Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Odyssey 1999 - 2004

Comments

• jamescaninejamescanine Member Posts: 13
    Thanks to aerocruise, billg7, and jmurman42 for your responses regarding the recommended 1st oil change. Anybody out there found the 5w20 oil? Aerocruise, did a lot of oil spill out of the filter site when you changed just the filter and not the oil? Sounds like changing the filter at an earlier time is a good idea to me. Appreciate any thoughts.
  • grplavloffgrplavloff Member Posts: 138
    Yesterday I spent about 2 hours at a Toyota dealer negotiating a price on a Sienna. At one point, when I mentioned Odysseys, the salesman tried to scare me off by insisting that "they are all Canadian models around here and you'll regret it when you try to sell them with the tampered odometers." I assume that it's a "selling point" they're taught, sorta like "all Caravans have transmission problems."
  • cavillercaviller Member Posts: 331
    "There are something like 15-20 times as many of those on the road as there are Odysseys, so you would expect 15-20 times more posts in the complaint boards if all else was equal. In reality, the ratio is much smaller. "

A common misconception, as all else is definitely not equal. Please do not try to obtain any statistical analysis from post quantity of online forums (I realize grplavloff did not do this, but others have). These are not suitable for such data taking, as are well-designed polls or surveys. Demographics can vary widely, for example, enthusiast cars will often generate many more posts than mass-market compact cars even though they have much lower sales volume. Similarly, the general Odyssey forums have always been among the most active of all minivan forums (were up to XXX before the new format). Likewise the "Problems" forums were also very active.

If you're looking for information on reliability, CR is a better bet even though it has its own set of flaws (poorly worded surveys, only surveys its own subscribers). JD Power's Dependability surveys, Carpoint's reliability information and Jack Gillis' Car Book's complaint index all offer other useful reliability data, corrected for number of vehicles sold.

FYI, Carpoints info is here:

http://carpoint.msn.com/home/reliability_ratings.asp?src=tips

Jack Gillis' Ultimate Car Book 2000 gives these numbers for its complaint ratio, higher is better (fewer problems):

Toyota Sienna:6

Honda Odyssey:5

Mercury Villager:5

Mazda MPV:5

Nissan Quest:4

Dodge Caravan:2

Chrysler Town&Country:1

Ford Windstar:1

The last 3 were among the worst 20 of all vehicles according to this index. For reference, the best 3 were the Acura RL, Honda CR-V and Saturn SC while the worst 3 were the Kia Sportage, Chevy S-series pickup and Toyota Tacoma.

These other sources all have their share of flaws. JDP doesn't break its data down by model unless you are a full subscriber. Carpoint surveys independent repair shops for its data, while the Car Book's complaint index is normalized from complaints reported to the NHTSA.

