Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus SC 430

Comments

• wishnhigh1wishnhigh1 Member Posts: 363
    "no one explained why a guy with enough taste to buy an SC430 would also buy that giant Cadillac SUV,"

lol...explains everything.
  • toyotas1toyotas1 Member Posts: 134
    Is the new 2003 Benz SL worth $25k more than the SC430? True it handles more like a sports car and has some additional computer hardware, but $85-90K? They are both beautiful to me, and both EQUALLY prestigious! So what do you think? Read this month's Road & Track and let me no (Both 0-60 in 6.1-2 seconds.)
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    Nothing made in all of Japan is as prestigious as a Mercedes-Benz. Let alone a SC430.
    The SL costs more and gives you way more, it's not much of a contest.

M
  • hvan3hvan3 Member Posts: 630
    Lexus is a poor man's car, while MB is for the true enthusiasts with $$$.
  • joeyb1joeyb1 Member Posts: 5
    Until Lexus fixes their suspension/tire problems, go with the Mercedes
  • badtoybadtoy Member Posts: 343
    gee, those remarks were predictable!

As for the wheels, I was working for Toyota when the SC430 first came out, and Jim Press, the CEO of Toyota USA, was driving one right past me one day. I emailed him about how good he looked in it, and he said, "Yeah -- but it needs some hot wheels."

Amen.

The chromies in the previous post look great. I've seen a couple of different aftermarket wheels on them, and most aren't successful. The stylnig of the car demands something smooth and substantial looking.

And to state the obvious -- I'd take one over an SL any day. But not once the new one comes out -- it's beeYOOOOOtiful. Much more rakish than the current version (which has always been one of my wife's favorite cars, by the way).

I honestly didn't like the looks of the car when I saw the pre-production models in magazines, but it's grown on me. Thankfully, they're still rare enough (at least in Arcadia) that they still loko fresh to me.

Sure would be nice to have a real back seat, too....
  • 43810774381077 Member Posts: 31
    Pleasantly surprised with handling, but disappointed with acceleration. Car seemed electronically retarded from a dead stop..shut off ECS and went to power and it improved, but not greatly. Also questioned the logic of the shifter..seems they don't want you running gears from 1st. Either drive in in "D" or 2 thru 4 or forget it. Personally doubt the car I drove was capable of anything near 6 seconds 0 to 60. Anyone figure out how to get the horses and torque to the wheels. If you change out the run flats can you still get a golf bag in the trunk with a spare and the top down?
  • squidd99squidd99 Member Posts: 288
    I've had a SC430 since May, and it takes off like a rocket. Faster even than my old SC400. It is not retarded, at all; I think there was probably something with the car you drove. This is the first time I have ever heard this complaint.

The shifter pattern took me almost no time to get accustomed to. Any change is new at first; don't write this off from a brief first encounter. Besides, you don't really use the shifter all that much, but when you want to shift down for engine braking on a hill, the shifts are clear and easy. No problem.

With a spare in the trunk and the top down, the golf clubs will have to go in the back seat. That's the major if not the only reason for the run flats. I have had no trouble there so far.

The car is easy and fun to drive, and draws attention wherever you go. And it is a rocket.
  • hvan3hvan3 Member Posts: 630
    It hurts my eyes everytime I see that ugly black beetle! I keep staring at it not because I like the car, it's because I hate it so much. Go figure.
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,725
    I look forward to the day when I can consider myself poor enough to drive a $60k+ car!

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

Perhaps there was something wrong with the demo as in retrospect it seems impossible to floor a 300 HP car from a stop light with all the controls shut down and not spin the wheels. On the other hand the 430 CLK cab is also dead on it's feet for the first 20 yards. I'm convinced they dumb them down electronically to avoid undue twisting of the frame in the cabs. Two other question, if you will, hows the wind factor with the top down. Noticed they've secured the rear seat belts and I'm a little suspicious about the effectivness of that little plastic wind breaker. I'm in a CLK with the big bulky wind screen that for all it's inconvenience does work well. Night and day driving with it in and out. Have you driven an SC w/o the runflats?
    The wind factor with the top down is great. The car was designed for this. You can converse with your passenger or easily listen to the radio even at 60 MPH. I've gone over 100 with the top down and it's a treat.

