Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Mazda RX-8

Comments

• Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    cheeze....OMG....you may have to enter into the WI frozen tundra from your cozy FL home? If I were you, I'd take some rations with me, pack a tent and some sleeping bags, because it will be a trecherous journey...;-)

In all honesty, if you don't expect any snow, you won't have to do anything. In OH, the temps are dipping into the 50s and I'm driving just like I normally do. I would think weather would be similar in WI. Did the same last winter when we had some temps in the teens. NOthing special was done to drive the 8 in cold temps.

While I really can't "toot the horn" for my Bengals this year, we did beat the Dolphins.....;-)
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options
    Those TR7s were very nice pieces from the "brittish sports car" period. At least, if you could find one that didn't have those "guard rail" bumpers on them.

Quirky would be an understatement. I remember having to readjust the carbs almost weekly to keep my MG running right. Let's not even get into a discussion regarding "brittish" electrical systems and gremlins with those cars.
  • Options
    6_speed6_speed Member Posts: 37
    Apparently, Mazda's Australian motorsport is prototyping a single turbocharger for the RX8 bumping bhp by 125 and torque by 139!

More details here Click on the "Preview" tab, scroll down midway, look for "RX-8 Getting RX-treme".
  • Options
    ultradave1ultradave1 Member Posts: 3
    >Quirky would be an understatement. I remember >having to readjust the carbs almost weekly to keep >my MG running right. Let's not even get into a >discussion regarding "brittish" electrical systems >and gremlins with those cars.

Yeah, I had to rebalance the airflow in the twin carbs almost weekly. And you know you are in trouble when the electric system has only 5 fuses - a 50, 2-40s, and 2-20s, and they would blow routinely.....for no reason. You can imagine when you loose that 50 amp fuse you are dead in the water unless you carry spares. (I carried plenty at all times :-) ) One of my popup headlights started cycling twice when I flipped the headlight switch. The car winked at you! Couldn't figure it out - neither could the mechanic. After 2 months it went back to normal.

But I loved that car!!!! I also don't miss it :-)
  • Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,434
    Our nation's 50th state (which I just returned from my honeymoon) is definitely not one of richest, especially on some of the smaller islands of Maui and Kauai (Oahu where Honolulu seems to be doing OK) there was a suprising number of RX8s. I saw a lot more than I expected in Hawaii.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    the_big_hthe_big_h Member Posts: 1,583
    went to dealership, went test driving in the dealer demo car RX-8, so I was able to fully open up the car (read: REDLINE CITY BEEEEEEEP) on some twisty backroads. Probably went for a drive for about half an hour. Instead of just repeating what all of you RX-8 owners already know, I just want to say: you lucky #^&*@^*$&! that car is SO MUCH FUN to drive, especially when you really let 'er rip. my goodness. alas due to the poor trade dealer offered me on the Protege, I didn't buy yesterday, but it's gonna be really tough to top what I just experienced in an RX-8
  • Options
    lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    For those who have questioned whether rotary engines are any more complicated to maintain then a regular engine, I can provide some insight here. I'm one of only 2 people in this forum that can comment on older rotary engine reliability and ease of maintenance. I've owned 2 RX7s, a 1984 carbureated base model and my current ride, a 1990 RX7 convertible (fuel injected non-turbo rotary). Both have proven to be very reliable and have required no extra maintenance compared to a piston engine.

The 1984 model burned about a 1/4 quart of oil every month. I'm not sure of the mileage because the speedometer didn't work, but I'd guess the car easily had 120k or more. The car was driven daily in city traffic and never gave any problems. It only flooded one time and that was because I didn't know about rotary engine quirks at the time. As long as you let it warm up a little before driving off, it would run fine. A fire broke out right under the engine thanks to a long neglected oil leak and the little car still trucked along as if nothing ever happened. It was a little quirky to drive thanks to a carbureator that desperately needed to be rebuilt and an exhaust that had holes in it, but otherwise, it was as easy to own as any Honda. I still miss that sporty little RX7 and I'm always happy to hear from the current owner that it still runs.

My 1990 convertible is a real gem. It has 110,700 miles and runs great. It's rarely driven (only 1500 miles since February) and yet it doesn't smoke or burn oil. So far I haven't needed to add any oil to it but I do check it once a month. It always fires right up the first try and I've never encountered any flooding problems with it. I just stick with the rule of letting it run for 1 minute everytime it's started. Owning this 14 year old rotary has been no different then my 1 year old V6 powered Tiburon.

