Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Saab 9-3 Sedan

Comments

• whskvswhskvs Member Posts: 28
    Those numbers were very helpful in validating ones from my deal. Thanks much.
  • whskvswhskvs Member Posts: 28
    Dealer claims he has found the only black Vector in US with no touring package. Claims he can't pass along the $2000 on the cap cost because they don't have to discount Vectors. Claims he will give me the $1000 GM loyalty cash though.

Keep in mind, I haven't seen the invoice yet and verified his numbers, but here's how it's looking based on what he is telling me is the MSRP and invoice:

MSRP 36540 (online says 36065)
    Inovice 33375 (online says 33781)
    Invoice-1000=cap 32375
    Residual % 49.00%
    Residual 17904.6
    Depreciation 14470.4
    # of months 36
    Interest rate 2.592%
    Money Factor 0.00108

Monthly Deprectiation
     Charge 401.96

Monthly Finance
     Charge 54.30

SubTotal 456.26

Sales Tax % 5.00%
    Sales Tax per month 22.81

Total per month 479.07

Due at signing 479.07 + 42 tag fee = $521.07
    (no money down)

Note, these are from my number crunching, not the dealer, so things will probably change when I go in tomorrow (they always try).

Any thoughts on what kind of deal this is if I get something close to the above? I hate leaving $2000 on the table.
  • shafjacshafjac Member Posts: 5
    That actually sounds right about the $2k. I think it's only for Linears right now. Has anyone else used the $2k lease support for the Arc or Vector?

Good luck in your negotiations, and let us know how it goes. I'm particularly interested to see what other kinds of "fees" the dealer decides to throw in there.
  • enzo03enzo03 Member Posts: 2
    I read in previous postings that some of you had some re programming done to your 9-3's. I am looking for:
    1)the alarm to Beep when armed/disarmed,
    2)Doors to Lock/Unlock Automatically,
    3)The ability to have the fog lights come on automatically.

Can anyone tell me if any of these codes have been re programmed on there 2003 Saab 9-3.

Also has anyone noticed a excessive wear in their front tires? I have noticed this clunking noise coming from the front, which the dealership can't pin point, and now with only 4500 miles the tires look like they have about 20K. Any help is always appreciated.
  • oldsman01oldsman01 Member Posts: 1,203
    That looks like a pretty decent deal on a Vector. My hope is to find an Arc with few or no(maybe heated seats) options and do a 36 month lease with 15K annually.
  • bbgunsbbguns Member Posts: 4
    I was in the local dealer today...they were willing to begin negotiation at invoice plus $300 minus incentives, currently $2500 factory to dealer plus $1000 GM loyalty bonus. Effectively $3200 under invoice. Based on how quickly they offered this deal, it is my guess that they have other incentives padding their profits. Maybe someone can get a good deal on Monday...
  • a98gibsona98gibson Member Posts: 21
    I can't speak to all of the programming features you're requesting, but the service manager at my local dealer said that he received a software update Thursday that included the auto door lock feature. They will be updating my Linear during its 30-day checkup on Tuesday.
  • wassalljwassallj Member Posts: 14
    Anyone have the Saab phone holder that mounts to the console? If so, how does it attach to the console and how do you like it?
  • blitzin1blitzin1 Member Posts: 53
    Where does the $2,000 discount everyone keeps talking about come from? I know about the $1,000 GM loyalty discount and the (probably near dead) $1,000 launch package discount- but the GM incentive list ( http://www.gmsupplierdiscount.com/pdfs/supne_2003.pdf )shows a cash back incentive of $2,500, not $2,000 (at least through the end of the month. Is this what others are being told by their dealers?
  • jabeevajabeeva Member Posts: 15
    Haven't logged in in a while, but I've been watching from the sidelines. I picked up my new 9-3 this weekend.

Here's what I got: Steel grey (love it) w/ grey interior, launch package, touring package (love the auto climate control) and the sport package. I took the many warnings throughout this discussion site to heart and got the dealer to put the 16" wheels on the car.

I leased: $2823 down (includes, tax, title etc., a $1000 bank fee (gotta love NY), and first month's payment), monthly payment $324/month. I got the $2000 launch discount and the GM owner loyalty discount. If I recall correctly, my cost was $28,070.