Don't be "suspicious about the effectiveness" of the little plastic wind breaker. It's all aerodynamic and tested by people smarter than us, and it works fine, although I have not taken it out to see if there is any difference. If the Lexus engineers put it there, that's good enough for me.

They put little straps in the rear "seat" to secure the belts because, I read, one of the few complaints made in early, pre-sale testing, was that they would make noise when you picked up speed with the top down. I think that they are elegant and effective, and since I don't have many people riding back there, it's no problem.

I've seen those CLK's and BMW's with the big windbreaker behind the front seat, and think they look pretty dumb, but they are probably necessary because of the large back seat area. My observation is that the high window line and the windshield shape and rake contribute to such a thing as unnecessary in the SC430. But you'd really have to ask Lexus why it's that way. I find that whatever they did works very well, and that's good enough for me.

Finally, I did test drive a dealer's car without the run flats, and then immediately test drove one with the run flats. There's not a big difference except that a solid bump in the road is not absorbed as much by the run flats due to their harder side walls, but this is rare. I've driven this car through 6 or 7 states on two vacations so far, and have no complaints.

Everything's a trade off, but you can trust the engineering decisions made by Lexus. These guys can put together a swell car.
    For what it's worth in the wind noise dept. there's a huge difference in the CLK with the deflector on or off and my last car was a 911 with a hinged deflector.Push that sucker down at 70MPH, your hair folded over your eyes and you couldn't hear yourself think. Wouldn't think these minor appearing items could make such a difference.
    If I spring for the SC I'll insist that the dealer send you a piece of the commission, you've been real helpful. I actually prefer the CLK style, handling and every day performance to the SC, slightly, but am not pleased with the quality of construction. There's almost always something acting funny on mine and my friend's 2000 model is in the dealers driveway more often than his. My wife's Lexus seldom sees the shop and when it does we're usually pleased with the service.
    Glad I could help.

I had been looking at convertibles for some time, and one of the major reasons I went for the Lexus SC430 was my prior experience with Lexus service (I had a SC400 for almost 10 years, and other family and friends own various Lexus cars.) Nobody ever seems to have anything bad to say about Lexus service. First of all, you hardly ever need any. My SC400 was far and away the most reliable car I have ever had.

And when I did need service, mostly scheduled services at 15K, 30K, 60K, etc. they could not have been nicer. I have never been treated so well by a dealer anywhere. The service is a little on the expensive side, but that is to be expected.

I stayed away from MB because I have heard just the opposite regarding service. Many complaint about the extraordinary high prices, and my impression is that MB reliability is down from what it used to be. These are good cars, and I have friends who have SLK and CLK convertibles, and I do not prefer either of them to the SC430.

Get the black one.
  • joeyb1joeyb1 Member Posts: 5
    I also noted the lack of accelerator response and asked the service guys about it. They were quite familiar with it and said that it was there by design. I have gotten used to it although I would prefer a little quicker response.
    The wind, when driving at speed, is about the same as other cars with the deflector up. But, it's so much more convenient to have the deflector permanently mounted.
    I recommend buying a car without the runflats if possible. You can always leave the spare at home when you need the space. The combination of runflat tires and 18" wheels leaves the ride too harsh. You don't notice this on short test drives, but after a couple of long trips, you feel beaten-up.
    JOEYB1:

You must be driving some rough roads. I've had my car with the runflats on several long trips and, although I notice a harsher ride than in an SC400 or in an LS, I certainly do not mind it.

I, for one, would certainly not want to remove the spare tire every time I wanted to go to the grocery store with the top down.

