Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda6 Sedan

Comments

• dinu01dinu01 Member Posts: 2,586
    The mudguards are realy easy to install - they're $50-70 for a set of 2. I installed them on my PRO in 10 mins.

As for your other question, they don't charge you labour for it - it's included in the price.

My spoiler was dealer-pained and installed: they made a great colour match and it's hasn't transformed into a boomernag so far, so they did a good job. It was $500 for mine (raised, but again for a PRO not 6).

The spoiler installation will take 2-3 days... (for the pain to dr properly).

Are you picking it up this coming week?

Dinu
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    Plz don't pass along bad information, there is too much misinformation info going around about this car already....vin numbers are NOT assigned the minute the car is orders. The vin # is assigned when the car is allocated and scheduled to be built.
  • ruefusruefus Member Posts: 254
    That is the second time you've felt it necessary to try putting me in my place. Get lost.

I did not say they were assigned AT order - what I said was "VIN's are assigned right after a car is ordered." That is entirely accurate. Sometimes it's a week, as it was in my case, and sometimes it's a couple weeks. But it isn't a long time.

If after TEN weeks a VIN hasn't been assigned, it's more than a little likely that what the dealer is saying is bunk.
    lets not get huffy and because your not familiar with how the allocation system works....if the dealer does not have the earned allocation it does not matter if the dealer has a million orders....mazda will only allocate what is earned by the dealer.

and again, the vin number is NOT assinged right after the order is placed. only once the car is scheduled, this could be the next day, next week, next month or longer, if the dealer does not have the earned allocation.... you said it was assigned "right after" the order is placed....do you define "right after" as instantly, 3 days, a week or a month or 4 months???? most people would assume that right after means just that...not a week or month down the road...

if after ten weeks there is still no vin# it tells me that the dealer does not have earned allocation to get the car and or mazda has exceeded build specs for that package...
  • ruefusruefus Member Posts: 254
    If the dealer didn't have allocation - they would likely know that when they ordered it and certainly after 10 weeks. Dealers need to be able to plan inventory levels just like anyone else.

Don't want me to get all huffy? Then leave me alone. Otherwise, when it's you talking, plan on it.
  • joe2617joe2617 Member Posts: 88
    Dealers do not know what their allocation will be before hand. Our Mazda rep. provides us with a list of what we earned and then we can order. 10 weeks is a few allocations so something is up if theres still no VIN. Is this an S-plan deal?
  • lapis_bluelapis_blue Member Posts: 23
    Thanks for all your responses.

Yes, i did put a $1000 deposit down and i was provided with a VIN about a week ago. The funny thing is that i looked at the Mazdausa online inventory a couple of days ago, and my car is showing up there. Unfortunately it just hasn't shown up on the dealers lot yet.

I know the salesman has been messing around with me, but he's just such an outwardly nice guy. I called him today and he told me he'd provide me with a loaner car until mine arrives. I'm going to go down to the dealership in a couple of hours and pick this mystery car up. Hopefully i'll be able to get the full story on what's going on - i'll keep you all posted.

Oh and someone asked if this is a GM dealership as well, the answer is no. They sell Volvo's and Mazda's.
    your right...also don't forget to mention that the priority code in which the car was ordered matters too....I can put a '1' priority on the order and it will get picked up first or I can put any number up to 999 and the higher the number the less likelyhood the car will get built....most dealers put the highest priorities on the biggest profit sales. the ones not picked up get dumped by mazda into 999 status which means they are not going to build the car...then the next allocation the dealer must go in and chagne the priotity again and re-submit to see if it gets pick up. If the dealer does not change the priority then the car wont get pick up.....this is the one area on a factory order than a dealer can slow things up.
    if you email me the vin number I will be glad to see where your car is....also let me know what state your in.

Rich
  • carguy58carguy58 Member Posts: 2,303
    bigger profit...the faster it gets built. Makes sense. It shouldn't be that way. It should be who orders before who. Say somebody gives you 1,000 dollars over invoice for a car than 2 days later somebody gives you 1300 dollars over invoice I think the person who orders the car 2 days before even though the profit is less should get their car first. Basically first come first serve. Thats honesty. However this is coorperate america were talking about here.

