Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda6 Sedan

Comments

• mazda6smazda6s Member Posts: 1,901
    Well, that's close. I was thinking more in terms of spotting a production 06 on a truck or at a dealer. How about a silver star?

What did you think of the new console color? Did you notice any difference in the front seats, other than the new cloth material? I hope they didn't make them wider to fit all the overweight people in the US.
  • bluem6ibluem6i Member Posts: 77
    I just bought my 2nd MAZDA6i. We bought my wife a blue 6i in 2003 and I just got myself a Sepang Green 6i on Friday. My 17 y/o daughter gets my 2002 Protege. I looked for a used Protege for her, but in the end, I couldn't pass up the deal on the new 6i. At $15,461 (with the ATX), it was less than I paid for the Protege in 2002!!!

We are now a 3 zoom family.
  • skibry1skibry1 Member Posts: 174
    Our DoubleOught 626 is "Freeport" green...I call it Dark!?! As for yours bluem6i,
    It's named after a race track in Malaysia...does Crayola know about these names
    and will the grade school kids of today be able to trade in the 64 pack for the new
    larger variety? I never needed a book bag...my 8 pack would fit in my back pocket!
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    well I must confess that I didn't look very close at the details...The new Miata got all of my attention....but they should start shipping the 2006 MZ6 almost anytime. My first ones are expected here by the end of the month.
    Checked my local dealer yesterday - nothing yet. However, they are a VW dealer too, and had a couple of 06 Passats and a bright red 06 Jetta GLI 2.0T with DSG.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Hope that everyone's been having a great summer! Now that we're getting past all that summer driving (1200 miles on this years vacation...LOL) it's time to get back into the swing of chat. Stop in to say Hello!

PF Flyer
    Host
    News & Views, Wagons, & Hybrid Vehicles

The Mazda Mania Chat is on tonight. The chat room opens at 8:45PM ET Hope to see YOU there! Check out the schedule
  • gussguss Member Posts: 1,167
    Is every Mazda dealer also a VW dealer? I can think of three in my area that are that combination. Kind of strange.

I always thought of Mazda as the Japanese BMW.
    Is every Mazda dealer also a VW dealer? I can think of three in my area that are that combination. Kind of strange.

Not in Longwood, FL (near Orlando). They are Mazda only.
  • soningsoning Member Posts: 5
    how do I make the dash and console lights brighter they are very dimm at nite the ones by the a/c controls are so dimm you can hardley see them can som body help thanks
    There is a little wheel-like adjustment on the lower left side of the dash. Roll it all the way up to make it brighter. It clicks in at the maximum setting.
  • soningsoning Member Posts: 5
    the wheel is all the way up .and their is no buttun on cluster panel so what can i do? no lights are burnt out just dull maybe a ground problem but where to look
  • atsang1atsang1 Member Posts: 15
    Does any one know if Mazda is going to add MP3 compatiblity on the Option Bose system for 06 models?
  • pats1pats1 Member Posts: 36
    Mazda and VW are not connected. Mazda and Ford are. It is a coincidence that they sell both at your local dealers. We have one dealer like that (Mazda and VW) in my area, but the others are not. VW is moving toward single line (exclusively VW) dealers - their "marketplace" concept.
  • pats1pats1 Member Posts: 36
    There will be some minor cosmetic (tail lights bezels, etc.) and feature changes for '06, according to the info sheet I saw on a salesman's desk the other day. The V-6 drops to 215 HP and there is a new 5-speed auto. The console will be black instead of silver. Not enough to make me wish I'd passed up the deal I got and wait for an '06. I'm sure the price will be higher.
  • mazda6iguymazda6iguy Member Posts: 365
    We have a Mazda / VW / Chrysler / Jeep / Dodge / Porsche / Mercedes / Volvo / Jaguar / UD trucks dealership (under 2 roofs, but at same address. Mazda, VW, Chrysler, Jeep, Dodge, under 1 roof, and Mercedes, Porsche, Jaguar, Volvo under the other.
  • maxamillion1maxamillion1 Member Posts: 1,467
    have a Mazda/VW dealership in Spartanburg, but they moved the Mazda group across town with the Lincoln/Mercury group.
  • ddm1ddm1 Member Posts: 2
    How was the gas milage on the 2003 and do you notice much difference in the 2005? I just reached the 5000 mile mark on my 05 6i auto and got 29mpg at 70mph with cruise, air on carrying 4 adults, four sets of clubs, luggage and strong headwind both ways on 500 mile trip. engine is 2.3
    How was the gas milage on the 2003 and do you notice much difference in the 2005? I just reached the 5000 mile mark on my 05 6i auto and got 29mpg at 70mph with cruise, air on carrying 4 adults, four sets of clubs, luggage and strong headwind both ways on 500 mile trip. engine is 2.3

