Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda RX-8

Comments

• lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    I recently rejoined the rotary fold by buying a relatively rare 1990 RX7 convertible in MINT condition. Driving this car has resparked some interest in the RX8. Owning a rotary car is truly different and has made me almost completely forget the 92 Miata it's replacing (a car I loved to drive)! The exhaust note is so different (almost sounds like a race car) and the way the engine revs so smoothly is intoxicating. I talked with another RX7 convertible owner who said he heard there are plans to introduce an RX8 convertible. Is there any truth to this?? I was also curious how big the gas tank is on the RX8 and whether premium is required? Does anyone run 89 octane with no problems? The one shocker with my convertible is the HUGE gas tank that costs a bundle to fill up a little too often, but I would prefer to have a big one considering the mileage is on the low side. My one disappointment in the Renesis is how no real improvement was made in the fuel economy area although performance was increased quite a bit. My car was rated at 17/25 back in 1990 with a 5 speed. I currently get between 18-20 mpg.

As for those who are seeking rotary reliability reports, I think I can provide some insight. While the RX8 is different in it's intake and exhaust port design, the engine itself is similar to earlier normally aspirated rotaries. I owned an 84 RX7 for 1 year with unknown miles and the car was flawless in its reliability. It was driven daily in city traffic and handled it just fine. It always started up the first try. Only on 1 occassion did it "flood", but it had a carbureator that was in dire need of rebuilding. Otherwise, I was able to move the car a short distance to wash it and it wouldn't flood as long as I let it run about a minute. Granted, I live in northern Florida so we don't encounter extreme cold. It never drank more then a quart of oil between oil changes (often the usage was closer to a 1/2 of a quart, much less then a number of high mileage piston engines) and that was with the engine being well worn, leaking a little, and using a less accurate mechanical oil metering pump. My "new" 90 RX7 is also an excellent running car. It has 109,500 miles. It fires right up and has been turned on and off without fully warming up and no flooding has occured. I try to run it about a minute or two and sometimes blip the throttle before turning it off just to make sure it doesn't happen though. I haven't owned the car long enough to determine oil usage but the previous owner said it uses about a 1/2 quart between changes. Not really a big deal at all. The one problem that older rotaries run into is idle stability. They tend to have funky idle problems as they age and are more sensitive to vaccuum leaks. Maybe Mazda has figured that out with the Renesis. All in all, I think prospective owners shouldn't be too concerned about the care required with the rotary. A non-turbocharged rotary is just as durable as a piston motor and though the oil needs to be checked periodically and a little extra caution should be used when moving the car extremely short distances, I think there is no reason a non-car guy couldn't handle owning this car. I think people who just don't understand rotaries have blown their quirks way out of proportion. The only thing you should prepare for is large V6 like fuel economy.
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    Thanks for the insight on the technology.

If you've ever driven and RX8, you'll notice the similarities between the RENESIS and older FDs.

More importantly, you'll notice the differences, too (which are fairly dramatic).

RX8s have relatively small gas tanks (15 gal or so). I think that's why quite a few notice more frequent fill-ups.

The RENESIS can run on 87. I don't do it because I want to get as much out of it as I can....so it's 93 for mine.

I'm getting 19 MPG in mixed driving. No flooding and mine doesn't burn enough oil between changes (5K miles) for me to get worried about.

Keep us posted on how your "new" RX is working out.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
    Just 15 gallons eh? That would explain why you guys are getting much lower miles on a tank. I went 278 city miles on the last tank and the gas light still wasn't on. Mine holds 18 gallons. One time it almost cost $30 to fill it up! I nearly had a heart attack, LOL. I still can't believe such a small car has such a huge gas tank.
  • vtlcvtlc Member Posts: 25
    My MPG specs are true to my findings. Like I said Im biggy on MPG but I love the car so I will not hold it agianst my 8. My PR5 averages 26 MPG in mixed driving on EZ.

In my 8 I found if I drive it EZ keeping the tack below 4k I get the worst MGP on a full tank. Keeping the revs in the mid range 5 to 7k in gears 1,2,3 gets me the best MPG. I usually drive in 4th at 45mph in city.
    Last time I drove an RX prior to owning the 8 was 10 years ago. It belonged to a (then) girlfriend.

The sound of the rotary was somewhat similar, and handling was vaguely close, but it's clear that the 8 was built from what the Hiroshima engineers learned over the years of development. The RX8 feels like a clean sheet design in comparison.