To Mazda salesman on this board: is there alot interest in the 6? Are you guys selling them consistently? I'm curious to know how sales are for this car since I have only seen some on the road.
  • mpiatekmpiatek Member Posts: 68
    I wanted to clear up the reason that I even contacted Fitzgerald Automall. The problem is that in Tucson, AZ, there are 2 Mazda dealers, and they are both owned by the same company. This company has a markup of $800 for every car they sell (at their Mazda dealers and other dealers they own) for some paint protection (wax) and apolstry stain gaurd (as far as I can tell they are spraying stain gaurd on the seats). Neither of these cost anywhere near $800 (I could probably do it myself for $20). Also, I've been hearing from other people along with seeing the price on Edmunds and CarsDirect.com that a lot of people are paying MSRP for this car. If there is a dealer out there that will sell them at $250 over invoice, I'll be interested at least to get a quote from them to use as bargaining power. I'm not planning to pay much over invoice, and certainly not $800 over invoice (if the local dealer wanted me to pay invoice for the car plus $800 for their dealer install options).

Hopefully none of this will be necessary and I'll be able to bargain them down to $500 or less over invoice, but I want a backup plan just in case. Before going to Maryland, I will probably check dealers in Phoenix as well, but I haven't gotten in touch with any dealers up there yet.

Anyway, I hope that clears things up a little bit. I'm probably going to order my Mazda 6 next weekend (going out this weekend to test drive some other cars to make sure that the 6 is "the one"). I'll let you know how things go at the local dealer.

Ohh, and jht, we'll have to see about letting you pick up the car in Maryland... :-)

Mike
    my line about the highest profit deals go first was a little tongue in cheek...I have a sarcastic sence of humor that often does not get picked up with typed words...
  • fowler3fowler3 Member Posts: 1,919
    When you type and want to put in a "tongue in cheek" emphasis type this at the end :^)

The ^ is your tongue.

People who have spent many hours in chat rooms know how to add expressions. They are called smilies. Tilt your head to the left to see the expressions.

;) = wink

:^) = tongue in cheek

>( = frown

:D = big smile

:P = sticking out tongue

fowler3 ;)
  • joe2617joe2617 Member Posts: 88
    The dealers prioritize their ordered cars according to which car they want more (more popular trim levels) . Dealers can order only so many in their allocation and they can't order them all loaded. If I order a manual transmission Sport pkg. car and don't put a high priority on it, I won't get it. Just because a dealer orders a car a certain way doesn't mean it will be built that way, that is where the prioity sys. applies to dealers. Sold vehicles are given a priority by Mazda. I know this is hard to follow but I'm trying to explain as best I can.
  • gee35coupegee35coupe Member Posts: 3,387
    Most loaded cars out first since they had the most profit. If Mazda had stuck to that they would have done a little better on the intro.
  • jhtlagjhtlag Member Posts: 39
    (of course, we didn't say we'd take the shortest route)

jht
    Thanks for the info on the computer expressions but regretfully the symbols are just a little to computer geeky for me...haha I forget that the non-regulars on edmunds don't know my weird sarcastic sense of humor.

lapis....the info on your car is in your emailbox. Hope it's helpful and it will be there soon.
    So, basically its the most popular trim levels that get put on the line first in Flat Rock. If that trim level is not in high demand you have to wait a while more.
  • igota6ssssssigota6ssssss Member Posts: 9
    I traded my 99 Miata (stick) for my 6S (auto) and haven't regretted it for a second. I test drove 2 6i's with manual trans. and it just didn't feel right. I'm sure the Miata's "joystick" shifter spoiled me for other manual transmissions...I loved the short throws in the Miata and felt the throws in the 6 were just too long. I tried the auto, played around with the "manual mode" and found I could kick the gear down to raise rpm above 3000, and I could have plenty of punch to perform whatever maneuver I wanted (passing, or just playing speed racer).

As for the 17" tires, I think they probably produce more road noise and maybe more stiffness, but compared to the Miata, it's like driving my Dad's Mercedes. Plus, the look awesome on the car! I love it more and more every day.

