Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda6 Sedan

Comments

• madaxemanmadaxeman Member Posts: 8
    No, I have a 6s.
  • mazdamarlamazdamarla Member Posts: 350
    Even tho I've had my '03 for almost a year now, I ordered mine April 1 and didn't take delivery until July 11. So yes, the wait time is slow, but it also seems to be pretty normal when you order a vehicle from Mazda. :(
  • hboydhboyd Member Posts: 98
    Actually, I waited only about 3 weeks for my ordered '01 Protege ES to arrive at my dealership. Fleet Manager slipped it into the allotment just in time; although it may have been at the port already! :)

A 2+ month wait-time seems extraordinary to me. I couldn't wait that long.

Rich.... Any '05 MZ6 Engine changes in the works? Better fuel mileage and cleaner emissions? Thanks.

MARTIN
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    back in 01 we didn't do specific factory orders like now...mazda ordered the cars and shipped them to the port and then we selected what we wanted from the port inventory. I could get a car within 10 days....now we order specific cars directly from the factory and it takes months....

no changes that they have mentioned so far.
  • cheesehead6cheesehead6 Member Posts: 68
    1-hboyd:
    As Rich said. no changes to the engines, but 2 very important changes that will AFFECT the engines:

6S (Auto) : 6 speed auto transmission
    6I (Manual): New gear ratios for 4th & 5th.Gears
                 dropped.

2-BTW,Rich: Do you happen to know if they are switching over to spin-on oil filters on the '05 6Is? Or can you find out? There have been rumors to that effect. The cartridge filters they put on the '03s and '04 were one of Mazda's more stupid decisions. Hope there's something to the rumors.
    hahaha....I screwed up. Thank you cheesehead for correcting me. I had Mazda3 on my mind when I was writing your reply.

I looked over the stuff they sent me and there is no mention of the filter...But they usually dont't talk about that stuff on my end. We also have not received the 2004 tech manuals yet.

Thanks cheese.
    1-hboyd:
    As Rich said. no changes to the engines, but 2 very important changes that will AFFECT the engines:

6S (Auto) : 6 speed auto transmission
    6I (Manual): New gear ratios for 4th & 5th.Gears
                 dropped.

2-BTW,Rich: Do you happen to know if they are switching over to spin-on oil filters on the '05 6Is? Or can you find out? There have been rumors to that effect. The cartridge filters they put on the '03s and '04 were one of Mazda's more stupid decisions. Hope there's something to the rumors.
  • dodgedudedodgedude Member Posts: 17
    a 6 yesterday (4 cyl auto). I love this car, it's nimble in turns, plenty of pep (for me anyway). Lots of standard features for the $$. The sticker listed gas mileage as 22/28 city/hwy, should I expect to actually get that? Right now, I'm having too much fun breaking it in, if you know what I mean ;), but how's the gas mileage over time?
  • ANT14ANT14 Member Posts: 2,687
    Not sure about over time, but I borrowed a friends 6i for a road trip (thinking my LS V8 would waste much more gas), and I averaged 13-14MPG, this was cruising at 95-108MPH most of the way though. I'm sure you can get 28MPG, just keep it under 60 to do so. So I can share that part of the spectrum for you.
  • gee35coupegee35coupe Member Posts: 3,387
    I'd travel a few carlenghts behind you any day. That's my kinda driving.
  • ian2ian2 Member Posts: 168
    I have a 6i manual and I get close to 30mpg on long trips doing 80-85. 24mpg or so around town.
    Not sure what I did wrong, but on the return trip I hit 15MPG only because I turned off the A/C every so often. I returned it to my friend, and she asked if I did much better fuel wise, just told her to keep it at decetn speeds and yes it does well.

Although not hard to understand since at that speed your revving 4300-4800RPM the whole way. Prior to that, borrowed her husbands 02' Mustang V6. Same length, same speed and was able to do it at 22MPG, turning 2300-2600RPM. You would think the I4 6I would do better with fuel than a V6, but in this case, that wasn't the senario.
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    The one thing I learn from ANT's posts consistently is; you're not borrowing my cars, ANT!!! :)
  • mazda6smazda6s Member Posts: 1,901
    Where can you cruise at 95-108MPH and not endanger the public?
    We had a long discussion about it in the inconsiderate drivers forum. Drop over, we can talk.
    " is; you're not borrowing my cars, ANT!!! :)" Ironically because of "certain situation's that you could figure out" many people lend me their vehicles and they tell me how well their vehicles run after...heh...