• aerocruiseaerocruise Member Posts: 7
    Changing only the filter on Odysseys is really quite simple, that is if you have experience with this before and have a good quality oil filter wrench. With the vehicle on the ground, cut the wheels hard right and let it sit overnight so that the majority of the oil in the block runs down in the pan. We know that good oil change practice says drain the oil warm ,but in this case, we're trying to keep most of Honda's mystery break in oil , but replacing the filter to sreen out more of those nasty metal particles common in all new engines. Of course, you'll want to keep a small plastic (like a 2 gallon capacity) container under the filter and you will find that slightly less than a 1/2 quart empties into the pan after you loosen it and spill out what's left in the old filter. The real important step here is to replace that lost oil in the new filter... very slowly - give it time to allow it to settle and expel the air in the filter media. Now you are ready to screw the new filter on(remember to oil the seal), tighten by hand and another 1/2 turn or so by wrench,start and look for any leaks. In all probability, it will be just fine. Recheck the level once it has sat for a couple of hours.
  • sbpceapsbpceap Member Posts: 67
    I appreciate the above postings, intelligently written on Odyssey reliability vs. competition. A while back on one of these forums one or more writers mentioned that Consumer Reports has downgraded the Odyssey to "below average" reliability, and even listed the '99 Odyssey as a "used vehicle to avoid". Has anybody confirmed this to be true? I subscribe to CR, and the last I read was "average" reliability. This concerns me greatly, because (as I'm sure with you) one of the top reasons I was leaning toward Odyssey was Honda's reliability reputation. If facts (not opinions) show otherwise, I may switch my choice to a more reliable product.
  • minimanminiman Member Posts: 85
    If you are looking for a full-sized minivan (oxymoron, I know) then what's more reliable than an '01 Odyssey? (Not to say this will be most reliable van, but prove to me now that something else is MORE reliable... don't think anyone can.) Sienna is arguably marginally more reliable per CR, but it is clearly smaller (would have been too small for us). All CR tells you with certainty (and with a margin of disappointment for current owners) is the performance of the 1st year Honda van; a vehicle which has improved after recalls involving most of the system complaints in CR. If you can get a left over '00 DC van then perhaps you can extrapolate CR data on '99 DC vans which would be very similar, but for an '01 DC van all bets are off since it's a new model with, yes, power sliding doors (ouch). Of course you could wait until '03 when the '01 data is out, but by then Honda will be on its next redesign and DC will also ax Dodge and Chrysler (like they did to Plymouth), rename themselves Daimler Benz, and no longer manufacture minivans for the American Market. (Sorry, couldn't resist the poke - I once owned a Plymouth, served me well for 5 years/70 k miles until it was too small)
    Few participants here seriously consider GM vans (just look at Edmunds reviews on GM cars and the poor fit and finish), Windstar has its problems, and just about every other van is too small.

One other CR/Odyssey thought - CR typically seperates same brand w/ different engine, but not different trim levels. Wonder if Ody LX would do better than EX w/ less complicated systems (including electrical and body).

When you buy - go with your gut. Good luck.
  • dcrislerdcrisler Member Posts: 118
    Since my last 5 digits are 01359... I don't believe the previous post about US Odyssey's in the 50000 and up range . fwiw.

Let's see something like 20000 posts(this topic alone) relating to the Odyssey... and there are still people out there beating the CR ratings around as a bible. Well we have 16,500 miles on our 00' EX_Navi with 1 count em' 1 problem. We had the pasenger side slider motor replaced during the summer. There is a recall for the multiplexor circuit board... but we have not had the time to get it performed. We did have the ac wiring recall done last year... The van is due for it's 15k checkup... but thats it.

to the previous poster that wanted a Navi manual... don't know why, the navi system is very intuitive and user friendly. However when you purchse the vehicle, make sure you get the Navi radio code... I thought we received ours, but nothing I have done has allowed me to save locatons to the personal profile. So make sure you get yours. I will be trying to get ours resolved at the checkup. Also I do have another slight problem. My remote has a tendency to get the buttons stuck down... I will be asking for a new remote.
  • billg7billg7 Member Posts: 342
    Well 1999 was the first model year. These cars have now been involved in a number of recalls, with redesigns, to correct the problems. I have an end of the year 2000 and so far, after more then 6 months, no recalls on my vehicle.

Now we are into the third year, 2001. I would bet that the 2001 models are going to be rated highly reliable. I know that Honda learns and corrects their mistakes. So don't judge the reliability of the 2001 by the 1999 model. Also those who have the 1999 and the 2000 models have had a number or reliability upgrades added to their cars, increasing their vehicles reliability

For added insurance, for only about $900-$950, you can get the 7yr/100k mile/0 deductble Honda Car Care warranty. When a part fails they will replace it with the latest designed and upgraded part. Say your transmission fails. You would get the latest transmission design with upgraded reliability. If you buy a vehicle which has a brand new design it is a good idea to get the extended warranty for at least the first 2 years. Maybe even the next 3 years of the new design.
  • hotspurhotspur Member Posts: 34
    The January 2001 issue of Consumer Reports said the Ody had "average" reliability and the Sienna "better than average," and the Gillis data posted by caviller shows a marginal advantage for the Sienna. If you view that difference as "significant" (as a non-Ody owner above seems to) then take it into account in your buying decision. I'd keep in mind the 1999 was the Ody's first model year, and from what we've read here (CU has not yet put it into "print") it's problems with the 1999 Ody that have moved the Ody down to "average" overall.

