Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Odyssey 1999 - 2004

Comments

• grossdsgrossds Member Posts: 3
    I am looking into buying an Odyssey EX and have learned that the dealers in my area (Washington State) are getting ~$1,500 over MSRP, with a wait of up to 60 days. There is an auto broker in my area who can get cars from Canada in several days, and his price is very close to MSRP + destination charge. The potential glitch is that Honda dealers in the area do not like this practice and are refusing to honor the manufacturer's warranty. The broker is getting around this by including in the price an 48 month 48,000 mile aftermarket warranty.

Does anyone have any experience with a similar transaction? Also, are there any other problems associated with buying a car imported from Canada?
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    in this case, we're discussing the "Honda Odyssey". Occasional off-topic posts now and then are okay and normal. However, continued discussions on the Nissan Quest should be continued in the "Nissan Quest" topic, or the "Crash tests" topics.

Thanks for your co-operation!

Drew
    Host
    Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • acsmithacsmith Member Posts: 63
    Please refer to messages 534, 551, 674 and 677 on this thread. Saves time to not retype. In summary-if you are a US buyer, you can make a real mistake buying a Canadian Ody. While the quality is not the issue (the US and Canadian models are made on the same production line), you will face horrible problems on resale due to the fact that the speedometer has to be changed from KPH to MPH, and that means that, under US federal law, you must sell your used Ody as "mileage unknown". If you hide the changeout, then you risk getting whacked for fraud. There are other problems, too (no Honda warranty, etc.) After checking those msgs, if you have questions, please ask. And no, I am not a Honda dealer and have no connection with any auto business (I'm a federal employee in Washington, DC). Regards,
    acsmith
  • mmmagedmmmaged Member Posts: 1
    just got my Odyssey and at about 40 mph and up I get a distinct howling wind noise. Its an EX with roof rack and factory cross bars. Any solutions?
  • tahirtutahirtu Member Posts: 1
    Does anybody know of any bank show room in NJ where preowned cars can be re-leased. I am interested in Honda Odyssey or Toyota Senna or Nissan Quest. Hate to go to dealers and find couple of choices + price haggle
  • minimanminiman Member Posts: 85
    curtiscrow: all cars I have driven make a faint whirring or similar noise upon turning the key to the accessory/power-on setting (w/o starting the engine). This is reportedly the fuel line/pump priming with gas. The inability to start you describe sounds like a potential problem beyond just the fuel line priming slowly - my suggestion is to start with your dealership; begin by bringing in the van. If they examine it and cannot find a problem, write to Honda and cc to dealership owner/manager, perhaps salesperson too if s/he was helpful.
    I did this on my EX sliding door problems that could not get fixed on 3 tries - you would not believe how the dealership jumped to help me when I came in time #4, Honda also extended my warranty to 5/50 and they actually seemed to have fixed it (though only been 1 week now) by replacing a number of parts including the latch and contacts.
    Good luck.

cebren: write to BBB. I do not think Honda cares about a $100 tranny change service when they are dealing with some of the more serious problems raised in this and Odyssey problem forums. Perhaps they should care, but as noted, the dealerships seem to run in laisez faire mode on most things. Honda zone offices do seem to jump to action in quality/manufacturing problems, however.

dwilkers: nice van comparison. Clearly, Odyssey is the van for other dealers to knock. You do not see folks waiting months for the Quest van, do you?? At least thay got one sucker to buy one (the 'free TV' sales pitch actually worked on him - probably the only one ever. It's a little known fact, but the tires on the Odyssey are actually free as well. What a deal!)
  • minimanminiman Member Posts: 85
    Any one ever get this system to work with one of the Radio Shack systems that remotely activates house lights and appliances?
    If someone has, I would like to hear details. The problem I have is that the transmitter is plugged in to the wall, and sends signals through home wiring, although there are remote units you can buy - although why buy a remote unit when the Home Link should be able to do this?
  • mojo66mojo66 Member Posts: 83
    NBC’s Dateline ran a segment last night on the latest 5-mph bumper crash test results, and included in the latest round of testing were the 2001 DC vans, which didn’t perform too well. In the minivan segment, the Odyssey has the best results, having the lowest overall average repair cost for the 4 tests. If you want to see the dollar totals, here they are.

