Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Echo Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• pulgopulgo Member Posts: 400
    My 01 Echo came with Michelin tires and now at a mileage of 107k miles they still have 6/32nds left.

I think the answer to your question depends on both the brand of tire your particular car came with and the type of driving of the previous owner.
  • sluglineslugline Member Posts: 391
    If you want a good education on how to shop for tires, check out http://www.tirerack.com. They are a good place to buy, and even if you don't buy from them, you'll learn basic information that will be valuable to you if you're buying from Costco or elsewhere. Unfortunately, since I'm not a Costco member I'm not familiar with what brands/styles they carry.

Your tires may have needed replacing at 40,000 miles. My girlfriend has an ECHO and I told her to replace them at 30,000 miles. While you only need 2/32 in. of tread to pass a safety inspection where I live, I feel that traction is compromised before that point. While browsing the The Tire Rack, be sure to learn about UTGQ ratings. If you pick a new set of tires with a higher treadwear number than your original set of tires, they should last longer.

By the way, when you get your oil changed, do you also get the tires rotated? That will make the set last longer.

(Pulgo, heenas says the ECHO was bought brand new, so there's only one owner to point fingers at. :) )
  • pulgopulgo Member Posts: 400
    Thanks for pointing that out.

I am guessing the tires that came with heenas Echo were not Michelins.

In my opinion 4/32 in of tread should be the limit and not 2/32 in.

In a few month I will change my tires to Michelin X Radial DT, available at Costo for $ 82.37 each.

I will go 1 size up to 185/65. It is not a perfect mach and will probably require a recalibration of the speedometer.

But they should last for close to 120k miles (760 treadwear rating).
  • peirheadpeirhead Member Posts: 1
    Just wondering how your clutch problem turned out..My 2000 Echo has 50,000KM and sometimes the chutch hops after it is fully released coming away from a stop.
  • iwannatoyotaiwannatoyota Member Posts: 2
    hello everyone
    i am looking to buy an echo hatchback but am concerned about driving in the snow... does it really just depend on the tires??

Any advice will help
  • lee16lee16 Member Posts: 1
    This started a while ago and had become progressively worse. Whenever I try to fill my 03 Echo with gas, the pump shuts off as if the tank is full when it's empty. It takes forever to fill my car. I've tried everything, holding the nozzle in different positions, etc... I've asked gas attendants to try it out and nothing works. I really can't afford to take it to the dealership and was hoping it might be a quick fix. If anyone has had this problem and resovled it, or has any idea about what I could do, please let me know. It would be extremely helpful.
  • greenejogreenejo Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone else have a problem with the engine making a high pitched noise while idling or cruising at low speed? The noise goes away when you press firmly on the gas and accelerate but the moment you come to another full stop the high pitched noise returns. I'm told by the dealer that the problem is just air being taken into the engine and that it is common with Echos. Does anyone else have a similar problem or maybe a solution?
  • 719b719b Member Posts: 216
    you say the "dealer" said it's the air intake. who is the "dealer"? a salesman, general manager, or was it from the service dept?
    have the "dealer" show you other echos that have the same high pitched sound before you accept his explanation.
    i think the average driver can recognize normal engine noises and what is abnormal... so be wary of an off cuff explanation.
  • greenejogreenejo Member Posts: 2
    A mechanic in the service department of a Toyota dealer told me it was the air intake and showed me how increased fuel intake (or pressing on the gas pedal firmly) makes the noise go away. I'm inclined to believe him (because he was so thorough in his description during the 15 minutes he took to explain the "ins and outs" of the problem.
    However, your helpful words of advice do make me wonder. I'll try another Toyota dealer and see what they have to say.
    Has anyone out there ever heard of or experienced a problem like this? Any possible solutions are welcome.
  • stinkfootstinkfoot Member Posts: 1
    Lee16,
    I have a 2005 echo hatchback bought new in August 2004. In December, i began having
    trouble filling up the car. since the weather was getting colder, I assumed it was the related.
    But the problem got worse so by early March during my first oil change, i talked about the problem to my dealer. They said they never heard about problem but while the mechanic was changing the oil , he decided to check out the vapor canister near the gas tank to see if it was related to the problem. Well the canister was filled with gas ( not normal ), so he emptied it, blew compressed air in it, and put everything back together. He came to see me in the waiting room and asked if i ever filled my tank to the rim, i said i did once to calculate
    gas millage on a really full tank of gas. He said filling it up to much might have re routed
    some gas into the vapor canister and that it would be a possible cause to the problem. He asked that i fill it up in a normal "fashion" and to call back if i still have the problem. Well let me tell you the car filled up just like it did when it was brand new. No more pump shut offs. No more long fill ups. The problem is now solved. Hope this will help. Good luck buddy.

