Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda6 Sedan

Comments

• ickes_mobileickes_mobile Member Posts: 675
    there are several posts with a feedback e-mail address...
  • azstanazstan Member Posts: 74
    Maybe they are getting tired of hearing what a debacle they have created with their "options packages". Their email boxes are full and I would guess that everyone is saying something similar.
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    actually the additional package set up was planned from day one. They wanted to limit things for the launch to avoid any hic-ups. If somebody had asked me I would have been glad to tell them...but its too much fun to watch adults whining like hysterical babies. haha
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    Considering how many people were/are anticipating this hot new arrival from Mazda, I can understand why they were mad at having to spend ~$5000 extra for ABS on the 6i model. Glad everything is fixed now though.
    From the test drive that Edmunds wrote, Mazda wanted the 6 to be just like their Protege, only a little bigger (as far as handling, etc.). Looks like they succeeded.

It will be great when Mazda finally stuffs the 2.3 in the new Protege for 04. It will answer alot of peoples' complaints about a lack of power.
  • markjennmarkjenn Member Posts: 1,142
    Just a quick note that buyers in other forums have reported that carsdirect.com is adding in a variety of regional advertising fees and paperwork charges to their invoice prices, resulting in their invoices being $500 or so over the invoices published in places like edmunds. It still may be a good deal, but I wouldn't accept their numbers without verification. Most people, when they report $X over invoice, mean the true invoice as reported here in Edmunds, not some funny number which includes a bunch of arbitrary overhead added in.

- Mark
  • stretchsjestretchsje Member Posts: 700
    OMG IT'S BEAUTIFUL!!!!

...and then it was sold.
  • wgrwgr Member Posts: 127
    I also have seen differences in dealer cost with carsdirect.com vs. Edmunds. Sometimes there also are differences in the MSRP amounts. What puzzles me is that, at least in the 60187 (Chicago suburb) area code, CarsDirect's purchase price is always below Edmund's TMV. It often is over $1000 difference with some cars. I do not know of anyone who has used either service to actually buy a car, so I don't know which is right. I would love to hear some feedback from actual users.
  • kenokakenoka Member Posts: 218
    My understanding was the it is only called the Atenza in the Japanese market and everywhere else it's the Mazda6.
  • diploiddiploid Member Posts: 2,286
    Yup, it's a "world car" and also known as the 6 in Europe.
  • racinangelracinangel Member Posts: 1
    I'm sorry if this is common knowledge, but which dealership are you at(if you can say)? I'm from CT and if I'm going to buy a new 6, I'd rather get it from a fellow enthusiast then some salesguy who isn't up-to-date on info.
    it is the Mazda6 in Europe but everyone at Mazda referes to the non north american models as the Atenza just to sperate it from NA model...

Racin...my email is on my profile if you want to contact me. Edmunds frowns if they think I'm prospecting on their site. lol.
  • mazda6smazda6s Member Posts: 1,901
    "actually the additional package set up was planned from day one. They wanted to limit things for the launch to avoid any hic-ups. If somebody had asked me I would have been glad to tell them...but its too much fun to watch adults whining like hysterical babies. haha"

I'm just curious, when did you find out about this plan?
  • ashutoshsmashutoshsm Member Posts: 1,007
    Not to (outright) deny you had knowledge of the additional options, but are you sure you're not just claiming to have known? It makes some sense, though - if you just told us more options and configurations were in the pipeline, the car would flop initially as everyone would wait to buy a better config. Evil, but that's how NDAs and business work, eh?

As to the entertainment aspect of adults complaining about options (or the lack of choices), it was about on par with watching the sales manager of a large (?) dealership stomping off because everyone was picking on him :)

No hard feelings, of course!
  • jampedrojampedro Member Posts: 38
    There are Mazda 6's made in the U.S. and made in Japan. Only for the Japanese market are they Atenzas. All other Japanese made models are 6's. Mine was made in Japan and I bought it from a dealer in Honduras 3 weeks ago. So rather than call non NA models Atenzas, they should just call them made in Japan. They make many more 6's than Atenzas in Japan.

BTW, I love the car.

In this market of only Japanese made Mazdas, they sell 323's (compact), 626's (midsize, now replaced by the 6) and the dealer's brother works in my building and drives an even larger 929. Can someone tell me the equivalents in the US market? There are lots of 323's running around here. Would that be the Protege?
  • boxfanboxfan Member Posts: 180
    "If somebody had asked me I would have been glad to tell them"--okay, Rich, do you know anything you're not telling us?
    Not to (outright) deny you had knowledge of the additional options, but are you sure you're not just claiming to have known? It makes some sense, though - if you just told us more options and configurations were in the pipeline, the car would flop initially as everyone would wait to buy a better config. Evil, but that's how NDAs and business work, eh?

As to the entertainment aspect of adults complaining about options (or the lack of choices), it was about on par with watching the sales manager of a large (?) dealership stomping off because everyone was picking on him :)

No hard feelings, of course!
  • the_big_hthe_big_h Member Posts: 1,583
    323 = Protege

and soon, Protege will be replaced by the Mazda3 :-)
    The 323 there is our Protege here. It's called Familia in Japan. They also get the neat FS-ZE engine, with turbo and AWD, good for 170hp. :(

The 929 used to be made here, but it died back in 1994 or 95. We had the Millenia though (the 6 replaces this), I don't know if it's the same as your 929 though.

