Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus SC 430

Comments

• stlouisslimstlouisslim Member Posts: 21
    The reason you see jumps in the MPG calculations is because the computer is internally computing kilometers/liter and then converting to MPG for display. You see the same thing in the outside air temperature (it often jumps 2 degrees) because it computes in centigrade and displays in F.
  • jgwaltneyjgwaltney Member Posts: 39
    anyone still discussing previous sc models? can't find anything in achives, so asking you since many current sc-430 owners prev. owned sc-4 and sc-3's

my budget allows only arond $20k - have found 2 sc-3's - both 1 0wner, all records, perfect
    1 is 97 w/ 28k mi for approx $18k
    1 is 98 w/ 34k mi (and lexus cert. sold thru dlr) for $21.5

thoughts? thx in advance (btw, congrats to all lucky sc-430 owners)
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    Even though I'm the current owner of the SC430, in many ways I liked my old SC300('93)even more. The car was comfortable, luxurious and markedly reliable. The looks are timeless and less controversial than the SC430. If the cars you mentioned were not abused or in previous accidents, I'd check their Edmunds and "Blue Book" values to verify the prices, then go for it! It never hurts for them to be the color of your choice, as well.
  • jgwaltneyjgwaltney Member Posts: 39
    appreciate your thoughts - just the kind of feedback i need - 1 car is white/tan; the other a wine metallic (bordeaux red burgundy)/tan int
    .....go for it, if the car is a good one. Be sure the tires have some wear left and it has been serviced properly.

Good luck.
  • sphinx99sphinx99 Member Posts: 776
    For the fans, my mother saw one of these and declared it "the most beautiful car ever made."
  • kdudekdude Member Posts: 22
    I have a 2002 SC430 (silver on beige) with 18k miles, which I am planning to sell. All is top condition. I can not find prices in the Blue/Black book, and have not contacted the dealers yet.

What do you think is a fair retail market value for this car?
    ....approx. $48-50K....
  • venturawestonventuraweston Member Posts: 23
    ...i've decided to purchase an SC430. over the CLK 430, the XK8 and a couple of other things.

so here's the question for everyone: i'd prefer to not spend $63,000 on a new 2003, since according to edmunds the car depreciates close to $10,000 in the first year alone.

what do you all think about buying a 2002 that has between 5-15K miles on it already? there are a number of them at both south florida lexus dealers, and they're priced in the low to mid $50K range. is it a dumb idea to buy someone else's problems? or will i be making a smart choice to let someone else take the initial depreciation?

thanks for your advice.
  • squidd99squidd99 Member Posts: 288
    When you just assume that a used car is somebody else's problem you are generalizing from insufficient data. There are many reasons for a person to sell a good car besides it's a lemon.

Remember this: if you buy a year old SC430, you have years of warranty service left, and you are paying less than list price for a great car.

I have bought nothing but used cars (including an SC400) for the past 20 years and have been very happy every time. My SC430 was my first new car since sometime in the 1970's.

My guess is that the previous owner found that this unusual car was not his cup of tea, or he got transferred or divorced or just wanted an SUV like everybody else. If the Lexus dealer is selling it, he has gone over it pretty well and I doubt that your chances of getting a problem car are any different from someone buying a new one.

Go for it.
    The only reason I am selling mine is because that's what I do every two years (it makes financial sense for me) . I now have a 2003 SL500, and in 23 months it will be for sale.

Nothing wrong with the car. It's just sitting there covered in the driveway (I am waiting for the title next week), and paying for insurance and license is money out of my pocket.
    it makes financial sense for you to sell a 2 year old, very expensive car every two years? man, i no longer want a car - i just want to BE you! :) how do you do it?

thanks, squid and kdude, for the advice. actually, i wasn't worried about buying someone's lemon - moreso i was worried that one of the early production cars (may 2001 is when one of them went into service) may have more of the "early car bugs" like the rear bushings problem, the rattling issue, the tire problems that people have described on this thread. what do you guys think?

kdude, my offer still stands: if you feel like trading lives, call me!

by the way, my last three cars were all purchased 1-2 years old; it's just that none of them were totally new models, which is what i'm more concerned with.
    I got on the waiting list about 18 months before the car hit the market in April of 2001. I was number 15 on my dealer's list, and took delivery on April 28th, only several weeks after the first deliveries were made on April 15. So mine is pretty early.