If I could get my hands on a convertible like yours, I'd probably jump on it, however.

IMHO, all the RXs are special cars.
    If you like lots of attention, you would surely enjoy owning the RX7 convertible. I've never owned a car that attracts so much attention, mostly from admiring men. They circle my car like hawks and ask if they can check it out. I see necks snap around in cars going in the opposite direction. This car just makes me beam with pride. So far, everyone who has seen my car said they have never seen one in such good shape and love the sporty looks. When I say mine is in mint condition, I mean the paint and body is flawless (no nicks, dents or scratches and the paint is thick and lustrous)! The top is only a year old and looks brand new (no stains). It looks like it just came off the showroom floor. The only thing that gives it away as being 14 years old is the original leather seats, which still look surprisingly good. I happened on a gem of a car. Thanks ebay!! As an interesting sidenote, did you know Mazda is responsible for "inventing" the windblocker? The RX7 was the first car to use this device. I was suprised because I figured some luxury automaker probably invented it.

p.s. If I talk too much about the RX7 in here, you can tell me to shut up, LOL. I needed somewhere to talk about the car and this is the only open rotary forum.
    I do need to commend Mazda on keeping the RX8 so affordable. The original sticker came with my RX7 when I bought it. Can you believe it stickered for $27,600 back in 1990??? That didn't include anti-lock brakes or remote keyless (neither of which were available), and the car only has 15" wheels (although they are beautiful BBS rims) and a driver's airbag. You can pick up a base RX8 for that today with lots more features! I'm amazed at the value Mazda has rolled into this car.
    All rotary enthusiasts are welcome here.

I remember those BBS wheels....very nice!

I've looked at used RX7s in the past as 2nd cars. All I was looking for was a clean one with reasonable miles. Most of what I found were highly modded ones (done by people who really didn't know what they were doing), TTs that were in good shape (but those rode like bricks and the owners wanted WAAAYYYY TOOOO MUCH money for), or ones that had 200,000 + miles on them.

It sounds like you've got a sweet one. Hold onto it.

RX8 is quite a sports car bargain, too. While mine is pretty well all loaded up (GT with NAV), you can easily get one with a sports package for well under $30K. I've yet to find another car in recent memory that offers the speed, handling, high quality, precise steering and shifting all in a comfortable package as the RX8 offers.
  • carlikercarliker Member Posts: 285
    Shut up about your RX7.

I'm only kidding of course, but you are taking graphic's place as the poster with an overflow of car pride.
    You have got to get your S2000 out of the garage....you're starting to get "testy".
    Just leave me alone! The high today is 42 and it just won't warm up.

Actually, graphic, you have already cheered me up! I can't help but chuckle thinking about the expression on your face when you saw that teen posing on the hood of your car. Must have been priceless! Anymore instances to share?
    Excuse me, the high for today is only 35, when the average temp around this time is 50. Maybe that's why I'm "testy"!
  • cheezeboycheezeboy Member Posts: 218
    carliker and gguy - I bought the perfect cure for you both - I went to ehobbies.com and got the 1:18th scale die-cast of my RX8....for my office desk...so that I can stare at it all day long when I am working!! You both need to go get one for your cars....yes, I am fortunate to be able to drive my car everyday, but that 8 to 12 hour period I sit at my desk each day is a killer!!......just so you know, the die-casts are wonderful! Excellent build quality. Don't worry, I plan on updating my website with some pix! (I have way too much free time some days!)

And for anyone who says that it's a pain to check your own oil. Every time I do the check, someone comes over to talk about my car. And last night two separate lovely women wanted to know what kind of car it is!! Ok, ok, one of them was about 14, but her mom was cute too! (and probably younger than me also...jeeze) But the oil check is just another way to meet some really nice folks! And that's what life is all about, right?

ok, time to go get some cotton pads and wash my die-cast model. :-)
    carliker...I've actually been driving my car for the last 2 weeks. Weather in southern OH is "teasing" with 60's one day and 30's the next. As long as there isn't any snow on the ground, I'm in the RX8.

As I've settled down about the female "teen butt" scratch on my hood, I have been able to view it with a bit of humor. I can't wait until it gets warm enough for me to "address" the "butt scratch".

cheeze...make sure you use 100% cotton "mini-towels" on your model....may as well throw a coat of Zaino on it while your at it.
    So....I take my new Ehobbies 1:18th scale car to a friends. She was having a dinner for a few of us and I wanted to show them how crazy I am....So I set the model on the table and the beautiful, sexy, wonderful redhead goes to pick it up...by the little side rearview mirror...and POP...off comes the drivers side window section...she smile, giggles, looks at me and says, "Is it supposed to do that? hehee".....NO!.....I banned her from both my toy car AND my real car.......oh, the pain I feel...the pain!!......

and gguy - I can't clean the model too well though ....the redhead also tried to clean it and rubbed off the Mazda logo......arrrgh.....women... :-)
    Do not....I repeat....DO NOT LET THAT WOMAN ANYWHERE NEAR YOUR RX8!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What is it with females and this car?
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Mazda Mania

Welcome to the Mazda Mania Weekly Chat!

Liven up your evening and join your fellow enthusiasts every Tuesday from 6-7pm PT/9-10pm ET for our Mazda Mania Chat!

We'll be testing your knowledge with some Mazda-related trivia questions this week, so be prepared! Hope to see YOU there on Tuesday!

Mazda Mania Chat Room

PF Flyer
    Host
    Pickups & News & Views Message Boards
    gguy - I hate to say this, but....maybe it's us?.. maybe we are weirdo magnets.......and the RX8 only amplifies it......hmmm......just a working theory!
    I'm sure you're the "babe magnet". In my case, it has to be the car....I'd like to think it's me, but I know better.
    Did she sit on the hood and scratch your die cast? You and graphic need to start a self-help group on how women have attempted to destroy your RX-8s.
    LOL....nah, I mean she is a tiny lady, but she would've done some serious damage to the mostly plastic model!....but I have a great vision in my head now! Thanks!....

Happy St. Patrick's Day to Edmunds and all here at the RX8 boards!....have a green beer on me!!
    That could explain why I'm single.......;-)
    gguy...you ain't "single" single...you gots one of dem der girlfriend thangs!.....so that's not the same thing.....

...and my car got an offer for a date...pretty girl said that she and my car would look good going to a new restaurant....I asked, "What about me?"...she said, "well, you get to drop your car off at my house and watch the cats!"......LOL.....

new personal record - Local posted offramp of 25mph. Tonight - 68mph.......yes, I keep track!..wheeee!
    Got hit with a "snowstorm" this week....strange for this time of year. RX8 went back into the garage. This weekend is supposed to get to 60....welcome to the weather in the midwest.

On the other hand, when it's scorching hot in FL, I'll be enjoying "moderate temps".

I love getting the DSC on mine to kick in when I'm hitting the on-ramp waaayyyy toooo fast. It always "snaps me back" onto the right "line".
  • slices17slices17 Member Posts: 35
    I was on my way to work this morning when the engine oil warning light came on. It happened when I shifted from 6th to 5th. Needless to say, it was a rather disturbing experience. Fortunately, the light went out after a few seconds.

Later on, when I shifted from 4th to 3rd, the same thing happened again - engine oil warning light came on, stayed on for a few seconds, and then went out.

Has anyone experienced the same? I looked it up in the owner's manual and the owner's manual does say that the Renesis engine consumes a small amount of oil and that the owner should check the oil level frequently. Do you guys check your oil level regularly?

Thanks.

Ray
  • flatsoflatso Member Posts: 24
    You better check it as soon as you can slices. You read the manual but did you check your oil?
    The experience was disturbing but you didn't feel the need to check the oil?? You should check the oil so you can determine if it's just a little low or whether the sensor is malfunctioning and is need of a warranty repair. I would say you should check your oil every 2 tankfuls.
  • pathstar1pathstar1 Member Posts: 1,015
    by the rotary engine is normal. It's not that it "burns" oil, it injects it into the intake. The fact it burns or not is unimportant. By design, it needs to inject oil into the intake to lubricate the apex and side seals. Unlike a piston engine, where the oil in the crankcase is splattered all over the cylinders/undersides of the pistons thereby lubing the rings, the rotary engine oil is held away from the rotors (although the rotors are actually filled with oil but it does not get onto the rotor housing). As they cannot be lub'd by splash it must be injected into the intake. This oil is taken from the sump and "consumed". It isn't usually enough to require adding a lot between changes. I don't have to add any on my 3rd gen RX-7. It just uses a litre between changes (just like my 2001 Pathfinder).