http://www.highwaysafety.org/vehicle_ratings/low_speed_vans.htm

• odd1odd1 Member Posts: 227
    Hey Sam the Odyssey comes with a free engine.
  • namaste1namaste1 Member Posts: 1
    Thanks to all for the posts regarding Jay Honda in Cleveland, Ohio. I'm from Allentown, PA which is about 60 miles north of Philadelphia. My local dealers all quoted a 6 month wait time for an Oddy with one at list price and the other at 1000 over list. So I called Dennis Jenkins at Jay Honda in Cleveland about Dec 20 and he told me he had a silver EX coming in in about 2 weeks. I gave a $500 deposit with credit card and two weeks later he called me with the news that the van had arrived. We had agreed on $200 under list as the price. The following week I drove my Acura TL, which was at the end of a lease, to Cleveland (about a 6 hr. drive). Everything was ready for me when I arrived. Dennis couldn't haven't been a better person to deal with...Drove the Oddy back home and it performed like a dream. So folks if you need an Oddy in a few weeks, call Dennis Jenkins at Jay Honda in Cleveland Ohio. Phone 1-888-321-2371 or e-mail JAYHONDA@AOL.COM. I'm glad I did. They also have a good allotment of Honda 2000's coming in. Oh yea, I almost purchase an MPV when I heard of the 6 months wait. I'm glad I checked out this forum. Although the MPV looks great, it's performance doesn't come close to the Oddy.
  • mtsangmtsang Member Posts: 70
    Does anyone have experience with adding a third remote to their EX. I've been trying to do that using the instruction that's in the service manual but unsuccessful. Thanks.
  • hondaaccessoryhondaaccessory Member Posts: 74
    the procedure should be the same as the ones for the CR emotes at:

http://www.HandA-Accessories.com/cr/crvkeyless.pdf

couple things to note are the time limit for each step, all doors have to be closed while programming, have all emotes on hand for the final step.

-Tremor

Hand-Accessories

Hey Trevor, thanks for responding. Unfortunately, I am getting an error from the URL you provided. Pls re-post if not too inconvenient.

BTW, the 2001 fog lights I got from you are really nice. It took me longer to install than I had expected but it's way worth it. Thanks.

Mike
  • emsanoleemsanole Member Posts: 1
    My Odyssey EX arrives in 10 days. I paid $25,000 with destination. Is that exceptional?
  • acsmithacsmith Member Posts: 63
    WOW! If the van is new, and not Canadian, "youse gotta deal". 25K is getting close to dealer cost. Are you SURE there are no extras like pin striping for $1500 etc. Are you SURE it's an EX and not an LX? Why would a dealer sell an EX for 25K when he can get $26,840 at MSRP and sell every month's allotment two months in advance? You know that old saw about if it looks too good to be true, it probably is? I'd check this one out carefully. But if it's a new American EX for 25K delivered, grab it.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I think Trevor dropped a "v". Try:
    http://www.handa-accessories.com/crv/crvkeyless.pdf

Steve
    Host
    SUV and Vans Message Boards
  • cliffybcliffyb Member Posts: 114
    Regarding your post where you indicated the that the 99' Oddysey is on Consumers "Don't Buy" List.

That is a blatant lie. I have the issue you are referring to and it says "Currently this is our top rated mini-van". You must sell some other brand for a living.
  • cavillercaviller Member Posts: 331
    You might want to scroll back a ways on this forum and read about the issue before calling Sam7068 a blatant liar.
  • del910del910 Member Posts: 3
  • del910del910 Member Posts: 3
    for several month I thought about the ex odyssey and finally picked up the van today the silver bullet really enjoyed driving it home from dealers and handled very good on the highways from Charleston to myrtle beach and in traffic also and speaking of dealers well done to stokes of Charleston S C and to JB for the salesmanship in dealing with this customer. My thanks again to Edmunds site for they really let the buyer beware and having as much knowledge as one can before they arrive at the dealerships, I felt in charge while dealing for the ex odyssey, and also was at ease dealing with peoples first bank for there help. the price 26400.+ 400 and my extras fog, mud,pin stripe and air deflector. only one disappointment (the antenna) its looks like the ugly stick, guess you must have sum humor.keep them wheels on the pavement
  • dwillia4dwillia4 Member Posts: 17
    Yes, I've programmed my Homelink to activate the X-10 (same as Radio Shack) devices. In order to do this you have to have the X10 or (Radio Shack) RF transmitter. The RF transmitter comes with a receiver module that plugs into the wall. The receiver sends commands to any modules you have plugged in. To see what I'm talking about, go to:

http://www.smarthome.com/4000.html

You program the Homelink using the transmitter. You can get the transmitter/receiver combo for around $40. I've seen them at Home Depot, Radio Shack, etc. I've programmed buttons 2 and 3 to turn on and off my garage and exterior lights. Button 1 works the garage door. Works great.
  • davida5davida5 Member Posts: 21
    I put down a deposit on an Odyssey EX at a Honda dealership in Southern California yesterday because I saw the sign from the highway. How's that for a criterion? They seem nice enough, but it would be easier to pick up from a dealer closer to home (San Jose area). I don't want to pay more than MSRP. I remember a post about Merced - is this the best/only option?
  • dcrislerdcrisler Member Posts: 118
    mschafer ... I was about to ask why you had to buy the egr valve... then read the post about having 80k miles!! amazing, have you recieved your $50. yet?

You can get the X10 tranciever pieces much cheaper than $40.00!! Try X10.com. I bought my last 2 for less than $10.00. Oh and also every now and then you can sign up for a free firecracker, it is a product that uses the wireless reciever to allow your windoze 95 + system to act as a remote. You get all the pieces you need for free plus shipping.

I have yet to get my homelink to work with my new rolling code genie door opener!! I have tried everything. Holding the buttons down much longer for each step did not fix it, although I think it thinks it is programmed. It just does not open the door.
  • exindenverexindenver Member Posts: 32
    dcrisler,
    I have the Genie intellicode remote and didn't have any problem programing the Homelink on the Ody. Try it again, it should work. Try clearing the Homelink on the Ody first by holding the 2 outside buttons down until the red light flashes (warning, this will clear all 3 buttons). BTW, did you train your Genie garage door opener (not the remote but the power unit)after you trained your Homelink? You shouldn't have to hold the buttons down any longer than it is required to get the indicated feedback from the Homelink or opener as described in the instructions e.g. flashing light blinks faster or stays on etc. You should be able to tell from the feed back signal if your individual training steps were successful.
    Good luck.
  • mschafermschafer Member Posts: 317
    No, Sam whatever his number was did not put his money where his mouth was; but, then, I didn't really expect him to. I think the word is "TROLL". *:o))

As to the EGR valve, the TCS and Check Engine lights have been coming on. The DTC error codes indicated EGR problems. Replacing the EGR did not cure the lights, and the same codes show up. Now they want to decarbonize/purge the EGR flow passageways in the manifold for $120. Before I let them do that, I may let another mechanic read the codes and give me his opinion.

The van runs fine. The lights just keep coming on.
  • robbucrobbuc Member Posts: 4
    A dealership in Jacksonville, FL told me that a recent heavy snowfall collasped the roof at the Odyssey assembly line. They have shut down production until the roof is fixed. Does any one know about this or is this a snowjob on me?
  • timothyadavistimothyadavis Member Posts: 322
    To be fair (and anal retentively precise), cliffyb did not call sam7068 a liar (blatant or otherwise). What cliffyb did was point out that the oft-repeated mantra of sam7068 claiming that the 1999 Odyssey would show up in the April issue of Consumer Reports as a used car to be avoided ("Why is '99 Odyssey on the Consumers Reports car to Avoid list?") is, in fact, a blatant lie. I suspected that it was.

Sam has some issue with the Odyssey that makes him attack without too much concern for actual facts. It is more than fair, I think, to take such blanket statements and identify them as false. While not PC, it is nonetheless true that the frequently-posted statement in question was both "blatant" (in every sense of the word) and a "lie."

Personally, I doubt that Sam is generally a liar. Really accomplished liars tend to avoid making the mistake of saying things (especially in writing) that are so easily checked for veracity and so clearly proven to be false.
  • mojo66mojo66 Member Posts: 83
    I just finished reading an article about the possible risks of using tire chains on cars equipped with ABS brakes. One of the largest makers of tire chains says they may disable the ABS system because the computers don’t pick up the correct sensing. They say the only way to get rid of the snow buildup on chains that occurs when stopping in snow is to pump the brakes manually, which conflicts with the procedure using ABS, in that you should never pump the brakes because the system can do it much faster. The companies that make the ABS systems say ABS is not affected by chains and drivers should apply firm, steady pressure as they normally would with ABS. The automakers are pretty much non-committal. GM’s director for safety integration said using tire chains does change the nature of a tire’s contact patch, which makes me wonder if using chains would have a negative impact on the ABS and TCS system since chains, in effect, lift the tire from the road. Nobody seems to have the definitive answer on this subject.