All of these factors are trade-offs, but I feel that the runflats are an excellent compromise. They also help the car corner like a rat in a snakehole.

Nothing but fun.
  • silvertoy856silvertoy856 Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know if Lexus is planning to make L-tuned accessories for the Lexus sc430? Does anyone know if there is software management to have the rear quarter windows drop prior to the top lowering as on the Benz SLK? Does anyone know if there is any panorama roof applicable to the sc4430 like the new Benz SL will have? Has anyone used 17" wheels for winter driving successfully?
    Thanks
    Thought I'd contribute to conversation for a change, so I did some DD on the acceleration issue by reading some test results, reviews and making a couple of calls. I'm now about 75% sure Lexus dumbed the low end performance down electronically as I belive MB does with the CLK cabs. Lexus and MB both deny it, but if you stomp a CLK or 430 GS coupe from a dead start the effect is much better than the respective cabs. True there's a bit more weight to the converts, but the loss of tourqe feels disproportionate to the weight difference.
    After reading about six reviews, it SEEMED five reviewers never really timed the car on a track. There's an inference they did but nothing concrete. Road and Track, I believe, said flat out they ran the car and their 0 to 60 was 6.8 secs with a 1/4 mile in the high 15's. Lexus specs 5.9 seconds and 14's for the qtr I think. The other reviewers either used the Lexus spec + or - a few 10ths. Although MB denies retarding the CLK cab, the do spec it as nearly a second slower than the coupe 0 to 60..5.9 versus 6.8. Has anyone actually ran their SC on a track? The car "feels" more like 6.8, but that could be the relative smoothness of Lexus versus MB. And by the way, nearly everyone I know with a newer MB is gripping about frequency of repairs, especially at the 60,000 mile mark when the warrenty runs out! They're also generally unhappy with their dealers and MB's response to their complaints. I've found a good dealer but have to travel 40 miles out of my way to use them. A friend who has never driven anything but BENZ junked his long time dealer for mine and just bought his first Toyota!
    Where are you going that you are in such a hurry?

Even for an important date, I don't mind if I arrive .8 seconds late.
  • ccotenjccotenj Member Posts: 610
    are the cabs geared differently?

-Chris
  • karklinkarklin Member Posts: 15
    I had a Honda S-2000 traded for a Boxster & the Boxster for an SC-430 it is a beautifuly put together car.You can see the quality everywhere.
    The interior is gorgeous.I am glad I made the switch. Leo-K
    An L-Tuned, or factory Sport Pkg., SC430 is a great idea!
    Lexus is selling the SC, in part, on the basis of performance.They should spec the car correctly. Nissan is famous for over specing and it irks the buyers. For me, and it is a personal decision, when I'm flipping the coin between the CLK and SC these numbers are part of the process. At some point I'd expect everyone contemplating buying car would be affected and for me 8/10 is meaningful. Having driven a CLK coupe..and ASSUMING..the cab would perform equally I bought the cab. If you ever have the opportunity to drive these 2 cars, you'll feel the difference for yourself. By way of final comparison, if the SC is a 6.8 ratner than a 5.9, the ES is 7.8.
    All cars are sold "in part, on the basis of performance." At one extreme, Porsche puts great emphasis on performance (speed and handling at speed). With a Camary, for another example, performance is mentioned, but more emphasis is put on room, comfort and price (value).

I certainly don't think that the SC430 or the CLK are sold as "performance cars" as I understand that term to be commonly used. The emphasis here is on luxury in a convertible, which is a small niche. Performance is thrown in because of the great big engine, and we all know that any Lexus or MB will handle well at speed. I never considered a Porsche for various reasons, and I love the power of the SC430, but I consider that power to be part of the luxury. If I wanted a hot-rod, I could buy a 'Vett or a souped up Mustang.

Zero to 60 is not all that big a deal. As far as I can tell, the car seems to be "speced" correctly and the marketing appears to be right on target.

