Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda6 Sedan

Comments

• mirthmirth Member Posts: 1,212
    I was at the Detroit auto show yesterday and got to sit in a Mazda 6. I don't want to burst anyone's bubble or anything, but I was underwhelmed. The interior wasn't all that great, and it didn't look as good in person as the pictures I had seen. Still, it was obviously pre-production, so maybe things will improve. But I was kind of disappointed because I was a little bit excited about the 6.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Any pix? What about the back seat, was it roomier than the current 626?

-juice
    Yeah, the back seat was bigger than the 626's. Leg room is pretty good, but I thought the Passat's was better. You might be able to fit 3 people in the back easier than the Passat, though.
    No pix - sorry, didn't bring a camera.
    Why? Was the seat wider, or just shaped that way?

I guess I'll have to wait to see it in person.

-juice
  • newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
    There is a picture of the back seat on this webpage: http://www.elmundomotor.com/elmundomotor/2001/10/16/coches/1003262288.html
    The back seat looks roomy. Less contoured than the current seat, which is best for just two people.

The pix look good. I see hints of Lexus IS300 and Audi, not bad cars to be compared to.

-juice
  • cayennered1cayennered1 Member Posts: 193
    I was at the Detroit show today and did my due diligence on the 6. I agree that the sedan appeared somewhat underwhelming, but the Japanese version (RHD) hatchback that was there was nothing short of awesome. Admittedly it was a show car (red-orange metallic, huge wheels, blackout windows) but the basic look was great. Also they had a slightly sported up sedan (17's, spoiler) which looked much better than the bread and butter sedan they also had on display.

The interior on the hatch had two tone seats, and steering wheel and looked great. Overall, I think a lot will depend on interior colors and fabrics as to whether it will be appealing or not.

But if they bring something out approaching the hatchback on display at the show I'll be lining up.

Going into the show I thought I was a lock to get the G35, but I was totally underwhelmed when I saw it. I think the styling is bland and it's pretty much off my list at this point.
  • csuftitanscsuftitans Member Posts: 215
    Does anyone has any pics of the Mazda6 from Detroit Show. I'm desperate to see more new pics of it, even the base model.
  • tiredofmanualtiredofmanual Member Posts: 338
    Come on, please post em!

Does anyone know if the 6 will be at the Chicago Auto Show? It is one of the biggest in the US, so I would assume so, but you never know I guess.
  • meesrmeesr Member Posts: 20
    Big Shindig in Irvine, CA where Mazda R&D is.

They are there for the 6. Anyone give us inside info?
    I agree, the hatch is the most stylish.

-juice
  • mkcomkco Member Posts: 65
    And LOVED it!!! This could easily be my next car. Definitely the best-looking in its segment. Nice interior. H U G E improvement over present 626!!!
    The current 626 was basically designed for the 1993 model year, and intro'd way back in 1992. A mild update didn't do nearly enough, IMO. It's about time.

-juice
    Was it the sedan or the hatchback that you really liked?

The red-orange metallic hatch was awesome, the blue sedan was nice but not particularly special.

Still waiting to see the wagon. Anyone think it might be at the Chicago show?
  • meesrmeesr Member Posts: 20
    ANYONE??
  • mkcomkco Member Posts: 65
    Actually, it was the blue sedan that I really liked! That's just my personal taste...I like the looks of cars with real, defined trunks, not "humpbacks" (although I was impressed with the hatch as well).

Though it's not revolutionary, the sedan has a nice wedge shape that is just dressed up enough by the taillights and wheels to look sporty. (The fronr end's nice too.) But what really gets me excited about the 6 is that I can get a 220 hp 6 with a stick in an affordable car that by all accounts will be really fun to drive, yet practical. I also though the interior was comfortable and attractive.
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    The sedan will be the only north american version for 8-10 months. Mazda isnt sure if the wagon or the h/b will be next. Expect one of them 8-10 months after the sedan launch.

Also here is a big insider secret....an all wheel drive version is being pushed hard by the head North American Operations mazda 6 designer...The mazda dealers from Canada and northeast US are pushing hard for it also. No promises yet though but its not out of the question. If it happens expect it 18-24 months after the initial launch.

Rich
    That would be sweet, an AWD version would really put the 219hp down effectively.

