Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda6 Sedan

Comments

• mz6greyghostmz6greyghost Member Posts: 1,230
    No. You did the right thing.

Geez, I wouldn't have been satisfied with $20K, and wouldn't budge over $19.5 AT ALL. It's an '06, which they're trying to clear out anyway, and there's NO WAY they're "losing money" on a car that's $800 above invoice, no matter how long it sat on their lot.

I'd find a different dealer.
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    So I'm pretty confident that your netting around $1000 on this sale. I'm willing to come up to $19,999 but that's my ceiling." He said "No way", so we walked.

No dealer is letting somebody walk on a 2006 Mazda6 with a $1000 profit. so something is wrong with your numbers. Did you include the regional ad fee that mazda charges its dealers? Did you try another dealer?
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    Dealer in my state has 2006 models at about $5500 off of MSRP, but look to only have the V6 left. Cheapest one is listed on the internet with MSRP $24,520 and sale price $18,998.

In the 2007 model, the second highest priced 4 cyl they have listed with MSRP of $21,310, sale price of $19,598...not sure how comrable this is to the 2006 you are looking at.
  • dellsucksdellsucks Member Posts: 5
    No dealer is letting somebody walk on a 2006 Mazda6 with a $1000 profit. so something is wrong with your numbers. Did you include the regional ad fee that mazda charges its dealers? Did you try another dealer?

I got my figures from Edmunds here, and they were collaborated by KBB.com and cars.com, so if they're wrong, then all 3 sites have bad data. The difference between the dealer invoice price and the MSRP is almost $2000 as listed here on Edmunds. This same dealer's newspaper ad has a 2006 Sport model with "$5500 off list price!" so it's pretty safe to say a difference between invoice and MSRP of $2K sounds about right.

We'll be visitng another dealer tonight. She saw an ad from another dealer that was listing a 2007 base 6i sedan for $18,900.
    Which model was this for? The i Sport or Grand i Sport or which model?

The base 6i model, plain 4 door sedan. I guess that's the i Sport. They said that they had only 3 left on the lot, which is interesting since 2 days earlier they had 8. I walked the lot on Sunday afternoon and wrote down VINs for only the 4 door sedans with 4 cylinder engines. I find it a little hard to believe that they sold 5 of them in under 48 hours.

The 3 remaining are: Pebble Ash, White, and Glacier Silver, with the GC being the most expensive and the one my wife preferred, so that's the one listed in my original post.
    Last week I posted the sticker on a 2006 Mazda6 4 cylinder that my wife and I looked at. Saturday we went to another local dealer, who had one on the lot that didn't show up on their inventory screen on the Internet. This one had:

base price: 19,110
    convenience package:
    - perimeter alarm
    - 17" alloy wheels w/ 215/50R17 tires
    - 8 way power driver's seat 1,000
    auto trans: 900
    side curtain air bags: 500
    wheel locks: 40
    cargo net: 40
    delivery charge: 560
    ----------
    MSRP: 22,150

This was $600 less than the previous dealer and, amazingly enough, this dealer didn't have a dealer addedoptions sticker on the car either.

The color wasn't a preferred one, but it was acceptable to the wife. Again, using the TMV numbers Edmunds, we haggled back and forth until the sales manager and I reached an agreement. The OTD price was $19,800, which included 2 extra keys and fobs, and for them to install the factory in-dash cassette player.

I think I did OK.
  • voicemailkingvoicemailking Member Posts: 83
    am looking for a used 2005 mazda 6 i 4cylinder automatic.A local dealer here in Florida, had one on the internet. It has 25,000, has ABS, (i have seen some do not), all the regular standard stuff, wheel covers no wheels and no spoiler...We went back and forth all afternoon, and i wanted total price with whatever fees, taxes and tag transfer as i have no trade, and i have my own financing all done. He gave me a out the door with everything for $16,668.23. Does that seem to go with the market, anyone thin i can do a bit better? I also ran a carfax, it was clean, it was owned and seemed to be leased,as commercial, not the regular rental car as others have come back...i have an appointment tomorrow (Tuesday), at 4:15 pm.....Any feedback will be appreciated
  • skibry1skibry1 Member Posts: 174
    Price seems ok but the ought five does NOT have
    telescoping steering wheel which may not be a
    deal breaker for you...but is for me. Good Luck
    ...but the ought five does NOT have
    telescoping steering wheel which may not be a
    deal breaker for you...but is for me.

