the subject of the Altima the interior maybe better but hearing about torque steer scares me.

Mazda did refresh the 2000 626's interior from the 99 model. Maybe Mazda will do the same thing with the 6 when its up for a mid-cycle refresh.

On a sour note I was looking at a local dealers inventory and they have 21 03 leftover 6's left. Maybe the weak intro for the 6 caused 6's to pile up on lots a little bit. Mazda did sell 4,121 6's last month and that was and 83% increase over the same time last year. Mazda seems happy with their sales numbers the last 4 months so I guess Mazda is on the right track. The 6 is still not enough to scare Nissan or Honda in the mid-size segment. However the 3 is enough do get Honda and Nissan back on their heels for a new Civic and Sentra I bet. Mazda seems good at selling small cars not really bigger ones.
    I remember my 6 being much quieter than it is now. 12,000 miles later, I find it rather annoying. I think it may have to do with tire wear (16"), because I thought the car was very quiet when I bought it, certainly quieter than the '99 Protege I traded and the other half's '03 Protege5 (which was much quieter than the '99). Now, the Protege5 has become the quieter car. Another problem for anyone that lives in southern California is that our freeways are all grooved concrete, which is noisy (compared to asphalt) no matter what car you are in. To drown out the road noise, I have to turn up the radio to 12 or higher!

The numerous rattles are also driving me crazy, especially how the front door panels rattle when the bass (non-Bose) is set any higher than 2 and the volume is any higher than 6. However, my door panels and dashboard have been removed and installed so many times that they just are not tight any more.
    "Mazda did sell 4,121 6's last month and that was and 83% increase over the same time last year."

True. However, it is a big decrease compared to the previous months:

Dec '03 - 8,778
    Nov '03 - 6,180
    Oct '03 - 6,194
    Sep '03 - 5,341
    Aug '03 - 7,328

We'll see what trend happens in the upcoming months. Perhaps the Mazda3 is stealing sales... it outsold the 6 for January despite a relative lack of incentives.
    I don't know maybe the 3 is in fact stealing sales away from the 6. Though like I said before it could be the bad weather in the Northeast that contributed to weak Mazda 6 sales from previous months and the 3 could have possibly even sold more if not for the bad weather. However I guess we will have to see Feburary Mazda 6 sales to see what the deal is.
    If it's the tires wearing out that's causing the car to be noisier, then you can't really fault the car for that. IIRC, the Accord comes with the same Michelins that are on the 16's.

People are always going to find some "deficiency" with ANY car and I mean ANY car. You just have to be realistic about things. The Mazda6 CANNOT have a VW interior, Lexus quietness, Buick ride quality, BMW handling, Altima 3.5L speed without the torque steer, Honda resale value, Mazda discounts, all at the same time.

The Mazda6 is quick, it's fairly quiet, it rides nice, it handles well, and it looks good.

Is it the best at everything? No. Is ANY car the best at everything? No.
    I'm just assuming it's the tire wear. In the beginning, it could have just been that the '99 Protege was so much noisier in comparison. I really didn't start noticing the road noise until I started looking at replacements. Some of the other cars, such as the Camry Solara, were vault-like silent. As I said before, the real kicker was how much less road noise the Elantra has (the Hyundai's engine, on the other hand, could awaken the dead).

What I do like is how quiet the 6 is in the rain. Those felt-like wheel-well liners make a huge difference. In previous cars (and the Elantra), the noise from the water splashing up into the wheel-wells was nearly unbearable.
  • the_big_hthe_big_h Member Posts: 1,583
    about the technical specs of the 2 engines for the Mazda6.

http://www.carseverything.com/content/article/1346.3/
  • mazda6smazda6s Member Posts: 1,901
    Apparently the valve lifters on the 2.3L do not require any adjustments or even inspection, but it doesn't say whether this is also true for the 3.0L engine.

Refering to the 4-cylinder engines it states:
    "During scheduled maintenance, the valve lash no longer requires inspection."

No mention of this for the 3.0L engine.
    It is more accurate to compare sales numbers from year to year, not from month to month. Every car manufacturer experiences seasonal trends, so showing that seasonal trend when comparing numbers from month to month really doesn't show anything.