Do you know if the FWD version will offer a limited-slip differential?

Too bad we may have to wait for the more interesting body styles.

-juice
  • storytellerstoryteller Member Posts: 476
    audia8q: You sound like you really know, but this is disappointing news to a lot of us. We're talking about a sedan in about half a year, maybe longer? And then the better part of a year before the hatch or wagon? That probably kills the 6 for me.

Great about the AWD possibility, but the teasing photos of 6 hatches and wagons begins to feel like the old vaporware computer software releases.

steve
    They tell us September for the sedan.
    I wish we could get them all right away!!! but this is the most important car that Mazda has ever released. They have banked everything on the Mazda 6..it defines everything about the company and their future plans. If it fails it will be a huge disaster for Mazda and Ford. This is why they are being very cautious about the launch...They are checking and rechecking everything they can to get it 100% right out of the wrapper.

Rich
    Q: I've heard different sources say the Protoge is the best seller, while others say the 626 is. Which is true?

I agree that the 6 is a keystone for Mazda.

-juice
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    At one time the 626 was the mainstay. However, as the platform aged and marketing support was cut back, the Protege Sedan became the new king. Add the sales of the P5 to that and it's Mazda's backbone.
  • storytellerstoryteller Member Posts: 476
    audia8q: We all want them to get it right the first time. Who needs a repeat of the Tribute release? I'm personally disappointed, but I sure want Mazda to be healthy and this car is critical. Hard to say, but I'd guess the 6 means even more to Mazda than the new Altima to Nissan.

Major story on the auto business last night on the Lehrer report. Experts predicting a significant dropoff in the number of makers in the next few years. I don't want Mazda to be among those no longer around.
    Good points.

Tribute launch was bumpy but I think Ford had more to do with it than the 6 because the Escape is produced in far greater volumes than the Tribute.

-juice
    Yes the Protege is the volume unit for Mazda and it is profitable. unlike small cars for the domestics. But from a long term bottom line and image perspective the 6 is the key...

yes, I believe the 6 is more important to mazda than the altima to Nissan...Mazda was a terrible franchise to have a few years back but they have been on a great product roll that has really made a huge difference. Nissan has been a good franchise, from a dealers standpoint, for many many years even though the nissan corp was doing poorly financially.

Rich
    Interesting to hear the dealer's perspective.

-juice
  • tomcat630tomcat630 Member Posts: 854
    The freshened Protoge is selling real well, so the '6' is a logical step up, I am betting that it will do well and can't wait to see them.
    One report said early 2003, but Septemeber '02 is much better!

I just don't want to see Honda and Toyota with duopoly on the car market!
    Rich: any chance the warranty will get longer?

Mazda used to have the edge with a 3/50 vs. the industry standard 3/36, but now Toyota, Nissan, and Subaru all offer 5/60.

I know, I'm cheap, but just figured I'd ask.

-juice
    I'm glad the new altima and the japanese buick, I mean the Camry came out already....All the ballyhoo about nothing would have clouded the Mazda 6 entry....With Mazda holding back the entry they get the stage to themselves.

Zoom~Zoom

Rich
    Hmm, I'd call the Avalon the Japanese Buick, because it offers a front bench seat. I think it's the only Asian car that does.

-juice
  • dsm6dsm6 Member Posts: 813
    When does the new Honda Accord come out? That might be around the same time as the 6 intro, which could potentially steal the thunder from Mazda.
    Both this fall. But if Honda goes conservative, and Mazda goes all out, it might be the other way around.

-juice
    "Both this fall. But if Honda goes conservative, and Mazda goes all out, it might be the other way around." -juice

Good point. Imagine Mazda stealing thunder from Honda, on the much heralded Accord no less.
    Well, think about it. Honda always had more power from their V6. It was 170 to 165 (then 160), and later 200 to 170.

What if the Accord keeps its 200hp rating, and then the Mazda has a 19hp edge? With better handling to boot?

Zoom zoom indeed.

-juice
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    I would LOVE to see Honda get their snobby "we are better at everything" butts kicked by Mazda! :)
    It's working for Nissan. The Altima is selling at a brisk pace.

