Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda RX-8

1656667686971»

Comments

• bullwinkle fanbullwinkle fan Member Posts: 19
    duke15
    I have a auto , how do I get a copy of the TSB ?
    Doug.
  • mklismklis Member Posts: 6
    hey guys

I live in MN and have been experiencing obnoxiously squeaky breaks for the past 9 months. I understand that breaks tend to be noisy up here when the weather gets so cold, but this is a squeak that doesn't seem to go away even after driving awhile and hard breaking. I have been assured that the break pads do not need to be replaced.

I've really been having issues with one of the Twin Cities dealerships with my breaks, and many other things (but I'll leave that for another day). first, towards the end of the summer, they told me that it was just moisture causing the squeaking due to the high humidity; in the winter they tell me it's the cold dry air that is the cause - they seem to be contradicting views, both of which don't make any sense to me (but I'm not an auto machanic).

any recommendations or thoughts?

also, if anyone here is in the Minneapolis area, please let me know if you've had good or bad experiences with any of the dealerships around here - after dealing with mine for over 2 years now, I'm getting fed up with it. I've really enjoyed this car but since it has been out of warranty there always seems to be something minor wrong with it.

Thanks
  • ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

• trispec2007trispec2007 Member Posts: 15
    My breaks stopped sqeeking, but I've got nearly 38K now. I need to change the pads now. It seems the breaks were squeeking at 30K. These breaks are suppose to squeek and when they stop squeeking it's probably time to change them.

There was some report about a shim to stop the sqeek that dealers could add but I never asked about it.

The breaks sqeek, the seat squeeks, there's a popcorn rattle in the exhaust, the gas millage sucks, the oil burn is 1 qt/1000 miles and there is water in my rear tail light.....but the car is sooooo fun to drive I could careless! I know that the rotary engine plus the design of the RX-8 keeps on giving a pure driving experience that would cost at least twice as much in any other car.
  • mdw1000mdw1000 Member Posts: 171
    A lot of performance pads squeak, especially when they are cold. I did get the different pads from mazda for the tsb, and now they only squeak when the weather is cold outside. However, I do think braking peformance has suffered slightly with the less squeaky pads.

Do some google searches for brake pad bedding-in procedures. Many people report that after doing that, their brakes don't squeal anymore. Haven't tried it myself yet, but a lot of pad manufacturers do seem to recommend it. I just don't think they recommend it it everyone because it requires you to do hard braking from higher speeds. I'm sure they are worried about liability issues.
    The RotaryEnthusiasts at EVOLV-Chicago would like to invite you to join a Chicago-area rotary car club. Our site is http://www.freewebs.com/evolvchicago/.

We are an informal club of rotary engine car enthusiasts. We have regular meets, etc, so come on out and join us! No specific car, etc is required to join. In fact, we don't even care if you have a car - anybody with an interest in this stuff is welcome to join. We just ask that everyone treat each other with respect.

Even if you aren't from the Chicago area, feel free to join us. We'd love to have you at a meet if you are passing through.
  • duke15duke15 Member Posts: 161
    Doug - sorry for the slow reply. All of the TSBs for RX-8 can be accessed at the following site for free: http://www.finishlineperformance.com/store/pages.php?pageid=11

Duke
    There is a TSB for the dealer to fix the water in your tail light
  • mklismklis Member Posts: 6
    I've just recently seen the list of TSB's for my car, and realize that my car could have some of those things worked on...for example, i just began having water in the tail light. i'm assuming i'd have to pay for the work if my car's out of warranty?
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Hope you can come out tonight to meet and greet some of your fellow CarSpace members!

The Mazda Club Chat is on tonight. The chat room opens at 8:45PM ET Hope to see YOU there! Check out the schedule
  • rotaryrotary Member Posts: 71
    For anyone having doubts about buying a RX-8, just test drive one, and then go test drive the competitors to it.

You'll find that the RX-8 can keep pace with anything in its price class, will out handle cars costing 20k more (yes, I'm speaking Porsche Boxter and Cayman class cars), and more practical and comfortable as a daily driver than just about anything else that can properly be called a 'sports car.'

