Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Saab 9-3 Sedan

Comments

• oldsman01oldsman01 Member Posts: 1,203
    So right now there is a $2000 rebat on 9-3s and another $1000 if you own a GM car? Hmmmm, if thats the case then I would get $3K. And I am eligible for GMS pricing which typically allows for all regional incentives to be taken off the GMS price of the vehicle.
  • freemahcfreemahc Member Posts: 15
    I haven't heard anything - but the dealer told me that since Onstart is not available yet, we will get 2 years for free instead of just one.
  • f650racerf650racer Member Posts: 16
    One dealer tells me the $2,500 is still available for those who find their own money for a purchase.

Is OnStar for 2 years from when the service begins, or when the car goes into service. And are there 100 or 200 free minutes with it?
  • rgc2200rgc2200 Member Posts: 37
    I bought my 9-3 12/7, but still enjoy the posts.Saab emailed me back the following information to an "old timers" ?. On star will be available in May 03 for installation. still working out some bugs in the software. they will also offer a hard ware "up date" to help the sound of the factory infortainment. It seems some of you linear buyers got leather (or vinyl) arm rests. PLEASE confirm. Saab told me they've had lots of complaints about the radio and arm rest, and they would make an arm rest replacement available to dealers AT A COST. It is optional for each dealer (independent franchises) to sell and install the arm rest at a price they set. I am hopeful our dealers will pass these replacements on to loyal early buyers at a reasonable discount. (i'm probably dreaming). like moose above, at 3 months and 3200 miles i've had "zero" problems. and i've still seen only 2-3 other '03 9-3's on the road. lost count of the # of bmw/audi/volvos spotted. . .
    To date, I have seen only one 9-3 on the roads.
  • code7700code7700 Member Posts: 65
    I've been told the arm rest is something you can buy for about $30. Not a bad deal since that is about the cost of it (if you add shipping, etc.) Most dealers will install it for free I'd guess (if that was where you got your car).
  • a98gibsona98gibson Member Posts: 21
    I bought my 9-3 Linear (with launch package) on Feb 22 and got a leather arm rest. The dealer had several others with leather armrests too. Cars that had been sitting on the lot for a while still had the cloth version. According to the dealer, it was a factory change; not something they had done.

I've only seen two 2003 9-3's on the road. Another reason to love the car. It's different!
  • logic1logic1 Member Posts: 2,433
    Gartner Saab here in the Chicago area is starting to take orders for the Arc level 9-3. Deliveries are expected starting in April

I am working with a sales person on the configuration I want. I'll report back in a few days with options and price.
  • mooselookmooselook Member Posts: 68
    RGC2200 - I took delivery of my Linear in November and I have the cloth armrest. If my dealer offers it for $30 or so (as I've read above) I guess I'll go for it, but you know what? The cloth really doesn't bother me. What I'm really looking forward to is the radio fix. I've added 6X9 speakers to the rear deck and the sound improved, but its still not up to where it should be. I think I'll email my dealer and see what they have to say.
    I saw my 3rd 9-3 on the road last week. That's in a period of over 3 months. We are definately an exclusive group! I'll let you all know what my dealer says about radio and armrest. Also, I'm wondering if Saab has yet deveoped a rule-of-thumb regarding oil change intervals. The manual is very vague. It looks like you're supposed to wait until the trip computer tells you its time to change oil, based on an algorythm that looks at miles and speed. Cool technology, but hard to plan for...
    Finally, to add fuel to the gas mileage fire, I've consistently been getting about 26 mpg. My 9-3 has a 5 speed manual. How's everyone else doing?
    Keep up the good work everyone. We're getting more info from these postings than from anywhere else.

---***Mooselook***---
  • rgc2200rgc2200 Member Posts: 37
    moose:i may be old, but not senile. you and i were part of many postings right at the time we purchased. i'm getting the exact same mileage as you (i have a steel grey, launch,touring, 5 speed), 25-26. My 2000 9-3 got 27-30 on regular gas! I caved on the oil change and did it at 2500, next one at 5K. I know its mobil one, but i couldn't stand waiting. the stereo hardware upgrade came as a shock to me (who knows what'll do. I think send more sound to the rear deck) which should help you with bigger speakers in the back. we'll see. i'm calling about the arm rest. if its 30 bucks, why not?
  • wmquanwmquan Member Posts: 1,817
    My mileage has been more around 22-23 MPG, with under 1k miles. This measured by the trip computer, with an automatic. Much driving is in the suburbs though there is some shighway mileage as well. At one point I noticed a very heavily-highway trip yield 28 mpg for a short time. I'm assuming I might get a slight increase in MPG as the vehicle "breaks in."

