Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Echo Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• bobprodbobprod Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Echo as well and have a similar irritating noise when slightly accelerating, with low load (such as u a small hill), once I accelerate and or get more speed all is fine. The Technician at the dealership was not sure as he couldn't tell if he heard the noise or not. I was told that everything sounded mechanically OK and that I shouldn't worry about it, but am concerned that it may lead to a greater problem later.
  • mrmagoo69mrmagoo69 Member Posts: 1
    I had a high pitch noise in my '00. It turned out that the wheel bearings needed to be replaced. It's free to check it out.
  • camvapjoecamvapjoe Member Posts: 2
    The 2003 Toyota Echo I owned produced a noise from the rear of the vehicle right from the day I drove it off the dealerships lot. I spent numerous visits to the dealership hoping their technicians would correct the problem. I ended up having to take Toyota to arbitration. The arbitrator ruled in my favour and awarded me a buy back.

Has anyone else experienced a noise like this in the echo?

I have detailed my experience with Toyota and the arbitration at link title.
  • camvapjoecamvapjoe Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone else experienced a noise like this in the echo?

The 2003 Toyota Echo I owned produced a noise from the rear of the vehicle right from the day I drove it off the dealerships lot. It sounded like glass on metal or metal on metal. I spent numerous visits to the dealership hoping their technicians would correct the problem. I ended up having to take Toyota to arbitration. The arbitrator ruled in my favour and awarded me a buy back. Toyota never solved the problem.

I have detailed my experience with Toyota and the arbitration at link title.
  • bmccallbmccall Member Posts: 9
    I also have a 2001 Echo (5 speed) with 43,000 miles on it. For the past 6 months, it was hesitating in the upper RPM ranges of gears 1-3. I tried about 10 different fuel injector cleaners, but nothing changed. I finally brought the car into Toyota and paid $64 for their fuel injection service. My acceleration and power is much better. I still feel a slight hesitation in the upper RPM ranges but I'm hoping that will improve now that I'm using Chevron gas instead of a "no name" cheaper gas. I've read that Chevron Techron (in the gas) really helps keep the injectors clean. I've also read that if you have injector problems, try putting two bottles of Chevron Techron in your tank and then 1 bottle per tank for the next two tank fill-ups.
  • peacejbmpeacejbm Member Posts: 9
    No, the dealer checked it but never could tell me what the problem is. I think that they think I am some kind of nut, lying about the problem but I really can't think of anything I could or might have done to cause it. Very strange. I'm sorry you have the problem, too, but I'm glad to know I'm not the only one. I feel so validated now! ;-)
  • echokcechokc Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 Echo and have to change both of my O2 sensor (before and after the catalyst). The part are quite expansive.
    I want to change them myself; Anybody have any experience with the replacement.
  • rjgeerjgee Member Posts: 27
    I believe you can get aftermarket o2 sensors for the Echo. Check at a standard automotive parts store. They will cost a LOT less than a dealer charges.

But first...
    Are you getting a check engine light with codes that says both sensors are bad? o2 sensors don't seem to be a common problem on the Echo...
  • echokcechokc Member Posts: 2
    Yes I have the engine light on.
    I went to a couple of mechanics and they all say that it was the O2 sensors.
    As for the price I have been checking on the internet and aftermaket sensors are around 30% cheaper than original parts.

There are 2 different catalog parts for the O2 sensor after the catalyst;
    Do you know any way of knowing which one I should buy?
  • jo71jo71 Member Posts: 1
    we have the same problem on our automatic 2005 echo sedan. Did it ever get fixed?

Thanks
  • morpheus1morpheus1 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I recently bought a 2005 echo, and after the first usage of the heater I smelled what I think is prestone. I took the car back to the dealer about a month after and they said they could not smell anything, and did not find any leaks. I do not know if I have just grown acustomed to the smell but I don't know if I smell it all the time now, but I still get an occassional swiff. The point of this is that now that it has gotten cold outside (I am in Montreal Canada) my windows are ALWAYS fogged up. I have to keep the defrost setting on the front {{{{ and the fan on at least 3 just to see out the windshield. My back windows are always fogged over. If I turn the dial to feet (even half feet half defrost) or if I turn the fan down to 2 so my nostrils don't bleed the windshield immediately fogs up.