"Where can you cruise at 95-108MPH and not endanger the public?"

FL Turnpike, when your cutting through swamps. We all endager ourselves and other's when we drive off our driveways. Some just have no concept of their vehicles and their limitations, so "to be politically correct" speed limits are something those people should follow.

What's worse... This time around for 30 Miles I was being followed (literally on my bumper) by some guy in a Chevy Venture, with kids inside. YOU DON'T DO that... Specially not behind me because I do tend to slam brakes if I see cops up-ahead/radar detector beeps.

And then of course once you hit Palm Beach south, the Banana Republic starts, so people have no understanding left lane is for faster vehicles.

"inconsiderate drivers forum"

Can you link me, to discuss issues like above? Would love to share some things some rude driver's tend to do.
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    I Would lend you my cars - for reasons I think I have figured out...... LOL :) For all I know, you have already driven some of them.
    gee35coupe "Inconsiderate Drivers (share your stories, etc.)" Jun 27, 2004 11:57am

Ahh yesss. The Fl turnpike. I got absolutely LEFT at 130 mph on that road trying to follow a 911 Turbo. It was a spectacular display of Porche power.
  • ericzoomericzoom Member Posts: 213
    Try the Sawgrass any time of the day. Everybody drives it like the Indy 500.
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    I just wish they'd turn the whole thing into 3 lanes per side. Heard this might happen...eventually.

The Sandman :-)

(Live by the sawgrass and 441)
  • newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
    "I'm sure you can get 28MPG, just keep it under 60 to do so. So I can share that part of the spectrum for you."

Hardly. I have a 6i MT, and I just got back from a road trip up to Mille Lacs Lake and I was going about 80 mph the whole way. I even did a few 3rd gear downshifts. I got 32 mpg. Just checked it 20 minutes ago.
  • ericzoomericzoom Member Posts: 213
    They are going to make the Sawgrass 3 lanes.There's a lot of fighting going on about it.

sawgrass & Coral ridge
    We all endager ourselves and other's when we drive off our driveways.

Using that kind of logic you could justify almost any kind of socially irresponsible behavior.
  • mazdajkmazdajk Member Posts: 28
    People that take chances like Ant14 will learn the hard way. I just hope when a tire blows or they lose control they are alone and no one else has to pay for their stupid mistake. A moron and his mazda 6 will soon be parted. Sorry Karen!
  • dodgedudedodgedude Member Posts: 17
    Mileage from the first fill-up: 26.8 mpg (mixed city/hwy). Not bad for 6i w/auto in my opinion, definitely better than the 17 mpg I averaged in the Ram.
    Yes Sawgrass Expressway is currently having it's battle so tyhey widen it to 3 lanes. Coral Springs has grown a bit too much recently and it's needed. Worse case senario, I've had to use the emergency lane for passing when someone's doing 10 under the speed limit, YET on the "fast lane".

"Using that kind of logic you could justify almost any kind of socially irresponsible behavior."

Most accidents occur, for the simpliest of stupidities. Running red lights, talking on the cell phone, switching lanes without turn signals, NOT knowing what your vehicles limitations are, and plain LACK of common sense.

Those I've known to have gotten into accidenst, NONE were speeding... They were nicely following the flow of traffic, and something stupid occured... I see it this way, When your ALERT and paying attention at numerous factors, all 3 mirrors, and watching out for cops (for those who do not have the benefit of dating police officer's that can fix tickets for you), your more involved and aware of what's going on.

When it's YOUR time to go, your going to go hitting a wall at 90MPH, or being stopped at a traffic light and having one fall from the cables/posts onto you. Those who have an issue with it, can stay in the comfort of their right-most lane and do as their wish, just avoid the left most lane. Unlike this Corolla on the Turnpike tonight that THOUGHT because he was going 5MPH over the speed limit, was enough reason to take the left most lane. (But this is common in Miami, 3rd world thinking).