The 2003 6i ATX is averaging 25 - 27 in local driving at 35K miles (27 mpg on last night's filliup). The 2005 6i ATX got 26 mpg on the first fillup, I am on the 2nd tank right now. MPG will probably be lower on this tank as I am working the motor a little harder to assist with the break in.
  • mdaffronmdaffron Member Posts: 4,421
    (Kinda off-topic, kinda not since it concerns the direction Mazda is going with the 3 as well ... )

EIGHTEEN-INCH wheels on the 2006 Mazda6s???!!!

Where is Mazda going with this wheel-size fetish? Case in point:

My 1992 Protege alloys: 14-inch.
    My 2000 Protege alloys: 15-inch.
    My wife's 2002 Protege alloys: 16-inch.
    My 2005 Mazda3 alloys: 17-inch.

Soon we'll have to tear out the upper sides of our fenders to house the giant four-foot-diameter tires spinning around BESIDE our cars, and we'll need mudflaps on our hoods! (Oh, and LOTSA extra money in our bank accounts to afford the $400 tires that will fit these monstrous wheels.)

Meade
  • fitguyfitguy Member Posts: 220
    "VW is moving toward single line (exclusively VW) dealers - their "marketplace" concept"
    And maybe then they can concentrate on building cars that aren't trouble-prone, and finding some service personell that take customer service seriously.
    (I can never resist the temptation to let people know what a lousy car and ownership experience my VW was). So far, Mazda is just blowing them away- and VW is moving pricing up on the Passat to make it more "upscale"! ? Yow! :confuse:
  • newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
    I just got 32 mpg in my 2003 6i MTX with 24,000 miles on a trip last weekend. I had 3 adults, including myself and was going anywhere between 70 and 85 mph, with a few 3rd gear redline passing manuevers. AC was on during the southern portions of the trip. It was a 360 mile round trip, up to Itasca from the Twin Cities.
    EIGHTEEN-INCH wheels on the 2006 Mazda6s???!!!

Where is Mazda going with this wheel-size fetish? Case in point:

My 1992 Protege alloys: 14-inch.
    My 2000 Protege alloys: 15-inch.
    My wife's 2002 Protege alloys: 16-inch.
    My 2005 Mazda3 alloys: 17-inch.

Per the MAZDA 6 Tech website, larger wheels and tires cause a big increase in unsprung weight which dramatically reduces the performance of the car. Most owners who auto-cross their cars, down size their wheels to 16" to improve handling and acceleration.
    The weight of the wheel depends on the design and material as well. A larger wheel doesn't always mean it's heavier.
    Also, the 18 inchers are optional on the Mazda6.
  • mz6greyghostmz6greyghost Member Posts: 1,230
    Also, the 18 inchers are optional on the Mazda6.

Optional, yes, but probably standard on the sport and grand sport packages, which the majority of the performance-oriented drivers buy.

IMO, 18" wheels are OVERKILL on this car. There are plenty of 17" wheel/tire combos that fit the bill, in terms of looks, ride quality, and handling. I highly doubt the OEM 18" wheel will be lighter than the current OEM 17" wheels, let alone aftermarket wheels.