Because some states like California require chains to be used in mountain areas with snow, I am wondering if it’s a good idea to put the chains on the Odyssey’s rear wheels instead of the fronts, allowing for better steering control by letting the ABS and TCS work on the front tires without the interference of chains.

Has anyone experienced having the ABS or TCS engage on an Odyssey with tire chains on? If so, did anything out of the ordinary happen?

Thanks in advance for your input.
    the URL works now. Man, you're all over it : ) Thanks again.
  • tom1965rtom1965r Member Posts: 1
    We own a 2000 Odyssey and would like to put 2 car seats in the 3rd row and use tethers. Is it possible to install tether anchors somewhere under/behind 3rd row? Has anyone done this themselves or had a dealer install?
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    tom1965r - at the top of the rear well by the hatch opening are three caps/covers. If you remove those, Honda sells tether attachments that screw in there. This effectively renders the well unusable.
  • dwilkersdwilkers Member Posts: 6
    I could call and check (I still know a few guys that work at the Alliston, Ontario plant), but this is bogus for two reasons:

1) I kinda think they'd build these factories to withstand a good deal of snowfall. I was there a couple of years ago in January when they had one of the worst snowfalls ever . . shutting the air point down, downtown Toronto was a mess . . and it didn't cause an problems at the factory whatsoever.

2) Severe snowfall like that (roofs caving in) would make news elsewhere

3) If the roof fell in, I would suspect it would be a small area and they would fix it within a couple of days. The Honda folks are relentless production people.

Go tell your dealer he's full of hooey.
    Maybe it's a matter of semantics, but if someone says I made a blatant lie, I'd say they called me a blatant liar.

As for the issue of Consumer Reports, it was my intention to point out that this has been discussed a couple times on this forum (most recently posts near 794 and 796 on 1/21/00 around 5-6PM). Based on the email I received, and what appears to be on the CR website, I'd say the "blatant lie" is more like "speculation based on existing data." I am almost certain the April '01 auto issue will show the 1999 Odyssey to be well below average in reliability based on this information. Whether or not it will be on the "Used Cars to Avoid" list is speculation. None of this is to excuse Sam7068's trolling. Sam7068's biggest problem was claiming it was in the April 2000 issue, even though he had preceded it with the future tense implying that he meant the 2001 issue. Either way, the 1999 Odyssey will not be rated well by CR for reliability. Maybe grplavloff can fill us in as to whether the '99 Odyssey is already listed as a used car to avoid on the website.

Of course, if Edmunds had a search utility or still allowed you to load all posts in a thread to do a browser search, this may not have come up....
    OK. You are certainly a level-headed and fair poster, to be sure. I did not mean to attack you one bit. I understand pet peeves, having many myself, and am guessing that this particular "fine point" is one for you.
    Now, not to be facetious (well, at least, not too facetious! ;-)), perhaps "blantant lie" should have been "inflammatorilly-stated, assumption-based speculation misrepresented as fact?" However, to me, someone who does the former and someone who does the latter are in pretty much the same high-ignorability, low-trust zone.

Peace and may your valuable postings continue.
    I think there really is a useful distinction to be made between pointing out that a statement is a lie and that the person making it is a liar. Is there anyone here or anywhere -- have you ever even heard of someone, other than that One, -- who never, ever lied in their entire life?!? Certainly, the fact of one lie does not a liar (one having the character flaw of lying frequently) make. Otherwise, we are all provably liars! So, pointing out a lie does not constitute calling the person a liar. That is unless it is the pointing out that makes a liar and not the propensity to lie itself.
    I'll concede the liar issue, I wish I could concede the reliability issue as well:-)

I should also state that, according to the same e-mail, the 2000 Odyssey did at least average. I suspect the poor reliability for the 1999 Odyssey may well be due to "first year syndrome", recalls, and the power door issues that appear to be much worse for that year. Guess we'll find out in about a month.
  • dodger4dodger4 Member Posts: 3
    We also were told by our Jacksonville dealer that the roof collapsed at the plant due to snowfall. If anyone knows what the truth is I would really like to know.
  • gallivergalliver Member Posts: 2
    Hi all,

I've read this board for about two months, but since I never had anything to contribute, I never posted. That's about to change: we pick up our 2001 GG LX on Saturday; no dealer add-ons, MSRP-$200. The salesman (who has been great (so far) in all respects) mentioned something about adding floormats as an option. When I mentioned that I thought the floormats were included, he said that they're standard on the EX, but not the LX.

