Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Legacy/Outback Wagons Maintenance & Repair

Comments

• ebony5ebony5 Member Posts: 142
    Well the car was only sitting for 2 days. The battery (a Subaru)was purchased in March of 2002. Should I need a new battery? Any suggestions on a replacement? Consumer Reports rates the Napa Legend 7535 highest and a best buy at $60.00, it is also maintenance free which ii prefer, but I am open to suggestions.
  • gunny3gunny3 Member Posts: 4
    currently there are only 4 manufactures of car batteries in the US, the largest being GNB and Interstate, which makes batteries for just about every auto manufacturer out there that puts "their" name on it, go to Sams's Club, spend $35 on the very same battery you would pay 60 for, and it will have a 2 year replacement warranty. At around 18 months, go back to sams and have them replace it for free.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A reporter would like to talk with owners of vehicles with headlight covers that are becoming cloudy or yellowed. Please respond to jfallon@edmunds.com with your daytime contact info, vehicle details and a few words about your experience no later than Thursday, May 11.

Thanks,
    Jeannine Fallon
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Show me what the lock looks like? I'll check if it would fit mine, though it's a '98 Forester and the hitch may be a bit different.

I don't use a lock for mine, my bikes aren't that valuable! :D

-juice
  • bat1161bat1161 Member Posts: 1,784
    I had a Hidden Hitch on my 2000 OB, which worked great. I had bought it from etrailer.com, and had Paisan's group install it.

On my 06 Bean, I went to Uhaul this time around. For around $300, they installed it, wired it, and that includes a lifetime warranty on it. Works fine on my old bike rack, as well as the new one.

Mark
  • lfdallfdal Member Posts: 679
    Wes,

The head had about 3000 miles since the pistons were replaced. I can't help but wonder if they blocked an oil port.

Larry
  • markk1markk1 Member Posts: 30
    Twice in the last couple of months my AT temperature light has started flashing. In both cases I was within a half mile of my destination. After parking and re starting the engine (a couple of hours later) the light was off. I noted nothing unusual with the transmission either time. The subaru manual indicated to call the dealer which I did after the second time. The dealer basically said if the light was no longer flashing they did not have anything to go on but if it kept happening I should bring it in. A couple of other notes the first time this happened the car stalled (but started right away) at a light. Also I have a rebuilt transmission that the dealer put in about 10 months ago. Anyone seen this before or have any ideas?
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,784
    Well, the good thing is that they replaced it quickly and (I assume) free of charge to you. The bad part is that you and your wife had the experience, which ends up being yet another black mark against the car! :mad:
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • nguyendnguyend Member Posts: 2
    2006 OBW 2.5i Ltd with 2,500 miles here. I was wondering if the 2.5i Ltd uses/can use synthetic oil or not. If so, I'd like to know what the advantages/disadvantages would be in using synthetic fuel from here on out. Any help appreciated

Thanks
  • kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    Any car can use synthetic oil as long as you use the recommended viscosity and follow regular oil and filter changes.

Synthetic oils have an advantage over conventional oils in their ability to resist breakdown and sludging. In short, a synthetic will typically last longer and are well suited to high performance engines.

With the 2.5i engine, you probably won't see much, if any advantage with using synthetic. You may see a very slight improvement in fuel economy and your engine may be cleaner at 200K miles.

Ken
  • friendly_jacekfriendly_jacek Member Posts: 96
    I have 2000 and I'm well familiar with the flashing A/T light.
    It means the TCU registered an error. The dealer is wrong, the code is stored in the TCU memory and can be retrieved by their select scanner. You can also retrieve it yourself by using the low-tech "subaru TCU secret handshake procedure" (google for this exact phrase). Hope its s simple sensor issue (I had a problems with TPS).

BTW, why and when (milage) you replaced a tranny. I use my car for some towing and thus I baby the AT: synth ATF every 30000, ATF cooler, ATF temp gauge. So far so good, I've heard about some ATs failing in 2000 subarus.
    I bet you have the dreaded HG failure.
    The problem is that the symptoms in the HG failure in 97-99 subarus are atypical and get misdiagnosed a lot by people not used to subarus. Go to a place that specializes in subarus.
  • kendrithkendrith Member Posts: 1
    1. I've just been told my head gaskets need replacing on my 2001 Subaru Outback. It has 92,000 km on it. The cost will be approximately $1500(CDN). I don't know much about cars and so I am wondering if this is a common problem and an issue with the car in so far that Subaru should be helping to pay for this.
    2. I've replaced two clutches on the vehicle. The first was paid for by Subaru. The second they paid 1/2 - $750. I feel it is still not good in that at low speeds it does not handle well - I have to "ride" the clutch so it doesn't stall.

