Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Saab 9-3 Sedan

Comments

• grekofoolgrekofool Member Posts: 1
    > #1688 of 1741 incentives - chef228 by
    >kretch41 May 25, 2003 (7:18 pm)
    >Just my two cents, but I'd take the cashback.
    >You usually save more $ plus you are getting
    >money back upfront as opposed to several years.
    >I have a Vector, 6spd with everything but
    >touring. I got it for 29,500 using cashback.
    >You'll love driving the 6spd. Good luck.

Interesting view... actually, if you finance
    you put very little upfront, but if you take
    the cashback you have to pay everythning else
    upfront. But the cashback might still be worth
    more than your finance savings, depending on
    your rate of return.
  • blitzin1blitzin1 Member Posts: 53
    Are you driving off before all the idiot lights go off on the console? I noted than when I throw the car in reverse too soon, it will stall 80% of the time. Now I wait for the lights to go out (5 seconds or so), and no more stalling.
  • lockielockie Member Posts: 8
    The time it stalled 3 times in a row it hadn't finished the check on the first stall. I waited for the light the other two times, but something must have already been out of whack and didn't immediately reset when I had to restart (probably since I never took the key out of the ignition). I will have to watch this.
  • mjwillsmjwills Member Posts: 46
    It stalled when I pulled into the garage going forward. The next day it was in limp mode. This was a Sunday, on Monday it seemed to run fine, but took it to the dealer anyway. There was a record of this in the cars computer and the dealer did a software update to the engine. I cannot tell you what exactly is involved in the update.
  • lovetosavegaslovetosavegas Member Posts: 73
    This is the funniest thing I've read in awhile. I thought cars weren't like the computers. Saab better fix this thing quick because nobody wants to wait before their car boots up after power is ON :)
  • novicecarguynovicecarguy Member Posts: 8
    I'm new to the Saab line and so far i'm a little
    concerned about my 2003 9-3. Two issues in the first 1500 miles. The interior ac/heating fan was
    stuck on high (even with the key out) and now
    the on-star is malfunctioning. Anyone else having
    annoying issues to deal with? I really enjoy driving this car, but, it's really starting to bug
    me. (i needed to vent a little)
  • 2saab2saab Member Posts: 14
    No problems with my 9-3 so far with 1100 miles. I had one On-star error message on the SID but it occured in an area where I always have cell phone drop-out. I expect it was related to that. No problems since.
  • mrblonde49mrblonde49 Member Posts: 626
    I had an Ontsar failure once - but it cleared itself with going to the dealer. Other than an idle problem that was fixed, I haven't had any issues. Very happy with my Arc at 2500 miles
  • sa93absa93ab Member Posts: 5
    I have a 03 Vector. I have 2200 miles on it and has performed great for me (I do have some rattles here and there too). The one pet peeve is that the front ground effects are really low and I end up scratching it and even once denting it.

Anyone know what a replacement front ground effect costs? If it that ground effect piece is cheap than I won't mind as much :-)

Thanks
  • mjwillsmjwills Member Posts: 46
    How do you get the door lock buttons to work on the doors? Once you use the remote you always have to use the remote? Am I reading the manual wrong? thanks.
  • kth123kth123 Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone installed XM or Sirius in a 2003 9-3? The dealership said don't even try due to the electronic system being tied into every aspect of the car.
  • code7700code7700 Member Posts: 65
    I've had my car at the dealer a few times for rattles... the sound is very subtle, but kind of sounds like someone tapping a pen on their desk (best I can describe it).

The first two times they couldn't duplicate the problem (which I'll give them because unless you drive the car every day it is really hard to notice)... this last time, however, they tightened some stuff in the door area (don't recall exactly where it was) that didn't seem to help.

I think I was able to finally locate the source of the noise... about 2-inches above where the seat belts mount to the B-pillar. If I put my hand (pressure) on that area, it stops. So that is good, hopefully the dealer will be able to fix that.

The other area seems to be in/near the sunroof. If I have the "shade" closed over the sunroof, I don't hear it, but when the "shade" is open I hear some noise. Again, easily fixed I'm guessing.