We had the 626 as well, it's been replaced by the 6 though.
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    323: Protege
    626: in your market was (I think) the Capela (never sold in the US :( )in other markets and a much better car (IMO) than the 93< NA 626
    929: discontinued in NA with the introduction of the Millenia (now defunct as well). Obviously, the 929 is still sold in other markets.

Edit: Sorry for duplicate info.
    yeah, it was in my dealers order guide and on the mazda spec deck on the dealer order system with the intro dates

and quite frankly I didnt say anything because people on this thread are generally rude and didnt want to hear the facts...they just wanted to whine and declare the car a flop...

Don't worry I wont be around here much, just wanted to clear up a few incorrect posts on here....We have a hard enough job in the car biz without know-it-all's who don't know much spreading their version of the facts. hahaha

Glad to see everyone is as friendly as ever. lol
  • kenokakenoka Member Posts: 218
    Would these be the same type of experts who claim that they had to take the "Atenza" badge off of a german Mazda6?
    it's getting warm in here.
  • newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
    I don't think the FS-ZE is turbocharged.
  • the_big_hthe_big_h Member Posts: 1,583
    is NATURALLY ASPIRATED... no turbo Paul... :-)
    Crap, I got the wrong engine code I think. :(

Whatever it's called, you all know what I mean. What is the code then?

And thanks ahead of time. :)
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    Actually, as I recall many people did ask audia8q what the deal was with the options.
    Yeah, a little friendly ribbing.

Although I (personally) consider withholding information a different class of offense from merely raising loud opinions and complaints about choices available to consumers.

But then again, its not as if Richard is here under the sole premise to be our source of info, eh? Nor did he ever claim or promise to be just that. Part of it has to do with keeping a finger on the pulse of the more informed (assuming 'internet savvy' -> 'more informed') car buyer - ie: one's own bottom line. Absolutely nothing wrong with that approach, either.

All in all, a rather informative and eye-opening look (for the less business- and market-oriented among us) at the complex logistics and planning that go into the release of a new car. In the end, everyone wins!

OK, enough about this, I guess - do tell us how soon more sensibly configured Mazda 6's will start being produced and shipped. Have either of your dealerships placed orders for a configuration not yet available through the web tool at mazdausa (but allowed by the updated build specs specified in the mazda email some of us have received)? ETA?
    hmmm, not sure how I got in your title bar, but ok.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Rich, we all let you know several weeks ago that we wanted you to continue to be a part of this discussion. However, continuing to snipe at the folks participating here is not called for.

And to the rest of you, I think you need to realize that Rich has always been very helpful and courteous to the Town Hall community. We had a bad misunderstanding a few weeks ago. We ALL need to let it go.

I am calling an end to the bickering that's going on here. Enough is enough. We all should be able to compose a message that does not include insults of any sort.

Let's get back to the enthusiastic conversation we were having before the ugliness of a few weeks ago. All of you should be patting yourselves on the back for raising your voices to Mazda USA and making yourselves heard.

I think that in and of itself is outstanding! :-)
    Some of you were making some very ugly posts while I was composing -- they have been removed.

And as I said, they must stop. None of us are free to attack another Town Hall member, no matter what the provocation. If you feel that a posted message attacks you, or is in anyway in violation of the Membership Agreement, your recourse is to notify the board host. You may NOT turn around and attack the person, or otherwise fail to keep your own commitment to the MA.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to email me. We are done with this subject here.
    I was responding to your "Its warm in here" post with my "Yeah, a little friendly ribbing"

None of the rest of it was specifically directed at anyone (especially not you)! Just expressed that I could appreciate Mazda's corporate/business reasoning and logic behind why they managed things the way they did, nothing more.

If Dale were here, she'd institute a group hug. I'm just going to wish everyone a great weekend!
    Sorry if I stepped on any toes, never my intention!
    Where IS Dale when we need her? :-)

Ashu, I agree -- happy weekend to all. (and to all a good night?)
    (and to all a good night?)

You are about a month early Pat. :-)
  • anonymouspostsanonymousposts Member Posts: 3,802
    So in 5 years is there going to be a MA6P?
    will you be there?
  • chicagoprochicagopro Member Posts: 1,009
    We are the world,
    We all drive Mazdas...
    We all drive Proteges and MPV's,
    and also P5's.

We are so excited
    About the brand-new 6,
    That we're forgetting
    We are just one
    Big family.

(((((((())))))))

:)

--Dale
    Not sure I understand your post malt. Who are you talking to?
  • fowler3fowler3 Member Posts: 1,919
    If the Mazda6 was designed to be a world car, I can understand its size -- made for European roads, especially in undeveloped Eastern Europe, which haven't been upgraded since before World War One. There are still plenty of narrow streets in villages all over Europe. Some so narrow cars have to get on the sidewalk to pass each other.

