Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda RX-8

Comments

• cjs2002cjs2002 Member Posts: 341
    well I went back up there today to try and do this on my own and think I was doing good till I got to the paper work... about half way through I got this feeling like I was gonna mess something up so I asked if I could have them fax it to my father so he could take a look at it before I signed any formal papers... they did so now Im waiting to see if that pans through and if it does then I'll go back up this evening sign the papers and hopefully drive home in a shinny new RX8... any traps or pitfalls i might want to have a heads up about? im new to this
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    It all depends on the dealer...Mazda started accepting orders for November release of the 2005's. Like some other snow belt dealers, I will schedule mine to arrive in March.
  • cheezeboycheezeboy Member Posts: 218
    Gotta a question for anyone in here who might know. Other than the manufacturer, is there a website out there that has data/tests on our Potenza's? Just curious.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,930
    have you checked tirerack?

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    You've probably seen what my dealer's GM told me about the '06 RX8s. Can you shed any light on them from what you've seen/heard?
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • groovypippingroovypippin Member Posts: 264
    Although there has been some speculation about the addition of a convertible RX-8 to the line-up, Mazda continues to deny that rumour rather vehemently to dealers.

They continue, however, to muse about the possbility of a "two door coupe" version. Would this be called an RX-7? no confirmation, but seems likely. The coupe, it is speculated, would come in around the 300 HP range.

This new 330 HP rumour for the RX-8 may simply be early intel on a future MazdaSpeed version. I find myself being highly skeptical about the prospects of 330 HP being standard across the RX-8 line-up.
    qbrozen - thanks!...cool link....but I didn't see my tires there :-( but neat site....
  • blacktalonblacktalon Member Posts: 203
    This is the car I've been waiting for.

Mazda, if you build this, and it costs under $40K, well-equipped, I will buy it.
    not a problem.
    what tires are you looking for? potenza what? Cause I see the RE040 on there and it says those are OE.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• jeffjungblutjeffjungblut Member Posts: 1
    My local dealer had a white 2005 model in the showroom that they received within the last week. They hadn't received any customer brochures for the 2005s yet so they didn't know what interior colors (other than black) would be available for it. So if anyone here knows, it'd be nice to have a heads-up. :) I'm interested in white with black/chaparral leather.

The paint color wasn't really cream, it was more of a snow white mica. Not pure white, just slightly gray white, all sparkly. I believe the 350Z comes in a similar mica but it's more of an eggshell grayish white, slightly darker than the RX-8 white.

I'm looking to get a 6-spd white with GT package when it's available; the one in the showroom was automatic, otherwise I'd have a new car tonight. :(
    My dealer has told me the opposite.

No RX7, because it would fragment the RX model volume too finely. He did mention a convertible, however....a 4 door one, at that.

The 330 HP version may well be a MazdaSpeed iteration. Even if that's the case, and the standard model has 300HP, I'd be very interested.

Of course, this is all speculation for a model that's still a year away. I can only address what my dealer's GM told me.
    I'd be surprised (and a bit skeptical) of a 4-door convertible due to the lack of chassis rigidity. They would have to add several hundred pounds of reinforcement under the car and really screw up the dynamics. but that's just my unprofessional assessment. we'll see what the future really holds.

Based on the info I have from Mazda....short of a big change in the market, the coupe and convertable have been locked in for production. I have no doubt the 8 will get a Speed version but 300+hp is purely speculation and hopeful thinking.
  • ultradaveultradave Member Posts: 2
    Things are improving as I drive it. The last 3 tanks of gas yielded 15,16,and 19+ mpg with pretty much the same mix of driving (about 30% highway).

The interstate is being repaved here, and I am impressed with how the car drives on the grooved pavement left behind by the pavement eater (don't know what the real name for those machines is). There is more tire noise, but not much more harshness than my other car (Volvo wagon).