What else... low air dams (up front), even on my "cheap" Linear are an issue, but luckily, all the damage I have can only been seen when you're looking at it from on your knees. Not something I'm going to worry about. If I had the Vector, I'd be a bit more concerned. =8)

Overall, this car is low-to-the-ground (which looks great)... even the entry-level model. I parked next to a Sentra today and didn't realize how low my car was compared to some others. The Sentra looked like an SUV to me. =8)
    There must be a way to get XM in the car. I thought the non-Linear models had a SPDIF (or other sort of jack) input within the arm-rest. Or was this a misleading feature like Bluetooth? (I'm still upset about the lack of Bluetooth and the inability to use my OWN mobile phone.)

I spoke to an XM guy the other day at a trade show and he suggested using their RF transmitter kit. It'll rebroadcast the XM signal to an FM radio station. Low tech, but it'll work. I've seen both the Sony and Delphi XM SKYFi models... the Delphi XM SKYFi is unreal... not much bigger than a wallet... and you can take it to your home, work, car, etc... even hooks into that silly looking "boom box". The idea you can take it from A to B to C is so smart. Very un-Microsoft like licensing scheme.

Take a look at the Delphi SKYFi FM Modulator to see what I'm talking about... http://www.xmradio.com/skyfi/ and click on "FM Modulator."

I still can't believe Saab has done nothing about the Linear's crappy audio system... do they even read this forum?

• kpflegerkpfleger Member Posts: 14
    I started a discussion of braking performance by trim level on saabnet. I'll repeat the question and info so far here.

Consumer Reports tested a Vector and said: "Braking performance was excellent, achieving the shortest stopping distance we've ever recorded for a sedan." Comparison numbers from their test track:
    9-3: 120ft
    IS300: 128ft
    3-series: 131ft
    A4, G35, and S60: 133ft
    Even beats sports cars:
    Corvette: 121ft
    Boxter: 124ft
    Is this great braking exclusive to the Vector?

Yahoo autos reports 312mm front brakes and 290mm rear brakes for all 3 trim levels. This agrees with the top numbers someone posted from the Saab media site, but they listed different numbers for the different trims. Yahoo could be wrong about Linears/Arcs.

I went to a dealership and looked at the brakes. Etched into the metal on a Linear was "285/25" and on an Arc and a Vector was "302/28". I've no idea what these numbers mean, but the first number is in the right ballpark to be a size in mm. Does anyone who reads this board have a service manual with part numbers and descriptions?

-Karl
  • richn2richn2 Member Posts: 44
    Before I actually take the plunge I am a little concern regarding the discussion of "stalling". This might be a foolish question to ask but knowing me it wont be the last one that I ask. It seems that the majority of the stalling happens right after the car is started, if this is not true then please let me know. Once the car stalls are you able to restart the engine. Does the stalling happen often or is it periodically. When you inform the dealer to this problem are they typically able to resolve the issue. The same goes for the rattling, is the dealer really concern and helpful or do they just give you some song and dance. One of the reason I ask is due to the run around I had with my current car. The car has a constant squeal and the dealer saids sorry not much we can do. So to not hear the sound I turn the radio up loud, thank goodness I have an excellent sound system.
    Oh well sorry for the rant but I really do not want to go through this type of service problems again.
  • needashaveneedashave Member Posts: 91
    I suffered my first set back with my Saab yesterday. I was at the mall and came back to my car to find the antenna that is normally centered on the roof, laying on the ground next to the car!!!! Well, it appears someone was either attempting to steal the antenna or vandels got to it with a baseball bat. There is now a small dent in the roof under where the antenna itself normally is seated. Everything in the car still works, except the onstar (which I don't use.) Now I need to figure out how to get this repaired. I thought I would start with Dentbusters and then try the dealer. Life goes on..
  • danncasdanncas Member Posts: 24
    So you have the light interior and like it. I ordered my Vector 2004. The dealer called me to tell me a few changes. One the back of the car will say. 93 Aero. and Now I can have all the colors in the lets say Vector, There is no white and Cousmos blue. They added a Espresso, black with brown metallic specks, and teal blue now. The midnight blue has big metal speck also. So now I have to decide. Having the Vector with the brushed Aluminum, I was wondering what to pick for the interior. It fist I like the laser red and light interior, but red fades so. The Teal sounds good, but can't see it yet. Black with light interior is cool, but I have had so many black cars. WHAT DO YOU ALL THINK ??
  • mooselookmooselook Member Posts: 68
    The Linear is 8 months old. Odometer hit 7000 miles and not one problem so far (other than two nails in two tires in the same week!). Average about 27.5 mpg in mixed driving. I still need to get the On-star activated and I guesss I'll spring for an oil change even though the car hasn't told me it needs it yet. I'll be driving it from New Jersey up to Maine next month. Looking forward to the highway trip.
  • kretch41kretch41 Member Posts: 13
    Rattling: I have a Vector and the rattling from the doors is infuriating. Highway driving with the radio off, radio on AM, cd playing all producing rattling in both doors. I am taking the car in next week to see what they can do.

