Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Saab 9-3 Sedan

Comments

• ambullambull Member Posts: 255
    Logic1, I must have missed something - where are you finding '03 Saab 9-3 interior dimensions?
  • soulpolesoulpole Member Posts: 3
    four doors with AT. I test drove a 99 Passat 4, with an AT and the turbo lag off the start was deplorable. It was alright after that but the start off was unacceptable in Atlanta traffic. What can you guys tell me about the 9-3 base in regard to this?
  • logic1logic1 Member Posts: 2,433
    Ambul:

The Image Gallery portion of the link you posted earlier has a schemata with the new 9-3 dimensions in metric. If you go to the British Saab cite they have a similar metric schemata for the current 9-5. The new 9-3 will not be as big as the current 9-5 but is closer than the old 9-3.
    I like the current model 9-3, but could never get used to the torque steer. The forthcoming 9-3 reportedly has licked this problem, thus my renewed interest in the Saab.
  • soulpolesoulpole Member Posts: 3
    could you elaborate on the torque steer?
    Sure -- with the caveat that I am not an engineer and have some difficulty explaining my experiences with mechanical things.

Current model 9-3s are light, but relatively powerful fwd cars. The rods which transmit the power from a FWD car engine to the front tires are not the same length (in most if not all fwd cars). This creates torque steer, a phenomena where the front pulls to the side of the shorter power outtake rod on acceleration. This tendency is exagerated in the current 9-3 owing to the fact that it is a light but high powered car.

This is not meant to be a complaint, per se, about the car. In fact, many Saab owners actually like the way the phenomena. I learned to drive on a rwd car and prefer oversteer (the back end sliding out in corners) to understeer.

Understeer can be modified to some extent. Supposedly the new design 9-3 will have far less than the current model.
  • dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    My old 3.1L Cavalier had a lot of torque steer, I know exactly what you mean and I didn't care for it either. Newer FWD cars with a lot of HP seem to generally have this problem solved.
    Yes. While the Dot-Com bust turned many off to computer technology, the real technology boom is finally starting to help improve things we use every day.

And I imagine the Cavalier with GM's larger engine must have had a lot of torque steer. Can't wait to see what Chevrolet does with the Delta platform.
  • bigdaddycoatsbigdaddycoats Member Posts: 1,058
    Saab claims that they have virtually eliminated torque steer on the new 9-3 by lowering the steering rack. Sweet if it works. So, the new 9-3 weighs about the same as the model it replaces, yet the new engines seem less powerful than the old ones? So how will performance be? Saab claims that the performance will be as good as before.

The 9-3 will have ESP, EBD, CBC, and TCS. The new Vectra GTS will also have these chassis systems. I wonder if the new Malibu will?

There is a "Linear Launch Packag" that includes "lower body color matching trim". Is the lower trim standard? If it is not body color is it black?

Give me your thoughts and as I said before, I can't wait to drive one.
  • wishnhigh1wishnhigh1 Member Posts: 363
    Yeah, but I want a viggen model with some nasty torque steer. Not everybody likes lemming cars, and for years, SAAB has catered to those people.

Not anymore:(
  • beachnutbeachnut Member Posts: 291
    What on earth are you talking about? If Saab is a lemming, then tell me who they're following. Perhaps you're referring to the post-General Saab. While I'll admit that I was less than impressed when the first 900/9-3 replacement arrived, imo Saab is still Saab - to drive one is to love one :)
    the lemming lovers have been praising the new pictures of the 9-3 replacement, which only comes in sedan form, and supposedly has gotten rid of torque steer...making it more and more of a lemming car.

SAAB is one of my favorite manufacturers, and I would hate to say that they were one of my favorites. The 9-3 replacement is moving me towards saying that.
  • bretfrazbretfraz Member Posts: 2,021
    Can't say how I know this but in the fairly near future you will see Saab partnered with Cadillac and Alfa Romeo. Three brands sold under one roof.