So far, no problems at all....car runs great, very responsive, and everything works fine. I love it. It does incite young guys in Trans Ams and Mustangs to try to drag race though :-) When I had picked up the car at the dealer, one of the other sales guys said as I was driving out "You look good in it. Drive carefully now. Oh, and, go dust a Mustang for me, will ya' " Well, I'm too old for that kind of foolishness. I just enjoy driving it and not having to slow down on exit ramps or curves (unless there is another car ahead of me) This car has amazing handling. It feels like it's glued to the road but it does it with so little fuss. Very, very smooth and predictable to drive.
    question... I'm still waiting on my father to get back so I can sign papers for a lease (hopefully saterday) anyways I wanted to know if the car called for regular or premium gas? I never thought to ask while I was on a test drive? could ya'll inform me as to what ya'll fill up with... also if I'm leasing a new one I was reading about these CPU updates for the RXs engine will I have to ask em about getting it done or do you think it will already have these things done? its an 04
  • the_big_hthe_big_h Member Posts: 1,583
    should be on the sticker on the side of the driver door. If the build date is before March 2004, it will need to have the ECU reflashed to the newest release (the "M" flash).
    what I mean is that if this is already sitting at the dealor lot... shouldn't they have already done it... or is it just dumb of me to possibly think that they would have thought ahead and I'm going to have to ask em to do it
  • theurerbradtheurerbrad Member Posts: 3
    A co-worker told me today she will be out in California sometime later this month and will get to drive a pre-production convertible RX8... she knows I have an RX8 and promises to at least give me her impressions of the convertible. I said I wanted pictures, but she's not sure she'll be allowed to take any. Apparently she knows someone who works at Mazda out there. I'll write more about what she thinks about the car when she gets back and tells me all about it. I'm in the DC area and like my current RX8 just fine, but it'll be interesting to see what they're doing with this new model.
  • pathstar1pathstar1 Member Posts: 1,015
    Well, all speculation aside, the RX-8 chassis is the basis for the new Miata, which is a convertable. That may be what the rumours are all about.
    don't assume anything when it comes to car dealers doing things that aren't necessary in order for them to sell a car, in this case the ECU reflash...

demand them that the reflash be done before delivery, and tell them to show you documentation that it has been done.
    It sounds like we've all heard different things for the '06 RX8 and what it might/might not be and what the performance parameters could be.

I guess the only thing to do is to wait and see.
    thank you I'll be sure to look for the date as well as make sure that the flash upgrades are all performed before I take delivery of the car... thanks for the advice
    as a matter of fact, here is a copy of the actual TSB that describes the M flash (courtesy of Finish Line Performance, also a Mazda dealer located here in northern VA :-) ):

http://www.finishlineperformance.com/rx8/docs/01-022-04.html
    qbrozen - thanks again...I found the tire info I was looking for at 'your' tirerack site...goodsite...the depth of info is great with all the feedback too!!

sorry for the delay in the response - I am prepareing for the storm (Boca Raton).....but it's been sunny all day today..hmmm......my big worry is possible flooding with Shima sitting out in a parking stall.....I will hope for a 'dry' storm!!
  • blacktalonblacktalon Member Posts: 203
    Could you ask your co-worker to inquire about the two-door RX-8 coupe as well?

Thanks!
    um... well I got to thinking about it... I actually do want to have leather in the car but don't want to pay for the extra packages just to have leather... anyone know of anyplace that would have install instructions as well as where I could purchase leather to put onto the seats... also I live in NE ohio any one know of any reputable shops that I could go and have them install leather in the car... also any clue as to what it might coast to have it put in after market.... thanks... we go tommorrow morning to go settle the deal for the RX*
    cheeze...please be safe. Hopefully, it will pass with no notable damage.

cjs...I would bet your dealer would be able to put in after market leather for you. I know mine offered to put aftermarket "2-tone" blue and black leather in mine to match the "winning blue" exterior color. If I'm not mistaken, the cost was somewhere around $1,000. I'm in the southwest corner of the state, totally opposite of you in Cincinnati. If you wanted to drive I could also put you in touch with an upholstery house that would do the work for you, too.
    alright well ... I guess its partly my fault for waiting but now I guess the insentives changed for the new month and the dealor I was going to has done a 180 turn and become exceptionally difficult to deal with... the lease price two days ago was 299 and I said is there anything you can do to get that to be 299 after or including tax ... he said yes... well I had to wait for my father and now the price is 339 and they won't budge on it... what should I do... I'm tired of the whole car shopping ordeal and cann't afford the extra 40 dollars + tax... the car I was looking at was a automatic with the sport package 04... could someone email me or put up on the board there lease prices they have and what lease terms ya'll have... I just wanna be able to print out some of the posts on here and take it in and say listen these dealors certainly did it so can you... or I'll just go to them... pleeaasssee... I'm so tired of this I just want to get the car... feel free to email me tooI'd really appriciate it
    This post comes from Shima!

As I sit here in my stall, the first big feeder bands of the hurricane have hit. I am covered with fallen leaves and I am sure my wax is all gone. The lot has yet to flood, not much rain, mostly wind, attacking me at the moment. Good thing the designers at Mazda made my body very aerodynamic, however, the leaves still stick. Very unbecoming. I am fortunate that the neighbors parked on either side of me to shield me from side attacks.