Braking: I'm not exactly sure on this. I am betting the brakes are the same on all models but I have to think the 17" tires make a huge difference.

Stalling: As far as I can tell, the only stalling issues occur with automatics. I haven't had any issues with a manual.
    Edmunds TMV prices seem to be very odd. Near the end of last month, they were over $1000 below CarsDirect.com's up-front, no-haggle prices. Today they are significantly HIGHER than CarsDirect.com prices (for my area, zip 94040). For example, right now a Vector, loaded except for a manual transmission instead of an automatic and no metallic paint, lists for $32,785 at CarsDirect.com but the Edmunds TMV is $34,320. This is just an example. The difference appears for all 9-3 trim levels, and loaded with options or with none.

How can this be? Aren't the TMV's averages of what people are actually paying? Are that many people suddenly paying $1500 more than a no-haggle, up-front price? Normally, TMV is less than CarsDirect's price, as it was last month for the 9-3 and as it is today for the A4, G35, etc.

And why would the TMVs rise so much since only a couple weeks ago? Reports (e.g., cars.com) are that the $2500/3000/3500 incentives are still on, despite that Edmunds no longer reports them. The CarsDirect.com prices are below invoice, and this would be difficult if the incentives were not still on.

(There is plenty of inventory in my area, BTW, so a sudden loss of supply is not the answer.)

-Karl
    "Braking: I'm not exactly sure on this. I am betting the brakes are the same on all models but I have to think the 17" tires make a huge difference."

It's a good point that the tires make a big difference, but I'm now pretty convinced that the brake rotors themselves are also bigger on the Arc/Vector than the Linear and that t
    his also makes a big difference. When Edmunds tested a Linear, it had performance tires (but oddly no sports suspension) and it did a tiny bit worse than the A4 3.0, 330i, C320. But Consumer Reports' Vector did quite a bit better than these same other models in their tests. See:

http://ksl.stanford.edu/~kpfleger/auto/performance.ps
    Hard to say without seeing the cars in person, but the teal sounds like it might be pretty nice - with parchment interior. Steel grey is my color, and it looks good, but the car looks good in just about every color
  • needashaveneedashave Member Posts: 91
    We'll, I thought I'd share the solution to my antenna problem I had posted earlier. A local paintless dent removal shop will do the work to repair the dent in the roof and install a new antenna. This will entail dropping the roof liner and smoothing the dent, and installing a new antenna. The antenna replacement cost is the big nut here at $250! The good news is that the antenna wiring which consists of two cooper leads and a fiber lead terminate underneath the roof.