Stinkfoot
  • equisequis Member Posts: 2
    Hi all,

I just found this forum, and it looks great! I have a question.

About 2 months ago, I read an article in The Province Newspaper that Toyota was going to recall a number of Echos (can't remember what years) because the floorboards were prone to rust. The article said that Toyota would be replacing floorboards for free, and would be notifying owners.

I haven't received any notification at all, and was wondering if anyone else has heard of this recall that was in the newspaper article. I am going to contact the dealer, but thought I'd try you folks first.

I LOVE my Echo, and think they are fantastic cars! :)
  • rossm2rossm2 Member Posts: 96
    This may help. As far as I know, no vehicles have actually experienced rusting through, even in the high salt environments of Eastern Canada. It seems to be reventative only.

"CORROSION PROTECTION ENHANCEMENT ECHO CPE PROGRAM
    March 2005
    Dear Toyota Owner:
    Thank you for driving an Echo. At Toyota, we are dedicated to providing vehicles of outstanding quality and value. As part of our continuous effort to provide superior customer satisfaction, Toyota is announcing a Corrosion Protection Enhancement program that includes your Echo. Toyota has recently become aware that under certain operating conditions and exposure to high concentrations of road salt, the original corrosion protection layer on the interior floor panel of Echos
    manufactured before September 29, 2004 may be compromised. In order to ensure your continued satisfaction with your vehicle, we request that you arrange to have your Echo inspected by an authorized Toyota dealer. Upon inspection, the dealer will apply Toyota approved anti-corrosion materials that will enhance the corrosion protection of your vehicle AT NO COST TO YOU.
    Please contact any authorized Toyota dealer at your earliest convenience to schedule an appointment to have the corrosion protection enhancement performed. Servicing will take approximately three (3.0) to eight (8.0) hours to complete. However, depending upon the dealer’s work schedule, it may be necessary to make your vehicle available for a longer period of time.
    This Corrosion Protection Enhancement program is a limited time offer. We request that you arrange to have your Echo serviced under this program before September 30, 2005. If you have any questions, please contact the Service Department at any Toyota Dealer. We have sent this notice in the interest of your continued satisfaction with our products. We greatly appreciate your continued patronage of driving a Toyota.
    TOYOTA SERVICE OPERATIONS"

More information can be found by googling echodrivers and/or "campaign 505".

Ross
  • equisequis Member Posts: 2
    That is very interesting. Although we don't have heavy concentrations of snow and road salt here on Gabriola Island, we are right by the ocean so I think it would be a good idea to have my Echo taken in for the enhanced corrosion protection. Especially since it's at not cost!

.... besides ... my little Echo deserves a Spa treatment once in a while. :)

Thank you very much for posting that information rossm2.
    My pleasure. By the way, I live in Port Alberni - we Islanders need to stick together.
    ;)

Ross
  • seasnow9seasnow9 Member Posts: 1
    Hi from a Newbie:-) :blush:

Just had my 2004 Echo done yesterday.
    That part was good. All done now.
    the car is great...good in snow and I am a snowboarder, no fuss and no probs (this is my second Echo..I owned the first one in my town..the 2000 demo car:-)
  • mattclimattcli Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 Echo. Sometimes, when I first hit the accelerator to pull out into the road, the car will stall (i guess that's what you call it). Basically, it doesn't go as soon as I hit the gas. At this point I usually reflexively push the gas harder even though it doesn't really help. The car will then suddenly "catch up" and begin to accelerate. After that, it's fine. I can go the rest of the day without a problem. It may actually be several days or even weeks before it does it again. It seems to happen in any type of weather. Warming the car up seems to help, and I usually do so, but sometimes I'm in a hurry. And it won't always do it even if I'm starting cold.

Any ideas? Can anyone even make sense of what I typed? I obviously know very little about cars. Thank you for any help!
    Is your ECHO an automatic as I suspect? If so, the problem is likely transmission slippage. Have you ever had the transmission fluid changed? Check the fluid level and condition (or have someone do it for you as you say you know little about cars). If it is dark in colour or smells BAD, have it replaced. 5 years is a long time for transmission fluid. If the problem is a recent one, you probably won't be looking at an expensive repair. Good luck and let us know the outcome.

Ross
  • mattclimattcli Member Posts: 2
    Yes, it's an automatic. I'll have the fluid checked ASAP, and I'll definitely let you know what happens. Thanks for your help!
  • echobcechobc Member Posts: 1
    Hello All.
    I have owned a 2003, 2004 and now a 2005 echo 4dr sedan automatic with A/C. With all three cars I have had an annoying issue. On a mildly windy day when driving on highway doing 60-65mph (100-120kmh) I can feel every little gust of wind. I have to continually correct my steering as each gust forces me to the shoulder of the road, and it is especially bad when passing large trucks. I have 14" tires that have a medium profile (stock size). Firstly I was wondering if anyone else notices the "sail like" profile of the Echo? And secondly does anyone know if a lower profile or larger radius tire would help to reduce this type of problem.

I have also seen a lot of earlier posts made commenting of the weak A/C system on the Echo and I totally agree. On my 2003 the A/C had a lot of problems. When I would first engage the A/C the car would shutter and almost stall with a harsh kicking sound as the compressor started. Then with continued use the car would idle erratically and the temp would rise. I had it into the dealer many times but a problem was never found. Then on my 2004 I hoped the weak A/C would be forgotten, but alas I suffered another summer.
    When I took it into the dealer this time they said that summer weather is hot so the A/C cant intake cool air so it wont get as cold. I KNOW IT’S HOT….THAT’S WHY I GOT AIR CONDITIONING!!! They replaced a valve or something and it never got any better anyway. I now have a 2005 and so far would almost suspect the A/C has improved, however we have not hit the real hot temps of summer yet so that is still to be proven.
    I had a friend who is a commercial A/C technician suggest insulating all of the pipe connections off the compressor with insulating tape (like the stuff used for your hot water pipes in the house) I have yet to try this but hope it helps.

And you may ask why/how have I owned 3 Echos in three years?
    Well these pictures should explain.

This is my 2003 after an $11000 rear end collision.
    This is my 2004 after getting rear ended and pushed under the truck in front of me.
  • SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    A reporter is looking to speak with owners of Chrysler, Saab, Toyota or Volkswagen vehicles who did all the scheduled maintenance on their vehicle and still experienced engine sludge within the warranty period within the past year. If this describes your situation, please respond by 6pm Eastern on Monday, May 23, 2005 to jfallon@edmunds.com.
    Thanks for your consideration,
    Jeannine Fallon
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com
  • abby3abby3 Member Posts: 5
    The floor on the passenger side of my Echo is soaking wet and I can't get it to dry up.
    Everytime it rains it is wetter, could this be the Program 505 problem or
    something else?
  • jstaylorjstaylor Member Posts: 1
    I also have an echo (2000)-- just recently purchased -- that makes a high pitched noise. The only difference with mine, is that it makes the noise as I am slightly accelerating (I have not noticed it while idleing). I went to the dealer and they said that there was nothing they could do; the noise is apparently caused by the intake manifold.