There are really only 2 things a rotary owner needs to worry about. The quality and level of oil and the coolant level (I highly recommend coolant changes every 2 years as well). Neglect those 2 things and engine failure could easily occur. Doing a quick check under the hood once a month is all the time that will be required. Just expect to do oil, coolant, and spark plug changes a bit more often then a piston engine (but no timing belt to change or valves to adjust).

There is nothing to fear in owning a rotary powered car. Unfortunately, the large number of reliability problems with the twin-turbo 92-96 Rx7s scared a lot of people into thinking these engines are problematic and require more care then people want to give. In reality, they are no different to me than a piston engine. Check fluids once a month and let the car run a minute each time you start it, and you should have a long troublefree ownership.
  • Options
    mazdax605mazdax605 Member Posts: 89
    I guess I am also qualified to talk about reliability in a rotary powered vehicle.I must be the other one huh?

All I have to say is drive the hell out of 'em,check the oil,never overheat it(change coolant),and do regular plug changes.

Chris
    83 RX-7 limited edition
    74 Rotary engine pickup(REPU)
    04 Nordic green base RX-8 6MT
    85 GSL-SE "parts car"
  • Options
    bigmike5bigmike5 Member Posts: 960
    Autoweek had a piece on the SEMA show in Vegas [always worth a look] and it also had an update by staff members of the 04 RX-8 they've had in their fleet since October. It had stickered for a paltry $41.5K which caught my eye. Guess it was tuned pretty good for $14K more than the normal model.
  • Options
    flatpickflatpick Member Posts: 43
    This is my second rotary....first '78 RX7 GS White...I got it my senior year at '86 The Citadel: The Military College of SC with approx. 85K miles on it...I had been driving a '73 Honda CVCC since 1980 and the RX7 was just awesome in comparison. Being 21 and fearless I drove the cacca out of it & chirp 1st -> 2nd 7 out of 10 times I shifted...I was just relentless and grinning like a Chesire Cat who ate the canary....about every 3rd weekend I'd drive it from Charleston to Rock Hill, SC...about 440 round trip...probably changed oil twice a year, flushed radiator once a year, red lined it often.....drove it for the next 2 years, put another 25K miles on it.....loved it..no problems..here I am 16 years later and 1 year into my '04 RX8 Loaded ownership, 11K miles, recall repairs to air bag, oil pan, temp knob, M Flash on PCM.....hit a deer in Sept...$1K damage: new bumper, ground effects..etc...looks, drives good as new so far...it's my everyday driver, ave 160 miles a week in it, ave 19 mpg after M Flash, 20 mpg hwy...happy with RX8...no major complaints with car...silver finish on my MT shift knob is coming off...ehh?...major brake dust...DTS is almost too good, I turn it off to kick the rear end out and have a little fun; otherwise, it shuts ya down...no flooding or starting issues...fun car fun car...

My main issue is with Mazda or my local Mazda dealerships web page which has a big ad for scheduling your service appointments..etc., yet they do not have RX8 listed in the drop down menu (jeeeez...its been out a year!!) and I've yet to get a response to any inquiry or appointment I've scheduled through the website.
    That's unacceptable for a top of the line model. I have learned that my local dealership replaced there service mgr and I will give them another chance. The only thing that would make this car more fun to drive is a big dose of low end torque. If ya want that buy a Mustang! If ya want cornering grins and screaming exits this is the car!
  • Options
    cheezeboycheezeboy Member Posts: 218
    ok...so I WAS gonna go on a long trip (Fl to WI) in my RX8...but, alas, it wasn't meant to be. Among other things (including work and what's left of a personal life!), the water pump on my RX8 leaked, which in turn, had to be replaced. But that's not why I am typing. I know things on cars break from time to time.....not a big deal...What IS a big deal is the rental car Mazda got for me - a Sebring! Oh My...I can't really believe that people buy these things....what a turd of a car....now, I know you might all be saying that maybe I got a poor, abused one off the lot...well, maybe, but my sister has one of these cars. I rode in it once and thought it was a turd then - but after driving one, it's official "turdness" now...why can't the Mazda dealers let you borrow a 3 or a Protege or something??....jeeze....I have no idea what one of these cars goes for, but if it's anywhere near my RX8's price, well, those owners got shafted!!....

...hmmm....maybe I've turned into one of those snobby car owner types....oh well, thanks for listening to me vent!