If you knew what I do on the side, you would understand that taking a Mazda6 at 100+ is quite typical. And reason for me taking her car, was because (I thought I was going to save fuel, HA), but manly because it would have been a wet ride. I would NOT have passed an 18 wheeler on rain covered highway at 80MPH on a Mustang (which I had years ago as an example, since it's RWD).

Again, it's all knowing your limitations.... Ironically, the few around me that have complained about my driving, are those that themselves have been in accidents, or hypocritically chat on their cell phone and cause the accidents. YET, these hypo-critics need to be rushed to the hospital (labor, heart-attack, etc) I Get called to rush them there, figure that one out.

Speed is ok, as long as common sense, total alertness, and understanding of vehicle limitations are understood. As I've mentioned, those I know that have gotten into accidents were lacked one of the above, and speed wasn't an issue.

Overall, many won't (nor do I recommend it) take their 6's above to the limits. But I can tell you, it's one of VERY few FWD vehicles that I will drive, only because it's limits are high overall and I'm aware of the engineering behind it.

The next treat, will be the new Ford 500 coming out. That'll be another great example of a vehicle with very good roadability, and high limits and while it won't approach the drivabilities of the Mazda6, the engineering behind it's engineering won't lag that far behind it either.
    Most accidents occur, for the simpliest of stupidities. Running red lights, talking on the cell phone, switching lanes without turn signals, NOT knowing what your vehicles limitations are, and plain LACK of common sense.

And speeding.

From NHTSA stats:
    Top 10 Related Factors for Drivers Involved in Fatal Crashes
    Factor, Number of incidents, percentage of total:
    Failure to keep in proper lane or running off road .. . . .. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 18,274 31.8
    Driving too fast for conditions or in excess of
     posted speed limit or racing . . . . . . . . . . . 11,371 19.8
    Failure to yield right of way .. . . . . . . . . . . . . . 4,802 8.4
    Inattentive (talking, eating, etc.) . . . . . . . . . . . 4,014 7.0
    Operating vehicle in erratic, reckless, careless,
    or negligent manner . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 3,385 5.9
    Failure to obey traffic signs, signals, or officer . . . .. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 3,016 5.2
    Overcorrecting/oversteering .. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2,000 3.5
    Swerving or avoiding due to wind, slippery surface,
    vehicle, object, nonmotorist in roadway, etc.. . . . . . . 1,852 3.2
    Drowsy, asleep, fatigued, ill, or blackout . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1,677 2.9
    Making improper turn . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1,434 2.5
  • rampedramped Member Posts: 358
    You know the limitations of your vehicle and your capability, but what you DON'T know are the capabilities of the drivers around you. That is the difference between the FL turnpike and Sebring.

Also, you DON'T know when an animal is going to run across the road in front of you (and there are a bunch of critters that live around the Florida swamps. I live here, too.)

At the insane speeds you are traveling, you completely throw off the reaction time of other drivers around you. No one is expecting a car to close on them from behind at 100 plus.

Do everyone a favor and join some kind of auto club and get this stuff out of your system off the public roads. You are a menace.
  • anonymouspostsanonymousposts Member Posts: 3,802
    You can obey speed limits and be a menace also. Choose your poison.
  • rampedramped Member Posts: 358
    Why must we choose?

Is it impossible to obey the speed limits (or at least stay reasonably close to them) and not be a menace?
    I would rather share the road with someone who is alert and speeding than share the road with someone going the speed limit while talking on the phone, putting on make-up, eating, etc. Now someone who is going 100MPH while talking on the phone, applying mascara, and eating a plate of spaghetti .. that's the driver you need to be worried about. Not us 80-100mph "cruisers".
    I would rather share the road with someone who is alert and speeding than share the road with someone going the speed limit while talking on the phone, putting on make-up, eating, etc. Now someone who is going 100MPH while talking on the phone, applying mascara, and eating a plate of spaghetti .. that's the driver you need to be worried about. Not us 80-100mph "cruisers".

How about sharing the road someone who is alert and NOT speeding?

I would suggest that we should worry about anyone who drives irresponsibly, whether it's because they're so stupid they choose to do things that distract their attention from their driving, OR because they're so arrogant they think they should be able to speed since they're such a superior driver that they can do it without endangering other peoples lives.
  • ramon1ramon1 Member Posts: 15
    ANT14 is an arrogant fool.

