Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda6 Sedan

Comments

• vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    It reminds me of the Millenia when it first came out. I guess that's the whole family resembelence thing then.
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    I should have a good selection of pics sunday pm...I will include all the new mazda stuff. including some interior shots.

The 5 door model is my fovorite.

Rich
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Good point, it does have the sharp looking lights like the original Millenia. The face-lifted Millenia looks too much like the 626, it sort of cheapened it. Now we've come full circle.

-juice
  • Gold101Gold101 Member Posts: 22
    Hi everyone,
    Yesterday at the NY autoshow I got to sin the 6. My belief is that this car will truly kill the Accords/Camry's of thr world. First off, the hatchback is absolutely beautiful. The one there had a metallic yellow paint that was just stunning. The interior materials are excellent, about on-par with the Passat, and easily better than the Accord or Camry. The silver trim looks and feels expensive, and the seat leather is soft, yet durable. The seats offer good lateral support. The gauge cluster appears to be well layed-out, and the steering wheel feels great, as does the shifter. I realize my "review" is vague and somewhat short, but I only had about 5 minutes in the car. The Mazda rep told me to look for the car in about 6 months. In other news, the RX-8 is HOT, and the Mazdaspeed protege is a hell of a value! Absolutely stunning. I've never been keen on Mazda(except the RX-7 and Miata), but my perception is changing........ They're on a kick!
  • subzero206subzero206 Member Posts: 111
    in what way are they going to kill ACcords/Camrys? i like the 6 as much as anyone but i doubt it will outsell those 2. it will outperform the camry but not the 03 Accord which will have 240hp. interior is nice but whats up with the plain jane guage cluster. looks wise i agree its stunningly beautiful.
  • verozahlverozahl Member Posts: 574
    ... compared to what you see over in GM-land with Pontiacs.

The Mazda 6 needs to bring over its Japan-market name ('Atenza')... and it needs good marketing. The 6 will not compete with Camry, Accord, and Altima necessarily... it's smaller and sportier than that. Mazda's latest 626 was too plain even for Accord owners!
  • verozahlverozahl Member Posts: 574
    ... the ION center-placement cluster is still completely idiotic. Automakers looking for 'something different' [i.e. Mazda] should NOT copy this insanity!
    posted a few more pics from the auto show today...don't panic if you see a few things other than than the mazda 6....but the 6 seems to be a big hit at the show.

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4291945243

Rich

• subzero206subzero206 Member Posts: 111
    that speedMPV looks cool
    At least the older 626 let you mate a 5 speed manual to the V6. Honda didn't, and Toyota did only with the CE model (and not at all any more). Same with Mitsubishi.

-juice
  • ashutoshsmashutoshsm Member Posts: 1,007
    Its official that manual and automatic transmissions will be available with both (4cyl and 6cyl) engines.

And I feel sorry for anyone that feels more hp in one car implies that it 'outperforms' another car. The 6 should outhandle anything in its class 9and many more expensive cars) while still matching the utility they (other cars) prvide - and usually exceeding it (with the wagon and hatchback)
    The mazda wagon at the ny auto show was a 5 speed with the 6cyl. engine
    (perhaps Rich - audia8q - can confirm this)
    The rep at the Mazda display was very confident when he said the hatch would be available before the wagon.

Less than 6 months for the Sedan, early (perhaps march) 2003 for the hatchback and 3-6 more months for the wagon.

I sat in the front and the back, and played witht eh hatch and the awesome one-touch folding seats ni the yellow hatchback on the floor. Amazing overall interior quality for a car in this class, excellent rich and comfortable feel inside, available stick shift with all engine versions, and the (promised) great handling - as value for money, this will certainly challenge the Accord/Camry/Altima and should wrest sales away from them.

The Mazda displays were VERY crowded, if at all that's an indication of popularity.
    A hatch would be fine, but a V6/5 speed manual combination is a must.

I'm actually going to the NY show tomorrow, all the way from DC, by train for the day. So I'll get to see it in person for the first time.

-juice
    I am driving to NY city this coming Saturday to see the NYIAS. I can't wait to go! :) I always have wanted to go to a big International auto show like that one, and this year I definitely am. I am driving up and staying the night.
    Sweet. I've been to the DC Auto Show a couple of times, but it's at the end of the year and gets left overs from NY and Detroit. Also went to the Philly Show last year, and they actually had some minor debuts.

But NY is huge, I believe it's the biggest.

-juice
    yes, the sedan is first apx late november 2002...then apx. 6 months later the 5 door arrives then the wagon about 6 after that. This is subject to changes. It was only a few months ago the sedan was the only one we were getting in the US but they quickly changed that to include all three models.