I have never had any problem with the top whatsoever, I have had no rattles and no problems with the stereo.

I had the rear bushings replaced because of what I have read here, then raised the pressure to about 38 psi, and that helped the ride.

My white (excuse me, ecru) interior is easy to keep clean, although I have no dogs and no kids). It runs like a top and hits 100 mph without breathing hard.

I think the car is just great in all respects (for my purposes) and don't think that buying one "used" is at all a bad idea.

I bought a used SC400 about 10 years ago; at the time the car had about 20,000 miles on it, and had about 2 years of warranty left. I drove that until April of last year without any problems at all. I don't think I ever had a part go bad or need replacement, although I did replace the battery.

Buying a used Lexus is, I think, one smart car-buying move, and the next best thing to buying a new one.
    and thank you for the comprehensive description of the minor issues. i think those were the convincing words i needed. sold!

they have a 2002 with 15K miles on it in my colour choice - blue with coffee interior (officially, "indigo ink pearl with saddle interior"). asking $53.9K. put into service 5/01. what do you think?
    Just got a call from one of the South Florida Lexus dealers. He has a 2002 that only has 2500 miles on it - first owner decided he didn't like the colour.

It's black/saddle, 2500 miles, "perfect condition" in the dealer's words, chrome wheels added. They bought the car from the guy for $54K. So i figure i can get it around $55 - $55.5

What do you think of this deal? I could *really* use the advice of all you experienced owners out there! Thanks. (i only am interested in black/saddle or blue/saddle)
    I will be placing my 2002 (silver on ecru - 18k miles) in the market in the LA area for $49.5, perhaps as early as this or next weekend. The car has everything and is in top shape. So a $6k difference for 15.5 k miles (appx. 40 cents per mile).

I don't know if this information is helpful or confusing. Perhaps a check into the local area market or online sales sites may be helpful. Everything I have seen seems to be in the low to mid 50s, in line with what you are paying.
    thanks for the info. i was kind of hoping to find one in the lower 50s as well - in fact, the first car i had wanted was a blue/saddle with 15K miles on it, but it sold the day before i got there for $53K.

it seems to be in line, especially with the chrome wheel upgrade and only 2500 miles. i'm still trying to figure out how you trade up to a newer car every two years, and how i can become more like you! your life sounds way more interesting than mine. maybe i'll put my currently pathetic existence up on ebay and use it as a downpayment :)
  • gjm2gjm2 Member Posts: 1
    I have driven and thoroughly enjoy the SC 430. I had plans to lease one anticipating a move to Cali in January. My move has been canceled and now I'm stuck in the cold winter of NE Ohio. My question is this: is it completely foolish to have this vehicle in the winter weather - I can't afford to have 2 cars. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    I have had Lexus SC's for over 10 years in SW Ohio, which has far less snow and ice than NE Ohio, and I can tell you that the only way you could get around is to have snow/ice tires on the car for the winter and regular tires for the summer. Most folks who do this have the snows mounted on a second set of wheels.

The run-flat sensor system allows for this, and can switch easily between two sets of sensors quickly when the tires are changed. The cost, however, is very high, as you need 4 extra pressure sensors also, if you really want to do it right. Talk to the dealer for all the details.

Or just look at something in 4 wheel drive.

It's too bad you did not get that transfer, because I bet it would not have taken you long to learn that folks out there love convertibles and never spell it "Cali."

