Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda6 Sedan

Comments

• maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    but the effect is that there is minimal slippage where other cars would have spun endlessly.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Good for them as far as their mileage, but it still doesn't meet my standard, and it's the AWD may not do as well. One of these days I'll try one for the fun of it.

I chose AWD for the winter traction, but the full-time AWD feel is a big bonus I'm not sure I would give up.

I've actually sampled that V6 engine. The MPV has it, and while it's smooth and effective, I didn't find it particularly quick, and that's with a 5 speed auto tranny and FWD.

Mazda should offer a 5 speed manual with the V6, or at least a 5 speed auto. I hate column shifters, though.

-juice
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    Yes, the owner had to settle on the automatic 200 hp V6 because Ford/Mazda don't offer a manual V6. What a shame. BTW, there's a 5-600 lbs difference between the Tribute and MPV. I'd say that makes a big difference. ;)
    Not to mention the MPV is only FWD with traction control...so much for powerful launches.
    It's actually less than that. Edmunds has it as only 357 pounds heavier. And gearing plays a big role, the 5 speed can make up for much of the weight penalty.

Either way, the engine seems fine, that's probably the Tribute's biggest strength. But to me reliability is a pre-requisite, so I wouldn't even give it consideration until that was sorted out and the long-term results showed that.

-juice
    3292 lbs. for the Tribute ES FWD V6
    3812 lbs. for the MPV ES FWD V6

That's a difference of 520 lbs.
    I was looking at a 4WD model. What's the point in getting a 2WD SUV?

Also, the MPV has traction control, and I imagine a FWD Tribute would have wicked torque steer.

-juice
    The torque steer can pop up on heavy acceleration. Adds to the fun! I hate my car's blasted traction control system. I turn it off most of the time.

Well 99.9% of SUVs never have any use for AWD, so a FWD is fine for most users. Where I live there's never any need for AWD as the weather rarely gets inclement. If they made a RWD WRX, I'd buy it over the AWD version in a second.
  • tomcat630tomcat630 Member Posts: 854
    Isn't this forum "Mazda 6"???

Whats with all the posts about VW's, SUV's, TDI's, and gas prices? These all all discussed in other places.

What does anyone think will be the day that one can get a new '6'?
  • ambullambull Member Posts: 255
    Monday December 2nd.
    It's not like we haven't beaten the 6 to death. If you have anything to write about it, do so...
  • tiredofmanualtiredofmanual Member Posts: 338
    Full production for the US-spec sedan is scheduled to begin October 27, so an early December arrival in showrooms sounds about right. It will be the sedan only and in limited quantities though. I'm still excited and waiting until mid-2003 for the hatchback is going to kill me. Well, at least my bank account will be happy.
  • tomcat630tomcat630 Member Posts: 854
    OK, I am hoping that the car is a success. Hows that?
    I drive on the beach at the Outer Banks, and we do occasional trail runs in the Pine Barrens. It's not rock hopping, but you do need AWD/4WD.

Oops, let's get back on topic, you think the 6 will have an AWD option? Traction control? Better yet, a front limited slip diffy? If they claim to be zoom-zoom let's see a torsen LSD up front.

-juice
  • srosssross Member Posts: 33
    Some posts back we were discussing traction control vs. AWD. As you mentioned, there's advantages to AWD that aren't found in stability control. Unfortunately, there are no indications at all that the 6 will have AWD.
    Stability control, though, has been mentioned for the Japanese version of the 6. The big question for me is whether the US version will offer it. I saw no mention of stability control on the US/NAIAS sites. I've noticed that a couple of cars that offer stability control in Europe don't offer it in the US--the 2003 Corolla for one, and until recently the Jetta. Maybe it's something US drivers just don't care about.
    So will the US 6 will have stability control (with traction control/ABS), traction control/ABS, or just ABS? Do any dealers have a feel for how popular this feature is or will become?
    If Mazda brings it over as a stand-alone option, like it is on the Camry, I'd want it.

The wife sampled an MPV and it just didn't cut it for her, so we're looking forward to driving the 6.

Her 626 has an open differential and no traction control, so all it takes is one tire on ice and it ain't moving. Kind of embarassing.

