Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Echo Care and Maintenance

Comments

• borgir77borgir77 Member Posts: 3
    hi does any know how many bottles of transmission fluid does the toyota echo after you drain and change the filter.. thanks :shades:
  • orenroseorenrose Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 2000 Echo last october. Like it a lot. But the "check engine" light went on and for $97 (the cost of checking what the light means!)they told me I need a charcoal canister: cost, 260 for the filter and 200 for installing. Does anybody know any cheaper alternatives? And is it easy to install the charcoal filter? Thanks for any info. Oren
  • rickolanorickolano Member Posts: 1
    I avoided buying the cabin airfilter which my new car didn't have in the first place. Toyota is still selling theirs with coupon for $45.95 NOTE: This is rediculous. You can order from Advanceautoparts.com for $14.00 plus shipping.

The actual location is behind the glove box. Open the glove box and with your two hands on ea. side, squeeze the plastic inward then pull. It will detache from the little rods. You'll then see a whitish color tray-front. Pull it out. This is where the filter will lie. Make sure to face in the correct orientation. Replace glove-box by squeezing in the sides again set into the opening and push!! You'll hear it click into place and then know it is attached.

:P Rick
  • soma033soma033 Member Posts: 1
    So, the other day I go to one of those 10-minute oil change places and the guy pulls out a white filter from the engine and says it's my "air filter". He said I should change it, but I said to just put it back in and I'd do it myself later after doing some research. Today, I go to look under my hood to find where he pulled this white filter from (which looked like this one: http://www.drivewire.com/toyotaparts/catalog/toyotaechoairfilter.html ) and for the life of me I couldn't find it. I looked in this little compartment that's right in the middle up underneath the windshield wipers that could have fit a filter the size of what he showed me. However, when I went to look in my manual it only ever mentioned an "air conditioner filter" in the glove box. So I took out my glove box and pulled out the tray that should have held the filter but there was nothing in there.

Now, my question is, could he have pulled out the air conditioning filter from under the hood or is it only accessible from the glove box? Are there two filters, one for just "air" and one for "air conditioning" or are these one in the same?

Or am I completely not seeing something under the hood that I should be?
  • moparblue2moparblue2 Member Posts: 86
    there are two filters. one in the glovebox for air. one under the hood. the one you are looking for is under the hood. it is in the little black box on the left side of the motor. it has the two round hoses hooked to it. you will find two clips at the front of the black box under the round hose. undo the clips & lift top of box & you will find the filter you are looking for!!!!!!!!!!!! :shades:
  • phizelphizel Member Posts: 6
    I want to replace the side-marker bulbs on the left and right front fenders of my 2005 Echo Hatchback. The lens covers seem very flimsy so I'm reluctant to try prying. Does anyone have experience with this? Thanks.
    I don't think a manual for the ECHO exists, but have you tried locating one under the YARIS name? The ECHO is actually a YARIS test marketed in North America as the ECHO and sold in North America in 2007 under the YARIS name. Mechanically the ECHO and the YARIS are the same car. I hope this helps.
  • tallcoolone63tallcoolone63 Member Posts: 3
    Manuals are available from Toyota, but theyre pricey......just curious, are you in the U.S. or Canada? Im interested in bringing a HATCH to the states, they never sold em here.........any suggestions?
    I'm in Canada. There are 2000 to 2006 Hatches still available here, but I don't know what the deal would be getting it through US Customs and then registered with DMV in your state but there must be a way. Have you considered buying a 2007 YARIS Hatch stateside? That and the ECHO are the same car,
  • cdannacdanna Member Posts: 5
    I've removed "Check Engine" light by simply disconnecting ground at battery, waiting 5 minutes before reconnecting. Voila!
    I thought cat was bad when you smelled hydrogen sulfide. True or false?

Also, Maintenance Manual says change "non-platinum" plugs every 30K, yet the Owners Manual says (p.129)"Your engine is fitted with iridium-tipped spark plugs." Aren't these good for life of car?

