Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Saab 9-3 Sedan

Comments

• jack154jack154 Member Posts: 10
    The G35 is too sporty for me. I dont want all that bumpy road jarring (aka sports suspension) into my back bc of an injury I have... I desperately wanted the BMW but it KILLED my back in an extended test drive. That is why I am cross shopping some odd cars...:) . I know - jag vs saab is strange... but they were the only 2 that met my criteria in the end of it all. I hate blind spots so that ruled out the audi and volvo. Mercedes was also too hard. Nissan was the car I wanted in high school so I had to just test it out. I have spent more time test driving than any sane person.
  • mrblonde49mrblonde49 Member Posts: 626
    To answer your concern about the rain and snow: I have an '03 Arc w/ the 16" Pirelli P6 all season tires and it handled last winter perfectly. Never felt it lose contact with the road. The best car I have ever driven in the snow.
  • rocharcrocharc Member Posts: 18
    Let me echo those sentiments. I put blizzaks on all 4 corners and had no problems all winter long and in Rochester NY, we get winter and ice and slush. The car handles great. I have the Pirelli P6s on now and again the handling has been excellent
  • stefan_belgiumstefan_belgium Member Posts: 17
    First, the 2005 Saab 9-3 will have the Nav as an option.
    Jag are among my favorite cars but the X-type is not IMO as good looking as the S or XJ type.
    The 9-3 is much better looking and less ostentatious.
    The crash tests results are better on the Saab, which also has more safety features than the Jag.
    In the long run, the maintenance costs should be lower on the Saab as well
  • stefan_belgiumstefan_belgium Member Posts: 17
    One more thing, the stereo in the 2005 9-3 is much improved with a completely different unit with bose speakers.
  • 3and143and14 Member Posts: 36
    I also considered the Jag X type before leasing a 9-3 Arc, at least on paper. I think these two are naturals to cross shop myself as they tend toward luxury over sport which is not the norm in this class. However, I read at least two reviews in major automotive publications which reported major problems with their long term test X Types (particularly over heating) so I never actually got past checking it out at an auto show out of concern for the Jag's reliability. Hopefully two or three model years later this has improved somewhat.

The Jag is nice looking but its back seat is tiny and I found the front seats a bit snug. It does not strike me as an "old man's car". To me the Saab is less distinctive but quite cleanly styled, a bit more contemporary and certainly less pretentious. The Jag has a surprisingly large trunk, although the Saab's is quite adequate. If the Arc's stereo is better than the Jag's, the Jag's must be truly bad because the Saab's isn't too great. Bose would likely be a nice improvement. I can say my Arc (stock Pirelli P6 tires) tracked flawlessly in an extreme downpour with standing water on the road the other day, it felt absolutely secure. "Airy" is absolutely not a term I would use to describe it.

On other thing to consider is insurance costs. I have found the 9-3 to be a very reasonable car to insure.
  • renee_etoilerenee_etoile Member Posts: 46
    I checked the sites out and think my ipod will be riding along soon.

Also, in my opinion, the X-type exterior lacks distinction a bit too much; reminds me of a lot of Japanese cars, even Korean like the Hyundai XG.
  • new2saab1new2saab1 Member Posts: 3
    My 2003 93 is still having cold start issues even after the software upgrade. The dealer and SAAB has told me that it is due to the low alcohol content of the gas in Austin, TX and don't know of a way to fix my car.
    My car will sputter and sometimes die when it is started in the morning and some evenings.
    Anyone else having this problem?
    Anyone else getting a different excuse or the same excuse?
  • skysaabskysaab Member Posts: 32
    Sorry to hear that your car has that problem. This remind me about half year ago at one location lots of car couldn't move alone because they feul with bad stuff. You might try to find if there is anyone go to the same gas station has that kind of problem. Seek answer from gas station may be not a bad idea. anyway, just my minor idea.
  • wgretzkywgretzky Member Posts: 10
    Is the audio system/speakers updated in the 2004 linear?
    Yes. New speakers. I had one as a loaner and it's not too bad...
  • wriver82wriver82 Member Posts: 5
    Hi everyone, I just bought a 2004 9-3 Arc Convertible, pretty well loaded, Cold weather package, Xenon lights, Drivers Package. My question is that this car also came with The Parchment Package and was wondering if anyone knows what exactly is included in this besides the exterior color called Parchment Silver Metallic. Dealer says this is a limited edition for 2004
  • yaobyaob Member Posts: 5
    Will start doing some long commute(non-highway) soon and would like to find out how is the ride quality of 9-3 without the sport wheels. What about seating comfort?