Everyone told me I'd never find steel grey w/ grey interior and I almost got merlot red from another dealer, but I looked around and found the car that I wanted; just had to get rid of those 17" wheels (no biggie). I am very pleased with the car, although I haven't driven much. I'm taking a road trip this weekend and will let you know how I like it.

My favorite part of driving the 9-3 has been the stares I get from BMW drivers, and of course with so many of them out there, I got plenty of stares. It's a really good looking car. A friend of mine who recently purchased a 3-series was in town this weekend and after riding around in my car this weekend, she mentioned that she wished she'd at least looked at the 9-3.
  • glutz1glutz1 Member Posts: 20
    I just purchased a Linear on Sat w/the Launch, Touring and Sport Wheel package. While it's my 1st Saab, I'm very impressed so far.

One question; I've been unable to get the mirror to program to accept the garage door opener functionality, despite following the instructions in the manual. The manual indicates that w/the car on, one needs to depress buttons 1&3 on then mirror until the LED blinks rapidly, indicating that the code has been cleared-out. Then you are supposed to simply hold the garage door opener 1-3 from the bottom of the mirror, while pushing the button that you want to assing the functionality to. I've gone through the process several times and it acts like it's accepting the code, but to no avail. Any suggestions (the garage opener in question is a 2.5 yr old Genie w/out the roving codes, so the car should be able to be programmed to accommodate it) ?

Thx
  • koho33koho33 Member Posts: 3
    hi everyone.. this is the best thread i have found on this car by far and you all seem very informed.

i am down to the 9-3 linear and the passat gls. as far as performance and handling go, the saab blows it away. it is however on the very very edge of my budget. i've never owned a saab before and this would be my first new car purchase ever.

i've driven it twice now and am very impressed with it. both times i believe it had the launch package with the 17" alloys and sport suspension. i'd like to go with the 16's and standard chassis. is the 'sport wheel' option really that much better in terms of handling? i would find out for myself but they didn't have any at the dealer without the sport suspension. i guess i'd expect it to be somewhat smoother riding with slight body roll but can't be sure.

any other advice for a rookie considering this saab is welcome. thanks.
  • code7700code7700 Member Posts: 65
    enzo03: the dealer can set the alarm to beep when armed/disarmed. it beeps once when locked, twice when unlocked, and three times when you open the truck.

i was told door lock/unlock is still not something that works (software bug) but that it would be fixed soon. we'll see.

a98gibson: Who is your dealer? I want to have mine call him. I'm still being told that the door lock is not available.
    My dealer is "Just Saab" in Dayton, OH. Great folks and normally right on the money when it comes to technical details. I go in tomorrow for my 30 day check and (I was told) auto-lock programming. I'll post another message tomorrow night to let everyone know if they really got the update or if we should continue to wait for Saab to get it right.
    Has anyone read what the 9-3 owners manual says about washing our cars?

"The body should be washed by hand using plain cold water and a clean, soft brush through which the water flows. Automatic carwashes should be avoided when the car is new. After 5-6 months the paintwork will have hardened. To facilitate cleaning, a suitable detergent can be added to the water which should be lukewarm."

I zapped an email to Saab, they stand by the manual.

I also sent a message to Meguiars, they said "I don't really understand why an auto maker would tell car owners to allow time for a curing period as a new cars paint finish does not require a curing period. All of our car wash soaps including the Gold Class are P. h. balanced to meet all paint needs both new and old so no need to worry."

Any paint experts out there? I didn't think modern, baked paint finishes had curing requirements. Comments please.
  • wmquanwmquan Member Posts: 1,817
    A lot of the differences are subjective, but some are real. You will notice some more precision in handling with the sports suspension, as well as some additional harshness in the ride. The normal suspension still handles quite well, with a moderately better ride.

I can understand your situation because my second choice was a Passat GLS 1.8T Tiptronic. And the Saab was at the very top of my budget if not slightly over it. It was very close but I felt spending what netted to about an extra $2k was worth it.
  • bigdaddycoatsbigdaddycoats Member Posts: 1,058
    GM is offering 0% financing for 60 months on all 2003 models - that makes the 9-3 quite attractive.
    0% over 60 months??? how could that possibly be.. i just was told 3.9 / 60 on the 9-3's.. where did you get this info?
  • guustguust Member Posts: 10
    I purchased a 2003 Linear about a month ago.
    The dealer told me that the car has the sport wheel package and indeed it came with the 17 inch wheels. The dealer gave me the wheel package for free because it was not listed under the cars factory invoice.
    My doubt is whether I really have the sport wheel package with the suspension or did the dealer just take the 17 inch wheels out of a car with the package because the owner of that car did not want it (I have seen this happen in this discussion board)and just put them in my car and told that I had the full wheel package.

