Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda RX-8

Comments

• dwynnedwynne Member Posts: 4,018
    You can get it for a lot of cars now - and for a ton of aftermarket stereos. All have the same complaint - too slow. The reason? The ipod serial interface for control. I don't think anything short of a redesign will fix that, and then all the interfaces would likely have to be redone. I love my ipod, but I don't use it much in the cars since I have XM and MP3 players so really don't care that much about the interface.

Dennis
  • mba2dnamba2dna Member Posts: 8
    it only equips with standard 6CD and MD player. Although I have raised such request when I ordered the car, this option is not available here. So, where can I get the original Bose system with 9 speakers, or any after market stereo that can fix into the dashboard?
  • mthmsimmthmsim Member Posts: 4
    Wondering. I read somewhere about a couple of possible mileage enhancing ideas. One was turning off the dynamic stability control/traction control. The other involved a spark plug upgrade of some kind. Any validity to either of these? It seems a shame for a car with so much going for it to only get 15-16, or less m.p.g.

Below are addresses to Ford webpage with sales info for May, June , July. The RX-8 sales numbers are wayyyyyy down from last year, and seemingly worsening as the year goes on. Seems like there could be many a good deal to be had if the trend continues. Yes? :confuse:

http://media.ford.com/newsroom/release_display.cfm?release=20943
    http://media.ford.com/newsroom/release_display.cfm?release=21106
    http://media.ford.com/newsroom/release_display.cfm?release=21316
  • slices17slices17 Member Posts: 35
    Hi,

I've heard stories about the Check Engine light coming on. Mine came on 4 nights ago when I was driving home. It stayed on for a few days. But then this morning when I started my car, it was off. Has anyone experienced the same? I wonder what caused the light to come on.

Ray
  • cheezeboycheezeboy Member Posts: 218
    Hi All!

Just wanted to say that my new set of Potenzas are fantastic! It really is a night and day difference from the old 30K mile Potenzas I had on. I love the grip of this tire. I was told to purchase another type, but I went with what came with the car - figured the makers of the RX8 knew what they were doing!

And again for anyone still trying to figure out what car to get - the RX8 is the best damn car I've owned! So much fun! My 13 year old godson told me that in 3 years I "should sell the car to him cheap."........HA! dream on little buddy!......

Now, everyone go enjoy your RX8 ride this weekend while I am stuck in a building working!!...LOL!
    I love the car, but as Car and Driver said in their long term wrap up "there is a reason other car companies don't make a rotary" ;)

Dennis
  • lhesslhess Member Posts: 379
    super-exclusive, is a gamble for car companies. Our Chrysler dealer here has only had about 5 Crossfires, they still have 3 and 2 of them are 2004's. They are niche cars just like the rx8. I think the key to it is not overproducing cars that the majority of people are not interested in. I simply think they produced way more rx8's than there was a viable market for and they have done a very small amount of poorly targeted marketing for the car. So be it. I love mine and the less of them on the road, the happier it makes me!!
  • giuliassgiuliass Member Posts: 4
    I think you've hit the nail.
    It was a ganble for Mazda, like new Cadillac/BMW/Mini and many other "different" cars were. Some were lucky and became standard (Cadi/BMW) and some didn't (PT Cruiser after initial boom, and Vibe/Matrix.) I think marketing isn't to be blamed but just the timing and the consumer...

oh well... I'm just a fanatic rotaryhead...

Nevertheless, I'm still wondering if I should apply for Ford after I get my MBA next year...
  • dadeckdadeck Member Posts: 2
    is always a "limited" market no matter how much you try to mainstream the cars. But, as has been said, I prefer that there aren't too many other 8's out there or mine wouldn't be snapping so many heads as it goes by...haha.
    wouldn't bother me at all to hear that 06 will wrap up the rx8 production. if they continue to make it, they are gonna "one up" us by offering a mazdaspeed version or something to keep it selling and our resale numbers will really plummet.

I think on top of being a sports "niche" car, the rx8 is also a "quirky" niche car what with the oil usage (that really scares some people), the low mpg numbers, the flooding issues...there are only so many people out there who will really want one.

I'm not knocking the car in any way. I love mine and, you're right, heads do snap when you go by!!
  • rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    "...and, you're right, heads do snap when you go by!!"