I probably missed this in the manual, but after you reset the Trip Computer, does the MPG indicate cumulative mileage since the last reset, or just a reading for the last X miles?
    Saabs and Volvos are somewhat trendy in the Pacific Northwest, so I've actually seen a few 9-3 SS's. But there are only two local dealers (a third is being built) so I don't expect to see too many in the long run. Nice feeling. Have received some positive comments on it, e.g. pulling into a takeout-place tonight, was asked about it by another customer.
  • renee_etoilerenee_etoile Member Posts: 46
    logic1: ooh i'm excited for you, hope the deal goes along smoothly :)

200 free minutes of onstar telephone.

always fun to spot a 93Ss on the road: saw three just today.
  • bigdaddycoatsbigdaddycoats Member Posts: 1,058
    An email I got today from Saab says they will arrive at dealerships later this month. There are also pictures of the new convertible out at the Saab site and at the gm media site. Looks pretty sweet!
    Thanks. And thanks for the tip about Gartner. They seem much more attuned to the buyer than at Perillo. I will keep everyone posted. (by the way, did you get the photos on your website yet?)

Big Daddy: I saw those convertible photos a few minutes ago and am impressed. Saab has always done the small convertible sedan better than everyone. The new one is really going to turn heads.
  • gjl3gjl3 Member Posts: 9
    I have a Linear with manual, and I have been getting around 28 mpg (calculated), or around 30 as shown on the trip computer. I will admit that I have been pretty easy on it while it breaks in (about 1600 miles so far).
    As for the trip computer, check the manual - you can clear just one item, or if you hold the clear button longer, it will clear all of the functions (I do this whenever I fill up).
    You may be seeing more 9-3's soon, buried in the news about February auto sales being down was a comment that Saab sales were up 33%.
  • ricoinvaricoinva Member Posts: 6
    After a bit of negotiation, a Maryland dealer is quoting $353 a month, with only first payment due at signing, on a stripped-down 9-3 Linear. 36 months and 15,000 miles/year

Comments?
  • needashaveneedashave Member Posts: 91
    I noticed that GM has uped its incentives to $2,500. This car was a good deal before, now its a great deal! Does anyone know if the Launch discount of $1,000 can be taken over and above the $2,500 incentive? For anyone seeking a rather unique car, with a great warranty and maintenance program, and a fair amount of panache, the 9-3 may be for you. Spring is in the air...wishful thinking as we just got 8 or so inches of snow in Chicago. Builds character.
  • dbozmandbozman Member Posts: 23
    I have the Linear, launch, touring, 5 speed (steel gray, too). I only have about 800 miles on the car at this point, but I'm average a hair over 26 mpg on 87 octane. This is in mixed freeway/surface street driving.

Still have yet to see another 9-3 (new body style) here in the Phoenix metro area.
    Dion
  • pranpran Member Posts: 2
    to Ricoinva: It sounds like a good deal. What dealership is giving you the deal. I'm in Virginia and don't mind driving up to save some cashola. Thanks in advance
    Heard back from my dealer on a few questions I asked. Basically, nothing we don't already know. Yes, leather armrests are coming in. Doesn't know the price. Regarding On-Star, kits coming in this month. We'll get two free years (no word about any "free minutes" though.) Regarding oil change, he says if it was his car, he'd change it at 7500 miles the first time, then let the computer notify you at 15,000, which Saab should then change for free. Regarding the stereo, he says the Arc and Vector have upgraded stereo's (Duh...) and that they may offer a retro-fit for the Linear. (I did not get the impression from his email that it will be free.) He was not aware of any other stereo fix that Saab is offering.
    So, I hope that my dealer is just uninformed. We'll see.
    ---**Mooselook**---
    MPG = I have yet to calculate my MPG, but like most of you said, during the break-in period, it won't be at its best. BTW, what is the break-in period? I have 1200 miles on mine... how long should I be "nice" (<4,000 RPM) to it? 1500 miles?