The lesson to be learned is to avoid the mall at all costs and stick to internet shopping. Happy motoring.
    Has anybody ever heard of GM's A plan and if so how does it work. My nephew had just informed me that he is eligible for the A plan. He was not really sure what it is and how it works. If this is a real GM plan is there a way that I could purchase a GM car (SAAB) by using this option.
  • tgp1810tgp1810 Member Posts: 112
    GM currently has GMS (option 1) for its employees and GM Supplier discount for select GM suppliers. GM reciently changed the way the discounts work. Because of fraud in the past, GM now requires the SSN of all persons trying to use GMS pricing. GMS does not apply to Saab and Saturn pricing though. The discounts on these makes is slightly less than GMS. For Saab, the employee discount is equal to the "dealer net" (Dealer Invoice amount less Dealer Reserve, Expense Reserve & less Supplemental Advertising (if applicable)). Because it is your nephew that is eligable for GMS, you are not currently eligable. Only persons living in the same household, parents, brothers/sisters, children, spouse, and in-laws are eligable for the GMS pricing. To find out specifics, your newphew should visit www.gmfamilyfirst.com and create an account. When your nephew wants to purchase or lease a car using GMS pricing, he will need to login to www.gmfamilyfirst.com and request an authorization number. If it is not for him, but an eligable family member, he will need to specify which member (a family member that has also created an account with GMFamilyFirst). Next, he will need to indicate the model year of the vechile he wishes to use GMS on (GMS pricing can only be used on 4 cars in the same model year per calendar year. ex: 4 1999's 4 2003's). He will then need to accept the program rules and guidelines. He will then recieve his authorization number which he will present to the dealer when he goes to either order his vechile or pick it out form stock. The dealer will verify his number. GMS is great because not only are you reciving the discounted price, but also dealers are required to give you all current incentives. Plus 9 out of 10 times there is always an extra GMS incentive.
  • mooselookmooselook Member Posts: 68
    A while back, Hungshy asked for ideas to clean up the brake dust on the wheels. I've tried several products that worked well on other cars but for some reason, did not touch the Saab brake dust. I went out and bought some little brushes that fit between the 10 spokes and spent a lot of aggravating time trying to clean those wheels. Then I discovered Eagle One All Wheel and Tire (comes in an orange spray bottle). Spray this stuff on, wait 30 seconds and hose off the dirt. This stuff really works! So, if you don't like your wheels looking BLACK, try this stuff.
    **--Mooselook--**
    So it seems like the bottom line is that I am not able to use the GM discount plan for 2 reasons:
    1) I am his uncle and 2) it really does not apply to SAAB.
      Just to make sure I read your one statement correctly:
    The discounts on these makes is slightly less than GMS. For Saab, the employee discount is equal to the "dealer net" (Dealer Invoice amount less Dealer Reserve, Expense Reserve & less Supplemental Advertising (if applicable)).

That I should be able to receive discounts that would be close to what the GMS plan would be. The discounts you are referring to would that be the manufacture to dealer. Beside that discount if that is the one you are speaking about are there any other discounts that I could possibly secure.

I also would like to thank you for both your prompt response and valuable information. My goal is to hopefully reduce the overall cost of a SAAB ARC to something that I can afford.
    Thank you.
    No problem. You are correct, you will not be able to use the GMS discount because you are his uncle. The discounts I was refering to when talking about the Saab and Saturn makes are in fact employee discounts. For these two makes, employee pricing isn't as good as with Cadillac, Buick, Chevy, GMC, Hummer, etc. The employee discount on a fully loaded Arc is around $3500. As for general incentives, this month, Saab does have $2000 lease incentive on both the Arc and Vector models and I believe they are still offering the $2500, $3000, and $3500 cash back on the Linear, Arc, and Vector models (anyone know for sure?). If you are thinking about leasing a 9-3 Arc, the current money factor is 3.5% (.00146) and the residual is pretty good at 53% (36 months, 15000 miles/year).
  • rachinocrachinoc Member Posts: 3
    Yes, they are still offering the $2500,$3,000, and $3,500 (Linear, Arc, Vector), but I think it ends June 30, 2003. I am picking up a midnight blue Arc on Tuesday and a question just popped into my head and I can't get in touch with the dealer on a Sunday. Does the Arc automatically come with the 5 disc CD player? The one I test drove had it so I guess I just assumed they all did and forgot to ask. (oops) I got the touring package, moon roof, automatic, heated seats.
    Arc/Vector comes with single CD standard. The 6 disc changer is part of the touring paqckage. It's my only beef with their optioning, because it can be had with the driver's package on the Linear (which includes things most people would want), but only with the touring package (which has other things I didn't need) on the Arc/Vector
  • gjl3gjl3 Member Posts: 9
    One more comment on this. Make sure that your employer is not considered to be a "GM Supplier." The list is amazingly long. I got a good deal (at the time, in December) doing this on a Linear, and in no way do I think of my company being a supplier.
  • hungshyhungshy Member Posts: 74
    Thanks for suggestion. I will try it for sure.
    also find out if I clean it more often. week after week then it's easier to cleaned than let it stay for a month. Thanks.
  • ftnss1ftnss1 Member Posts: 3
    I've had my Arc for two weeks...got all the options except the sport wheel package (if you want that, why not get the Vector?) for about $31,400....I love the way the car handles, like it's glued to the road, and I don't think you can find comparable quality and features for under $34K with any other brand....But -- I have suffered the stalling problem twice, both times at a stop light when rapidly going from brake pedal to accelerator and back again [i.e. stop and go situation]....I called the dealer's service dept. The service guy said [I kid you not] that the car's computer needs to "learn" the proper idling speed (or something), and that I needed to turn the car on and let it idle for 10-15 minutes (without moving it) to overcome this problem; he said that's what they'd do if I brought the car in! I'm thinking (A) this sounds like complete BS, or (B) if this IS true, why wouldn't Saab perform this "learning" ritual before delivery? Then I e-mailed Saab to ask them about this "story." They said they'd contacted the dealer but couldn't find who'd given me that advice...and that the "Trionic" system -- I assume that's the computer -- does adapt somewhat, but shouldn't need to "learn" to idle; and that I should bring the car to the dealer if the problem persists. The car has stalled once since I tried the "learning" procedure, but it does seem to be running better as I get past 1000 miles, so maybe this is part of the engine break-in period for the 2.0T engine [on Arc and Vector]? I'm bringing the car in next week for 1-month service, and will report on this issue, as well as my other minor computer problems: a homelink transmitter that doesn't work and one key/remote feature ("comfort closing") that won't work....
    I have an Arc as well, and had the stalling problem. I remember them saying something similar - that they had to let the car run for awhile, and then change a setting. Not sure exactly, but it hasn't happened in a month since they fixed it

