Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda6 Sedan

Comments

• fitguyfitguy Member Posts: 220
    Don't have an answer, but can you get me some of whatever you're smoking?
  • sugoiyasugoiya Member Posts: 12
    I was as surprised as anybody when I saw Consumer Reports give the Mazda6 a below average rating on initial reliability. As of today, CR places the 6 among such undistinguished company as Chrysler’s Stratus/Sebring models and Chevy’s Malibu. I decided to investigate the Problems & Solutions boards a bit and found people complaining about the following:

Squealing brakes, clattering clutch plates (on manuals) and hard shifting (on automatics), cloth seat covers that are bunching or tearing, rust spots, misbehaving automatic climate control systems, wipers that skip across the windshield, and four recalls over balky software and sensors.

Much of these can be attributed to the 6 only being on the market for a little over a year. Until Mazda figures out to fix them, however, CR seems justified in its ratings (IMO).
  • cutemorganitecutemorganite Member Posts: 37
    I don't get it, what do you mean, "What I'm smoking?"
  • rampedramped Member Posts: 358
    Most of the problems CR reported are probably related to the fuel sender recall and the stain issue last year which caused a frenzy on this board.

As for the other problems you cite concerning hard shifts, brakes, etc., they are reported by owners of all makes. Different owners have different tolerances for issues with their vehicles. Something that "clatters" according to one owner might be totally ignored by another.

After six weeks with my 6, what I know is that this is a well-buttoned down vehicle comparable in build quality to Honda and Toyota.

As time passes, my experiences and others like mine will trickle in to CR and I predict that the car will return to the recommended list.
  • rattlerrattler Member Posts: 7
    LOOSE TRIM - The plastic trim piece around the hand brake on my 6i is loose at the back left hand corner (as viewed sitting in the driver seat). I can easily move this piece up and down from that corner. Could someone check on their 6 and let me know if this is normal? If not, this is probably the cause of terrible rattles in my interior.

LOOSE BRAKES - My dealer machined my front rotors to take care of my car shaking when braking per a TSB. But my brakes seem "loose" now. Earlier, the car used to start slowing down when I applied slight force on the brake pedal. No the pedal seems to depress a lot more before the car starts to slow down. Is this normal after machining the rotors? Can anything be done to make the brakes feel "tighter"? Dealer says nothing more can be done.

Appreciate any help on either problem.
  • likaglovlikaglov Member Posts: 82
    Doesn't this defeat the purpose of the ACC? When I try this, everything is manual. The fan speed does not auto-adjust with the temperature, the vent does not change from floor to front, etc. I like these other ACC features, just seems like the A/C should not be on when it is only 40-degrees outside. Not to mention the gas milage is bad enough...

Anyone else have this issue, I need to schedule my next oil-change and "punch list"...
  • skibry1skibry1 Member Posts: 174
    What a clever way to phrase [non-permissible content removed] session.
  • likaglovlikaglov Member Posts: 82
    How does the shut-off for the seat warmers work? Is it a timer or a temperature sensor? Sometimes they are warm and toasty, other times I never seem to notice that they are even on. Leads me to believe it is a timer... This is my first car with leather, and I definitely like it! I leave the switch ON, as opposed to turning it on after I start the car, any issue there?
  • leo80leo80 Member Posts: 4
    hi all,

i am in the process of buying a Mazda6 S Sport Sedan Black V6 MT w/ Leather, Moonroof and Bose Audio Package. the invoice price for this is $24K and so far I've negotiated the price down to $23K (all this includes the $500 recent grad disc).