Finally, the repair manual was $230+ when I checked at the dealer's parts dept shortly after I bought the car for $11,800 (total) in Jan '00.

BTW, my gas mileage is phenominal--averaging 43 with a low of 33 in bitter cold (short trips in city) and a high of 50.3 on 400-mile trips! I shift early without lugging engine, coast to red lights and stop signs, seldom "step on it," and fill tires when cold to 31 or 32 pounds. 88K and only front brakes, and stabilizer bar replaced.
    Toyota shop wanted to change dirty filter (showed to me) but too much $$.
    I bought home AC filter at Quality Hardware for less than $2 and followed rickolano's instructions. There's enough for another change (but not 87,000 more miles).
    Scratch plugs. NGK tech said the Echo iridium plugs are good for as much as 100K, so disregard manual's "change "non-platinum plugs" every 30k. But see Owner's Manual to confirm iridiums in your car--see "spark plugs" in index.

But what about catalytic converter? Does it always stink when bad?

Again, thanks for advice on cabin air filter and AC pipe/hose insulation. Golly gee, Willikers! I'll be breathing cleaner air and getting over 50mpg with AC on.
    I've just purchased a 1995-2005 Echo service manual on a CD in pdf format that covers just about everything. I got this from a seller in Australia for 7 dollars on e-Bay. The CD has the Toyota logo and is copywrited by Toyota Japan so it's either an original or an excellent pirate copy. It covers all the mechanical and electrical components of the car and includes component drawings and might be something Toyota supplies to Dealers service departments. Manuals certainly exist and don't cost a fortune. It's just a matter of searching for them.
    I know what it looks like, but where exactly on engine is it?
    Auto Parts store "read" the ECU "Check Engine" code and said to clean the rear oxygen sensor.
  • allenchenallenchen Member Posts: 2
    I am looking for a service manual CD for my 2003 Echo, and I've also found the CD on eBay offered by a seller in Australia. But I need your help to get more information about this CD before I buy it on eBay. Here are my questions: Does it cover (1) OBDII codes and electronical wiring? (2) all sensors locations? (3) how many pages in total in that CD? (4) Who is the CD publisher of this manual?

Does it a universal manual only for Echo or Yaris (no specific year or model)?

Thanks and I appreciate your prompt response.

Allen
  • summertime1summertime1 Member Posts: 1
    Hello,

I am not sure if this is the right place to ask this- but I just had a question. I have a 2001 four door Toyota Echo (which I love!). I had it in for service to get the oil changed etc. The dealership marked that the Accessory Drive Belt(s) require immediate attention.

Can anyone tell me what these are?

I apologize if this has already been covered (I searched but
    could not find anything on this) and hopefully this is not too stupid of a question!

I appreciate any insight anyone could provide.

Thanks!

Summertime1
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    These are the rubber belts on the front of the engine (which faces the passenger side under the hood). I can't remember offhand, but I suspect that the Echo just has a single belt that runs everything, which includes your alternator (without which your battery gradually goes flat) and power steering and A/C. Generally, the miles or the chemicals in the air eat your belts up about every four years. If yours is cracked or glazed, it may not be doing its job properly any more, and if it breaks you will not be able to drive much further before the battery goes dead, especially at night. For the $99 (hopefully less, that is a California price!)the service station will charge you, it is worth it to replace it once it is worn.