-juice
  • newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
    I just checked out the 6 at the Minneapolis auto show. It was blue with dual exhaust. I am so glad it didn't have those clear tailights. It was on a rotating platform so I could only see part of the interior. Looks sharp.
  • subzero206subzero206 Member Posts: 111
    any links to where i can see the interior?
  • birdman579birdman579 Member Posts: 151
    I'm not a fan of the clear lense taillights and hope Mazda puts normal lights on the new 6. I figure, for those of you who like the "boyracer" look, you'll be willing to pay the extra money to get the after market lights. I'm most interested in the new hatchback and I wouldn't be surprised if that has clear lenses and the sedans don't. I'd certainly be disappointed, but see the hatchback as the car for the younger buyer.
  • ickes_in_mnickes_in_mn Member Posts: 40
    I also saw the "6" at the Twin Cities Autoshow.
    It was the same one that was at Chicago. It looks on the small side of current mid-sizers, maybe about the size of a Passat, but not as big as Accord or Altima. I was pleased to see it since most times the Mpls show is an after thought. I actually saw some concepts that weren't at Chicago (Ford 49' Convertable) and you could sit in a T-Bird (assuming you could get near it). Looked again at the Altima. Black interior is better, but its still pretty cruddy.
    I like the clear lights, but my wife doesn't and it would be her car. That said, I think we'd both prefer the 5 door hatch.

FWIW, a local Ford dealer had half a dozen T-Birds in stock and I was able to sit in several. The seats are a bit spongy IMO.

-juice
    We let this thread slide down to the 2nd page. Isn't there anything new to report?

I drove by the local Mazda dealer on my way to the VW parts department (I'm working on a new project on my Focus) and wished I could have pulled in and driven away in a new gun metal 6 hatchback.
  • subzero206subzero206 Member Posts: 111
    im disappointed in the lack of new news and the lack of posts. even the 2003 Accord thread has never made it to the 2nd page and there is 10 times less info about it than the 6. im lookin to buy a new ride this fall and these 2 are on my list. i havent seen many interior shots can anyone find any?
    I haven't seen too many interior shots either, but the ones I have seen are very nice. With the 6 in production (european versions) already you would think that we would have a lot more pictures and some more test drives to read about. The 6 will actually go on sale in midsummer in Europe, so I guess we have to wait until then.

Check out this ad for the Mazda 6 that appeared in major newspapers in Finland a couple of weekends ago. Translated into english it says "Testdrive Nissan Primera before Midsummer!" Mazda must be pretty confident about this one.

Mazda's own website has a 360 degree view of the new 6 interior.
    They showed the wagon at Geneva, not that it was a first. I hope it comes here, looked gorgeous.

-juice
    Don't be offended that this thread hasn't made a 2nd page. I don't think they break up the page after +/-500 posts anymore. THe Honda Accord page is up to 5300 posts or something...
    The April edition of the British magazine CAR has an artical about the launch of the Mazda6 (not "6",its "Mazda6" with no space). They don't actually get to drive the car but do make some generallized comments about it. The point of the artical is how desperate Mazda is for the Mazda6 to succeed if they are to survive in Europe where they have almost no brand recognition. Most people there think the MX-5 is a Toyota.
    Boy are they desperate to have people include the manufacturer with the name, or what? That just sounds silly to me.

Manufacturer, Car Name, Model. Keep it simple, Mazda.

-juice
    Mazda has been dying for name recognition. People remember RX-7 and Miata, but they haven't got a clue who gave them those products. This way forces the Mazda name to be part of the model.
    Yeah, but will the products uplift Mazda, or will the Mazda name be ignored and drag the product down with them?

Mazda didn't have an identity. The same company making back-to-basics roadsters was pitching rotary engines and tiny V6s (remember the MX-3?), as well as 4WD low-range minivans and econo hatchbacks! Talk about inconsistent.

If they stick with zoom-zoom consitently throughout the product line, people will eventually catch on to the name.

-juice
  • maxamillion1maxamillion1 Member Posts: 1,467
    I am not buying an Altima until the New 6 is released in the United States! It's beautiful! Not quite as large as the Altima, but I am single, so that won't matter much!
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    got some insight today on something special brewing at mazda...

The high performance Mazda6 could become a reality...
    It is expected to have a turbo 2.3 4cyl engine, variable timing and direct injection. 6 speed manual, bigger brakes and possible height adjustable suspension and all wheel drive.

Look for the unveiling early as the Paris auto show in Septemeber....Australia looks like the first market.
    Wasn't Mazda Germany's top selling Japanese nameplate not too long ago?
    I hope you are right. Reminds me of the 626 GT days.
    I hope so too....at the national dealer meeting we were all asking for AWD...the head mazda6 designer was pushing for it also...
    looks like it's eventually going to happen.

Also....