Unfortunately, it's the LOOK that Mazda has to achieve, not core perfromance. They see and hear the 6's with 18" or 19" wheels, and even a few 20" cars are out there (although it's not safe or healthy to a car's suspension in any way, shape or form.) They figure that 18" will look good. They forget about the increased weight, rolling resistance, lower resistance to pothole damage, and the (lack of) ride quality or comfort. Kiss your fuel economy numbers goodbye. Not to mention the limited tire sizes they can use, and the expense it costs to replace them! :mad:

Somebody at Mazda needs to be held down while being slapped repeatedly on the back of the head! NOBODY that autocrosses will use 18" wheels, and as stated before, they use 16" or even 15" wheels. 17" wheels are the biggest they need to be, and I'll INSIST that they replace the 18" pizzapans with them before I'll sign a purchase order.

Save the 18" wheels for the upcoming CX-7, and instead inject another 20-30 HP in EACH of the engines, as well as a 6-speed stick. You'd attract more possible sales, rather than the "bling-bling" crowd.
    "Optional, yes, but probably standard on the sport and grand sport packages, which the majority of the performance-oriented drivers buy. "

No, the 18 inchers are only standard on the '06 Mazda6 s Grand Sport and Grand Touring (AT only) trim levels, so you only get them if you get the s model with leather. Do autocrossers like leather seats? Probably not.

Since I hate leather seats (don't get me started) this is fine with me. :P
  • allfiredupallfiredup Member Posts: 736
    Hi everyone,

I'm planning to buy a new car in the next week or so and have narrowed my choices to the Mazda3 and Mazda6. I prefer the interior room and overall design of the 6, but the 3 has (at least thus far) been more in my price range (at or under $20k).

I've test driven the 3 s 4-door with both manual and automatic transmission. I've also tested the 6 s 4-door with both transmissions. I haven't had driven a 6 i yet, but I've found one at a dealer in the color I like (Lapis Blue with black cloth) with Bose/Moonroof package and 5-speed manual. The car is 150 miles away, so it will be this weekend before I can go look at/test drive it.

My question is this- does the 2.3L have adequate power for this car when mated to the manual transmission? I found this combo very acceptable in the 3 s, but the 6 is a bigger car.

Any input?
  • sevenseassevenseas Member Posts: 44
    I drove a Mazda6i for 1 day as a rental while my Mazda6s was having some warranty work done. Automatic transmission. Mazda6i was more responsive and tossable (suspect lighter engine and better tranny to engine match) around town but I noticed a loss of power around 40-50 mph that I didnt like. I suspect the manual would be fine for you. And I believe you will appreciate the extra room the interior space the Mazda6 provides over the Mazda3.

On a different note my Mazda6s was involved in an accident three days ago. I was broadsided by a driver who went through a red light (have two witnesses to back me up). My car has damage from the front bumper along the drivers side. Looks awful. The Mazda6 did a good job protecting me although I did sustain injuries to my shoulder, neck, and left hand side torso.

Not sure about California laws regarding "diminished value" (difference in price between pre-accident condition and value of car after car repaired) but if the other party's insurance carrier decides to repair the car I will request compensation for diminished value. If they refuse I will take them to small claims court. From what I've read you have a better chance winning if the accident was the other drivers fault.
    My question is this- does the 2.3L have adequate power for this car when mated to the manual transmission?

In a word, yes! Power from the 4-cyl is more than adequate for the 6, expecially with the 5-speed manual. Power losses through the manual transmission is a fraction of what they are in the automatics. As a result, the 6i 5-speed is no slouch, and it feels (and has) more rear-wheel HP than many other 4-cyls (and a few V6's as well) saddled with a slushbox.

For my money, get the bigger car.

As far as price, a 6i 5-speed with a few options can easily be had for less than $20K with rebates, and a little bargaining. Check out edmunds.com for pricing information, then work from there. Remember, a smart shopper NEVER pays sticker for a car.

Good luck, and enjoy the 6! :)
    I have 2 Mazda6i's (both with ATX) and the power is excellent. The ATX improves (as does the motor) as you get more miles on it. You can always use the manu-matic mode if you want. The A/C is excellent in the 6 (and we live in FL - very hot & humid). I have read that some are complaining about the A/C in the 3.