He is the kind of person who thinks his skills, ability, and attitude are so special, the laws don't apply to him.

Michael Schumacher has no business driving 100mph+ on a U.S. public road! But ANT14 is special, so we'll forgive him when he kills somebody.

Speed limits are set for the general public--bad, average, and excellent drivers. The best driver in the world cannot control every factor involved in a crash: the behavior of other drivers, weather & road conditions, equipment failure, etc.

ANT14, rent a track and get off the road. You idiot!
    Mind you, while your passing cars doing 100, they themselves are doing a comfortable 90 as well. Seldomly do I pass a vehicle actually doing the limit of 70.

When the flow around you is doing give or take a difference of 10-15, it's easier to work with. Critter's? Driving on the Turnpike for years, even from being much younger, I have NEVER seen any type of animal or road kill on them roads. If they were secondary country roads, those I do follow...well maybe at 10 MPH for decoration.

So because someone exceed's the speed limit, this makes them arrogant? That perception is quite close minded based on little background information contained wherein. Everyone exceed's the speed limit, and I'm not going for "Saint of the year" award to deny such things. Secret is doing it responsibly, and with eloquence (use turn signals, and don't cut anyone off).

For all those are highly disturbed, chances are you have faced in situaion where someone rubbed you the wrong way while driving, and in turn have developed some road rage over it. And that's NOT a healthy way of driving. Or those hypocritically preaching like the P.L.O. while doing it behind people's back.
    No, you are arrogant because you believe you are such a superior driver that you can pick and choose which laws to follow. You are an accident looking for a place to happen. Your lack of social responsibility is just as dangerous as a bad driver's lack of skill.
    You know nothing of me, to make such a judgement. People can pick a few of what other's may deem as "innapropiate" things you do, use the word arrogance just because they dislike your opinion.

Arrogance: The word to use when you disagree with someone's views/action when your judging them.

That's pretty childish to make such accusations overall. Such hatred and hostility is really un-necessary on these boards.

Anyhow, this has gone off-topic, so get back to it. We wouldn't want new Mazda6 owner's to know they can't drive their cars above 55MPH, when they get to read this board.
    If all people were alert, regardless of whether they went the speed limit or not, the number of accidents would drop dramatically.
  • ramon1ramon1 Member Posts: 15
    You know what? I speed (go 75-80 mph in a 70 mph zone to & from work). I frequently have to move out of the left lane to let others by.

I've gotten angry at times, as you describe, and done foolish things.

Nonetheless, for some reason, your suggestion that its is OK to routinely drive 100mph+ seems over the top and irresponsible.
    Why move out of the way? Are we obligated to assist people in driving recklessly? Isn't 5 or 10 mph over the limit fast enough? If not, how much is, 15, 20, 25, 30?
    Then to that I could say....

"Isn't it arrogant, to take the left most passing lane just because your doing the speed limit and you think it gives you the right because your such a brownie girl, good do-er, that you think it's ok".

That's just part of being a rude driver, the passing lane is just used for that passing, but to keep the same speed to block passing traffic is rude. Do it, and your liable to getting honked at, cut off, have them trail your bumper where you hardly see their front hood. (I have a friend that does all the above when she's frustrated).

BTW, when driving a FWD car, and if you are bumped by the rear at high speed's (for those delicate watcher's-over 50MPH) by a car doing 2-3MPH more than you are, you will lose control, spin out, and probably flip (depending upon the vehicle, Corolla's Camry's are most suseptible).

Just a tip....
  • pj23pj23 Member Posts: 158
    I'm not entirely certain where I stand on the issue. On the one hand, I have a very difficult time condoning driving at 90+ mph speeds. On the other hand, I too drive faster than the speed limit, though within 10-15 mph of the limit. Where is the line? To admit any speeding is OK opens up a very slippery slope. To deny it ignores the fact that speeds above the speed limit can be and are safe. I suppose that stastics could demonstrate where reasonable safety begins to erode.

My worry is not with those in new (or even older) well-maintained cars. It's with the one in the 30-year-old Detroit sedan that hasn't seen a mechanic or even a car wash in much of that time. Equipment can and will fail, even if the guy in that old Buick, or the guy behind him, is an excellent driver. And when that happens, can the reaction times of either of them enable their intervention to prevent a serious crash?

