Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda6 Wagon

Comments

• regfootballregfootball Member Posts: 2,166
    toyota does sell the corolla as a wagon in Europe....you just can't get it here.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    You can buy Subaru Legacys all day long for 20k (imprezzas are cheaper still). You can get them for 18k if you really shop, and prefer a 5-speed. The Vibe/Matrix are also under 20k w/ AWD. The Honda Element is also well under 20k with AWD. You can even get the rare Jeep Liberty for 20k, or a RAV4.

Plenty of choices.
  • joey2brixjoey2brix Member Posts: 463
    I realy meant AWD AND V6. Then I realized the Suzuki XL7 and Vitara's are probably under 20K now. The 6 wagon will be V6 only I think.
  • nedzelnedzel Member Posts: 787
    Don't hold your breath. Which is too bad. As others noted, the US Accord is unique to the US. The Acura TSX is based on the smaller euro accord. The euro accord wagon is based on the euro accord, so there is no wagon version of the US accord. I'd love to see one here, but I doubt Honda will do it. Too bad.
  • herzogtum71herzogtum71 Member Posts: 470
    It would be nice if they sold an updated version of the old Corolla wagon in North America with smart airbags, CD player, rear cupholders, etc. I've never cracked 40 mpg on a tank of gas, but I have averaged just over 35 mpg for the 108K on the odometer.
       We have a 4WD Matrix (well under $20K), and we like it. But the cargo area is quite small. It is billed as a "Corolla wagon" but it's not the same car.
       I also prefer 4 cylinders, but I'm not going to rule out the V6 before I see what kind of gas mileage it will deliver. The V6 in my father's Buick will deliver 35+ mpg on the highway, so you're not necessarily sacrificing much in the way of fuel economy with a V6 these days.
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    They make it in japan. it's called the Corolla Fielder.
    looks like just the car I would want! Here is a nice set of pictures: http://www.ramadbk.com/stock/13472.html
  • tomcat630tomcat630 Member Posts: 854
    "We have a 4WD Matrix"

There is a 2WD base Matrix available.
    The one I saw in Japan sounds like the sport version, as it had a three spoke steering wheel, black cloth seats and alloy wheels. Like the interior though. Very well put together. Bring it over, offer it with a dark blue exterior and a tan cloth interior, slap a $15K base price on it and I'll be at the dealer with the keys to my Civic!
  • maurcedesmaurcedes Member Posts: 38
    Are you going to deprive your 16-year old of the thrills of driving a stick shift car? Hmmm....I learned when I was 15, on a 1970 Ford Maverick with a 3-speed on the column. Too many kids these days can't manage a clutch... too bad for them!

I guess the "thrills" part is what scares you, but there's also the economy part. Cheaper cars, better gas mileage.

Before I get hammered, I will say that I'm well aware of all the neat new automatics out there, and my current car is automatic. But I enjoy driving a stick too.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    These delays have gotten plain ridiculous.

I actually sat inside of one at the New York Auto Show, in APRIL 2002! Back then it seemed fresh and even cutting edge.

Now they are saying May or June 2004?

By then the 2005 Legacy wagon will be out, with both H6 (250hp or so) and 2.5 Turbo (up to 280hp) engines available and AWD standard.

Both will trump FWD and 220hp. Be prepared for rebates.

-juice
  • zaimonzaimon Member Posts: 124
    I'd have to say that the Mazda3 is taking it's fair share of the Hatch/Wagon anticipation. What's more is that they aren't offering AWD with the new models...

I'm 21 and my first car was a stick, I now drive an AT and am planning to go back to manual as soon as I get my new Mz3! You're right though, none of my friends know how to drive manual and too many kids these days are receiving cars that their parents should be driving... as in luxury cars.
    are probably slowing down the intro of new models. Spending all their bucks on F150 pickup trucks! Look at the windstar. Like changing the name was going to improve sales! Since the 3 is only being built in Japan, the one standard platform can be brought out sooner. I guess using the Duratec 3.0L means the 6 Wagon has to be assembled in the US.
    the plant has to be geared up for assembly.
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Don't forget that the F150 is Ford's #1 selling/profitable item. Without an F150, there will not be a 500, M6 wagon, or GT.
    Where are the new F150s being built?

I agree about the new Freestar/Windstar, they've made too little a change way too late, how sad that a new model probably isn't even on the radar of prospective new minivan buyers.

The Mazda6 family on the other hand... should be differentiated from the Mazda3 (other than engine and size) as both are pretty well matched on performance. MazdaUSA doesn't know what it's missing out on with not adding AWD.

Does anyone know if the Mz6 wagon and hatch will at least have Xenons and NAV to match what the Mz3 offers? I'd think Mz6 buyers deserve at least those options.