Maybe the new SL500 would be a better mix of performance and luxury, but the ticket goes way up.

I forget what point I was making . . .
    I agree -- the SC and SL are both boulevardiers, and thank God for that -- there are plenty of performance coupes to choose from out there already.

I hope Mercedes doesn't overdo it and crank up the complexity, performance and price of the SL to the point that it becomes unobtainable. Or at least offer it in several states of tune, as before (SL300, 500 and 600, wasn't it?). That way, people have a real choice between "equals".
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    Well this time around the SL500 is about a cheap as the SL will be in this country. The 469hp SL55 AMG will come in around 110K or so, and then finally an SL600 sometime in 2003. The SL is much sportier than the SC430 this time around. There won't be a SL320 in the U.S.

M
    Rumor has it that Lexus will sell a fixed top 6 cylinder version of the SC in 2003. If they put a stick in there.....price it in the low 40's, and find a way to get it's weight down to about 3400, that would be 2SWEET! Don't know that current SC430 owners would be jumping for joy....
    Rumor has it that Lexus will sell a fixed top 6 cylinder version of the SC in 2003. If they put a stick in there.....price it in the low 40's, and find a way to get it's weight down to about 3400, that would be 2SWEET! Don't know that current SC430 owners would be jumping for joy though........
    We've heard that story before. We all know that, about 18 months after the '92 introduction of the SC400, Lexus introduced the SC300: same body but a 6 cyl engine with a stick shift available (and smaller tires). I don't recall the SC400 owners being upset.

If Lexus introduces a 6 cyl version of the SC430 with a fixed top, I for one would welcome the addition to the line. It certainly would be a different car, but I don't know why all the compromises made to create the folding hardtop (eg: the high beltline, the small back seat, the shape of the top itself) would be of interest to to a purchaser of a coupe only version. It seems to me, and I'm no engineer, that Lexus would have to do a lot of engineering work to make this less expensive version.

Look at the Jaguar XK8; the coupe version is very good looking, and less expensive than the (cloth top) convertible, but I think accounts for only about 10% or so of sales. A coupe version of the SC430 would have all the disadvantages of the folding hardtop design without the big reason for buying the car in the first place: putting the top down.

Maybe it would sell; I hope so, but I don't think that there is much of a market for it. But as an owner of an SC430, I would not object or feel disappointed in any way.

Still, I think the rumor has no foundation.
    Offer the current SC in a front wheel 6 version and take $10K or so off the sticker. Although I don't have the satistics, in the northest the ES appears to be their biggest seller by a wide margin and I'd further speculate that the GS 3 outsells the 4 version 3 to 1. You'd have a more reasonably priced car that's good in the snow that maintains the SC's #1 selling point, the top. Be pitting this new car against the SLK and IMHO it would kick MB's [non-permissible content removed]. Let the SC430 bang heads with the new CLK retractable hardtop when it comes out. Great for the consumer.
    You can't make a rear wheel car into a front wheel drive car based on REGIONAL demands/sales!! We're not makin' pizzas, people!! Let's keep these entries serious and well-thought out. Thanks.
    Wasn't suggesting a regional car. Granted I can't think of anyone who make a rear/front version of the same body style, but isn't it true that the principal reason for the SC being rear is the hp and twist? Take those down below 250 in a front wheel version and you have a nice cruiser that still gets out of it's own way. At the risk of bring MS magazne down on me, my wife loved the car but it was too fast for her taste and impractical in the winter. You can write off those who might want a less expensive, less powerful but more practical car, but Lexus might view it differently.Lexus is still the king of cruisers, not performance and Toyota doesn't exactly run scared when it come to producing front wheel drive cars. Try and contain you outrage, but your pizza analogy is on point, but in the reverse. The principal differences between Toyota and Dominos are price, array of colors and temperature of the delivered product. They're both banging out millions of the same base product in differing versions. Ten years ago anyone suggesting that Lexus take a crack at the sports market would have been laughed out of town. Incidentally, how many components of this revolutionary car are straight out of other Toyota inventories..starting with the drive train.
    if Lexus were to introduce a lower-price-point SC to fill out the Es and IS range.