I was curious to know what kind of prices are you guys paying for your 6. this is the first time i'm buying a new car n i wanna make sure i'm not getting ripped off in the process.

thanks!
  • grahambgrahamb Member Posts: 45
    is this for a 2004 or 2005?
  • leo80leo80 Member Posts: 4

and it's me being picky about the color (i want black exterior) ... otherwise the dealer is ready to give me an in-stock grey with the same specs for 22.5K + taxes, title.
  • ccwinslowccwinslow Member Posts: 29
    >>How does the shut-off for the seat warmers work? Is it a timer or a temperature sensor? Sometimes they are warm and toasty, other times I never seem to notice that they are even on. Leads me to believe it is a timer... This is my first car with leather, and I definitely like it! I leave the switch ON, as opposed to turning it on after I start the car, any issue there?<<

My seat warmer gets uncomfortably hot sometimes, feels like my rear end is frying. My husband (who has a seat warmers in his Subaru) says you're supposed to turn it off after it warms up. I have no problem with that. :)

C. C.
  • suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    I have seat heaters in both my Maxima and the Mazda6 and in both cars they are so toasty I can only have them on about 5 minutes. I love them. When I bought our Maxima the dealer told me to turn them off when you're not using them, first to keep your butt from getting burned, and second to avoid drain on the battery. So that leads me to think they're just like a portable heater -- you turn them on, they're on until you turn them off. They do have 2 settings -- high and low, so maybe when you don't feel it as much you have them on the low setting.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • thegreatvudinithegreatvudini Member Posts: 103
    Anybody has a with thte CD changer? Some time back, while unloading/loading CDs, one got stuck in the disc4 slot, with a blinking light. The changer would not play, and I could not eject any disc. Now I haven't listened to a CD for a month, and my dealer who took down my service request hasn't called me to inform a new unit has come in (they would call me in when it does, and swap the units; send the stuck unit back somewhere, retrieve my discs, and send them back). I don't know where to turn to. TO make matters worse, one of the CDs I borrowed from the library! Anyone with stuck CDs in your changer?

Vudini
  • slickdogslickdog Member Posts: 225
    Someone on the "Mazda6 Owners: Problems & Solutions" discussion reported that problem quite a while back, but I didn't see a follow-up post.

Unfortunately you're probably at the dealer's mercy. Removing the discs yourself would likely be a significant challenge.
  • sj4231sj4231 Member Posts: 2
    No problem. I have the 4 door Sedan and put my Delphi Skyfi radio antenna in the back window and it works fine (as it did in my Taurus). However, you are correct; there aren't many places to mount the receiver.

Looks like it will be on the dash.
  • tartistartis Member Posts: 1
    I turn my seat warmers on for about 2 - 3 minutes, and my seat stays warm for quite some time. My body temp keeps the seat warm after that period.
  • cutemorganitecutemorganite Member Posts: 37
    I have the CD changer, and I have never had that problem. A lot of times, when things like that happens, it takes a while for them to get the part. My friend has an '04 Solara, and shortly after she got her car last year, a CD got stuck in her single disc player that was connected to her navigation system. It took Toyota like three months to contact her and let her know her new navigation system was there. Before I got my 6, I had a Kia Sephia, and within three months, the motor in my window died, and it took at least a month for them to get the part, so I had to drive around with the window stuck open like 3 inches.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    every Tuesday we have have a chat based on a Mazda platform (although we do tend to wander to all kinds of subjects) where you can meet and greet your fellow forum members. Hope to see YOU there tonight!

PF Flyer
    Host
    Pickups & News & Views Message Boards

The MAZDA chat is on TONIGHT. Stop in for a holiday visit! Check out the schedule
  • groovypippingroovypippin Member Posts: 264
    The Automobile Journalists of Canada have named the Mazda6 Sport as the best new family vehicle in Canada for 2005.

The Mazda6 wagon was named best in the station wagon category.

Last year mazda won every category they entered and the Mazda3 was ultimately named the best new car in Canada by the AJAC. They will name the best car for 2005 at the Canadian International Autoshow held in Toronto in February.
    Not much happening around here lately. Everybody doing their holiday shopping?

I turned 2,000 miles on my 04 6s sport the other day. I've had it two months and it's been flawless.

Hope your experiences are the same.
    After a bit of a software snafu last week, we'll try to get a harder count on how many of you are coming to the Philadelphia Auto Show on Feb 5th and 6th (that's the first weekend of the show) so we can figure out how many goodies we might need! So stop in at one of the chats this week and let us know!

