Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda6 Sedan

Comments

• baggs32baggs32 Member Posts: 3,229
    "forgot the new 300 was RWD"

I thought you were talking about the 300M. I guess you mean the 300C. Talk about confusing!

I wonder how the folks at the Chrysler assembly line keep them straight?! Oh, the possibilities. ;)

"but the Chrysler and Ford don't offer manuals"

That's exactly why I stayed away from the Taurus. If it and the Malibu offered manuals. and hopefully some kind of sport suspension, I might have taken them for a drive because you can't beat the price. Especially when you qualify for both manufacturer partner discount plans like I do.

Thank God for Mazda! I was't waitin' for the Futura either.
  • mrblonde49mrblonde49 Member Posts: 626
    "I thought you were talking about the 300M. I guess you mean the 300C. Talk about confusing!

I wonder how the folks at the Chrysler assembly line keep them straight?! Oh, the possibilities. ;)"

They don't have to. There is no more 300M. :)

BTW, I like the 300C. Very unique
    "They don't have to. There is no more 300M."

That's because the C ate it! :)

I thought the M and C overlapped a little? Not that it matters.

I like the idea of the C but I think they could have done a better job on the design. It's a little too cartoonish for me. I never did like the M very much. Too busy and too much chrome.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    You can get the Passat with leather and no moonroof. You can actually get it just about anyway you want by placing a custom order.
  • ebeneben Member Posts: 26
    My best guess is that to add SAB/SAC the headliner has to be lowered to the point that putting in the moonroof just makes sense, i.e., there would still be a nearly equivalent loss of head room even without the moonroof.
  • buggywhipbuggywhip Member Posts: 188
    I went to my local Mazda dealer to buy a 6 today. Price quoted was $15k, for a stripped model (that still had all the 6 goodness). But a strange thing happened as I was walking thru the lot--I spied a leftover 2004 Olds Alero 5-speed coupe. My rational side took over (as always) and I landed the Alero for $12k, $3k less than the Mazda6. The Alero is NOT equal to the 6. But I also got a 5yr/50k mile bumper-to-bumper warranty, which will be useful when the Alero (inevitably) goes bad on me. Query to Mazda6 fans and owners: Did I do the right thing?? I've been heartsick all day thinking it over.
  • mazda6smazda6s Member Posts: 1,901
    Aleros with the 5-speed are hard to find, as they didn't make too many and they aren't used in rental fleets. Incidently, I have a 2000 Alero 3.4L automatic and it's served me well over the last 4 years. Unfortunately your new car will depreciate faster than you can say "oldsmobile is history", and it doesn't have anywhere near the handling or road manners of the Mazda6. On the other hand, all new cars depreciate rapidly in the first years anyway. I am probably going to keep my Alero as a second car, for bad weather and for my job which takes me to some nasty remote locations on gravel roads and such.
    And why Mazda should make them standard equipment:
    http://www.iihs.org/video/si_forester.mp4
  • bigdadi118bigdadi118 Member Posts: 1,207
    CR rating the Alero . . .
    What engine, 2.2L 4-cyc? It is a Saturn L-series engine. Interior has cheap feel. The front seats are low and not especially comfortable, and the rear is cramped for adults. Reliability has improved to average. Depreciation is very steep and crash-test results are not impressive. This is the last year for the Alero, so hefty discounts are the rule and a longer warranty has been in effect. Owner satisfaction is poor.
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Mazda to Olds: sounds like you were wandering the back 40 acres at
    128 Ford/Mazda/Olds/Isuzu/Saab/Volvo!!
    Do you own an Alero or are you just echoing what you have read? Or do you just read CR and adopt their opinions? If you did, you probably wouldn't get a Mazda6 either. If you knew anything about the Alero you would know that the 5-speed only comes with the 2.2L Ecotec engine shared with the Saturn. Having owned one for 4 years (65000 miles) I'll say that while it doesn't even come close to comparing with the Mazda6, with the current steep discounts it's a pretty good value, and in my experience it's been the most reliable car I've ever owned. But, if the Mazda6 had been available when I got mine, I would have chosen it over the Alero without a second thought.
  • buggywhipbuggywhip Member Posts: 188
    Wow, robr2, you must be psychic. That's where I found my Alero!! HOW did you know that?? I had borrowed a car to drive to that dealer, I couldn't find a parking space in front so I drove around back and parked. As I walked around to the sales office, I saw a group of 5 or 6 2004 Aleros, lonely castaways of a dead nameplate. I anxiously checked each one for a stick (which is very very rare) and I was shocked to find one. I closed the deal in an hr. The dealer was quite friendly. They probably made decent $$$ on the deal, even at the cut-rate price I got. I guess we both went away happy..........Let me make it clear, however, that the Alero is woefully inferior to the 6. I didn't want to get the Alero over the 6 unless I could score a huge price savings. (As noted, I saved $3k.) This is an important issue and surely relevant to this message board, b/c Hyundai, Kia, and even Chevy are aggressively discounting their sedans; it's more competition for the 6. But the reality is, those cars (and my Olds) don't even approach the 6's excellence. But I wonder if people know that yet.......bigdadi118, I'm not defending my Alero, but my findings partly contradict your assertions. I think the front seats are actually too high, but they're comfy enough. The rear has plenty of room, I was surprised. I was also surprised at the good quality of the interior. Note, however, that I've never owned a foreign car, so perhaps my expectations are lower. You are right about the depreciation and mediocre crash tests. The engine needs more power but it's pretty quiet for a small four. Shift feel is excellent. BUT I'll always wish for a 6.
    I believe your 5-speed is a Getrag, so it's no slouch. I agree with your opinion on the seats and interior quality too. If I had the Alero 5-speed and didn't have a bug up my butt to get a new car, and a hatchback with SAB/SAC, I'd probably just drive the Alero for a couple more years. One hint, if you keep it until the stock tires wear out, get Michelins on it, you'll like it.
    My dealer is getting on in a silver 5-door with exactly the equipment I want. I thought I wanted blue, but not sure if I want to hunt around and wait a few more months to find one. I checked out the blue 5-door at another dealer and while it looks great in blue, the silver looks pretty good too. There are just too many silver cars on the road and the blue looks pretty cool to me. Any thoughts on these two colors? Anybody?
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    Congrats on your new ride. No matter what anyone else says or what any magazine writes, you are the one who has to drive the car and pay for the car. If you happy with the car and the price you paid, that's what it's all about. As Terry says..."buy and drive what you like!"
    Congrats and I wish you many happy miles with your new "baby"!

