Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Legacy/Outback Wagons Maintenance & Repair

Comments

• nygregnygreg Member Posts: 1,936
    Installed one myself 3 years ago. No Locktite used. It hasn't fallen off yet. :)

Greg
  • srb48srb48 Member Posts: 5
    It's extremely rare to have two wheel bearings go at the same time, unless an entire batch of bearings was bad, and I'm not saying that's what happened. The mileage just doesn't seem to warrant this kind of failure. It may be that when one went, the other did likewise because of the AWD system design. I don't know, but I'd like to find out. I have been researching the problem on the Internet.

And don't get me started about Imprezas. My wife's 2000 2.5RS has had the ECM unit, the transmission, and the front oxygen sensor replaced in just the last nine months. The first two were under warranty, but took a week each to get, and they were ordered VOR. The third wasn't under warranty, but the dealership had the part.

Guess I'm having a bad year. Thanks for your input. I do appreciate it.

Steve
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Well, consider yourself less unlucky, then. Our 626 became a money pit, we blew $2500 in the last two years that we owned it.

I have a 6 year old Forester that has cost me zero out of pocket. Our Legacy is under an extended warranty, we just had to hedge our best after the Mazda fiasco.

-juice
  • sebberrysebberry Member Posts: 148
    It seems kind of odd that Subaru would offer a rear differential protector, yet offer no skid plate group for anythign else. Have those with the diffy protector been in a situation where it has proven useful?
  • hypovhypov Member Posts: 3,068
    Sebastian-
    shoot paisan an e-mail. He might be able to set you up with a skid plate on the OB :)

-Dave
    It helps to jack the rear of the car up for tire rotations. Never been in a situation that I really needed it though. It is the low point on the car though.

Greg
  • blackbeanblackbean Member Posts: 100
    All - Thanks for the advice - I'll just check the torque in the spring. It didn't appear that any OEM threadloack was in there - but it is aluminum plate, so that compresses somewhat and may keep it tight.

Craig - All the threads fully engaged, so the bottom of the nut is evan with the bottom of the post threads.

Seberry - I know Primitive Racing(http://www.writerguy.com/primitive/catalog1.htm) makes a front skid plate, but most people here seem to think they aren't worth getting unless you rally of road.

Looks like we will get 12" of snow tonight in MA - time to get the Subaru gassed up for the "snow day" tomorrow!!! :-)

Cheers,
    Matt
  • dlbensondlbenson Member Posts: 13
    My Check Engine light just came on and I remember reading here that this is a known condition that is not as ominous as it sounds.

If anyone is familiar with this, please respond with the low-down on this issue.

Thanks
    Don
    Steady - get it checked out, but not an emergency. Blinking - stop car and have it towed (via flatbed) to a dealer.

Most steady CELs are from items such as loose fuel cap, knock or O2 sensor, or misfire.

Greg
  • c_hunterc_hunter Member Posts: 4,487
    First thing, check the gas cap by loosening it. If it seems too loose coming off, there's your culprit. Tighten back down w/ 3 clicks and the CEL should go away on its own after a few days.

Craig
    Yeah, I've used mine as a jacking point. There is one scuff on it, probably when I was driving around a friend's farm in Hagerstown and bottomed out on a rock. The ground was very lumpy and uneven.

On my Forester, the low point is actually the front cross member. It's actually a good 2" lower than the rear diffy, so yeah, a front factory skid plate would be a welcome option.

paisan is going to try to fit a custom skid plate on my Forester when I go to Philly on 2/6, so ask me about it in a couple of weeks!

Don: usually it's something minor, just have the dealer read and reset it. If you are past warranty, AutoZone will do it for free.

-juice
  • bat1161bat1161 Member Posts: 1,784
    Actually I have the Primitve front skid plate on my 00 OB. After a couple of trips to the Pine Barrens, along with some back road drives I felt it was worth getting. Unfortunately, I picked up mine a few months before Paisan strting cranking them out:-) It may be overkill, but it does give peace of mind for that added protection. When it gets warmer I have to install the rear diffy (Primitive sent the wrong one).

Mark
  • hibricchibricc Member Posts: 2
    Anybody have any tips on a dealer-installed Subaru 6-disc in-dash changer on a 2000 OB? It can't read (or eject!) CDs anymore. Could the lens be dusty? If I were to shoot some compressed air in there, which direction would give me my best shot at cleaning the lens?