MPT (Miles Per Tank) = Obviously there is some fuel left over when I fill up, but I'm getting under 300 miles per tank, which seems a bit low. Then again, my commute to work and back is 10 miles on back-roads (some lights, but low [50 MPH] speeds)... so not exactly the best for economy.

Arm-rest = I took my car in for the 30-day / 1000 mile check-up and they gave me a loaner. The loaner was a brand new 9-3 (light interior and midnight blue paint). The arm-rest was leather, looked OK, but kind of dirty already (car only had 300 miles on it!)... I have the dark interior, so maybe it won't look so dirty if I order the leather arm-rest. Also, I'm glad I got cosmic blue. To each their own (no offense to those of you with midnight blue), but I wasn't really happy with the midnight blue paint, even in the half-day I had the car.

Locks = Turns out there is a rod that is messed up in my rear driver-side door. They are going to replace it, but have to order the part from someplace.

Locks 2 = I asked them to enable the "rolling lock" feature so the door locks and unlocks automatically when you drive off / remove the key. Turns out they can't do it because there is a bug in the software. He said it should be fixed "someday". Anyone else hear this?

Lights = I had my lights re programmed (as well as the alarm arm/disarm, so it beeps). One thing I was told was that if I go back to "normal headlights" I will entirely loose the use of my fog-lights (and I did). How messed up is that? Did anyone else re-code the lights? I just hate having the lights on when I'm sitting in the car (say, in front of a friends house waiting for them to come out). I'm glad I can turn them off now. It would be nice to have my fog lights back... kind of an odd-ball trade, eh?

Other Stuff = The loaner car they gave me was a semi-stripped 9-3. It had 16" wheels and a moon roof, but the "basic" air conditioning (I have the fancy one) and basic radio (again, I have the fancy one). It also had an automatic (I have the manual) and the regular suspension (I have the sports suspension). As much as I initially thought (when shopping around) the Knight Rider looking A/C and radio were overpriced, I am glad I got them. It makes the car look better, and are easier to use (plus dual-zone makes my girlfriend happy). The A/C is a definite improvement (functionally). The radio just looks cooler (no functional improvement).

One odd thing... where I live it is cold (0°F today) and one thing that really sucks is that with the basic A/C you only have one setting for the heated seat: HOT! Don't laugh, I did not like it. I think I burned my [non-permissible content removed]. As I said, there is only "on" and "off". The "on" mode was way hotter than the hottest mode of my 3-temperature system. Talk about weird.

I was also unimpressed with the automatic transmission... I know the car has the same engine as mine (2.0 lower-case "t"), but it felt really underpowered and sluggish. It even sounded a bit strange (different) to me. Not sure what that means, but it made enough of an impression that I'm writing it here.

Also, I was surprised that the straight-line ride was very similar to my sports suspension package (you could feel all the bumps). However, the similarity ended there, as freeway on ramps were very odd in the loaner car (the car leaned a lot, which was to be expected).

I'm glad I got the sports suspension. At first I was a bit apprehensive, but other than a few crappy roads, it makes the car feel like I'm riding on rails. It is an acquired taste I guess.

In my previous car (Audi) you could feel no bumps at all (which was good and bad). I would have guessed that is what the non-sports suspension (9-3) should have felt like (on my loaner car) but it didn't. It felt almost the same (again, straight-line) as mine.

Just an odd thing I also noticed.
  • mmeytinmmeytin Member Posts: 5
    The upgrade for a stereo is supposedly now available for $440 plus installation. It includes a 150W amp plus additional rear speakers. It was not clear if you'd get 2 speakers with 2 coils each (subwoofer and a tweeter), or a total of four speakers. Part number 12 787 153. Should be available from your dealer. I'm going to look into getting it, but probably after I get a stereo software update promised during the OnStar install. Not sure if amp/speakers install can be done by yourself, or do you have to take it to a dealer to install/reprogram something.

As far as DRL feature - I've heard from a number of people that you _can_ have your foglights working with disabled DRLs. You may want to ping your dealer again to get this done.