Every dealer who has seen the car is begging mazda to speed up our launch but the current 626 production schedule and plant change over will take up most of this year...It will be a huge push for mazda to meet the planned launch.....but the cars "buzz" might do wonders about speeding things up!!
  • csuftitanscsuftitans Member Posts: 215
    Wow, that's the lowest hatchback door opening that i've seen in a hatchback. Most/all hatchback that I've owned (626 and Astinas) have high openings, so loading big/heavy items is very hard, but this new 6 hatchback opening is like in a wagon; very cool. From the looks of the pics that Rich took (Thanks for the pics Rich), looks like the new 6 hatchback has a lot more cargo space than a Protege5; I think my wife would like that :-). Now it's either the hatchback or the wagon for us.
    BTW, on the pics of the rear seats in the sedan, was that a rear speaker that I see? If it is, hope that's just addition to 4 infront and 2 more in the back; total of 8; very nice. BTW, Rich, did you notice any tweeter in the front door/dash?
    All I can say is "wow". Very impressive. My interest only grew after seeing it in person.

First off, the car is gorgeous. I takes the cake for best looking mainsteam sedan, 5 door, wagon, whatever. Beautiful!

The interior is nice, too. Materials are better than Altima, not quite Passat, but easily acceptable. Shifter felt good, seats are supportive.

Wagon had a cool feature - you press a button at the rear, and voila! The seats pop down. They are sprung, or something, it's really neat. You can do it with one finger. Lots of nice touches like that.

Rear seat is roomier than Outback, though the cargo area isn't quite as big as an Outback. If passenger space is more important to you, here is your ride.

Hatch had a wide opening, good space, more so than the sedan.

The yellow color had a subtle metallic tint, it was BEAUTIFUL! Rich, please BEG Mazda to use this color. Best color at the whole show!

Overall you can tell I was very impressed. Better in every way than our 1995 626 ES V6.

-juice
    If I recall correctly, there were 8 bose speakers - tweeter and driver in front, one each in rear door and deck. Or perhaps the deck had no speakers. Anyone remember clearly?

The crowd and excitement around the 6 was pretty amazing, it was tough to get a look at everything I wanted to!

I do agree about the seats though - childishly easy to fold and raise, and perfectly flat too!

And the overal materials' quality was definitely satisfactory, although not plush by any standards. About thrice as good as an Altimas LOL.

The navigations screen that popped up was neat (on the dash, middle), but the DVD system takes some space away in the front glovebox. I liked the feel of the controls, and buttons to open and close the glovebox etc.
    Man, you guys make me want to have this car now. I'm still waiting for Mazda to bring this car to a car show to the west coast, so I canshow my wife the cool one-touch "down boy" rear seatback on the hatch and wagon.
  • tomd13tomd13 Member Posts: 2
    Hi,

Fellow mazda fans of the upcoming "6"...I recently read a

good article about the 6..check out this link:

http://carseverything.com/content/search/results/article/1346/

Tom D.

• ickes_in_mnickes_in_mn Member Posts: 40
    the interior of the Mazda6 does look really impressive in terms of materials and fit/finish details. For anyone that sat in the car, how does the width compare with an Accord or Passat?
    Better than the Accord, not quite up to Passat levels.

Give them credit though, many makes have been cost cutting so it was much better than I expected.

-juice
  • ickes_in_mnickes_in_mn Member Posts: 40
    I meant how does the width (or other dimensions) compare with Accord and Passat...
    Anyone have dimensions?

Subjectively it felt roomy, not as airy as the Altima but roomier than the old 626.

-juice
    Here are the stats that I have...

All are sedan numbers.

186.8'' long
    105.3 wheelbase
    56.7 height
    width 70.1
    width mirror to mirror 77.7
    ground clearance loaded...5.1
    front leg room (left) 42.3
    front shoulder 56.1
    front head room 38.0 / 38.7 no moonroof
    rear leg room 36.5
    rear shoulder room 54.9
    rear headroom 37.1
    luggage area...
    load length, rear seat up 42.5
    overall load width 55.5
    trunk volume 15.2 cu. ft.
    fuel capacity 20 gallons
    turning circle 19.4

hope this helps!!

Rich
    Thanks, Rich, it sure does. The trunk has a much better volume than our '95 626, and the wheelbase is longer and you can tell in the back seat.

The gas tank is also bigger - the old one only seems to hold 15-16 gallons or so.

-juice
    I sat in the Mazda6 at the NYIAS and it was pretty nice. It's not as posh as a Passat inside (I don't think so anyway) but it was pretty nice.
  • tiredofmanualtiredofmanual Member Posts: 338
    The Chicago show had but one Mazda6 and it was up on a rotating pedestal so I couldn't really see the interior and definitely couldn't touch it.

It is my opinion that VW/Audi is the best in the biz when it comes to interiors so we shouldn't quite expect those levels yet, right? Maybe over time...

I'm getting antsy over the 6. I've pretty much decided that my next car will either be an A4 or the 6, depending of course on the execution of both over the next year and a half. Mazda has announced a 270 HP turbo version of the 6 with all-wheel drive, hopefully it will be sold in the USA (or at least the all wheel drive bits). That would make my decision easier!
  • carspy01carspy01 Member Posts: 137
    OK, here it is, the official German link to the Mazda 6-galleries. Play around and have fun. Please make sure you'll click on "Allgemein" to watch the videos. They take some time, but video 2 is great for some interior shots.