Has anyone ever had this problem or can suggest a possible solution? (carpets are dry, air vents are exterior)
  • graylinergrayliner Member Posts: 39
    My trunk leaks and the rear window is foggy a lot, probably due to the moisture nearby.
  • lyndsea83lyndsea83 Member Posts: 2
    I have the same problem with my 00 Echo. It turns out all you have to do is turn the gas pump upside down while filling it up and the problem goes away. So...you put it in as normal and then twist it upside down....
  • moparblue2moparblue2 Member Posts: 86
    I DO NOT NOW IF YOU HAVE A LEAK. BUT I DO NOW YOU HAVE TO HAVE VENT ON FRESH AIR. TO DEFOGG ANY OF YOUR WINDOWS. WE HAD A NEW 2000 ECHO. TRADED IT IN 2002. THEN WE BOUGHT A USED 2004 LAST YEAR. :)
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    It would be greatly appreciated if you did not post in all capital letters. It is difficult to read and appears as though you are SHOUTING.

Thanks for you cooperation!
    i am new to this posting thing!!!!!!!!!! :blush:
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    No problem. Welcome to Edmunds Forums! :D
  • verydisapointeverydisapointe Member Posts: 2
    When I am stopped with my foot on the brake pedal my pedal will drop 1/4 inch to 1 inch, this happens intermittently. I believe it is the master cylinder by-passing. 2 dealers have looked at it and said there is nothing wrong... but the problem is intermittent. I was told to bring it back at my cost, and maybe if I am very lucky it will happen for them. Otherwise I am expected to spend thousands of dollars to keep bringing the car in to the dealer for a warranty problem that Toyota will not honor. I am very concerned for my toddlers safety. I have also reserched recalls and 2000-2002 echo's had brake problems and the recall's started aroud the fall of 2004. If anyone has any info or has the same problem...I look forward to hearing from you.
  • bollockchopsbollockchops Member Posts: 1
    Hi Toyota forumers,

The picture below is of the cruise control unit from my '04 Echo RS. The cruise has not been working since I bought the car previously enjoyed, from a regional Mercedes dealer.

There was only 15000K on it when I got it, so it is still well under warranty.

Toyota service tells me this is not a Toyota part and therefore can not service it. Can anyone tell me if they've seen this cruise unit on any other Toyota's, or for that matter, any other car? If you have cruise on your Toyota, perhaps you could send me a snap of it, so I can compare it to mine.

If you recognize the unit as not being a Toyota part, but an after market one, and know who makes it, please tell me.

I'm tearing my hair out trying to get this darn thing serviced, under warranty or not.

Thanks
    Bill

BTW, the picture is of under the hood, looking from the front center of the car, back toward the fire wall on the driver side. The unit is bolted to the front-left wheel's suspension dome.
    We have after market cruise on 04 Echo. But looks nothing like your. I looked in J C Wittney mag. They have one that looks likes your. :sick:
  • echoguyechoguy Member Posts: 1
    recently my 2002 won't start unless I hold the gas pedal down slightly. I know that newer cars do not have chokes on the carb, but it acts as though the choke is not coming on. Once the car is warmed up it runs fine. Could this be one of the sensors ... if so which one?
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    sounds like a bad sensor, specifically the one that tells the engine computer to idle up because it is cold. On other Toyotas I have had, the sensor itself is lcoated right at the water inlet.