Is there anyone who knows the difference between the heights of cars with and without the wheel package.
    If I try to shake my car it really doesn't shake at all (maybe because it is new, does that car without the package shake?)and if I stick my hand between the tire and the body the space is of 3 fingers.

I would be glad if someone could me out. I just want to know if I was deceived or not.
  • tseisentseisen Member Posts: 2
    Press release from GM on the programs for 4-1 to 4-30

General Motors Announces Most Sweeping Offer in its History

Zero percent financing for 60 months across the board with no exceptions or exclusions

DETROIT - General Motors Corp. today announced, "Zero to Sixty," the most sweeping retail marketing program in its history. Effective April 1 through April 30, GM is offering interest-free financing for 60 months on the purchase of any new 2003 GM model Cadillac, Chevrolet, Saab, Saturn, Pontiac, Oldsmobile, GMC and Buick. Additionally, GM is offering very competitive cash rebates of up to $3,000 on most models.

A national campaign including television, print and internet advertising will begin on April 1.

Following are terms for GM's 2003 models (for qualified buyers) - April 1 through April 30, 2003:

0.0/0.0/0.0% 36/48/60
    Buick
    Cadillac
    Chevrolet
    GMC
    Oldsmobile
    Pontiac
    Saab
    Saturn

Or Customer Cash

$3,000 cash on all other Buick, Chevrolet, GMC, Oldsmobile, Pontiac, Saab and Saturn passenger cars and trucks
  • svensvensvensven Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone had the onstar system re-configured to work with a hand-held phone? What are the issues?
    This is not an easy thing to do, as GM has a financial interest in having you use their onstar services. Should be easier once the 9-3 is upgraded to bluetooth, but the only solution I have seen right now is a third party wiring kit that splices into the system to give a cradle mounted phone use of the car audio speakers, microphone, and steering wheel buttons. Not a simple install, and it requires removal of the radio, glove box and the interior trim on the pillars, as the microphone lead is up by the sunroof. Definitely something for the professionals, if you are not very handy electrically.

It costs $131 bucks, and only works with Nokia phones, and installation will run you quite a bit more. It's made by Uhltronics:

http://www.uhltronics.com/installation_93.html
  • dbozmandbozman Member Posts: 23
    Interesting. I was there, too. You didn't say if you were buying or leasing. In my case, I was leasing, and the 9-3 (Launch, Touring, stick) came in at only $18 more per month that the Passat (GLS, loaded, stick) for a shorter (36 vs. 42) term. I liked the VW, but after looking at the costs, the Saab was a no-brainer.
    Dion
  • glutz1glutz1 Member Posts: 20
    I purchased a 9-3 Linear w/the sport suspension and Launch package on Saturday and believe that the sport package is well worth the $. It significantly improves the handling of the car and in my opinion even improves it esthetically, as the 17" wheels/tires really fill out the wheel-wells. And yes, despite the fact that many folks don't like the harsher ride that results from the 17" wheels, I kept them to gain the performance advantage and the esthetic improvement that I believe that they add.

Relative to the price of the car, keep in mind that at least through 3/31, Saab (GM) was offering $2500 in dealer cash on the car and a $1K GM loyalty discount. So, while I don't know if GM extended those offerings, they may have. I also was fortunately able to qualify for the GM employee discount, so w/all of the savings added to the already reasonable price of the car, I was able to get what I feel to be a very attractive and (for more) capable car for the price of an Accord, Passat, Mazda6, etc.
    thanks for the replies. i understand that the life of the 17" wheels are not as good as others. is this true do you think? i really wish they had one without the sport suspension so i could compare for myself.

i still expect the stock suspension / 16" alloys to let me feel the road since it is indeed saab, i just really liked that there was basically 0 body roll on the corners.

oh, and has anyone ever dealt with carsdirect.com??
  • gary_sgary_s Member Posts: 2
    Check your MSRP on the window sticker, if sport package is listed on the MSRP, your car has it.
    There're cars with 17" wheels on them but they don't have sport chassis. During December the supplier for 16" wheels was running behind in shipments and Saab had to put 17" wheels on some cars free of charge. I'm in this situation that the dealer misled me that my car had the sport package. The issue has been brought up to the sale manager and I'll keep you posted. I'll bring this up to Saab USA too.
    Got the 9-3 back from its 30 day check. We have good news and bad news.