Since when?

IIRC, EVERY Mazda 6 sold in the US since it's introduction in '03 has had a tilt and telescoping steering wheel. My '04 has one, a '06 I recently rented had one, and it's still standard equipment on the website. I highly doubt they dropped the feature for one year.

As for the deal, if that price included EVERYTHING, it's not too bad. If you like it, take it.
  • lweisslweiss Member Posts: 342
    I am also interested in the Mazda6 4 cylinder automatic- not the hatchback. The question- are the 2007 models very different from the 2006 models? Car and Driver (October edition) says no change. I know that the Mazda6 is due for a major restyle for 2008 but I need something in the next 60 days. So far the closeout 2006's around here are going for still about $20K and the colors are a little odd for my taste- that bright blue and that red. Plus I may only save $2-$3K on a closeout at this point.

Comments?
    The question- are the 2007 models very different from the 2006 models?

No. Basically just detail, option package, and color adjustments for '07. Nothing that makes it stand out from a '06 model.
    As indicated above, no substantive changes. There are pricing changes as well as packaging changes. Depending on what you want on the car 2006 or 2007 may be preferable. Seems to be pretty slim pickings now for 2006 4 cylinders, though.

Just as one example, there is a new "sport value edition" which is only about $500 above the 2007 base model. In the 4 cyl sedan, I think this has everything that this year's "sport" package does, except fog lights and wing. Since I prefer to be wingless, don't really care about fogs, do not want any additional options, but like the dark tail lights, I prefer the 2007 packaging.
    So far the closeout 2006's around here are going for still about $20K and the colors are a little odd for my taste- that bright blue and that red. Plus I may only save $2-$3K on a closeout at this point.

Better hurry, then. Most dealers only have a few 2006 cars sitting on their lots, and the $2500 Mazda-to-customer rebate ends October 2nd. I didn't get my preferred color, since they sold it a few days previously, but I got a price that satisfied me.
    Your correct about the option packages but they also added a new model that looks like a big winner. Its a very popular package with the Milan/fusion and we couldn't compete with it for 2006...Also, the new 2007 value edition also is a better deal than the base MZ6 with the conv. pkg for 2006.

I think the best value for 2007 is the new Mazda6i touring. you get auto, heated leather, bose/moonroof pkg for a 23K msrp.
  • redsfan1redsfan1 Member Posts: 58
    I am still having a hard time deciding on the two. I am just worried mainly about engine noise and get up and do with the 4 vs 6. Plus the 4 would save me a lot on gas. What do you guys think for an automatic 2006 mazda? Also, what do you think about engine noise with the two if you have test drove both? What is your gas mileage like with the 6 if you have it? thanks, I know I want this car. I just need to make a decision fast on engine!!!!!!!!! thanks!the 06's are leaving the lot fast.
  • voicemailkingvoicemailking Member Posts: 83
    We got the Mazda 6 tonight...Was very pleasantly surprised, after re-discussing price and mildly negotiating, i was able to leave with an 05 Mazda 6 4 cylinder automatic for $16,150.00 It included a bit more for tags, (included inthe $16,150) so i should be receiving a bit of a refund. We got there at 5:45 pm, and we were on our way home at 7:45 pm...Dealing with the internet is the only way to go. Car has 23,200 miles and was VERY clean.......As of right now am very happy!!!!!! The 4 cylinder is peppy enough, and the engine is less noisy then i expected...I would have gotton the 6 cylinder, but my 18 year old son will be driving it mostly and the 6 cylinder grestly increases his insurance...Just my opinions!!