I'm sure independent dealers will be around but it's my understanding GM wants to see these 3 brands sold together.
    I think you are talking about Europe. In the US there has been some talk about coupling SAAB and Saturn dealers, but GM has made no moves to do so. In any event, it would be ultimately up to the independent dealers what they want to sell.

Wishing1: Seeing as I expressed interest in the forthcoming Saab, I assume you are calling me a Lemming. The GM cars I like other than the Saab are the CTS and the Solstice, hardly common in looks or mechanics. I have always been a rwd fan, primarily because I prefer rwd oversteer to torque understeer. Given that most cars in US are FWD, and anyone of those will have some level of torque understeer, you can hardly call an rwd fan a lemming. Unless of course you want to describe yourself as the hindquarters of a larger grazing herd animal.
  • bretfrazbretfraz Member Posts: 2,021
    No, I'm not referring to Europe. Saturn's been in the GM rumor mill for years. My latest info has them separate. You'll have to take my word on this one.

BTW, Saab and Saturn are dualed in Canada.
    nope, I was calling the car a lemming. They are all starting to look the same, perform the same, feel the same. All the manufacturers want a piece of the BMW pie, and their cars are starting to reflect that.

I am a big fan of RWD as well, and I would never give that up in a sports car. However, I love SAAB because they have never followed the pack as far as other entry lux marques go. SAAB to me means turbocharged four cylinders, FWD with that awful torque steer, quirky box/wedge hatchback styling, amazing hatchback utility, impeccable ergonomics and the most comfortable seats in the buisiness.

If I wanted a car that handled beautifully I would go for RWD any day of the week. But I dont need that feature in a SAAB, as there are plenty of other manufacturers who do that well.
    Saab / Cadillac dealers seem like a good idea to me. Just not sure how logistically you could change all the franchises though.
  • beachnutbeachnut Member Posts: 291
    ... but your post was a little ambiguous. I guess I have no room to talk, since I no longer drive Saab and have joined the Cam-Cord crowd. No torque steer there - in fact, not much of anything there at all! Oh well, maybe when the kids get a little older ....
    Interesting. I hope GM hurries up and decides what they want to do. Right now in the Chicago area the Saab dealers are somewhat the orphan car.

wishing1: Thanks for clearing that up. No harm no foul.
  • godeacsgodeacs Member Posts: 481
    are already partnered here in San Antonio and other locations....
  • gbriankgbriank Member Posts: 220
    GM is planning to pair Saab/Cadillac together in the US. GM is hoping that Saab customers will progress up and into the newer Cadillac line (CTS). Sewell happens to be the first, that I am aware of, that has paired up the two.
    It will be an interesting mix. Saab's fwd performance cars, Cadillac's rwd performance cars, the DTS, and whatever you want to call the trucks posing as Cadillacs. Basically, GM will be matching Lexus car for car and throwing in a fancy pick up to boot.
  • saabwicksaabwick Member Posts: 2
    Unfortunately, the new styles kepp looking more and more like every other car out there....I still get compliments on my '93 hatchback....plus I can load it to the gills with stuff....can't do that with a trunk!!
  • saabwicksaabwick Member Posts: 2
    what's the chances of getting good deals on 2002's when the 2003's come out?
    Specifically, 9-3 convertible. Should i wait?
    Even with the redesign coming, 02 9-3 sales are robust. All car sales have softened somewhat in May. Still, you may not have much of a selection if you wait long.
  • smu1976smu1976 Member Posts: 110
    Saab is giving the dealers 4K per car incentive on the 9-3's, so make sure you get your discount and the dealer doesn't pocket it all. You should be able to grab a 9-3 very cheap. West County Saab in St Louis has 4k off sticker even on the 9-5's. The longer you can wait the better, but Saab stopped building the old 9-3 already, so selection decreases as the price.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    The Town Hall is about to take on a new look in an effort to make content more easily searchable and accessible.

