Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda6 Sedan

Comments

• mz6greyghostmz6greyghost Member Posts: 1,230
    Those are 100% NOT pictures of a 2008 Mazda6!

Okay, we get it! It's the 2009, not the 2008.

Now that we have that established, back to your regularly scheduled program. :)
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    Keep in mind that this is the version that the rest of the world gets...and sooner than we do. The North American version may differ slightly as we saw in the previous Mazda6.
  • m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    Are instructions for programming the lock beep in the manual?
  • socal2006socal2006 Member Posts: 44
    Wow, the new 6 is impressively beautiful. Really puts the new accord to shame. The wagon is awesome, but I'm sure it won't be coming. And it's lighter than the outgoing model with more hp? Wow. Sounds and looks good on paper so far.

C&D seems to think that the US will get a different version with different sheetmetal and even a different platform. The US version is to be bigger (or at least look bigger).

link">http://www.caranddriver.com/autoshows/13664/2009-mazda-6.html?al=19
  • skibry1skibry1 Member Posts: 174
    I'm pleased our boys still incorporate a Left-Leg Flexor!
    I'm not enthused with the "lexus-like" tail...but that
    front looks agressive! It'll be intresting to see our North American version.
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    I do not think our version will be any different then the euro one. At least as far as the body and platform are concerned.

Remember those spy shots we saw of the new 6 around Detroit? It's the same car!

Also, the teaser pic that Mazda North American Operations posted on MazdaUSA.com is the same as the pic's that were leaked. I really doubt there will be much of a difference, if any.
  • autohound1autohound1 Member Posts: 45
    I really like the look of this redesign, especially the wagon, but I fear we won't get that. I do hope this is the version the U.S. will get. However, it wouldn't surprise me if they bloat it up and make it more Camry-like for us (yuck). Let's keep our fingers crossed that they don't mess it up by going for the lowest common denominator in this market. Here are the additional pics.
    Redesign Pics
  • carguy58carguy58 Member Posts: 2,303
    and I do take great interest in buying a 2007 or 2008 Mazda 6 however I have my issue of CR that I bought and CR has black dots for trouble spots such as transmission and brakes for the 6 so does the 6 have alot of tranny problems and brake problems? Also owner satisfaction is under average for the 6's 4cyl trim but CR does rate the 6's reliability as average still. The question is the 6 a reliable car or its give me trouble back to the service department for the tranny and brake problems? Other cars I am considering are the Ford Fusion, a 2005 Acura TSX, and a 2007 or 2008 Mazda 3s.
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    The transmission in the 2006 and later 4 cyl Mazda6 is not the same as that in the 2005 and earlier. The 2006 went to a 5 speed automatic, the earlier versions had a 4 speed. I am not certain, but I would guess that the new 5 speed auto is the same one that is in the 4 cyl Fusion.

So whatever the value of CR's little colored dots for the Mazda6 may be, they tell you nothing about the new transmission.
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    That looks like a Hatchback. A 2009 Euro Hatch.
    today and it was a pretty good. Very tight steering but not a very wide turning circle when compared to my(former)Acura. Very nice view out and even the wing spoiler doesnlt block your view at all in the rear. I was expecting a big drop-off in terms of driving dynamics in the Mazda 6 when compared to the Acura but it wasn't that big of a drop-off. The 6 is heck alot of better to drive than the Cobalt I am renting now. Its not that I don;t like the Cobalt I just don;t like driving compact cars.

Anyway when are the 2009 6's coming out I don;t know when I will be able to buy an 07 6 because my settlement check for the Acura hasn't come in(that I totaled) and have to wait for it to come in. Will the'll be 08 model year for the 6?
  • sir_timbitsir_timbit Member Posts: 39
    This car looks gorgeous. Man oh man, when they bring it here I hope they don't screw it up and introduce some fat, dumbed down, bloated version of the car we see above. I can't help but think of the 2003-07 North American Honda Accord, compared to the Euro Accord (our Acura TSX). Or even worse, our 2008 Focus compared to the Euro Focus also revealed in Frankfurt.