Lastly, I bought my 2005 6i ATX for $15, 400 (before the $699 dealer fee). I got the $2000 "employee" discount and the $1000 MAC financing discount. That's less than I paid for my 2002 Protege 3 years ago.
  • ddm1ddm1 Member Posts: 2
    Just passed the 5000 mile mark, not one defect yet. Car is gold ash with 17 inch wheel pkg. Got 29.1 u.s. gal or 35 cdn imperial gal on trip last week with four adults, 4 sets of golf clubs plus luggage,cruise set at 70 mph, air on and strong headwind. Car is very quiet even with 50 series tires. Looks so much better than accord or camry. Manual shift feature on the atx is so good especially for third gear passes on highway. Plenty of power for passing on the highway especially when in the 4000 rpm range. The beige interior and black dash is a perfect match for the gold ash exterior.
  • yellow6gtyellow6gt Member Posts: 1
    I've got a pretty good question for all of you guys...Even the dealer and service don't know how to !! When you look closely on the display that is above the central air vents right above the clock, there are options that are available for example fuel consuption/100km etc. Does anyone of you know how to make these things work ? My car is an '04 model GT V6 engine with the GFX package.
  • gmcjoegmcjoe Member Posts: 11
    Those things don't work on the US spec Mazda6. The trip computer features (current and average fuel consumption, distance to empty and average vehicle speed) are available on the Mazda6 in other countries though. I'm pretty sure Australia is one of those places. The same display is used in all countries. We get the V6, while other countries get stuff like high pressure washers for the HIDs. I don't think they even work on the refreshed 2006. Go figure.
  • hboydhboyd Member Posts: 98
    Okay... so... are the complete NA MY06 specs/options/prices available yet anywhere in this country? I thought there was a PDF released on the '05s (all variants) last year about the same time. :confuse:
  • akumazakumaz Member Posts: 65
    From what I've heard on several sites, the 2006 models are now trickling into dealerships. I was wondering if anyone's seen or sat in one. I'm curious about the cloth quality and texture, as I would prefer to buy cloth over leather (unless it's similar quality as the 2003-2005 models). Any reports?
  • carguy58carguy58 Member Posts: 2,303
    Well CR does like the Mazda 6 but they said the engine is fuel thisty(V6) but the ride is compliant and firm. I think they said the engine wasn't as good as the Accord or Camry's engine. Obviously the 6 was hurt but the fuel recall in 03 and the rust issue which goes under paint/rust/trim in CR's reviews. There was issues with brakes as well in the 03 model year for the 6. Body Integrity was rated the same as 03 Accord(4cyl) and Camry(02).I think CR is a good thing for reliability data. I mean the 98-02 626 was rated above averge reliability mostly except for model year 99 when it was rated average reliability. I had a 98 626 for 3 years and the brakes were starting to go after 3 years. I had no issues with the tranny or engine though. I noticed little rattles but not nothing to really irratate me. I also had water on the carpet oby the front seat. I think the a/c unit went Kabloooee. However that was a quick fix. I also needed a new battery 2 years after I purchased the car.
  • carguy58carguy58 Member Posts: 2,303
    Sorry body integrity issues for the 03 6 was rated the same as 02 Camry and Accord(6cyl) not Accord(4cyl) like I said before a white circle meaning average for that trouble spot.