Any comments on either issue?

Thank you. K
    I fixed it. This is a follow up for thomps13 or anyone else with the same problem.
    I did 2 things at the same time, so not sure what was the fix:
    1. disconnected, cleaned with acetone, greased with dialectric grease and reconnected 3 main connectors in the engine bay.
    2. readjusted the TPS sensor again by loosening the screws and rotating slightly while observing the voltage with ignition on. Now, its within specs. The trick was to turn ignition off and on a few times to get rid of the buzzing sound. It you play with TPS, you will know what sound I'm talking about.
    Here in US, the 2000-2003? subarus have extended warranty on this (8 years/100000 miles) as it's a known problem. Did you do the coolant additive recall? This is the only condition of the extended warranty. Talk to your dealer.
  • ucfknight91ucfknight91 Member Posts: 6
    This is the lock. It is kind of hard to see, but from this angle it is about two inches wide, but if you turn it on it's side it a little over an inch wide.

STL - Snug Tite Lock
  • famof3kidsfamof3kids Member Posts: 160
    Hopefully the 2003 isn't included as I haven't received any recalls about a coolant additive. I think I read elsewhere that this only covered the 2000-2002 models.
    I see, that looks like it would fit on mine, I think.

I have the OE hitch for the '98 Forester, so it's 1.25" square and has a flat plate welded to the bottom of it with hooks there so you can chain your trailer just in case the tow ball fails.

Let me try to find a good picture...side and back views.

Clearance is a bit tight. Looks like I have at most 2" top to bottom. Does yours look like that?

-juice
  • goosegoggoosegog Member Posts: 206
    My 2000 OB has just over 60,000 km. I was notified about the coolant additive and have been using it. The extended warranty on head gaskets DOES NOT apply in Canada so all I can do is keep my fingers crossed.

I'm on my second clutch. Replaced at 57,000 earlier this year because of slippage.

I also had to replace the upstream O2 sensor and the knock sensor to get rid of codes which lit the CE light.
    No. Mine doesn't look like that. I wish it did. I will have to take a picture of it so that you can see what I mean. Mine has a plate on the bottom similar to yours, but wider. Then, it has another shorter plate on the top of the receiver that curves down on either side in an arc. If it just went straight out, then it would probably be fine. Because it hangs over the sides, it partially blocks access to the sides of the receiver where the hole for the pin is located. I'll try to get a picture of it so that its clearer.
  • stevenm1stevenm1 Member Posts: 25
    To ensure long clutch life, it is important to keep the clutch properly adjusted. Two of our Subaru's (95 Impreza and 98 Legacy) have manual transmissions; the Impreza had its clutch replaced at 110,000 miles and the Legacy at 140,000 miles. I've noticed for both of them that the clutch fork adjustment needs to be checked frequently. It is easy to check, even if you are not mechanically inclined. If the clutch fork does not have the clearance it needs, the clutch may be dragging constantly and it's life will be drastically shortened.
    Here's a couple shots of my hitch...

Subaru OEM Hitch

Subaru OEM Hitch

The second shot shows the Thule Lock attached to the threaded pin.

By the way - what do you use to display your images?
    Wow, that is very different. I doubt it's even the same manufacturer.

I guess you could apply heat and bend that bracket back a bit. Too bad it doesn't flare upward.

As a Community Host I am helping Edmunds test a few features, but I think they ended up adopting other ideas.

-juice
  • fibber2fibber2 Member Posts: 3,786
    The Subi hitch on my '02 OBW is structured much like the one on Juice's.

I have a Yakima rack, and the lock cylinder is considerably narrower. You might want to see if it is thread compatible with the nut in the bikerack tube. A $20 expense, but less grief than changing the hitch. Other longshot - consider 'trimming' the overhanging tab on the hitch.