There was a good column a few months back in C/D, about licensing individuals to allow them to travel at speeds considerably higher than the current speed limit. Can't remember who the author was (maybe Yates or Bedard), but the concept was interesting and certainly has merit.
    ANT...I have enjoyed your input on edmunds for a while and on some topics your well versed...but you need to move on from this debate. Trying to justify your law breaking driving habits does nothing but make you look immature and foolish.

Alot of us drive in a spirited manner, but we don't brag about it.
    If the flow of traffic is 5-10 over the limit and I want to drive 20 or 30 over, the drivers in front of me have no obligation to move over. They have no obligation to help me drive carelessly, and I have no right to endanger lives by doing so.
    " Trying to justify your law breaking driving habits does nothing but make you look immature and foolish."

Not at all justifying...Shared a situation, then the moral patrol kicked in. I know what I do is wrong, my only convinction is from admitting, for far less other's have been crusified. It's like porn, some get a kick out of it privately, but publically they deny it.

" They have no obligation to help me drive carelessly, and I have no right to endanger lives by doing so."

And as I've stated a long while ago, you pull out from your driveway, and your a risk. How you wish to play your cards, is up to do, but you will always be playing offensively or defensively.
    And as I've stated a long while ago, you pull out from your driveway, and your a risk. How you wish to play your cards, is up to do, but you will always be playing offensively or defensively.

So you believe that pulling out of your driveway endangers other people as much as driving 20-30 mph over the speed limit. Now I understand the problem.
    No...YOU, I, and everyone. It's like owning a gun, it endangers everyone just possessing it. When it's your time to go, it can be by some little old-lady running into a storefront, an airplane engine falling from the sky, limits are endless.

But the topic has moved on since nothing will change nor be resolved such as world hunger.

How many 6-01'+ people have a hard time adjusting into a perfect driving position on the 6?
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Would someone like to go to the News & Views board and either locate or fire up a place where this debate can continue?

This isn't the place. I'll be glad to provide a link to another discussion when one is started (or found) if you'd like.

And the name-calling that took place earlier is way out of bounds...
    I really wanted to get in on this one. I'm with you ANT.
    If I'm in the passing lane doing 10-15 miles over the speed and I see some madman coming up on me at over 100, I don't think about such things as rights and responsibilities. I just head for the slow lane asap. It's only prudent. Those who want to go 100+ in a 65 zone and and are prevented from doing so by some slowpoke doing 75-80 are apt to become frustrated and angry and do something foolish. That's when they are at their most dangerous.

A few months ago I was (technically)speeding on the I-90 here at close to 80 and a guy came up on me at an ANT rate of speed--so fast that he was about to run up my tailpipe by the time I first saw him in my rearview mirror. I began taking immediate evasive action--heading for the right lane--but the guy was ALREADY trying to get around me on the right and we nearly collided in the right lane. I yanked the steering wheel left and swerved back into the passing lane as he roared past me head bobbing to his stereo music.

That [non-permissible content removed] nearly killed me. I'm sure he was physically healthy, had good vision and decent reflexes. But he nearly killed me and himself. 100+ mph on a public highway makes you an extreme menace no matter what your driving skills are. In an SUV you are an ultra-menace.

Most dangerous of all is that people driving at that rate of speed frighten the motorists they overtake, often causing them--the victims of their imprudent behavior-- to make a mistake out of sheer panic. I've seen this a million times. I've been there myself.

The rationale that anything can happen anywhere under any circumstances is a poor excuse for an argument. Yeah, I could be getting in my car in my driveway and the door from a passing jet could fall off, land on the roof and squish my car and me. Does this justify doing 120 on a public highway? I don't think so....

Take it to the track, ANT.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Yes, gee, you certainly did give us the right place - thank you.

gee35coupe Jun 27, 2004 12:16pm

To all - as interesting as this debate has been (and it has), this is the WRONG place for it to occur. Please go to that link and follow gee's suggestion to continue. You can copy your posts from here and paste them into that discussion if you like, but we cannot continue this conversation here.

We need to get back on topic. We are light years away from the Mazda6 which means we are useless to the people who somehow think if they click on a discussion named Mazda6, they might actually find some conversation about that vehicle. ;)