As always, at your service... :-) carspy01

http://www.mazda6.de/de/gallery/default.asp

I thought I read somewhere that Mazda USA is intended to bring a Mazdaspeed version of every Mazda model. If this is the case, then we'll probably see a Mazdaspeed 6 in our future and that's porbably the 270HP AWD that you're talkign about.
  • newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
    They have video of the 6 on Mazda's USA site and you don't even need to know German. ;0
  • fwatsonfwatson Member Posts: 639
    Now that's turning on a dime. :)
    I usually don't like spoilers, but the one on the yellow hatch looks good.

-juice
    Come on, there has to be something new. We have to keep this thread off the 2nd topic page!

The 6 will weigh in at around 3000 pounds - pretty good for a car of it's size. I'm now wondering which engine is the better choice - the 2.3 should be able to give good performance and be a bit more tossable in the twisties. It probably will also be the aftermarket's choice, don't you think? A nice turbo would compliment it (if the Mazdaspeed turbo 6 doesn't show up on our shores). It should also have better gas mileage.
    Given TRD is a success, Nismo's arrival, and Subaru's SPT division, I think Mazdaspeed ought to sell performance parts right out of dealerships.

Sure, a kit for the 4 banger would be a start, but I still want the 6. Give me 4 pot brakes and bigger sway bars.

-juice
    And the torque of the V6 would probably sway me in that direction, but I think I would want to drive both to see what they are like.

Also, a low boost turbo or a supercharger will have a nice effect on the V6 as well, but I wonder about room under the hood for them.

Anyone hear about a limited slip option? I would hope that if so it is the Torsen/Quaife style and not one of those clutch-type differentials.
    The 4 banger would be lighter and have less torque steer, but a turbo would make torque steer worse than the V6.

Hmm, low boost, not a bad idea. Make it like VW's or Volvo's, good torque and easily chipped.

I bet Mazda uses traction control to manage the axle. Managed diffys are heavier and pricier.

-juice ('93 Miata rear LSD, '98 Subaru viscous coupling center diffy)
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    Mazdaspeed 3 they are using a LSD to keep both wheels stuck to the pavement. I'm sure an MS 6 would get that at minimum if not AWD.
    Didn't realize the 3 got the LSD. Saw it in NY and it looked good, had crowds gathered around it and the 6.

-juice
    Perhaps Mazda has a more advanced traction control system than I've ever seen, but all the traction control systems I've seen use either just individual brakes or a combination of individual brakes and engine speed control to reduce slippage. This is not at all usefull in high performance situations. If you're powering out of a turn at your local autocross, you don't want the car to apply the inside front brake, you want a Torsen-type differential to smoothly transfer most of the power to the outside wheel.

The Quaife differential for the MTX-75 (Focus transmission) weighs in at around 17 pounds, but the performance is definitely worth the weight penalty.

It is true that LSD diffies are expensive - ranging from ~$700 for a Quaife for the Focus (thanks to a production ramp-up since it was chosen to be used in the Focus RS) up to $1300 or more. Installation costs are a moot point if you put it in at the factory, but aftermarket installation is going to run $600 - $1200. If Mazda offered a Quaife differential as a factory option, I would definitely order it in addition to traction control (as long as the traction control can be defeated).
    While I agree, I don't expect to see lots of Mazda 6s at the local autocross. Mazdaspeed 3, Miata, and the new RX, yes. Even regular Protoges, more often than the 6.

-juice
    I wouldn't expect to see too many of them at the local autocross, but I was using that to emphasize my point. Both systems strive to meet the same goal, they just go about it differently. In my perfect world the 6 would have both systems.

Let me give another example where traction control is not necessarily the best choice:
    I often find myself needing to find a hole in traffic so I can pull out into the road. Sometimes I have to accelerate pretty quickly to avoid an accident (other option would be waiting half an hour for traffic to clear sufficiently) and when I do this the inside wheel of my Focus always spins. If I had the traction control option on my Focus, most likely it would have applied a little brake pressure on the inside wheel and slowed the engine down a tad. I would have regained traction but at the expense of acceleration - this could force the person behind me to have to slow down or even worse. A limited slip would have been the better choice in this instance.
    As far as midsize sedans go, I would expect to see the 6 being used more often for "speed competitions" more than other midsize sedans (with the possible exception of the 3-series and the A4). It is smaller and lighter than the Camry and Altima (and likely the new Accord too) and will have the Mazda handling and braking advantage over them as well. It should be a lot of fun to drive and I wouldn't doubt it if a lot of the hatchback owners were driving enthusiasts that take it to the track every once in a while. I hope Mazda recognizes this and builds in extra capabilities for us. Things like the ability to get a Quaife easily installed and a stock fuel system that can flow enough fuel reliably for, say, 350 HP because you know I want to slap on a turbo (I have an evil grin right now) with out many issues (warranty? whats a warranty?)
  • tchootchoo Member Posts: 93
    Quote from Autospeed:

"It's the news that will have driving enthusiasts across the country cheering! Mazda is planning an assault on the performance market, with a range of powerful, lightweight cars.

The attack will be based on the company's daring new vehicle line-up, which will slowly be revealed to the public over the next 18 months. Sporty derivatives are being developed under the brand name Mazda Performance Series (MPS), and first to hit the road will be a souped-up version of the 6.