:surprise: :surprise:
    Have been looking to replace our DoubleOught 626(only tilt)
    and have test drove several 6s since inception.I'm a long
    waisted guy who prefers to have feet flat on floor UNDER
    the steering wheel whilst in cruise mode. ONLY the '06 6
    was accomidating. The Fusion/Milan also have Tele but not
    the same right foot space. The 6 has more than ample space
    in this area...too bad Ford...just lost a potential buyer.
    First of all, I know exactly what the difference is between tilt (up/down) and telescope (away from you/toward you) is. Secondly, I don't think you've even sat in a pre-'06 model, since the steering wheel has tilted and telescoped SINCE DAY ONE. Proof? When my wife drives my car, she moves the wheel up and TOWARD HERSELF to better fit her arms. When I get in afterward, I have to tilt the wheel down and PUSH IT AWAY from me, to better suit my longer arms.

I'm a long waisted guy who prefers to have feet flat on floor UNDER the steering wheel whilst in cruise mode. ONLY the '06 6 was accomidating.

Then it may be the seat itself, which was revised for '06, because the steering column has been the same since day one as well.
    I am also not sure about the ford engine in the 6. Is it really a ford/mazda engine and the 4 is only a mazda engine? just wondering.
    After scoping out features of '03+'04 6's @ edmunds...
    they list tilt/tele?!? I test drove one from each year
    and the lever for adjustment was meager like the 626...
    so I just assumed it didn't tele.Then I played in an
    '06 with a much more sturdy lever,when depressed the wheel
    came up! I've got to pay better attention next time!!!
    I am also not sure about the ford engine in the 6. Is it really a ford/mazda engine and the 4 is only a mazda engine?

The Duratec V6 is essentially a Ford engine, but Mazda made a few changes, notably different cylinder heads and variable valve timing. Actually, the V6 has some development from both Cosworth and Porsche, and the motor had been used in the Contour, Probe and Taurus, with minimal problems. In fact, a lot of 6 owners with V6 are former Contour and Probe owners, and still love the engine.

The 4-cyl is essentially a Mazda engine, but Ford is using it in their Fusion/Milan models as well.
  • ericzoomericzoom Member Posts: 213
    I think the 3.0 is also in the Lincoln LS.
  • stlgasmanstlgasman Member Posts: 141
    Does anybody know of any side impact crash testing for the 6 with side curtain airbags?
    There was a european test. IIRC, this uses a lower impact height than IIHS does, but higher than the US gov't test.

http://www.euroncap.com/content/safety_ratings/ratings.php?id1=3
    What is the gas mileage on your Mazda 6 cylinder? Please let me know if you have a 4 or 6 cylinder and the gas mileage. I am really looking for people who have 6 cylinders and their gas mileage.

Thanks!!
  • maddy888maddy888 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought the 2006 Mazda 6 6 cylinder about a month ago..so far my gas mileage for city is 18 mpg...
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    This discussion may be helpful: Mazda6: MPG-Real World Numbers.
  • damianinpadamianinpa Member Posts: 22
    Do any of the Mazda 6's (USA) have trip computers? I am looking at a Mazda 3 and a Mazda 6. I see the Mazda 3 S Grand Touring has the trip computer, but, I can't find it listed on any line of the Mazda 6's.
    Thanks,
    Damian
  • mcdermott2mcdermott2 Member Posts: 68
    I am searching for a 2005 mazda6 manual. It is somewhat difficult to find in the northeast. Has anyone come across one.
    did you try autotrader?
  • bobzoombobzoom Member Posts: 3
    My 2006 Mazda6 Grand Sport Sedan has an A and a B Trip computers, along with the odometer.
  • roberteyewhyroberteyewhy Member Posts: 3
    Hello everyone! Need some assistance please.

I am purchasing a brand New 2006 MAZADA6 s Sport 4dr Sedan 3.0L 6cly w/6 speeed Auto and Rear Wing Spoiler. I have been offered $21,000 OTD but, must finance through Mazada dealership in Honolulu, HI. I have been told by them that I can finance the minimum of $5,000 for 3 months at 10% and pay the rest in cash which includes $3,000 on Credit Card. I have offered $21,500 OTD and I will pay in full. I have all the money needed in cash.

When you do the math on the financing, I will pay $1,694.52 per month with a total amount to $5,083.56. That means I pay only $83 on interest for a total of $21,083 OTD car price. Why would the dealership not just take the $21,500 OTD price? Where is the catch?