-M-
  • hungshyhungshy Member Posts: 74
    This is one experience I had from last night. On the way home, I reset the fuel meter. Luckly there were all green light, local way, for about 10 min. So I had fun to watch the number come up. The highest record was 31.9 mpg on average speed only between 35-50 mph witout hit that break. Then after I met red light. the number dropped to only 28-30 mpg. Seems like it count the gas running while car is idle.
    This morning, I did reset again, but it go and stop frequently so only got 18-21 mpg.
    Code7700 - I have the automatic and I have found that flooring the gas does not give the best accelleration, I find that I get better zip when I run 1st gear up to about 4400 and then let 2nd and 3rd gear do most of the work.

The MPG gauge is definetly a running average, the engine is still burning gas when your sitting at a light, so it makes perfect sense for the average to drop. Especially over the short term.
  • bigdaddycoatsbigdaddycoats Member Posts: 1,058
    are the differences in the two engines? The t and the T. Is it only the boost amount or are there other structural differences? I can not seem to find out this information. If anyone knows let me know. Thanks.
  • mind18mind18 Member Posts: 5
    Hi everyone. I am greatly considering getting a Saab 9-3 on a lease, given the exellent deals they are offering :) One problem I have though, is I don't need the vehicle right now and won't need it until end of June. So how far in advance do you think I should begin to talk to dealers if I do decide to lease one? Because with a lease, I don't have to take one off the lot right? I could choose what I would like and wait until it comes in? I will probably contact a few dealers about this...but this is a timing problem that I am having that makes "car" shopping more difficult for me. Also I believe I read this on the boards, but if I lease from a dealer in one state, does it matter what dealer I turn the car back into? Any suggestions?
    Mmeytin said, "As far as DRL feature - I've heard from a number of people that you _can_ have your foglights working with disabled DRLs. You may want to ping your dealer again to get this done."

I did. He had an official looking piece of paper that said the fog lights won't work. And they don't. =8)
    Can't answer the lease turn-in question, but unless you're leasing an Arc or Vector, most Saab dealers have pretty good inventory of 9-3's. There's a chance that if you want a particular color with a particular set of options, they'd have to transfer a vehicle from another dealer, but that may only take a very short period of time (days, a week).

So if you don't need a vehicle until June, you probably don't need to pre-order anything. As it is, the leasing incentives are based on taking delivery by the time the incentive expires.
  • renee_etoilerenee_etoile Member Posts: 46
    Some [non-permissible content removed] must have backed into my car and left a scratch on the bumper, ofcourse he/she boned out.

SIGH.

As if this wasn't bad enough, I parked my car next to a bldg for 5 minutes to drop off a package. As I ran out I heard a thump and looked up just as a small piece of ice bounced off my roof. It was a small piece but it must have made a trip down from atleast 30-40 stories up because now I have yet another scratch on my roof. You can see the inner silver finish. ARGH i'm so pissed, two weeks w/ one perfectass car then friggin two scratches in one day to kill that satisfying new car feel. It's been incessantly bothering me all day.

Anyway, I went to the dealers to pick up my plates today and asked about my rear driver's seat side lock problem, similar to code7700's. They also said it needed to be ordered- expecting recovery next week.
    Sorry to hear about your problems renee_etoile. I live where it is cold too -- and that is just one of the many reasons I want to leave this frozen wasteland.

Falling ice you can't do much about. The worst is ice falling off of trucks on the freeway. I've been lucky so far... all the falling ice has shatted on my windshield. In some states they actually will write you a ticket if you don't clean the snow/ice off your car/truck. Too bad this isn't one of them.

As for parking, kind of late now, but I always park way out in the middle of nowhere. No one will fault you for taking up a space and a half. Not even the cops (as long as you make an effort to park way out). I know, I asked one or two. =8)