There was also a problem with the oil sensor location/baffling and that is a TSB addressed fix (replace oil pan and change sensor mounting - the pan has to be replaced because it's likely to be bent when removed to get at the sensor, not because they changed it - they changed the sensor mounting/baffling). That may be your problem.
    As everyone has mentioned, it's always a good idea to check your oil every 3rd fill-up or so, regardless of the make/model of the car. Most cars don't come with an oil level sensor. Fortunately, your RX8 does. You should check the oil and not wait for the oil level sensor to tell you it may be running low. I've had friends and colleagues tell me they ruined their engine (pick a car....Accord, Lincoln, Benz, Infiniti, etc) by saying..."well, I never check my oil...how come my engine needs a rebuild at only 60,000 miles?"

If your RX8 has been built in the last couple of months, you've probably already got the new oil level sensor already installed. But, as pathstar mentioned, you might want to ask your dealer if you definitely have the newer oil level sensor. They should be able to tell you based on your VIN#.

Long and short of it, check your oil....NOW!
    So, I went to the Ft. Lauderdale International Auto Show on Saturday night. (with a lovely blonde too!!)Anyhoo, I got to see a few things like: the new vette (nice, but not my style), the new stang (crap compared to the concept car I saw), the new cobra (why does the old one still look cooler?), a Maybach (any car with drapes, is not my car), the new GTO (big engine muscle car throwback, but nice I guess), and the new bronco concept (if they make it, it will look nothing like what I saw!) Also the young lady I was with wanted to see her possible new car - the Mini-S. I have to say, if I couldn't have an RX8, I would go for the Mini! (with the JCW mod!) it's just a darn cute car, that a 6 footer like me can fit in. Heck, I got in the back seats with another couple up front (they wanted to know if a tall person could fit back there - I volunteered!). Nice car.

BUT, and this is what made me irritated, why was Mazda a no-show? I go there to be able to brag about how cool the RX8 is and Mazda isn't even there. What a let down.....Mazda are you listening? Go to every show! Hello?.....

:-)
    That's odd that Mazda was a "no show". A couple of weeks ago, they had a big presence at the one here in OH. Strange....

The guy I autox with has a new Mini-S. You're right. It's "cute". Still, for roughly the same money, I don't think it compares with the RX8.

The driving dynamics, while similar, are much more balanced with the RX8 than the Mini-S.

If you think the RX8 or G35c or 350Z have had some issues, they doesn't hold a candle to the problems he's had with the Mini.

That said, I do enjoy driving his Mini when I get the chance. I just don't know that I could live with it (kind of like your blonde).
    gguy - really?...bad news with the Mini?.....maybe I should check out the mini boards here at Edmunds.. I thought with BMW behind it, it would be a solid build....

yeah, I figured that the Mini was not as "dynamic" to drive as the RX8....but if there was no RX8, I would still swing the Mini way....just to say I had one to the grandkids.......of course, saying the same about the RX8 is so much cooler, IMHO....
    It could be just my colleague's Mini-S has had problems. I don't know if it's a wide spread issue or not. In addition to some interrior/exterior pieces just falling off, he keeps taking his back to the dealer stating it doesn't perform correctly. While some of that feeling is due to him being an excellent mechanic, some of it is due to his over-zealous expectations. He's feeling a bit of buyer's remorse (he really wants a Posche, but can't afford one).

I jump into his car and have a blast. Of course, I don't live with it day in and day out, either.
    Your neighbor shouldn't feel too bad. The Porsche Boxster wouldn't bring him the excitement he probably yearns unless he got the S version. Also, since the Euro has gained the dollar, German cars will be getting more expensive in the next couple of years -- which means you'll be getting even less for your buck! There was an article about this on Autoweek.com. This has nothing to do with what you guys were talking about but I thought I'd stop in and say hello.
    carliker - I just read the same article and suggested to a few friends who have been looking at German cars, to either make the move now, or pay more later!....

I am not up on Porsche - what is the "S" do that's better?....."Sport" version?...just curious.
    The Porsche Boxster S has more horsepower and suspension/handling is improved in that version. It's also at least $10K more for a $55K price tag.
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    I'm not sure about the Ft.Lauderdale show but unless it's an A-tier autoshow, like LA, NYC, Detroit the mfg often have the local dealers handle the show......so the blame may be with your local dealers and not mazda. Here in Hartford which is a B-tier show the local delaers bring the cars and run the display...mazda only sends the big logo sign..
    yeah, that's what I thought...the Miami show is always the big one...Ft. Lauderdale gets the big "B" rating...but come on...no Mazda?....lame...there are 3 dealers in a 10 mile radius of where I am sitting right now!!...slackers......

has anyone here ever visited the Mazda plant in Japan?..
  • 41eclipse41eclipse Member Posts: 5
    The reason I ask is because my wife has a Mazda6 and recieved 2 regular keys(with remotes) and one valet key(grey)included with her car. When I got my 8 I only recieved one regular key and one valet key(both with remotes). I thought that to be kind of odd since it's the same manufacturer. Did I get shorted a regular(black) key?
  • davesaundersdavesaunders Member Posts: 7
    We got two regular keys with the remote entry buttons and one valet Key with our RX8.
    Your dealer should have given you....