Oops, there went a tree. A 30 foot oak just fell over about 50 yards away.....and fell on a truck. Looks like a older Nissan. Poor thing.

Ok...I see my owner wants to go surf the weather channel. Slacker.

:-)

(thanks for you concern gguy - I will update after it blows by!!!!)
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    Since I didn't see any posts specifying the little blurb I saw in Car and Driver, I will go ahead and post what I have heard about a more powerful RX8.

Car and Driver stated that Mazda is currently working on a more powerful RX8 that will utilize a newly developed electrically assisted turbo. They chose this turbo over an exhaust driven turbo because it allows them to meet increasingly high emissions regulations. It was said that Mazda will unveil the turbo RX8 at the Tokyo auto show in 2005.

This sounds to me like the most plausible way Mazda can pull more power from the renesis.
    I saw that "blurb", too. They really are talking any numbers so far, though. I would think an electrically driven turbo would not only be preferable to an exhaust driven one, but I would also think it could spool up very quickly and minimize turbo lag.
    I've actually been looking forward to reading what the edmunds people had to say about the RX on there long term test but for the longest time its only been the introduction... did they just forget about the car and move on or did they just not post any updates to it yet?
    Edmunds is having too much fun driving to write and update.

I'm sure it'll be the same "nits" most pick....MPG isn't what they expected, the remote trunk release is hidden, etc.
    they *used* to do it every month, but now that they're a bigshot site with tons of sponsors, they no longer have the time to write up a monthly report for every car.

I think they ended up doing a 1 year final report on the Mazda6 after writing the initial introductory report...
    There is a Special Edition RX-8 for 2005 called the Shinka edition. There will be 2150 units produced from Nov-Feb. they start with a Grand Touring version, auto and stick.

The color will be Black Cherry with light parchment interior. (Miata color)

A couple chasis enhancements....
    -suspension cross member injected with foaming urethane to improve ride quality..
    -unique suspension tuning with thicker damper shaft.

There will be some cosmetic interior changes. like semi gloss bezels, chrome vent grill, chrome hvac dial, color stich on shift knob, leather console cover, etc...
    is pretty much a cruiser type edition RX-8, preferring ride quality over performance??
    Mazda didnt specifically mention that but I was thinking the same thing.
  • mrjjgittesmrjjgittes Member Posts: 156
    Anybody know what the 0-60 time on the RX8 with auto tranny is? Thanks
    mrjjgittes - as the most vocal AT RX8 owner here in this forum (at least i think I am!), I can assure you that the AT is not nearly as fast as the MT, however, it is pretty quick! And it handles just as well as the MT......I've yet to time myself, even roughly, but my guess would be, maybe low 8's? What do you think Pathstar, gguy, and audia8q? Sound good?.....if ya think about what an 80's mustang did, that's pretty fast...well, at least my 80's mustang...LOL.....<cough>crap<cough>.....

speaking of this, do those GPS/speedtimer thingys really work?.....
  • pathstar1pathstar1 Member Posts: 1,015
    I suspect what you're asking about is the "G-Tech". No GPS function, just uses an accellerometer, timer, and it senses the engine RPM from the power source. Seems to work ok, providing you are smooth. It's easy to confuse. I also use a GPS, and it's great for indicating exact speed, distance travelled, exact time, etc. I can't comment on the one offered in the "Nav." package, I use a Garmin GPS III+. I also have a Garmin Streetpilot III, but I don't like it much. Not half the unit the GPS III+ is.

As for 0-60, best to check out the magazine reports. I don't think they've played with an auto though.
    Cheeze...you're probably close on the times. I'd say somewhere in the high 7s...low 8s.

MT with the sport package is under 6 seconds 0-60 and high 13s to mid 14s for the qtr.

Of course, all this depends on the driver, whether you want to do a hi-rev launch, road conditions, etc.

Personally, I've got a 6.2 sec 0-60 with MT and a ~4.5K RPM launch.
  • ultradave1ultradave1 Member Posts: 3
    I've had my Nordic Green RX-8 w/ Touring package for about 6-7 weeks now and absolutely love it. Mine came with a spare tire kit, which takes up quite a bit of trunk space, and since it hangs from the overhead, it cuts into the already small trunk opening. I removed the tire and keep it in the garage. For local driving, there is the inflation kit and a local dealer only 10 miles away (for roadside assistance if a tire gets shredded somehow). For longer highway trips, I just bolt the tire back in place.