As for the horror stories about engine failures, they're relatively rare as a % of all models sold, are pretty much confined to the first model year of production, and happen most often in scorching hot temperature climates such as Nevada and Arizona with THE AUTOMATIC transmission (which only has one oil cooler, rather than the two that the manual has).

So, unless you're looking at an '04 model year automatic transmission model, driven in stop and go traffic in a very hot state, you have very little to worry about (even then, statistically, you have little to worry about).

My RX-8 has been rock solid and trouble free for 54,000 wonderful miles. The engine actually gets stronger with age. Just make sure to check the oil at least once a month. You will absolutely love the symphony the motor produces as you wind through all 6 gears - make sure you redline it all the way to 9,500 rpm - the rotary motor LOVES IT and THRIVES ON IT!!!

You will also be AMAZED at the handling. Make sure to spring for a model with Electronic Stability Control - the car is so forgiving at the limit that it will make a novice drive look like a pro in every apex.

If you do buy one, please, please, please, buy a manual, which has more power than the automatic, and do not brag to loudly about your car or let others drive it, lest the best value sports car on the market today becomes too popular, and ruins the party for those of us planning on buying what another. ;)

By the way, the RX-8 has Porsche like handling and a perfect 50/50 weight distribution because its chief engineer worked for Porsche before his stint at Mazda.
  • plektoplekto Member Posts: 3,738
    I second this. A few things though:

1: The rear seats are fine for kids and such. It's a 2+2 sedan, really. They just did the suicide rear door thing and decided to fake it being a coupe. But consider that it's a LOT more friendly in the rear than a 3 series or C class, let alone a Porsche(midgets in the rear, MAYBE?). It's a fine family car as long as you don't need a middle rear seat.(most of families don't)

2: The engine is basically a giant motorcycle engine in how you drive it. So there's no lugging it off the line like a V8. Wind it up, flog it with abandon, and watch the car come alive(the rev limiter will keep it from hurting itself, so feel free to bounce off of it). It has a silly light flywheel as well with the manual transmission, so it revs like a sport bike as well.

3: It's only .1 seconds slower than a Cayman and only 1mph slower in handling tests as well. Nothing else comes close for under $35-40K other than a WRX or a S2000. That you can get one for $25K or so after rebates ... amazing, really. True, a 3 series is nicer and faster, but the second you hit a set of curves, everything that isn't a Porsche or a roadster is far, far behind.

4: The car does burn oil. Remember 2-strokes? They burned oil to run. This is essentially a 3-stroke engine and as such uses a tiny amount of oil to lubricate the inner seals as it runs. So you need to add some oil every month or two as normal upkeep. This is not a defect - it's just a different engine, just like how the old Corvairs has a turbine engine or how a Prius has a hybrid design. The problem came from people driving it like a 4-stroke engine and never adding oil for 5-6 months at a time. Then whining that the car had a defect. Well, low oil tends to ruin any engine quickly...

5: Few people have them. As such, they are real "sleepers". A Cayman or Boxster is a cop magnet and people love to steal them. The RX-8 is none of that. It's all the function and none of the ego or bling. (I think it looks fantastic, but it isn't about appearing to be stupidly wealthy)

6: Also avoid the black leather. It's hot and it makes it feel more cramped inside. The tan leather gives the car a much more open feel(blue and tan is a nice combo as well, IMO, as is white and tan)

7:It gets good gas mileage considering that it's a true sports car like a Porsche or a 350Z or Mustang or... It's no Civic, but then again, no Civic could hope to keep up with it, either.

http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/displayPage.action?pageParameter=daytona24&vehic- leCode=RX8
    It's no slouch in terms of reliability or speed.