We bought an extended warranty (less than $900) for my wife's Ody and view it as good insurance (we'd have bought one for any brand minivan) on a vehicle with two power sliding doors and a high-tech navigation system. Doing this takes the potential cost of the "reliability" risk out of the equation, and probably still results in equal total cost to a comparably-equipped and *significantly* smaller Sienna.

I'd say it's also important to look closely at what kind of failures are being reported, and are these the kinds that will leave you on the side of the interstate (e.g., transmissions that shoot a pin through the transmission case) or not. While it's no fun taking your vehicle back to the dealer to get a sliding door adjusted, it's less of a problem than having your wife and kids stranded on Interstate 80 waiting for a flatbed.
  • wdaveowdaveo Member Posts: 7
    Hi there. I can't seem to find the Honda Odyssey links page from the link in the first post of this forum. Specifically, I am looking for names and phone numbers of dealers offering the Honda Care Warranty for $885 or so. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks...Dawn
  • bryannbryann Member Posts: 54
    sorry, i tried to get the warranty for under $1000 and couldn't find it from anyone. i got it from my dealer for $1185 for 7/70k $0 deductible. i called around and that was the best i could find in the washingotn metro area. i hope that helps.
  • grossdsgrossds Member Posts: 3
    Anyone trying to "tamper" with an odometer on any vehicle, whether imported from Canada or domestic, would be a fool. In addition to civil penalties, odometer tampering is a federal felony, punishable by up to three years in prison.

The relevant provision of the U.S. Code can be found at:

http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/49/32709.html

There seems to be a lot of misinformation about Canadian Odysseys and the odometer/speedometer switch out. My feeling, FWIW, is that if the switch is done under supervision of the appropriate state agency with responsibility to monitor such things (in my state the State Police), there will not be a problem with the odometer, and the title, accurately reflecting the mileage.
  • rogerberkowitzrogerberkowitz Member Posts: 31
    I bought a Saris 4 bike carrier (expandable to 5). (bought it from Lickton's Bike in Oak Park IL, www.lickbikes.com). It seems to do the job just fine with 4 bikes...we'll be throwing the 5th kids bike on it this year now that junior is peddling on his own.
  • bg18947bg18947 Member Posts: 184
    The posting said six digit number to the right of the H which stands for Canadian plant. Specified ranges: 000001 thru 499999 are for Canadian market; 500001 thru 999999 are for US. I count 6 digits not 5.:-)
  • fultontfultont Member Posts: 13
    For those interested the link below is for a excellent delivery checklist you can use when picking up your van. Also towards the bottom there are several listings of dealers who will sell the Honda Extended Warranty for $895..

http://1netweb.com/checklist.htm

• bg18947bg18947 Member Posts: 184
    The Performance Bicycle bike rack has separaters at the bottom which are useful for tying your cranks/pedals/wheels to, so that you don't have bikes scratching each other. Believe me, if you care about the paint job on $1000+ bikes, it is a must. The others don't have anything convenient for you to tie down the spinning wheels and cranks. The Performance unit is also the least expensive compared to Saris/Yakima/Thule. I can't speak for the other Performance racks, but I highly recommend the Xport. Nothing worse than a pedal scraping paint off the bottom of a downtube.
  • pmcjdpmcjd Member Posts: 1
    Have never really believed in extended warranties but am now questioning whether we should purchase one or not. Seems like everyone has purchased one. Is it worth getting it on the LX? Picking up van tomorrow or next day. Got at MSRP and have waited about 5 weeks. Psyched about getting it....but do I have to worry about reliability???
    I bought one as an insurance policy and for about $950 for the 7/100k/0 it is worth it to me. If you go in and don't bargain with them they will want about twice that.

I now know I don't have to budget for auto repairs, but what I like about it best is if the service department tells me I need to get something fixed on my vehicle, I can just tell them to fix it. Without a warranty I would not trust them and would have to go to all the hassle of taking it to several places to get a second or third opinion. So the warranty buys a lot of piece of mind.