I am wondering if the dealer gave you any solution for the problem. The noise is extremely annoying to me and i would like to have it taken care of. Hope to hear from you soon
  • mhindawimhindawi Member Posts: 1
    I bought 2001 Toyota Echo last week. I have been going nuts trying to find the windshield washer bottle. Even my mechanic looked when inspected the car but could not locate it. Any help on where it should be would be appreciated. TIA.
  • rwgreenbergrwgreenberg Member Posts: 154
    Hi. I'm hearing a tick-tick-tick rubbing sound on hard very slow turns. It is definitely related to the speed as the tick-tick-tick is faster at 5mph that at 2mph. I looked in the whell well and it seems that it is possible that the wheel is hitting the pliable plastic thingo that is mounted in the well. But it looks like this plastic thingo is not something one can bend or easily get completely flush with the metal behind it. It alos looks like this platic thingo has not been disturbed in any noticable manner. The sound is much more noticable when when doing a right hand turn, but also is present on a hard left. It sounds like something not serious (I pray). Anyone else experience this?
  • jjjnjjjn Member Posts: 2
    I just experienced the same thing. I recently had to buy a new tire, so I did a tire rotation, and came up with a squeakig noise from the front end. I got the car up on a lift to find that the noise was coming from the CV boots, which were rubbing against themselves when at a certain angle! I sprayed them with some rubber/vinyl conditioner and the sound when away. I found in the past that it is a good practice to do this occasionally to keep the boots pliable which prevents (hastens) cracking boots that lead to a CV joint replacement. By the way, you don't have to put the car on a lift to get at the boots. Hope this helps!
    I had the recall call work done on my Echo and it hasn't rained, I haven't washed my car and now a week later my passenger side floor is soaking wet with clean looking water.
    It is right through the carpet and pooling on top now!
    Could something under the hood such as the air conditioner be draining into the passenger compartment?
    I think that you have most likely nailed it. Sometimes to hose which carries away condensation from the air conditioner can become blocked, thus leading to the problem you describe. Unclog it and I strongly suspect your car will be OK. Let us know please.
    :)
    Ross
    Took the Echo into the dealers today. They called me after an hour and offered me a drive in to pick it up. My they are so nice I thought. Got there on my own and there was no charge for the work, super nice now.
    Problem, the air conditioning outlet hose was not attached and they attached it.
    I suspect it was never attached. I bought the car from them 3 years ago new and the dealer added the air conditioning kit. I slapped big rubber mats on the floor when I bought it so it would take a lot for me to notice any water.
    They were so apologetic I was waiting for one of them to whisper in my ear, "Sell the car quick, it's screwed after all that water damage".
    What do you think?
    I would be extremely surprised if there is any damage at all resulting from the problem. You are dealing with condensation - essentially distilled water. It's not as though you had constant exposure to salt water such as you might get in winter in the snowbelt.

You might want to take a quick peek under the carpet for rust, but I think you are fine for many, many years to come. Thanks for letting us know the cause and the solution.

Ross
    It looks fine under the carpet at a quick glance.
    Thanks for the reassurance and your advice with the problem.
    Added bonus, got to look at the cars in the showroom
    and may be getting new car fever.
  • richechorichecho Member Posts: 1
    In traffic conditions my 2000 Echo temperature light comes on and the car overheats.
    I found that the 30 amp. fuse protecting the cooling fan opened on an overload. I replaced the fuse and after a few days the fuse opened agian. I took it to the dealer, They checked the car and found no problem. I have a Toyota repair manual, however it does not show an electrical diagram for the cooling fan circuit. Does anyone out there have a diagram or did anyone experience a similar problem ?
  • ronbo_echoronbo_echo Member Posts: 1
    Did the check engine light ever come on? I've got the same problem now and the dealer has identifed at least two expensive components the Air Flow Sensor and the O2 Sensor each is about $250 including labor to replace. What did they do to fix it?