***quote***
    The SpeedSource Mazda team beat the runner-up Porsche by over five laps. The win was Mazda's 22nd class win at the race, ending Porsche's lengthy winning streak at the biggest 24-hour race in America. In its wake, the champion SpeedSource number 70 RX-8 left behind over two dozen Porsche 911 GT-3s, a handful of Pontiacs, a pair of Ferrari 430 Challenges, a Corvette and a BMW M6. Although fierce attempts were made, including a total of 55 lead changes among 10 cars in the class, no one managed to pass the RX-8 for the final 185 laps.
    The thing's no joke. And what they ran was nearly a stock engine with manual as the engine can't really be pushed to more HP without a major redesign. Sure, they upgraded other things, added a roll cage and rear wing and so on, but the engine is pretty much what you get in one that you buy.
    Doesn't Speedsource run a 3-rotor?
  • yellowrx8yellowrx8 Member Posts: 18
    Have had this complaint to the dealer since I had service at 27,000. Had the 30,000 service done. Oil changes at 33,000 and 36,000 with the same complaint. At 36,000 was told they had a tsb that will likely fix it. Nope. Took it back 3 days later, and they tried new plugs (leading and trailing) and new coils. Still has not helped. No plugs were fouled at all. It is a 2004 auto.

Since the last service, I can be stopped and put the pedal to the floor, and it will just accelerate as if I was doing a nice, smooth "little" acceleration. Does the same in either auto or the manual shifting mode. Anyone have any ideas?
    Took it to the dealer today and had the RX8 technician drive with me. He said there is a signifcant loss of power from a stop in first gear. Wants to give a compression test to it....did say the engine might need to be replaced. He said the 2004 4 speeds autos have less acceleration power than the newer 6 speed autos. But this was a real dog compared to others 4 speed autos. Will keep you posted.....

Also, any tech out there for Mazda...what is the chance if they have to replace the engine that they put a 6 speed auto in rather than a 4? Is that even possible or does alot of other "stuff" have to change on the vehicle as well (just asking, I am not an "auto knowledgable person".
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    They will not swap your 4spd with a 6spd. they may fix your existing issues but they aren't going to retrofit the car to another build.
    If it's an automatic, it might be that the parts controlling the torque converter are bad and it is permanently engaged/locked up.
    If you haven't heard, ALL 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 RX-8s now have a 8 year/100,000 mile warranty on the Rotary Engine (housing and core), whether bought new or used, or in the U.S. of Canada.

Mazda steps up to the plate and shows customer support once again. If you paid for past repairs that PREVIOUSLY out of warranty, you will be reimbursed for covered claims.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/mazda-to-extend-warranty-on-rx-8-engines.html

Kudos, Mazda! :D
    Went down that path with a 6-spd auto. I ended up needing a new engine. Hopefully whatever the outcome, you'll be happy.
  • trispec2007trispec2007 Member Posts: 15
    What's you driving environment like, lots of stop and go or lots of highway? Do you stay in manual mode mostly or full auto. What part of the country? Do you take lots of trips in the summer heat? Do you rev past 5000RPM in first on a regular basis?
    Mix of highway and city. I would say most likely I have it in auto mode, but I put it manual mode here and there. Most likely I do this when getting onto the highway. I am located in Wisconsin, and do not take alot of long trips in heat. The longest in summer would be about 1-1.5 hours on the highway. When I do enter the highway in manual mode, I will get to the 7,000RPM level in 1st and close to it in second. I have done that in the city as well with manaul mode where I will run it higher RPM's
    '04 model year with an auto tranny in hot climates is where compression problems are most prevalent w/8s.

Auto transmission models have only one oil cooler which is not enough. Rotary produces lots of heat. It's inherent to the design.

Manual models have dual oil coolers, and this helps keep things tame under the hood in hot climate, stop and go driving.

At any rate, the 100,000 mile/8 Year Warranty offered by Mazda on all 2004-2008 RX-8s, whether bought new or used, and even reimbursing owners for core/housing problems when they were formerly out of warranty is a class act.

One other thing, the new Renesis has a third fuel metering pump, whereas the last gen only had two.