Maybe that's just you, lhess.... :)
  • wpavlik2wpavlik2 Member Posts: 32
    You are correct!
    I like that I don't see them all over the darn place like Camrys and Accords.
    It is a treat to see another 8 on the road.
    :D
    The only real trouble is - when (if) you go to sell your car. With so many on dealer lots at a deep discount and resale values in the toilet on the used ones that is when it will really hurt that more folks do not want them.

I like my 8 as well - but I got under 14mpg commuting on my last tank of gas. My new S2000 (with similar miles on it) got nearly 21mpg doing the same commute cycle. Premium was $2.509 this morning at it was $0.05 off premium Wednesday. Can you say ouch on the MPG? My M5 has 394hp and got 14-16mpg around town.

Anyway, still like the car but it is a good thing I don't put a lot of miles on it or the gas would really make me nuts :)

Dennis
    put less than 4K miles on mine since i purchased it in march 2005. If I had to drive it everyday, i'd be cryin' as well. the worst I have ever gotten on one tank was a little over 15 mpg and the best was 22. But, we are both driving cars that aren't truly broken in just yet. Even though i hated my last pontiac, I was amazed at the dramatic change in mpg after about 5K miles. Let's keep our fingers crossed. I could be happy with 17 or better.
  • wpavlik2wpavlik2 Member Posts: 32
    It took about 5k miles before I saw a real difference in gas milage. Lately, with running the AC all the time because it's been so darn hot, I've gotten 17.5 or so around town. 22 or so on the highway with AC on mostly. (I'll be glad when Fall gets here! I want to have my sunroof open again)

Oh, and I am running mostly 89 octane gas in my car, and I do run it up to the at least once a day to keep the carbon buildup down. about once a month, I'll run 93
    I see where crude hit $66 a barrel today, even higher than the last "record".

My wife was asking me why gas was so much higher this week when it takes weeks or months for the crude purchased today to get to the pump. "Greed by the oil companies" is the answer.

I think I will try a tank of regular or mid-grade in the 8 next fill up. If nothing else I will save at the pump, with more "gas" per gallon (but less octane boosting additive) it should return more MPGs. I am out of the S for a bit, it hit 97 or 98 yesterday and it is 99 or 100 today (depending on where you get the temp). So I am in the 8 with the AC on HIGH until further notice :surprise:

Dennis
  • secondcitysecondcity Member Posts: 28
    According to my local Mazda tech, Gas mileage on the 8 imroves after 9000 miles or so. Car and Drivers and I believe Road and Track's long term tests reported oil consumption decreasing after the 15,000/20,000 mile mark (approx). I noticed improvement in oil consumption and gas hoggging after my first oil change.
    Do I care? Not really- but I wanted to offer some hope for those that do.
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    new colors for 2006...

Phantom blue
    galaxy gray
    coppr red

deleted colors

titanium gray
    nordic green

new leather for Shinka pkg.

Auto trans will now be a 6 speed auto...
    HP increased to 212 with auto trans.

smart keyless system for Gran Touring pkg.

No other changes announced at this time. Production begins in October.
    thanks for the update and glad I didn't wait - don't like the Shinka color (funny, I DID like the leather color, which they changes), don't want an auto, and the "smart keyless" thing is just silly (if you are too lazy to insert a key and turn it then you should sell the car) :-)

So they have winning blue and phantom blue both?

Dennis
    that they would do the shinka for another model year? seems to lessen the exclusivity of it.
  • ramsesramses Member Posts: 8
    Hey I'm new to the madza family anyone know of a RX8 Club in Hawaii on the island of Oahu? I love my SHINKA especially the color (Black Cherry Mica). So anyone hit me up with any info.

Thanks,
    Ramses
  • masterchiefmasterchief Member Posts: 10
    Whered you get this info? I've been hunting around the internet and cant find zip on the 06's. I was going ot get an 05 8, but if they're gonna make and auto 6 spd and have phantom blue avaible I might hold off.
    lhess.....They only produced about half the number of Shinka's for 2005 than expected. When the fire happend back in December they stopped producing the Shinka for a few months. They had a good take rate of the Shinka so it made sense to bring it back fot 2006.

Masterchief....I get the stuff from Mazda, I'm a dealer. The 2006 RX-8's should show up in the US in Dec/Jan...This months allocation is the first for 2006 orders. 2005's are still shipping.
  • trispectrispec Member Posts: 305
    Hey, since you get the scoop directly, can we get any pointers on doing deals. For example, my local dealer's got, what appears to me to be a left over White RX-8 AT no pkg. I'm guessing someone ordered it because of the the color and then backed out. I can't see how White is a hot color for an RX-8 (maybe its the pearl stuff).