I love the look of the leather and find them quite comfortable. I never tested the cloth, so I can't compare.

Back to the Bose discussion. When I first listened to it at the dealer, it sounded very "muddy". When I mentioned that to the sales person, he showed me how to change the settings and when I re adjusted it, it now sounds very good. The 6 disc changer works flawlessly, and I'm extremely pleased with the system overall. As someone mentioned, I can always go to a stereo dealer and change speakers.

I've had my 6S for 4 weeks now, and feel bad for the people having to wait for the cars they ordered. I considered ordering one so I could have the manual, but am SO glad I got over my obsession with the stick and went for the auto and bought it right away.

Good luck to all of you on finding your "perfect" 6!
    Thats not always the case. In 1998 I went to a Nissan Dealer in Somerville, NJ. I wanted to a see a stripped down Altima. They had one with mudguards and everything else. I just wanted to see a stripped down model. Like Mazda Nissan doesn't have alot of lot space. Honda and Toyota deapers have good lot space. Anyways, Also went to a Honda dealer to go look at an Accord. They had everything you needed and nothing you don't. Same thing with the 626. It had everything in it and nothing I didn't need. It didn't have floor mats standard. That was my only complaint. Floor mats are standard in a basic model 6 I hope. So, not always loaded models sell. Its just that the 6 looks better with the sport package than without. I have seen in it with and without the sport package now. I wish they would they would make the cladding a stand alone option. That would help alot. Sunroof should be stand alone too.

One thing I would like to know is how come Nissan is not getting backlash the way Mazda is for their option packages. Nissan otion packages are worse than Mazda's. So how does Nissan sell 150,000 Altima's last year and the 6 everybody is going crazy over option packages? I've looked at the Altima board and nobody is complaining about option packages. I find that weird. I know the 6's option packages are crazy but Nissan's are worse.
  • r2s2r2s2 Member Posts: 93
    Looked at an Automotive News today. They said that about 12000 6's (nothing on model mix of course) were manufactured at AutoAlliance between January 1 and February 15. That's about 8K per month, which is the rate at which they hope to sell the cars. Sounds like they're up to speed, and we'll have more of these puppies to admire and choose from before long . . .
  • lapis_bluelapis_blue Member Posts: 23
    Sorry to keep on breaking up the line of conversation, but i just want to let you all know what happened. I arrived at the dealership during a semi-snow storm (i'm from a tropical climate, it seemed like a lot of snow) and was provided with a Mazda Truck until my car arrives. The salesman kept insisting that my 6s is on its way down from Washington State, although i know for a fact that it is coming from Flat Rock (because audia8q very kindly looked up the information for me.)Anyway, all i know is that i'm never going to work with this dealership again. The only thing i can take solace in is the fact that i'm am going to have a freaking awesome car within the next week or so!
  • skyrayskyray Member Posts: 156
    Got my Steel Gray 6s yesterday. Base model, pretty much, except I had the lip spoiler installed, and I'll be returning to the dealer in late March to have the MP3 player and compass/autodim mirror installed.

Wow, what a fun ride home. When I test-drove the car I was trying to push it, so I was on back roads hugging curves. I hadn't done highway cruising. I'm surprised about the reviewer complaints about a "stiff ride" -- either it's the 17" wheels on the sport package (I have the 16s) or the Accord must be as mushy as my dad's caddy on a bumpy road. Compared to our Saab 9-3, the 6s is whisper-quiet and a smoooth ride. (And compared to my Miata, it's a different world.)

Comfortable, handles well, more power than I need, and looks great. I'm pleased. :-)
  • windy6windy6 Member Posts: 57
    Skyray and Miatato6sss. More affirmation that Miata drivers can appreciate an appropriately "sporty" sedan. Especially one done at a reasonable price. I guess tomorrow I'll take the wife down and we'll do some comparison driving between the base and the S, also between the I4 and the V6
    windy6
  • jtkz13jtkz13 Member Posts: 51
    It also is a major cluster-bleep, not much unlike the 6. I had to special order my 3.5SE because they couldnt find one in the midwest that had the leather/sport package, 5 speed manual trans, and ABS/side airbags. The biggest issue, surprisingly was the ABS. I could not believe that ABS was not standard on a $27k car. That was rediculous. I had to shell out like $900 to get ABS and the included side air bags. Oh well, mine should be here within 2 weeks.

