Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda6 Sedan

Comments

• radocharadocha Member Posts: 26
    Anyone out there with 100k plus on the V6 ? just wondering how the engine is holding up...my '03 Duratec with 62k is getting louder (raspier) and taking oil (not quite 1q for 1k but it is getting there). Aside from that, the car runs well but I have a growing concern about its 'heart'. Bottom line, this is a keeper for me but if it needs a 'transplant' before 150k...well, it will be a big disappointment with Ford (I guess partially with Mazda too for not reworking the engine enough). I suppose only time will show...
  • redsfan1redsfan1 Member Posts: 58
    I talked to a dealer today about a 2006 Mazda 6 s Automatic Sedan brand new car. Car is a 6 cylinder model. They are willing to sell for 18,300. I want to try and get the rear wing spoiler added to the car extra for free. Do you think I have room to negotiate iwth this offer. I was thinking about offering 17,500 and ask them to include the spoiler with that price. I think they want to get these 06's off the lot. What do you think? Thanks!
  • mz6greyghostmz6greyghost Member Posts: 1,230
    $17,500 is a good place to start. Is it a Grand Touring? What other options does it have?
    It was 24, 500 as the list price on the tag. It has no options on it. Just a base model, Mazda 6 Sedan, 2006. I want them to throw on the wing to make it look more sporty. You seem to know a lot about mazdas, I have a few questions for you..

1. Did you think the seats were comfortable? That was one of my concerns, they seemed kind of hard. I hadnt noticed this before but I did last night for the first time.

2. Do you know if there is much of a difference of the style of the base model 06 Mazda 6 versus the sport model. I love the sport but it seems like all of them are gone in my area. I think the front grill may be different. Just dont want to be disapointed that it doesnt look the same after I buy..

Thanks for your help!
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    In addition to the wing and grill that you already noticed, tail lights are different on the 2006 sport vs. base. Sport has the dark tailights. Headlights have "smoke tint" lenses on the sport. Sport also has side sill extensions and alloys.

Personally I think the sport looks much better. I don't care for the wing myself, but like everything else.
    Do you think the base can still be sporty with the wing? Havev you seen mazdas like this. Problem is they didnt have one in the lot. Also, what do you think about seat comfort. I am a little concerned w/that. Seats seemed kind of hard when I sat in them?
  • mz6greyghostmz6greyghost Member Posts: 1,230
    Do you think the base can still be sporty with the wing?

I think so. There really aren't many other differences between the sport and base model, besides the taillights. The changes in the side and rear sills aren't NEARLY as noticeable as the '03-'05 models. I've got an '04 V6 w/sport pkg. and my brother-in-law has a base '04, and they really look like two different cars parked next to each other. For the '06-'07 models, a wing would look good, and not out-of-place on a base model like the '03-'05 models

Also, what do you think about seat comfort. I am a little concerned w/that. Seats seemed kind of hard when I sat in them?

My '04 seats are stiff, but they are VERY comfortable after a few minutes, and are great after long trips. In fact, I just completed a 2 1/2 hr road trip, and I feel pretty good. For '06 and up, they enlarged the bottom cushion, and GREATLY improved the seat materials. I've briefly sat in a '06, and the seats felt better to me than my '04. They are definitely stiffer than the seats in the CamCords, but I prefer them compared to the sofa cushions in the Camry.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
  • sbtattersbtatter Member Posts: 47
    Up here in calgary a dealer has 5 of these lease returns, sedans with 4 cylinder engine, at an attractive price. Any watchouts for these used cars, or are they relatively reliable?
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    They are pretty good cars...if you buy one have the dealer "certify" it....Mazda has a good certified program in the US..hopefully you have the same/similar program.
  • redfire6redfire6 Member Posts: 2
    I bought one on June 1, have over 16k miles and totally trouble free so far. This is my 8th car, and it's been the most trouble-free I've ever owned. The 06s are a little quieter than the older models, and interior materials are alot better.
  • saabskisaabski Member Posts: 61
    Hello all, I just purchased a 2006 Mazda 6 S Sports sedan (brand new leftover with 10 miles). Paid $16,225 plus TT&L, almost $8,245 off the MSRP of $24,660!
    It does include MAC Cash, so I would be refinancing through my bank in three months. This car is such a steal not only for its price/value/reliability, but its finesse as a true driver's car. Feels like a vault, but corners like it's on rails. One question though, does V6 require premium fuel?
  • ericzoomericzoom Member Posts: 213
    No, only the Speed6 requires premium fuel. The V-6 runs fine on regular gas.
  • isseyvooisseyvoo Member Posts: 121
    Who would be the original engine/transmission high mileage champ on this board??? Curious to see how the 6 ages. I know it's only been out since 03, but I imagine some of you have put the odometer through its paces by now.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    It's Tuesday, so that means it's time for our weekly gathering in the chat room!