Thanks....
    Sorry, no idea. I've installed two of those, but it's a self-contained unit, a cube basically. I've never opened one.

-juice
  • wilkichwilkich Member Posts: 52
    We have a 97 Outback with 72k miles. Twice, a couple of months ago, it died on the highway. It was going full speed, sputtered and just died. Then it would start up immediately. A mechanic looked at it and said it was the mass flow air sensor. He offered to replace it but said that he would clean it first and see what happened. Long story short, it has not happened again. But, I'm worried that it could. Should I replace it for piece of mind sake. (Side note on the Suburu service issue. I have given up on dealer service after the crappy experiences I've had in the past. The independent mechanic experience was much better and I could not get past the feeling that the dealer would have tried to force me to replace it.)

Also, has anyone bought tires from Costco? Thoughts on experience and suggestions for the tires they carry.
    Hmm, '97, that failure is rare. It was common on the '99 Impreza and Forester with the first-year Phase II engine.

I think it'll be OK, it's a pricey item IIRC. For the '99, it's something like $370.

Costco mounted my tires. I bought Falken ZE-512s from Vulcantire.com, which had better prices and those top-rated tires. Costco carries Michelins and they'll have a big $60 off special for a set of 4 once in a while, so you can get a good price if you time it right. The offers was expired when I shopped, but it was back last time I checked.

-juice
  • K9LeaderK9Leader Member Posts: 112
    I have used Costco for the last three sets of tires I have put on various cars -- '87 Acura Integra, '98 Toyota Sienna, 2000 OBW. I put Michelin MXV4s on the OBW a few months ago (about time to go in for a rebalance and rotation) and Michelin Xs on the Sienna a couple of years ago. Can't remember exactly what I put on the Integra, as it was several years ago -- B.F. Goodrich something or others. Their selection is pretty good as they have something at most price points, and they can order most anything else.

They often (2 - 3 times a year)have a $50 or $60 off coupon on a set of 4 Michelin or Bridgestones. There is one on now or coming up soon -- the coupon is in the little booklet they mail out a couple of times a year. On the Sienna, I needed the new tires immediately (belt fibers poking out and leaving on a long trip in two days) so I didn't wait for the next coupon deal. It came out one week later -- Dohh! But Costco sent me a letter with a check for the $50 bucks anyway, without my even asking. Then, with the OB tires, I got the $50 off from Costco and the next week Michelin starts offering its own $50 off, so they sent me a check for that, too.

Absolutely the best prices you will find, and the price includes everything -- mounting, stems, lifetime rotation and balancing, road hazard warranty.

Service is pretty good, although wait times can be long if you get there at the wrong time of day. Either be the first one in line when they open in the morning, or talk to the guys who work there to find out if/when they have a regular time when things slow down.

Highly recommended.

--K9Leader
  • otis123otis123 Member Posts: 439
    Basically ditto for BJs if you happen to have them instead of Costco near you.

I've been very happy with 4 sets of tires, including most recent Michelin Pilot Sport A/S's for my LLBean. I've also lucked out with the timing of coupons so far.

Can't beat going to get tires rotated/balanced at 8:30pm on a Tuesday night...fits my schedule perfectly...

Ralph
  • fibber2fibber2 Member Posts: 3,786
    is the level of training the kids get. I was having a wobble that kept getting worse with each trip in to BJ's (Wappingers Falls). It took me three trips in to realize why - they never removed the old weights before spinning. I think I had about 5 lbs of lead on each tire! Finally grabbed the manager and had them strip off everything & rebalance. Got it right on the first try.

Steve
    I wouldn't trust a place like Costco with exotic 40 series tires, for that I'd go to a specialty place. But for mainstream tires, I think they're OK. I've never had any tire balance issues, not ever.

-juice
  • otis123otis123 Member Posts: 439
    Since it's late in the day I hang out with the guy and watch him do the job. You're right, you do have to be careful...

Ralph
  • lfdallfdal Member Posts: 679
    If the discs won't eject, and you're sure the unit is powered, its more likely mechanical than a dirty lens.

If the player has an emergency ejection "hole" you can stick a paper clip into it to force it to eject the disk - IF it **has** the hole. Check the manual first.

Other than that, you pretty much have to pop the player and take it apart to get to the disks.

