Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier Honda Odyssey Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• ramair1ramair1 Member Posts: 6
    That would be in central NJ. David Michael of Freehold to be exact. $36,077 is about normal for a "little bit of haggling".
  • weitogoweitogo Member Posts: 7
    You are getting the van at more than 400 below invoice. I am shocked!! I thought we are getting a good deal with $99 over invoice. Thanks, Wei
  • cnew21cnew21 Member Posts: 13
    We are still in the market for an EX-L in Maryland. Looking to possibly purchase at the end of July. I was wondering if the price on the 2005 will go down when the 2006 models come out? Also when do the 06 models come out?

Thanks!!
  • utahclimberutahclimber Member Posts: 5
    We're getting ONLY 18 mpg whether we're in the city or going downhill for 300 miles it doesn't get any better. This van is a gas guzzler, we should have bought an SUV if it was only going to get 18 mpg.
    Honestly, you only get around 18-20 mpg city/hwy and that's sufficient?

Darrell
  • maulanamaulana Member Posts: 55
    my experience in the past is that by the time the 2006's come out, there will be usually few 2005's left on the lot. if there are, they might be going at about invoice. others might have had a different experience.
  • maulanamaulana Member Posts: 55
    Dear friends...
    I wanted to thank everyone for their advice and sharing of experiences. Yesterday we took the big plunge, and bought an EX-L with RES. In the morning I emailed about 6 dealers saying that I was looking to buy within the day, and whoever offered us the best deal would get the deposit. I also personally called the three dealerships that we had visited.

Result? We got a 2005 Honda Odyssey EX-L with Ocaen Mist Metallic exterior and gray leather interior, 6 disk CD, RES, cross bars, all weather mats, and fog lights for 29,550. It was used as a demo, but I couldn't be more pleased.

By the way, this technic of calling dealerships with this kind of an offer is what I have used for every car I have bought, and it has always worked for me. It really helps if you do it on the end of the month, and are willing to take a car actually on the lot.

I wish you all the best in your adventures as well!

maulana
  • seadogseadog Member Posts: 2
    First of, thanks to all who have posted in this forum, it has been a great tool in my quest to get an oddy!
    I'm not from this country so I've got no car buying experience to draw from, but I suspect the dealer I'm using is stringing me along.
    I chose the car I wanted (ex-l-res-dvd-navi) and got a fair price on the car and my trade (about $1000 under MSRP). The dealer informed me that they would have the car in a week to 10 days. I was happy with that and put down the deposit.
    That was over 2 weeks ago and every time I call I get told it will be another couple of days. I suspect they have no idea if the can get the car and are just keeping me on the hook to stop me going elsewhere. :mad:
    Is this normal practice over here and has anyone else had the same thing happen?
    Thanks
  • anu_shrianu_shri Member Posts: 13
    i am in st.louis and interested in buying exl OR exl/res.
    when i check the dealers inventory, they seem to have nothing of these trimor very limited inventory....
    i doubt if they are short of these, are they goona negotiate upto the invoice.
    i was quoted the MSRP by 2 dealers.
    Any recommendation for any dealership which might go to the invoice price for this trim in this area.

thanx
    anu.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Of course, I have no idea what has really happened here. I think your salesperson may have been overally optimistic when he/she projected the arrival date on your Odyssey. They have the ability to track it to find out were it is.

We are at the mercy of the car transport companies who can be a bit unpredictable at times.

I take the opposite approach. I'll pad my expected delivery time by several days to a week. When I do this and it arrives early or on time, I have a happy customer instead of one who calls every day.
    You are on the wrong car for this. Why would they cheap sell a car that's in high demand and short supply?

It's the MARKET that determines pricing, not the invoice.
  • sawyerjonsawyerjon Member Posts: 15
    I highly recomend D&C Honda in Tenafly NJ if you are in this area. I was quoted a price on-line for a 36 month lease for a EX-L-RES for a monthly proce 50-100 dollars less per month than anyone else in the area. When I arrived at the dealership to sign the papers, they realized they quoted me for a 48 month lease, which explains the major difference in price between them and everyone else. Instead of sticking me with the higher price, they honored the original quote, which they will lose a little money on. Overall an excellent buying experience, very professional and no hard selling, or my favorite "let me go check with the manager". As a final not, if you are in the area, beware of Paramus Honda... Shark central!!!!
  • jcyclejcycle Member Posts: 8
    Can anyone tell me what is the best price for Odyssey EX-L (without DVD and Navi) in Northern California, including destination?