I love Mazda for keeping the rotary alive and well. It is unique, and while it has some negative aspects such as low torque and poor fuel economy (although I just broke 22 mpg on mixed driving for the first time, which isn't terrible for sports car), it has redeeming qualities in spades - especially that 9,500 redline that just makes beautiful music, while helping to keep the weight way, way down.

My 8's handling is nothing short of amazing. And the braking is phenomenal too.

I love this car more each year.
    Got a call from the dealer today. After compression tests and other tests sent to Mazda, Mazda will replace the engine. At least they stand behind their product. Will keep you posted on what it is like when I get it back...

Question - how does the warranty now work on the new engine? Does the warranty start over for the engine only? Or does it continue from where I am now?
    I'm not sure. Ask you service rep.

Sorry.
  • mugster06mugster06 Member Posts: 2
    So here is my question a/o comment.

Wake up last Saturday to find my 2004 M GT wont start, click click.
    I go to work and on my wa home, as my roadside assist has expired look for a Tow truck. Cut to the chase, i get hom give it another try and ..... yes it works, no problems for a week.
    So here is my question .. Anyone ... anyone have the same situation>

PS
    Afraid to take it anywhere :(
  • tlucas7tlucas7 Member Posts: 1
    I'm thinking of purchasing a used '04 rx8!! I test drove it and fell in love with the car. It's at a dealer, but I spoke with the previous owner and the engine has already been replaced in this car.. So I guess what I was wondering is did you find out how the warranty works on the new engine? I'm a college student and a part time worker when school is in session.. Sooo I can't afford to buy this car and then have to pay to replace the engine also..

Any answers, comments, suggestions, etc... are appreciated. :)
    The engines are fine. You just have to check the oil every time you fill the gas, since it burns oil as part of the design.(sort of similar to a 2-stroke engine in that way).

The new one coming out this fall, though, has a much better and larger oil system, plus better styling(IMO) - it looks meaner and more aggressive. And I suspect they tweaked it just enough to get that .1 second difference between it and the Cayman sorted out.
    Not all engines are OK. I just had mine replaced, '04 AT. As said, make sure you check the oil levels. Read this board and review what some very knowledgable people have to say. I do not consider myslef to be that, just a normal owner.

When it was replaced, the delear said the engine will remain under warranty, either for the balance of the warranty or 1 year which ever is longer. (not sure if that is true, but from the dealer). But mazda has recently come out to extend the warranty on the rx-8 engine to 8yrs 100,000 miles. I think it does not matter if you are buying it used....but make sure to ask.
  • hebrewhammerhebrewhammer Member Posts: 34
    The problem, for the most part, is model year '04, especially with the automatic.

The automatic only has one oil cooler. The manual has two oil coolers.

Most of the problems with the Renesis have been overwhelmingly automatics, and a good chunk of those have been the first year of production.

The new 8 year/100,000 mile warranty Mazda has issued, which transfers to second and third buyers, should provide peace of mind.
  • rncrnc Member Posts: 1
    Check wire harness connectors under airbox, if moisture or coolant drip on it you will lose P/S. yellow steering wheel will appear on Dash.

You can also disconnect Battery poles for 5 min and reset CPU.
  • mjamesonmjameson Member Posts: 6
    The 8 year/100k mile warranty is transferable to all subsequent owners, which is huge.
  • vkatvkat Member Posts: 3
    I got my cpu updated about 1-2 months ago and my 8 is using 1/2 the oil it did before ... i asked the dealer what they changed in the update and he said mazda will not tell them ???? i know from my old rx7 if your engine dosent use oil expect a new one soon.

any insight? :confuse:
    Mine was never more than 1/4 of a quart down in-between oil changes, so I never had to add any oil. That was evidently a bad sign as the engine went at less than 20K miles.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Tuesday means Mazda chat night! Mazda ownership is not a requirement! :) Just bring yourself and your love of cars and the desire to discuss anything and everything automotive and you're good to go!