:-)
  • Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,434
    it will make you appreciate your RX8 that much more when you get it back. I love getting back into my Prelude after the oil's been changed and the car was aligned and I've been driving an '04 Civic or '01 Accord LX (not as bad a Sebring) as a loaner.

Consider yourself fortunate that your local Mazda dealership even gives away free loaner cars. Most luxury car makes offer loaner cars, but seldom do dealers from Japan Inc. Also be thankful they had one for you. My Parents have an '02 Audi A6. When they call up for a service appointment, it usually takes a month if they want a loaner car.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    wpavlik2wpavlik2 Member Posts: 32
    re:
    kid seats in the back....Don't quite know what to say, other than it would probably work. Having the back doors open will certainly make it easier than with a "normal" coupe.
    --reat seat room....I regularly haul a couple in my back seat. While we don't go for long trips, it works great for around town stuff

I'll have to agree as well. My baby seat (well, toddler seat) fits GREAT in my new RX-8(he he, that rhymes...)It is actually more secure in that car than the Mitsubishi Galant I replaced.

I just bought it this weekend, got a GREAT deal. Better than Edmunds "TMV" so I feel FANTASTIC about that.

I think Mazda doesn't need to do a "coupe" version of this car. Other than using a little more torque, this car is PERFECT!
  • Options
    Congrats and welcome to our "cozy little RX8 club".
  • Options
    This goes out to PathStar, but anyone can answer!

Living in Florida, I really don't have "hot vs cold" temps - on average it's pretty nice. So my question is why does my AT RX8 seem to pull/accelerate/launch quicker when the outside temp is around 70 degrees F than when it's 90 degrees F?....is this just an illusion?...or is there some sort of temp vs tranny fluid vs drive train ratio?.....

or have I been eating too many cheeze doodles?....

• Options
    mazdax605mazdax605 Member Posts: 89
    It could be just as simple as cooler air is more dense therefore you are getting more of it into the engine,and I am guesing it isn't as humid down in FL right now as it was before therefore you will be performing better.

A little know fact is that the gasoline companies change the formula for there products(even diesel)during the winter months.This may be only for the colder regions but I doubt it.I have always noticed more performance in all of my vehicles during cooler/cold weather.It is just a fact of life.Also I have always noticed worse fuel mileage in cold weather as well,another fact of life I guess.

Chris
    04 RX-8 base Nordic green
    74 REPU green factory AC
    83 RX-7 limited edition
    92 dodge ram turbo diesel
  • Options
    pathstar1pathstar1 Member Posts: 1,015
    is very noticable. It is mostly caused by the air getting thinner when it's hot (as explained above). The PCM (sometimes refered to as an ECU - the engine computer) can also add to the effect by taking protective measures.

On my 93 RX-7 cool temps. can actually take me into dangerous territory (too lean) when it's cold. When it's hot my car is just exciting. When it's cool my car is scary!

BTW, the PCM on an RX-8 is not just an engine computer. It runs the antilock system, the DSC, even sends digital signals to the dash indicator meter computer (which translates the digital signal to analogue to run the gauges). That's what makes the car so difficult to modify. The PCM is constantly checking each system to make sure they are all ok. If not it puts you into "limp mode". No power and the "get back to the dealer" light on. ;-)
  • Options
    nojetsnojets Member Posts: 31
    I am sure the power loss during hot weather is all about the hotter, thinner air. As a skydiver, I am used to seeing hot weather affect turbine aircraft engine performance significantly. I have noticed the difference in my manual RX8. It could be that a rotary engine is more prone to power loss in hot weather than a conventional reciprocating engine.
  • Options
    Cool!.....thanks for the explanation!!...it got 'cold' here tonight (68F) and she ran just fine...this brings me to a "Part 2" of my question then: am I noticing this now, only because I have a car that thin air effects the performance on? I don't remember ever having this issue on my '93 Sidekick! LOL!! (11 years ago!!..the memories)..and Pathstar, are you saying I should move to the great North to best enjoy my ride?? :-)

BTW, you folks here are the best! I've learned alot since joining this forum. Thanks Edmunds and all!
  • Options
    wpavlik2wpavlik2 Member Posts: 32
    I'm quite happy to be here!
    I'm starting to get used to the size change of the interior from my old Galant. (2001, which overall was a nice comfy car with pretty good power and ride)

How many miles are people getting on the factory tires? at a tread ware of 190, they are the gooiest tires I have ever had on a car.
  • Options
    It's not just rotary engines that are affected. Piston engines also loose power. I'm not sure why we notice it more with the RX's, perhaps because they are "sports cars", and we expect lots of performance at all times. I suspect most piston experience we share has been with "low performance" engines. They would tend to loose less power - say a 10% loss - so a 100 HP engine would loose 10 HP whereas a 250 HP engine would loose 25 HP - you can't really notice 10 HP "seat of the pants", but you can 25 HP.

