Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Saab 9-3 Sedan

Comments

• saablcpsaablcp Member Posts: 195
    Here's the scoop on the '06 9-3.Linear and Arc designations morphing into one model designation...2.0T Sport sedan,210 H.P. engine std.. Other std.features to include: Body colored side molding and door handles,std.climate control A.C.,std.power driver seat,wood effect interior trim, '05 Linear style alloy wheel replacing Arc style alloy wheel,L.C.D. Infotainment audio screen std.(base 150 watt audio system).Nav system drops in price to $1,995.00.Sun-roof and Auto.Trans continue at same option price as '05.Prem pkg.upgrade incl.red walnut trim,pwr.pass.seat,xenon headlights,express up/down windows w/remote opening sunroof and windows,fog lights,in-dash 6 disc changer,13 speaker 300 watt audio.pkg.price @ $1895.Now the really interesting part M.S.R.P. with everything but Nav.system is $32,165,which is less than $ 400 more than an '05 linear with A.T.,S.R.,and Prem.Pkg. Sport combi prices in at $ 1,000 more.
    Aero has 250 H.P.,2.8 Liter turbo 6,choice of 6 speed man.or optional 6 spd auto .trans.,xenons std.,6 disc chgr.std.Touring pkg.@$1195 incl.rain sensing wipers,rear park assist,memory seat and mirrors,multi function rear view mirror ,with garage opener,auto-dim and compass.Loaded automatic @ M.S.R.P. of $36,265.00,Sport -combi @ $1,000 higher.
    2 new colors....Jet Black Metallic and Fusion Blue.
    Availability mid to late Sept.
  • saaboysaaboy Member Posts: 23
    About the 9X and 9-3X concepts... They lead up to the 9-3 sport combi and I guess they just ended. The 9-3 wagon is coming out in a couple of months but they will probably delay it as usual. The 2.8L turbo V6, as far as I know, is a GM engine which was thrown at a couple of SAAB engineers to be tweaked. They put a 0.6 BAR turbo in it.About 8-9 PSI. I think even though that's a good turbo for stock, it would make more than 250 HP it the engine itself was proper. For ex. look at the 9-5 engine compared to the new v6. Its an inline4 instead of v6. Its 2.3L instead of 2.8L. So it's smaller and I don't think it has a more powerful turbo. This V6 is still MUCH better than the 3.0L v6 that htey put in the 9-5 cupl years bak,,, that one only produced 200 little ponies... But I don't think anything about a new 9-3. I was hoping the model that was gonna replace the current 9-2X would be a REAL saab. I was thinking of a newer 900? Hehe, a REAL SAAB classic revived.... that would be nice...
  • dhanleydhanley Member Posts: 1,531
    Supposedly the saab engineers had a hand in the design of the v6. It's gm's "global" engine.

I'm sure it's producing "only" 250hp because the car is still FWD, and doesn't have a very heavy front end. If it was much more powerful, it'd just end up spinning the front tires. That 258lb-ft of torque is tasty though.

I picture a AWD viggen model, producing, say 320hp, 320lb-ft, hitting 60 in around 5 seconds.

dave
  • saaboysaaboy Member Posts: 23
    I like how they call it "global", instead of , well whatever... Yea it would spin the tires, but how front heavy do you want it? Ain't it something like 60-40? i think that enuf...
    Im surprised that the V6 did have 258ft lbs, that doesnt sound bad, EXACT same as 9-5 aero.
    That AWD viggen ur talking about sounds very yummy :P
  • renee_etoilerenee_etoile Member Posts: 46
    Thank you very much- that sounds like the best deal I've heard yet. How the heck did an animal hit your car? In any case, sorry to hear you had to fix your car but thank you for the info.

-renee-
  • dhanleydhanley Member Posts: 1,531
    "Yea it would spin the tires, but how front heavy do you want it? Ain't it something like 60-40? i think that enuf... "

I don't want it front heavy at all! It's 54/46 if i recall correctly--fantastic balance for a FWD car. The old 9-3 was way too front heavy. I'm just saying there's not much point* in adding more power until they have AWD.

*(they could add more power for the higher gears, 300lb-ft would be great for those 3rd gear passing manouevers.)

dave
  • mmason2mmason2 Member Posts: 2
    I'm not a regular reader here, but was wondering if anyone has recommendations on replacement tires for my 9-3 Aero convertible. My original factory tires will be just about gone by end of summer.

I live in a warm climate, and have always been a Michelin guy, but am open to suggestions.
  • msmudmsmud Member Posts: 1
    saablcp,
    Thanks for the info on 2006 model changes. Can you give me the MSRP/invoice for the 2006 base model 9-3 with manual transmission? How do you calculate the final cost of an 06 base model, manual, with metallic paint, and premium package as the only options? Do you get the sense that this car's sales are successful enough in the US for it to continue given GM's troubles, or is it likely to be phased out. Thanks for your help
    Tim
  • bigdaddycoatsbigdaddycoats Member Posts: 1,058
    base price - $26,620

with manual, paint and premium - $29,065

this is according to cars.com - they have 06 pricing available.

It also appears that the 210hp engine is now the standard engine with the new 2.8 turbo V6 being the Aero.
  • shihanbshihanb Member Posts: 17
    I just bought a new 9-3 linear sedan with a manual transmission. The discount was phenomenal when the employee discount was added to the $2K incentives. Question for 9-3 linear owners. Is there anything I should watch out for or do with a new 9-3 when I pick it up and drive for the first several months? The assistance of wise experienced owners solicited :)
  • autobarnautobarn Member Posts: 3
    This is very 'all of a sudden', but I happened to walk into a Saab dealer, and walked out with a 9-3. I just couldn't resist all the incentives and promotions on the car. I really had my heart set on the Audi A3, but a visit to the dealer confirmed that the car is too NEW for the lease numbers to be favorable. Hence I just figured I'd buy one.

But then after hearing about the GM employee pricing and $4k lease incentives, I decided to check out a 9-3 Linear. Drove nice, the wife liked it, more space than the A3 inside. I thought it might be underpowered, but I'd say it's acceptable. Here's the deal I got:

9-3 Linear (auto trans - no other options), white/parchment
    24 months / 12k miles per year
    0 down / sec deposit waived
    $345 per month (includes NJ 6% tax)
    Due at signing: 1st month, acq fee, mv fees, doc fee. (approx $1300).

Met some resistance regarding pricing, but eventually got the saleman to come down from $357 to $345 a month. Maybe if I visited every dealer in NJ, I could have negotiated $340/month, but couldn't be bothered. Thought it was a good car at a good price. The Audi A3 would have been $100/month more in my estimate.
    I'm moving from Chicago to Manhattan and won't be needing my car there. I was hoping some of you might give me some selling advice. The car's in good condition and I believe it could pass the certified pre-owned vehicle test (at least that's what I was told from my bodyshop). Would it be best to sell it through the CPV program or sell it myself? I believe it costs about a thousand dollars to have it inspected. Not sure what to do, any help would be appreciated. Thank you!!
    -renee-
    Nevermmind. I decided to just sell it on my own.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    If you need help with pricing it, check with Terry (rroyce10) in our Real-World Trade-In Values discussion. Be sure to include all the necessary information that is listed above the post box.

Good luck - let us know how it goes.
  • escalante1escalante1 Member Posts: 2
    Hi. I am considering purchasing a saab 9-3 and wanted to get some advice as I don't really know anyone who owns one. I was wondering how mechanically reliable is a 2004 or 2005 9-3? And if it breaks down are repairs/parts expensive. Also would you consider it to be an overall good car.

Thx, your help is very appreciated.
  • tomfredtomfred Member Posts: 1
    I have had awful reliability with my 2003 93 Arc 6 speed. Was wondering if others have the same experience. I like the design, performance, etc., but have been disappointed. My prior experiences with Honda, Volkswagen (except for the 77 Rabbit!), Infiniti, and others shine in comparison to the Saab. Lots of problems with electronics and electrical system. The car has developed lots of rattles, too.

Love the car - has the QC improved since 2003?
  • esfoadesfoad Member Posts: 210
    I haave an '04 Aero Convertible. So far the only issues have been the seat release cables in the seats. Both had to be replaced. Otherwise, flawless performance. Great car and very few rattles, especially for a ragtop.
  • y2kvettey2kvette Member Posts: 4
    Hello Hightide,

You mentioned in your post that GM is expecting a lot out of Saab and that it can be used to one's advantage to correct problems. My wife's 2003 93 has an extreme hesitation problem which nearly terminates in a stall . The local Saab dealer and customer service have told me that the car is operating outside its design parameters (97 - centrigrade I assume) and cannot be repaired (Phoenix - summer = really hot). I'd like to know if you have any ideas on who else to contact, as customer service told me they were the end of the line and didn't really offer any help - they did ask what I wanted, but I haven't finalized that yet with my wife. I am going to contact the NHTSA via phone - already filed a report on the web, and will contact the general manager of the dealership. I haven't gotten to mentioning lawyers, because I think this should be solved amicably, if possible, but I am getting near the end of my patience. Any additional suggestions you might have would be appreciated.
  • y2kvettey2kvette Member Posts: 4
    Please tell me how you reached the prsident of Saab. I need help on a problem that customer service has so far been unble to resolve. Thank you.
  • rocharcrocharc Member Posts: 18
    I had a miserable experience with my first 03 6spd Arc. the second one has been much better. check out post #2219 for the details. I will admit that the car has developed a rattle somewhere in the driver door. I too would be interested in any improvements in QC
  • pokadotspokadots Member Posts: 10
    I am about to buy a 9-3 I have agreed to purchase tonight. PROBLEM
    my wifes friend said she had one and there are serious blind spots, should I be concerned
  • jman7jman7 Member Posts: 1
    Hello - Just bought used 04' Linear, and everyone else and you are right - Sound system is horrible. I am in exact same boat as you, at least would like to drop in some 6X9's in the back cut out as it seems easy. Did you ever get any help on this?

THANKS JF
  • doug900doug900 Member Posts: 7
    Maybe you should re-think your 9-3. I own a 1999 9-3 and it is definitely the best saab that I have ever owned! It absolutely flies and handles like a dream! I too have owned saabs all of my driving days. My first one was a 1967 3 cylinder 2-stroke with an oil injection tank. I have had the following- 72' 99, 80' 99, 85' 99, 91' 900 (my first new car). I retired that with 292,000 miles (my driving), and my present car 99' 9-3. Ok, so it's got GM written on it, but at 185 hp it's sure not a little old oldsmobile. that's an injustice for the caliber of this car. And, I think it is very nicely designed. so much for oppinions! What year is it? does it have the light turbo? Doug Brown
  • 530ir1150r530ir1150r Member Posts: 263
    We just put 1800 miles on a 9-3 Convertible in Sweden, Norway and Denmark and had no problems. You do have to use your mirrors.
  • mrblonde49mrblonde49 Member Posts: 626
    It's not that easy. You have to tap the signal under the drivers seat and feed thru an amp to add 6X9's in the back. This will be for low bass only. To get more details, you can find plenty of details on 9-3 enthusiast sites (I can't mention them here...)
  • doug900doug900 Member Posts: 7
    Keep in mind that the older cars that used R-12 refrigerant, would throw ice cubes out of the martrix, but the switchover to R-134a created a different problem. The cooling is not near as good, unless the condenser and evaporator or bigger and other factors to compensate for this beautiful change.

I also understand that R-134a is just as damaging to the atmosphere as R-12. Any chemist out there to varify this? I'm a little rusty on my organic chemistry. :confuse: Doug Brown
  • debcatdebcat Member Posts: 1
    My 2004 Saab 9-3 arc stopped dead on a main road and the steering wheel locked up. The key was turned to the off position without putting it in park. The car was towed to the dealer and they can't find anything in the computer memory and they can't reproduce the problem. Has anyone had a similar situation or have you heard of something similar? I don't feel safe picking the car up from the dealer until the problem is corrected. Thanks.
  • skysaabskysaab Member Posts: 32
    sorry to hear your story. I had similiar issue before. One very hot day in Chicago area. Just 5 min. fater I moved car out from parking lot, saw "Steering wheel manufunction, contact dealer..." on desplay screen. So I stop the car as used to be. Turn off engine and tried to restart, it's always worked but not that time. The key stuck on key hole and couldn't be removed. and my car can't be move or restart either on the road. but after 5 min. relaxed and i tried again. suprised the key can be moved and turned again. Later I called service and sent to fixed. they relpaced with two new set of key and reset the computer. it's all fine after that.
    Mine is 2003 9-3. keep on sharing the experience i had for the steering wheel manufunction problem. when I called for service, they said it's not a serious prolem, so i have to wait for a week for appointment. every time i drived the car, the problem info. will show up. But one thing I saw was interesting. seems like computer in the car scan through the whole system every couples min. so after three days, the problem message was gone. before i sent for service. the problem already somewhat fixed by computer in the car. however, dealer still reset the system and gave me two new keys.
  • smu1976smu1976 Member Posts: 110
    Went to buy a new 05 9-3, nice one for 24K but no ONSTAR?
    Dealer stated that Saab didn't put ONSTAR on the Linear and for 2006 only on the Aero? I thought Saab put ONSTAR on all its cars? At least they used to?
    Then said that ONSTAR was going digital and that all the previous cars it may not work. I think that is B.S. for I would be pretty upset if I bought an Escalade or XLR Caddy for 70K and a year later I have a system that doesn't work?
    Wanted to buy my third Saab for my daughter to use, like the Saab safety, but the ONSTAR was also a big need. No OnStar, I can get the safety and cell phone with a new Jetta for less.

Anyone know the story?
  • schoupschoup Member Posts: 22
    I think the new 06 models on 9-3's are a great value. Base $26,620 with the 210hp engine standard, body colored molding like cuurent Arc, power driver seat, wood effect trim, infotainment audio screen std but still 150W system. It's great that Saab is actually lowering the base price and giving more standard options...there going to sell like hot cakes. Premium pkg is essentially what was the drivers pkg for the old Arc and is $1895. On another note I was looking for a 9-3 Arc '05 but have found the pickings very slim...all is left are the fully loaded models. With the new changes in the 06 I will just get that instead and pay about the same price as I would have for the 9-3 Arc with the discounts/rebate.
    I do not know what the 2006 prices are for European Delivery, but the 2005 prices on a Saab Arc SS were close to a 13% discount. Saab also gives you $2000 for travel expenses, airport, train station or ferry terminal pickup and provides a room and meal for two at Ronnum Manor.

We returned last month after getting a 2005 Arc Convertible.
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    ONSTAR was deleted from the lower end SAAB models because it wasn't profitable to both install ONSTAR and give out huge rebates.

I read an article recently regarding the obsolescence of many current ONSTAR systems. There were originally all analog. GM has been installing analog/digital units only in the past year or so. In 2008, cell networks not longer have to support analog transmissions. At that time, many ONSTAR systems will stop working.

Here is it from ONSTAR's website:

http://www.onstar.com/us_english/jsp/explore/onstar_basics/helpful_info.jsp?info-view=tech- _equip
  • mooselookmooselook Member Posts: 68
    My infocenter recently started reporting "OnStar System Failure - Call Service". I did not renew my OnStar account, since I will be returning the car at lease end in a few months and had no use for OnStar anyway. I assume that this is why I now have the message. Has anyone else had this experience? Is there any way to get the system to stop reporting this annoying message every time I start the car (other than buying an On-Star renewal?)?
    ****Mooselook**** :mad:
  • chrisgg123chrisgg123 Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know how this system works, or if it will work at all? I have a new 2005 9-3 Linear and would like to use my Bluetooth phone with the speaker and steering wheel controls. Has anyone dealt with this?
  • mlabellemlabelle Member Posts: 2
    I've been having the same problem with my car--exact same model. Three times now my care has simply died while driving; the steering wheel locks and it is amazing that I haven't gotten in an accident. I have been able to start the car and drive away each time. The last time (yesterday) I drove it straight to my dealer and it is there now. They are already prepping me for the likelihood that they will not find anything wrong since this has happened "sporadically" and they will not likely be able to reproduce the problem. I am terrified to get behind the wheel of this car again. Have you had any resolution to this problem? Thanks to anyone for information re: this.
    If you are in chicago area. I will happy to show you which dealer you can send your car in for those problems to be fixed. Mine were all got fixed without any service fee.
  • cunfusedcunfused Member Posts: 1
    I noticed these problems and have had a similar problem. Has anyone had aftermarket electronics added to their car? I am being told that a video systems might have caused my problem. After reading the rest of the complaints, it does not sound like it.
  • hernewcarhernewcar Member Posts: 2
    I'm interested in a 9-3 (either an '05 holdover with the current discounts/incentives or an '06 hearing about the drop in base price) but can't seem to find any info on a scheduled year for model redesign. 2003 was the first year for the current model, correct? Sorry if these are "newbie" questions but I thought some of you long time Saab owners may have the inside info for me quicker than I can search. Any help?

Thanks,

BC
  • birdboybirdboy Member Posts: 158
    I am currently driving a 2002 1.8T passat. i am averaging 28-32 mpg on my 3 hour weekend trips to upstate New York on the thruway at speeds of 65-70. I just test drove the 9-3 2.0t sport sedan and was very impressed with the responsive drive as well as the power and most important to me the seat comfort. The sticker says 21-31 mpg est. I am looking foward to buyingh the new sport combi 9-3 in December.Please share with me what the highway milages you have been. getting with the 2005 9-3 2.0t,also the dealer said I should use regular fuel. Is this so, if so it will be a welcomed savings. As always , thanks for your help.
    We have a 2005 9-3 Arc Convertible and get around 27 MPG since new. Also, we use Shell 93 octane, the valves rattle with lower octane. Our car was delivered with a full tank of gas and our sales lady said they only put high octane in Saabs. However, the owners manual says you can use 87.
  • gormerodgormerod Member Posts: 19
    I picked up a 2005 Arc sedan, manual transmission, at the end of June. This was an upgrade from a 2000 1.8T Jetta. I have been using medium grade gas and getting around 26 to 27 MPG with no knocks or pings. The Jetta averaged around 28 MPG. My driving is mostly back and forth on Rts 80, 46, and 3 (northern NJ) during rush hour where I encounter anywhere from moderate to heavy traffic.