Either way, Mazda sold 6,100 or so Mazda6's in November and their sales are increasing!
    According to this:

http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=4221

F-150 are assembled in:

Cuautitlan, Mexico
    Kansas City, MO
    Norfolk, VA
    Oakville, ON
    Valencia, Venezuela
    Don't forget Ford and Chrysler are on 0% loans/cash back and free DVD players. The Odyssey's getting old and sales are all going to the Pilot. There's no growth in mini-van sales in general.
    what do you call a 50% jump in Sienna sales?
  • geoffrey5geoffrey5 Member Posts: 1
    Hi - I'm new to this message board and looking for some info about Mazda 6 wagon. Does anyone know when this vehicle will be available in Canada (Nova Scotia)? I'm looking for a wagon; I find the "sport wagons/hatches" available mostly too small - would like some more cargo space behind the rear seats - have wife & baby. As well, if anyone from places where this car is now available can tell me their impressions of this car, or other possible alternatives, I would appreciate it. Not an SUV fan. Price is an issue - I love the Passat, but it is too dear. Thanks.
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Member Posts: 2,287
    It looks like April or May, 2004.

As for me, I have just about decided that if I have to wait that long, I may as well buy a 2005 Subaru Outback with the H6 engine or a 2005 Legacy with the Turbo 4...
  • SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    ...just a friendly reminder that this discussion is about the Mazda6 Wagon. We seemed to have gotten off-topic onto minivans and the like. Thanks!
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    This month's allocation, which must be submitted by 12/10/03, includes the MZ6 wagon for the first time. Job#1 is slated for March. They are collecting orders about 60 days our from the norm to facilitate commidity availability and ensure quality. Like the MZ6 5-door, only 4 build combo's will be available with initial production.

more to follow as I get it
    Thanks, audia8q. We appreciate all your fine information.

Mazda may have lost me to an 05 Outback or Legacy, though, as they seem to be coming out in the same timeframe. We will just have to see!
    When you say 4 build combo's, does that mean dealers have only 4 packaged optioned cars to order for inventory?
    yes, the limited build config is common for mazda. I just got the spec info and it looks like 3 initial build configs...they will offer the entire range of options in the second or third month of production. They are doing the samething with the 5-door version.

The build configs for the first month or so will be automatic with just premium audio OR automatic with luxury pkg, moonroof, side bags/curtains and prem audio. The third combo is automatic, sport pkg and premium audio.

one new color that is not included in the sedan....squall blue pearl

and for those of you who have been looking for height adjustable rear seat headrests you got it in the wagon.
    What about configs with that stick thing between the seats??
    the 6 wagon offer a NAV system and HID lights? It sounds like they may be grouped together with the Luxury Package, but who knows?
  • autohound1autohound1 Member Posts: 45
    It's good to see so much activity on this board again. However, I have to admit that I'm more than just a bit disappointed that the wagon is being delayed even further (late spring), and on top of that I cannot get the stick shift for another few months. I just don't think I can hold out much longer, and my enthusiasm is really beginning to wane on the wagon and hatch. That's too bad since I really think these will be great autos, but I'm going to have to check out that new Legacy or something in the used market. All I know is that I'm not going another summer without a/c in my car here in Atlanta and I'm already up to 200k on my Honda. C'mon Mazda, please step up the pace a bit!
  • markjennmarkjenn Member Posts: 1,142
    There are a lot of us who feel the same way.

Other mfgs have managed to get cars to market in a much more timely manner and without all the early restrictions and bizzarre option bundling. The competition is not standing still either. Casually waiting 18-months from a car's introducton to finally get variants to market is wasting a huge portion of a car design's useful life on the market.

IMHO, something is seriously wrong at Mazda when they can't get to market in a more timely manner and be better able to build what customers want. I understand that they're a small player with limited resources, but small should make you more nimble, not less. I can't think of an instance of such a great car being let down by such indifferent marketing, packaging, and channel problems.

- Mark
  • subie_wrxsubie_wrx Member Posts: 15
    I have a subie wrx wagon and I'm looking for something a little biggger and more sophisticated without giving up the fun. From what I've read, the new 6 wagon may be the ticket, but I'm concerned about the rust problems I've read about as well as the long delay before we see the wagon next year. I had a 328 sedan before the subie, and may consider looking for a newer used 325 wagon.
    First, since the 6 wagon is a body structure change, I'm sure the rust issue will be resolved by then. (Wonder if the rest of Europe's been having the same issues?) What's the point in getting an overpriced used 325 when you know problems down the road will go deep into your pocket? I'm suprised you don't consider a 3L Legacy sport wagon or outback? You'd get a brand new 4WD wagon for the price of a used 325.
    Well, the Mazda6 wagon may indeed be your ticket. Or, you might want to look at the 2005Subaru Legacy/Outback wagons, due out the same time or earlier...That's what I am going to do. I can assure you that if Mazda requires tons of other options to get SAB/SAC, I WILL be getting the Subaru.
    "IMHO, something is seriously wrong at Mazda when they can't get to market in a more timely manner and be better able to build what customers want."