thanks
    Base on your question. Share my past experience I had for 40 miles oneway (non-highway) trip between home and office. Took me about 1 hour on the road. To me those days experiences were excellent. Part of time also in the winter snow condition. Still the same excellent comfortable to me in any condition I met. I have 2003 9-3 Linear without sport package. If your trip will longer than mine, I still believe you will enjoy your everyday commute.
  • kouliokoulio Member Posts: 5
    What exactly is the 30-day service (i.e. - what do they do?). I just had mine on my '04 93 Arc and it lasted 10 minutes. The mechanic drove the car around the block, but that's only because I mentioned the clicking sound coming from the steering column. He popped the hood for a minute or so and that was it. Is this normal or has anyone had a different experience?
    The biggest thing with the 30 day is to have them program any tech2 changes you'd like (like auto lock on driveoff, for example). They may charge you afterwards (or may not) - but they are always free at 30 days
    I had my 03 Arc in for service (basically the first time in 6 months since delivery) and I got the service tech to program the comfort close feature. It actually works most of the time. It only took me a year and 2 cars to get it, but the service writer said okay and the tech just did it. Anyone else have a similar experience in the U.S. A. Previously they refused and claimed Saab USA would not let them program this feature clearly outlined in the manual.
  • wmquanwmquan Member Posts: 1,817
    Seat comfort of the 9-3 is very good, IMHO. However, everyone is built differently so you may think otherwise.

Ride comfort is another story. The 9-3 without the sport suspension still has a fairly busy ride. More so than, say, a 3-series without the sport package. It's unrefined even for a "sports sedan," and getting the sport suspension makes it significantly worse. A number of 9-3 reviews have noted this (e.g. Car & Driver, Consumer Reports).

Ride comfort is also subjective so make sure you take it for a good test drive and hit some typical roads, not just smooth highways.

Despite all this, the vehicle "feels fun" to me.
  • jlaszlojlaszlo Member Posts: 60
    Has anybody had any success in having Saab USA buy back a defective auto? I'm in the process of trying to accomplish this and am looking for tips. So far it's been a pretty luke-warm reception from Saab.

I leased a 9-3 Linear sedan the last day of May. From day 1, the radio would emit high pitched static after a few minutes behind the wheel. You can turn the radio off and then back on and it will work again for a few minutes. The working cycle gets shorter and shorter.

It's at the shop for the 4th time now. They reprogramed and replaced the radio and amp but to no avail.

Thanks
    I was successful in getting Saab to buy back my car (see message 2219) I had a lot more wrong than a bad radio. My suggestion would be to get the service department at your dealership to agree that the car is bad and then approach Saab. That was my approach and it worked. I also never really lost my temper at anyone. I got a little hot, but not over the top, very little yelling, swearing etc. Also make sure you have a complete repair history. I had the dealer print off one for me so it was all in one spot, although all of the service tickets should work.

Other than that it was pretty straight forward. I am currently driving the replacement car they gave (which is what they will do for you) and love it.

Good Luck
  • bpwrightwvbpwrightwv Member Posts: 17
    I have been considering the new Volvo S40, and even though I have not negotiated price with the dealer, I find it is not as good a value as the 9-3 (ie Saab has std items like leather, volvo does not). I have not driven the 9-3,yet. The dealer is about 1 1/2 hours away.
    Before I do, I'd like to know if there is any lag when heavy accelerating from standstill. I've read reviews and comments about the acceleration lag. My concern would be pulling out in heavy traffic, punching the accelerator, and nothing happening for a moment while traffic closes in, or worse.
    Any of you owners experience this, and how serious is it? Thanks in advance
    Yes, I feel it does have the "lag" when I hit it very hard. But in my own experience, if I want to start from 0-80, it does have the "lag" before it flying away. It did fly like in the airplane. you get to experience it. But if I only want to start from 0-40, then it does like normal car do. Feel no different. At the first coupls week I did spend time to experience how to make the right. Because soemtime I hit it too hard and it just fly out too fast than I need.
  • homerkchomerkc Member Posts: 113
    What grade of gas is required on the lower compression engine (Linear) in the 9-3? 87-89-91?
    By the way, what fuel mileage can I expect?
    Trust me, the best record I got for my 2003 linear was 78 mpg while I was cruising on local road with speed around 50 mph.
    I feed this car with grade 89 as the manual said.
  • jlaszlojlaszlo Member Posts: 60
    Went to pick up my 9-3 for the 4th time. They replaced the EHU and they swore it was fixed. About 2 miles on the road and I went deaf from the radio static.

This time I took it to the sales manager's office with the radio in all it's static glory. He called Saab legal and was told the service dept gets one more crack at it or I get a new car.

They're replacing the entire radio/Onstar system. Should take another week. Not to worry though, I'm enjoying the 9-2X Aero loaner car.
  • eye90eye90 Member Posts: 2
    I am really at a loss to understand Saab’s “buy back” logic. My 2003 Linear SS has pulled to the left and has been out of service for a total of 26 days since I took delivery in Jan 03. After 5 unsuccessful repair attempts for the pulling problem and 9 visits total for all problems (including starting problems resulting in the steering column and several electronics modules being replaced), Saab and the service manager at the dealership continue to maintain that the pulling is normal, even though the master technician told me the pulling wasn’t normal, and I have driven several loaner cars that don’t pull.