I will have to go look under the hood later and see how many drive belts mine has. I get it confused with my truck. :-/

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• rjgeerjgee Member Posts: 27
    2 belts. Takes about 60-90 minutes to change them. Toyota recommends every 60k. I've changed mine 3 times already. I let it go to 70k the first time, and the main belt had small cracks in it - which means it was really time to change it.
  • echoriderechorider Member Posts: 4
    i've looked everywere for the service manual can't find one no where ... if its not to much trouble can you or maybe someone else send me a copy of the manuel or cd over the internet? ill apreciate your help
    I'd be more than happy to burn you a copy of the CD if you will provide a mailing address. Unfortunately I have a dial up connection and my server would time out trying to send something this large on the net. These CDs are supposed to be available at dealerships but I haven't found one that has it. The one I have I bought from a contact in Australia.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Not a good idea to post a mailing address on a public webpage. One or both of you could/should make your email address public so you could contact each other offline with that kind of contact info. You can always go back and make it private again after you get where you want to be.
  • echodadechodad Member Posts: 1
    Need your expertise. I have also changed both belts on my son's 2001 Echo, but I must not have tightened the power steering pump belt tight enough, as it is squealing. I had to take off the right tire, and still not have much room. I had trouble finding a pry point. Any suggestions? Thanks.
    THANKS PAT GOOD ADVICE. DUNNO WHAT I WAS THINKING ABOUT OTHER THAN ASSUMING EVERYONE HAS A PO BOX.
  • readymadereadymade Member Posts: 1
    I'm in a similar position with my Toyota Echo, would readily pay for a book or a CD or something, which gives me firm guidelines on how parts are supposed to fit together. There is a website called http://www.alldata.com, AutoZone has a link to it. Has anyone used it, does it have any useful information? I was surprised how unintuitive the process of replacing a battery was compared to other (bigger) vehicles. Just looking for some schematics, showing all parts involved... Thanks!
  • mopar71mopar71 Member Posts: 31
    If you have power steering you have 2 belts if non power steering you have only one belt.Replace with a gator from goodyear will last longer.Has ribs and cross cuts for cooling.
  • rep5858rep5858 Member Posts: 45
    Unless im reading it wrong, toyota's maintennce schedule does not include changing the transmission fluid with automatics ever unless its used under severe conditions. I do not use the car under severe conditions, so i havent changed the auto trans fluid yet i have 150k.
    Then talked to service guy at loacl dealer. He said I should be changing it every 40K . Who is right? the manufaturer recommendations or the service guy?
    rick
    The manufacturer recommendations. The guy at the dealership just wants to slip about $150 out of your wallet for a "power flush".

At 150K, just keep on doing what you have been doing.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• kneisl1kneisl1 Member Posts: 1,694
    I agree. Just make sure you check the oil level and itll be fine. It a good idea to check underneath the trans for leaks too. The mechanic is full of it.
  • pulgopulgo Member Posts: 400
    If you carefully read in your manual what severe conditions means, you will realize that almost everyone drives under severe conditions.

Considering the cost of draining and refilling the transmission compared to the total cost of keeping a car over 150k miles or more, IMHO a drain and fill every 2 years is cheap insurance, especially if you want to keep the car another 150k miles (should be no problem).
    Severe conditions are using your Echo all the time in stop and go conditions, like using it as a taxi for instance, or using it most of the time on dirt roads, or using it to tow.

Much has been made over the years about the "severe conditions", so much so that from what I hear Toyota is eliminating any confusion by just stating each of these three conditions as a separate category now rather than letting the owner decide, and then listing the specific things that need more frequent attention in each category.

Many new models on the market since 2000, from all manufacturers, have lifetime auto trans fluid as long as you don't tow. This includes most Toyotas (maybe all, I should check that some time). Certainly includes the Matrix and the Celica, which I have owned new. And those models do NOT include heavy stop and go traffic as one of the severe conditions, only dirt roads and towing.

edit...I just looked, and this also applies to the Echo and the Sienna, I looked them up at toyota.com. If I were to check them all I bet I would find that Toyota does not recommend routine replacement of auto trans fluid on ANY of its models any more.
    Now if you tow, it's a different story - then the change interval is 60K miles.