--2 "master" keys with 2 remotes
    --1 valet key

It sounds like they owe you another master key and another remote.
  • 41eclipse41eclipse Member Posts: 5
    Thanks, thats what I was thinking.
  • georgporschegeorgporsche Member Posts: 12
    I found a Mazda dealer who has a website that lists the recalls/bulletins for the RX8.

http://www.finishlineperformance.com/rx8/docs/index.html
  • kevin111kevin111 Member Posts: 991
    Sorry to chime in but:

The Mini has had quality problems since inception, per CR. None that I know of regarding the RX8 (you guys would probably know more about this than me).

I know this is being brought up as an alternative, but personally, I do not think the Mini S(even with the John Cooper Works add-on) can hold a candle to the RX8's driving dynamics. RX8 is one of the few cars under $50K that balances neutral and communicative handling and a comfortable ride.
    Just for the record, I only brought up the MINI idea because a pretty blonde suggested it as ride, mostly because it's cute!.....if you were stuck 4 days out of 5 in bumper to bumper, going to AND from work, would ya rather be in ugly or cute car?....personally, I think my RX8 is damn cute...not as cute as the blonde, but cute! some people think the MINI is cute...and it is when compared to some other cars out there....sometimes it's not about performance...I am sure you all can remember some car you thought was cute and bought it knowing it only had a few hamsters on treadmills in the engine bay!.....heck, look at the original bug!....still going strong and not what you would call a "racer".....lol!....

anyhoo, I will stick with my RX8 being the cutest!
    That's the exact ownership experience my colleague has had regarding his MINI. His is the "S" model. While it's smaller and weighs less than my RX8, I don't give up any handling capabilities to his MINI on the road.

As small as it is, with the SC engine, it isn't remotely as quick as the RX8 is, nor as comfortable.

On a closed track, There may be a slight difference.

His big beef has been mostly build quality issues, which is surprising to me considering it's built by BMW. Knobs and trim just fall off. It rattles like a snake. There isn't nearly the solid feel with the MINI as the RX8 imparts. It reminds me of the build of the 350Z/G35c in some ways.

Plus, he says the BMW techs are snobish about his issues....like they are to be expected.

Could be his dealer or just his car. I think it's both.

Fact is, he waited a long, long time for a new MINI and probably should have looked at other cars outside of the MINI before making his purchase.
    So, I am talking to a kid in my apt complex who also has an RX8...I can say kid cause he is 22 and, well, I am not!....anyhoo, he tells me that his dealer told him about the "Upcoming 2005 Mazda Miata Rotary Engine Sport Coupe" that he should tell his sister about.....where do rumors like this start?....he tells me the dealer told him it was going to have "2 or 3 rotors" in it.....ah....ummm.....why do people say things like this?.....

well....I did my best to inform him that the trade mags have said nothing of the sort and that he doesn't need to worry about it - he has Mazda's best car - an RX8!.....
  • pathstar1pathstar1 Member Posts: 1,015
    Speculation only, but there was once talk of a rotary powered Miata. The "new Miata" is supposed to be built on the RX-8 chassis ("slightly" modified). Last I heard it was to be powered by the same basic engine the current model uses.

There may be a new RX-7. Current rumour is turbo charging the renesis is not practical, so Mazda may increase the displacement (for the first time in 25 years!) or go to three rotors. Not sure if they will call it an RX-7. Pro RX-7 is the history of that model, con is maybe they want to emphasize the renesis differences and may call it an RX-9.

Current sales of the RX-8 bode well for the sevens' return!
    I think a lot of people voice what their "wish list" would be.

I can see the appeal of a rotary Miata, but I think Mazda is looking to hold the RENESIS to their top model, which today is the RX8.

RX7 would be great. I'd be more interested in seeing future RX8s (RX9s?). I'd prefer more rotors as opposed to force feeding via supercharging or turbos.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Mazda has certainly built motors with more rotors so they know how. I believe their LeMans winning engine was a 4-rotor.