As for design, Mazda probably settled on a contemporary shape closely resembling the Audi A4 roofline, a car that is very popular in EU. The roofline also resembles the Millennia and the Lincoln LS, especially the C-pillars.

What should a 21st Century car look like? Did you expect something radically different, i.e. Cadillac CTS maybe? I doubt the CTS will be remembered 50 years from now as THE car of the new millennium. Neither will the 2002 Camry and the 2003 Accord. The latter looks like it was carved from a loaf of bread with a letterslot grille inserted. LOL!

I go much farther back than you guys, way back to the 1930's, when cars were just transportation and anybody who owned one was considered very fortunate. People didn't quibble over whether it was a good design or the logo was ugly.

The blue oval and bowtie came about because there were no professional designers then and they were simply shapes with a name (in script for Ford) or Chevrolet in standard type. Most real logos were sculptures mounted on the hoods as radiator caps: birds, flying ladies, and animals. Packard, LaSall, and Dodge come to mind. We still have Jaguar's "Leaper" and Rolls' "Flying Lady".

Car designs come and go, people love some and hate others, probably for good reasons. Why should a "sport Sedan" look any different than the same car sold as a family sedan, with the exception of special paint and a few options? Should a sport sedan be a special body-type, a four-door sports car you have to get on your knees to crawl out of?

You talk about driving a car 100,000 miles. I never drove one car that far, but I have driven the cars I have owned a combined 820,000 miles with only one accident - I was rearended.

For my tastes, I wish the Mazda6 had been made a little larger, had more legroom in the back, comfortable seats, and no tacky, immitation metal trim on the dash. It isn't even a good immitation! But one can always change it to something else with aftermarket kits. It's having to do it that gripes me. It should be an option and one of two finishes. And I would like blue tint on the top edge of the windshield.

Here's another question on design: If luxury cars have burled walnut and Brazilian rosewood trim, shouldn't utilitarian SUV's have knotty pine? ;)

fowler3
    Not sure I understand your post malt. Who are you talking to?

Then what made you think I was talking to you? :-)

Must be some strange flashback. image
  • crkeehncrkeehn Member Posts: 513
    Is it sung to "We are the World"?
  • glideslopesglideslopes Member Posts: 431
    How about a big group hug in here! Come on now, you know, arms around each other, tears flowing, a smile and a nose blow at the end? Let's do it! Let's get past the fact that we post in a forum with the terms of Berlin circa 1938. Ok, maybe I should hug first?

Mark, ; )
  • stevesingaporestevesingapore Member Posts: 7
    Just got back from the Singapore Motor Show where Mazda had a display with five 6's including two hatch's ("five doors")and three sedans. Some had the sport grill. IMO, unless you really need the utility of the hatch, the roofline of the sedan is a bit more appealing (but they both look great!) And they don't sell the V6 model here, so count your blessings in the States! I won't get back to the US for a few years, so I hope y'all start buying those stick shift models so they're still available in 2004!
  • dinu01dinu01 Member Posts: 2,586
    Jim: Liked your Accord like a bread loaf comment!

Dale: I never knew you were also a composer.

Mark: You're scarying me: you're turning into Dale. Not that we don't like Dale, but 2 officers from the Hug Police is too much. Seek your own niche Mark!

Cheers!
    Dinu
  • th83th83 Member Posts: 164
    but it's still a better all-around car than any other mid-size sedan.
  • fowler3fowler3 Member Posts: 1,919
    Camry, the Mitsu-Gallant, the Taurus and Sable, and any other midsize that comes to mind. The '98 Accord seemed flimsy to me and the engine sounded too metalic -- even cheap. I traded a '97 Accord for the '98 and quickly regretted it. Sold it back to the dealer in 30 days. Big loss! Bought an Ody, sold it in '01, and went Mazda Protegé, ending a 15-year Honda only trip. Hondas aren't what they use to be.

The Mazda6 will tell us if Mazda is getting closer to the quality Honda USE to have. It isn't a true mid-size, what should we call it -- Compact Midsize?

fowler3
  • dinu01dinu01 Member Posts: 2,586
    maltb: I agree! Let us complain about how much we hate the new Accord. Similar feelings are also experienced for Civics - from me at least.

fowler3: I actually like the current 02 Accord (what a smooth 5 spd!!!), but the new 03 one is nasty - not to use ugly again.

Dinu
  • qddaveqddave Member Posts: 164
    For all you other Canadians out there, i just watched Motoring 2003 on TSN this morning. They test drove the 6 and gave it sparkling reviews. Graeme Fletcher compared the handling as second to only the Mini. He said it sets the benchmark for all other family sedans out there. Then they showed the scores as they went to commercial, 4 out of 5 for performance, handling, touchy/feely cargo, i think interior/exterior styling and 5 out of 5 for "Bang for the buck" I think we have a winner.
    I will try to get my lazy significant other out of the house today but if I can't I guess I will test drive a 6 next weekend.

Still say it looks like a smaller Millenia though .. and considering the Millenia is a 8 year old design and Millenia's didn't exactly fly off the lot I'm not sure that's a good thing.