With my last car, with the extended warranty,they made about $6,000 in repairs, most of which was not need, and I got a rental car to drive also.
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    That is a question you can not answer until 7 years after you buy your Odyssey or for that matter any vehicle. If at the end of 7 years you have had no problems or they have totaled less than $885 then it was not worth it. But, if you had a major repair of say a couple thou, and it was under warranty, YES its worth it. The real question is: DO YOU WANT TO TAKE THE CHANCE?
  • ut_ski_bumut_ski_bum Member Posts: 8
    As if piece of mind weren't enough. How about resale value? If you were buying a four year old Ody with 60K miles, would you pay an extra $800 for one that had an extended warranty for another six years or 40K miles. I sure would. I paid $885 for this investment and expect to recover it if I ever have to sell before I hit the 100K mile mark.
    "A common misconception, as all else is definitely not equal. Please do not try to obtain any statistical analysis from post quantity of online forums (I realize grplavloff did not do this, but others have). These are not suitable for such data taking, as are well-designed polls or surveys. Demographics can vary widely, ..."

I agree with this and your suggestion that people look at survey results. The reality, of course, is that these vary widely as well, but at least you have made an attempt to move beyond the anecdotal.
  • lsg1lsg1 Member Posts: 42
    I have my SS 01 EX for exactly one week, and love it. Today was my first chance to drive it in the snow. The streets were really slushy, and the tires were making a really loud sound on the slush. It almost sounded like I was running over rocks. I have never had this on any other van that I owned. The Traction Control light did not come on, so I am thinking it was not TC. Am I correct to assume that when TC comes on, the light goes on?
    Does anyone notice a really loud noise when driving over snowy/slushy roads?

Thanks
    "A while back on one of these forums one or more writers mentioned that Consumer Reports has downgraded the Odyssey to "below average" reliability, and even listed the '99 Odyssey as a "used vehicle to avoid". Has anybody confirmed this to be true? ..."

The Oracle (CR) sez:

1. The `99 Odyssey's reliability rating is below average.

2. The `00 Odyssey's reliability rating is average.

CR has not made any public statement that I know of about how it will do with the `99 Odyssey in its annual auto issue, which is the April issue.
    I seem to remember a few people here in the last few weeks who asked about a dealer in the Western NY area who did not try to add a surcharge to the MSRP. I visited one today - Don Davis Honda (and Pontiac) in the Buffalo area) who does so and was actually quite refreshing in another way. There is a 2-3 month wait on vehicles. The dealer shows you what is scheduled to come in. For a deposit you may choose one and wait. When it comes in you have the option of test-driving it and rejecting it. If you do buy it, you will be charged MSRP for it, but you will be given a discount on any options the dealer adds.
  • the_droid_00the_droid_00 Member Posts: 7
    Anyone know what the paint color % breakdown is for all US manufactured Odysseys? IE 40% are GGM 20% are SS, 10% are white etc.

thanks
  • cwright4cwright4 Member Posts: 4
    It looks like I'm going to go with the Saris. The only other 5 bike one I found was a swagman that was a fixed rack. I prefer the Saris. I am a little worried about how low the hitch is on the van, but guess it will be OK. Thanks for the advice
    That would be a good question for the TV program "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire" That would also be a great question for one of those web search engines.

You could take a statistical sample as you watch Odysseys go by, although it might vary by region. My guess is green is one of the least popular colors as I see few green cars. White must be a popular color as every car model I have ever seen comes in white. I have seen a number of brown ones.