I think juice has mentioned those players turn up on e-Bay? juice can you confirm that - or was it Forester compatibles?

HTH

Larry
  • frogwife1frogwife1 Member Posts: 2
    My husband posted a problem with our 2000 Outback which did turn out to be a "blown head-gasket". We got an appointment with a suburu dealer service dept (only a 6 day wait). Since there was a 6-day wait we first brought it to an independent mechanic to test the coolant for exhaust gases (positive) and to check the radiator (no problems on pressure check) in order to make sure this was a head gasket problem.(yes) Brought the car to the dealer (20miles) yesterday morning. By 3pm today they still had not looked at it despite my having a morning appointment today! I was told that an appointment only allows you to drop the car off. (BS of course) So they finally looked at it and told me that I have a blown head gasket and a hole in my radiator and that the head gasket was secondary to the radiator hole (remember--I had that tested 20miles ago!) The dealer says he'll contact Subaru to see if they will assist as my husband had opened a case with 1-800-subaru3. My independent mechanic says that he is sure the leaky head gasket had caused the coolant to boil, the pressure blowing the lid off the coolant reservoir. We have never had any coolant on the garage floor. We're pretty pissed at the dealer at this point, but are awaiting his reply after he discusses this case with subaru.
    I suggest you call Subaru directly yourself and not trust the dealer to do it for you. How do you know they did it in the end? After calling 800-Subaru3 give Patti a heads up on the other thread - Subaru representation (aka Patti). I had my dealer talk to SOA and they didn't exactly give me the right information. Keep us informed.

Greg
  • nanciolananciola Member Posts: 2
    We moved to a house with a v. steep driveway, I would guess it's about 40 degree slope up to the road from garage. Our Outback VDC couldn't get up the other day, with only 2 inches of snow. Big disappointment, any suggestions, or is that grade of hill just too steep for any snow? Is there a different AWD we should consider looking at that is really good at climbing hills?
    Interesting. What kind of tires? How many miles on them? Was the car slipping and losing traction?

My first reaction is that 40deg is very steep, and I would not try to tackle that without dedicated snow tires. Even with AWD, the most important factor is tires. In fact, a FWD car with snow tires can actually do better than an AWD car with worn all season tires.

With good snow tires, I would expect the VDC to be among the best AWD vehicles out there. If it can't make it up the hill, I wouldn't expect other vehicles to either (perhaps a true 4WD vehicle with locking differentials, but that's not exactly something you'd want to live with everyday).

If you have the stock RE092 tires, that may be part of the problem. They are mediocre in the snow when new, but the snow performance really deteriorates when they wear down about half-way.

If you get a lot of snow in your area, definitely consider a set of snow tires. They have excellent performance in snow and ice and will help braking as well as forward motion.

Craig
  • fly2onefly2one Member Posts: 3
    ref. post 2567

Don't know about the ejection problem but to clean your laser lens go to Best Buy or a similar store and pick up a "Laser Lens Cleaner". Mine is a SCOTCH brand and it works wonders on all of my CD and DVD players. Cost is about $15 and they claim it will last 100 cleanings.
    As Craig said, 40' is an incredibly steep slope for a car. I could spin tires helplessly on my old Corolla and Dodge Grand Caravan with my 15+' sloped driveway when snowy. Top quality snow tires are a must.

OK guys - a question. Does the VDC system invoke the brakes on a single spinning wheel to proportion torque? Is there still a center diff helping to distribute and control F to R torque? Would turning the VDC off (newer models have a switch?) maybe help in a straight line spinning wheel situation? Reason I ask: once I get the new van going, I sometimes turn off the traction control as the brake drag can interfere with forward momentum.

Steve
  • nanciolananciola Member Posts: 2
    Thanks to both of you. yes, the original tires are on, about 2 yrs old, 20k miles. I never thought you could put snow tires on AWD, I thought it would interfere with all that transferring of power to the different wheels. Will definitely give that a try.

I too have wondered about the VDC, whether it actually hurts rather than helps. As I understand it it's supposed to transfer power left and right as well as front and back. Will try turning it off next time. Also, what about starting in second (it's an automatic)?
    With that kind of wear that's why they're called BLOtenzas. VDC is extremely capable so I'd shop for more competent tires.