Thanks Ronbo_Echo
  • normhnormh Member Posts: 30
    I had the same problem with my Echo. After reading about others with same problem, I decided to look at the mass airflow sensor myself. I pulled the cover off of the air filter housing and saw what I thought was this sensor. I took a Q-tip and some alcohol and cleaned up inside the opening very carefully as I didn't really know what was up there. As I did this, I noticed that the Q-tip was black (dirt). I used 3 or 4 in the process until it came out clean. I put it back together and it solved the hesitation that occured when the car was cold. Total investment; 4 Q-tips and a little rubbing alcohol. Electrical contact cleaner may also work (I didn't have any at the time. Try it; what do you have to lose? Normh.
  • peacejbmpeacejbm Member Posts: 9
    I bought my 2002 ECHO new in 12/01. Last summer as I was cleaning it up inside, I noticed that the header was splattered with .... something. Something that looked like Coke ore a thin, watered down ketchup. My husband and I are the only people who drive my car and neither of has had an incident involving exploding pop or ketchup. I kept wondering if something happened to it at the Toyota dealer when I had it in for routine service, oil changes, etc. but kept forgetting to mention it when I brought it in.

These stains were on the drivers side extending from the front of the header to the back. Yesterday I noticed that some of these marks are now on the passenger side as well.

My dad speculated that perhaps water is leaking in somehow and rusting? It's very stange. Has anyone had a similar problem with their ECHO?
  • sidnee27sidnee27 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    I bought my 2001 echo in dec of 2000 and it has 42000 miles on it right now. I just took it the dealer to get the oil changed and they told me that I have an exhaust leak. Has anyone had this problem and do you have any idea how much will it cost to fix it?
    thanks.
  • economywizardeconomywizard Member Posts: 1
    I bought my 2000 echo used last year with 14k on it. I have no idea what kind of driver owned it before me, it was leased. By around 20,000 miles I had to replace the breakes and the rotors. My friend is a mechanic and I took it to his shop. he siad that the pads were very small and he recomended sone higher grade brake pads.
  • stiehlerstiehler Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I have an '01 echo. When you go to push the gas pedal the throttle doesn't respond and the car doesn't move for about 1-2 seconds and then the car suddenly surges forward. It does this either when it's hot or cold. It has a brand new air filter, spark plugs, and I ran lucas fuel injector cleaner through it. What could be causing this??? Thanks

Jason
  • hainahaina Member Posts: 6
    I have a 2000 echo and my check engine light came on around 15K miles and the toyota service department said it was my transmission fluid being plugged up. Fluid needs to be changed every 15K miles. I have 65K miles on it and I have done the fluid like they said, well now for the passed 10k miles the check engine light comes on for a day then mysteriously goes off. Then a week goes by and the engine light comes on then goes off after a day or so. Does anybody have a clue what could be going on????? before I take it into the dealer. I have never had any problems with the car set for the engine light. no hesitation or anything. Thanks
  • deerhunter1deerhunter1 Member Posts: 1
    I too have the strange coke splatter on the head liner of my 2000 Echo. I had been blaming my teenage son for opening a shook-up coke can inside the car. I guess I need to apologize for falsely accusing him. Did you ever find out what caused it. It seems on my car, it wasn't there one day, and appeared the next.
  • islandgirlislandgirl Member Posts: 1
    I am having the same problem and my Echo has 27,000 mile on it. Did you find out what the problem was?
  • calincalin Member Posts: 1
    I had yesterday an unfortunate incident with my echo 2005. It seems my front bumper is dented in two places, and a little bit bent on the right side. I don't know what are my options now. Is it possible to repair it somehow, or I have to change it ? And how much would amount each of these options (it is a keyed front bumper for a sedan) ? Anybody with a similar problem ?