True?

The printed Odyssey brochure says, under "Interior Features," that floormats *are* standard equipment for both the LX and the EX. A studied reading of the "Standard Equipment" listing on the Edmunds.com review, however, seems to indicate that floormats are only included on the EX.

I suppose I could call up Honda and ask directly, but this way I have an excuse to bother y'all and introduce myself to the group besides.

Thanks!
    -- sdg
    They are included on the 2001 LX. The final proof will be included in the MSRP/Features sticker on the van you pick up. Ask to see it if they give you a hassle.
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    They are included on the 2001 LX. The final proof will be included in the MSRP/Features sticker on the van you pick up. Ask to see it if they give you a hassle.

I have been told many times that the MSRP sticker by federal law is to remain attached to the vehicle and is to be removed by the owner.
    Wow, we are over a thousand, don't we start a new one or does the new software allow us to continue.
    I think you are undoubtedly right on the bogusity (bogusness? bogusliness?) of the Alliston Honda factory supposed roof collapse. I checked the Toronto Star Newspaper's web site and found an article dated January 27, 2001 titled Chrysler building cheaper van for U.S. mentioning that Honda factory (just use their site search with the word "Alliston" -- I tried to link the result, but the path exceeds the 100 character max for posting here) . No other more recent news was found. So I think it didn't happen due to their lack of coverage. That is unless it happened last night (though the site has the Ashcroft confirmation news from an hour ago, so even that isn't likely) or they get so many factory roof collapses that it just isn't news anymore.
  • rogerberkowitzrogerberkowitz Member Posts: 31
    darn, missed it
    Not necessarilly, rogerberkowitz! Since this new software dynamically numbers the postings, you can retroactively get post number 1000. Since your post is now numbered 1005, you just need to go back and find 5 of your posts, delete them, and voila! you have post number 1000. It kind of takes the thrill out of getting it when there was only one shot at it, but will help cut down on some of the post clutter in these topics! ;-)
    I did see this article from 12/17/00 which had a vague reference shutdown caused by a fire at a supplier:

http://www.simcoe.com/news/stories121700/was.html

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Mstang--thanks! (pretty good for a Quester, eh? ).

dmathews3--the new software doesn't "blow up" at ~500 posts like the old stuff did, so there's no mandatory cut-off. We may impose an arbitrary limit if it improves the reader's experience, but for now we're going to push the envelope.
    Steve
    Host
    SUV and Vans Message Boards
  • billg7billg7 Member Posts: 342
    Since the software only downloads a limited number of messages to your computer, I don't see the advantage of having a cutoff. When we do get a cutoff I then have to save the new Favorite Place to my computer. Have even had a problem finding it again in the past.

By not having a cutoff it is easier if you want to go back and search the archives. In order to do that now you have to search through Honda Odyssey I through XXX and go back and find each heading I through XXX individually

Don't see why we could not have 99,000 messages. After a while it would crowd the Subject line.
  • lsg1lsg1 Member Posts: 42
    I was just wondering...on the 2001 EX model, it says that it has an alarm. Is it a full alarm that has ignition cut off, glass protection, and a siren and also is it passive(it sets itself)? Or is it a basic alarm that uses the vans horn, and has to be set with the transmitter?

Thanks
  • dwilkersdwilkers Member Posts: 6
    I would be very interested to find out whether or not this were in fact true.

If it is true, what kind of problems are the '99s having, and is it affecting the '00 and '01 models?

I guess I wouldn't be floored to find out that this were true. It was the first year for a completely new model at a brand new plant . . all on a vehicle that was larger than anything Honda had ever built before. I read somewhere that they got some type of advice from Ford on dealing with the large liftgate, but that's just a vague memory of mine and I don't remember any specifics (and I am probably completely wrong).

I just hope they got it right on my '01.
    I would think that most of those complaints on the 99's were recalls like the hinges etc. on the doors which should now be fixed. Also same goes for the drifting to the right. Most were fixed by using the EX wheels and tires and now they also have the sub-frame re-adjust so to all those Odyssey owners who filled out the CR questionair I would think it would be nul-and-void. So the 99's should now be up to the usual Honda quality.
    Again just my opinion.