Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lexus SC 430

Comments

• vkingvking Posts: 3
    I've had a similar problem with the volume controls on the steering wheel AND the two knobs on the center stack. And this is on a replacement amplifier.
  • I have given this info before,,,I had terrible experience with the original run flats..after suffering for 10,000 miles, and after extensive investigation, I replaced them with Dunlop run flats..which improved ride 90% and performance 90%...had cousin out of town with same car..who had same experience.,.and I followed his advice to Dunlops..then after writing 8 letters over time to Lexus..to no avail, I told my dealer about my experience,,he spoke to Lexus for me, and lo and behold...I finally received a check for the $1106 the tires cost me..Lexus had been 100% unresponive to my problem..becasue it is a national problem..otherwise, I am very happy with the car..just have 17,000 miles at present and as soon as they make any marked changes to this car, I will trade for new one..will also replace our 99 GS300 next month with new GS300..which is ordered...and believe me..in spite of what the dealers tell you, they will deal on the 06..In Scottsdale, AZ was offered $5000 discount (after some negotiating) and similar deal in my hometown...on east coast...so shop around, I have a couple dealers tell me "list price" ..baloney..let them keep that car.....
  • diemakerdiemaker Posts: 6
    After posting my message #875, then reading Lexuslover's message #895, I found that Ron was right on the money! I put the new 05' Shocks & Struts on my 03', and it did in fact improve the ride and handling. While I still have lots of tire wear left on my originals, I'm leaning towards the Pirelli P-0's for replacements just because of good results on a Mercedes SL that I used to own. Thanks for the tip Ron!
  • ardo1ardo1 Posts: 3
    I have purchased 7 Lexus from the same salesman and dealership over the past 15 years. I am looking to trade in my '01 LS 430 for a 02 SC 430. You would think I was pulling teeth!! They would only reduce their price by $500 and would only match CarMax's price on my trade-in. By the way, I just had the 60K service done -- so the dealership would not need to do it on my trade-in.

I love the cars, but is behavior normal for the folks selling the products? No customer appreciation. How about some goodwill?

thanks.
  • Questions:

I am going to buy a 2002, 03, or 04 SC430.

Do they have GPS or DVD nav. or can you get either?
    Do they have a spare tire? If so where does it go?
    What is the gas mileage at 75 mph on the highway? in town?

Looked at an 02 said they got 8mpg in town and 12 on highway? sounds really low.

anything else you can tell me (warn) me about would be greatly appreciated

Sorry about this one, but should I get a 2003,4 or5 MB500SL instead?

Thanks
  • ardo1ardo1 Posts: 3
    I am searching also. However, do to budget constraints only concentrating on 2002 & 2003 SC 430s.

No GPS -- but does have NAV. No Lexus Link (remote access). Most come with Runflat tires, thus no spare. No trunk room for a spare, if you had one. Hard top nice feature for sound. Handles very well.
  • jbradbjbradb Posts: 39
    my '02 SC430 with runflats gets 14mpg in town (almost always driving less than 10 minutes at a time) but about 24mpg at 75-85 mph on the highway
  • moi2moi2 Posts: 1
    :mad: Welcome to the headache of the sc430--2003. I had to replace all 4 OEM Dunlop run flats at just 17K miles because only the inner tread wore down to 2/32. Had about 10-15K left on the rest of all 4 tires.....Was told this by both the dealer and the Dunlop tire guy. There's a guy in CA who is designing bearings to counter the negative camber which is part of the design of the car and which is causing the tire failure. This is not a race car!!! The issue is whether Lexus shou ld foot this bill for us....
  • ClairesClaires Chicago areaPosts: 1,222

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

Set of 4 = $1200 installed, warranty, etc. at Discount Tire
    Dealer = $1600+ for same

Has anyone used a non-dealer tire store for these? Discount Tire says they've changed many with pressure sensors and the key is just to AVOID the sensor while the tire is changed...true?
  • janwyljanwyl Posts: 1
    The problem isn't the handling of the car--it is the run flats. This has been an ongoing "problem" since the car was introduced and while more recent models are slightly better, the fundamental problem is the small sidewall necessitated by the 18" wheels. The problem isn't the handling of the car--it is the run-flats. This has been an ongoing "problem" since the car was introduced and while more recent models are slightly better, the fundamental problem is the small sidewall necessitated by the 18" wheels.