Thank you,
    Robert

I think I see why but, correct me if I am wrong. By financing through the Dealership/Mazda American Credit the dealership will get some sort of reimbursement/kickback for the financing. Thus the $21,000 OTD with financing offer as opposed to just taking my $21,500 OTD price. Am I correct in assuming this?
    Yes Mazda credit is giving a rebate if you take their financing. I think it is an extra $1000, but might vary by location. Also, at least in my area it is consumer rebate not cash to dealer...not that it really matters much.

You can find the rebate info, including cash to dealer right here on edmunds.com, btw. The consumer rebate info, but not cash to dealer, can also be found at mazdausa.com.
    Thanks, jeff.

Here's what I got for a 2006 MAZADA6 s Sport 4dr sedan (3.0 L 6cyl 5M):

Automatic Trans ($920) and Rear Wing Spoiler ($260)

MSRP: $25,670
    Invoice: $23,663 (Including Automatic Transmission $827 and Rear Wing Spoiler $200)
    Holdback: $478 ($23,910 MSRP * 2%)
    Rebate: $3,500 ($2,500 incentive/$1,000 financing)
    True Invoice: $19,642
    T/T: $1,818
    Lowball: $19,500
    Target Price: $20,838
    Edmunds TMV: $21,380 (Including $3,500)

Will pay off $7,000 @ 10% after 3 months.

$21,000 OTD minus $3,000 (max allowed by dealer) on Credit Card 2x points.

It is true that I can pay off the loan after 90 days with no penalty and only pay interest for 3 months? Just want to be sure.:)

$7,000 @ 10% for 3 months

2372.330 per month
    $7117 total paid
    I have posted a few times on here in the last few months about the mazda 6. I am still debating about the 4 cylinder automatic versus the 6 cylinder automatic. I may get a hatchback. My only concern with the 4 cylinder is engine noise. I thought the 4 cylinder engine was kind of loud. I also drove the 6 cylinder and it drove very nice. I am just unimpressed w /the gas mileage. ANyway, I know there are only a few 06's left. I just need some help sorting this out. Did anyone else think the 4 cylinder automatic was noisy? Does yours have enough get up and go? Thanks!
    It is true that I can pay off the loan after 90 days with no penalty and only pay interest for 3 months? Just want to be sure.

I have no direct knowledge regarding this, but everything I have read indicates either you can pay off right away or that you can pay off after 3 months and it will not impact the financing rebate.
  • mazdamotoringmazdamotoring Member Posts: 18
    Redsfan1,

I also had a tough time deciding between the 4 cylinder and V6 (though I was looking at the manual versions). I thought the V6 was the quietest between the two, but still thought the 4 cylinder was relatively quiet, and had very good acceleration. I was coming from a 2000 Sentra SE, which in comparison was more noisy than either of the Mazda6 models.

Yes, I'm unimpressed with the gas mileage of the V6, after having driven nothing but 4 cylinder cars. But I justified it two ways. First, the low selling price of the Mazda6 V6. For example, it was 4 grand less than a Camry 4 cylinder (a car I had also considered). Sure, the Camry would get better gas mileage, but not enough to make up the 4 grand difference. You've got to look at the entire cost of ownership. Basically, the great prices on the 2006 Mazda6 V6 allowed me to overlook the gas mileage penalty. Secondly, I enjoyed the power of the V6 so much that, for me, it was worth paying higher gas prices. Simple as that.

You can make these kind of rationalizations till you're blue in the face, but that was my thought process. My cousin bought a Mazda6 4 cylinder automatic two weeks after I got mine because he was so impressed with the car. But he drives a lot and therefore is more sensitive to gas prices, which is why he went with the 4 cylinder. Guess you have to figure out which model you'll be happiest with - it's tough to go wrong with this car. :)
    I have no direct knowledge regarding this, but everything I have read indicates either you can pay off right away or that you can pay off after 3 months and it will not impact the financing rebate.