Steve
    Yes, that would have been a brilliant design - to have it bend upward. I wish that you worked for Subaru. This design severely limits the use of the hitch.

Well, it would be nice if there was a simpler method of adding images. Something that would take larger images, create a thumbnail size image, and set up the html to display it. I'm just lazy - LOL.
    I use ImageStation some times, but you have to be registered to see the pics.

I've also heard people talk about PhotoBucket.

Edmunds has a new space for members but I forget what it's called, anyone?

-juice
    "Edmunds has a new space for members but I forget what it's called, anyone? "

Carspace.com here at Edmunds.

Mark
    This past weekend I took my 06 3.0 Outback Wagon on a long trip. About 2/3's of the way to my destination, I noticed the TPMS light blinking on the dash. When I checked the pressure, all the tires were at 40. I had started out with all 4 still at my wiinter setting of 36.

I know the light is supposed to come on when the tire pressure is below 29 psi, but my question is does it come on when the pressure is too high?

Once at my destiantion I did drop the pressure to 34psi all around and had no problems coming home.

Thanks,
    Mark
  • goosegoggoosegog Member Posts: 206
    I have been told by those who should know (dealer), that the clutch is not adjustable on my 2000 model. I do tow a light trailer at times, but always go easy on the clutch to avoid the probably toxic fumes it produces.
    I would find that shocking, if true. Any system that experiences wear needs to have a method of adjustment. No wonder the clutch goes out so frequently. :sick:
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • jfljfl Member Posts: 1,396
    Edmunds has a new space for members but I forget what it's called

That's just great, juice! :P

I'll bet Edmunds spent lots of time and possibly money coming up with a catchy and memorable name...and you forget!

Edmunds, you should ask for a refund.

Jim
    Refund? They never paid me.

Hey, wait a sec, maybe I should ask them to. :D

http://www.carspace.com/ateixeira

-juice
  • gldnhrtgldnhrt Member Posts: 2
    I have a 98 Brighton wagon. I have to trickle the gas in at a slow pace to keep the pum[p running. Tried putting hose clamps on the EVAC canister (read it here) and no help. Anyone out there with the answer? Filling up is really a pain, it takes 30 mins.
  • markk1markk1 Member Posts: 30
    Update I had the problem again and took it to the dealer who indicated that the TCU indicated some sort of air / vacum leak but when they troubleshot that they found it was an issue with the TCU computer itself we needs to be replaced costing $345 for the part-(

The tranny was replaced at about 70k it would occaisionly not engage, the shop told me a pump likely failed in the tranny. Subaru picked up the cost of the rebuilt tranny -) and I only had to pay labor
    That was nice of them, except that the labor is typically the expensive part. Maybe not for a transmission, though!
  • lfdallfdal Member Posts: 679
    Wes,

Labor was a comparitive bargain on 03 OBW - tranmission $4200, labor $600. I'm still a fan of Subies overall, but we're getting rid of the 03 right before her 6 year - 80000 mi extended warranty expires.

Larry
    I think that is a good move, Larry! Overall, I still like Subaru as well, but had I just a little more resolve I would have dumped mine a month after I purchased it. There are always bad apples in the bushel.

On a side note, I spotted a Gold Opal limited the other day at Home Depot and pointed it out to my wife saying, "that is the car Wesley and I test drove." She said, "that one? Wow, that is beautiful! I would really like that." Oh... um.... uh.... I need to learn to keep my mouth shut. :blush:
  • jfljfl Member Posts: 1,396
    juice, I meant Edmunds should get a refund from the company they hired to come up with the catchy name...that you didn't remember. :surprise:

Jim
    A-ha!

No, it's my memory, not the marketing.

They say 2 things happen as you age, 1 is you start to lose your memory, the other I forget.

;)

-juice
  • rangnerrangner Member Posts: 336
    Whenever I apply the brakes the first couple of times after I start up when I'm going forward my 00 OBW clinks like maybe the cv joints are dry or maybe caliper bolts need retorqueing? After a few brake applications, it's quiet. Thoughts?

Eric
    Have the brakes checked out. Calipers can seize up if they weren't lubed up properly at the last service.

Or it could be surface rust binding some of the surfaces together.

I'd check the brakes soon.