To go further into it I am looking at CR's chart right now for the and the 03 6 was rated worse than the average 03 model because it was under average in 4 troble spot categories: "Cooling" which is a problem is extra weighted in CR's reliability charts. The average model had a excellent reliability in "Cooling" for the 03 model year where as the 03 06 only had a better than average rating in "Cooling". Excellent Reliability gets a bullseye in CR's ratings where as better than average gets a red spot on the top and a white spot on the bottom in a single circle. Paint/Rust/Trim was another trouble spot category where the 6 lagged behind again. The average 03 model had a bullseye(excellent reliability) for Pain/Rust/Trim. The 6 again got a better than average rating(red on top white on the bottom circle)in the Paint/Rust/Trim Category. The 03 6 lagged behind again with issues with the fuel system. The 03 average model had a bullseye(excellent reliability) where as the 6 had a white circle(average reliability) for the fuel system. "Brakes" was another trouble spot where the 6 again was behind the average 03 model in reliability. The average 03 model had a better than average reliablity rating(red on top white on the bottom circle.) The 6 for "brakes" only had a white circle for average reliability. For 04 CR only surveyed cars in up till March 31,2004). However the 04 6 had a worse reliability rating than the average 04 reliability for the trouble spot(electrical system.) The average 04 model got a bullseye(excellent reliability) for electrical where as the 6 only got a better than average reliability. Remember CR puts extra weight for reliability on Electrical systems in cars. Also the 6 had worse reliability alot than the 04 model in "body Hardware". The average model got an excellent reliability rating where as the 6 only got a better than average reliability rating.

In conlusion its is not a terrible car reliability wise it just lags a little behind other cars in reliability for the 03 model year. Its still got a big X for below average reliability on CRs charts and was put on the used cars to avoid list for both model years 03 and 04. In my opinion CR shouldn't have not put the 04 6 on the "used cars to avoid list" however. They only surveyed cars up to March 31,2004. I mean there was still 5 months to go in the 04 model year after March 31,2004.

CR does it like this:

Excellent Reliabity: Problem rates: 2.0% or less.
    Better Than Average Reliability: Problem Rates: 2.0% to 5.0%
    Average Reliability: Problem rates: 5.0 to 9.0%
    Below Average reliability: Problem Rates: 9.3% to 14.8%
    Much worse than average reliability: problem rates: More than 14.8%.
  • deluxedeluxe Member Posts: 29
    I was actually loooking at new 06 Accords, and there was 1 single 2006 mazda6 standing in the corner of the lot(Mazda/Honda/Cadillac/Buick dealership,lol). I wouldnt even notice but i noticed that taillights looked darker, so I walked over and checked it out.
    Looks nicer then the outgoing model, esp. the front, much more agressive with honeycomb grille insert(is it the same as mazdaspeed m6?), nicer dark interior(i never liked"titanium" look), and different wheels. Dont know if it going to be worth the price difference( they had loaded '05s for 22k ), but all in all I liked it better then "old" model.
  • kyleknickskyleknicks Member Posts: 433
    did you guys know that the mazda dealerships take ford's family pricing incentives?? i haven't seen anyone mentioning this on here...
    Not here they don't.

Just at the local Mazda dealer yesterday, and they, along with other dealers in the area, are NOT offering the family pricing that Ford offers.

It's a scam anyway. If you do a little research and haggle with the dealer, you can often times BEAT the family plan pricing. I bought my 6 way before the incentives became popular, and not including rebates or trade-in, I paid $800 less than employee pricing.

The incentive is there basically to draw crowds into showrooms and buy a car without worrying about haggling, or getting hosed by the deal. Sure, it works, but if a dealer offers it, the haggling after the discount is all but eliminated. Not worth it to me...
    This guy is posting all over the wrong info....

You are correct that it's a local dealer gimmick and not mazda corp...I love watching marketing in action. ;)
    I felt I needed to post because I'm getting sick of hearing that the "employee pricing" is the ONLY way to get a good deal on a car, when in fact one can do BETTER when doing his/her research and haggling for a fair price.

Is that wrong? :confuse:
    My local dealer just took delivery of an '06 6S sedan this past week, and I took a look last evening after the dealer closed.

First of all... Have you ever seen a 6 with a price tag OVER $31K? I just have...

The car was a 6S Grand Touring model with auto and a ton of add-ons. Black cherry with tan leather. The 18" wheels, as I thought, are ugly in person as well. Tires were Pirelli P Zero Neros, though, A DEFINITE step up from the Pilots. My wife, who hasn't seen an '06 pic yet, likes the wheels and the blacked-out light treatment, as well as the color. I liked the grille, but the foglights underneath the bumper jutted out so much that they look aftermarket, and cheap aftermarket at that. Proportions overall looked okay.