Thank you
  • seadogseadog Member Posts: 2
    I wish this were the case but I doubt it. As far as I can see they don't have a car on order and were hoping they would be able to trade for one with another dealer and are having no luck. In truth if they had told me it would take six weeks I would have gone ahead and given them the deposit and waited. But because of the way they have stung me along I've looked again and have found the car about $700 cheaper elsewhere. That's a good result for me but but this whole episode had left a bad taste in my mouth and taken the edge of buying our first new car.
  • jjtrindcjjtrindc Member Posts: 24
    Because of all the great information I got from the Edmunds and OdyClub forums, I wanted to share my recent buying experience in the Metro Washington DC area. I was specifically interested in the 2005 Honda Odyssey Touring with Navigation and DVD RES. I wanted black interior, and was happy with most of the exterior colors available with black interior. I began my search by ordering the consumer reports pricing guide for $12 which delivered a lot of information in a compact format. I had also ordered the Sienna guide which was $10 because I ordered it at the same time. For Honda you can probably gather all of your pricing info from these forums, but definitely needed a guide to navigate the Sienna maze of option pricing. Anyway, after test driving both models, the 2005 Honda clearly stood out.

I began by e-mailing about 12 dealers in Northern/Central Virginia and Maryland. I did this through Edmunds and direct e-mails through the Honda Website as not all of the names I came across reading this forum were available through Edmunds. FYI, Costco wouldn’t offer this car in my area through their auto buying service.
    Within a few hours, I had responses from nearly all dealers. As others have noted, most NoVA dealers don’t offer much of MSRP which is crazy. I guess they get enough people paying those prices. Here are my experiences with a few of the dealers worth noting.

Hendrick Honda – I single them out only because they were the only dealer who quoted me an out the door price without asking. What I didn’t like was that their price included their “value package” which was full of options – only a couple of which I wanted. When I asked the salesman if he could quote me a price without all of the options, I was told that the “value package” was STANDARD on all of their cars. If I had wanted all of their features, their price may have been ok, but I quickly scratched them off my list.

Anderson Honda – I’m putting them on my list because they are singled out as an Edmund’s “Premier Honda Dealer.” They were the absolute last at getting me a price quote. It took them four hours to get the standard auto reply about colors and options that many dealers send. I didn’t get a price quote until 8:30 that night. While they were in the game with their first quote, when I countered with prices that two other dealers were offering, he never replied to my e-mail.

Landmark Honda – I would avoid these folks at all costs. First off, they sent me an e-mal price saying the car was “fully loaded.” When I replied via e-mail he simply told me to call him. When I called him, what he was saying was fully loaded was actually the standard package. He then pressured me to “come right in for the best selection.” After that, he called several times and e-mailed several times to the point of harassment. I even received an e-mail several days after I purchased my car asking me what color I had bought. These guys are high pressure all the way.

O’Donnell Honda – A name that has come up in these forums many times. They initially came in with the best price. They were very polite and broke down the price for me upon request so that I could see dealer charges, TTL, destination charge, etc. Ultimately, they didn’t want to haggle down from their original price quote. I was disappointed that when I gave them one last chance to compete against my two other prices, they didn’t even respond. I would, recommend, however, that others include them in their price search.

Pohanka of Salisbury - Again, a name that has come up repeatedly for offering first class deals and service. I concur, and they won my business. After sending me their initial price, I asked them to break it down which they quickly did. They also asked if I preferred to correspond over the phone or via e-mail which I thought was nice.

They were pretty much neck and neck with O’Donnell. When I came back with what I was being offered by the other dealers, he immediately dropped his price by nearly $500. What I really liked is that I simply said I wanted a price out the door (before accessories) of under $38,000. He beat that by over $200.00. Pohanka also offered “a la carte” accessories rather than packages which I really appreciated as well. While still negotiating over price, he faxed me a list of accessories and their prices (which included installation and are covered under warranty). Because he had Slate Green with Black Interior in stock I immediately accepted his new offer and we confirmed the deal with a $500.00 deposit.

Here is how the pricing broke down:
    Odyssey Touring with DVD/RES - $36,080.15 ($2415 off MSRP, $1457 over Invoice). Came with regular floor mats and cargo net.
    Destination: $515.00
    Accessories: $543.00
    (Mud Guards, Door Guards, Bug/Rock Hood Deflector, Fender Trim) included installation and covered under warranty
    Dealer Fee: $100.00
    ($200.00 less than what all other dealers were offering except O’Donnell)
    Tags/Title: $83.50
    (There may have been some extra fees because they are a MD dealer and I live in Virginia, but a small price to pay to avoid going to the DMV)
    Tax: $1117.14
    7/100,000/0 Warranty: $1069.00
    (Big thanks for this forum for alerting me to this deal. In their warranty sheet they quote you $1600.00. I simply told my salesman I read that Pohanka was able to offer it for $1069.00 and he didn’t even blink. I also was not taxed on the warranty.)