And keep that heavy coat, too.
  • caramocaramo Member Posts: 93
    Go to SF and call it "Frisco". . .
    ...yeah, and get your @(*&#$ beat by the locals LOL

(speaking as a native californian)
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,726
    Does anybody have any experience driving their SC430 in the snow? With the OEMs or snow tires?
    Stories?

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

got my 2003 SC430 today!

black with saddle interior. my god, is this car awesome. even in south florida, where people are so jaded that *no* car gets attention, people were staring and giving multiple thumbs-up (at least, i sure hope those were thumbs).

thanks to everyone for your advice here - it helped me make my final decision. i'm sure i'll be asking for owner's advice along the way.
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    Congrats on your new car! I'm originally from south Florida (palm beach county) and saw a black SC430 when I was home for Thanksgiving. Very beautiful car indeed. Expect a lot of longing looks in that car (including from me and my parents). Hope you enjoy it!
    All SC430 owners might want to check out the "Personal Journal" section of Wed's Wall Street Journal to see if your favorite car is mentioned.

Look for a little story in a box.
  • luvinmylexluvinmylex Member Posts: 5
    Hey venturaweston!

Welcome to the Club! I purchased my 2003 SC430 (silver/saddle) in September. I also live in So. Florida and have really been enjoying top-down driving these days.

I haven't actually gotten the "thumbs up" yet, but I've had people stop me in parking lots to tell me what a great car it is and to ask to look inside.

Did you trade in an Acura TL? I also owned a '99 TL, so we seem to be following the same path with cars. Also, judging by your user name, you live in Weston. I'm in Pembroke Pines. If you do live in Weston, I'm sure by now your know the rush of doing 80 mph on I-75 with the top down!

I've seen some gorgeous black SC's on the road, so I'm assuming one of them was yours! Enjoy!
  • callawassiecallawassie Member Posts: 2
    Just picked up my 2003 SC430, silver/saddle. Saw the picture in the brochure of the alternative wheel covers that create a spoke appearance, versus the current pizza pan look. Dealer does not know anything about availability, etc? Anyone have any good info?
    They are scheduled to be on the shelves during the first quarter of 2003 and will cost between 300 and US$400.00.

Your dealer will have them in the parts department.

Or they could be late.
  • takakjiantakakjian Member Posts: 7
    Does anyone know whether air conditioned seats (a la the ultra lux LS430) are in the cards for the 2004 model? What about the higher hp engine that's been rumoured for the LS and the GS models?
    I do know that I can confirm, thanks to your post, that the information in your message clearly constitutes a rumor.

Does anyone else see any irony in paying extra for air-conditioned seats in a convertible?
  • billytongbillytong Member Posts: 20
    Hi Folks,

I'm driving a 88k ES300 right now. All my maintance & regular oil change is not doing in Lexus dealer. 1 year ago I replaced a OEM timing belts & water pump. I find that the engine noise is very noisy than normal & also the ticking sound comes out. Is anyone know how to reduce an engine noise and also the ticking sound. Is it the timing belt installed to tight or too loose?Thanks
    Except the sounds ES300 is running pretty good.
    Until now I still think Lexus is more reliable then European car.
    What?
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    about noise problems with his ES300 since the timing belt change, and he is doing it on the SC430 board!

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• hedodochedodoc Member Posts: 1
    >>Does anyone else see any irony in paying extra for air-conditioned seats in a convertible?<<

Move to Florida where I am, and that irony will quickly evaporate. I was *most* displeased to find my new SC 430 came with heat warmers, but not coolers. Just like my Toyota Sequoia, I'm wondering how many times I'll actually use them. Not many.

Leather is hot. Period. Much of the country doesn't need heated seats, but cooled seats.

I'll be most displeased if they change this next year, as much as I was to find out the Luxury Tax was no more on New Year's Day, the day after I bought my new SC430.