They're give the S-Plan pricing and the $1000 Mac. Is there a snowballs chance in hell that they will ever come down more than that? Or is there honor among dealers? I read somewhere that the S-Plan price is fairly hard and fast. Thanks.
    well for one thing it isnt a left over....they haven't even started building the 2006's yet. It won't be a leftover until Dec or Jan when the 2006 units arrive.....Don't misjudge the white pearl on the RX-8. It has been our second best selling color this year. Red has been the most popular for us...

I make it a habit not to comment on "is this a good deal" questions...To some folks a good deal is great service and to others a great deal is the lowest price to somebody else a good deal is a quick sale, etc....Only you can determine what is a good deal for you......If you don't like their price shop around and make and offers. All they can do is throw you out of the dealership..
    Hey AUDIA8Q so I heard they are not going to make the "SHINKA" model RX8 anymore is this true? Also I heard the only made 2,150 SHINKA's is this also correct?
    The Shinka returns for 2006. The Shinka gets new leather.....I don't have a total count, sorry. They didn't produce as many in 2005 as planned due to a problem at the factory.
    Thanks. It's really the rules of when to haggle, for how much and for how long that I'm after. Of course, maybe the whole concept of haggling is the problem.

I know trade-in negotiations needs to be separated entirely from the dealership. I know the financing needs to be separated as well. But I don't know how to get the correct price. By correct, I mean the correct market value for the local market. Maybe I should just walk away when the dealer gives me a price more than $2000 over what I think is correct. Here in Boston, you just don't see any white RX-8s. Black is definitely king in the city, then grey, green and red. But yellow and white are rare with white being the rarest. I've never seen one in two years at least in Boston.

Does making a split the difference offer ever work?
  • masterchiefmasterchief Member Posts: 10
    Hey, since you got the inside scoop, any word on mazdaspeed rx 8 hittin the US? And when is mazda gonna release official news on the 06 line up? My local dealorship said he was out of the brochures for the 06's, but I doubt the brochures are even avaible yet.
    So thought that the Shinka's are a special edition but if they come out with it next year then what makes it so special??
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Hope that everyone's been having a great summer! Now that we're getting past all that summer driving (1200 miles on this years vacation...LOL) it's time to get back into the swing of chat. Stop in to say Hello!

PF Flyer
    Host
    News & Views, Wagons, & Hybrid Vehicles

The Mazda Mania Chat is on tonight. The chat room opens at 8:45PM ET Hope to see YOU there! Check out the schedule
  • nikkonikko Member Posts: 3
    I was at 128 Mazda in Wakefield last night. They have about 25 RX8's and about 4 of them were white.
    Go to carsdirect.com and put in your ZIP code and see what price comes up. For the Atlanta area (for example) right now the 8 comes up $100 under invoice then less the $1k MAC rebate = $1,100 under invoice. Since you don't like or have experience haggling this would seem like a "no brainer" way for you to get a decent deal on a car.

If your local ZIP does not produce a good price, try putting in ZIPs a bit farther from home until you find a dealer willing to deal.

If you are thinking on an auto car - I would wait and get the better 06 auto. Also, get AT LEAST the sports pack on any 8 and for sure on an auto car. HID lights, DSC, fog lights plus better brakes, traction control, suspension upgrades on the auto cars.

Dennis
    So thought that the Shinka's are a special edition but if they come out with it next year then what makes it so special??

Nothing, really ;)

They used a standard color (available on a base Miata?) for the color - and it (to me) is not very attractive. It is pretty much a loaded up GT with a different color interior and paint job - for too much money. I had an 96 M Miata and the blue was (IIRC) exclusive to that car - it was also one of the few ways to get ABS and a manual transmission on a Miata at that time, but other than that nothing REALLY special about it. They usually change the exterior color every year so you can tell the specials from each other so it would be a surprise if the 06 Shinka is the same color as the 05.

Very few of the Mazda "special editions" have been very limited or special, just a package to try to move a few more cars.

Dennis
    Haggling question:

When they give me a price I don't like, do I just walk away for a few days or months and chance loosing the car, or do you haggle over some non existent car with no color or features, then later match up what ever agreed price with the closest matching car?
    They've already offered bellow the CarsDirect target price on the first e-mail offer. It just doesn't seem possible that the first offer without any face time would be a good market price.

What should I do next. The White RX-8 AT no pkg. looks good to me, but White seems a bit odd for the city of Boston since White shows every spec of dirt and crap.