The good news: My dealer was able to program the automatic door "unlock" feature. It unlocks the doors when the ignition key is removed. I typically lock the doors when driving and this is a handy feature which works well.

The bad news: automatic door "locking" is still not functional.

The Service Manager said that he expected automatic door locking in this software revision, but it didn't happen. He hopes for it in the next revision, which should be released in 3-4 weeks. Maybe I can combine the software update trip with OnStar installation!

I didn't get everything I wanted, but did end up with part of my wish list completed (radio software upgrade and unlocking), a 2003 9-3 loaner, and a clean, hand washed car waiting for me when I came back to pick mine up.
  • jlp8885jlp8885 Member Posts: 13
    whats everyone's opinion on saab's rear steering system?
  • jlp8885jlp8885 Member Posts: 13
    how does the rear steering effect rain and snow traction?
  • guustguust Member Posts: 10
    Gary, i believe that I am facing the same problem that you are. They just gave me the wheels and said that I had the sport wheel package. It does not show on the MRSP. I also called Saab USa but they have told me there is no way to pull up the information about the options with the vin number. Can you give me the name of the representative that helped you out maybe he can help me.
  • zork4zork4 Member Posts: 6
    Interested in purchasing the 'ARC'. Edmunds is showing a current rebate of $3K. Has anyone purchased using the GMS pricing? I notice the TMV looks close to invoice so I'm curious if the GMS is much lower?

Thanks,
    I haven't purchased yet, but if I do I am eligible for GMS pricing. From what I understand, GMS pricing on Saabs is invoice less any regional advertising fees. Any rebates being offered should come off the GMS price so the 3K would come off invoice. The 3K rebate must be new as I was not aware of that.
  • tgp1810tgp1810 Member Posts: 112
    I had Saab send me the 2003 GM Employee pricing. In the text file they sent, it also has the pricing for the supplier program.

I've posted it here: http://mywebpages.comcast.net/TGP1810/saabprices.doc

The 3K rebate (I'm pretty sure) is part of the 0-60 ad campaign. You can get 0%/60 months financing on all 2003 makes or you can get $2000 - $3000 cash back on all 2003 makes (except Cadillac).
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    Thanks for the link!
    It does look as if you can choose between the 0% for 60 months or take the $3000. 0% for 60 monthsd would be tempting but so would a 36 month lease based on a GMS priced vehicle after the 3K rebate. It sure stinks for those of us playing the stock market(although today was decent) a slow economy does have some benefits as I have never seen 0% financing on so many cars being offered(even Toyota is offering it on their best selling models). As my Intrigue sits in the service bay again, these deals have got me thinking that now is the time to buy(or lease).
  • brucec35brucec35 Member Posts: 246
    We have a 9-3 and still haven't heard a date from the dealer to come get the onstar installed. Should we give them another call or is it again delayed?
  • ramonaledgeramonaledge Member Posts: 5
    greetings,

my wife and i just bought a 1999 saab 9-3 se and we like it a lot.

be sure to visit our web page that features a review, plans for aftermarket upgrades to the car as well as a forum where you can post and view saab 9-3 comments.

here is the url:
    http://www.backcountryjournal.com/1999saab93review.htm

thanks, and have a great day!