In fact, the Solara was originally intended to be the ES version of the SC300 and 400. However, the demise of the Supra and MR2 left the Toyota division without a sports or touring car, so they decided to let Toyota have the car, which was then introduced as the Solara. Note the general proportions and insterior detailing -- especially the wood trim that curves across the dash and into the door panels.

Hoever, rather than front wheel drive, I'd base the coupe on the RWD IS platform. I think it would be a home run for sure in the 30-35k category.
    The Lexus IS300 coupe joins the lineup, and a convertible is not far behind. Lexus is not Cadillac. They KNOW nobody wants a $40-50k car with 250-300HP worth of torque steer! Luxury car buyers (and performance buyers) WANT rear wheel drive! That is THE BEST drivetrain configuration, period! We're not making Honda Accords, we're making perfect automobiles, that drive and handle and accelerate with grace and balance
  • sphinx99sphinx99 Member Posts: 776
    If we're making perfect automobiles, how come there's no AWD? You can't just make a sweeping generalization like that, or you'll give the wealthy masses all the reason they need to buy an Audi A4 with quattro. Personally I'm waiting for Audi to come out with a coupe.

IS300 coupe sounds nice. They should scrap the sedan while they're at it because the two back doors don't do anything but add extra weight. I was genuinely surprised that the IS300 had about the same rear seat room as my Prelude despite having the two extra doors. Also, the rear seats didn't fold down - another astonishing surprise. The IS300 coupe could be a fun car, if they lower it a bit, lighten it up, and put some more grunt in there. Does Toyota have an engine? I know they're competitive with BMW and Honda on the high-revving inline 4s and the company also has a series of great V8 powerplants. However, to my knowledge, they don't have any V6 in a production car that matches up with the kinds of engines Honda, BMW and Nissan have been putting out for a while. An IS300 coupe would be nice but I don't know if anyone cars for a 215hp IS300 coupe anymore, when everyone else is pushing 260hp and 240ft/lbs torque.
    if the IS300 (really the Altezza) was designed without a fold-down rear seat in order to keep the chassis as stiff as possible. Just a thought....

Scrapping sedan would be a big mistake, and I'm sure Lexus has no plans to do that.

toyotas1: When you say "we're making perfect autmobiles" is it safe to assume that you work at Georgetown? Obviously you're a Toyota employee. No shame in that, and it should really appear in your profile, along with a disclaimer that states that your opinions are your own, and are nmot sanctioned by Toyota.
  • sphinx99sphinx99 Member Posts: 776
    Maybe. I'm not sure how much the seats contribute to chassis stability. However, I could see the back seat supports also being load-bearing braces for the car.
  • joe166joe166 Member Posts: 401
    How about helping everyone rewrite their profiles while you are at it?

How do you know that he works for Toyota? Even if he does, how do you know that his opinions are his own and not those of Toyota. For a full fledged conspiracy theorist, it is not beyond the realm of possibilities that he is a total shill for Toyota and that he is only on here to put forward their positions to elicit opinion about them, but I kind of doubt it. Seriously, you are certainly entitled to your opinion and can evaluate his comments with whatever built in bias you may have, or even to comment on his apparent (to you) conflict of interest but it is kind of nervy for you to tell him what to put in his profile and the words he should use to do it, isn't it?

I kind of thought I might get some insight into owners experiences with the SC430 as I am considering buying or leasing one, but it seems this has become some sort of acriminous debate on future cars that may or may not ever be manufactured.
  • exmoexmo Member Posts: 5
    Well, here is one owner that has had the car for 10 months and about 11,000 miles. It is, as has been stated in recent messages, a luxury convertible.