PF Flyer

Host

The MAZDA chat is on TONIGHT. Stop in for a holiday visit! Check out the schedule
  • mz6greyghostmz6greyghost Member Posts: 1,230
    My holiday shopping is done, including a gift for my 6S!

As an early Christmas gift, I bought a set of 4 Michelin Pilot Alpin PA2's on steel wheels (205/60-R16). As everyone else probably knows, the 17" OEM Michelins are worthless in the snow. After 3 weeks with the PA2's, I'm having just as much fun driving in 4" of lake-effect snow as I do clipping the apexes in summer!

I always thought all-season's were fine for winter... not anymore. If you live anywhere where you get a lot of snow, get snow tires and enjoy driving your 6 year-round!

I've just hit 5,000 miles on my '04 6S. Four months, all smiles, and NO problems. For once, I'll actually ENJOY going to my in-laws for the holidays. They're 2 1/2 hours away, and I get to take my car...
  • suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    Have you really noticed a difference? Living in central Ohio, sometimes we get very little snow, sometimes a lot. I'm a little nervous about my new 6 this first winter especially since it replaced a Subaru that was terrific in snow. How expensive are snow tires, and does it matter if most of the time you have very little snow to drive them on? For several years we had a rear wheel drive Toyota Previa that could not be driven at all if it snowed a lot, and we got by, so I'm thinking maybe we don't need to go to the expense of snow tires if the regular ones are at least ok.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
    If you're a careful driver, the OEM Michelin's may be tolerable, especially if you don't get a lot of heavy snowfall. Depends on your comfort level, I suppose.

The first test of my new Mazda6 wagon in winter conditions was this week, on a combination of unpacked snow, hard packed snow and ice during a heavy snowfall. Ice was a significant challenge, but the snow wasn't unbearable as long as I stayed on top of things. Traction was worst accelerating from a complete stop, as I really had to feather the clutch and accelerator to get going. I've never had traction assist before so I don't know if this is normal, but there seemed to be too much of a lag for it to really be useful most of the time. I really had to intentionally stomp on the accelerator and spin the tires rapidly before it would even kick in, and the delay was significant. Stopping was ok when I was careful, the ABS only kicked in a couple times. It was fairly easy to wag the tail on the hard packed snow, but the car didn't feel unstable as long as my speed was reasonably low. Traction in turns was so-so, as long as I didn't accelerate or brake excessively through them.

I'd say the Michelins were just below average overall, and the car probably would have tolerated a lot more carelessness during the drive with some higher profile snows. However, bear in mind that it's no Subaru. I doubt that my Mazda6 WITH snow tires could ever compete with my wife's Outback in winter handling, even though she still runs on the OEM all-season Bridgestones. That car tackles some of the worst road conditions with ease.

I nearly ordered snow tires on steel wheels from tirerack.com for my car, but decided to wait since brand new all-seasons aren't usually too bad in winter for the first couple years or so. I also wanted to keep my Mazda alloys nice by storing them for winter, but decided to just keep on top of the frozen brake dust this year by cleaning them frequently with warm water.

The snows I priced in the beginning of Nov. on tirerack.com were $87-$88 per tire for either Michelin X-Ice or Bridgestone Blizzak 205/60R16, plus $44 per steel wheel, and about $89 shipping from their closest warehouse (just over $600 total). You'd probably pay more than that locally. My local Mazda dealer wanted about $730 for the same package, and I don't think the tire shops would have been much cheaper.
    In all honesty, I'm sure that the OEM Michelins may be tolerable, but based on other reviews, and my firsthand experience during the first snowfall of the season, they weren't going to cut it, especially since I live in upstate NY, where we AVERAGE 150" of snow per year. I also drive 50+ miles per day, on highways, city streets, and rural roads, and since conditions can change from one minute to the next, I decided not to take any chances.