Have you seen the Letter from the Town Hall Manager on the Town Hall Welcome page? If not, you might want to follow that link to have a look.

And hang on to your seats. Change is never easy - for any of us - but resolving the Search problems we've had will be worth the pain.

Pat
    Sedans Host
  • cairngormcairngorm Member Posts: 2
    So much so that I have already put a deposit on one so that I can purchase the first 2003 9-3 Vector from my local dealership. I personally have never really cared for the hatchback style and always preferred the looks of the 9-5 and 9000 sedans.

In North America, at least, if you really have to haul things often you have the option to purchase a pickup truck. And for the price you pay for even a stripped 9-3 you can buy very nicely equipped pickup truck.

As to quirkiness, it only works as long as it pays the bills. Saab is in business to make a profit and if that means changing a model to better compete then that is what it must do to survive. If the sales have not been where they need to be then obviously not enough people liked the unique Saab "quirkiness" to continue selling it.
    It looks like it will be a great car.

Please come back and post your impressions after you take delivery. If anyone can do fwd right at this price, it is Saab. I think this car has hit potential.
  • ssppaassppaa Member Posts: 1
    I have read this message board for the first time ever today, and I had not been inspired to register to this website and write any comments... until I read what cairngorm wrote (#77) about how if we have to haul stuff often we have the option of buying a pick-up truck... for less money even.

Well I do have to haul stuff on occasion, so buying a pick-up truck is the best advise anyone has ever given me. I seriously doubt I will end up choosing the new 9-3 when I buy a car in September.

I better go I have to research a pick-up truck to replace my current 1999 9-3 hatchback.
  • cairngormcairngorm Member Posts: 2
    Obviously you can haul things in either vehicle but there are some items I would NEVER put in the back of a car (oily car parts, cement bags, 2X4s, etc). When we leased our 1998 F-150 back in August of '98, we had just bought a new home and we needed to haul lots of stuff those first two years. However, for the last two years I think we have hauled stuff maybe three times. For this reason, I'll be returning the truck this August and then wait patiently until late October for my new 9-3 Sports Sedan.

If I have to haul anything from Home Depot, I'll most likely rent their truck to take my purchases home. If theirs are all spoken for I can go to U-Haul or Budget and rent a truck from them.

My main reason for getting some sort of true car is FUEL EFFICIENCY. I'm lucky to get 16 MPG with my truck when commuting and maybe 20 MPG going downhill with a tail wind on long trips. Granted it has a 26 gallon tank but it takes about $40 to fill it. I haven't seen the mileage numbers for the new 9-3 but they will easily be better than this - the same $40 will likely get me almost twice as far.
    You must keep in mind that Saab is going to make the 9-3x. This car will be based on the 9-3 platform but will have some features normally associated with a small SUV or larger hatch back.
    If Saab in fact does not make a 9-3 hatch (and I do not believe a hatch has been ruled out -- just that it will not be available this Fall), the thinking probably is that most people who want a hatch will opt for the 9-3x and the rest will buy the 9-3 sedan, or convertible when it arrives later.
  • stgreenstgreen Member Posts: 74
    It sounds funny, but my number one question is: "Will the ignition key be inbetween the seats?"

I cetainly hope so.
  • dl7265dl7265 Member Posts: 1,381
    When are the 2003 going to be avaiable Stateside ?
    The Turbo diesel looks interesting.

DL
    I saw in a magazine they will be out in the fall, but it wasn't more specific than that.
  • rghesselrghessel Member Posts: 122
    I just visited our local (Chicago) Saab dealer to inquire about the 2003 9-3s. He said they expect the linear version in by September, but you have to wait until January for the Aero (top of the line). Seems REALLY strange to me, since if Saab is introducing this new model to be competitive with BMW, MB, Audi, etc...they should have the fast, high HP model out first...