Anyhow, so far so good. My last car got all kinds of little marks from parking in the popular areas. I learned the hard way. Fact is, I'd rather have a long walk (even a cold walk) than have to fork up $500+ for a scratch or ding.
  • detroitdriverdetroitdriver Member Posts: 6
    I would like to hear some input from some 9-3 owners on the overall experience with the 9-3, i.e problems, praises, etc. I am starting to looking for a new car and am trying to reduce the list. I am a GM employee, so I have a limited list to select from. I am just leary of the Saab due to past reliability issues and high repair frequency/costs. Thanks in advance.
    Well, this is my first Saab and I really like it. I have only had it for 2 weeks, so I don't have a lot of opinions yet, but to this point I am very pleased. I did want ot say that repair costs are not much of an issue now. There is a great warrantee on the car, and all regular service is covered for the first 3 years. So other than regular payments, the only thing you'll pay for is tire rotation.
  • blitzin1blitzin1 Member Posts: 53
    Thanks for the rundown- yes, others have said that turning off DRL's means loosing fogs- seems strange, and maybe is a software issue they can fix at some point? Can't imagine its hard wired that way. You mentioned you have the sports suspension- do you have the 17" wheels as well? If so, I'd be interested to hear if you are running them in the winter, and what the performance is like on the crappy winter roads when the rubber is frozen, as I am toying with getting a vector, even though I was originally waiting for the Arc. Problem is I know I'm too damn lazy to change the wheels in winter, so I'm trying to find out if putting all seasons on the 17" rims will be enough to get me the 2 miles to work when the roads have been plowed, but are still covered with packed snow (Long Island- snowy but not exactly the snow belt).
    The 2.0t puts out 175 horsepower with a low pressure Garrett GT20 turbo putting out .7 bar. The 2.0T puts out 210 Horsepower and uses a Mitsubishi TD04 high pressure turbo, at .85 Bar.
  • eye90eye90 Member Posts: 2
    I've been sitting on the sidelines watching this forum, and now I can't stand it anymore. Detroitdriver want's some input from other owners, so here's mine.

I leased a 9-3 at the end of Jan because I liked it better than the Passat and the lease incentives plus GM supplier discount made it a no brainer. Plus nobody has mentioned any serious problems on this (or any other) message board. As has been mentioned many times here, the car is great to drive.

However, I've already had to have the entire steering column replaced because of intermittent "immobilizer failures". Now the wheel is cocked slightly to the left and the car pulls, so it has to go back again. Not to mention that you can't turn the key too fast after putting it in or the car won't start. renee_etoile thinks ice is bad for ruining that new car experience, try this.

And to think I turned in a perfectly good 2000 Maxima SE for this (NO problems in 3 years). My friends tell me I should have stuck with Japan, Inc. On the plus side, it's all covered under warranty and the dealer provides me a loaner when the car is in for service. I guess Saab has 3 more years to get it fixed and make me happy, otherwise there is no way I would buy another Saab or recommend one...
  • bv73ms3bv73ms3 Member Posts: 13
    I can say that my initial joy and positvie impression of my 2003 Linear 9-3 has diminished a bit. I still love the outside styling front (back is getting a bit generic to me), Xenon lights (a must have from now on) and lower body color trim (I'm glad I got the Launch package). But the 17in tires and sport susp is a bit too rough (like my wife's Acura RSX). It's great for sporty drives but sucks on the bad roads. Also I've realized that the interior is way below my old 1999 VW Passat! Terrible hard, ugly plastics on the interior dash, sides and center armrest area (and I even had the leather armrest) I do love the Infotainment system and dual air conditioning. I wish the dash wasn't green lighted. (I miss the VW blue-purple...coool.) Well I'm just glad I leased it for 3 yrs and not the 4 yrs that I was thinking about. And maybe I should have waited for the TSX? I don't regret NOT getting the Volvo S60 (hate the headlights) or the Audi A4 (not enough power) but the Acura TSX might have been worth the wait. Oh and as everyone else has mentioned...the stereo is subpar and the CD doesn't read burned CD's that great. Again, if it wasn't for the low low lease deals on this car, I might have look at the A4 and chipped it for more power. By the way, does anyone know about mods/chips for the 9-3?
  • garymfcgarymfc Member Posts: 5
    Are there any Canadians out there that have gotten a deal on the Saab sedan? I'm looking for one for June and have not been able to get anyone (in Toronto) to go lower than $2500 over dealer cost. Sounds like there are some crazy rebates going on south of our border!

It sounds like we have different trim levels too. I don't believe we can get parchment leather here.

Thanks!
    Respectfully, did you test drive a Saab with the 17 inch tires and sport suspension before buying? If so, how much?