Just be happy you can get such a cool car and still be able to haul some people in it. :)
  • aromasaromas Member Posts: 314
    I picked up my car today, silver V6 without the ground effects. It was killing me taking it easy on the way home but this car is so nimble it was a joy even at low speeds. Loved the stares I was getting on the way home. I don't find the ride any stiffer with 17" wheels than my former 16" Legacy GT. I know alot of people like the GFX package but this car looks really sleek and muscular without it and I think it will age better IMO(some people thinks it looks bland that way but pictures don't do it justice especially with the 17" rims)

The high radio display didn't bother me and I got used to it within minutes. I'm not an audiophile but even the stock system was more than adequate for me. All my friends who saw it just said "WOW" and were even more impressed when they drove it. Man this car sticks to the road and to think I almost went for the Maxima S.E. I know alot of people don't like the chrome mustache but I think it actually blends well with a silver car so I won't be getting the sport grille. Ordered a lip spoiler and auto-dimming mirror which should come in a couple of weeks. Also got wheel locks.

I had complained before that I didn't see any 6's on the road but of course on my way home I drove past a yellow one with GFX, you could see it coming a mile away.

Dinu: The lip spoiler comes already painted to the dealer but they are charging me 2 hours labour for that and the mirror. They wanted to charge 4 hours but I squawked and got it down to 2 hours so I'm suprised that they didn't charge you labour. Don't want to wait for aftermarket ones.

P.S. I LOVE THIS CAR INSIDE AND OUT!
  • chikoochikoo Member Posts: 3,008
    how good does the beige leather look/feel like?
    is it anywhere like the Accord EXv6 beige leather?
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Member Posts: 2,287
    According to today's Detroit News, Charlie Hughes was terminated due, at least in part, to low sales. Their source is Charlie himself. And it WAS an abrupt termination. In part, the mix of Mazda6's built (more 4s and less V6's, not as loaded as customers apparently prefer) contributed.

Here's the link:

http://www.detnews.com/2003/autosinsider/0303/02/b01-97401.htm
  • kyjd75kyjd75 Member Posts: 10
    We've had our Mazda6s for about a week now (steel gray, black leather, sports package, bose, moon roof, AT). Although it is my wife's car (presumably) I took it out yesterday to see what all the fuss is about. What an amazing performer. The handling and stability at speed is very impressive. This car begs to be driven FAST! (85-90 seems to be a minimum cruising speed). The steering is particularly impressive, and very similar to our old 528i in feel. The ride is firm, but not uncomfortable, and the seats are great. This is one very impressive little car. And, as I posted last week, we paid $400 over invoice for the car (central Ky).
  • stretchsjestretchsje Member Posts: 700
    ...and it sounds good so far.
  • jhtlagjhtlag Member Posts: 39
    If you come out of retirement I guess you're doing it for the challenge, almost kinda wonder if Mazda didn't have the same attitude that this guy was temporary help in a sense so a "sudden" firing is not all that remarkable.

What I do find remarkable is just what they mentioned (mentioned before here on Edmunds) they advertise one thing (performance, fully loaded, MT's etc.) then deliver something else to the dealerships. Not just 6s' but 6i's for that matter. Makes me think way back when Ford came out with the Exp to respond to the "wedge" car designs such as Fiat's X1/9. Apparently, half way through design they decide it would be an "economy" car. Really confused concept switch. Did Mazda do the same thing advertising the sports car while providing family haulers to the dealerships? (This may be a common problem, people want to be excited about the car they buy, but when the checkbooks come out they get real practical)

jht
  • bostongiobostongio Member Posts: 52
    If you do a search at The Detroit News Web site on Mazda, you'll come across two other articles, one stating that sales for Mazda were projected to be up 15% for the year, which, in combination with the other article that notes US auto makers' sales were down by 4% last year.