..........Bob
  • melonbatmelonbat Member Posts: 1
    Greetings everyone. My wife just bought a Lexus SC430 and we live in Florida. When I lived in New England you usually wanted a vehicle with a lot of road clearance, studden snow tires, and 4WD was the best. Does anyone here have any experience trying to use this vehicle in the snow, or is this just that type of automobile that has to be put on blocks every Winter? I am guessing with all the traction control built into the car, it can negotiate ice and light snow (although I would prefer she was going to be driving a FRONT-wheel drive when we move back to New England), but I would have guessed much snow at all would stop this thing. Any knowledge? Thanks. Ted.
    The SC430 is terrible in the snow, even light snow. The tires are just too wide, and all the weight is on the front wheels, not on the drive wheels. The "Traction Control" is, as far as I can tell, meaningless.

Some drivers have reported good luck with 4 snow tires, but that's a lot of trouble and expense for the joy of taking a fine car like this out into the snow where some crazy lady in her Oldsmobile will slide into you.

My solution was to buy a mini-suv so I could get about in the snow and so I could have some space to haul around larger items that I want to buy or move.

This gives me the best of both worlds.

My suggestion would be to stay in Florida for the winter, and only go to New England in the summer.

That's like having the best of both worlds.
    there are enough sc430 owners from florida on this board that we could start a club.

luvinmylex, i just have to ask: is that short for "loving my lexus", or literally, "getting some LUV IN MY LEXUS", in which case you clearly have more backseat room in your sc430 than i have in mine?

and yes, i traded in a '00 silver TL. strangely parallel lives, huh?

by the by, i'm in miami. weston is purely coincidence, although i have a satellite office there - so i enjoy that i-75 drive as much as possible. problem is getting from here to there.
  • 43810774381077 Member Posts: 31
    I do not own an SC but continue to be interested enough to look in on this board from time to time, howevr I know a lot about rear wheel drive cars and snow. If you run the numbers you'll discover that buying a second set of rims with snows pays for itself in a reasonably short period of time and you'll save yourself some discomfort and perhaps save your life! If possible, buy the rims used and get the tires and or rims from someone other than the dealer. A good set of 4 snows will cost about $600 and rims will run anywhere between $400 and $1000 aftermarket. The savings come from not burning out your low profile $250 summer tires..all seasons and snows have double or triple the milage @ 1/2 the cost. You'll also presumably get some money back on the second set when you sell or trade and in the meantime your chances of accident or getting stranded are materially reduced. I outfited my CLK with smaller rims and tires for $1200 and the payback in tire life will be 2 or 3 years. The summer tires go in 12,000 to 15,000 miles. You sacrifice some ride and handling, but it's hardly noticable in Boston during the winter when you spend most of your time crawling along avoiding potholes and slush piles.
  • jbradbjbradb Member Posts: 39
    The snow issue reminds me to ask if anyone notices a mild "sliding" of the rear end on even slightly slick (rainy) roads? It's during normal takeoff from a stoplight, not gunning it. Of course, the skid control kicks in and I only feel a bit nervous, not scared, when it happens. The car has only 4600 miles and tire tread looks new. Never get snow or ice here, just rain.
    Day to day, a road surface becomes oily from grease and other car stuff that drips and falls from autos as they drive blissfully on. When it starts to rain, that surface becomes slippery very quickly. It is at this point, just after the rain begins, that a road surface can become very slippery.

After the rain continues, it washes the oily stuff away, and the road actually becomes less slippery than it was previously.

This is what you may be experiencing.

Of course, in a very heavy rain, with lots of water on the road, some car/tire combinations will hydroplane.

Both of these slippery conditions are most noticable in cars like the SC430 which has wide tires, lots of torque and lots more weight on the front tires than on the drive tires.