-juice
  • tomcat630tomcat630 Member Posts: 854
    With the 6 and a new Accord, the Mitsu Galant sure is going to look old in the fall!
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    I liked the 3.5SE Altima I sat in back in October alot. But the price was almost $30,000. I guess I have trouble paying that much for a Nissan that's not a Maxima. :)
    Some have suggested that Honda will answer Nissan's Altima by increasing the Accord's power. Power isn't everything, though. If Mazda achieves the balance of handling, breaking, and power for which they claim to be striving, they could still overshadow a more powerful Accord. We shall see. I hope so. Mazda needs this one to sell well.
    ...has made it clear that they aren't competing in the my dad can beat up your dad game of HP. I think the early press on this car is an indication that the magazines may get enthused about Mazda again. Not since the old 4 wheel steering turbo 626 has that line had any attention. If it's the driver's car that Mazda says it is, it could be the answer.

Of course, it will never sell like the accord because more people want what they perceive as a box to get them from A to B reliably, but those that like to drive may pass up on a VW or Acura for the 6

My $0.02
  • ambullambull Member Posts: 255
    The Mazda 6 will never "overshadow a more powerful Accord", the best selling car of 2001, but it will give open-minded consumers another alternative and give Mazda a fighting chance in the competitive sedan market.
    Also, Honda may also give their more powerful Accord version better handling too, but if the 6 lives up to the hype, Mazda's should be better.
    I meant in the press. Yes the 6, or any Mazda, would be -very- hard pressed to outsell the Accord, but it doesn't need to. Hopefully Mazda will return to making a living in its own little corner of the automotive world by continuing to bring more real "zoom-zoom" back into its line-up. Recent introductions (P5, MP3, for example), as well as the press kit for the new 6 and RX8, suggest that there is hope!
    Rich, do you know whether there will be a sport model of the sedan? One 6 at the Detroit show had 17in. wheels and a spoiler and looked pretty good even though I don't like spoilers.

Any info on the interiors? Two tones? or Interesting colors? It gets pretty boring when you can get any color interior you want in a car as long as it's gray or beige.

Looked at the Mini at the Detroi show and saw that it's available with bright red interior. It would be nice if there was a little more color on the inside of cars. Funny how all the concept cars have these wild color interiors that never make it to production. Sometimes I wonder why they bother.
    They are discounting Altimas now, though. Plus $30k means it has HIDs, leather, moonroof, and probably even the plood kit. You can get a V6 for $23-25k easily.

The 6 has to priced carefully. I'd like to see the V6 MSRP from $22-25k.

-juice
  • ickesickes Member Posts: 82
    Honda doesn't appear to be shrinking away from the challenge posed by the Mazda 6 and Nissan Altima. Temple of VTEC has the '03 Accord listed with 2.4l 4cyl and 3.2l V-6 capable of 170hp and 225hp for the V-6. The V-6 is the same one from the Acura TL/MDX and Honda Odessey, so it is potentially cabable of 240hp. Also, it appears that a 5spd. Auto will be offered on the V-6, but Honda does have a 6spd. manual (Acura CL Type-S)that could be added to a "Type-R" model.

One advantage of the more conservative design used by Honda is that their cars have longer design appeal. The Pilot is troubling however, in that it appears really old. In the past, Honda's conservative designs at least looked current, if not slightly progressive in the case of the MDX.

My concern would be that the "6" may looked dated fast, especially those stupid "slammer" taillights. Perhaps in a Bizarro World moment there will be an aftermarket set of "normal" taillight lenses.

I dunno. I'm not buying until after each has been out for almost a year, so I'll have time to really consider each.
    No mater how dated the 6 gets, it's bore factor couldn't approach the Accord.
    The Pilot does look extremely plain, but people will line up to buy those.

225hp for the Accord? Depending on the weight of the 6, it could still be quicker. Also, Honda hasn't offered manuals for the V6 Accords.

-juice
  • ickesickes Member Posts: 82
    They haven't offered V6/manuals in the past. However, given the competition from the Altima and "6", I could see it happening. I could really see it for a Type-R model, as Temple of VTEC suggests will be offered. This isn't that big of a strech since they already have the transmission in the parts bin for this V-6, currently offered on the Acura CL Type-s.
    I still think Mazda can compete by offering better value. No doubt the Accord's price will go up, and probably match the Camry. So a loaded one will approach $30k. Mazda's pricing strategy will be key.

-juice