My out the door price was $39,507.00 and the vehicle only had 18 miles on it. I had been pre-approved for 4.9 through the Costco/Capital One deal, and Pohanka beat that with 4.84. I even called the finance manager when I heard about the possible 3.9 memorial day financing special and she spent some time looking it up to see if she could offer it to me even though our deal was done. Turns out the financing deal was regional and not in my area.

I did hold my breath for a while because I had had to wait a week to pick up my car as I had to go out of town on a business trip. They also needed time to get my accessories installed. When my wife and I showed up, however, it was a breeze. All paperwork was ready, and we just needed to sign it. Both the finance manager and our salesman were very nice and our salesman spent another hour going over the car with us. I simply couldn’t be more thrilled with the car, it totally rocks! I only wish I didn’t have to drive to Salisbury, MD because it’s about 2 ½ hours from where I live, but on the plus side I got to experiment with the car on the ride home!

Again, I want to thank these sites for all the great info. I’m very happy with the price I paid. Could I have gotten a lower base price? Perhaps, but in my area, I doubt if I could have gotten more than another $100-$200 off unless I was prepared to wait until the end of the summer. But since we want to spend our summer on road trips with the family, we were more interested in actually having
    Well, if you feel this is the case, get your deposit back and buy it somewhere else. Easy as that!
    Having been a dedicated CR reader for some time, I was of the same mindset as you. However, there are some great deals out there on the 7/100,000/0 HondaCare Warranty that changes the equation. First off, you can get it from Pohanka of Salisbury for $1069.00 - that's the lowest price anywhere. I also believe that one other dealer does it for that price and if you search the boards you will find out. Yes, you can order it over the phone and it is good at any dealer. Secondly, the HondaCare Warranty is transferrable, meaning if you sell your car after 5 years, you can sell it with a two year full warranty. If you trade it in, the dealer will pro-rate the cost back to you. Lastly, no deductible is a great offer. I didn't blink when offered this deal.
  • yutronyutron Member Posts: 1
    Did you complete your transaction? The price looks very attractive. Could you point me to your dealer? Thanks.
  • wrightman1wrightman1 Member Posts: 3
    i am now in the process of buy an odyssey in the san jose, ca area. looking for a slate green ext/olive int touring model with DVD/NAV. Anyone have any tips for me? Anyone that is good to deal with at local dealerships? I have received one quote so far for $39,010 (MSRP) from hayward
  • chewie5chewie5 Member Posts: 61
    I got mine in Santa Rosa at Manly Honda for $36,400. They have a program with these "scratcher" cards where they say that they'll match any deal you bring them and beat it by whatever you scratch off on the card (anywhere from $100-$500). I did have to provide them with a quote from another dealer, but they matched it no problem.

Jim Dotens in Berkeley and Concord Honda were willing to deal when I presented some of the other offers I had. Yuba City Honda also seems willing to deal and some others have had good experiences there (but it is a bit of a drive). San Leandro Honda gave me a good initial quote of $37,000, as did Yuba City ($37, 137).

SF Honda was not willing to move on their price, even after I said that I had better offers--they were asking $800 OVER MSRP.

Good luck! I can email you specific contact info if you want. Let me know.
  • odbuyerodbuyer Member Posts: 5
    I live in Virginia. If I buy an Odyssey in MD, do I pay the MD tax on the car, or will I pay VA tax? From what I understand, VA's tax on a new car is 3.2% but MD's tax is 5%. On a $34,000 Odyssey, that's over $600 difference, which could have a significant impact on which dealer has the true lower OTD cost.

Sorry if this is an obvious question, but I've seen lots of posts about people getting quotes from dealers in states other than where they live, but I haven't seen any discussion about how the different tax rates affect the bottom line.
  • wrightman1wrightman1 Member Posts: 3
    thanks for the info. i got a quote from capitol honda in san jose for $37,500, but not in the color i wanted, and said it was a "in stock" quote only. i told them if they could get the color i wanted, i would pay that price.
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    What should happen is when you go to register your vehicle in VA, you will pay the VA sales tax.
  • heywood1heywood1 Member Posts: 851
    I wish I could go back and count the number of your posts that contain this phrase, but I don't have time.