bollockchops: I don't think there is such a thing as a "Toyota part" for cruise in these cars. Mine has the aftermarket cruise from the Toyota Southeast distributor (port or dealer installed), and it is not located where yours is under the hood, nor does it look the same, sorry.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• tkjobetkjobe Member Posts: 1
    I have the same acceleration problem. Did you have to clean the sensor again and did you have a check engine light on the car?
  • rwgreenbergrwgreenberg Member Posts: 154
    Hi. I have a 2003 Echo and love it. I have not gone back to dealer for anything since purchase - don't trust the dealership service at all (not that I have given them a chance, but have had numerous past bad experiences with dealership service departments). Anyway, I see that there is a recall to do some kind of corrosion protection routine. Anyone have this done? Is this a waste of time? If you had it done, did the service department screw up anything in the process? Thanks for advice/feedback. Rich
  • pavelowpavelow Member Posts: 1
    Hello : I have a 2001 echo 5spd, 95,000 miles, that when you coast in low gears with the clutch engaged the vehicle bounces vertically but you can usually accelerate out of the vibration and on the highway at 65mph its smooth and the alignment is straight. I had the tires balanced and they couldn't duplicate thru the test drive. The dealership couldn't duplicate either. Maybe it's a Echo thing, but all I've owned are manual transmission cars and I've never had this type of a problem. Also it seems to be more pronounced when cold.
    I am not sure I totally understand the problem, but could it be time for new shocks? Or have I totally misunderstood?

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• jmrbkjmrbk Member Posts: 18
    I had the rotors replaced on my ECHO a couple years ago, probably around 20,000 miles; the dealer told me they had warped. They are bad AGAIN. I just made an appointment to have them looked at next week. I'll post again when I know more.

The car is a 2002 and only has about 37,000 miles on it. I have a short commute, only about 7 miles each way (city driving).

Is anyone else having rotor problems?
  • echo_gurlecho_gurl Member Posts: 2
    I own an '01 Echo and has been a real peach of a car but within the last month it has been making a rattling noise and I thought that it might possibly be a loose bearing in the alternator but today my radio went out. I was wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem.
    Turns out my rotors had rusted (which is odd; it does not sit for long periods of time) and had damaged the brakes. I paid $500 at the dealer for new front brake pads and new rotors. This is the second time I have had to replace my rotors and I have less than 37,000 miles on my car. I do a lot of city driving (90%), which may be part of the problem.

My dad feels that they charged me too much (I had the work done at the dealer). I will probably start bringing my ECHO to a local (Ann Arbor, MI) Japanese import shop that has gotten good reviews.

Any thoughts or input?
  • lcmsprolcmspro Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know of a good place (internet site) that I can order replacement center console lightbulbs for my '00 echo?

thx =)
  • aussieechoaussieecho Member Posts: 22
    My 2004 Echo has been underwater up to the steering whheel. when the ignition key is turned ON , each of the spark plugs only fire once. If the key is turned OFF , the plugs will fire once again when the key is turned on again. So if Aerostart or petrol is sprayed into the throttle body, during the attempt to start, it is unsuccessful, and only sputters once and stops
  • filmbearfilmbear Member Posts: 2
    I've just gone through this (well still going through it) but the best place for replacement bulbs is your local Toyota dealer. Most 3rd party places either don't carry the size you need or have never heard of bulbs that small. I had a heck of a time finding any website that listed they carried them. They should run you about $5.00 or less for 2.
  • filmbearfilmbear Member Posts: 2
    It's a piece of cake to replace those bulbs. Start to finish should run you about 10 mins, if that.

Sit in the driver seat and grab the top of the pod right about at the seam you can feel. Now pull straight towards you and it pops right off. You don't much strength to do it.

Once it's off, you will see the display module. There are two phillips screws (one on each side). Remove them but don't drop them or it will be a real pain finding them. Now that the screws are out, the module comes right out. Don't pull too hard on the wires that are attached. They are not fragile but they are not coming out.

Turn the unit around and you will see towards the bottom right behind the two gauges there are two grey plugs. They are not really plugs but they are maybe 1/2 inch long and you simply turn them counter-clockwise (they only go about a 1/4 to 1/2 turn) and the grey thing comes out and there is the light bulb at the end with a blue covering on it.

Remove the covering, replace the bulb and covering, put the grey thing back in and rotate clockwise and put it all back together. The trim piece will just pop back in place.

That's all there is to doing it. I've ripped mine apart about a dozen times. It's not tough at all.
  • maxx124maxx124 Member Posts: 8
    hello there its up near the manifold the gasket o ring needs replacing ,seem to be common problem
    toyota wants 60 bucks for the kit a 5o cent oring and a couple of bolts the cost to install around 200
    i've been searching for an after market one ..no luck
  • stdbobstdbob Member Posts: 14
    I just put my first set of brakes & rotors on my 02 Echo at 101,000 miles. Love the car.
    Holy cow!!!! That's about 70,000 more miles than mine lasted!!!!! I have written a letter to Toyota HQ and the dealer. I want to know if I ought to expect to replace the rotors every 20,000 miles or so. It's insane. We'll see if I get an answer.