And, from all I can tell, the comfort close will not be programmed in the US for safety/legal reasons.
  • rachinocrachinoc Member Posts: 3
    Does anyone have any suggestions for keeping the beautiful Parchment Interior looking clean?? I have never had leather before, or such a light color interior.
  • mcdermott2mcdermott2 Member Posts: 68
    I was at a dealer in Conn. and had two questions-on all the stickers that I saw they were charging for the 16" wheels($500),isn't this standard? I thought that they were not going to do this anymore. Second, the sales guy told me that the Arc seats are different then the Linear. I thought the Vector seats were the only seats that upgraded.
    The 16" wheels are a $500 option on the Linear only. They do, indeed, come standard with the Arc. And you are also correct on the seats. Only the Vector gets the sport seats. Linear & Arc are the same.
  • daley4daley4 Member Posts: 2
    Will there be another Viggen? There is a dealer down the street from me who has a used 02 Electric blue Viggen for $22,500. Is this worth the purchase, or will there be a new Viggen in the future? Thanks for your input.
  • gbriankgbriank Member Posts: 220
    Sorry to say, the Viggen is gone. Rumors are still flying about the '05 model sharing the 9x engine and transmission (2.8l V-6, dual turbo, 280 hp with 4 wheel drive). If it does become available, you can be sure it will come at a premium and in limited quantity.
  • darthm3819darthm3819 Member Posts: 3
    I'm 15 and in a couple of months I will be able to drive I wanted if anyone is this disscussion board owns a Linear with auto transmission and the driver's package and how much did they pay for it. I am also eligible for the GM discount how much is that for?
  • bigdaddycoatsbigdaddycoats Member Posts: 1,058
    models will now come with a 5spd manual. Other changes can be seen at media.gm.com and go to 2004 product information.
  • regfootballregfootball Member Posts: 2,166
    did prices go up on the 9-3 for 2004?
    MSRP: $28895
    GM discount: $3359-
    Cap Cost: $25536

Purchase: $425.60
    (assuming 60 months/0% through SFS)
    Lease: ~ $330
    (36 months/15000 miles per year through SFS)

The car is cheep but where you'll get hit is insurance. While on the Saab it is a little less, it's not really noticable. Being that your only going to be 16 your going to get slammed. It would be safe to add around $200-250 to the monthly payments for insurance.