At least it sounds like the hatchback will stay.
    Its not that I don;t like the Cobalt...

Really? I had a Cobalt as a loaner for 1 day and thought it was a pile of junk.
    Will the'll be 08 model year for the 6?

Yes. The '08 will still be the first-gen and available in sedan or 5-door. The wagon and 'Speed are gone.
    08's are already on the roads.
    "Really? I had a Cobalt as a loaner for 1 day and thought it was a pile of junk."

Well the Cobalt is a compact car so thats why I don't expect much out of it and its a GM small car at that. I will say though the Cobalt is a significant improvment over the Saturn SL1 that I drove 5 years ago as a rental. I did not like the Saturn that I rented 5 years ago. The Cobalt at least has competent handling and the interior is alright but still not class leading at all. The sound system is ok.
    "Yes. The '08 will still be the first-gen and available in sedan or 5-door. The wagon and 'Speed are gone."

Like when is the 09 6 coming onto Mazda dealers lots? The salesman who I took the test drive with said I think that Janurary of 09 that the 09 6 will come out. Basically I;m wondering how long Mazda dealers will be selling 08 6's before the redesigned 09 model comes out?
    I guess I expected more as I thought the Cobalt was supposed to be a big improvement over the Cavalier. Did not seem much better to me in terms of "drivability" or desirability. I understand the Cobalt is a cheap car (which should be the criteria for expectations, rather than compactness), Focus is cheap too but seems to be a much better car than the cobalt despite being an older design.

Anyway, I was real glad to get back in my Mazda6...I was thinking "wow, I really have a nice car"...of course, it did cost a few thousand more than a cobalt.
    Like when is the 09 6 coming onto Mazda dealers lots? The salesman who I took the test drive with said I think that Janurary of 09 that the 09 6 will come out. Basically I;m wondering how long Mazda dealers will be selling 08 6's before the redesigned 09 model comes out?

Well, I've heard as early as January to as late as June. Either way, I'm sure there will be enough '08 models on the lots to last the entire 2008 calendar year.
    I believe that someone had quoted a Mazda press release, on one of the forums here, that indicated that the information on the US version would come out closer to it's release next summer.
    The pics and the car.

The sedan has awkward appearing proportions. The 5 door has better lines.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Two posts with very wide pictures had to be removed. Please make sure a picture you post is not wider than the normal message text area of the page. If you post them on your CarSpace page, you can use the automatically generated code to display them and they will be resized to fit.
    How do you do that? I tried this on another forum here and when I copied and pasted the code from the carspace image, that said it was to embed a picture all that shows up is a link, like this:

See more Car Pictures at CarSpace.com

If I instead copy and paste the image url from it's "properties" and then select the url and click on "Img" button, I got a red X, like this:

Okay, my bad. Apparently there is a bug in the embedding code that is known and being worked on. So never mind. :-)

On the other, the only possibility I can come up with is the spaces in the album and picture names. You might try a separate album avoiding spaces - underlines instead may be okay, but I wouldn't even do that for this test - and see if that works. If it does not, please go to the Help link below and report this.

There is nothing wrong with the way you are doing it (paste, select, IMG button) and it should work.

Drop me an email and let me know.

Meanwhile, if you just paste the URL in your message, people can click on it and your picture will display for them.
    This is the image link from right clicking it and choosing properties:

http://www.carspace.com/jeffyscott/Albums/jeffyscott%27s%20Album/mazda6%20open%

Now I select that and click Img...

So the link does not work either...the image I had tried to put on the other forum is here:

http://www.carspace.com/jeffyscott/Albums/jeffyscott%27s%20Album/mazda6%20open%2- 0windows.jpg/page/photo.html#pic
  • scottmsimpsonscottmsimpson Member Posts: 66
    Our 2005 6 came with a sunroof deflector. I refer to a separate dark tinted plastic piece mounted atop the car.
    I'm debating removing it, at least for the winter season. I think it will come off easily, but not sure.
    The sunroof seems noisy compared to our previous car, a 99 Acura CL. It seems noisy to me either slid open or tilted. I also notice some low frequency noise if all side windows are closed and the roof is open. The CL didn't have this symptom. The CL did not have a deflector.
    I'm thinking the noise may be less without the deflector.
    Anyone else either added one, or removed one, or doesn't have one and thinks it is quiet with the roof open.
    It will be easier to wash the car without it mounted.
    Thanks, Scott.
    I've never had the deflector, but I think the car is relatively quiet with the moonroof open or tilted without the deflector. It may not hurt to try it without...