Mazda sees US sales rise 15% on new models:
    http://www.detnews.com/2003/autosinsider/0302/04/autos-76946.htm

US automakers' sales fall in 2002:
    http://www.detnews.com/2003/autosinsider/0301/04/autos-51260.htm

Given these kinds of articles, Mazda's CEO's departure seems a little odd.
    have been down because its part of Mazda's fault and the market. The Domestic Big 3 have that Buy American Theme going for them and Honda and Toyota cusomers stay loyal. Hyundai and Kia has 10 year powertrain warranty. Mitsubishi has that 0/0/0 thing going for them. Mazda really doesn't fit anywhere. Also Ford is to blame as well. In 1993 they made Mazda rebadge the Ford Ranger as their pick-up. Mazda had previously made their own pick-up truck. The big blow was the Ford Tranny starting in 1994 which was used in the MX-6 and 626 4 cyl auto models which cost Mazda customers because the tranny's were very unreliable. Than Mazda has themselves to blame with the dissapointing sales of the 95-98 Protege than the 95 Millenia had dissapointing sales too. Mazda sales did make a comeback from 1998-2001. 2002 was dissapointing because of the Mazda Tribute's stalling problems. Anybody notice the big decline in Mazda sales from one year to another(1994 to 1995.) That is a drastic decline in sales.
    I don't believe Mazda even said that. Thats a tall order for this company.
  • dinu01dinu01 Member Posts: 2,586
    Congrats!

I'll keep an eye out for you!

Enjoy the driving!

Dinu
    Mazda sent me more stuff in the mail today. It seems like every week I'm getting something new!

This week I got a blue LED keychain and an RX-8 / Mazda6 review packet of information. The RX-8 looks outstanding! It was sort of like a newsletter- a guy talked of putting 400,000 miles on his Miata before selling it to a good friend. It also talked about the upcoming "RevItUp" promotion. I also received the new warranty booklet as I was told I would- my car came with outdated warranty information, not the new 4 year, 50k mile one.

My wife said, "I want a Mazda! Toyota never sends me cool stuff!"
  • gee35coupegee35coupe Member Posts: 3,387
    I get quite a bit too. I guess it's from our Protege purchase and the fact I redeem all my test drive certificates.
  • mazdafunmazdafun Member Posts: 2,329
    ...are they 5-spd MANUALS?

Maple Shade is I think where my '6 came from. My dealer traded them a Miata to get it.
  • toneetouchtoneetouch Member Posts: 60
    it's great that there are so many new 6 owners posting on this board. please keep your personal impressions coming, cuz it's cool to hear from people that actually drive the car daily and know it intimately, esp. for dreamers like me who only fantasize about getting the 6.

and all of you love your cars, too!
  • toneetouchtoneetouch Member Posts: 60
    just wondering what your impressions are of the look of the 6 with no body cladding and with the lip-spoiler? ever consider getting the sport-grill? any chance of posting any pics? thanks much.
    W/o the sport kit and with the lip spoiler, that is.

BMW is marketing their Z4 as a land shark. As if. The 6 equipped as noted above is much more shark-like.
  • cookie01cookie01 Member Posts: 369
    Okay, I did it!! the Steel Gray M6s w/sport, cloth and Bose is now MINE!
    I flew an hour to Spokane, Wash., on Saturday morning as was picked up at the airport by the internet sales guy in my car. It was foggy and a bit icy, so I had him drive it back to the dealer. Filled out a few papers, wrote a check, went over the features of the car, had them wipe out the insides (it had been snowing and rainy in Spokane the last week and there was some rain splashes on the door sills and dust and foot prints on the door.) and off I went. All together it took about 1 hour, 15 minutes at the dealership. Sweet.
    Got onto the freeways and headed back home for a 5.5 hour drive. All of this was freeway, so I had to vary my speed a lot as to not screw up the engine. I did all sorts of speeds, 60, 65, 80, and even topped 100 a few times. These roads are out in the middle of NO WHERE with no cars around and perfectly flat and level ground. When I topped 100 I did it only for a 1/2 minute and basically only to see what the ride was like and what she'd sound like at that speed.
    Flawless. Really the tach wasn't much over 3000 rpm even at 100 mph. The engine sounds the same and the ride was just as quiet at that high of a speed. The car seemed to be perfect at 80 mph (just like someone said before). Luckily the speed limit was 70 out there, so I felt like I could hover around 80 without getting too much notice.
    The car is very quiet. I have the 17 inch wheels, and the difference is in going over bumpy patches or potholes. Here it's a bit harsh, and a little louder, but on regular pavement they're a dream. My Impala's tires were WAY more noisy and rode rough on groved pavement. (Johncline, you might notice I make a lot of comparisons between the two cars, might only help you... but hey, whatever).
    The Bose is GREAT!! and of course I used it quite a bit on that long drive. The sound is clear and very precise. I picked things out of songs that I'd not EVER heard in my Impala stereo.