The Sandman :-)
  • zc1zc1 Member Posts: 34
    I'm digging the silver. We picked up our silver 6 hatch 2 weeks ago and love it. Yes, there are a lot of silver cars out there, but none that look anything like the 6 (ok, maybe the 3), and the 6 definitely draws a lot of attention. Silver looks clean even when it's not and doesn't show scratches, swirls, etc. as easily as darker colours. The A, B and C pillars inside the car are grey regardless of what the exterior colour is, and I think that works in favour of the silver as well. If you get cloth seats then those are either grey or black and grey, again, working perfectly with a silver or grey exterior. Finally, the whole silver and black look just works for me. http://www.zonecoaster.com/Mz6Hatch/ for photos.
    Thanks for the photos and input. I like how the wheels match the body, it looks real clean!
  • gee35coupegee35coupe Member Posts: 3,387
    Both colors are awesome in my opinion. But Silver wins in the ease of maintenance dept. Dark blue has to be washed much more frequently.

My LS400 is white over silver. That's another nice color when it's done right.

My Equinox will be silver too when I get it next year.
  • carguy58carguy58 Member Posts: 2,303
    What year Civic SI do you have? I'm just curious thats all. Congratulations on welcoming a new member of your family by the way. I heard about that on the Protege board.

Getting back to cars yeah silver is easy to wash and take care of. My CL is silver. I thought it was the best color for that car. Car looks showroom new. I get it handwashed once each month. I had a toupe/gold color on my 626. That was easy to take care of too.
    We had two white 02's(one totalled at 1500 miles) and two 00 SI's in black and blue.

I'm adjusting to being a new dad. It's a great feeling. Glad I waited 34 years though.
  • accord7accord7 Member Posts: 96
    Any strong opinions about the electroluminescent gauges in the 6? I was wondering if it really adds to the car, or if it's gaudy looking in trying to look cool. In other words, getting bored looking at red all the time?
    I don't see any big advantage except that they look cool. They could cost more for repairs down the road. Since they only come with the Luxury Package and I don't like leather, well that's fine with me. If you get leather you will get them and don't have a choice.
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    Congrats on the new edition...another car nut in the family!!!
    34 years is indeed a long time to wait. I had my 1st just a week before turning 30, and #2 and #3 followed within 2.5 years. Talk about being crazy! Three teenagers driving now!!!