In terms of price, slickdog's estimates are pretty much on target. I picked up my tires and wheels at tirerack.com for about $650 (including shipping). Fortunately, I was able to get the LAST set of Michelin Pilot Alpins PA2's in that size. Tirerack should consider doubling their inventory for next year, because they sold out QUICK! The lowest estimate from a Tire Shop was $750 for the Blizzaks and wheels. IMHO, stick with tirerack. Not only are they much cheaper, but their customer service is second to none.

To me, snow tires are well worth the money. If snowfall is sporadic in your area, and you are very cautious when driving in it, or don't have to drive at all, then snow tires are not worth it. If snow and ice is a daily occurance in your area for 4-5 months a year, or if you travel through ever-changing conditions all the time, then don't wait any longer.

BTW, the debate of 2 versus 4 snow tires, ALWAYS use 4, no matter what you drive. I've driven all kinds of cars and trucks with both 2 and 4 snow tires, front, rear, and AWD. NOTHING beats the peace-of-mind and confidence you get from having 4 snow tires.
  • baggs32baggs32 Member Posts: 3,229
    Now that was definitely some useful information. Thanks slickdog *edit* and mz6greyghost, I needed that info.

I too got my first taste of snow driving the other day. Just a dusting on the roads with some ice in spots. All in all I was surprised at how well it handled the light snow. Definitely handled better than the '96 Civic it replaced but not as well as our Escape. If we have another winter like last year I think I'm going to have to give in and get the snows though. Snow was everywhere all the time which is actually unusual for this area. We usually see sporadic snow and as mz6grehghost said, snow tires aren't necessarily worth it in those conditions if you're careful.
    I agree, snow tires are well worth the money and definitely provide peace of mind. Besides, you can always just look at it as investing in your next set of tires, because your all-season or summer tires will last significantly longer by spending the harsh winter months in the garage.

It's funny you mention the tirerack.com inventory, because the biggest reason I didn't get the snows this year is that I wanted to order the Michelin X-Ice (I'm not a big fan of Blizzaks), and by the time I decided to do it they were out of stock and won't get more until next year! The Pilot Alpins must have been completely gone by the time I first went to the site, because I didn't even see those as an option.
    The good thing about living in Florida is that after you survive the hurricanes, you don't have to worry about snow tires.

I was flipping through the owner's manual and was surprised that I can't find any information about when (if?) to change the automatic transmission fluid. Did I just miss it?
  • ericzoomericzoom Member Posts: 213
    I hear ya. There doesn't seem to be anything listed in the manual about trans. changes,and i find that pretty weird.Judging from what i've been reading on this and other sites a good idea for change intervals is every 15 to 20k.
    I think there are manufacturers, and I'm going on recollection only, that do not recommend trans changes for 100K. But, it's strange that Mazda isn't specific. Common sense says to change it at least every 30K or three years, but on the other hand, if the unit is sealed and it's not supposed to be changed, maybe it's best just to leave it alone.
  • ericzoomericzoom Member Posts: 213
    But the thing is,the unit isn't sealed. There is a drain plug under the car for the trans.and from what i have read the Jatco auto. on the 6 seems to run on the hot side, which in turn can degrade the fluid faster.
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    Check with the dealer or write to Mazda directly. I find it hard to believe the owners manual doesn't list this kind of information in the mileage service chart. Or even go and ask your trusty mechanic if you have one. Why do unnecessary maintenance if it's not called for. I really think more homework is involved here.

Just my $.02...but I really think you need to do more research here.

The Sandman :-0
    I have sent an email to Mazda asking for a recommendation about when to change the auto trans fluid.

I'll let you know when I hear something.
  • wirwinwirwin Member Posts: 8
    I'm hoping someone with a 2004 Mazda 6 and the side/curtain airbag option can answer this for me. I am getting conflicting info from different sources.

My question is whether this option provides a 'torso bag' in the REAR seat. This would be the one that is stored in the outboard edge of the seat and deploys forward along the door at torso level. I know that there is the curtain in the rear and I know that there is both curtain and torso bag in the front.