But I also thought you said that models with NAV (not a feature anu_shri is looking for) have the biggest demand. Posts in this forum seem to prove that street prices for a plain vanilla EX-L--or even one with just RES--are well below MSRP.
  • marzomarzo Member Posts: 2
    I think I must be a little crazy--we have a 2004 EX-L and we are thinking of selling it and getting a 2005 Touring with RES and Navi. Am I just wasting my money or is the 2005 "worth" it? I realize that "worth" is a subjective term but just wanted a sense if you all think I am off my rocker to do this. I think I can go through College Park (Md) and get the Touring for about $500 over invoice, assuming they dont play little games with me on accessories, etc and I realize this would be a good deal itself which is really tempting me

Thanks for your thoughts (apologize if this is the wrong forum--but at least loosely related to buying experience/price to be paid)
  • ggsggs Member Posts: 30
    There are some notable features in the redesign: in-line shifter (vs. steering column shifter), and additional power, interior room are a few major ones. The Touring model in particular has a laundry list of features you may or may not need like power tailgate, power adjustable pedals, and run-flat tires with tire pressure monitoring.

That said, only you know what you can handle financially, and whether you will be "wasting" your money by replacing your '04 with an '05, though. AFWIW, I don't think it's crazy to want something better than what you already have.
  • dulnevdulnev Member Posts: 652
    I also bought my Touring from Pohanka and I'm surprised that you had to drive there. They delivered the car to my home in Herndon, VA for free!
  • cuongcuong Member Posts: 45
    Just bought a new '05 EXL (silver with grey leather) with NAV and RES for 32,500 before tax. Is this an OK price? I know it's not a best price.

Before test drive the car, it had under fews miles. Had 12 miles on the paper and drove out the dealer at 17 miles.

I will post my buying experience later when I have more time. Still make me mad when I about it. :mad:
  • candlmeyercandlmeyer Member Posts: 5
    This board helped me a lot so I thought I'd publish my price to help others. I just bought a 2005 Honda Ody EX-L (no DVD or NAV) for out-of-door including everything, for $30,504. I think I got a good deal, but more importantly didn't feel as "gross" as I have in the past when buying cars. I'm in Central Florida. I didn't even meet the dealer till he had the van for me, and then literally spent 1 hour in the dealership to sign papers. He even located the color I wanted and drove to Sarasota to pick it up and bring it back for me. I can't believe I finally had a wonderful car buying experience. Thanks you everyone for contributing to boards like these.
  • camry99camry99 Member Posts: 3
    Could you please tell me the dealer name, your salesperson? I just bought a Honda Odyssey and am interested in purchasing the 7yr/100000 warranty. It looks like that you got the best deal for that.

Thanks
    Yes, Pohanka of Salisbury will deliver your car on a flatbed truck for free. They did make me that offer. Since I drove out to complete the paperwork, there was no way I couldn't drive it home, lol! Overall, I felt better completing the paperwork at the dealership just in case there was a problem, then I felt I was better able to just walk away. Of course, there were no problems. Another thing I like about Pohanka is that they didn't slap one of their dealer stickers on the car like some others do.
  • candlmeyercandlmeyer Member Posts: 5
    Well I'm on the other side of the country (Orlando), but I can at least tell you that I paid $28,495 and that included destination of $515 for the EXL, no dvd or nav. After taxes, tag, title, doc fees, etc..was out-of-the door $30,500. Hope that helps?
  • sonyswsonysw Member Posts: 34
    I think that is pretty good. I call more than 10 dealership they will not give me less than $32,600. Where are you located and may I know which dealer ?
    I am looking for EX-L with navigation in Los Angeles area. So far after calling more than 10 dealership the lowest I can get is $32,500 (excluding tax and license). Anyone knows reliable dealer or experience. Please email. Thanks.
    Do you finally purchase the car and how much ? May I know from which dealer ? I am looking from the same car but none of them are willing to give lower than $32,500. Thanks.
  • bethpabethpa Member Posts: 35
    I have seen the many prices for the purcahse for the EX-L and it seems like the best deals are around invoice for this model. My question to anyone out there with dealer experience is can these purchase prices be tied to a lease as the cost of the vehicle? I have never leased before and we need a minivan. I'm looking at what GM did to their prices and the fact of the matter is there is so much potential for depreciation in any new car with the industry as cut-throat as it is today, who knows, Honda may start $2500 rebates on 1 year old models for 2006 just to stay competitive. Now knowing why I am considering a lease, how can I translate these good purchase numbers into a good lease. Does Honda have any 36 or 48 month deals on 2005 EX-L's in Pennsylvania?