The rebate police won't show up at your house but the dealer gets charged back if the loan is paid before 3 payments...so if you payoff before 3 months you might not be very popular at the dealership.
  • rickypaulrickypaul Member Posts: 24
    I just bought a Mazda6s. I received the $1000 rebate through MAC financing. I was told I can refinance after making my first three regularly scheduled payments. Which I interpret will allow me to pay off the loan on my fourth payment without the penalizing the rebate. I had to sign a piece of paper to that affect.

rp
    I already called MAC. One can pay off the loan instantly. I signed no contract to hold the lease for 3 months. Finance officer tried to play games with me so I have no loyalty towards the dealership. I will pay it off in 10 days with a finance charge of about $40.

Thanks everyone!:)
    I see that, for 2007, the Mazda6 is Edmunds Most Wanted Sedan Under $25,000. Naturally. :shades: I find myself in complete agreement. :)
    Whew, glad I did not get a 2006...since it was not picked last year :) . Interesting that they picked this 5 year old design in its last year.

I am planning to get one, while remaining in the under $20,000 category...I don't know if that counts ;) .
  • zzzoom6zzzoom6 Member Posts: 425
    I've had my 6 for almost a year now, and I geuss I'm not surprised that it was rated the most wanted sedan under 25k; it's a great combination of fun driving traits (great brakes and steering, good handling), good looks, reliability, and with the current incentives it's an excellent value. Add this award to the long list of awards the 6 has earned. well done Mazda!
    I am thinking about getting the mazda 6 hatch. I heard the car may be more noisy w/ the hatch versus the sedan. Have any of you found this to be true?

Also, if you own a 4 cylinder mazda 6, have you found the car to be noisy during acceleration in the 4 cylinder?? I found this to be true when I test drove. Does this bother you at all or do you just get used to it?

Thanks
    So you're still on the fence about this?

Have you tried test-driving both the V6 and 4-cyl versions of the 5-door and Sedan, just to find out firsthand? This is the best way to determine what's too loud for you and your needs.
    Yeah, I am just having a hard time deciding if I want the 4 cylinder or 6 cylinder. I thnk I like the drive of the 6 better but I think the gas mileage is horrible w/the 6 cylinder and I travel around a lot. I think 20/27 is horrible. I am also looking at a 4 cylinder camry for the reliabiilty and quietness. Truth is, I love the mazda 6 style. Just dont know if a 4 cylinder will annoy me with noise and not give me the get up and go with the automatic. But I know the 6 cylinder would but it seems like a gas hog. Even consumer reports said the 6 was thirsty!

Any thoughts?
    What do you drive now? What kind of acceleration numbers does that have? Does it seem adequate to you? How do its acceleration numbers compare to the 6i?

I am not an owner. I have only test driven, but to me the 4 cylinder was only noisy when I stomped on the gas. Otherwise it seemed very quiet. The sound when accelerating will not bother me.

Note that when you get owners opinions you should be aware that the 2005 (and I assume earlier models) were much noisier than the 2006 (and I assume 2007).
  • avelectroavelectro Member Posts: 9
    Last December I bought a 2006 Grand Sport sedan with the V6 automatic and my fuel economy experience has been much better than the EPA ratings. My commute is 38 miles and mostly highway, but it has 22 traffic lights and two stop signs. During the summer, with the A/C going full bore because I live in Phoenix, I was averaging 28 mpg. After the daily high temps here fell below 100F, mileage rose to 30 and has stayed there. I fill up every week, and each fillup calculation has been right around 30 mpg on Shell or Chevron 87 octane. If it seems exceptionally good, it is probably because my conditions are good: smooth roads, moderate weather, no short trips, well broken-in engine (15K miles). Plus I am very gentle on the accelerator, no tailgating, revs always below 3K, and the OEM Pirellis are at 45 psi. I have proven the V6/Auto can give good fuel economy in the real world, it just seems to do poorly on the EPA cycle.
    I didn't know there was a difference in sound levels between the 2005 and 2006 models. What accounts for the difference?
    I don't know, I assume they added more sound insulation. In the 4 cyl automatic another factor is the 5 speed trans vs. 4 speed in the 2005. But there was a lot more road noise, not just engine noise.

I had a 2005 as a loaner for a week when my wife's VW was being repaired last spring. I really liked everything about it, except it was too noisy and the seats were too hard. So I was really happy when I decided to check out the 2006 to see if either of those things improved and both did.