That's why when you see publications looking at sales numbers, they look at what the Mazda6 did in January 2003 versus what it did in January 2004. That is a far more accurate comparison. (Although, in this particular example, the comparison isn't fair given that Mazda was still ramping up full production and marketing of the 6 in January 2003, so most people weren't likely aware of it as a new offering.)
  • buggywhipbuggywhip Member Posts: 188
    It was not my intention to trash the 6's interior. I merely suggested that the 2005 Alty interior raised the bar. Someone told me that an Altima is a "downgraded Maxima" and a 6 is an "upgraded Protege". An absurd statement. But true or not, that perception comes from many factors, especially interior room and quality. That Alty interior is superb and I fear the inevitable 6 comparisons..........but I am not a Mazda detractor. I have said, and still aggressively maintain, that the Mazda3 interior beats any small car and even rivals BMW and Mercedes. It's that good, IMO......as for 6 sales, I do believe the 3 will steal some away. Because the 3 is a masterpiece.
    I was playing with sales numbers... Not implying or saying anything... just for general interest.

1/04 sales compared to 12/03:

-19.1% Total (18,637/23,056)
     ------------------
     +130% Mazda3 (4,426/1,921)
     -53.1% Mazda6 (4,121/8,778)
     -48.0% MPV (1,215/2,336)
     -30.0% Millenia (7/10)*
     -25.8% Protege (2,582/3,479)*
     -13.9% RX-8 (1,789/2,079)
     +12.5% Miata (603/536)
     -2.3% Truck (929/951)
     -0.03% Tribute (2,964/2,965)
     0.0% 626 (1/1)*

*Discontinued
    which rental car company rents Mazda6s? I'm going to be in California next month and I want to rent a Mazda6 there.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,435
    try Hertz.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

I just checked it out online and it says "Mazda6 or similar". What else would it be since the Taurus is considered "large" and the Mazda6 is an "intermediate-midsize"?
    Or put another way, as USA Today noted:

Mazda's numbers jumped 24.7%, aided by strong sales of the Mazda 6 midsize and Mazda 3 compact cars. With 18,637 sales in January, Mazda surpassed Volkswagen by more than 300 units.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2004-02-03-jan-sales_x.htm

In other words, Mazda is doing great!
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    I've reserved in the Mazda 6 or similar category with Hertz and have been given the option of a Cavalier, Corolla, or Optima. There is no guarantee you will will get a 6.
    thanks for the info. I'm not going to try to do it then since Hertz is more expensive than just about every other rental place. Why pay more if you might end up with a Cavalier or Optima? And since when is a Cavalier a midsize "similar" to a Mazda6?
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Hertz uses letter classes as opposed to sizes and the rental companies' idea of size categories are flakey. I was supposed to get an upgrade from the "Mazda 6 or similar" and expected a Camry - just like I had the week before at the same airport counter and rental agent. Instead she offered me a Mustang. I'm holding 2 car seats: "Uhmm not gonna work." I actually chose the Optima but wound up with the Cavalier.

National substituted a Chrylser Concord instead of the Intrepid I reserved as they had none. But they wanted to charge me more as it was a "premium car". "Ummm it's the same car."