Also, the rotary - especially the renesis - is a low torque engine. It relies on RPM and gearing to give "road torque" (what you feel and use). The loss from hot ambient air would be most noticable at low RPM due to the added heating of the air column by the engine parts. Once you get the RPM up the flow of air is fast enough that it doesn't heat up much more while flowing into the engine.

I do notice the loss in my 2001 Pathfinder. It's rare to get that hot here in the "Great White North", but when it does I notice the loss.
  • Options
    zitchzitch Member Posts: 55
    All internal combustion engines (piston and rotary) work on the concept of thermal expansion. When air is heated up, the molecules want to spread out even further. All engines work on the concept of stuffing air into a space, heating it up quickly, and letting the air push something as it tries to expand. You can see this concept at a slow end in your tires; in cold weather, your tire pressures will be lower than in hot weather if you don't add or remove air.

So in an engine, the larger the temperature change, the more of a push that results. How hot the air will get is pretty much a constant. So the power will increase the colder the intake air gets.

Now, the sweet point for most engines seems to be around 50-70 F with dry air. Hotter, and the temperature change in the ignition chamber will not be as dramatic and will result in a little less power. Colder, and the engine has to work harder to keep itself warm. Moisture has a detrimetal effect to engine power.

None of this is that dramatic though, as ya'll noticed.

This is also why most turbochargers and superchargers include an intercooler. When the turbocharger compresses the intake air, the air heats up. The intercooler then cools the compressed air down to the outside air temperature before sending it into the engine.

This lesson was brought to you by somebody that's bored at work (and doesn't have and wants an RX-8 himself...). ;)
  • Options
    5553543255535432 Member Posts: 150
    Hope you get bored more often, the lesson you relayed is very informative. Thanks a lot.
  • Options
    zitch - between you and Pathstar, I will be applying for my part-time job at the local Mazda service center!!....of course, they will stick me in the graphics dept! I do NOT hope you stay bored and I DO hope you get an RX8 soon...wonderful car...and every bored worker deserves one.....

now, not having ANY clue to how a turbo or intercooler works, why don't we have little 'Air Coolers' on the front side of our air intakes? Thus always cooling the air to the 50 degree F temp? Down here in FL everyone drives with their AC on so just add it to the engine first....?

other than the power loss, I am sure there is a good reason why not to do this.....

as always, thanks forum members for your info!
  • Options
    "why don't we have little 'Air Coolers' on the front side of our air intakes?"

The reason for the power loss is the air is thinner. To make it thicker you -could- cool it, or you could compress it and then bring it back to ambient with an intercooler - an intercooler is an air to air radiator - it uses ambient air to cool the air you heated up by compressing it. There are a few groups working on just this for the RX-8, Mazda being one.

Same general effect as the coolers you mention though much more of it, slightly different method. Requires a lot more care, as you can quickly get yourself into big trouble with air/fuel mixtures, too much compression, etc.

This also gets the car into territory it wasn't designed for - much more torque in the power train. We suspect the transmission will be in trouble - perhaps the reason there are new transmissions slated for the 2006 model year.
  • Options
    but I FINALLY got the car I've wanted for the last 2 years, an RX-8. It is a '04 base model with rotary accents, 6 cd changer, and soon-to-be-installed cassette player.

just want to officially say hi to everyone as an actual 8 owner, instead of just another onlooker :-D
  • Options
    PathStar - thanks, yet again...are you sure you don't want to move to South Florida and be my local mechanic??..... :-)

the big h - WhooooHoooo!!!...congrats!.....what color? put up some pic!
  • Options
    and color is starting to grow on me, a very stealthy yet nice looking color.

no pics yet because weather's been crappy today, When weather gets better I'll definitely take a pic!
  • Options
    big_h...we were all wondering when you were going to become an owner as opposed to a lurker...congrats.

Titanium is a very nice color. I originally ordered a red one with the titanium as my 2nd choice. Then the winning blue one came along and I decided on it. I would have been very pleased with the titanium color, too.