We couldn't open the doors or sit inside (obviously), but from what we both saw, my wife and I both think the new dash looks too busy with the redesigned console and nav controls. Too many buttons! Everything else looked pretty much the same.

That's it. Take it as you will...
    I don't think your wrong....but a better price may depend on the make/model. Some vehicles have never been priced anywhere near the employee price and no amount of haggling would get there....OTOH, some vehicles were priced less before employee pricing...so it all depends on the carline.

The MZ6 is pretty much a volume product so decent deals can be had if the consumer follows your advice and does a little homework....Step one of the homework is to find a quality retailer... This can make or break the whole process.
    Did it have cloth or leather interior? How was the quality?

My local dealership called me saying that they received a 2006 model. I'll check it out in the next 2 days and report back.
  • redc0ugarredc0ugar Member Posts: 55
    If anyone would like my employee discount, I'd be honored to help. I work in the "Body Shop" at AAI, installing the fenders on the 6 and I do metal finish. I can supply a "pin number" for the Mazda or any Ford vehicle.
    Tan leather interior.

Looked to be decent quality. I wasn't able to get into the car, since the dealer was closed, but the quality looked slightly better than the '03-'05 model seats. The interior plastics looked pretty good as well.
    That would be awesome! I'm going to check it out tonight. Depending on if I take a test drive and am impressed, I might pull the trigger in the next few weeks.

Is there any fear of the 1st year problems, considering that this is a freshening of a current model? Just curious.
    My local dealer in Chandler, AZ got their first 2006 Mazda6 in, and I went by to check it out. It was a 6s sport model sedan in glacier silver and black interior.

Most of the other MZ6 boards have been up in arms about the outside revisions. The sport grill slats were wider than the previous grill, with less empty area. The lower grill now resembles the squared-off MZ3 chin, as did the circular fog lights--now popping out of their compartment. The side sills do not flare out on the bottom as on the last edition. The blackened taillights--clear with a black backing--were very sharp and are worth swapping out on the old models. The exterior does look less aggressive than the last versions, but I liked the additions (aside from the grill).

The interior was similar to the outgoing 6, with a few anticipated additions. The center unit is no longer a single silver faceplate, now covered in flat and piano-finished black. The volume and search knobs are smaller and protrude out more. The quality was a leap ahead in my opinion.

The cloth was another story. In contrast with the corduroy/mouse fur of old, this was almost the lesser of two evils. The side bolsters, surrounding covering and headrest were solid black. The inner cushion was a checkerboard pattern (as was the door inserts). This material was less like cloth and more like the non-leather gym shoes at Payless Shoe Stores (slightly smooth, but with a little grip). It has the potential to show dirt easily (even in the back lot, there was some surface dirt) and the longevity is questionable--though probably better than the fraying of old. The Mazda 3 cloth is still leagues better, which was disappointing.

I didn't get to drive it or check out the engine (which is the same, but with revised hp/torque numbers), but I'll do that in a few weeks when a 6i comes in. Overall, the 6 is still a looker--perhaps softer on the eyes, but still sharper than a Camry or Accord. Unfortunately, the cloth versus leather argument is no contest: leather all the way.
    I forgot one other feature. The car was equipped with the 17" wheels that were on the 2003-2005 models. This was surprising, as there were pictures of a new 17" wheel design floating around.
    The car was equipped with the 17" wheels that were on the 2003-2005 models. This was surprising, as there were pictures of a new 17" wheel design floating around.

I think the new style wheels were only the 18" wheels. I've heard the only 17" style they've got is the current '03-'05 style, which are a zillion times better looking, as well as much more practical...

Interesting observation about the cloth interior. I wonder why they just don't spend a few more bucks and get a better-quality cloth for the seats. I'd gladly pay an extra $50 to get better material than what they're peddling now. I'd stick with the leather...