In March of this year, I requested arbitration via the NYS Lemon Law to get a replacement vehicle. My arbitration hearing was held on 6/22. On 6/29, I received notification of a decision IN MY FAVOR. After not hearing from anybody for 3 weeks I called Saab last week and was told that they would be appealing the decision. They insist that the pulling is normal, even though the pulling was clearly evident during the test drive at my arbitration hearing. I don’t understand why they are playing hardball with me. I just want my car to behave like it should.

I’ve read several posts on this forum about Saab buying back cars. Has anyone else had as much trouble as I have ? Has anyone had to defend a Lemon Law decision in court ?
  • hbc75hbc75 Member Posts: 37
    Where did you find out the information on the 2005 Saab? I have been searching, and have come up empty.
  • cooklawcooklaw Member Posts: 7
    Lag is real! I just test drove one this wk in Ohio. In my opinion its very dangerous. I drove the arc w manual. Takes a full second or so to go anywhere in first gear. Dealer said it may the the turbo lag to kick in.
  • hokie4lifehokie4life Member Posts: 2
    I am in the market for a sports sedan around $35k. I have driven the Acura TL and TSX, IS 300, the new Volvo S40, the Maxima, and at the end of the day I am in love with the Saab 9-3.

My question is what changes will be made for the 2005 9-3? Should I wait for the 2005 models to come out or search a 2004 model with all the options I want?
  • starbirdstarbird Member Posts: 38
    The local dealer told me that there wasn't any major changes.

Paul
    The major change is that the '05 will have Navigation available in US. And 3 new colors. Full details here:
    http://media.gm.com:8221/division/2005_prodinfo/saab/9-3/
  • hokie4lifehokie4life Member Posts: 2
    The major change will be Navigation but they are also getting rid of the 6-speed manual and replacing it with a 5-speed manual in the U.S. Have there been problems with this transmission? Why get rid of the 6-speed in the U.S.????
  • dhanleydhanley Member Posts: 1,531
    I used to have a '97 900 SE turbo. I currently have a 328i. Both, IMO, need snow tires, perhaps the SE turbo even moreso.

How does an ARC do with all-seasons, such as the ones it comes with? With snow tires, the 328i is pretty good in the snow, but swapping tires is a bit of a pain, and those same tires are pretty poor in the rain--i got into a pretty bad hydroplaning skid this last spring.
    I would like to share spme of my experiences. I have leaner with all season tires on it. Mosr of time driven in Chicago area all year ariund since november 2002. I feel pretty confident on this car performance on ice and snow condition. Some of time I feel it handles better than my other car with real time AWD funtion on the similar road condition. From I heard and read in the forum, all season tires are good for all season not need for other snow tires. Hope this help.
    Here is my story. I sent in service for break issue. After check up, there is no problem for breaking system, need to replace break pads and roters costs me a fortune. While they were testing the break, they found there is problem in steering wheel, it solves the question I always have in my head about the wierd crack sound while cold start or turning. It's coverd under warrenty and dealer service dept. said this is the first time they ever see the problem in steering wheel.
    It's still drivable but do need to replace the problem parts.
    If you have ever hear some wierd crack sound come from your steerling wheel, better send them to check up. It's not easy to catch it while doing regular oil change, need to be driven out for testing.
  • hbc75hbc75 Member Posts: 37
    You say it's a cracking sound? I noticed a lot of road noise while driving, and felt what I thought was maybe the power steering (that noise you get when you turn the wheel all the way), but I then just attributed it to the road. Does anyone else seem to get a lot of road noise from the tires the car comes with, the Pirelli 6 (they are known to be good distributor). I have had them on other cars before and liked them. Any suggestions for lowering road noise, or just turn the stereo up? My first road trip under 1,000 miles I got between 29-30 mpg, and got 31 this past weekend. That seems good.
  • wmquanwmquan Member Posts: 1,817
    I had a muted "click" when my steering wheel passed the center point (turning right or left). I could feel the "click" through the wheel too.

For this specific problem, there is a TSB out. Something about a coupling that is fixed by adhesive (!). Dealer fixed it under warranty.
    Yes, it got fixed by dealer. Let me write down the problem written by service dept.---" Clunk from steering column during turns play on shaft" the solution---" Tighten bolts per bulletin - replace steering shaft."
    Now the problem seems gone but I feel bit heavier than used to be.
  • cwpostcwpost Member Posts: 11
    Hey, I have heard that there is a hidden $3K incentive or rebate on the 03 9-3. Has anyone taken advantage of this recently? If so can you give me some information about prices paid with rebate included. Thanks.
  • needashaveneedashave Member Posts: 91
    Hello to everyone,

Its been a while since I've been on this forum. My 2003 ARC with very minor exception has been great, this after 20,000 miles. Make no mistake, this is a very sophisticated car, and I bought in to the first year release and the annoyances that come with it. I'm here to say that those annoyances were far less than I expected, and today, my ARC is very "dialed in".