-juice
  • rwwdjwrwwdjw Member Posts: 8
    we have a 2002 vdc wagon which we thought could tow a boat since the posted limit was 2000 lbs. but it couldn't due to class 0ne hitch and brakes really meant for 1000 load.
    the new wagons are advertised as having 3000 lb. capacity for the 6 cyl. and 2700 lb. for the 4 cyl. however, the car still comes w a class one hitch. class one hitch by definition is limited to 200 lb. tongue wt. and 2000 lb load.
    does anyone know if it would be safe to tow a boat/trailer w a wt. of about 2400 lb w the new wagon (either model) given it only has a class one hitch?
  • stevenm1stevenm1 Member Posts: 25
    Last year, I installed a Class 2 receiver hitch on my 1998 Legacy wagon. The only problem with it is that the ground clearance in the back is reduced; the car doesn't have much ground clearance to begin with. I use it to tow a Lund 16' skiff, which amounts to about a 1800 lb load. The car does fine except it doesn't pass slower vehicles well when going up hills. I don't remember the brand; however, I do know that Curt Manufacturing makes a Class 2 hitch for the Subaru.
  • rwwdjwrwwdjw Member Posts: 8
    thanks- i'll check it out
  • sfsundaysfsunday Member Posts: 1
    Hi, sorry, does anyone know about Justys? I have a no spark situation and tested the pickup coil's two wires and found they were open, I assumed it was a PM generator, got the new one and it's open between the prongs too. I only see two wires but the bolt holes are lined with copper so I'm getting suspicious. Again, I couldn't find a justy chat. Sash sfsunday@hotmail.com
  • ncctncct Member Posts: 2
    Hi everyone,

I would like some suggestions to the following things I want to do to my legacy wagon 06:

add an arm extension
    tint the windows
    add a trailer hitch
    stop the roof rack from making so much noise

thanks, ctnc
    For the armrest extension, the consensus on here has been to go with the JDM version. It has an extra storage area in the top. I believe a link is here on the board some place -try doing a search.

Tinting- Go for it, it makes the wagon look a lot better. Depending on your car color go with either 30% or 20% tint.

Trailer hitch - It's a Class II hitch. If you are going to do it yourself, check out etrailer.com -they are even having a sale this weekend. Otherwise, check out UHaul. For around $290 you will have the hitch installed, wired and lifetime warranty.

Roof rack -not sure. I've read on the boards here that if you adjust the position of the crossbars, it will affect how noisy they are.

Mark
    No spark? I'd change the plugs, then the wires, then the ignition coil (or was it a distributor cap+rotor back then?), in that order.

Tint - I have SolarGard dyed film on mine. People said it would fade but 8 years later it has not. I like it. Mine is a 35% tint. 20% is very dark, 5% is limo tint. I would not go too dark or you'll have trouble parking in a dark parking lot.

I added the OE hitch myself, it came with the harness and all, for my '98 Forester. Yours will be different, though.

Roof rack - the cross bars should be like the wings of an airplane, round surface pointing forward, pointy end facing back. Many times we've seen this reversed.

Remember you can even take them off completely when not using them.

-juice
  • larrycrowelllarrycrowell Member Posts: 33
    Good news. I have a 2005 OBXT MT and it has always been plagued by mid-throttle acceleration hesitation and surging and holes in power delivery. Many people have posted these same problems in this forum. Early on I visited the dealer about it and was told to "buy better gas". Yeah, what a gas alright. I have been pestering the dealer about it and today their lead technician revealed that within a few weeks Subaru will be releasing an ECU upgrade and the necessary hardware/tools to enable this upgrade to be done at the dealer (about 1 hour). I'm optimistic and will post the results when my upgrade is installed. Have faith.
  • subarujonsubarujon Member Posts: 13
    I just installed a Subaru hitch on my 2003 LL Bean Outback wagon; that was easy. I am having trouble finding the wiring harness inside the vehicle into which the trailer wiring plugs. It is supposed to be on the passenger side coming down from the wheel well. There are some wires there but I cannot grasp any loose connector. I have already pulled a tube loose when I was feeling around...I hope it was not for the rear windshield washer....I will test tomorrow...I justed stopped tonight before I got into more trouble. Thanks for the help.

Jon