You could go to the Honda site and send an e-mail to the manufactuor and tell them you plan to post it on this board. Maybe their PR department will e-mail you back the information. Be interesting to see the results. I have seen numbers on the most popular car colors for all cars, but don't remember the results. It probably changes as the years go by,and may vary by the region of the country.
  • h20guyh20guy Member Posts: 64
    One year old 8500 miles no problems at all. Yes I purchased 7 year 100k warranty as a peace of mind issue. This is our first "mini" van and it has solved alot of our space and hauling problems, we love the convenience of the "magic seat" but also realize this is not the only choice out there. Hope your choice is as satisfying as ours has been. Enjoy!!!
  • minimanminiman Member Posts: 85
    When TCS is engaged, the light should come on. What I found trying to monitor this is that while negotiating ice and snow, I hardly want my eyes looking at the dash when they belong on the road.
    Sometimes I can see the TCS light flash on out of the corner of my eye, but I am sure there are times I miss it. (TCS did me well in snow on the way home tonight when other cars were getting stranded on small, slippery hills).
    As for the noise, I hear lots of it at times when TCS engages - doubt it is the TCS which I would not expect make noise. More likely, ice, rocks, etc kick up as wheel tries to get traction. When I have engaged TCS on fresh, unplowed/unsanded snow on my small side street, it engages quietly.
  • cliffybcliffyb Member Posts: 114
    I have the consumers reports sport utilities edition magazine and it rates the Oddysey as their top pick for mini-vans. Although it does indicate that the Toyota Sienna is more problem free, the overall package in terms of features is better on the Honda. I can't imagine they would list it as their top pick if it had below average reliability. I think the Toyota is a good choice too. That said, if you bought a Nissan, Chrysler,or Ford, and were lucky enough to have four or five trouble free years, you would still lose in the end on re-sale value. Those guys are putting heavy discounts on their vans because they know what they are worth. It really appeals to the personalities of some people to be able to say "Yep, talked em' into knockin four large off this baby". Then when they realized they got what they paid for they make up stories to defend themselves.
  • cwright4cwright4 Member Posts: 4
    bg, good point about the scratching, but the Performance can't handle 5 bikes. I emailed them and they said no. So, my only options thus far are the Saris and Swagman. I prefer the Saris and will have to deal with bungees/pads to deal with the scraping problem.
    What I said about CR's assessment of the Odyssey's reliability was *very* specific and quite accurate. I did not lie.

Did I misunderstand your note ??
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I don't think that you guys (grplavloff and cliffyb) are on the same page (and I don't think accusations of lying are flying). As I understand it, CR has different issues, and also a web site area for subscribers that publishes some articles earlier than the print edition. CR's recommendations for new vehicle purchases may indeed differ from what their subscriber reliability surveys may yield as far as recommended vehicles. But I'm not a subscriber, so usual disclaimers....

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
    "CR's recommendations for new vehicle purchases may indeed differ from what their subscriber reliability surveys may yield as far as recommended vehicles. ..."

CR will recommend a model "when it performs well in our tests and when our reader-survey data indicate it should be at least average in reliability." - That comes straight out of the guide Mr. Cliffyb referred to. Since, as I said, the 2000 Odyssey got an average reliability score (I was defending the blasted vehicle !), it will be recommended by CR.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Thanks for the clarification!

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
    Consumers Reports says in their April 2000 issue that any vehicle that they put a check mark beside "means the model is recommended: a recent version performed competently in our tests and,based on the models history,we predict that its reliability will be at least average."

For mini vans there are four check rated vehicles in order, Odyssey LX; Toyota Sienna LE; Chrysler Town & Country LX; Dodge Caravan SE. This is for the April 2000 issue.

In later issues the Odyssey is still top rated and check rated so there is no reason to believe the Odyssey will have a below average rating.

I write on the issue when I receive it. I received the April 2000 issue on 03/13/00 so we can expect to know on approximately that date one year later which would be 03/13/01 what the rating is that CR gives the Odyssey. I will post it here if no one else does.

As of the January 2001 issue, which I received on 12/04/00, the Odyssey is still the top rated vehicle and is check rated. Odyssey EX ; Sienna LE; Dodge Grand Caravan Sport are the top rated minivans in that order in that issue, with only the first two check rated. The Grand Caravan is not check rated because they say it is to new to predict its reliability.

Conclusion: The Odyssey will almost certainly be check rated when the CR April 2001 issue comes out in about 5 weeks. How the 1999 model will be rated is a question however.

There is no certainty in the world,except death and taxes, but I am assigning a 90% probability that the Odyssey for years 2000 and above will have at least an average reliability rating and that the Odyssey will continue to be check rated and the top minivan.