BTW, I've heard a lot of fellow 6 owners that have removed their deflector to discover small scratches in the paint where the deflector rubs against the roof. These scratches are deep in many cases, and simply cannot be waxed or buffed out by hand.
  • chikoochikoo Member Posts: 3,008
    c'mon Pat. Use some common sense.
    You should have edited the post and removed the images only, and left the http link in there where people can click on it and see the pictures on the autoblog website.
    Chikoo, if I could have I would have. The only person who can edit a post is the person who wrote it, and that can only be done for 30 minutes after it is posted. While hosts can delete posts, they cannot edit any but their own within that same 30 minute window.

Please repost the links.
    Dang it.....Moderators in other forums can edit user posts.

Oh well, I will have to dig them up again. I wanted it on record that I was the first one who posted the images / link the very day they were available.
    Cool - I think you just established that! I've got your back if you need me! ;)
    my Mazda 6(a 2007 model) and its silver and its the i model sport value edition w/ wing spoiler. This car is for somebody in my opinion who wants a Acura TL or BMW 3 Series but doesn't have that sort of money. I have only had the car since Thursday but everything seems good. Build quality seems very tight with this car. Styling is top of the line. The steering is tight too but not as tight as when I first got my 2002 Acura CL(boy that steering when I first got the CL was very stiff) but the Mazda's steering seems alot more forgiving than the Acura's(when I first purchased the Acura.)

I had a Mazda before the Acura(a 1998 626) but the build quality in the 2007 6 seems alot more tight than the 626's build quality.

One thing I wish was better on the 6 is the use of interior plastics even the 6's older more grown up brother(the Ford Fusion) uses better plastics than the 6 does. I did consider the Fusion as well(as I said on this thread a couple weeks ago) but the Fusions exterior styling while good just didn;t do it for me like the 6's styling does it for me.

I think I got a car in the 6 that is pretty close in driving dynamics to my old 2002 Acura CL that I totaled without having to spend a whole lot of money for it.
    One thing I wish was better on the 6 is the use of interior plastics even the 6's older more grown up brother(the Ford Fusion) uses better plastics than the 6 does.

What specifically do you find inferior about the plastics in the 6?

My observations are the plastics are textured in an appealing manner, the dash pad is soft to touch i/o hard plastic in inexpensive vehicles.

I grade the interior quality higher than Chrysler and lower than VW.
    One thing I wish was better on the 6 is the use of interior plastics

tell you what? I had the same comment 4 years ago when I got my 2003 mazda6.

4 year later, I think Mazda made the right choice. It has held up excellent, and since it is not hard (like the mazda3 or the protege before it) it does not rattle as it ages. It actually is a good damper.
    "I grade the interior quality higher than Chrysler and lower than VW."

Yeah but Chrysler's interiors have been of terrible quality the past 5-6 years with the exception of the PT Cruiser. I sat in A caliber and a 07 Sebring and the plastics were very hard(alot harder than the plastics in my Mazda 6.) I also usually drive vehicles at work like a Jeep Liberty and a Dodge Dakota the plastics in the Liberty are ok but alittle below average but the plastics in the Dakota are hard and cheap. VW has on the other hand makes some of the best interiors in the business but I wouldn;t buy their cars because their not reliable and I need a car that I can depend on and I think Mazda makes a reliable car that I can count on not breaking down on me.

"What specifically do you find inferior about the plastics in the 6?"

The top part of the interiors plastics with the exception of the plastics above the dash and the quality of plastic used on the glove box. The plastics/fabrics on the doors of the car are very rich though. The plastic that surrounds the radio area and the cup holder is pretty good though so I guess the 6's interior isn;t that bad of quality but they forgot to put good pieces plastics on the basically the whole top portion area of the plastics with the exception of the plastic above the dash area.
    "It has held up excellent, and since it is not hard (like The mazda3 or the protege before it) it does not rattle as it ages."