The Ford Mondeo ST2000 will have a 219hp V6 3.0litre. (sure sounds like the Maz6 engine) It's running 0-60 times of 6.8 seconds.
  • csuftitanscsuftitans Member Posts: 215
    Thanks for the update audia8q. I'm definitely gonna get one, maybe a wagon or hatchback. Do youknow if this high performance model will be in sedan/hatch/wagon or all; woohooo. Wonder what they're gonna call this high performance model; MPS? When I lived in Australia, I have a Mazda '91 Astina SP (Special Performance) with 1800cc DOHC engine. The regular Astina got the SOHC engine. I beleive this SP model is recognized by the OZs as Mazda high performance car. They even have a Millenia SP I think; I know they have RX7 SP that won the 12 hour endurance race for 4 straight year; beating the likes of Supra, Porsches, NSX, etc...
  • cayennered1cayennered1 Member Posts: 193
    Has there been any further guidance on the 6 intro date? My lease expires in early November and the last I heard was that build would start sometime in October. That leaves me very little leeway and of course, no opportunity to get the hatch or wagon.

I would prefer the hatch or wagon so my only choice would be to extend my lease or buy the car (I'm not adverse to this idea) and wait 6-12 months for availablity of all the models.

Problem is that I'd really like to have a serious look at these cars and would hate to hold over only to find they are not for me. I guess I might be able to extrapolate from looking at the 6 sedan if that's available to see before my lease is up. I guess I'm wondering whether they're may be an earlier start up date. Reply from any Mazda sales or marketing people would be appreciated.
  • srosssross Member Posts: 33
    Like newcar31 and ickes_in_mn, I got a chance to see the Mazda6 at an auto show (Denver). The representative confirmed that the sedan should be available in November, the hatchback 3-6 mos later. He claimed prices would be in the upper teens to 25K range, saying it would be similar in pricing to the current 626.
    There were many positive comments on the styling from those who walked by. Although I couldn't sit in the car, from what I could see I thought the interior was well crafted in the current dark European vogue. The metallic center cluster looked quite nice, without the cheap feel that some of the silver plastic bezels have in some of the newer Japanese models. Granted, this was just a show model, not something in production.
    From just the looks of it, Mazda appears successful in cultivating the image of a Japanese car with a German feel (clean, high quality interior design, thoughtful features like non-intruding hinges for the trunk lid, easy folding rear seats).
  • maxamillion1maxamillion1 Member Posts: 1,467
    I am thinking about traveling to the Autoshow in ATL, anyone know if the new 6 will be on display there? Thanks in advance
    I'm not sure a turbo 4 would sell well in the US. The V6 will have 219hp and is better suited to US tastes. I like turbo 4s myself, but I'm not sure Mazda will offer that engine here, in the land of low-end torque lovers.

0-60 in 6.8 is solid. No turbo is needed if that's the case.

I like the wagon, but the wife likes the hatchback. We'll probably wait to look at those if (when?) they come.

-juice
    All three versions of the Mazda6 are at the NY auto show...4 door sedan, 5 door h/b and wagon....they also have a maz6 cut in half to show the inner workings of the car.

see you all there!!

Rich
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    I can not WAIT to get there on April 6! I am going up for the day to see the car show. It should be fun, and it will also be my first time. I even got a friend to lend me his digital camera (capable of ~1000 pics) for the trip. :)
  • csuftitanscsuftitans Member Posts: 215
    vocus, please, please, please post some pics of the new 6 for all of us to see.

thanks
    if somebody will tell me how to post a picture on here I have a few to upload.

I also will be there again Sunday and will get more pics....
  • the_big_hthe_big_h Member Posts: 1,583
    Edmunds don't allow you to upload pictures onto their server :( however if you want an easy way to post pictures, you can go to http://www.imagestation.com and upload the pictures and they'll automatically organize it into a nice photo album.

then you can just post the URL of the album here.

good luck! I want to see those PHO-TOS!!!
    Here are 4 pics of the Mazda 6...

sorry the pics arent better but I was on the tour with a different brand at the time. We were quickly ushered past the Mazda booth...LOL

I'll load more pics on sunday night.

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4291945243
    The UK auto site 4car has a review of the new Mazda 6. They don't give it a 5-star rating, but say that when the full line is available they may just reconsider. They really like the quality of the interior materials, the safety systems, the roominess, the comfort, and the fun factor.

This car is going to be a hit...

• the_big_hthe_big_h Member Posts: 1,583
    now you wouldn't by any chance took a picture of the Mazdaspeed Protege now did you? ;)

that blue 6 looks really sharp!! and I have a blue Pro right now, hmm what's my favority color again? :D
    Gorgeous front end. Looks good in any body style, really.

They like the interior? Good. Altima is getting a lot of criticism in that area, though I find it acceptable, at least.

The Mazdaspeed 3 will be at the NY show.

The review counts the following in the against column: Mazda badge (who cares?), limited choice of variants (bring the hatch and wagon).

-juice