Thank you,
    Calin
  • mmacdonald1mmacdonald1 Member Posts: 1
    I took my 2005 Echo to the dealership because the air
    wasnt working and they told me the condensor was hit
    by a rock and thus not under warranty. They want 941
    dollars for a new one. Anyone ever had this experience?
  • knormoerknormoer Member Posts: 1
    All of the illumination light bulbs behind my instrument console in my 2001 Echo has died. The one on the right hand side went out first and a couple of weeks later the one on the left went out as well.

How easy is it to replace these myself? I assume I'll have to remove the center console (which houses the speedometer, etc) to do this. I just loath going in to the dealership to get this fixed since they'll probably charge me an arm-and-a-leg for the parts and esp. labor costs.
  • graylinergrayliner Member Posts: 39
    My '01 Echo has a trunk leak. Anyone find a solution yet? I thought about building up the gasket by squirting silicone under it.

An autobody shop said they're notorious for trunk leaks.
  • graylinergrayliner Member Posts: 39
    Mine don't come on right away either sometimes. I hit the right side of the "dash" cluster and they come on again. Try that and let me know, cuz I really don't want to get into my dash. I will put a glow stick in front of the speedohead before I have the dealer uncork my dash.

I have a 2001 manual sedan.
  • mdrafi76mdrafi76 Member Posts: 1
    Sometimes when I start my TOYOTA ECHO 2000 and am ready to drive, there is some strange sound that occurs(high pitch)....for about 3-4 seconds....almost a screeching sound....(not extremely loud, but loud enough so,I can hear even when the windows are rolled up)
    It goes away after 3-4 secs and does'nt happen every time...
    Any ideas?
    Thanks
  • 719b719b Member Posts: 216
    sounds like you need to have your belts tightened or changed
  • cllcll Member Posts: 2
    YES, I HAVE A FEW RATTLES BUT NOT SURE WHERE TO DIAGNOSE?
    HELP??
    MY 2000 ECHO IS DOING GREAT AND AT 120,000 MILES NOW.

AM WAITING FOR POSSIBLE CLUTCH REPLACEMENT.
    DOES ANYONE KNOW, ON THE AVERAGE, WHEN CLUTCH REPLACEMENT OCCURS, IN REF. TO MILEAGE??

WINDOWS DO RATTLE BECAUSE THE DOOR IS SOOO HEAVY - BUT NOT AN UNBEARABLE PROBLEM.

I HEAR A "RATTLE" RIGHT AFTER THE ENGINE IS STARTED, AND WHEN I AM MAKING A SHARP TURN TO THE LEFT - SOUND SEEMS TO BE COMING FROM LOWER LEFT FRONT OF THE CAR- ANY IDEAS??

POSSIBLY A CV JOINT?

ALSO, ONLY HEAR THE NOISE RIGHT AFTER I START UP THE ENGINE AND BEGIN TO DRIVE AWAY.

CLUTCH PEDAL IS NOT HARD TO PUSH, HOWEVER, THE SHIFT INTO FIRST GEAR IS GETTING A LITTLE TOUGH, AND IN REVERSE.
  • cllcll Member Posts: 2
    Yes, same thing. Note messages on the site and you will see lots of folks having problems with the AC. Also, in my old Toyota cars (years past), there was always some kind of problem with the AC. The only Toyota I had with a great AC was a Toyota Corolla.

My Echo had lots of small holes in it and exactly same spot - in the condenser. Condenser was replaced - part was purchased for $250/Texas prices. You are paying way too much. Find a good street mechanic to do the work for you. I paid about $300 for labor (using a small town personal mechanic that I know). Also, he recommended sautering a small piece of metal to place near that front grid down near the bottom of the condenser. This will protect rocks from jumping up into the condenser and creating the same problem in the future - ie. preventative maintenance. Probably prob is the placement of the unit and the fact it is so low to the ground - my Echo had about 100,000 miles before it (condenser) was replaced and the mechanic said that the result was rocks from pavement getting lodged in those small holes. Hope you find someone cheaper to help you out!!