My gas mileage has gone up a bit, and on a recent trip back and forth to Boston, all on highways (plus some Boston city driving) I got about 21.5 mpg. This is without the M reflash yet. My car was built in Feb 04 and there is no sticker indicating it was done. Haven't been back to the dealer yet. I am getting 17-18 with about 50/50 highway and around town driving.

I've kept a close watch on the oil level. So far I'm up to about 5 tanks of gas and it hasn't used a drop yet that I can tell. Oil level is still about 2/3 between empty and full, same as the day I got the car.

The car gets attention on the road. I've had cars pull up next to me on the highway and match speed to take a good look, and people do double takes from the roadside. And the other day had a couple of sailors in an old Monte Carlo with slick tires and a jacked up rear end try to drag race me on a highway entrance ramp (2 lanes wide). Pretty funny. They raced - I didn't. They turned around and laughed and waved like they had won a major victory. Then we got to the curve in the ramp and I didn't even have to slow down. Needless to say, they ended up far behind :-)

First sports car I've owned in many years (about 20) and now I wonder what took me so long :-)
    Welcome to the RX8 hangout. Glad to hear you love your ride.

Last night, I went to the local Applebees to grab a beer and dinner. I came out and there were 3 people standing around my 8. They jumped back as I hit my "unlock" button. We talked for about 20 minutes about the car. Even after over a year of ownership, I still get the stares and "thumbs up" when driving, parking, gassing it up.
  • gfedchakgfedchak Member Posts: 37
    and made the big mistake of replacing it with a new Camry SE. The Camry is absolutely perfect, and, therefore, I hate it. It's boring.

I have three questions.

One is, is my reaction to an RX-8 likely to be better than it has been to the Toyota?

Two, what are the ramifications of getting the
    RX-8 with the base suspension and 16 inch tires, vs. the Sport Package with its sport suspension and 18 inchers (I need an automatic trans. Sorry!)?

And three, I live in lake effect snow country. The Prelude was fine with regular Blizzaks and with later LM-22 performance snow tires. What could I expect with similar tires on an RX-8?

This is a helpful and necessary forum, and thanks to all here........

=gregg=
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    The Camry is a great car but it drives like an old Buick compared to an RX-8. The difference will not only be noticeable, it should be startling.
  • mazda04rx8mazda04rx8 Member Posts: 37
    Hi Gregg,
    You will get positive comments driving your RX8.
    I have had three in the last 13 months and have enjoyed all the attention.

You absolutely need snow tires, I have purchased Blizzaks and am happy with the performance. The car is not driveable in snow with the summer tires. At least IMO. I have been driving for 30 plus years and have owned many cars, the RX8 was the most scary car I have ever driven on a combo of snow and Ice. The traction control basically shuts down the car. With the snows it works fine.
    I live in snowy NH so I can speak from experience.
    Why do you need an automatic? Manual transmissions give much better control while driving and it really doesn't take long to learn how to become proficient.
    Good luck on your choice. By the way they have excellent 24 month leases going on right now.
  • mazda04rx8mazda04rx8 Member Posts: 37
    I agree that you must have snows on the RX8.
    In this particular case I disagree that 50% of the driving is on the driver. Having driven many sports cars over the years successfully without winter tires. This car is virtually not driveable up a hill on snow and ice. TCS enable or not. The car shuts down and you just don't go.

With the snow tires no problem.
    I'm on Shifty's side here. The difference between a Camry (good for what it is...or even an Accord, for that matter) and an RX8 will be startling. How you'll feel about it compared to the Camry? Hopefully, if you like any sort of sporty driving at all, you'll be thrilled with it.

Also got to agree with winter driving. Yes, snow tires "should" be used with the RX8. But, I've driven big honkin' V8 powered RWD cars from the '70s with skinny bias ply tires that were half bald during winter weather. Winter driving has as much to do with driver awareness and experience as it does with the tires.

That said, winter driving tires are indeed better on the RX8 than the sport tires that come standard.
  • tomatnavytomatnavy Member Posts: 27
    The automatic transmission on the rx8 has poor performanace.Its only a 4-speed and a poor one at that.This car makes its power at high rpm--it needs many close ratio gears to achieve its best performance.If the rx8 had a 6 speed auto--it would be a much better car.As it is the 4 speed auto does not do it justice.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,417
    a former Prelude owner "himiler" wrote some great notes when he test drove an RX8 in an attempt to replace his beloved '01 Prelude. It might give you some extra insight. Go for the 6 speed with sport suspension:)

Snow tires are a must!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD