Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Saab 9-3 Sedan

Comments

• Options
    go8go8 Member Posts: 58
    Maybe the car was signalling that a new Pope was chosen. ;)

Go8
  • Options
    saaboysaaboy Member Posts: 23
    I remember the 9-3 hatch... the base model had very GMish plastic interior, and the SE was better interior. Is it still the same idea wit 9-3 sedan? And how come SAAB is calling their 9-3 wagon Sport Combi? Are they trying to sound like they are keeping their Swedish ties alive?
  • Options
    robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    And how come SAAB is calling their 9-3 wagon Sport Combi? Are they trying to sound like they are keeping their Swedish ties alive?

The term "wagon" isn't in vogue. People would rather buy an Avant, Variant, Sport Cross, Sport Combi, Touring, et al.
  • Options
    Then how about the 9-5? They call that "sport wagon" now. GM/SAAB is neglecting the 9-5. Soon the 9-3 will have same hp but a bigger engine..................
  • Options
    bigdaddycoatsbigdaddycoats Member Posts: 1,058
    The Sportcombi looks sweet. I am afraid that the 2.8 model will approach $40k.

As far as the 9-5 goes, I believe there will be a refresh for the 2006 model year with an all new model based on the next generation Epsilon platform for 2007.
  • Options
    dhanleydhanley Member Posts: 1,531
    when i drove the 9-3, i thought, "nice car, but not enought of a reason to sell my car. Now, if it were a hatch like my old saab..."
  • Options
    vexatiousvexatious Member Posts: 3
    I just signed papers on a new (still at the Port) '05 Arc with manual transmission, heated seats, metallic paint and moonroof for 27,000 (buying, not leasing; not including tax and documentation fee). I can stil cancel the deal. Please let me know whether you think that this is a decent deal. The MSRP is 33,150, invoice is 30,811.

Let me say that I don't envy the job of salesmen. I had two salesmen who were directly competing for my business. I qualified my negotiations with each of them by telling them that I felt some sort of obligation to the other (which I did), and that no matter what they put on paper, I was going to give the other guy an opportunity to beat it. Price started at just over 30. After two afternoons of negotiation, I had the price down to 27,500. I continued going back and forth with each of them and ended up at 27K. I liked both guys (granted, it's their job to be likeable) and in the end, opted for the lower price and my estimation that one of the dealers was likely to provide a higher quality of service than the other. That 'winning' dealer also provided a 10 yr extended power train warranty and free annual detailing for the term of my ownership of the car.

In the end, I believed that I could have held out until Sunday (tomorrow, and the end of the April business month) for a price of $26,500 (my target price all along). Except that I believed that I had already eaten a substantial portion of the dealer's hold-back and started to feel uncomfortably greedy.

My reasoning on the price was (i) 3500 in factory incentives (taking the price down to 28,800), (ii) the car is 8 months old (I think that the '05s came out in August of '04) and hence the price should reflect partial 8 month depreciation (only partial 8 months because the car has not actually been driven during the last 8 months) which further reduced my target price to 26K even but (iii) the dealer needs to make something (i.e. the dealer cannot give up all of his hold-back and some of the depreciation is captured by some of the 3500 incentive; price back up to 26,500).

My worry is that I may be a sap and really should have held out. Further, that lots of people are buying '05 Arcs for substantially less. Please let me know.
  • Options
    tomwtomw Member Posts: 31
    I leased a 2003 9-3 Linear. Horrible stereo - I'm reduced to listening only to talk radio on AM, don't even listen to music for with this system it's like the proverbial fingernails on a chalkboard.

Complained to SAAB soon after delivery. They politely said, in effect, "go pound sand." Since then numerous squeeks and rattles, and electrical glitches.

It's painfully clear that GM has ratcheted SAAB quality way down to GM levels.

Ten months left on my lease, then I can ditch it and get a car with at lease average quality AND will be able to listen to music again!

Too bad, SAAB could have been a contender against Volvo ... but obviously GM has decided to turn it into a brand of nothing more than low quality, badge-engineered GM vehicles.
  • Options
    Hmmm... IMHO reducing price that much is a great accomplishment. I would never be able to push dealers that much. But otherwise, I think that's a good price. At the end of your message, did you mean other people ARE getting their Arcs for less, or that you're worried that other people might be getting them for even less?
  • Options
    gbofrngbofrn Member Posts: 3
    Vex-

I haven't finished negotiating yet and don't recall exactly what the overall price came out to, but the 36 month 12K mi lease price they offerred was $397/mo (zero down). The model they had in stock didn't have a sun roof. The only option included was heated seats.

For the price you got, did you end up doing any financing at all or did you just pay cash?

Also, were you choosing between any other cars? I am still considering the Audi A4, but the price there was $421/mo.

Thanks,
    Gary
  • Options
    myobmyob Member Posts: 53
    I agree the Linear stereo is poor. But didn't you test it out before leasing a car?
    It's asking a lot for them to replace/upgrade a stereo that is functioning because you didn't bother to try it out earlier.

You haven't driven a GM car if you think the 9-3 is down to that level. Not that many other GM Cars are among the safest and highest performers in all crash tests. Not many Cavaliers make 90mph on the highway feel like you're going 60. And not many have seats as comfortable as the 9-3.

You lease a near-lux sedan, which is an expensive way to drive a car, even with incentives on them. Yet your main reason for ditching it seems to be a stereo system that you could have affordably upgraded if you owned the car. Certainly for much less than what you'll be wasting by leasing a new car every 2 years. Interesting. There is no magic math that makes leasing cost less than buying and holding a vehicle for a few more years, then selling it yourself.

The 9-3 isn't perfect. I could pick it apart. Fwd, turbo lag, some interior materials, even rear styling. But it's been a more satisfying and trouble free vehicle than either of the two much more expensive BMW's we've owned.

Rattles annoy you? Try broken door handles and cup holders, broken window regulators, broken coolant guages, tire problems, catalytic converter failures, gauge cluster failure needing replacement, notchy 6 speed transmission shifting, and a DOA condition that required a tow. The $50,000 plus (in 1998 and '97) cars were worse. And just about any brand will go tell you to pound sand if you complain about stereo quality.

If you want a nice affordable appliance type vehicle that won't rattle too much and has a stereo, try an Accord. You'll be boring and feel bored, but you will get your needs met. Or shovel out antoher $10,000-$15,000 and get a Lexus GS or Mercedes E class. But before you do, go check Mercedes' reliablity records lately.

The current 9-3 is overpriced for what it delivers (w/o discounts and incentives). But you can get a safe, nice looking, good handling, reasonably refined, pretty cool car for under $30,000. In a time when the "bargain" Acura TL and Infiniti G35 drive out for over $35,000, it's an option.

It's all about getting your expectations in line. Cars are much more complex than the '83 Toyota we all want to compare them to, the one we never had a problem with. They have to pack in all this complexity (airbags, stability control, abs, trac control, fancy stereo controls, emission controls, etc) that they didn't have to deal with in the past.

I would buy a stripper sport sedan if they sold one, to avoid all the hassles of electronic problems and keep the cost invested in engineering where it counts. But they don't. People don't want simple and good, they want fancy doo dads. Doo dads break.

I don't like rattles either. But I either fix them myself (it's just common sense and testing) or live with them if the dealer can't handle it. Most people who can't stand rattles, I find that they have never had the lovely experience of being broken down on the side of the road at night 15 miles from the nearest expressway off-ramp. You appreciate your 'low quality" car a little more when you realize that it actually runs pretty well.
  • Options
    drspencedrspence Member Posts: 14
    For those who've been posting issues with the 9-3 sound systems, I am curious:

Is this for the standard 150W unit, or for the 300W prestige sound system they offer as an option?

And are these problems with the 2005 model, or for earlier model years?

Any help would be appreciated.
  • Options
    ilya74ilya74 Member Posts: 1
    Is there a way to connect an external MP3 player to Linear's standard stereo other then one of those frequency jokes? I live in NYC so i can forget about getting a clear signal. I know this is something that is standard on Arc. Is there AUX port somewhere - maybe on the back of cd player?
  • Options
    mrblonde49mrblonde49 Member Posts: 626
    You can get it installed at the dealer, or buy the cable and run it yourself. Either way, the dealer has to enable it in the software
  • Options
    jdizzyjdizzy Member Posts: 1
    Hi everybody,

How long does it take to get a new car once you order it? I would like to get an '05 Arc and was curious as to whether they are still shipping this model and how long it takes.

Thank you.
  • Options
    stitchiemostitchiemo Member Posts: 3
    So far no resolution - items so far replaced in 3 separate workshop visits - coolant expansion tank, water pump, turbo charger and head gasket! Pressure tests and UV tracer have found nothing. They are still investigating, frankly I sense that they have no clue what was causing the fluid drop and was changing parts :confuse: in trial and error!
  • Options
    hbc75hbc75 Member Posts: 37
    Okay, so this morning I got in my car, and what pops on? The coolant light.... what the heck is that? :confuse: I just had the car serviced less than two weeks ago, and it needs coolant? I am becoming a permanent fixture at the dealership...

By the way, does anyone know if wiper blades are covered in the wear and tear 1 year warranty? I just paid to replace them, and didn't know where to find that info...

tyia
  • Options
    esfoadesfoad Member Posts: 210
    We just had them change the wiper blades and they covered them under the one-year warranty.
  • Options
    spruesprue Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a '05 9-3 that was one of the dealer's loaner cars. I'm really impressed with it it only cost me a little bit more than a Jetta but I feel that I'm getting a whole lot more out of it. :D
  • Options
    drspencedrspence Member Posts: 14
    Does anybody have knowledge on the setup and operation of the hands-free phone set up offered on the 9-3's? How does it work if your car has the prewiring?

I'm assuming it's not Bluetooth, there's no mention of it anywhere. So, is there a list of compatible phones / providers?

And is there a cradle for the handset, located in center console perhaps?

Thanks!
  • Options
    bcoolbcool Member Posts: 59
    No white smoke? Then it's not the head gasket. If you sometimes smell the sweet aroma of antifreeze in the cab while you're driving, then it might be the heater core. A leaky water pump would show signs a coolant leak.
  • Options
    stlcarguystlcarguy Member Posts: 30
    According to SaabUSA.com any 9-3 Linear manufactured after Jan '05 will have the same AUX input that was previously only availabe on the Arc and Aero. Hope this helps!
  • Options
    stitchiemostitchiemo Member Posts: 3
    chanced upon the following recall info from the U.S. NHTSA. Have no idea what that vacuum pipe check valve is and if cars in other countries are affected. Might be wise to check with your wksp.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/RepositoryFiles.cfm?module=RECALLS&IfsDocId=05V- 236
  • Options
    j009j009 Member Posts: 1
    Hi I signed paper for a new Linear myself but are paying more than what you did. You mentioned that you are able to cancel the deal. I haven't taken possesion of the vehicle and I would like to cancel the deal. I went back to the dealer to cancel in less than a few minutes after I signed the purchase order but he said that the car was on its way and I would have to follow through. I think he is lying and the car is still probably on the dock. Is there any legal way that I can cancel or should I just stop payment on my check?

Tx. :sick:
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    You might want to ask the knowledgeable folks hanging out in Any Questions for a Car Dealer? - you should mention what state you are in.
  • Options
    jspearsjspears Member Posts: 9
    Hi Everyone,

I have some questions about leasing a Saab 9-3 Linear. I have been looking at a couple of dealerships already and at the latest one, this sales person seemed to give me some interesting deal (or is it?).

And here is what this sales guy quoted me:

SAAB Linear 9-3 with a manual transmission and a moonroof in a metallic paint

MSRP: 29295
    Sales price: 26665 (with the GM employee discount price)
    Rebates: 3500 (in addition to the discount price)
    RV: 39%
    MF: 0.0015
    Term: 48 mo
    No down payment, no upfront money, just the first monthly payment
    Monthly payment = $345

Does this seem like a good deal? Compared to the one I got from other sales reps previously, this looks better. What do you experts think? Thanks a bunch for you opinions.

JS
  • Options
    lacarbuyer1lacarbuyer1 Member Posts: 1
    I just test drove a 2005 9-3 Linear this wknd. I was looking at the automatic transmission, with moonroof, CD, leather seats. I did not sit too long with the salesman on pricing but he basically told me he could get me into that car under $300 a month lease (around $265 plus tax) with $3,oo - $3,500 down.
    So based on your no money down offer - I would guess the price should be about $30-$35 higher than what I was quoted. That is for a THREE YEARL lease though. I am not sure I would recommend a 4 yr lease.

This test drive was in Santa Monica, CA.
    I am not sure where you are but the guy I met seemed decent.
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    for opinions on leasing specifics is one of our hosts, Car_man, in the Lease Questions - Ask Here discussion.
  • Options
    jspearsjspears Member Posts: 9
    I'm in So Cal as well. Yes, I was quoted a price in that ball park also. And a 3-yr and 4-yr lease, I think, would make some difference as MF and RV will need to be taken into account.
  • Options
    bsuttonbsutton Member Posts: 1
    My wife purchased a 2005 9-3 Arc in April. The dealer has been working hard to find a way to utilize the hands free option for a cell phone that was part of a $1700 option. The car is hardwired with speakers and a microphone and we had the dealer install the mounting bracket and wiring for a hands free "cradle" that was supposed to be available from your cell phone manufacturers. Well, they aren't. The dealer service writer (Ron Carter in Alvin, TX) has been working very hard trying to help us. He has contacted SAAB and has talked to other SAAB dealers and even BMW dealers. This seems to be a common problem. We decided to let them install a blue-tooth cell phone system, but then found out that it will not be able to use the existing speaker and microphone installed by SAAB as part of the option package. This is very bad public relations for SAAB and the dealer. I was told once on the phone when I called SAAB, "I'm sorry, I don't know what to tell you". No one ever said, "I don't know, but I will find out." I believe we were one of Ron Carters first SAAB customers.

It seems they owe us a refund or something for selling an expensive option that we cannot use. My wife chose this car over (our third) Subaru Outback, because the SAAB had more comfortable seats. She now wishes that she had bought the Subaru instead of the SAAB. Our next step is to see an attorney and see if we can get someone to do something. I have never had such a bad experience with any car purchase before. Thanks, GM. It's been a pleasure doing business with you.. Just don't look for us in any of your showrooms again.
  • Options
    It's not Saab's fault that the cradles aren't available from your particular phone company. It's a simple connection that requires a compatible phone. Either you have one or you don't. And this option probably makes up 10% of the cost of the package, so don't throw around "expensive option that we cannot use." This is what you get w/ the package:
    red-walnut trim, Driver's-side 3-position memory, power windows with express up and down and remote opening, auto-dimming mirror with integrated garage door opener and compass, 6-disc in-dash CD changer, wiring for hands-free phone, Saab Park Assist System, and rain-sensing windshield wipers.

Does the Outback even offer this feature? I don't see it on their website...
  • Options
    mrjjgittesmrjjgittes Member Posts: 156
    Got one about 10 days ago. Really liking this car. Great deal under the new GM pricing. The 99 Accord I traded was a great car, but going european this time is a lot of fun.
  • Options
    collins93collins93 Member Posts: 2
    While the dealer is servicing my '04 93 (fan and lock), they gave me a loaner car, which is also an '04 93. The ride seems less harsh and smoother, particularly over minor bumps or cracks in the road. Is this my imagination, or could it have a different suspension/shocks or something else that makes this so?
  • Options
    The easy answer would be that you have the Aero, which has a sporty suspension that wouldn't take bumps as smoothly as the Linear, which most loaners are. But if you have a Linear too, maybe you have the 17" or 16" wheels and the loaner has 15", which would provide a bit more cushion...Or maybe your tires are under inflated a bit? If none of these things is the case, I would tell the service mgr - maybe you have a bad shock or some other suspension component
  • Options
    collins93collins93 Member Posts: 2
    Many thanks, I should have given that info. I have the Linear, and the loaner is a Linear, as well. I did not put any special tires when I bought it 3 months ago.
    I'll check the tire inflation, and then talk with them.
  • Options
    Your linear may have come with 16" wheels I believe it was Still a $500 option for the 04's. Your Linear loaner may have 15" or 16". 16"s are now standard. Check the sidewalls. That could be the difference...
  • Options
    got_vtecgot_vtec Member Posts: 22
    I went to the local Saab dealer looking for something sporty, but I guess the salesman didn't think I'd be that interested in the 9-3. I'm used to driving a manual-shift Prelude, which handles very well, and is reasonably fast. I don't really need something faster than that, but I would like something that still handles pretty well.

So, I guess my question is, how does the Aero handle? Above, I read some comments how the 9-3 isn't quite up to the standards of the 325i, yet the price is pretty close -- normally. Now, the incentives seem to be really good. I'm now thinking I should look into the 9-3 more, but I really don't know much about it.
  • Options
    Oh, by the way, someone mentioned extra incentives. Looking it up on this web site, I don't see anything except financing incentives. Although, the employee pricing seems pretty significant.
  • Options
    Go drive one.

The 9-3 is FWD and won't handle quite as well as a RWD 3 series, but it does handle very well and about as good as any FWD car.