The Mazda 3 has a good interior actually. I dug the design of the interior layout of the 99-03 with the radio buttons and Air Vents and the plastics look very rich in the 99-03 Protege.
    The top part of the interiors plastics with the exception of the plastics above the dash and the quality of plastic used on the glove box. The plastics/fabrics on the doors of the car are very rich though. The plastic that surrounds the radio area and the cup holder is pretty good though so I guess the 6's interior isn;t that bad of quality but they forgot to put good pieces plastics on the basically the whole top portion area of the plastics with the exception of the plastic above the dash area.

you totally lost me here.

The dash is not made of plastic but rubber (same as Lexus RX-350).
    The glove box and door panels are plastic.

which one you don't like?
  • sugarlandsugarland Member Posts: 1
    People

I own a 2007 Mazda 6, V6, with the 6 Speed Automatic Transmission. If I perform a California stop, meaning rolling at 3-5 MPH through a stop sigh and then accelerate, my engine will rev up a little, and the transmission will engage in second gear. When the transmission engages, it also makes the car lurch forward a little. Once in second gear the car will shift through the other gears without a problem. If I start the car from a complete stop, the transmission will shift through all gears without a problem. I have owned other automatic transmission cars before with never did this. I am wondering if other 6 speed transmission owners have experience this as well. I want to know if there is something wrong with my transmission. The car only has 300 miles on it.
  • shermajdshermajd Member Posts: 29
    Hi Sugarland

I have a similiar problem (2006 6 Sport V6 with 6 speed auto). I also have a delay in response from when I hit the accelerator (not hard, just from a rolling start like at a stop sign).

Anyone else have this problem?

I read other posts from 2005 6 owners who had a software reflash at the Mazda dealership but I have not read of any 2006 owners complaining of this problem.

Other people I talk to (not necessarily mazda owners) tell me it is related to teh drive by wire. A friend of mine drove a Lexus E350 and complained of a terrible lag when the accelerator was pushed.

John in Dayton
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Time again for our weekly gathering of enthusiasts! Maybe we should make tonight a costume chat! :P

The Mazda Club Chat is on tonight. The chat room opens at 8:45PM ET Hope to see YOU there! Check out the schedule
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    Does it cool adequately in 100+ degree temps? Does 4 cylinder and V6 motor have same cooling capacity?
  • kaiserhead6kaiserhead6 Member Posts: 4
    I have the same problem (2006 Mazda6 with V6 and 6 speed auto), it annoys the hell out of me in the city, I should have got a manual transmission.
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    It's excellent, more than adequate in Las Vegas, which as you know, is hotter than hell.
    My A/C on my 2007 seemed kind of weak last year. I am planning to ask about it when it is in for an oil change in summer.
    You may want to do:

1. Get the latest PCM flash
    2. Check the intake manifold gasket for any leaks.
  • srhnk401srhnk401 Member Posts: 3
    Has anyone else had a very difficult time selling their Mazda6? I own a 2006 Sport Sedan with 30k miles, in great-excellent condition both inside and out. With the exception of leather, this car is equipped like a GT. I've posted the vehicle on Craig's List, Cars.com and Autotrader. I've priced the car between suggested trade-in and private party values and still can't get rid of it. Am I the only one that is going through this? Suggestions, opinions, related issues all appreciated.
    I've priced the car between suggested trade-in and private party values and still can't get rid of it.

Where does that put it in relation to the cost of a comparable new one? Does it have a manual or auto trans?
  • m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    V6 or I4? Mx or Auto? What's it priced at? You can get brand new 2008s VE, auto I4s for about $16000 in many areas of the country.
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    My niece just sold her 04 with 60,000 miles for over $12,000. No problem. Sales of cars is quirky - color, miles, equipment all play a role in desirability. But there is a butt for every seat - if you persist, you WILL sell it. May take a while, but you will.