If you want more certainty then that in your life you will have to wait about 5 weeks, until the next issue of CR comes out, which will be the April issue as I received the March issue on 01/31/01.
  • george80george80 Member Posts: 7
    While it may be difficult to find out the most popular color for 2001 Odyssey, it is possible to find out the information about '99 and '00 models. Just check the Edmund's Used Van/Light Truck Price. There is a price adjustment for color. Obviously, you would need to enter each color to get the adjustment sum.
  • fultontfultont Member Posts: 13
    This question was posted on another board and I thought it raised a good question. So I posting it hear to see what comments this group has on this. I also have a EX on order so I can not test this out...

"I have a 2001 EX and am curious about how the rear doors are affected in case of an accident. Since the tranny has to be in PARK for the doors to operate (automatic mode), what happens in the event of a frontal or front side impact where the driver would be incapacitated and/or can't get tranny in PARK. How are the doors affected ? The doors are very hard for kids to operate manually. How would they get out ? "

It does make you stop and think.. Anybody have any comment or experience with this?
  • rswartzrswartz Member Posts: 3
    We are considering a EX-NAVI. Why would I buy a Honda NAVI system instead of the latest GPS Handheld system. One obvious advantage is that it is built into the dash, but what about 5 years from now? Is it going to be as upgradable as some of the latest Handhelds, that cost 1/2 the price and can be replaced easily? Also, does it cost to keep it upgraded and updated? Thanks for your help.
  • mtsangmtsang Member Posts: 70
    miniman,

I live in Northern NJ, my experience with my '99 Ody EX in the snow leaves much to be desire. Take yesterday's snow storm for example, the Ody was losing traction going uphill and getting stuck in less than a foot high snow banks. I couldn't manuver snow-covered hills where smaller sedans were able to handle with seemingly no problem. The snow-handling capability of my Ody has been way below expectation - given its weight, FWD and TCS.

On the other hand, I have been reading alot of Ody owner who have re-assuring snow driving experiences. I am wondering if it's the Firestone Affinity tires that I have?! I have 20K miles on the tires and there is still plenty of treads. WHAT KIND OF TIRES DO YOU AND OTHERS HAVE THAT RESULTED IN GOOD SNOW-HANDLING? (not shouting, just want to get attention :) Thanks.

Mike
  • richcolorichcolo Member Posts: 81
    I fitted my 1999 EX with Michelin Artic Alpin snows, got them from Discount Tire Direct, mounted on new steel wheels w/ hubcaps. They aren't as pretty as the alloys but it sure does go in snow. More than once my response to "how are the roads?" has been "They must be bad, everyone else is acting like they're terrible, and people are in the ditches, but I just took it easy and didn't slip at all." I don't know that the Oddy will match a big 4x4 in deep loose snow, but I know that it is very sure footed on ice and packed powder. I have yet to see a single Odyssey in the ditch, which I can't say about most SUV's! Incidently I also have a 1988 Volvo 760 on which I have run Bridgestone Blizzak W-15 tires for 5 winters now. I believe the Blizzaks are better in deep snow, while the Alpins may have the advantage on ice, but both are very good on ice. The Alpins also have the advantage of being quieter than the Firestone Affinity tires...my wife complained when I switched back last spring.
    1) Odyssey is CR's top rated minivan based on their subjective overall rating (i.e. the ratings bars in the review). According to CR, reliability is not a part of their subjective overall rating, except as indicated in previous posts and point #2 below. Of course, editors can always be biased by these reliability ratings when making their subjective overall rating...
    2) As of the 1/01 issue, Odyssey has an "Average" reliability projection. This projection is based on all model years for which the vehicle has the current design (i.e. starting with 1999 for Odyssey). Previous Odyssey reliability projections were based, in part, on the previous generation of Odysseys. CR carried over their excellent reliability projection in their review of a 1999 LX. It is always interesting when they do this, since on many redesigned vehicles (like the new Grand Caravan), they chose instead to give it a "New" rating for reliability.
    3) The website and an e-mail I received BOTH confirm that the 1999 model year Odyssey will be rated below average in reliability. This, presumably, is why the overall projection is now "Average" while the previous projection was above average.
    4) It is still likely Odyssey will be a recommended vehicle (check mark), because it got at least a "Good" evaluation and at least an "Average" reliability projection.
    5) Even so, the 1999 Odyssey may or may not be added to the "Used Cars to Avoid" list. This is still speculation, as there has been no confirmation of this by email or on the website.

