Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Checking Tire Pressure

mjohns7861mjohns7861 Member Posts: 41
Forgive me if this is a stupid question. But I have had difficult time monitoring the pressure of my tires and using the tire guage I have. I take it one should only check tire pressure when the tire is cold. However getting a consistant reading seems almost impossible - is there a precise way of inserting the gauge into the valve stem to get the proper reading? One moment it will read 60psi, then 30psi, then 40psi, etc. What is the proper technique?

Comments

• easyrider300measyrider300m Member Posts: 1,116
    make sure you place guage tightly onto valve--you should hear no air leakage when put on properly--hold it onto the valve for several seconds once the needle moves; be sure you dont hear any hissing ----yes, you should check pressure when cold. If you have major temperature changes in weather, the tires will read differently---cold weather will cause a lower reading compared to warm weather--in the winter, be sure to add air to bring the tire to manufacturers specs (or a few pound higher if you like better handling and longer tire life) . If you prefer a higher pressure for better handling, you will get a slighly harder ride.
    I prefer a guage with a dial reading as opposed to the stick type that is much more difficult to read. You should spend at least $10 for a decent guage although even some of the cheap guages are within reason for accuracy.

I inflate my tires about 4 pounds over manufacturers specs as I like better handling and longer tire life. I sacrifice a little in ride quality but feel its worth it.

Hope this helps
    Easyrider300M
  • mjohns7861mjohns7861 Member Posts: 41
    ....very helpful responses that I will put into practice.

Take care,

Magnus
  • wtd44wtd44 Member Posts: 1,208
    There is no need to spend $10, just get a good gauge from an American manufacturer (NAPA sells an excellent gauge for considerably under $10). Do not hold the valve open with your gauge longer than about one second. You will quickly learn the technique with just a little practice. Let your tires cool for two hours or more before checking the pressure.
  • jfljfl Member Posts: 1,396
    I strongly urge you to read "tire gauges" in the Aftermarket & accessories section of Townhall.

I followed their recommendations and purchased an Accutire digital gauge on sale at Sears for $8.99. I think it's a great investment.

My $0.02.
  • wtd44wtd44 Member Posts: 1,208
    Not everybody likes those large, overpriced dial gauges that CAN get in your way when using them on some applications. I use the "trucker" style gauge on all my vehicles, including my motorcycle. The offset double head is very handy, and I find it no challenge at all to use. But then, maybe I am exceptionally talented in areas of coordination that baffle other individuals. (:^>
    the dial guages made for trucks have a higher range (like around 100 pounds or so max) than the ones made for cars. You are better off with the lower range guage that goes up to maybe 60 or so as it will be easier to read and will be more accurate for car tire range. Its a good idea to check you tire pressure at least every other week to catch any leaks before you get stranded.
  • jgmilbergjgmilberg Member Posts: 872
    This place has almost every gauge for every application.

http://www.getagauge.com/gauges/ra60x.htm

seelig- The chuck on the 4 X 4 gauge is what wtd44 is talking about, this is the chuck on all trucker tire gauges. You can get a basic stick gauge with a trucker head on it in the pressure ranges to fit your application.

Easyrider- A lot of new pick up trucks and SUV's are using "E" range tires with a 80 pound max, so the 60 pound max gauge will not work for them, and would be a waste of money. Mind you that most people do not run the tires at full rating, but if you load up a newer truck or SUV for hauling you will need the extra pressure.

• mbbenzmbbenz Member Posts: 47
    except my is red. it works very well and is very accurate. Well worth the $12 I spent.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Let's just drop it, and seelig, please don't provoke an argument on this point.

Everyone here is allowed and is welcome to give their opinions, and if you don't agree, you can just scroll on by.

I'll have to delete any back and forth arguing, so save the trouble and try to get along, okay? This is supposed to be FUN, remember?

Mr. Shiftright
    Host
  • headers8headers8 Member Posts: 23
    I just got my first van (Toyota) and am not quite used to dirving one yet. Today while turning in a corner, my right rear wheel rubbed/swiped the curb (gutter).
    I am worried that I might have mis-aligned my wheel. Would anyone know, if I did (aside from getting symptoms on my tire later on or going for an expensive wheel alignment check?
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    There's not much you can "eyeball". If you didn't hit the rim itself and dent it, chances are you didn't apply enough force to misalign a rear tire.
This discussion has been closed.