Avis tried to give me a Grand Am at the same price as a LeSabre. Alamo actually upgraded me from a Grand Am to a DeVille for $5/day.
  • mccullochbmccullochb Member Posts: 12
    I've just learned that this code is Camshaft Position Sensor A Circuit Range/Performance (Bank 2). The latest update by Mazda (29.2) doesn't list it as one of the "fixes". However, after ordering a third PCM.....this code too has disappeared from my car and the CEL is now off. The dealership says it can't guarantee it's fixed so we have to play the replace and wait game. This makes 6 months in a row that I have had the CEL on....for various different codes. I won't continue to visit the dealership and play the game any longer. I filed for the lemon law in Michigan last week. Today I am finally able to pick my car up after 17 days at the dealership (after I called them and threatened the attorney generals office)....only to be told to "there are no guarantees". I'm sorry Mazda but something needs to be done NOW....I KNOW I'M NOT EXPERIENCING THIS ALONE and continuing to pay the payments on a car that I don't have 4 days or more each month for the last 6.....is completely unacceptable. I hope you figure it out soon. Best of luck to the other 6 owners....
    Everybody has their won opinion Some Protege owners don't even like the 3. For me the 3 sedan is too sporty looking. Does that mean the 3 is a bad car? No. Not one car is for everybody. The Altima is already outselling the 6 so whats the difference? Nissan is offering a 1500 factory rebate On Altima.
  • chikoochikoo Member Posts: 3,008
    you need it more than others.
  • mccullochbmccullochb Member Posts: 12
    Well, I finally just picked up my car from the dealership after 17 days. All codes are now gone again (Including the P0346 -- still no idea what it is or where it came from -- went away with the 3rd PCM replacement). I have had update 29.2, 29.3 and the latest recall (fuel smell --1401 or something like that done). My dealership has assured me if I have any further CEL lights they will bring me a car and pick up mine....no questions asked 24/7. They have also agreed to go to the manufacturer on my behalf to get an extended warranty as I am not confident in the fixes (which is understandably so -- given the fact this is the 5th month in a row for repeat CEL's). I'll keep you all posted and let you know if this fix looks like it's going to work. Keep your fingers crossed. If that's the case, then many of you newbies won't have to experience several CEL's and visits to your dealer that some of us have over the last 10 months!!! I hope so, even with all of the problems I have to admit...I love my car!
    all this talk about CELs and I've never had one...knock on wood. I have almost 7000 miles on my 6i. I'll probably get a CEL on my way home now that I've mentioned it....
    This CEL thing. Some cars like mccullochb's get them a lot. I've never had one either despite all the problems I've had with engine hesitation/surging and a screwy transmission.
  • hboydhboyd Member Posts: 98
    Anybody have some raves about their 6's?? Does the car satisfy you? Let's put the negatives aside for a second. It's only a machine.

Thanks,
    Martin
    Finally, Mazda has stepped up to the plate on the rust/staining issue. Not only is Mazda notifying all owners of 2003 Mazda6's, but they are also expanding the VIN range to include all 2003s. Good job, Mazda! The following was released today:

Subject: MAZDA6 Door Sash Surface Staining - Special Service Program (SSP) 57
    Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 08:36:25 -0800

Mazda Motor Corporation has decided to conduct a Special Service Program to remove surface staining on the door sashes of 2003 model year MAZDA6 vehicles produced from October 2, 2002 to July 22, 2003.

Owners of affected vehicles will be notified by first class mail beginning February 13, 2004.

CONDITION OF CONCERN

During assembly of some 2003 MAZDA6 vehicles, a lubricant used to ease the installation of the door weather-strip caused staining over the clear coat on the door sashes.

2003 MAZDA6
    1YV *P80****M00348 - M57057
    October 2, 2002 to July 22, 2003

The asterisk symbol "*" can be any letter or number.
  • mes58mes58 Member Posts: 21
    Interesting how this broke right after the news of the rust problem hit the press. Thank you for your work on this jstandefer!
  • mpiatekmpiatek Member Posts: 68
    I'll bite on this one. I've never had so much fun driving a car before getting my MT 6s. The handling characteristics and the power delivery are incredible. Second and Third gear are golden. Cruise in either one of those gears at around 3k RPM, and you have a ton of power with a quick stab of your foot. For mountain roads, it's all about third. Engine breaking in turns is perfect, and whenever you hit a straight, you know you could be doing 85 in a matter of seconds before having to shift to fourth if you dare to go faster. :-)

I look forward to using freeway on-ramps. Driving along a road before the on-ramp, kick it down into 2nd to slow the car down slightly to around 30-35mph. Take the turn onto the on-ramp quick, stepping on the throttle coming out of the turn. 40..50, kick left and flick the shifter into third, 60..65..70 and you still have half the on-ramp to go. If you wanted to, you could be going 90 by the time you merge into traffic.

