Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

any tricks for getting gum out of a seat?

blinkerfluidblinkerfluid Member Posts: 3
beware this phrase,I ignored it at my peril, now I have mintaburst gum - with flavor crystals - ground into the seat of my galant (mouse fur interior).

Any tips on getting this stuff out?

Comments

• kinleykinley Member Posts: 854
    When the gum is frozen solid, it will not stick to the surface and should be easily removed. First have a drink and save the ice cubes for the gum.
  • seeligseelig Member Posts: 590
    also known as shellac thinner. try it, you'll be amazed at how easy it makes the fibers release the gum.
  • bretfrazbretfraz Member Posts: 2,021
    You can get it at Bed Bath and Beyond - places like that.
  • zueslewiszueslewis Member Posts: 2,353
    called "adhesive remover". It's used by body shops as paint prep and for removing what's left after a pinstripe leaves. Dupont makes a similar, better and more expensive product called DX330.

I've had good luck with both products and neither will fade your seats or carpet.
  • blinkerfluidblinkerfluid Member Posts: 3
    Thanks to everyone for your responses, I'll try them all,least destructive first.
    Makes me glad I'm just a granduncle(?) not a father...
    says it all for you. Please do not have kids that you would deem less important than you and your "things" as the kids would be ignored by you.Stay single and stay in therapy.
  • pej_76pej_76 Member Posts: 1
    Walmart sells a product which is excellent at removing gum and tar, especially out of carpet and upholstery. It comes in a spray and works quite fast, just don't soak the fabric. I believe the name of it is "Citrous Solution" but I could be wrong. Just ask at Walmart, it's Orange in color.
  • metricmmetricm Member Posts: 1
    Whoa, Kinley, a little harsh there :)
  • seeligseelig Member Posts: 590
    should you come back here........let us know how you did........:-#
  • bretfrazbretfraz Member Posts: 2,021
    I came across this and it looks like the hot tip:

http://store.yahoo.com/tolae/chewgumrem.html

It's sold by Top Of The Line - http://www.topoftheline.com

• cantremember11cantremember11 Member Posts: 1
    The solution is so simple and inexpensive. I've used it on my husband velour seats in his Z, the bed pillows, hair, and carpeting. RUB IN A DAB OF PEANUT BUTTER. IT WILL DISSOLVE THE GUM AND THEN WASH THE SPOT WITH DISH DETERGENT. PROBLEM SOLVED. GUM GONE. GOOD AS NEW.
This discussion has been closed.