I am willing to invest $ 50 every couple of years and do the transmission drain and fill. It's worth it IMHO.
  • good4good4 Member Posts: 2
    I don't know if someone on this forum is still willing to provide a 2001 Echo owner such as myself a copy of the workshop manual via a CD, but I would certainly appreciate the opportunity to have this resource for upcoming self-perform maintenance. I can be accessed at archer@lexmark.com Thanks much. :)
  • larshelarshe Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone tell me how to access the air conditioning filter
    in my 2001 ECHO sedan?

What is meant is probably the in-cabin air filter. It is behind the glove box.
    Well now I'm intrigued. The Echo has filtered cabin air? Are you sure?

Yes. I am sure. I exchanged it a few times myself.

Kneisl: You have the factory manual. Could you give some advice to the procedure, as specified officially?
    1) remove glove compartment door.
    2) release the two claws and pull out the filter case.
    3) remove the filter from the case and install the filter.

Should be obvious what to do once the door is off.
  • rjgeerjgee Member Posts: 27
    I'm pretty sure the 2000 doesn't have the filter; I think 2001 and up have it... they always seem to change little things from year to year... Sort of like the 2000 having the Iridium plugs stock, and the 2001 and up came with either regular or platinum...
    Well well, the little Echo continues to amaze me.

Has anyone here installed a rear sway specifically on an Echo? I understand people have found them quick and easy to install on the all-but-identical-underneath Scion xA.

• fermac01fermac01 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I have an Echo 2004 and my left door key lock stop working, if anybody know how to remove de inside door cover and the windows handle so i be able verify the security lock mechanism. Tks
  • echo60echo60 Member Posts: 1
    Trying to find out where I can sell snow tires we had for an Echo which we sold. Only used one season and would like to sell, thanks
  • luvmyecho3luvmyecho3 Member Posts: 6
    prbly 10W-30W.
    i hope u still have ur car.( plz do not go to jiffy lube or any other quick oil change places.) they are notarious for not putting oil back in or somehow messing up resulting in serious damage to ur engine.dealerships tend to charge LESS for an oil change and in my experience do a pretty decent job.
    3000-4000 mi would be much better.6000 mi seems a bit long to go w/o changing the oil.
  • luvmyecho3luvmyecho3 Member Posts: 6
    much too soon
    echos have platinum plugs and do not need changing untill u have 90,000-100,000mi.more ways for them too make more $$ off of u.
    i have an 01 as well and am getting ready to change plugs w/95,000 mi.
  • ChazzleeChazzlee Member Posts: 6
    Could you be more specific? Do you mean the upper, smaller glove compartment door, or the lower, larger bin where the manuals are kept?

Also what kind of filter, and where does one obtain it? From a Toyo dealer?
    Thanks,
    drummer
    The larger lower door where the manauls are kept. Push the two sides together towards each other and the door will slip out.
    Yeah you gotta get the filter from Toyota. Make sure you have one first...theres some question as to whether ECHOs have one at all.
  • dakedake Member Posts: 131
    Or, if you don't want to pay 30 to 40 dollars for a basic pleated paper filter from Toyota, you can go to the hardware store and buy a cut-to-fit air filter and slide it in the tray. That's what I've done and it does work, while being way less ridiculously priced.
    In my Echo, the filter was $15 at the parts counter at my local dealership. So, not $40. Indeed, about the same price as an underhood air filter would be for a fuel-injected car.

And my Echo certainly has one, although from what little I have heard on the subject, it was optional for some or all model years?

So I was beginning to have the problem that in cold or wet weather my key wouldn't work in the driver's side door lock any more. I went down to the hardware store and paid $3.99 for this little bottle of Lock-Ease which I squirted in there, and it's like the lock is brand new again!

Which also means that for now my Echo remains repair-free for its lifetime, just coming up on 115K miles now.

I'm so glad, I was afraid I was going to have to plunk down the cash for a new lock cylinder plus getting it re-keyed to match the key for the other locks and the igntion. If that ever happens, though, I will take the opportunity to order another key with the large black plastic head, as it seems Echos only came with one.

This discussion has been closed.