mike
    Do a search on this board for Supplier discount, as the topic has been covered many times before. Incentive can be added to the supplier price, but it is up to individual dealer discretion Full details are at www.gmsupplierdiscount.com, which also lists the regional incentives- and the 9-3 is listed at $2,500, not $3,000.
  • toneetouchtoneetouch Member Posts: 60
    I understand that zero % financing is only for those with pristine credit. Is the $3000 cash back also only for those with great credit?
  • lovetosavegaslovetosavegas Member Posts: 73
    You don't need any credit ratings if you are paying in full(or your bank/credit union pays in full). In this case you get a whole cash back rebate.
  • bentlightbentlight Member Posts: 7
    Since GM is offering such great incentives for the month of April, what kind of deals are people getting on Arcs and Vectors? I don't want to pay MSRP, but I can't see a dealer selling for Edmund's TMV. I live in the Southeast(Alabama) and all of the surrounding dealers have a very, almost nonexistent, inventory of the two. One salesperson told me that northern dealerships sell more of the Saab, so are provided a larger inventory.
    Also does the 9-3 require premium fuel?
  • bbgunsbbguns Member Posts: 4
    I was quoted $800 over invoice by a dealer in Florida for an Arc with Sunroof, Sentronic, and Heated Seats (don't really need those). When I told the dealer that I wouldn't pay more than Edmund's TMV, they dropped their price to exactly TMV. Same for Linears. Don't forget to 'remind' your dealer about the holdback when negotiating your price. Bottom line...these guys want to sell their cars NOW. Good luck.
  • toneetouchtoneetouch Member Posts: 60
    I'd imagine that, with the cash back included in the price, 9-3 Linears are likely selling below invoice. I assumed that Edmund's TMV took discounts into account. Was I wrong?
  • saabvecsaabvec Member Posts: 2
    I have been reading this very informative board on the sidelines since October when ordered my Vector and I finally took delivery of it yesterday! I am still in the "courting stage" with the car and would like to ask a quick question with hopes someone could help me out. Can the dealer turn on the Comfort Opening/Closing feature? I know of people who have left their sunroofs cracked or even opened and their cars suffered from rain water damage. It's also nice to be able to remotely roll down your windows/sunroof on hot summer days to cool off your car before actually getting in. Thanks for any info you can provide!!
  • needashaveneedashave Member Posts: 91
    I just picked up my new Black loaded ARC. Wow. The car has automatic, heated seats, sunroof, and touring package. Great buying experience at the Saab Exchange in Lake Bluff, Illinois. Paid $29, 597 plus tax. This was the last ARC they had in inventory. Happy motoring.
  • needashaveneedashave Member Posts: 91
    Forgot to mention that they activated the Onstar today as well.
  • saabvecsaabvec Member Posts: 2
    I took some shots of the Vector. Click on the link to see the pix:
    http://members18.clubphoto.com/saab698566/owner-f33f-1.phtml
    Great pics!

I drove a 9-3 Linear for the first time today, so here are some impressions. The model I drove had an MSRP of $29,xxx and had the automatic, 16" wheels(look like the standard ARC wheels), heated seats and sunroof. They had two Linears which were identically equipped and an Arc. The Arc looked as if it was about to be sold as the same person was looking the car over and test driving it the entire time I was there. Anyway, my impression of the Linear was pretty good. I don't think I've driven a 4 cylinder that was as smooth or refined as this one. It was a touch slow off the line, but the turbo kicked in real quickly and was very smooth. It felt much like a nice DOHC V6 does when revving it up. Brakes were very good and the handling seemed good. I just took a brief test drive, but was very impressed with the ride as well. The seats were very comfortable, however, the model I drove did not have the power seat so I could tilt the seat back as I would liked to, otherwise the driving position was great. The audio system was decent, but coming from a Bose system in my current car, it lacked good base response. And I can see why as those rear speakers are tiny. All in all I was impressed with the car and definitely want to try an Arc next time. The Arc they had there was fully loaded with automatic, heated seats, sunroof, and touring package. As I've said before, I'd happily take an Arc in base from. possibly with heated seats as the only option. I will definitely keep the 9-3 on my short new car shopping list.
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    You seem to have paid about $3000 below invoice. Is that right?

saabvec - Great pictures. I was afraid the Vector interior would be too dark and monochromatic...it looks very nice!
    Has anyone added XM radio to the new 9-3? I asked the salesperson about the availability of XM and he did not know when or if it will be offered by Saab but said that he was unsure if it could be added aftermarket to the new 9-3 due to it using fiber optics. Also, what is the final(or latest) answer on the automatic door locks? If possible, I would want the car programmed to lock when in gear(or reaches a certain speed) and unlock when the ignition is turned off. To those with an Arc or Vector, how are you liking the 300 watt audio system?