agree 1000%.
    It's not like this is a brand new vehicle. It has been available for a good while now in other parts of the world, so the timing is doubly puzzling. In the mean time Mazda may lose me to the Volvo V40 or the Subaru Outback, especially if the Mazda 6 wagon comes with only the 6-cylindar engine that is offered in the sedan. The V40 will soon be replaced, and the Outback has been redesigned for 2005. I imagine there will be good deals on the 2004s once they are ready to launch the new products.
    some of you forget that mazda is a small car company and they don't have the ability to spend ad dollars like Toyota, Honda or Nissan....so if they launch all the new products at once they wont get out any advertising message and risk quality problems... Also, all car companies stagger most new product launches.

Example...if they release all 3 versions of the 6 at once, the car mags and etc will review one version and make blanket statements about the other.....if each model is a focused launch they will get complete exposure for each model. This is important for a small car company who can not spend $200+ million per model launch like some larger asian companies spend....Mazda spent $130 million to launch the MZ6 sedan and it was more than mazda has ever spent before, by far. Toyota and Honda keeps that much in the petty cash box. Its hard to dance with elephants when your a mouse.
    and it doesn't help sales to not have a product on the market. no wagon, no sale. no hatch, no sale.

if each were to sell 10,000 units and for two years to not have then is 40,000 lost sales.

that's good?
    Sorry, I don't buy "delay is good" or "delay is necessary evil for small mfg". Mazda is a niche mfg right now - they need to fill the holes that are too small for the big guns. They should be able to move faster not slower. They need to outflank the competition, not attempt a frontal assualt with their limited firepower.

Subaru managed to ship both a sedan and wagon WRX at launch and both have been successful. Mazda shipped three models in Euro markets within a few months. And with many, many more engine combos. Even if you accept that Mazda needed to stagger the launch, why couldn't they at least have managed a 12-month delay? How could it possibly take 18-months to get this car to market?

Maybe Mazda should have ONLY had the hatch and wagon. Then there would be no pesky competition from Honda and Toyota!

- Mark
    Well, Saturn has spaced out their models, and you see how wonderful that strategy has been for them! :>)
    it took mazda nearly 2 years to get the sedan here after it was showing in production form at the auto shows.

way too pokey. no skin off my back, lost sales for them. I can buy something else.
    I bet most everyone shopping for a Mazda6 didn't know anything about the upcoming hatch and wagon. Edmunds patrons are quite informed compared to the average Accord/Camry shopper, which Mazda was aiming for with the sedan. Losing a few sales from informed buyers is probably worth the risk to Mazda.

I'm also willing to speculate that since Mazda was mid-revolution when the 6 was released - as the RX-8 and Mz3 were still to arrive on the scene - they didn't want to put all their eggs (at the time) in one basket. Should all three models collectively fail to meet sales expectations, who knows what would have happened. The bigwigs at Ford would certainly have not been happy. It's a pessimist's POV, but that's how the business world runs... Just a theory...

That said, I'd say Mazda misjudged the market. Sales have been close to what they were expecting, but it's not to infer that total Mz6 sales figures would have been any different if all 3 models were on sale (we'll find out soon enough tho). Nonetheless, the new Legacy has the 6 wagon cornered.
    Much will depend on pricing, positioning and option configurations. Somehow, I doubt now that I will even seriously consider the Mazda6 wagon. A year ago, I would have BOUGHT one.

We'll see in April or so...
    you say....
    Somehow, I doubt now that I will even seriously consider the Mazda6 wagon. A year ago, I would have BOUGHT one.

What made it so great a year ago and so bad now that its off the list?

maybe I'm reading you wrong...but i get the impression you want to "punish" mazda for staggering their product launches. (all three were NEVER planned to come out at the same time).
    I wonder if the hatch still has any viability. It's still a great looking car and will be fairly dynamic within the mid-size class. The only competition I can think of for the hatch right now is the Malibu Maxx which obviously doesn't live up to the Mazda's looks, performance and build quality.

Mazda still has the potential to include AWD on the 6-line which would put it back in my line of sight for a new car. It's all a matter of when they'd be willing to throw that option into the line-up along with aggressive packaging options (hopefully available on 6s-manuals). Since sales have been increasing over the past year they'll decide to be a bit more "liberal" with their cars!

In the meantime, I have my sights set on the Mz3 hatch.
    I think the issue on the delays and timing of the 6 wagon and hatch, is that all cars have a finite lifespan to be current with respect to design, features, and style. A 94 Accord was a fine car in its day, but if you could buy one brand new now, it wouldn't match up very well to even the cheaper Korean cars selling for thousands less.