I've never clocked the 0-60 time but I really don't care about that. I am more interested in the 40-60 or 60-80 acceleration for passing and it is very responsive. When you punch it at highway speeds it has plenty of guts. I get around 20 mpg for local driving and 25 mpg for trips. I use premium fuel as Lexus recommends.

Interior comfort is superb although the ride can be a little hard, I suspect primarily due to the run flat tires. Sound system is very good and the GPS is a neat tool when it is needed (although the voice prompts are hard to hear with the top down). Lots of little niceties that one should expect in a luxury car. The back seat is useless for passengers with legs.

There is an archived thread that has many comments in it from owners that you may find helpful. The Host was not able to resurrect it so this new one was started. Look for it at Town Hall->Coupes, Convertibles & Sports Cars->Coupes, Convertibles & Sports Cars - Archived Discussions->Lexus SC430 (owners and admirers).

Bottom line is would I buy it again. The answer: in a heartbeat!
  • tkntkn Member Posts: 3
    I just watched one of those autoshows and they were comparing the SC430 vs the SL500 through the slalom. I, for the most part, think that MBs are overpriced junk, but watching that slalom I may have to rethink that. That SC430 was swaying so much it was scary, especially compared to the SL. So the real question is when will Lexus have a similar suspension setup to the MB?
    I don't work for Toyota, or even own a Toyota, or live in Georgetown. Two, I just believe that the SC430 is the sexiest coupe/convertible available REGARDLESS of price. It just needs stiffer shock/suspension tuning for people who AREN'T 50 or older. That is THE LONE weakness! This is THE dream car of mine. The new SL is beautiful, and does handle MUCH better, but is not worth $85k+ (I don't believe ANY car is!).
    I should have said "It would be helpful if [toyotas1] were to include this information in [his] profile, so that we can better understand [his] perspective, experience and expertise". (I note from your own profile that you are an attorney, and I respect your perspective in this area.)

Actually, I edited my remarks, which may have been a mistake. While working for Toyota, External Affairs made it clear that they discouraged Toyota employees from participating in chat rooms that might compromise Toyota's interests (usually by misrepresenting Toyota's intentions or products). They also made it clear that doing so could be a CLM (Career Limiting Move), if not cause for outright dismissal. Toyotas1 is obviously a Toyota enthusiast, and I would hate to see his career cut short by getting into areas his employer does not recommend or condone.

The reason I though he was an employee is because of his post #136, which said, "We're not making Honda Accords, we're making perfect automobiles, that drive and handle and accelerate with grace and balance." Use of the word "we" led me to believe that he is either an associate or vendor for Toyota. Apparently that is not the case, and this subject is moot.

In terms of writing EVERYONE'S profiles, you're right in the sense that I wish everyone would include enough personal information to give me (and others) an accurate idea of the writer's perferences and perspective. But of course, that is a personal choice. It just seems that anytime a troll comes on board, their profile is blank, whereas those who really wish to engage in thoughful debate tend to be more open and honest about their experiences and prejudices.

Re, "How do you know that his opinions are his own and not those of Toyota. For a full fledged conspiracy theorist, it is not beyond the realm of possibilities that he is a total shill for Toyota and that he is only on here to put forward their positions to elicit opinion about them, but I kind of doubt it," you are absolutely right -- that is probably the first thought that would cross the mind of a conspiracy theorist. However, anyone familiar with Toyota's business model knows that they are far too conservative to engage in such a clever subterfuge.