I think I'll try waiting. I mentioned roughly $21K, and they offered $24K.
    ramses....The shinka has some features not found in the standard RX-8...Plus the ride is somewhat different. They made changes to the suspension that takes a bit of the harshness out of the ride. So it''s a little more than a badge and fancy floor mats...but it's not something super exclusive. Just something different.

masterchief....The RX-8Speed, if they do it, won't show up for 2+ years. The 6 speed comes this fall and the Speed3 is next summer/fall. OTOH, There is going to be a RX-8 Coupe and Convertible that should to show up for the 2007 model year.
    Normally you would pick the car you want first - the only time you would negotiate on a car they don't have is if you are ordering one or they are having to get it from another dealer. Taking one from the lot it generally the cheapest way to go. If they have a bunch already then they would not be inclined to order you a car AND give you a deep discount. They can swap for a car you like if they find one at another dealership, but it does cost to have the cars moved.

So you should pick out the car, find the invoice on that car (easy to do online), find out all the rebates and incentives (online) and make an offer that is reasonable.

Dennis
    See, you just proved you really DO NOT know how to deal for car. :) Good thing you came to the forums for help....

If you check online the invoice for a base AT w/pearl (extra charge) is $24,426 including destination charge. There is a $1k MAC financing rebate available.

If they offered you $24k and that did not include the rebate, then they are doing > $400 under invoice which is a good deal. If that price includes the rebate, then you do need to work on them some more.

Offering them $21k is just silly - they will have to pay Mazda $24,426 for the car (less any rebates) so they are not likely to sell you the car and lose > $3k on the deal.

You can wait - and they may sell the car to someone else. You can wait until Mazda puts more rebates and incentives to clear out the remaining cars. It got as high as $3,250 (varies by region) last year before the final $4k "get rid of them" money was given to dealers. If you wait long enough and they don't sell the car, you could eventually get it for $21k. It was around March of THIS year before the final discount was given, so you may have a LONG wait.

I put in a Boston ZIP and got $23,792 for an AT 8 w/pearl paint including the $1k rebate.

You REALLY want to pay the $1,700 extra for the sports pack, though. You get all this for the money:

Xenon Headlights, Dynamic Stability Control,Traction Control, Tochigi Fuji Limited Slip Differential, Tires: P225/45R18 Low Profile tires with 225mm width, 18.0" rim, Wheels: 18 in. x 8JJ Aluminum Alloy, Fog Lamps, Larger Brakes, Sport Tuned Suspension

Without this, you really don't have much of a car and the 16" rims with 55 series tires make it obvious that you have the stripper car :cry:

Dennis
  • llbeanjeepllbeanjeep Member Posts: 21
    Hey gang... back again. Gonna go test drive and get serious in the coming weeks, thought I'd ask the best for some answers first!

I am eligible for the S-plan pricing due to the company I work for. I understand this is competitive with invoice and non-negotiable? Plus any rebates/incentives?

Is the S-plan price for a 2005 RX8 with certain packages set by Mazda, or by individual dealerships? Are all dealerships required to participate? In other words, should I call around for S-plan prices, or are they all gonna be the same and I shouild focus on their inventory for what I want rather than the different prices?

Also, do I tell them immediately that I am eligible for this when I go to test drive, or wait until we begin discussing numbers? Will my S-plan eligibility affect how I am treated at the dealership? (Either better or worse).

Thanks so much! I'll keep ya updated. :)
    Most dealers participate in the S-plan.....It makes things very easy for the consumer and the dealer. Just go in and pick out the car you want.. Let them know you qualify for the S-plan (make sure you have your PIN number)....The S-plan price is printed right on the dealers invoice...if your going to finance you can save an additional $1000 with the Mazda credit rebate. It's a great deal and it makes things very easy for everyone.
    Yep, I knew I was at the right place. I think I'll wait and watch their car lot for a while. I still think White RX-8's in Boston metro are rare and may go the distance for hanging around on the longest. I may be wrong.

As for the Sports Pkg. NO QUESTION ABOUT IT, It's the best pkg. (I hate moon roofs in the other pkgs. anyway)

But:

1) I'm gonna drive this baby like an old man and my wife's gonna drive it like an old women with me in the back sleeping.

2) I'm probably never going to drive it in the snow because I'm driving my wife's front wheel drive, traction control car for her.

3) Having the 2006 six speed AT is going to bother me lot since the damn things, never gonna stop shifting gears.