Personally, I prefer a tight suspension giving me a lot of road feel. But many, probably most, drivers do not.

If you had driven the car for 15 minutes or more, you would have realized it is not for you. Then you could have spent a third of the money you saved on an amplifier and speaker upgrade and pocketed the rest.
  • brucec35brucec35 Member Posts: 246
    DetroitDriver, If you're limited to buying a GM product, I don't think you'll find any that are substantially more reliable than a Saab. But this is a new design, so expect some teething troubles. I can't imagine any other GM car I'd rather have, though.

Our 9-3 had a loose fuel pump fuse that caused it to stutter and die upon starting one day and it had to be towed. But all it required was them to push the fuse back in. They gave us a loaner convertible 9-3 and otherwise no problems at all.

BV: The 9-3 sport pkg does have some road grain noise, but it's not objectionable to me. Spend $20,000 more for a BMW 530i or get a nice cushy Camry if you prefer a smooth ride to sporty handling. The Acura TSX is a nice car, but I'd guess with an auto it'd be kinda pokey.
  • garymfcgarymfc Member Posts: 5
    Are there any Canadians out there that have gotten a deal on the Saab sedan? I'm looking for one for June and have not been able to get anyone (in Toronto) to go lower than $2500 over dealer cost. Sounds like there are some crazy rebates going on south of our border!

It sounds like we have different trim levels too. I don't believe we can get parchment leather here.

Thanks!
    Code7700 - I posted a message about this a month or two ago but I see that the topic remains a hot one. Regardless of what official paper the dealer might have had, unless they have changed the lighting system since my 9-3 was manufactured in Oct 2002 (w Bi-Xenon's), you definately can have the DRL's reprogrammed to be able to be switched on and off like normal headlights WITHOUT losing your fog lights. I had my dealer do it and, yes, when they initially did it, I too lost my fogs. I went back to the dealer and in about 5 minutes, they were able to fix it. I now have normal headlights that I can turn off, and my fog lights can also be switched on and off at will. Don't give up, IT CAN BE DONE!!!

--***Mooselook***--
    Yes, getting a sports suspension is certainly a major decision. The performance + the look are obviously different, but as said before, not for everyone. Plus the performance tires are usually not rated / suitable for snow.

I noticed a number of 9-3's that had the 17" wheel package and the Michelin Pilot Sports, but without the sports suspension. While the tires will be a bit rougher, that gives the sporty look without the sports suspension.

I actually really like the green lighting of the Saab's dash. It's very soothing at night, without being in-your-face harsh.

While we're still on the subject of tires, though, what did folks get for their 16" tires? Mine came with Michelin Pilot HX MXM4's -- aren't Pirellis the other tire? The Pilots are good, though not as good as the (frightfully expensive) Michelin Pilot A/S tires. Dealer didn't do tire swaps, else I would have gone for the Michelin MXV4+'s. Good performance, better tread wear, less road noise, more comfortable, and actually a few bucks cheaper than the Pilots. Obviously max sporty handling isn't my priority.
    17" wheels -- I have the sports package (blitzin1), but the dealer really wanted to sell me the car (and I didn't want 17" wheels, because of the snow here) so he put on the 16" wheels (10-spoke, which are cool) and didn't charge me for the sports package at all. So I have sports package with 16" wheels with all season rubber (for free nonetheless). Great in the winter. I hear the 17" wheels and summer rubber are really bad in the snow. I think the combination of 16" rubber (more sidewall than the 17" wheels) and sports suspension make a great combo. Best of both worlds. The ride is firm, but not hard. And the car doesn't lean like the regular suspension does (as I found out with my loaner 9-3 from the dealer the other day, man that thing leaned). BTW, I ended up with Pirelli P6 rubber. Great stuff.

DRL -- It is odd you (mooselook) were able to get "normal" headlights and fog lights. The dealer said it couldn't be done. Saab USA said, "I have spoken with tech support regarding the daytime running lights and the fog lights. The software links the two together. When you disable the daytime running lights it also disables the fog lights. When they then reprogrammed the fog lights, they came on with both the high and low beams, which is illegal in most states. So the fix didn't work. They are still trying to find a workable solution."