PS - For the lease, I used the money factor and residual numbers for June.
  • darthm3819darthm3819 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for replying. That price quote is over my limit though. I was thinking that I would take the driver's package out, But keep the automatic transmission. How much would this be with $8000 down and the GM discount? Also seeing as if this would be my first time buying a car I am ignorant on the subject of negotiating. What do I do to get them to bring the price down so that the car is affordable for my budget? Any advice you have would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. Ans Saab has a rebate would this still be avaliable in 2004 if not do they do it yearly?
    MSRP: $27920
    GM dsicount: $3223
    Cap Cost: $24697

Purchase: $278.28
    (assuming $8000 down, 5 years/0% through SFS. Cap Cost: $16697)

Lease: ~ $320
    (36 months/15000 miles/year through SFS)

$8000 down on this lease would not work beacuse you are not able to put more than 25% down. The above lease is figured using the June MF and residual numbers with nothing down. In general, you NEVER want to put money down, especiall when lesing. In a lease, if your car is stolen or totaled in an accident, any money that you have put down is lost. Your insurance company doesn't cover it and it is not covered by gap protection. You should keep any money you would like to put down in the bank (where it collects interest) and use it as you need it. Keep in mind whenever you put money down, you have to pay taxes on it up front. I don't know how much taxes are in your state, but here in Michigan they are 6%. If I were to put $8000 down, there would be $480 already due at signing.

When you use the GM employee discount, you do not have to negotiate the price of the car - because you are already getting a fairly low price but also because the dealer has to give you all current incentives. Saab's recient incentives (ending 6/30) for leasing were $1000 on Linear and $2000 on Arc/Vector. To my knowledge, Saab has not yet realsed current incentives for purchasing/leasing for July nor their residual and money factor numbers.

"Ans Saab has a rebate would this still be avaliable in 2004 if not do they do it yearly?"
    Saab realses their inecntives on a month to month basis. Sometimes they have no incentives, sometimes the inecntives are pretty good. If your not getting your license until 2004, I would wait to start figuring out what you can and cannot afford. Remember, new models are brought out at the start of the new year, and prices can either go up (usually the case) or go down on current models. Some models could disappear altogether. The 2004 9-3's are comming this fall and the price will increase. In your case, you may also want to look into Oldsmobile. This is supposely the last year of the phase out and by late fall, pretty good discounts should be offered. Also, you could look into getting a PEP car (if whoever in your household recieves the GM discount is a direct employee of GM).
  • gbriankgbriank Member Posts: 220
    What the heck is that?
    kpfleger said, "I have a Vector and the rattling from the doors is infuriating. Highway driving with the radio off, radio on AM, cd playing all producing rattling in both doors. I am taking the car in next week to see what they can do."

----------

I've had my car in at least twice for this, and they can never seem to fix it. The last time I was there, I went for a drive with the tech... he heard all the noises, but still couldn't fix it.

The three places I hear noise are: (1) Both doors, seems to be coming from where the lock "indicator" pops up through the plastic, (2) from within the B-pillar, from about 1-inch above where the seat belts a attached, and (3) the sunroof slide/cover (when it is open, I can hear a rattle, when it is closed, no rattle).

Really drives me nuts. I even got more angry when the cheap rental car I had last week on a business trip (Pontiac Grand AM) had less rattles than my car does!

Another thing that drives me nuts is the radio (other than just the poor quality)... if I am listening to talk radio (AM radio specifically [yet another place the Pontiac Grand AM beats out the 9-3) there is a pronounced "buzz" that comes from the speakers with certain people's words... as if the cheap speakers are hitting their limit. Ironically, music sounds OK (or shall I say "just fair", as it is fair at best) when played on the radio. I know it isn't the radio station, I tried 5 or 6 different AM stations, all have the same problem.

I wish these guys would fix this stuff. The radio is just so bad. Plus, I can't even get XM as far as I know. I'd love to get it, but there is no way for sound to get into the system (other than via an FM re-transmitter, which is a bad idea). And then, even if I did use the re-transmitter, the audio quality would most likely sound just "fair" due to the poor quality of the audio system.

Argh.
    Another thing that drives me nuts is the radio (other than just the poor quality)... if I am listening to talk radio (AM radio specifically [yet another place the Pontiac Grand AM beats out the 9-3) there is a pronounced "buzz" that comes from the speakers with certain people's words... as if the cheap speakers are hitting their limit. Ironically, music sounds OK (or shall I say "just fair", as it is fair at best) when played on the radio. I know it isn't the radio station, I tried 5 or 6 different AM stations, all have the same problem.<<

Tell me about it. Howard Stern's deep voice make the rear speakers buzz like crazy. And this is with teh 300W system. I have an appointment ina a week and a half