If you're looking for owner's experiences, I would suggest scrolling back to the beginning of the topic, where you are more likely to find the kind of feedback you're looking for. All topics on this board tend to drift over time, as there becomes less to say about the original topic. Good luck on your search!
    why personal profiles are NOT so detailed, badtoy. Since I have come here, I have never reviewed someone's persoal profile, because it has no bearing on the gist of the conversation. People come here to share personal opinions and experiences, and debate the current marketplace. I should have said I was a postal employee, then you would have an all-new respect for my views, eh? Anyway, there ae no "shills" here, just people kickin' it, so relax! And when I used the word "we", I meant when a luxury car manufacturer designs a car for the luxury market, this car usually must reflect the ideal paradigm in several regards, that is why rear-wheel drive is common in luxury cars, and front-wheel drive in more pedestrian vehicles. Frontwheel drive has efficiencies that are appreciated at a lower price segment, but are not when higher prices are required and technology is more a part of the architecture. Ask BMW why they ONLY make rear wheel drive......
    I HAVE read all the posts in this forum. I found them interesting. I will continue to lurk in the background for the most part. Thanks for the suggestion. Perhaps I was too harsh also, but it did seem kind of presumptious. I guess I really don't have a dog in that fight.
    The conversation here has gone off track..and I confess I've helped to derail it. In compensation here's everything you need to know about the SC in a nutshell from me who knows all and did a ton of research before not buying. Facts is you probably know all this already. The SC designwise is either loved or hated, although the haters appear to be warming up a bit. Pick a dark color if you're not crazy about the style.
    Handlingwise it's a compromise, BMW lovers say it's too soft, middle age fat guys coming out LS's say too stiff. I think for what it gives up in handling it more than makes up for in comfort. If you have to have nimble, go BMW.
    Performance is generally rated as good. Again, it's not fast, but it gets out of it's own way and if fast is #1 for you Corvette, Porsche or M3 is where you should be.
    Reliabilityand quality..it has to be great, it's a Lexus. Complaints in this regard seem linited to minor rattles, wind noise and the like, but these probably come from Lexus owners that have never heard such things in their cars.
    Overall it seems a great car for the money, but I decided I'd prefer the quicker, less expensive, more comfortable GS if i were to buy Lexus, a CLK cab if I wanted pretty as the #1 priority, and an M3 cab as the perfect balance if you can get your hands on one. There are just too many choices. God Bless America ( and maybe Japan and Germany)
    middle age fat guys coming out LS's say too stiff.

Do you know me? Good guess if you don't. Frankly, I like the styling, but I fell in love with my wife's GS300 when I first saw it and the longer we have it the more I like it. It is hard to really get serious about buying one since my LS is really great. The major objections I have are related to the dealer base. They really don't know how to treat a customer. They send me accross town to the Budget Rent-a-car stand and give me a Town Car. If I have not had my dramamine, I can't take it so the option is a mustang or worse. It takes almost a half day to drop the car off, get a rental car and get to the office. Returning it is slightly faster, but when I compare that to my wife's experience where her selling dealer (50 miles away) sends another lexus to the house, drops it off, takes hers and returns it when it is fixed, I get very envious. This is for routine servicing and pretty much guarantees that the routine services will get done there rather than in my driveway or over at Jiffy Lube. Just a world of difference in the way we are treated. My wife had her bridgestones replaced (all four) at no cost at 27000 miles because her service writer thought they were wearing prematurely. Try that at the local L-M dealer.
  • mike10mike10 Member Posts: 5
    Has anyone else had a problem with the sun visors staying where you put them. Seems that mine have several preset positions (which are never the one that I want) that you must use or else they will flip all the way up at the slightes bump. Not good when the sun is in front of you. If anyone knows of a fix for this I would appreciate the information.
    No problem here. My visors have no preset positions; they move smoothly into any position and stay there until directed otherwise.

I think maybe your car has a screw loose.
  • calstercalster Member Posts: 2
    I've had my SC430 for about a year, and I love it. I certainly watch the weather reports more often than before, and spring can't get here fast enough.

Two questions --

1) can the sc430 go through an automatic car wash. i realize it's not the BEST solution, but it is even feasible? What should I avoid if I have to do so?

2) rear windows -- i realize that they go down when the top is down, but is there any way to program them to go down without the top being down? Can the dealer program this option? My dog would really like to know .

Many thanks, all, for any insight you can offer.
This discussion has been closed.