An Aero under $28K is a steal, IMO
  • Options
    dhanleydhanley Member Posts: 1,531
    Well, i drive a non-sport '97 3-series, and i test drove a 9-3 aero about a year ago. My feeling is that the aero handles not-quite as good as the non-sport 3, and the ride is a little harsher. However, the 9-3 is quieter However, that is not bad, as the 3 is usually considered the benchmark and all that. Of course, the prelude is a great handler as well. I think you'll find the turn-in a little slow, and you'll miss the ability to put down power during turns. It also won't be quite as quick off the line as your prelude. However, it also has great space inside, excellent passing power, and a lot of standard features for 28K.

dave
  • Options
    530ir1150r530ir1150r Member Posts: 263
    I think they were talking about GM credit card rebates. I believe you build up possible rebates at 5% of purchases to either $500 or $700 a year for either 7 years or 5 years, $3500 max.
  • Options
    Thanks for the responses. I called the dealer back, but they didn't have any Aero models in stock, and started telling me how much more expensive it was really going to be than $28k. I don't have much patience for the run-around, but by the time I make it to another city, the employee pricing will be over, so I think I'm going to miss this opportunity. :-(

About the Prelude putting down power during turns, don't forget, it's FWD too, so it does have its limitations.
  • Options
    beertaps25beertaps25 Member Posts: 1
    I also have a 93 arc I also read the window and it said that it was hard wired for hands free phone. When the dealer in Seattle said that it does not work in the US, I let them know that it was unacceptable! They contacted SAAB in EUROPE and found out the the new NOKIA 6620 phone will work with the system. they positioned a cradle holder and I am waiting for the cradle from Nokia. They assure me that it will work through the speakers and microphones in the car . I will find out!
  • Options
    saab93aerosaab93aero Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a 9-3 Aero, and I am having the same problem. The dealer in TN has no idea how to set it up. Any information you get will be appreciated. Please keep me informed through this message board.
  • Options
    renee_etoilerenee_etoile Member Posts: 46
    Hello Everyone:

I need some work done on my bumper; unfortunately, while i was away for a few months someone rammed into the car and bolted. I don't want to get my insurance involved as of right now as my deductibles are high. I have the car in laser red, and feel a bit weary about the paint match-up. If anyone knows an honest and reliable body-shop near/in Chicago please let me know.

Happy 4th o' July.

-renee-
  • Options
    philpvillephilpville Member Posts: 5
    I have an '03 Linear. I listened to the stereo before buying and thought it was awful. I spoke to my dealer who recommended that we go to a local car stereo store, who installed "crossovers" for the front speakers. This cost was about $200, which we added to the price of the vehicle. It was a very substantial fix. Gave much more punch and boost to the front speakers. The rear ones are still poor, but the good sound up front more than makes up for this.

I agree that the stereo is disappointing but I'm here to say that it's fixable. I listen to CDs all the time and a good stereo is important to me. Talk to a car stereo guy and he should be able to set you right.
  • Options
    skysaabskysaab Member Posts: 32
    Hi, I am not sure is this information is going to be ok to post here. share my experiences. My 03'9-3 hit by other car and big animal twice. changed bumper twice, all coverd by insurance. cost est. $1500
    It's all been taking care by "Cars Collision Center" at Naperville. You will find its address and phone number from internet search. They did excellent job. honest and fast. They are actually offical bodyshop for AAA insurance at south/west chicago area. Hope this helps. :)
  • Options
    futuresaabmanfuturesaabman Member Posts: 1
    My presence here may be a bit premature, but I most certainly am going to be aquiring a new saab in the not so distant future. I am just waiting for my sentence, a.k.a lease to be up. It is a long story. In any case, I am here to meet people that have spent time behind the wheel of the 9-3. I have enjoyed reading the many posts and have been given an education on the issues sourrounding this car. Now, to my question. Does anyone have any info on the future of the 9-3? I will be leasing in approx. 3 years and I would imagine that what is available now will not be available in the future. Are there any plans for a redesign or phase out? I know the 9x and the 9-3x are in the works, but none seem to be comparable to the current 9-3. The biggest and most obvious difference is the two doors instead of four. I hope that Saab keeps this model moving ahead as it is a great car from what I know about it. :) Anyway, I would love to here anything you have to say on this and thanks for your thoughts
  • Options
    cosanostracosanostra Member Posts: 91
    I've been reading this forum for a bit and haven't seen this posted, so I thought I'd ask. Does anyone know when the SportCombi is supposed to come out? The Saab website indicates that its coming soon, but I haven't heard anything other than that. Does anyone have information on this?
  • Options
    As far as I know, there are no plans to make the 9-x or 9-3x, or any other coupe at this point. What is coming out is the 9-3 Sportcombi in the fall (very sharp looking sport wagon). Also ciming out is the Crossover based on the Subie Tribeca (I thinjk next year sometimes). The 9-3 is adding a new turbo V6 for the 2006 model year on Aero models, which looks like a real nice engine. I believe that there are no other big changes due for the 9-3 until the 2009 model year redesign, which means in 3 years you'll be looking at getting a great deal on an outgoing model or getting into the brand new one...