Based on performance, appearance and overall value, I highly recommend this car. Do not let any ranting on this site about the car's stereos sway your buying decision. Peace.
  • 3and143and14 Member Posts: 36
    I have a 2004 Arc with the factory all seasons and it was absolutely fine last winter in the snow. Although, granted, it wasn't much of a winter here in Chicago.
  • dcurtis1dcurtis1 Member Posts: 2
    I tried to order a 2005 9-3 Linear through the military program, but they deleted auto-climate as an option, no more head lamp washers as part of the cold weather, body sills are not available in body color (only black), and no fog lights. To many changes so I bought a 2004 Arc they had available. Everything except xenon, park assist, and sport wheel package for $29,700.
  • chalkpiechalkpie Member Posts: 21
    Congrads.

Arc is better, anyway!
  • p63p63 Member Posts: 5
    My 2001 9-3 is in the shop again (3rd time having it towed off the side of the road in 3.5 years). Anyway, I'm just now within 6 months of lease end and I want to know what your options have been during the same time period. Does Saab offer customer loyalty options for early lease end? My car has almost 47k with just under 6 months to go. With the experience I've had with this car, I don't want to have it without factory warrenty. Thanks in advance.
  • escpodescpod Member Posts: 1
    I test drove a 9-3 Arc and when I went through the communications panel on the dash there was a Bluetooth setting.

I've searched for information regarding what, if anything, can be done with this in the US, but can't seem to find anything. The dealer assures me there isn't Bluetooth on the car, but I have read on-line that the Bluetooth is there but activated only with a Saab phone. I've also read that it requires On-Star to function.

Any help would be appreciated.

BSL
  • jessicas93jessicas93 Member Posts: 1
    03 9-3
    10,000 miles
    Already has a new battery because, according to the dealer "SAAB batteries don't do very well in South Florida heat"
    Radio won't work, onstar won't work, can't change seat memory, and now the check engine light is on
    Is this car just a bad egg?
  • exalteddragon1exalteddragon1 Member Posts: 729
    If i were in your shoes I'd bring a digital recorder with me and talk to the dealer. I cannot be sure, but what he told you sounds like BS, and here is why:
        SAAB is a GM brand, and uses many GM components, I would not doubt it if SAAB's battery was shared with cars its related to, like the Malibu and the new G6. I personally do not know if this is true but its so obvious to spread the costs around, you know?
        There are many GM's in florida i bet, and I have not heard of battery problems there (I'm in NY but it would be a prevalent issue on the boards).
        You could play your recording back to GM and see if they deal with this dealer. SAAB is a critical brand for GM, and so they would be inclined to take action.
        I hope this works out for you, sorry I couldn't help you more. I just love the 9-3, having driven it myself I loved the drive more than any other car I have ever driven.
        So, if anyone interested in the 2006(?) 9-3 w/navigation and 2.8L VVT Turbo V6 with 250hp/258 lb-ft of torque? I mean to me the car seemed fast (stop and go) with the 170hp ecotec, oh man I can't wait till this little guy gets all that power! It could be known as the Mega Man of sport sedans :-D
    http://www.edmunds.com/news/regularnews/articles/103106/article.h- - tml?tid=edmunds.h..wkedmunds.headlines.2.*
  • bigdaddycoatsbigdaddycoats Member Posts: 1,058
    The 9-3 turbo 2.8 should rock.
  • melissa99mmelissa99m Member Posts: 7
    Hello all.

I have a 2004 9-3 Aero. I replaced the tires it came with and put on Continental ExtremeContact all seasons. It seems as though I lose air constantly in all tires. Every time I check them they're between 37 and 39psi. Also, whatever system the car has in place to alert me on underinflated tires is all out of whack. My question is this: do I inflate these tires to the recommended pressure found on the inside of the driver's side door (41psi) or do I use the recommendation on the actual tire itself (44psi)? Has anyone else had trouble with the tire pressure sensors?

Thanks.
  • ephemereephemere Member Posts: 4
    New crash test results posted yesterday:

"The better performers among vehicles that earn good ratings are designated 'best picks.' The Saab 9-3, which also earned a 'best pick' designation in the Institute's frontal offset crash test, is the first car to earn this designation in both front and side crash tests. It's a 'double best pick.'"

http://www.iihs.org/news_releases/2004/pr100304.htm

Perhaps this will help get the 9-3 some of the attention it deserves. One of the many reasons I chose the 9-3 was that it is the safest car available.