Now, go have some fun!
  • Options
    Be patient. This is the worst time for you - break-in. Learn the car while "driving slowly". Congrats!
  • Options
    audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    Has anyone seen the new pearl white for the RX8??? We got one in a few days ago and it is amazing. I'm not a huge white fan but it sure a winner on this car.
  • Options
    it is almost show-car quality paint, from far away it looks like flat white, but up close it SHIMMERS, very nice.
  • Options
    PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    every Tuesday we have have a chat based on a Mazda platform (although we do tend to wander to all kinds of subjects) where you can meet and greet your fellow forum members. Hope to see YOU there tonight!

PF Flyer
    Host
    Pickups & News & Views Message Boards

The MAZDA chat is on TONIGHT. Stop in for a holiday visit! Check out the schedule
  • Options
    Our beloved RX8 just made Car & Driver's top 10 list (again)!
  • Options
    Bad - it's 11pm....guess I missed the Mazda chat AGAIN.....

Good - Car & Driver love our zoom zoom!!...wheee!!

Question: just below the radio volume, on the right side of the center console (left of the glove box) is, what looks like, a plastic 'filler' plug of some sort. Is that an access to some sort of bolt or is where one could install a cool 7" touch screen mount for his/her snazzy car audio system?.....ah...um..if one were inclined to do something like that... ( http://www.mini-itx.com/projects/ice-unit/default.asp?page=4 )

• Options
    paul_in_dcpaul_in_dc Member Posts: 6
    Hi all - thanks for the comments and discussions here. They made me a little smarter before I bought my RX-8 last week.

2005, Titanium Gray, 6 speed, GT pkg, Nav system.

Who the heck said there wasn't enough power?!? It's certainly all I need (and I'm still taking it easy during break-in). A couple minor nits:

- The "auto-dimming" rear-view mirror takes some getting used to. I wish it dimmed more, or that the sensitivity could be adjusted. Plus it's too low; I wish it was an inch higher. Rearward visibility is poor for backing up.

- The heater is anemic compared to my old Toyota.

- The Nav system works great but the documentation sucks! I've spent a lot of time fiddling with it to figure out how to make it work. I think it will eventually be one of those things that you wonder how you lived without. :-)
  • Options
    Welcome to the club. I agree, those that say it doesn't have enough power haven't spent much seat time in an RX8. To get anything significantly faster, you're going to have to go to a pushrod V8 or a high buck Euro car.

I'm sure you'll continue to enjoy your RX8 as we have.
  • Options
    PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    After a bit of a software snafu last week, we'll try to get a harder count on how many of you are coming to the Philadelphia Auto Show on Feb 5th and 6th (that's the first weekend of the show) so we can figure out how many goodies we might need! So stop in at one of the chats this week and let us know!

PF Flyer

Host

Pickups & News & Views Message Boards

The MAZDA chat is on TONIGHT. Stop in for a holiday visit! Check out the schedule
  • Options
    This time, the Renesis engine repeats as a winner on Ward's Auto 10 Best Engines for 2005:

http://wardsauto.com/ar/auto_muscle_economy_ways/index.htm

congrats to Mazda and their flagship '4 door sportscar'!!
  • Options
    zoomzoom626zoomzoom626 Member Posts: 124
    I'm thinking to upgade my 626 with one of these two cars...Any guys here who had RX-7 and are driving RX-8 now?

How do these two compare?

Loking just at the numbers rx-8 looks more like a compromise between sport and practicality where rx-7 is all sport..
  • Options
    for 2 years, and have a RX-8 for just over a month now. I can tell you this, the RX-8 is a MUCH better day-to-day driver than the RX-7 was, which means compared to a no-compromise sports car like the 7 was (especially if you're talking about the 3rd gen 7's), it WILL feel soft and less sporty and feel 'compromised'.

so, you have to ask yourself, how much sport do you want in a car? what is the main purpose of the car? for pure sport, or for lots of sport plus a good amount of practicality?

after a month with the 8 I can say it is the PERFECT fit for me in what I want for a car, plenty of practicality with a whole bunch of sport thrown in :-D
  • Options
    slices17slices17 Member Posts: 35
    I can't believe this. My RX-8 is 15 months old and has 10500 miles on it. I wanted to drive it tonight but it wouldn't start! The engine cranked but it wouldn't catch.

Has anyone had the same problem? I had the same problem three years ago with my Miata. Turned out that the fuel pump was the problem. I wonder if it's the same thing
  • Options
    Yes I'm talking about 3rd generation of the car..People call it FD..I think it is the engine code...