Apparently the torso bag in the rear is now not recommended by some safety experts (including the NHTSA I think) because a child who sits or lies out of normal seating position may be injured by a deploying airbag coming out of the seat.

I want to buy a 2004 but I want to make sure about this point.
    The only airbag for the rear passengers in my '04 is the side curtain bag. Only the front seats have side "torso" bags which deploy from the seats. The owners manual makes no mention of airbags which deploy from the rear seats, so they're probably not even available.
    Just a couple of shopping days left until Christmas... avoid the holiday crush and join us for an evening of automotive chat and good cheer!

PF Flyer

Host

The MAZDA MANIA chat is on TONIGHT. Stop in for a holiday visit! Check out the schedule
  • tonyitalianotonyitaliano Member Posts: 2
    I'm Very Confused about this.

My main question is this: The Mazda 6 V6

Gets rated as being very smooth, refined, reliable and fun to drive. First of all, this car has a Ford Taurus V6 Engine in it. If the engine is so great then why do they Rate the V6

Engine in the Taurus as being unrefined, not smooth, and not so reliable ? I need an unbiased answer. I don't like FORD, I prefer the imports

but I am unbiased. I don't think all their cars are bad. SO how is the Taurus engine different in the Mazda 6 that makes it get such great reviews and the Ford Taurus Recieves bad reviews ? I mean I believe Ford should get credit in the Taurus but they don't so please tell me the difference in the Mazda 6 Taurus Duratech Engine and the Taurus Duratech V6 Engine.

Also:

#1. Is it true that the Mazda Proteges after 1995

and just Mazdas built in Japan with Ford Engines?

#2. Which Mazdas have Ford engines and Parts to this day ?
  • fowler3fowler3 Member Posts: 1,919
    The Mazda6 V6 is NOT a Taurus engine! Mazda buys the BLOCKS from Ford, but installs all it's own parts which have been better machined than the Durtech engines. It is quieter and smoother than the Duratech and should be more reliable, too.

fowler3
  • tonyitalianotonyitaliano Member Posts: 2
    Are you sure , how do u know this ?

I could have sworn it says that it's

a Modified Duratec V6 Engine.
    The Mazda 6 V6 is indeed originally a Ford design, but Mazda has made extensive modifications to the motor to better suit Mazda's needs, including Variable Valve Timing, a redesigned intake and heads, and other modifications designed to enhance performance. I've had experience with both the Duratech in the Taurus and the 6, and I can tell you firsthand that the 6 motor is DEFINITELY smoother, more refined, and more eager to rev than the Taurus motor. Mazda geared the V6 to be just that, a Mazda. It may or may not be more reliable, we shall see in the long run. But given the choice, the Mazda V6 is far superior than the Ford motor it was based on, hands down!

As far as engines are concerned, I think it's virtually impossible to find a TRUE American or Japanese car, or engine, these days. I'd try not to make a decision about a vehicle based on whether it's an American, Japanese, or German powerplant, you have to look at the sum of it's parts, and how they work together. In case of the 6, it may be a Ford motor, but it's been redesigned to be much more suited to the intentions of the 6. I personally don't like Toyota, not because of their motor design, but because their cars as a whole are not very exciting to me. If you choose to leave out the Mazda 6 (or any car, for that matter) based on the origin of their parts, then you are missing out, IMHO.
  • mazdafunmazdafun Member Posts: 2,329
    In regards to your Protege question, none of the engines are Ford designed or built. Just some engines put into Ford Escorts (derived from Protege chassis) of the same vintage. The GT version had Mazda 1.8L engines (from the ES Protege).

However, I believe the ATs in the gen 2 and gen 3 Proteges are Ford designs, if not Ford-built.
    Hope you can join us tonight for the first chat of the new year. Everything automotive is fair game, and the planning continues for our "meet up" to the Philadelphia Auto Show in Feb! Hope to see you there!

PF Flyer

Host

The MAZDA MANIA chat is on TONIGHT. Join us for the '05 season of chat! Check out the schedule
  • lmacmillmacmil Member Posts: 1,758
    Are there any significant differences to the 2005 models vs. 2004 and earlier or did they just repackage the options to come up with the "sport" and "grand touring" models?

Question 2: does the auto 6 cyl have enough low speed oomph? I'm currently driving a slightly heavier sedan with a 3.5l V6 with 230 lb-ft of torque. The only 6 I've driven was a manual but I would prefer an automatic do to my stoplight/stop sign intense commute.
  • sstrz1sstrz1 Member Posts: 28
    Question 1- no, there are no significant changes from the '04 to an '05....in short- Mazda is giving people the opportunity to "step up" to the V6 without needing to put in all the options, thus the "sport/grand touring" opts TY vs LY

Question 2- I traded in my '01 Saab for my Mazda 6 5-door..and yes- quite often in automatic I do miss the lack of "oomp" vs the Saab....that said, I knew this prior to purchasing my car (a 2004 I bought in November)...but when I need the "oomph," I throw my car into "manual" shift mode- and then do get the "oomph" that I need (but it doesn't get the "oomph" until I reach 4000 RPM)....PLEASE NOTE THAT THE '05's NOW OFFER A 6 SPEED TRANNY, WHICH WILL GET YOU THE "OOMPH" AT A LOWER RPM.

In summary- unless you are 17 yrs old and live to race folks off the line at red lights, I wouldn't concern myself about the "oomph" thing...I drive approx 30k annually, and do get frustrated with slow moving traffic- I just simply "pop" my auto into manual when nec, and blow folks away by "popping" my car into 4th gear when doing 80 MPH on the NJ Turnpike....

Steven
  • cards_200cards_200 Member Posts: 44
    05s - ABS is now standard across the board. I believe new 6spd auto transmission available for V6s.
  • lmacmillmacmil Member Posts: 1,758
    Thanks, gentlemen. I knew the 6sp auto was new, just forgot that in my post. Good info on the manual shift auto feature. Haven't not tested an automatic yet, I'll have to check that out.

What I'd really like to see is a stability control option. Camry has it but Accord, Altima, and M6 do not. I agree with the car mags that ESC is probably the most important safety advance in 50 years.
  • gaetsgaets Member Posts: 1
    I have just ordered a Mazda6 GS V6 with GFX package. I picked Glacier White exterior in color and it seems like I have to wait 2 months to get it. What scares me is the concern about the V6-engine being a FORD. I don't want to put the FORD manufacture down but I am not confident in their products knowing alot of friends who have them. Not one has told me any good things. I should be getting my new MAZDA6 by March 2005. Q= Why is it so rare to get white and why does it take so long to get it??? I am worried about the engine being a FORD but I have been ensured that its only the BLOCK and the rest are all MAZDA parts. The V6 is mated to a standard 5-speed manual or an optional new 5-speed automatic transmission with manual 'Sport' shifting mode. Mazda's V6 engine is a modified version of Ford's Duratec powerplant. Q= Is that true ???? I have test driven both 4cyl and 6cyl 5 speed and its true about the 6cly. It is more smooth and less noisy compared with the 4cyl. I am also concerned about consumption being a Montreal Driver. Q= Will it cost me alot more???
    I'm not a fan of Ford either, but it seems to me that their influence on Mazda is limited enough that a Mazda6 does not look or feel at all like a Ford and that's good enough for me.

As for the Duratec, yes the Mazda 3.0 is based on it but modified significantly. If you have ever driven a Taurus equipped with a 3.0 Duratec, you would know that the two engines sound and feel completely different. Besides, the Ford Duratec really seems to have a decent reputation anyway.
    gaets:

Check my post 17160. I hope it answers your V6 question. As I stated in that post, the motors from Ford and Mazda are night and day, with Mazda's V6 being the much better choice. I have the V6 with 5-speed manual, and I LOVE revving up that motor! What a rush! The Duratec in general is a good engine, and many auto testers give it good marks in terms of durability and reliability. With Mazda's tuning in a great-handling car, it rocks!

The V6 and 5-spd manual for your 6 is a great choice. Enjoy it.