On the other hand, when the road is dry, the sun is shinning, and the top is down, . . . . .
  • xkexk8xkexk8 Member Posts: 9
    I put 4 snows on my SC and have not been impressed. Had to drive in the snow last week. Stopped at a light on a smallist hill, I did about as well as the pickup truck in front of me - and pickups suck in the snow. My XK8 handled fairly well in the snow (with the 4 snows).
  • scottphillipscottphillip Member Posts: 249
    Anyone know if the dealers are discounting the 2003? I have a 2002 LS430 Ultra that I might trade in. I am in central Florida.
    Thanks,
    The answer to your question depends on the supply of vehicles at your dealer. Most SC430s in the US go to California and Florida (and then Texas). So those dealers may have more of a supply and may be willing to discount.

In Ohio, my dealer said a few weeks ago that although he no longer has a waiting list, but that he seldom has more than 2 or 3 on the lot at any one time, and thus is still selling all SC430s at sticker.

This situation is subject to change without notice.
  • vadoctor1vadoctor1 Member Posts: 1
    Hello to all the lexus sc430 people out there. I was wonderering if anyone has found an infant seat that would fit in the back seat using the LATCH system and if so, what it the brand and model number
    in the owner's manual there's about a 15 page description of how to correctly use infant seats in the back. not having children and barely being able to care for a plant, i haven't read them in detail. however, i'd bet the info you need is in there. if you don't have it, let me know and i'll fax it to ya.
  • mockemocke Member Posts: 1
    AFTER COMPLAINING FOR MONTHS ABOUT A VERY HARD AND ROUGH RIDE ON MY 2002 SC430 ,LEXUS CUSTOMER SERVICE SAID ,THEY WOULD GIVE ME 2 NEW DUNLOP TIRES, THE SAME ONES COMING THRU ON TH 2003.I TOLD THEM THE CAR HAS 4 TIRES,THEY SAID THEY WOULD ONLY PAY FOR 2,THAT THE CAR IS SUPPOSE TO DRIVE LIKE THAT..MY DEALER ,BAY RIDGE LEXUS PAID FOR THE OTHER 2..THE CAR RIDES MUCH BETTER ON THE SMALL BUMPS,BUT THE BIG BUMPS ARE NO IMPROVEMENT..THE PULLING WHEN YOU HIT THE BRAKES IS GONE,SO I GUESS THE TIRE WERE TO BLAME FOR THAT..
    Did you have the newest rear bushings installed on your car? May of the (earlier) 2002's had the old bushings and experienced an especially hard ride and "thuds" when going over bumps or through pot-holes. My SC's ride improved greatly after they were upgraded. Unfortunately the run-flats themselves do not give a supple ride. The ride, however, improves with 36-38 psi. pressure in the tires. Hope this helps.
  • intmed99intmed99 Member Posts: 485
    I am very close to getting a 2003 SC430 (made in 12/02). It is silver with saddle interior (very nice!). It also has DUNLOP run-flat tires. It has run-flats, spoiler, wheel locks. No Lexus Link. I got them down to $60,000 flat (NOT including tax, tag, title), which is $3600 below MSRP. Good deal?? I live in Texas.

Also, with my car being made in 12/02, the rear bushings should have been updated, right??

Thanks.
    Sounds like a good deal. The car you describe should have the new bushings, but I'd still ask. Keep in mind that silver is the most prevalent color with the SC's. You may consider that an advantage or disadvantage.
  • leebroleebro Member Posts: 8
    Of course, Silver is a disadvantage. If you forget which row you parked in, you won't be able to tell yours from ALL the other SC430's. Seriously, unless you enjoy washing, waxing and all those other chores which keep you from driving your car, silver is a great color. If I could get a deal similar to yours from a FL dealer (but with the Ecru which also doesn't show a lack of cleaning) I'd probably trade my 300M (silver with a lt. green tint) which I had washed once in the 3 years I've had it. It's a super car with the governor package off. The only car which I would trade it for is a SC430. Sorry Bimmer, Benz, and Porsche people. This is not to say some models of those aren't better than the SC, just that none of them excite me enough to cause me to consider them.
This discussion has been closed.