4) I drive from Hyde Park, through the reservation, over through West Roxbury, down the back side of Jamaica way and up route 9 and on to Huntington Ave two to four times a day so I NEED, the softer NON-sports tuned suspension cause the damn streets are beaten to crap, especially the lower half of Huntington Ave with the trolley tracks in the street.

5) I really think I can get the 2005 for $21K eventually and that would be sweet enough reward right there.
    ...I really think I can get the 2005 for $21K eventually

Used 2004's are bringing more than that at dealer auctions....You might be waiting a long time.
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    4 months ago, when my much beloved '04 RX8 was rear-ended and totalled had a value put on it of $25K by the insurance company.

Getting a new '05 for $21K is pretty unrealistic.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
    We're talking the stripped base model RX-8 AT no pkgs. MSRP is $25.9K and standard S-Plan brings it to $23.8K. I'm just 3K away and last year there were $3K and $4K rebates at the end of the year.

Seems to me it's a matter of time vs demand for a stripped White RX-8 in the Boston market that hates white I think. If the car White RX-8 that I want makes it through 9/6 rebate period on the dealer lot I think I've got a chance. :)
    If last year is an indicator, then yes eventually you could get this car for $21k. If they continue to have unsold 8s on the lot they will put more money on them to move them. Once the new 06 models arrive then there will be more money on them to help them sell, but it was posted that they may be "late" this year (compared to other 06 models) so it may be the end of the year. The big money on the 04s didn't hit until about Feb or March of 2005 - so it might be 7-8 months until you could do $21k - if they don't sell the car to someone else.

Dennis
  • llbeanjeepllbeanjeep Member Posts: 21
    Here's another odd question for ya...

I'm aware of the Labor Day incentives ($1000 MAC cash), but is Columbus Day a big car sales holiday? Worth waiting for? Or is the Labor Day one the big one for car dealerships at end of summer? Do it now?

I picture Columbus Day being a good furniture sale... not sure about cars. :P

Thanks!
  • zoomzoomx8zoomzoomx8 Member Posts: 2
    How much do you think the stock 16" wheels cost for the '04 automatic RX-8 cost? I leased the car and with all the caked on brake dust, I may just want to replace them or get nice rims.
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    Unless you are a Mazda or Ford employee, I'd say X plan is about the best price to expect for any RX8.

I suppose you could wait.

BTW....Mazda isn't going to offer x plan AND those rebates. You get one or the other unless you are a Ford or Mazda employee. Those rebates last year were put in place because no "special pricing" (X plan) was in place like it is this year.

The dealer's have sold a ton of cars with the X plan price. As best I can tell, RX8s hit a certain end of year price for '04s (that $24K number sounds mighty close to it). Mazda gives whatever incentives they have to the dealer (in lieu of X plan) and let the dealer's fend for themselves to move remaining inventory.

We get some snow around the midwest, too. It still looks like the white color is popular. So is the Automatic base version, too.

I don't think any dealer will sell any RX8 under their cost. It's just bad business.

But, you can try. My guess is, 3 months from now you may be bemoaning the fact you didn't take advantage of the deals that are happening today.

As you say, 9/6 the X plan price goes away. The incentives that are running today are about as good as their going to get.

Another case in point, I know several people that wanted to buy a GTO. They felt that if they waited to get rebates on top of employee pricing they could strike a better deal. Well, don't you know, GM excluded the GTO from the "employee pricing for all" after the first month...no rebates either. Those folks now have to pay about $2K more to buy the same thing they could have had a month ago.

Many people wanted a Mustang GT. They've been bringing MSRP and above all year. Some said "wait until the end of the year....rebates will kick in". Well, Ford totally sold out of the '05 Mustang GTs. They didn't get the car they wanted and sat back watching Ford go through two price increases (3 counting the '06 price increase) and they still don't have a car.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
    I have the s-plan prices on the 8, and it is about $250 under invoice for the car and all the options are at invoice. I did better than this on my deal, but $250 under without any hassles or haggling is not a bad price - I don't think. The s-plan price is the same no matter the dealership - as long as they accept it - and given the slow 8 sales most places I would think most every dealer would accept it.

As was mentioned, the plan prices are on the invoice so no need to be secretive about it.

If you don't mind haggling and find a motivated dealer, you might save a little money bargaining down your own deal. Would it be worth the effort? For most folks, probably just easier and simpler to take the s-plan price and enjoy your new car.

Dennis