Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Have you recently purchased a new car and bought additional products (warranty, maintenance packages, anti-theft systems, etc.) as part of the F&I process that you weren't originally planning to buy? If so, a reporter is interested in speaking with you about your F&I experience. Please reach out to [email protected] by Wednesday, March 27 with your story and the Edmunds PR team may connect you with the journalist.
Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Lexus SC 430

Comments

• mfullmermfullmer Posts: 819
    I don't understand the why the bad remarks are made to Lexus. The tires have their own seperate warranty. Why would you hold Lexus accountable for another manufacturers product that, industry wide, takes care of their own warranty work?
  • masonmason Posts: 5
    Does anyone know when the new year model generally comes out? the dealers have told me end of summer, but is it actually in late fall? is the timing different each year?
    Thank you
  • stevesteinstevestein Posts: 263
    will arrive in port on Aug 22, at dealer about a week later. Only change for 2005 will be a special Palm Beach edition.
    Dates vary by model and year.
  • newienewie Posts: 15
    Hello to dmizock,
    i have an odd request for you. i too am in So. Calif and i am wondering if there is anyway possible to see your sc color combo!? its crazy i know, but you are the closest person with this car and i cannot commit until i actually see it in person! otherwise i may dash out to Texas for a peek.
    Thank you
    Kim
  • mfullmermfullmer Posts: 819
    While not exactly "In Person" you can get a great view usually if you look on EBay. At any given time there is usually a silver/saddle one on there and they usually have 15+ nice photos showing the car and interior. At least that gives you more of a look than the Lexus site.
  • mcubedmcubed Posts: 3
    That's funny, I just bought a new SC430 because there wasn't a single used one for sale in the entire St. Louis area. The one I bought was the only new one available.
  • johnson1johnson1 Posts: 1
    I'm disappointed with the tires/rims as well. I've had to replace run flat tires/rims on my 02. The roads in TX are probably worse. I realize Lexus does not manufacture tires, however, they made the decision to go with Bridgestone when there were other choices. I definitely intend to do some serious letter writing.
  • newienewie Posts: 15
    mcube, check out Mfullmers #824
    while may not be in your area, they are easy to find on ebay
  • ipsadoodleipsadoodle Posts: 35
    As I have stated before, I complained about my run flats from the week I received the car in March 01,,it was one of the first delivered...finally after 11,000 miles in 2003 and with the help of my dealer, Lexus reimbursed me in full for the cost of the Dunlops I put on...$1106...just keep on it, talk with your dealer, ask for his help....
  • diemakerdiemaker Posts: 6
    While I bought my wife's 2003 with run flats, she doesn't drive many miles, I did note that the car's warranty book plainly spelled out that the tires would more than likely not get over 10,000 miles. I don't think Lexus is trying to dupe anyone. I'd suggest you consider going back to standard tires and rims if you don't want the problems. The performance tires are only useful if you are driving at high speed in hot (Texas) conditions like we do.
  • dmizockdmizock Posts: 4
    Hi Kim.
    I am in the San Diego area and would be glad to show you my car. Send me an e-mail if you are still interested and we can make arrangements.
  • ipsadoodleipsadoodle Posts: 35
    When I replaced my original runflats, they had 11,000 miles on them and looked like new...did not show any wear..I think they can easily last at least 20,000 miles..my present Dunlap runflats have 4000 miles on them and are perfect.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Sonoma, CaliforniaPosts: 63,952
    Do you HAVE to buy the SC430 with run-flats or is that an option now?

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

Share Your Vehicle Reviews Here

Option for I believe $440 or in that range. Didn't see any on the lot without them when I got mine, and can't imagine where they would put one (and if they did there woul be -2 cu ft in the trunk instead of the .5 without. Lexus usually packages the cars with some options in 99.9% of the cars built. It would probably take a special order and who knows how many weeks to get one with regular tires..or you could just change them and take your chances without a spare.
    I have a good friend who is about to buy an SC430 and I'm tempted to advise her to avoid the run flats all together and just take her chances on getting a flat. Since modern cars have such outstanding tires (I haven't had a flat in 5 years), and since road service is so good I'm wondering about which way to tell her to go with this. Sounds like the run flats are a real nuisance from what most of you tell me, but perhaps I'm being too severe here.

I only have 2K on my car, so no personal tire stories good or bad. I will say they have a sticker on the cars in the showroom saying you may not get more than 15K on the tires, and the salesmen state upfront you can't drive the car in the snow. A combination of the high torque and low profile run-flats. We kept a Blazer we were originally going to get rid of when we went with the SC as a combined dirty job and snow car. Don't think snow is a problem in Saucalito, but if your friend travels into the mountains it could be a concern.
    That said, I don't know how easy it would be to get the regular tires on the car. I never saw one SC with them on the lot, and my dealer is a very large volume one. I'd also wonder and be concerned if the trunk configuration is different to make a place for a spare. Even if you remove the tire the compartment for it could almost eliminate any trunk space (and we are really talking minimal to begin with). It might be easiest to just replace the runflats with a regular tire the first time they need to be. I'm assuming they make regular tires in the right profile, but the durability, ride and cost to replace may not be much better.
    Most of the knocks seemed to be with the Bridgestones. That's what happened to be on my car, and thinks to this forum I asked the dealer to swap them with the Dunlops on another car. They gladly swapped them, although they did say they were unaware of any issues with the Bridgestones on the SC.
    I'd also never forget murphy's law..If you get a flat it will be at night, in bad weather and out of cell phone reception. Not having a spare would just be tempting the fates. You probably haven't been stopped by the police in 5 years, but leave your house without your drivers license and watch what happens...the 1st roadside document check in the history of your town.
    As to the car itself, my wife and I love it. We take evening rides and scenic routes like we did decades ago. It's just a fun car, and a Lexus, which speaks volumes in itself.
    Hmmm...15K hah? And what's the cost of replacing all four, roughly?