During these 18-months, the car has aged. The competitiion has newer designs out now or on the immediate horizon with later designs, more current features, and more up-to-date styling. The Subaru is one such car and photos of the new Passat are now widely splashed across the net. As well, while the segment Mazda is specifically in isn't terribly crowded (mid-sized FWD wagons/hatches for around $24K), it is being encroached upon from all angles - hybrid technology, crossover SUVs, sportier hatches, etc. - and people do shop across these segments. And Mazda doesn't have the luxury of a design life of 8 years or more like BMW, MB, Volvo, and even VW to some extent. The Japanese cars sell on having the latest and most current technology and styling.

We're already seeing some of the limitations of the 6's design period of several years back right now. The features people want right now are fancy electronics (GPS, satellite radio, On-Star, voice activation, etc.), big HP, and AWD. The Mazda is weak on features like these. A couple years in the car business can mean having the right mix of features on a car for the time it sells. Even having the right colors available can be important.

Like it or not, the car business is very fast-paced. Mazda is not with this car. Many people tend to buy cars when they see something new on the market that excites them with the latest/greatest. They also buy within the context of seeing what is upcoming in case they want to wait for a new feature or generation of cars. In these respect, the Mazda 6 wagon, while it certainly will be a fine auto, is already a bit stale.

Mazda can freshen the car with new options, a power boost, and a very cutting-edge sporting hatch, maybe something like the old MX6. But all reports are that this is not what is coming - we're just getting wagon and hatch versions of the existing sedan, which is selling somewhat poorly in the US to begin with.

This may not matter to many buyers and it may not matter to you. But don't for a moment think that it doesn't matter to the market in general. Time to market is EVERYTHING.

- Mark
    One other point: Someone said that the 6 wagon and hatch are shipping according to what Mazda told us originally. Not true.

When the 6 was first annouced the sedan was supposed to ship in the fall of 2002 with the wagon and hatch the next spring/summer. The sedan was delayed a couple months coming out of the box and there was no word on the wagon/hatch - many of us deferred decisions expecting summer 2003 at the latest. Around spring we finally got semi-official word that late-2003/early-2004 was more probable, and recently it has become spring 2004 with limited options for the first month or two.

This sounds like delays to me. Perhaps it was a matter of mis-communication, but it is a poor way to introduce cars.

- Mark
  • autohound1autohound1 Member Posts: 45
    You have echoed my sentiments exactly on this issue and worded it far better than I ever could have. I also would have bought either the hatch or wagon had it been released last summer/fall when I had originally expected and there was nothing else on the horizon from another auto maker that compared as favorably. But come spring/summer of 2004, the competition in this market segment will have expanded, plus it's opened up the used car prospects on other recent entries to the market that I wouldn't normally buy new because of greater cost (ie, used Murano or FX35). Going from thinking summer/fall 2003 availability to summer/fall 2004 (for manual tranny configuration) is really pushing it for me because I truly need a newer vehicle very soon and cannot hold out much longer. I really want to wait for Mazda though, if possible.
  • subie_wrxsubie_wrx Member Posts: 15
    I've been off-line a few days. The current Legacy with the 6 is pretty tame, and my understanding of the next generation is that it will be $32K plus. I see two year old 325 wagons with low miles in the $26-28K range, and I don't consider it a bad deal for the quality of the car. I loved my 328, never had a problem with it in two years, and only sold it because I needed more room for hauling kids, dogs, bikes, etc. But the wrx wagon isn't really big enough either.

One thing that does appeal to me about the Mazda is that it is made in the USA. Having been a victim of this recession, I would like to support American industry more.
    a. The next Legacy is also made in the USA.

b. I doubt it will go for 32k except when totally, fully loaded.

c. I suspect someone (maybe lots of someones) is going to be SHOCKED at how expensively Mazda prices BOTH the hatch and the wagon.
  • ashutoshsmashutoshsm Member Posts: 1,007
    ... Mazda would be stupid to overprice the hatch and wagn. Agreed, they've done that a few times lately, but I'd expect more tame prices now. Saying they'll be overpriced is like all those folks who keep sating the doors will rust and fall off! Wait for proof - don't cry wolf!

Also, subie_wrx, you prolly didn't have problems with your 3-series because you sold it off under warranty, and quite new. While BMW HAS mastered the art of making vehicles that are immense fun to drive and own during the warranty, they've also got the whole breeak-down-within-months-of-warranty-expiration down pat, from all accounts. That, combined with the excessive premium one poays on that Teutonic piece of perfection (for 4 years, at least) made ME shy away from buying one.
This discussion has been closed.