Starting in 2nd is a good idea. Ease onto the throttle, too. It's better if you don't force the traction control to engage.

Yeah, you can e-bay a 6CD from a WRX for about $150. I paid $250 a couple of years ago, but they are cheaper now, I think someone got one for even less than $150.

-juice
  • toboggantoboggan Member Posts: 283
    If you have a driveway that steep (40 degrees) dedicated snow tires are a must if it snows during winter at your place. If you decide to get snow tires, also get wheels to go with the snow tires. TireRack.com is one place to order tires/wheels.

I've used Bridgestone Blizzaks for 5 seasons now. Put them on in late Nov., take them off in late March. When brand new they are superior on ice.

BF Goddrich now has a Traction T/A tire (all-season) as a possible replacement for your current tires instead of dedicated snow tires.

MNSteve - -26° this morning, brrrr
  • cptpltcptplt Member Posts: 1,075
    the difference between those and all seasons even with AWD is night and day.
    if you don't want dedicated winter only tires, get some Nokian WRs which are snow traction rated but can be driven in summer without losing all your tread. I have the WRs predecessor, the NRW, on my Legacy and they are much better than the Re92s even in dry , warm weather let alone snow.
    If you put it in 2, does it start in 2nd gear? Because I think my LL Bean will still do a 1-2 routine when in "2". Honestly though, I can't remember the last time I would have put it in "2". I do use "1" frequently when we travel to our inlaw's cabin. The dirt road has some hills that probably approach 30deg. Going down, "1" gives a little engine braking. Going up, it keeps the car from upshifting. I think choosing either 1 or 2 will also even out the power split between axles (it normally goes to 90/10 on the Bean when you cruise).

VDC is significantly different, so I don't know much about it. I do think it uses brakes, however, as Steve noted.

Craig
    If you place the gear selector in 2nd, it will start in 2nd and prevent slippage. I drove on some twisty roads during Tuesday's storm in 2nd gear. Great control, but, of course you can't exceed 20-30 mph.

Greg
    Going up can be a challenge. Coming back down can be deadly! I have a ravine off the side of my driveway that drops off about 30' or so to a stream. Part of my incentive to get the Dunlop WinterSport M2 tires was their superior rating on ice. I sometimes come to an almost complete stop at the top of my decent, then ease it down to the garage level. Keeps me out of the ravine, or from crashing into the house.

With the driveway Nanci describes, that would be my biggest fear.

Steve
    Good point, Steve.

I have a long(ish) driveway, about 5-6 car lengths, slight uphill. When it gets icy I actually sand it down. I use a broadcast spreader and regular play sand, the stuff you get in 50 lb bags.

While the Subie could probably make it up, I don't want my kid falling down. Plus I have to do the walk way.

I don't like using salt or chemicals, so usually I'll shovel what I can, then spread some sand to get traction.

-juice
    I use the incline in my driveway as a great sleigh route. My daughter and I created one on Tuesday where you start on the hill next to my house, cross the front yard, across the driveway (yes I added snow to that part of the driveway after clearing it), and down across the septic field. Problem though, if you don't stop you continue into the woods and down into a ravine. :)

Steve after sliding down the driveway and crashing into the house - "Beth, I'm home". he he he.

Actually, I need to clear my dw in the AM so any ice / snow melts when the sun hits it or am in trouble the next morning trying to get the Sienna out.

Greg
    My Miata has been stranded for a whole week! I dare not even try....

-juice
    sit in the driver's seat, drop the top, sip a margarita and make believe it's summer...until the "cat" jumps in your lap full of snow.

G
  • froggy8froggy8 Member Posts: 4
    I spoke with Subaru today and the statement I get from them is that "there are no known problems with head gaskets on their engines. There are no recalls or TSBs." From talking to mechanics, yes there is. On this board, yes there is. Some of you posted about a new (or upcoming) program extending the warranty on head gaskets if you agree to use their coolant additive because of leaky head gaskets. Where does that info come from?
  • pattipcpattipc Member Posts: 53
    the Rep. is only telling you what they are permitted to tell you at this point. We really haven't spoken at all about any "pending" things, there would just be mass confusion. Until things are finalized, we can't release information to the general public. There's a host of reasons - some of which I personally don't agree with, but understand.

That being said, did the Rep. offer to look into your situation? They should check it out with your dealer. Dang - I hate not being able to access our database from home right now. I will check it on Monday. Sorry if it caused you frustration.