• mcubedmcubed Posts: 3
    I think they are 300 apiece. But the sc430 is designed to be equipped with ultra high performance low profile tires. Even regular non run-flat tires in this category will wear out within about 15K miles. Mine did on my BMW 330 convertible. Most cars in the luxury touring/sport category are fitted with ultra high performance tires.

My 04 sc430 has the bridgestones and the ride is generally better than in my BMW with continental sport contact 2's, although potholes are worse in the lexus.

I suspect that most people who are getting under 10K miles with the bridgestones are very aggressive drivers.
    I dunno...in theory I agree but I don't see most SC430 drivers being very aggressive. I bet it's just the nature of the tire compound. Many automakers are putting these very sticky tires on for ride and safety but that comes home to roost in shorter tire life.

• I think that if you have already shelled out sixty-five large for a touring car and find that the tires wear out a little soon, so what? You could have spend 100 large on a Benz and they have the same problem. I'm for just replacing the Bridgestones with Dunlop when you have to, and not being too upset with it.
    A bigger concern is that the ride is hard going over bumps and causes "cowl shake". I would like Lexus to address that in the next edition of the car, which I will rush out to buy.
    Cowl shake is a big no-no in this price class. That should definitely be addressed and eliminated.

• masonmason Posts: 5
    i want to confirm what is the best care products for both the interior and the exterior. Is ZAINO one of the best wax's? and can it be found easily?
    INTERIOR: i see mixed opinions on these boards. a leather cleaner and conditioner. someone suggested an all in one type. as a female, i was raised knowing fully well that shampoos that had conditioner included were very bogus, and am thinking its very similar to interior leather cleaner with conditioner built in. can anyone suggest a good leather care for the Ecru color?
    Thank you!
    I'm not fond of any product that encourages you to RUB leather. I'd only use a cleaner if there was actually a bad stain, and I'd be VERY careful in the amount of elbow I put into it. Rub hard at your own peril!

There are a lot of good leather products out there. I use HIDEFOOD, which is a rich cream. Some people don't like it because it takes time to work into the leather and being organic it can spoil over time. But it looks great if you follow directions and plan to spend an hour doing up the whole car. This product might be hard to find but you can always get it at a Jaguar dealer. I bet the Lexus dealer sells it too, come to think of it.

The ZAINO people (Church of Zaino) are over in our "Maintenance and Repair" Board, which you can find by using our drop down window to the left, where it says "Select a Board".

Host

• I own a 2002 Lexus SC-430 I would like to rotate the tires myself I have Bridgestones run flat tires if I switch front to back would that mess up my air pressure censor?
           thanks for your help Leo-K
  • Leo;
       You can rotate the tires and the pressure sensor will continue to work.
       There is a pressure sensor and transmitter in each rim. The receiver reads the pressure as transmitted from the wheel regardless of which position it is in.
       I hope you understand my explanation. So just go ahead and rotate the tires and everything will work properly.
       The only real problem comes in when you install new tires. Whoever does the installation has to know how to install the tires and retain the integrity of the pressure sensors.
    Ron
  • Thank you very much Ron about rotating tires on my Lexus SC-430 it was greatly appreciated
     Leo-K
  • I have located a 2002 SC430 with 115K miles. I am considering buying the car for my wife who only drives 8K miles per year. Is the SC430 reliable enough to go another 40K without constant trips to the dealer?
  • carnaughtcarnaught Desert SWPosts: 2,661
    As reliable as the car is I would definitely avoid the high mileage used model. When the top mechanism, Nav. or luminescence goes, it will be costly.
  • lexusguylexusguy Posts: 6,419
    The SC430 set JD Power initial quality records, with less than half the industry average of problems. However, any car that new with that kind of mileage I think is probably not a good idea. If it was a '96 SC400 with 115K sure, another 40-70k would be no problem. That kind of mileage on a new car would make me nervous though. Have you thought about a late model C70 convertible for her instead? Not quite as flashy, but heavy depreciation means good deals on low mileage cars.
  • I appreciate your advice concerning the high mileage SC430. I read one time that you should allocate ten percent of the selling price of a new car for annual maintenance. Sure, you could go several years under ten percent, and then you get the big repair that brings the average up.
           The Volvo convertible is a nice car, but when I look at a red SC430 photo on eBay, it is just not the same.
This discussion has been closed.