The chat opens at 8:45 pm ET and runs until 10 pm ET. I hope you're able to join us tonight to meet and greet with your fellow CarSpace members!
    See you there!
  • mugster06mugster06 Member Posts: 2
    Ive been reading the messenges on the loss of power steering because mine just happened. Drove it home from work like i usually do, put it in the garage for the night. Next morning the lights on and no power to the steering. let it run, so i wouldnt flood it. took the train in that day came home thinking it would be fixed ( by elves) and nothing, light still on and no power. Now this is when it gets good. Brough it into Mazda, and they could figure out why it wasnt working. They talked to Mazda Canada, they sugested a new wire harness? anyway changed it and now the computer is giving it another problem or not. Still no power to the steering. Day 4 without the car. Now they are going to take out a power steerign unit out of another car, they know works and try that. ?????
    who built this car ? i would think in this day and age that its should be quite simple to figure out a simple problem like a motor that helps you steer. As you can tell i dont work on cars nor no much about it .

Can anyone let me know if this problem is becoming more popular ? and if anyone knows for sure how or if this can be fixed?
  • secondcitysecondcity Member Posts: 28
    its been fun. I enjoyed the zoom. I just traded in my pearl white 2005 rx8 for a 2008 335i sedan with sport premium packages. I put on 32,050 fun miles over 4 years. I got a crappy trade in offer, but at least my Bavarian friends backed off their ridiculous price. No comparison when regarding the BMW's 300+pds torque and horsepower. The car is scary fast.
    However, the rx8 was still a blast. I never had a serious issue. The only money I put into it were the winter tires and the 9 or ten oil changes. i had the squeaky brake pads replaced for free after 7000 miles.
    It handled like a true sports car. With the winter tires on, i never had an issue with snow. I liked checking the oil frequently, it made me feel like i was more involved with the car's upkeep. I never minded letting it warm up to avoid flooding and then revving it like i just stole it. The car was peppy and quick and i loved the look with the appearance package with side skirts and spoiler. The look of it reminded me of a mini viper . I wished Mazda added more torque and HP, but it didn't bother me too much when I was able to hug curves and corner better than 95% of the cars out there. THe car had its quirks, but it never bothered me. This was a great forum to keep me updated and I wish all of you a trouble free experience like I had. Ride on. ;)
  • secondcitysecondcity Member Posts: 28
    Regarding my last post, i did have one issue that regarded the engine recall/failed vacuum test, but Mazda dealer handled it professionally, replaced the engine and the car ran just as great after i got it back 4 days later. Any issue I had, they took care of it and at least they stepped up and handled it properly. the extended warranty provided piece of mind. Again--nothing but good times with the car. As i said before, This forum was very helpful when i needed answers about anything related to the 8.
  • BabyGrl2UBabyGrl2U Member Posts: 3
    Hey tomnavy, do you own an RX8? If so, what year? Can you give me any advice if I'm looking to buy a 2004 RX8? ~~~ Thanx! :)
  • darkpathdarkpath Member Posts: 4
    Assuming it isn't under an extended warranty, the first thing I'd recommend is making sure that all TSBs and recall work has been done (especially the bigger battery, hotter spark plugs and stronger starter motor). When purchasing a used car, I generally assume that the fluids were not changed when they were supposed to, so I immediately have them all changed. This is particularly important with any car with a rotary, because the quality of the engine's oil makes or breaks it. Approximately 30-40% of the engine's cooling is done by the oil, so thermal breakdown is quite common and Mazda recommends what I regard as a completely unrealistic 7500 mile oil change interval. If you're sticking with the US-recommended 5W-20, then I strongly advise you to keep that to 3000 miles as I have done. I would also recommend that you have a compression test done on any RX-8 you're considering. A small number have had issues and you want to make sure you don't get a bad one. The two things you want to make sure of are:
    1. always let the engine warm all the way up (yes, ALWAYS!)
    2. be care to not let the engine overheat

If you live in an area that gets particularly hot in the Summer, consider installing an oil temp gauge and take whatever steps are needed to keep the oil temperature below 250F.