(He also said that if I want Navigation on the car, which I do, that I'll have to wait until January as well...)
  • rghesselrghessel Member Posts: 122
    Has anyone purchased a car fron Perillo Saab in Chicago?

Just curious what your experience (with sales and/or service) has been. Their BMW dealership has a very sketchy reputation.

I stopped by the showroom and it's quite a
    dump...tiny...desheveled...with the Saabs crammed right next (i.e. 3 feet from) the Lincolns.

I've never had a Saab before and they look like
    great cars, but I guess I'm spoiled by my current Lexus experience... Any thoughts?
    Most car companies launch the base model before the HP model. Saab is acting true to form.

Personally, I think you might want to try the Saab Exchange (on the North Shore) rather than Perillo. Saab is an afterthought to Perillo. Saab Exchange sells nothing else.

You do not say which Lexus you have. Saab will probably be quite a different driving experience for you. But change can be good.
    The New 2003 9-3 is scheduled to go on sale on October 1rst. Dealerships are supposed to get shipments starting the week of September 23rd. Dealership ride and drive events (so salespeople can learn about the new model) will start in the Atlanta area towards the end of July.
  • dl7265dl7265 Member Posts: 1,381
    Corner braking control.
    Traction control .
    Bi-xenon
    EBD
    ESp
    sounds like a BMW eh ? just did the interactive of the new 2003 9 3 , looks like a lot of thought went into the redesign. Although im not usually a big fan of FWD it looks very interesting.

DL
    I'm thinking this new 9-3 could propel Saab sales big time in the U.S.

Saab is a big seller around this city, but it also has a very strong dealer which helps. I wonder if Saab will be upgrading and expanding it's network also.
    The new 9-3 promises to be a lot of car for the money. I am leery of spending that much for a fwd as well, but think I will take a look. There appears to be a lot of thought put into this new car.
  • tlivactlivac Member Posts: 11
    My 1999 9-3 SE (5 speed)is due to come off lease on July 22. The purchase price was 31,200. I put an additional $1,700 in cash not including 1st month, security, registration fees, sales tax. I am including the $595 acquisition fee in this number because I consider it to be a cost associated with leasing the car. The total of my payments is 13,494. The residual on the contract is 16,817, Chase is offering me the car for $15,033 plus tax.

I'm trying to fiugure out if I should:

1) buy the car and keep it
    2) buy iy, sell it and upgrade to a 9-5 wagon
    3) turn it in and go for the 9-5 wagon.

I'll be about 5,000 over in mileage ($750) and the condition of my tires is a bit suspect. Except for some minor dings from rocks and such, the car is in great shape.
  • shuttersshutters Member Posts: 1
    hi - I'm looking to replace a 1992 900 Turbo with a 2002 9-3 Viggen 3-door. Any thoughts from current Viggen owners? Consumer Reports isn't overly positive, and I've heard negative things about the torque steer, but I can't help it, I just love the car! Would wait for the new '03, but 3-doors aren't offered. Also any info on current incentive pricing (lists for $38K) would be much appreciated. thanks
  • ambullambull Member Posts: 255
    Shutters, you would have better luck looking in the Coupes & Sports cars discussion called "Saab Viggen - why so cheap?"
  • rickpctrickpct Member Posts: 71
    go to www.saabnet.com active Viggen discussions there...mostly biased toward saab but you can get comparison from people that have owned Classic 900's (like yours) , NG900, and 93
    dindak - in that review it states that the new 9-3 will start at 150hp. Everywhere else I have read 185hp. I seriously hope it is the later. 150hp for a car in this class is unacceptable.
    Probably a typo or error. It's not 150.
  • jhberry4jhberry4 Member Posts: 11
    For any of you in the DFW area, Sewell Saab will be having a 2003 9-3 sedan preview this upcoming Monday 6/24 from 4:30 to 7 pm. They say it is for preferred customers, but I do not think they would turn anybody away. I will post impressions after taking a look at it.