I got the cloth seats. I like cloth better for a lot of reasons, but I noticed when I first drove the car a month ago, that the cloth and the seat material is much more "sport" than my Impala seats. I was afraid they'd be hard and uncomfortable. Well, I'm not a young kid, and as I said before, I've had back problems, but when I stepped out of that car after 5+ hours on the road I didn't have ONE problem. No sore back, no tired buns, no neck issues, nothing! Big surprise.

Things I would change: I really liked DRLights in my GM. I liked that the lights came on automatically when it got dark enough. I'll miss that.
    The center armrest is sorta small. Basically only my elbow gets to use it. But if it were any bigger you wouldn't be able to use the cup holders, and they're very good cupholders.

Interiors lights: I love that the car has individual lights for the back seat passengers. It was a selling point for me. Most cars do not. However, in the GM, those lights would go off automatically if you forgot and left them on after leaving the car. I can't tell if the Mazda does this or not. The owners manual says they'll turn off if you leave the door open... but nothing about just turning off if you forget.

I only got about 17-18 mpg on this first trip of about 440 miles. I'm sure that will pick up once the car is more "aged."
    Sorry this is so long.(not as long as my first drive tho!!)
    like others have said I LOVE THIS CAR!!

And I'm glad I didn't wait for my "area" dealer to maybe come up with one in a month or three.
    cookie....congrats on the new car...

and nobody is buying your line about driving at 100mph for half a minute..haha My contacts at NORAD clocked you for much longer.

rich
  • cookie01cookie01 Member Posts: 369
    Felt like half a minute ;)zzzzzzzzzzzzoom..
  • combustible1combustible1 Member Posts: 264
    nice review!!! thanks :)

happy to see you got through your transaction ok.. flying to buy a car seems a little scary to me. not the flying.. but the added complication of it all.

Glad to hear that, well, you didn't HEAR much noise on the road, as this is a concern of mine. I find it curious that "official" reviews often site a greater loudness factor as compared to the 6 competitors. Yet, most 6 owners seem to give the 6 much better grade on this point. hmm?

Please tell, is the wind noise at high speed low too?

I'm a little concerned about the low highway mileage though.. please update us on your mileage again after a little time has gone by.
  • redkey1redkey1 Member Posts: 270
    I seem to be getting the old site, not the new one. Is the new site down?
    I like the level of sound abatement on the 6. Not too much, lets in some road noise to keep you connected. It's definitely hushed, and the engine, exhaust and road noises are nice, if you're into actually hearing what your car is doing. :)

Camry and Accord have their place, but they're too quiet and disconnected for my taste. However, if I had an operation, I'd like to be taken home in as smooth and compliant a car as possible (apparently, I groaned at every little road imperfection after my knee surgery...hey, I was still groggy on anesthetic...I don't remember a thing about the ride home).
  • 626to6626to6 Member Posts: 14
    "Hey 626to6 and any other buyers in Houston. Did you get your deal done? Happy with the experience and price?"

If all goes well I will make my purchase next week. I'll be working on financing with my credit union this week before I go into the dealership. I want to get in and get out with no hassle.

I will post my results ASAP.

Wish me luck!
  • mazdamarlamazdamarla Member Posts: 350
    When I tried earlier today, I got the old website. :-( Hope they fix it soon!