The sales guy said that the 9-3 can use any grade of gas, but you may get more knocks and pings with lower gas grades. I have not tried using regular, but figure the extra dollar per tank is worth avoiding potential knocks (even with prices the way they are.) I am also very happy with the car!
  • schoupschoup Member Posts: 22
    From what I've been reading despite the boost in sales with the GM employee discount Saab USA had a far from stellar year. Saab USA continues to be a money loser for GM and GM may be dumping Saab in the next 5 years. Saab is trying to attract new customers besides it loyal Saab enthusuasts with the sports combi and an SUV in '07, also a replacement for the 9-5's in the works. GM is supposedly looking for 15% sales growth in Saab this year to make it profitable. Saab is suppose to be become very aggressive in marketing which hopefully means some good deals. I have friends who bought Saabs last year before the discounts this summer and they didn't pay much more than the discount price. If you know your info and negotiate hard you can always seem to get a Saab at a good price.
  • smu1976smu1976 Member Posts: 110
    The 9-5 is analog and dated technology, the newer 9-3 I beleive is digital. Boy, I would be pissed if I spent high 30's for a 9-5 Aero Wagaon and the Onstar is gone before the warranty is expired? That should be disclosed on the sticker.
    Funny, a Saab that stickers near 30K for a 9-3 and I can not get ONSTAR, but if I want to buy a Saturn Vue for 2006, its standard equipment on every model, versus an option on the 2005's. Seems like reverse thinking at GM, I thought Saab was near luxury brand versus Saturn and discount line. I guess this possibly kills my 9-5 wagon choice. I'll see what the 9-3 combi comes with, maybe a lease deal, but it looks like the Saturn Vue all wheel drive with Onstar, Honda V-6 engine for the mid 20's may be a better deal for my kids to drive in with great safety rankings. Thanks for the information.
  • mooselookmooselook Member Posts: 68
    To reply to my own message, the "On Star System Failure" is just that...another system failure to add to the list. According to the dealer, even if On-Star is not renewed, the system should remain operational for emergencies. Another service appointment scheduled for next week. Only 2.5 months to go on this lease. I do not think I will be replacing the Saab with another...one has been enough.
    ****Mooselook**** :mad:
  • 40_love40_love Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know how to attach a laptop to the saab computer to read the engine codes ?? I've heard it was possible with other car makers.
  • fatherandrewfatherandrew Member Posts: 1
    I have a '03 Vector 9-3 with 44,000 miles on. It comes with
    a 50,000 mile warranty. Recently the car died and I had
    the battery replaced, the steering column replaced,
    the horn replaced and a few other repairs all under warranty.

I currently owe $ 9,000 on the car under the original
    0% for up to 60 months (I actually will pay off the
    car in 20 months). I really, really like this car.

I am not in an urgent rush to get rid of the car.

If I was to switch cars, I might go to a new Dodge Charger
    but I'd be losing out on alot of the luxury features that the
    Saab has.

My question, the Saab dealer has told me that I could
    get a extended warranty when the car hits 50,000 miles.
    He said they weren't cheap. Or I could pony up to one
    of the new 06 Saab 9-3's that they don't have in stock yet.

However, I have one of the few Vector's in the State of
    South Carolina. I am not sure I'd be 'moving up' if I got
    one of the new 9-3's that are coming out, it probably wouldn't be
    at 0% either and I'm not sure I'd be happy with the options.
    I enjoy the features of my current car.

So would you buy a extended warranty? What type of
    reliability issues do I face post 50,000 miles on the 9-3
    if I plan to keep the car until 60,000 miles or so?
    I usually drive around 21,000 miles a year.

Thanks!

Fr. Andrew
  • gslamsgslams Member Posts: 6
    I would like to know what others are paying for a 2006 aero with metallic paint option and cold weather package and also with the GM employee discount.
    Also I have been in touch with a dealer here in new england to test drive a 2006 aero, but so far his response has been that he doesn't have one in the lot yet. I have a feeling he is going to call me only when the GM discount program ends.
    Finally I'm not sure if it will be a wise decision to choose a saab aero over a 325i because it costs 2k less for the same set of options, any comments?
    There are two things to keep in mind if you are thinking about purchasing an extended warranty. Their rates are based on averages, maintenance and repairs; and like all insurance policies, there is profit and commissions that disappear at purchase. If you have maintained your car and not had major issues, you may be ahead to bank the cost of an extended warranty and self-insure.

I quit buying service plans and extended warranties years ago.
  • pluckedguspluckedgus Member Posts: 1
    Hi:

I have been having the same problem of unexplained stalling with my 2003 9.3 Arc for the two years that I have had it. The car has been tested and examined three different times by me dealer without detecting the problem. I have a case opened with Saab U.S.A. and I'm wondering why no one has mentioned that mine is not an isolated experience.

Can you tell me where you are with your problem? I'm afraid that someone is going to get seriously injured if I keep driving this car.

Thanks,

Ben