Patti
  • froggy8froggy8 Member Posts: 4
    I think it's great you scan this website and try to help out when you can. I don't really trust the dealer service people much as the one person that I (and my wife) have spoken with was very abrupt with us each time. The SOA rep. has referred the case to district service operations for consideration, but I don't think the dealer service manager has the correct info about the problem to give them. So the district person will not get accurate info to consider. See posts 2526 and 2577 here--there is actually a bit more detail to this than is in the posts. (like the fact that a cylinder was misfiring before any overheating ever occurred). I wish I could speak with district service operations myself so that the situation could be made clear. Thanks again!

Mark
  • ebony5ebony5 Member Posts: 142
    The At Oil Temp light flashes for a few seconds after I start my '96 OBW. It stops flashing after a few seconds and does not come on again while I am driving, but it will flash again when I restart the car. The car seems to be running okay;at least I cannot feel any differance. Anyone know how serious this may be,as I said the car seems to run okay and I do not notice any transmission slippage or other transmission related changes.
    The owners manual says that if the "light flashes after the engine starts it may indicate that the automatic transmission control system is not working properly" Whatever that is-That I should go to the nearest Subaru dealer immediately-There go my plans to drive to the Berkshires tomorrow-It being Saturday I plan on being there tomorrow when they open at 7:00am. Any feedback before or after is appreciated. Thanks
  • ebony5ebony5 Member Posts: 142
    Back from Subaru (in and out in a little over 1 hour) and getting ready to roll to the Berkshires-the codes had to be reset nothing else was found to be wrong-leaks etc.-They said the trans.fluid may have run hot due to the road conditions snow ,slush etc. and thus causing the flashing light and necessity to reset the codes.I have been up in the Catskills recently on unpaved snowy roads using 1st and 2nd gear for short periods, cautiously & slowly and wondering if that could have had an effect. I still wonder what could have caused this and will continue to monitor the situation. The fluid was changed for the 60k maintenance 6k ago and they topped it off today. Any input is welcome.
  • jschoen1959jschoen1959 Member Posts: 1
    While having a leaking headgasket repaired at no charge under warranty, (2001 Legacy Wgn. 56,000 mi.) I also, at the same time, had the fuel and air filters replaced and new plugs installed. Charges for filters were reasonable but the labor charge for for plugs was $111.00. Since the engine was already accessed to do the warranty work, was this a fair charge. Or is the dealer getting paid twice. From the Company for warranty work and me too?
  • pattipcpattipc Member Posts: 53
    to speak to the District Rep. yourself. If you get any resistance, let your SOA Rep. know about your request. Please tell the SOA Rep. (do you know who you spoke with??) to make sure they let me know about the case. I work with all of the Reps. so they'll know how to find me.

I'm sure all will be well. Thanks for your patience with us and I'm sorry about the problem.

Patti
  • jfljfl Member Posts: 1,396
    I'd look for another dealer if there's one within a reasonable distance. That sounds pretty outrageous to me.

mike, what does azp charge to install new plugs. I'll bet you're below market if $111 is market rate!

Jim
  • sacosaco Member Posts: 5
    Just bought a 2004 Outback Limited sedan with auto-dimming mirror and compass, however it is not the one shown in the manual. I'd like to know if the original equipment on my car has been altered, how can I find out? Has anyone else had this problem?
  • pathtomaxpathtomax Member Posts: 215
    My 2001 Outback Ltd is starting to produce a really bad "rubber" burning smell. I thought that it was from some oil left after an oil change but that was about 3,500 miles ago. It is VERY pronounced after a longer stint of driving at highway speeds, or perhaps a shorter ride at above average (80mph) speeds.
    The car has 41,000 miles on it at this point, the tires are in OK condition and the rotors are intermittently acting up but not needing replacement yet. Is this a serious engine issue? Any insight is appreciated.
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    A little late here... But...

All 4EATs have a cooler built into the radiator on the subies. My guess is there was a pin-hole leak in the hose and it sprayed the cat (as was previously said) the reason why there was no slippage til you turned was probably cause there is close to 10quarts of fluid in there, even if it sprayed out 1 quart on the cat for the fire portion, it is not likely to slip til you hit a curve or really build the pressure up.

-mike