Anybody?
  • Options
    Sounds like your 8 is flooded. Hold the accelerator pedal to the floor and crank the engine until it catches. Do this for 10 seconds at a time until it starts. That should clear our any excess fuel in the chamber. See owner's manual for more specific procedures on how to start a "flooded" engine.
  • Options
    do a google search on 'rx-8 forum', and ask there.

*hope you read this before mods remove this :p *
  • Options
    it'll be like comparing a RX-8 to a Mazda6, ok maybe a bit exaggerated, but you get my point, it's a BIG difference between the two.

do you have a FD? do you want that kind of pure sports performance? Aside from the Lotus Elise, there really isn't a pure sports car that's out today that's comparable to a FD (including the current Z car)
  • Options
    No I don't have FD...Right now I'm driving 2000 626 V6 5sp...It is fun car but...I drove FD on several occasion and loved its ferocious acceleration and handling..I also drove RX-8 once..I was bit disappointed with its power...

Either one I get will be my daily driver and I just need to get some pros/cons of one vs the other in every day life.

I was hoping that here I would find someone previous FD owners that can give me that kind of insight.

Thanks,

zoomzoom626
  • Options
    Not a very practical vehicle for this.

1. Any FD you get will be a 10 yr old car, even if "rebuilt". Remember, it's not just the engine that wears out. Suspension, transmission, diff., even the body will show its' age (cracks can develop around mount points for the power train and suspension).

2. If you live in an area that experiences winter, forget it. No ground clearance for snow.

3. Fairly high maintenance due to the high power extraced from the engine.

4. You will worry constantly about speed bumps, entrances to parking lots, etc. etc. and you will not want to leave it parked unattended.

Mine is hibernating in the garage now. I only drive it in "not winter". I take my SUV to movies, restaurants, malls, etc. not the RX-7. I use the 7 for mountain trips, car shows, etc.

The RX-8 seems dissapointing power wise, but it only lacks in torque. It handles at least as well as the 7. You reach similar speeds, but you don't realise you are going that fast as it sneaks up on you.

Plus' include:

1. Ability to carry more than two people. In comfort (I find the rear quite nice, and I'm 6 foot 220 lbs - not a small person).

2. Can be driven "normally", that is over speed bumps, etc. In comparison my 7 requires constant attention to road surface irregularities.

3. Can be parked without much worry - get good insurance and no worries - it can be replaced with a new vehicle with no problem.

4. Oh my, it has a trunk! What a concept!

5. It's really fun to drive. In the city you get to select up to 4 gears at any given speed. How much accelleration do you want - pick the gear and it's there.

6. The RX-8 is a "modern" car. LEDs illuminate the dash even without a key in the ignition. The computer (PCM) controls almost everything. The transmission is much better than the RX-7 one.

7. Safety is much better than the RX-7. Just ask someone who has made a mistake in the RX-8 or had a moron meet them on the road.

8. With proper tires, the car can be safely driven in snow. We use 17" Nokian WR mounted on AR aluminum spoked wheels - they look good and perform very well at moderate cost.

Minus':

1. Poor mileage, even compared to my RX-7, though in the city about equal.

2. It can be flooded, same as the RX-7. Easy to avoid - read elsewhere to find out how (or ask and I'll give some pointers).

3. The 18" tires/wheels are a little large. The car actually feels better on 17s. The 18s are also a little more expensive. For winter driving you will need different tires. Stock tires are summer performance tires.

4. Like the RX-7, the 8 attracts attention. Sometimes the wrong kind ("yes officer, I guess I was going a little fast").
  • Options
    Excellent "+" "-" review.

Interesting to note you like the 17" tires over the 18". I've yet to try such a swap. That said, I also don't drive my RX8 in the snow. I do, however, drive it in the winter, no matter what the temps and have had no problems with "startability" or driveability.

I've had my RX8 for nearly 1.5 years, now. Can't think of a better all around sports car for daily driving. As you note, people can actually ride in the back in relative comfort. I can fit two weeks of groceries in the trunk. MPG, while not sterling, is about what I'd expect with any high performance sports car.

I relayed an experience I had this past summer with my RX8. Was stopped for "exceeding the posted speed limit" by a goodly amount. The officer was more interested in talking about the RX8 than issuing me a citation. We ended up our chat with, "well Mr. Graphicguy, nice car. Just watch your speed from now on" and let me go....not even with a warning citation.