Rolling Lock -- Saab USA said, "I do not have any information on the rolling lock situation." Odd, eh?

General Problems -- The guy who had the column lock issues (eye90), we don't see too much of that one here. I think you just got a problem car. If I saw tons of posts online like yours, I'd be worried. But I haven't seen too many. If I think back to how many times my previous Audi was in the shop for odd stuff, my Saab is much better off. That being said, both Saab and Audi are happy to fix anything and everything. Can't say the same other (American) cars I've owned.

CD Player -- Hmmm, that is odd (bv73ms3), since I can read store purchased CDs, CD-Rs and even CD-RWs that I burn myself. I really like the idea of the 6-disc changer up front (I hate the trunk load ones, I used to only change my CDs once per month). And now that I can do CD-RWs I can make a CD any time, and when I get bored, re-write them. How cool is that?

Other Cars -- I still think the TSX is ugly. Just my opinion obviously. Also, I was out of the state on business again and rented a Maxima from Hertz (best full size car they have). Once again, I was impressed with the power of the engine, but I'm so glad I didn't by a Maxima. The fit and finish are a joke (as per one of my E-mails long ago, see "Why I didn't like the Maxima" which can be found halfway info message #668).
    I agree with you on the TSX, typical Japanese looking sedan. And the hp(and especially torque) numbers are way down from the 9-3 Arc and Vector. I was looking at the last review C&D did of the Vector(January) and HP was 210 and torque was 221 lb-ft. Not bad for a little 2 liter 4 banger. Heck, thats only 5 hp and 9 lbs-ft. off from the 3.5 liter V6 in my Intrigue. Haven't driven one yet, but me thinks an Arc or Vector with the 6 speed will be quite a blast to drive. I am a bit curious about the lights and door lock situation. I'm used to the automatic locks on my Olds(locks when you put in gear and unlocks when you put in park) and would like to have this feature activated on the 9-3 if I get one. Regarding the lights, my current car has DRLs and automatic lights. Once the headlights(or DRLs if it is daylight) come on, there is no way to turn them off unless you turn the ignition off. Oddly, you can start the car with the parking brake set and either will stay off until the brake is released then this will switch them on and they are on for good. From what I've read, the 9-3s are similar except that they are not switched by the parking brake and come on when the ignition is turned on. I can live with that, although I would be nice to override the automatic headlights at times and turn them off. The only thing I can do in the Intrigue without killing the engine is turn the headlight switch to the parking lamp position and this will turn the headlamps off, but the parking, rear, and side marker lamps all stay on. Does the 9-3 work the same way?
    Just a heads up to all those like me waiting on the Arc's- my dealer (NY) recieved 2 on Thursday- one midnight blue, one black. No Vectors yet. Couldn't drive it, as it still had the styrofoam in the wheels, but my initial impressions of the interior is that the leather in the door panels looks nice, the chrome around the dials is OK but not as shiny as it looks in the catalogs, and that the wood trim doesn't add much. I thought there was too little of it to make a real difference, and that it could have been a bit more glossy- it appears to be quite matte. Both cars had the parchment interior, so maybe it looks better on the grey.

Of course, now that I've settled on a cosmic blue arc, I still ave to wait for one to arrive.
  • tgp1810tgp1810 Member Posts: 112
    I have money that I saved up for my next car. I'm waiting for the Arc and I would be getting a lease. Is it better to put that money down as cap reduction or save it and don't put any money down and use it to start/help make the monthly payments.

I also have another question, does anyone know much the GM Employee discount will be? Anything like the ~$5000 of the 93 Viggens?

Thanks,
    Trav
    "All other things being equal," it is better to minimize your cap reduction cost as much as possible.

There is a leasing forum on Edmunds that can provide a wealth of information.
    Right now, there are not many good places to put your money in this economy. Unless you think investment returns or interest rates are going to improve much over the next few years, use the money to lower the cap.
  • javaswingjavaswing Member Posts: 24
    test drove the 9-3 linear yesterday. very much impressed. The engine is smooth and powerful. I drove a4 and passat before, the 1.8t in those cars are no match for the Saab 2.0t. It also handles nicely and only limited "wight-shifting" can be detected. The instrument panel has some many buttons to push, perfect for a geek like me.