The Sandman :-)
    I always liked the blue 00 Civic SI's. That bodystyle is classic.

Well good luck being a father!
    I miss it a lot.

Thanx for the well wishes guys.
  • zc1zc1 Member Posts: 34
    It looks like I'm a little late to the party, but congrats and all the best with parenthood!
    Yeah, me too. Even though we often disagree on cars, I wish you well with the little one. I am still amazed with the miracle everytime a baby comes into the world, and I'm sure you already know that you've been blessed with this miracle.
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    I knew you lived in MA. When you said you went to check out a 6 and then stumbled upon an odd Alero I took a shot. It's the only dealer with Mazda and Olds in the greater Boston area that I could think of. 128 Motors is so big I wouldn't be suprised to find a leftover Volvo 240 somewhere on their lot!!

I do go there occasionally to check out the Saabs and Volvos - no pressure at all on that side of the lot. But anytime I park near the Mazdas I feel like fresh prey.
    But life isn't much fun if everyone went around agreeing with each other. Just call me the devil's advocate. :)
    I'm sure it'd be one of the nicer things I've been called in here.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Mazda Mania

Welcome to the Mazda Mania Weekly Chat!

Liven up your evening and join your fellow enthusiasts every Tuesday from 6-7pm PT/9-10pm ET for our Mazda Mania Chat!
    The chat room opens 15 minutes before the scheduled chat time, so come early and get a good seat! Hope to see YOU there on Tuesday!

Mazda Mania Chat Room

PF Flyer
    Host
    Pickups & News & Views Message Boards
  • chikoochikoo Member Posts: 3,008
    >>> Of course, if you drive the MT around in a lower gear and keep the RPMs up, the MT will give you the acceleration sooner becuase you don't have to downshift at all. :) <<<

I do that.
    but fighting the torque is quite annoying when you jab the gas pedal and u are trying to weave your way in the traffic. The car wants to go straight because of the immense power put to the wheels on the V6 - and I want to turn it. Doesn't make it as nimble as I would like for traffic.
  • newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
    "because of the immense power put to the wheels on the V6"

Lol. Immense power.
    This past Saturday was a fairly decent day weather-wise in my area and I was with the relatives for a pre-Easter get together. Everyone was ogling over our new redfire Mazda6. Very few knew what it was, but all of them really liked it.

Anyway, three times, out of the blue and at separate "showings", I was told that it somewhat resembles a Mustang. Has anyone ever been told this before?

I have to say, when looked at from certain angles it does resemble a current gen Mustang to a degree. Maybe it's just all in my head now. Try an elevated rear three-quarter view and see what you think.

Another funny thing happened while I was there. My cousin is in the market for a new car to replace his 2002 Accord SE V6 ATX and, per my advise to him last July, was planning on taking a trip to a Mazda dealer to check out what they have. To avoid having to answer more questions (so I could better concentrate on the beer in hand) I just gave him the keys. Needless to say, the car sold itself. He's in the process of buying one this week and should take delivery of a black MTX Mazda6s (BOSE, Sport pkg, lux pkg, moonroof) sometime today or tomorrow.

I think Mazda owes me something for being such a good salesman! Maybe a free sport grille or auto-dim mirror? :)
  • midwesttradermidwesttrader Member Posts: 291
    baggs - I've had people tell me that too. Especially as viewed from the rear. I'm not sure I like the comparison. lol
  • cop414cop414 Member Posts: 68
    Yes,
    I too have been told the same thing by numerous persons. The most memorable was when I pulled into a body shop and two of the workers came out to look at my redfire. Both of them told me that from inside they both thought that I had pulled into the lot in a new Mustang? I kind of laughed at them, but now it seems like this is a more common thing :-)
  • rampedramped Member Posts: 358
    I have heard others say the M6 rear end is similar to that of a Cavalier.

After checking, I'd agree there is a resemblance.

Ouch! But, what the heck, the Cavalier isn't that bad looking of a car, is it?
    "I'm not sure I like the comparison."

I don't mind the comparison at all but one of my relatives was a little disappointed that a V8 wasn't under the hood. ;)

I've heard the Cavalier comparo somewhere before too. I think it was talked about on this thread actually.