Do others get their Echo's serviced at dealers or at local shops? I don't think I'll be going to the dealer for service anymore.
    serviced at the dealer, just because it happens to be closer than any other shop, and they provide a free loaner car with every service. Plus they ought to be the experts if a repair crops up. Haven't had any repairs yet though...

I could easily see the brakes going 100K miles on such a light car though, especially if you do a lot of highway driving.

• medievallosermedievalloser Member Posts: 3
    I am trying to install a GPS on a 2000 Toyota Echo. I am unable to locate the Reverse signal. Any pointers would be appreciated. I believe the signal is on the ECM but not sure which one. Thanks in advance for your help. If anyone has a electrical diagram or a repair manual, it would be great.
    I have the electrical repair manual , but am in Newcastle , Australia. What part do you need ?
  • borgir77borgir77 Member Posts: 3
    :D does anyone know what goes in hte trunk under the carpet. i c theres molding for tools.. can anyone identify them.. o yes and last question, how many quarts does the engine need.
  • tundradudetundradude Member Posts: 588
    My 95 Corolla had its first set of brakes at 93,000. At 194,000, its time for the second set.
    What brand of OBD scanner will work on Echo ? I just bought a Chinese OBD 2 model 380 and when its plugged into the fitting under the dash it reads "Error". I understand Auto Zone have one that works ?
  • niti05niti05 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same exact problem, I took my car to auto zone (by the way I have a 2000 Toyota Echo), they said the error code was the oxygen sensor, I have yet to fix the problem and seems as if it has gotten worse. At first I self remedied the issue by letting carw warm up by waiting for my blue light to go away. That helped out, but as time went on(shame on me--I know) I can no longer maintain speed on the highway and is hesistates like no other, but once I get to 80mph I'm good, but now I'm breaking the law....when I drop speed it drops down to 55/60 and as I press the accelerator I also have to pump or else it will continue to drop speed, or if i try to just press accelorator to maintain speed I might as well be hitting the brake.

Anyhow I have read all the replies and will take everyone suggestions and ask for help 1st and take this info to a mechanic.
  • borgir77borgir77 Member Posts: 3
    sound likes the spark plugs are worn out. my dads car was doing that.. my check engine went on because i had a missfire. krakato call you tell me how many quarts of motor oil do you need 4 a 2000 toyota echoo. i know it should be 4 quarts but i want that exact mesurement.
  • jsgimpjsgimp Member Posts: 2
    YES YES YES! My hubby and I just drove home our (new to us) 2003 Echo and to our dismay experienced this same issue while driving on the highway!! Is this a defect in these cars because it was never mentioned when I looked it up pre purchase on consumer reports! It honestly feels like either my ear drums will explode or the windows will. Did you get any answers when you asked others or the Toyota people about it? We certainly should be able to drive with the windows down. Jsgimp.
    This is a problem with most new cars today, now that aerodynamics have become a finely honed, computerized science. At higher speeds they "helicopter" with the windows open. Every car I have had for the last four or five years has done this.

It is often worse in smaller cars, but I had this issue with both of my 4Runners as well. And in my Echo, it is mostly fine as long as just the driver's window is down - have you tried that?

I have 108,000 miles on my 2002. Replaced my front brakes at 102K. Rear still had 1/2 life left, but I replaced the shoes anyway (did the brakes my self). It was very easy to do.
    Other than that I had a wheel bearing go bad at 101K.
    Love the car. Expect another 100K miles out of it. 40 mpg still. :)
    I did my brakes my self at over 100,000 miles (easy job). The parts are expensive. I was told that it was expensive because there weren't as many Echos as other cars. I did all 4 wheels including new front rotors for about $250.
    Sounds like a ballast resistor. Check to see if the Echo has one,
    I drive mostly highway, about 28,000 a year.