If you live in an area that gets particularly cold in Winter, be very careful to make sure the engine reaches full operating temperature. If in doubt, use the cold shut down procedure of holding the engine revs at 3000 for 10 seconds before shutting the engine down. This will make sure that the oil film inside the engine is not excessively diluted by fuel, causing a temporary reduction of compression and very hard starting.
  • BabyGrl2UBabyGrl2U Member Posts: 3
    Thanx! I'll keep all that in mind. I think my best bet might also be to take it to a reliable mechanic and have them do a compression test and just check the car out completely. Thanx so much for the advice. :)
  • tomb10tomb10 Member Posts: 4
    I would like to add a few comments to darkpath's reply.The 2004 rx8 is probably best with a manual transmission--there seem to be some problems with the 4-speed automatic in the early years. Also the rx8 needs to be monitored more closely than most other cars. The battery provided with the rx8 in 2004 was very weak. If you happen to flood the engine[which probably will happen sometime],then the battery life and starting capability will weaken.The stronger battery is a must.The starter is probably fine.I had a 1986 rx7 for 15 years--went thru many batterys starting a flooded engine but never had to replace the starter in 200,000 miles.Remember this 2004 engine has a warranty period of 7 years.So any major engine problems should be taken care of by Mazda.And yes make sure all the latest computer updates are taken care of. These should be provided free by mazda.
  • threesixtthreesixt Member Posts: 8
    Looking at picking up a Blue 05 RX-8 GT 6MT with Nav, Appearance Package, and 19K miles from a private dealership. Have it listed for $14k on the internet. I started at $12K and got them down to $13.3...won't go any lower. KBB says retail value is $19K+ and PP value is as follows:

Excellent -$17,400
    Good - $16,600
    Fair - $15,550

Edmunds TMV says:

Dealer Retail - $17,300
    Private Party - $15,900
    Trade In - $14,344

Seems like a good deal to me. Thoughts?
  • glen13glen13 Member Posts: 3
    Can anyone can recommend a mechanic in Austin?
    Some details appreciated. Trying to avoid dealers.
  • ccd1ccd1 Member Posts: 140
    Did anyone notice the review of the Infiniti G37 Sport 6M? At the end of the review, the so called alternatives to the Infiniti were listed. Edmunds listed the 370Z which should not have been given since it lacks a back seat and omitted the RX-8. What's up with that???
    The RX8 is not a muscle car. It sort of if you squeeze your eyes a bit looks like the others, but it's really a 4 door sport sedan that should be compared to an A4 or IS350 or similar.

You wouldn't call an typical extended cab pickup a 2 door vehicle just because the rear doors open backwards would you? No, it's got 4 doors. The RX8 is just using sucide type rear doors as an optical illusion to look like a coupe. A nice trick, if I do say so, but it's not a real coupe.

And it's not the same as a G37. It's actually about spec of spec equal on the track to a base Cayman/Boxster. But nobody compares the two...
    The RX-8 sits on a desert island, so different from everything else on the market that it gets forgotten. I totally agree that the RX-8 is not a muscle car, but neither is the 370Z. Maybe the Edmunds should have left both off the list of alternatives
    I also agree that the RX-8 is probably most closely matched to the base Cayman or perhaps can be thought of as a Lotus Elise that you could actually live with on a daily commute. Both cars cost FAR more than the RX-8, even in top of the line R3 trim. I'm thinking about the car for myself, but cannot bring myself to purchase it new since first year depreciation is in the $7-8k range. But a year old RX-8 with low miles would be tempting.
  • mauemanmaueman Member Posts: 1
    HI all
    I have a 13b motor that has been bridge ported, it's HOT, LOUD and does not like city traffic.... Will a RX8 motor (Man Tran) have all the same motor mounts and bolt to the TX?
    I just want to do a simple swap.... Any thoughts???
    Thanks bunches
  • hungrystomachhungrystomach Member Posts: 1
    My question is for those rx-8 owners who had their engines replaced under the mazda extended warranty. Did you have to pay for anything out of your pocket? what kind of warranty is provided on the new replaced engines?