Freeway driving and acceleration is also impressive. It's amazing how smooth the car feels at higher speeds. Here in Arizona, the speed limit is 75 on freeways outside of town, and cruising with traffic is no sweat. Want to pass another car? Done. Need to get around a big truck (keep them rocks away from your paint job and windshield), no problem. The wind that gathers at the front of a big-rig doesn't even phase the Mazda 6 like other cars I've been in, where you can feel the car veering away from the truck because of wind pressure.

In short, I couldn't be happier. The Mazda 6 is an amazing vehicle. Certainly, there are other cars that perform as well as the 6, but not at the same price point and not with the level of practicality that driving a sedan gives you.

Mike
  • ANT14ANT14 Member Posts: 2,687
    "The wind that gathers at the front of a big-rig doesn't even phase the Mazda 6 like other cars I've been in"

I can vouche for this, on a recent trip borrowing a friends Mazda6 I was doing 110MPH on rain slick turnpike passing 18 wheeler's and the car felt very planted when doing so.
  • ramped1ramped1 Member Posts: 159
    "I was doing 110MPH on rain slick turnpike passing 18 wheeler's and the car felt very planted when doing so."

Wonder how well the 6's brakes will work on that wet pavement at 110 mph if something goes wrong.
  • barrysobarryso Member Posts: 66
    "Anybody have some raves about their 6's?? Does the car satisfy you? Let's put the negatives aside for a second."

I'm pretty happy, too. The car is a lot of fun to drive when your in the mood to play. It goes down rural back roads at speeds that would have other cars feeling pretty unsafe. It handles these situations with aplomb and keeps a smile on my face. Can't ask for much more than that.

It is also comfortable when your just stuck behind slow moving traffic.

Saw the hatchback at the auto show last week and *really* like it. Wish it was available a year ago...
  • hboydhboyd Member Posts: 98
    Glad to see this board showing positive feelings about the 6. I have the same feelings toward my '01 Protege ES... three years ago and now! This why I am waiting for the debut of the 6 sport wagon [sigh]. Looks like a lot of R&D went into this vehicle.

Good to see a company standing behind their product and making things right. Sadly, mistakes were made by humans in the assembly stage and possibly some R&D.
    I had 01 Protege ES 5sp before my 03 6i. That was a really nice car. I really like my 6, but I should've waited a little longer before I bought one.
  • fowler3fowler3 Member Posts: 1,919
    of country roads! Know what you mean, that's what i found out in a test drive. Wish I was ready to trade.

fowler3
  • r2s2r2s2 Member Posts: 93
    I love my 6s MT. It's not quite a 330i -- my friend's car -- but IMO it's about as close as you can get with FWD under $30K . . . and rides better. It's been trouble-free, is a blast to drive, and still gets admiring glances over a year after the car debuted.
  • ANT14ANT14 Member Posts: 2,687
    I've had to test drive numerous cars, and I myself dislike FWD cars, but this is definately the most neutral feeling, best handling, best responding FWD car I've driven. And it just begs to be thrown into curves, and quickly composes itself when doing so. If anything, someone might feel TOO confident with the vehicle.
  • livaudaislivaudais Member Posts: 55
    I have a 6s MT and sound like a broken record while singing its praises. I've owned it for 8 months now. Aside from some "staining" in the right rear door sill, I have not had a single problem. The car is still tight as a vault, with zero squeaks or rattles. I don't even use the stereo, because I love to hear the engine rev. Mine is a non-sport version, and the ride/handling compromise is perfect for me. You'll find criticism on other forums about the Michelin Energy tires that come standard on the non-sport 6 and some other sedans. Well, they work just fine on this car -- makes me think the tires aren't the problem for the others!

I compared this car to the Passat and TSX. Both have nicer interiors than the 6 (especially the Passat), but neither is as engaging to drive IMHO. I recently had the chance to drive a friend's TSX while she drove my 6. I think we both came away satisfied that we had chosen the right car.

The 6 is not for everyone. But if you're looking for a practical sport sedan, it is an excellent choice.

CL
    Nobody is complaning today on this board. Can I write this day down?