There really isn't much to dispute on this. The 1999 Odyssey was a first year model, and it's reliability is going to be worse than average. No one said their overall projection would be worse than average, or that it would cause the Odyssey to lose ground in its overall evaluation. These things could happen in the future, of course, as more reliability surveys are returned. CR frequently adjusts its overall ratings bars even without re-reviewing a vehicle. Case in point, the 1999 minivan reviews put Sienna as the top rated minivan. When the April 2000 issue was released, Odyssey had moved to the top, even though neither Odyssey nor Sienna had been re-reviewed in that time period. This happens quite often, and no explanations are ever given...

CR is not perfect. Its reliability results are based on surveys [poorly worded in my opinion] that are only sent to its subscribers. It's overall reviews are subjective, as with any other magazine. As such, there can be an unbroken cycle where the editor's opinions affect the consumer's reliability surveys and vice-versa. So, don't take CR's word as gospel. I find it valuable, but don't use it as my only reference for automobile information.
  • jmurman42jmurman42 Member Posts: 675
    The Honda Nav system is an upgradeable DVD system, you should have no problem in upgrades.

Now as to why this system works a little different than a hand held GPS. First of all this system is specifically made for roads, and it will prompt you for changes in directions, and alternate routes. Your hand held won't do that. You can also program in your daily schedule and it will map you a route, while giving you ATM's, gas stations and more.

I would suggest that you visit your local dealer and ask to see the next Nav that comes in for a demonstration.

Hope this helps.
  • rogerberkowitzrogerberkowitz Member Posts: 31
    The TCS in our 99 EX is fantastic here in the MN winter. However, I do hear a clicking or grinding noise from the dashboard area when it kicks in. Does anyone else hear that?
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Just like richcolo, we put Michelin Arctic Alpins on steel wheels on our Y2K EX. Thus far, they have been great. I have not used snows since 1984, but decided to with this van as it is our primary family transport. Drove it on snow packed , iced, and wet roads this AM. Flawless. TCS lit up a couple of times, but stable otherwise.

Only complaint is that the tires sing on wet pavement, but you get used to it.
  • timothyadavistimothyadavis Member Posts: 322
    Your posting was extremely well-written, clear, informative, non-inflammatory while managing to include some of your own (also clearly represented as such) opinion, and exemplary in every discernable way. This makes your post stand out as well above the average quality level found in even this very high quality Odyssey forum.

Please, immediately cease and desist from such postings as they make the rest of us look bad. If you will kindly descend once again down to the level of the rest of us, it would be greatly appreciated. Mediocraty possesses large quantities of gravity.

Tongue-firmly-in-cheekily yours,
    TAD ;-)

PS Lest the wrath of the skim-readers fall heavily on my head, let me say that you have my highest compliments for posting in the very best way.
    If it pleases the court:

Odyssey RULEZ! All other minivans suck! Consumer Reports is clearly biased against 1999 Odysseys. All of these facts are supported by irrefutable evidence, which I cannot post at this time.

Thank you.
  • timothyadavistimothyadavis Member Posts: 322
    much better, er ah, worse, er... preferable?!

Whatever.... ;-)
  • michaelr3michaelr3 Member Posts: 1
    My wife and I have a '99 LX. The original Firestone Affiitys
    were terrible last winter in the snow here in Cleveland. To make matters worse, they wore out quickly, 5/32 of tread with less than 23K miles.
    I replaced them in late Nov. '00 with Michelin Symetrys. Much, much better. I personally think these are an excellent all season tire choice. We have Blizzaks on our '89 Accord which also perform exceptionally well in the snow. Good seasonal choice. I suggest dumping the Affinitys. If your budget allows a winter and summer tire arrangement you will get optimal performance. If not, then I think the Symetrys are a good compromise.
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    You may be interested Townhall's Honda Odyssey GPS Navigation system discussion topic. I believe you will find that most of your potential questions (and answers to the questions) are in there.

Hope this helps!

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket and Accessories message boards