The Mazda Club Chat is on tonight. The chat room opens at 8:45PM ET Hope to see YOU there! Check out the schedule
  • gnoelygnoely Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2003 6i. I have so far reached 115,500 something miles. Outside of a PCV valve replaced at 105,000 the car has been solid. A few tires and a couple of brake jobs, and oil changes every 5,000 miles. I will need to replace the coolant and spark plugs soon, as well as another drive belt. Bottom line, in terms of reliability, the best I have driven so far and light years ahead of its predecessor, and 1998 Chevy Malibu which was piece of...you know the rest.
  • kronogoosekronogoose Member Posts: 116
    Has anyone replaced the stock manual shifter with a short-throw shifter? I have a 2006 S. I'm guessing only after-market short-throw shifters are available (Mazda doesn't make any)?

Thanks,

Greg
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    Mazda does make one and I loved it when I had my 2003 i.

The part number is GRMS-8M-H12 (about $200 from a MAZDASPEED dealer).
    Mazda does make one and I loved it when I had my 2003 i.

The part number is GRMS-8M-H12 (about $200 from a MAZDASPEED dealer).
    Cool, I will check it out!

Thanks,

Greg
    Greetings,

Can anyone explain what difference the variable valve timing makes on the Mazda6's V6? It seems to me that the engine becomes more energetic above 4000 RPMs, but I haven't played with it enough to be sure.

Thanks,

Greg
  • carjimcarjim Member Posts: 155
    Mazda hasn't released any teaser photos of the next Mazda6 sedan have they? Has anyone got any pics to share? I'll even take some good juicy rumors. They can be fun to read.
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    Last spy shots I have seen are here.
  • skibry1skibry1 Member Posts: 174
    I understand us homelanders tend to be abit more robust
    than the rest of the planet,but we need a fun-driving car
    that makes us feel that $3+ gallon is wee bit easier to swallow.
    Well, sales of the Mazda6 haven't been that great so I'm sure they are trying to get closer to the size of the rest of the class. I'd expect something with similar dimensions to the Accord but handling that is best in class.
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    The increase in size isnt very much. I think the number I keep hearing is around 13 millimeters...but the new engine will be a nice update..
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    It would be nice to see a 4-cyl that matches Honda, Toyota, and Nissan for power and efficiency.
    The interior is said to be much more roomy. If I get a peek at it I'll let you know.
    I'm not sure how much more like a Camry you want it... as it's off by 2hp and 7ft-lbs and the Camry weighs 172lbs more.

Edmunds Comparison
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    Nevertheless the Camry has more hp and still manages to get better mpg despite the extra weight - a more efficient engine. I hope Mazda can match that and the others. Right now it is trailing the pack in both departments (power and mileage).
  • jonnyb2144jonnyb2144 Member Posts: 2
    Hey Guys,
    Just purchased a used 2006 Mazda 6s Grand Sport with about 28880 miles on it. Is there anything, either maitinance or routine care that I should have done right away? It is still under warranty but if there is anything I should have looked at that typically goes sour on it right around these miles let me know please :)
  • jonnyb2144jonnyb2144 Member Posts: 2
    What is the difference between a Grand Sport and Grand Touring? :confuse:
  • baggs32baggs32 Member Posts: 3,229
    Mazda hasn't released any teaser photos of the next Mazda6 sedan have they? Has anyone got any pics to share? I'll even take some good juicy rumors. They can be fun to read.

Latest rendering from a French mag. Obvious V6 would be the Duratec35 but rumors flying around state that the 6 will get the 280 HP Duratec37 that the CX-9 is supposedly getting for '08. The latter is definitely getting that motor in Canada for '08 at least.