I know I've mistaken the back of a Corolla S for the Mazda6 before. Just with a quick glance.
  • cutemorganitecutemorganite Member Posts: 37
    When I began working at a new job, my boss asked if I had a ride home, I told her "yes" and showed her my redfire "chaos", she thought for about three weeks it was a Mustang, but I just took that to her being "old". As far as the tail lights looking like a Cavalier, I think the 3's tail lights look more like a Cavalier than the 6's.
  • hokiedoghokiedog Member Posts: 24
    Okay, the rust issue caused me to hold off on a purchase for awhile. I'm ready to buy now.

Question:
    My dealership is giving the $1500 dealer cash to the customer, and that is really what is pushing me over the edge. My problem is that I will likely have to order my car, since there are no cars nearby w/ the options I want. Considering that orders take 3 months to fill, the current rebate will have expired.

So, what do you think the chances are they will keep a $1000+ rebate after 6/30/04? I don't want to be in a position where they drop the rebate before I get the car. Would it safe to make my order now, or will I need to insist on getting the car before the rebate expires?

Help?
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    the incentives have been better for the MZ6 but the sales of the car has never been stronger, so there is no reason for mazda to increase incentives. But you never know. It's the gamble you take with a factory order.

Also...and this is huge. Allocation runs this week so you need to get your order to the dealer today or your order won't even be accepted by mazda for another 4 weeks.
  • hokiedoghokiedog Member Posts: 24
    Thanks for the reply.

I don't care if the rebates increase... I wouldn't even be bothered if the rebate is decreased to $1000. I won't be very happy if it goes away more than that, however.

Also, thanks for the heads up about ordering today. I'm hoping Friday won't be too late, since today is my salesman's day off (or the closest he gets to one). I may still call and make sure he isn't in. Otherwise I'll just have to wait a bit longer.
    Maybe a little but they are distinct from each other. I myself do not like the current bodystyle Mustang though. The 97-98 Mustang was the best styled Mustang I thought.

Baggs32: Why is your cousin trading his 2002 Accord in? The car is only a couple years old.
  • vkarvkar Member Posts: 28
    Does anybody know where I can find a pic of a non-sport 6i with 17" wheels and lip spoiler?
  • thegreatvudinithegreatvudini Member Posts: 103
    Usually, rebates tend to only grow the further you go into a model year. The reason being cars get to stay on the lot a longer time, or they are older (in model year). If you don't "need" one now, I would bet that the rebate you are counting on will still be there whenever you are ready. Unless (of course) thewhole world for some reason decides to get the same car you want! Unlikely!

As for the 6 lookalikes, I think it kinda looks like the Corolla from behind (especially the tail lights). What blasphemy! (I don't particularly like Toyotas that much --what an understatement!)

vudini
    "Baggs32: Why is your cousin trading his 2002 Accord in? The car is only a couple years old."

He was in an accident, middle of a chain reaction, last year and claims it hasn't been the same since. Plus he never really liked it anyway. He only bought it because he got a good deal on it and didn't like any domestic models at the time. The Mazda6 was not out yet so it wasn't a choice.

He's picking up his Mazda6 as I type this. All it took was one semi-spirited drive on a twisty back road to hook him, and he's not a car nut like me. Imagine what a simple test drive could do for the rest of the masses.
  • grahambgrahamb Member Posts: 45
    I've been looking at buying a 6 recently. I was pretty excited when I thought I saw one in my neighborhood yesterday morning. Got a little closer and realized it wasn't a 6...looked like a Chevy Cavalier...UGG, i thought...did i really just do that?!?!? I think I was just thrown off by its shade of blue...looked like the Lapis Blue on the 6.... Then as I got closer I realized that it wasn't a cavalier...it was a new Pontiac GTO. That thing is pretty boring looking for 350 HP.
  • the_big_hthe_big_h Member Posts: 1,583
    for ONLY $35k

i'd take it.
    I'm planning on buying a 6 (finally) in the next few months. I decided to test drive an Accord again today to see how well it compared to the 6. I came to the conclusion the 6 betters the Accord in looks, steering, braking, handling and coolness. The Accord's only superior feature was it's super 5-speed manual transmission. Short throws, great clutch, absolute perfection. I do wish Mazda's manual was that good, but you can't have it all.
  • newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
    I finally borrowed my brother's digital camera and took some pics.

The first ones are at the parking ramp that I use in downtown. I also took some pics of my Dad's Focus wagon, because it has a very similar rear suspension design.

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/581515/1
    Anyone driving a 6 regret their choice of transmission? Any manual 5-speed drivers wish they had opted for an automatic? Or automatic owners wish they had opted for the manual? Edmunds review says the clutch is finicky, but what is the opinion of the average owner? Thanks in advance for any responses.