My wife has a 2002 SC430 and after 33,000 miles, the tread was wearing enough that it was time to replace the tires. We went for the Michelin Pilot Sport 2 (around $250/tire). These are not run-flat tires. I know there is a risk that a tire will fail leaving the car stranded, but the ride on the old OEM tires was so bad, we thought it worth the risk.

The good news is that the ride has VASTLY improved. It now rides like a Jaguar XK8 we had a few years. Along with the improved ride, if anything the handling has improved as well.

Overall, much recommend. :D

BTW, another issue with the original run-flats is that they are susceptible to “bibles” developing in the sidewalls. The tires we replaced had developed two...
  • mikestevensmikestevens Posts: 17
    Does anyone know if Bluetooth and/or satellite radio are available as either factory or dealered installed on the 2005 SC430?
    Just replaced Bridgestones with Dunlop 5000 DSSTs at Discount Tire. On a scale of 1-10, the car ride used to be a "4". Now, about a "7". Dramatic improvement, as others have mentioned before. Not as smooth as I'd like or even as smooth as other Lexi I have driven, but vastly better.
    Does anyone know if you can pay for an upgrade? (I have an '02)
  • micronmicron Posts: 1
    My father just bought one today. He has bluetooth in his car and i believe it is factory. As far as the satellite radio im not sure. Hope that helped.
  • mikestevensmikestevens Posts: 17
    Thanks for the info. I managed to confirm-no satellite--they just released photos of the 2006--a few changes to the front, I don't of any interior changes...
  • jecholsjechols Posts: 1
    Hermann2,
    You are absolutely right. We have a 02 Sc430. Dog tires. Lexus will and did nothing. I bought new 20" wheels and tires. Looks great. The car cannot hold the wheels. Too much. Must try 19's. I am in the equipment end of sales for the automotive industry. Very disturbing that Lexus will put a car on the road like this. My wife won't let me get her the new SL500 Mercedes. TOO MUCH MONEY.
    I bought a M45 Infiniti, absolutely in love! Drove a new Lexus GS 430. No spunk and soft suspension. IF you drive the new M45 you will buy it. Two friends have changed from Lexus to the M45. Reason, better car, more for the money. $55,000, LOADED. I mean loaded! Lexus better wake up, finally here comes Infiniti after trying for many years. By the way, my one son is driving the Infiniti G35 coupe, my second son just got his, my daughter just turn 16. Know what I am buying for her? They are safe, resale is great and just damned good looking. Also the Infiniti dealer reminds me of the early Lexus dealers, hungry. They're great. Run flats suck but Lexus sucks more for not fixing the problem that I bought from them. I will keep talking with the wife but looks like Lexus is on their way out with us. I started with them in '92 with an LS400. Too bad the prices have gone out of sight, but most of all they won't stand behind their cars. Good luck!
  • iancariancar Posts: 31
    As Lexus, Japan is making their final preparation to launch, the new SC430 will have its nameplate changes from soarer to "SC430" and minimum front-end changes. I believe these changes will apply to American model in 2006 SC430 with some upgrades with it. http://lexus.jp has full range of details and pictures.
  • calster1calster1 Posts: 2
    I am thinking about buying a 05 sc430 but after reading some of the comments about the run flats on this site I am thinking twice. I initially became a little nervous because even in the Lexus sales material they advise ( in super fine print) that you can expect to get much less then 15,000 miles on the sc430 tires. But wear does not seem to be the problem facing many readers in this forum. Can some one tell me what it is exactly about THE "problem" that everyone seems to be commenting on without identifying exactly was the nature of the problem is?
    Bottom line, many of the early tires were bad...so much so that some people's rims were dented and ruined. They also had a very short life.

I must have gotten in after the bad ones, but mine still rode VERY loud and rough....very UNLexus. Just replaced them after 18K miles and Dunlops are much better. It was a very bad call by Lexus NOT to replace those peoples' tires (although they may have done a few for those who shouted the loudest) and make them happy. It has left a bad taste in my (and MANY owners') mouth to have trusted Lexus to make a superior product only to receive a mediocre one. The car has been a pleasure, otherwise.
This discussion has been closed.