• sir_timbitsir_timbit Member Posts: 39
    Looks sweet! Here's hoping they keep the hatchback for North America though.
  • chikoochikoo Member Posts: 3,008
    I think the tail lights and the tailpipes on the 2009 Mazda6 are derived from the CX-9. Time will tell whether my observation is right or wrong :)

I too am at 62k on a 2003 6s.
    Mine has been sipping 1qt per 1.5k since almost day one. Has not improved or worsened. So I am not worried about it.
    Raspier? Maybe you need to add some Lubecontrol Fuel power FP-60 or FP3000. It certainly helps clean and run the engine a lot cleaner.
    hey maltb......how are you my friend?
    geez Chikoo, are you hunting down all the old posts? ;)

I'm doin ok. I took some time away from Edmunds but came back to have a little break every now and then from work.

How's your 6 holding up? Planning to trade it for an '09 next year?
    It is doing really good.
    It has no more or no less rattles than when it was brand new.
    In fact my wife who drives a RX300 is so mad with Lexus that she is contemplating buying a Mazda, looking at my track record.

btw, it has been ages for me too since I have visited this forums. and when I do, who do I see posting.....YOU!
    http://www.mazda.com/publicity/release/2007/200706/070612.html

Mazda Awarded First Place in Auto Bild Magazine’s “Quality Report” for the Third Year Running

HIROSHIMA, Japan— Auto Bild, Germany’s largest car magazine, has ranked Mazda in first place in its highly respected “Quality Report” for 2007, which was published on June 8. This was the third straight year that Mazda has been awarded first place in this annual report.
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    The Mazda6 sold in Germany is made in Japan and the Mazda6 sold in USA is made in Michigan. There may be major differences in quality between assembly plants.
    No. There are not. IIRC, one of the posters here work for MNAO and he had the chance to drive both the Japanese and US version of Mazda6. Identical in fit and finish and build quality. That said, I had a made-in-japan '99 Mazda Protege for 5 years and now the US built Mazda6 for 4 years. Build quality is identical. Very tight.
    Yes there are differences. I have driven both Japan and Michigan assembled Mazda6 and not only are there differences in assembly quality, there are differences in components and quality.

The build quality is absolutely not identical.

I can attest to this as I own a Hiroshima built Protege and a Flat Rock built Mazda6. :surprise:

While they are both silver, the resemblance ends there. The Protege has better build quality.

We do not share the same anecdotal experience chikoo.
    Yes there are differences. I have driven both Japan and Michigan assembled Mazda6 and not only are there differences in assembly quality, there are differences in components and quality.

Such as? I would certainly like to know about them.
  • jbahjbah Member Posts: 23
    you won't feel anything worthwhile until after you get past 4k on the tach,,,by 5k you feel the pull...low end sucks on the V6 but the high end is nice. the VT saves gas i think that's the only reason for it. I would've liked more off the line jump but you can stomp on the pedal and she'll move,,,
  • autohound1autohound1 Member Posts: 45
    For those who haven't seen this yet, thought I'd post this latest 2008/9 Mazda6 pic, which is apparently what Mazda will be showing at the Frankfurt show in a couple of weeks. I'm really not sure if it will be a 2008 or 2009 model though. It only shows a limited front view. I really like the sculpted front shoulders and new headlights. Not so sure about the huge smiling grille though. I think it should have been a bit smaller to be in better proportion with the rest of the front features. However, overall I think it looks pretty good. I sure hope they continue making the hatchback and wagon, and can't wait to see all of the views.
    2008 Mazda6
    It will be a 2009. The 2008 model is already out.
  • m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    Have only had Mazda6 for a short time and have a simple question. Does the remote lock/unlock on the 6 have any audible sound when locking or unlocking? Nothing major but it just seems that all cars I have owned had an audible or both audible and light blink. Also, on the radio station control there is a label "Text" printed just underneath the dial. Does anyone know what that does? I can't find a reference in the owners manual. Thanks.
    The lock beep is programmable. Mine is set to beep at the second time the lock button on the remote is pressed.
    Text is for the Sirius radio if installed.
    Those are 100% NOT pictures of a 2008 Mazda6!