This is a great forum. Thanks for sharing all this information.
  • guzzarguzzar Member Posts: 2
    Can you let which dealer you bought from. I'm in the market for one in the north east FL. Locally I'm quoted 1500 over invoice which is not good imo.
    Thank you.
  • salesp1salesp1 Member Posts: 2
    Negotiating on EX-L and so far price = $30,000.00 (ex taxes, tags) - tried to include 'options' top carrier rails $600, Wheel lock buts $200, mud flaps $400 and rubber storage tray $200 (all seem highly inflated costs!). Finally did inlude these in price. Any thoughts - if I refuse 'options' can expect price = $28,600?
  • jacka1jacka1 Member Posts: 4
    I got a good inernet price on my EX-L in Maryland--$27,934 + destination, ttl. When I went to close the deal, the salesman told me the appearance package on the vehicle--mud flaps, door guards, rim protectors, and wheel locks would add $700 to the price. I said I wasn't going to pay $700 for a bunch of plastic and a handful of metal and that 1/4 the price of those add-ons was fair. He reduced the price to $200. Go to Collegehillhonda.com or another internet site for accessories to track down the fair price and dicker from there.
  • bdccalmbdccalm Member Posts: 1
    Glad you got a great deal! I am also in Central Florida and am looking to buy an EX. Did your out the door price include taxes, dealer fees, etc? What dealer did you use?
  • utahclimberutahclimber Member Posts: 5
    CCCompson:

Would you let me know what type of mileage you are getting with your 05 Ody? We keep a fuel log and I would love to get a comparison.

Thanks,

Darrell
  • vanhuntervanhunter Member Posts: 3
    Does anyone have good experieces purchasing a 05 Odyssey EX-L w/ or w/o R&N in NC or neighbour states recently. Any attention is appreciated.
  • crikeycrikey Member Posts: 1,041
    I can at least tell you that I paid $28,495 and that included destination of $515 for the EXL, no dvd or nav. After taxes, tag, title, doc fees, etc..was out-of-the door $30,500.

candlmeyer, I would extremely appreciate it if you can share the dealership where the vehicle was purchased and whom it was that you dealt with. Thanks, in advance.
  • cnew21cnew21 Member Posts: 13
    Still on the fence here. There is a $2200 price difference (Edmunds TMV) between the EX and EX-L and I have a 6 year old into sports and a 2 year old. I would prefer the leather for easier clean-up but I'm not sure if we can swing it.

Are other's out there purchasing the EX with young kids? What products are out there for cleaning the interior?

Thanks.
  • crikeycrikey Member Posts: 1,041
    Are other's out there purchasing the EX with young kids? What products are out there for cleaning the interior?

Although I'm looking at the EX-L, if I were to get the EX, I would likely Scotchguard the heck out of the interior before the whole crew climbs in. It's not for cleaning but for preventing a dirty interior.
  • toscanatoscana Member Posts: 5
    Does anyone have contact information for Honda dealers who sell Exact Mats? The company hasn't responded to my request. (And based on some members' posts, the dealer price is much better than buying directly from the company.) Thanks.
  • cuongcuong Member Posts: 45
    I got the car in New Orleans. I went to three dealers here to check out the car and the price.
  • shawn98shawn98 Member Posts: 2
    vanhunter- I bought in early May at Dick Brooks Honda in Greer SC. Got my choice of their delivery on a EXLRN. Paid $31,978 and ~$1088 for the 7/100 $0 deductible warranty. The entire transaction went very well, including the follow up. Accessories were fair as well- Cargo mat and mud flaps ~$100 each and window tint at $50. Their internet manager was really helpful and delt with my daily calls trying to make sure I could get the van prior to an 8 hour roadtrip.
  • dartanyandartanyan Member Posts: 10
    Hello,
    I am considering an option buying out of CA and bringing into CA.
    I know CA has a strict law on emission.
    http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/osreg.htm#BM2561
    http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/NonCAVeh/NonCAVeh.doc
    but all Honda Vehicles are qualified for all 50 states in America. Does it mean ok?
    Anyone knows about this issue for sure? or has done it actually?
    I am in LA area, so I would go Las Vegas if I go.
    Any suggestion?
    Thanks in advance!
  • cccompsoncccompson Member Posts: 2,382
    Odysseys are 50 state compliant. Others have posted here about buying out of state and bringing 'em into CA without any problem.

utahclimber, I have posted mileage figures here and elsewhere in the past. Overall average to date is above 21 mpg with a disproportionate percentage of highway driving. Will know more soon as we're making a roundtrip from OH to CA later this month.
  • dhfddhfd Member Posts: 22
    I'm looking for an EX w/ cloth, and like it was mentioned, I'm going to scotchguard the fabric when we finally get it...for cleaning up, i've used oxy clean fabric spray, worked really well. There's even a variation for baby clothes, probably a lower concentration of solution. hope this helps.