Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Saab 9-3 Sedan

Comments

• mberensonmberenson Member Posts: 2
    I am interested in purchasing a 2006 Aero Sedan. I have read conflicting messages and reviews (expert and non-expert) about their reliability. Does anyone have any insights and would you suggest buying one.

Does anyone have any experience with Ramsey Saab in New Jersey?

What is a realistic purchase price for such model? Thanks to all who respond.
  • esfoadesfoad Member Posts: 210
    I have no information on Ramsey Saab, but I leased my 04 Aero convertible from JMK in NJ. However, they are far from my home so I service at Reinertsen in Denville, NJ. Both dealersips seem to be fine. I brought the car to JMK for the first two visits and since then at Reinertsen. Never an issue. Both places are nice, offer loaners and seem to understand the vehicles. So if Ramsey proves to have poor service (and I have not heard anything like this about them) then there are options. BTW, the car has been trouble free and a pleasure to drive. My other car is a 2005 Infiniti G35X. Both cars are very different. Some days I prefer the Saab, other days the G35X. Officially, the Saab is the wife's. She prefers the Saab always. I DO agree that resale values on Saabs is low so leasing makes good sense with these cars.
  • lamalfa18lamalfa18 Member Posts: 2
    i am currently looking at buying a 2000 saab 9-3...the only question i have is weather or not its an SE or the base model. The dealer said its the SE, but i dont think he knows what hes taling about....he said it was the SE because it has leather and heated seats, and some other options. My question is, does that neccasrialy make it an SE? b/c i kno you can add those options to the base model. Is there ne specifice way to tell if it is and SE or a base model? I know the engine hp is the first way, but besides that?.....a big thanks to anyone who can help me with this. I want to buy it with in the next couple of days, so ne feedback is greatly appreciated....
    ~jl
  • dhanleydhanley Member Posts: 1,531
    http://www.edmunds.com/used/2000/saab/93/index.html?mktcat=used&kw=2000+saab+9+3- &mktid=ga323964

The SE has more horsepower aside from the options, for starters. Click on the car, then "specifications"

That being said, the driveability is not *that* different.

dave
  • lamalfa18lamalfa18 Member Posts: 2
    well thanks dave, but yeah i understand that the SE has more hp....but i want to make sure that im paying for an SE not for the Base model...how can i tell from looking at the car?...or from looking at the motor?...cuz i dont think is says SE or 205 hp on the car or engine....
  • mrblonde49mrblonde49 Member Posts: 626
    Get the VIN Number and call Saab USA. If they won't give you the info, you can always run a carfax
  • gordonwdgordonwd Member Posts: 337
    The 9-3 was on my short-list for my last car purchase, but I ended up with a 325i and am very happy with my choice. But my wife will soon be in the market for a new car and she would like to get something similar to what I have been driving (her favorite car that I drove was my previous A4 1.8T). But she is strongly in favor of buying about a 2-year-old car in the interest of saving money, and would plan on keeping it at least 5 years or more (about 10-12K miles a year).

Seeing as how Saabs have a notoriously poor resale value reputation ;), I figured that we might be able to find a suitable used 9-3 for a good price. But my major concern is reliability, and especially reliability of expensive components. The big thing for me is the turbo. As an engineer, I look at a turbocharged engine and see a lot of extra complexity (and high service charges) due mainly to the turbo system. In fact, in 6 years of owning my A4, the only $$$ repair that I had was a turbo-related item.

So what is the long-term reliability outlook of the 9-3 that we'd keep into the 70K+ miles range, and especially are there any typical problems due to turbocharging?

The other big thing against the Saab is that my wife and I are anxious to get away from the problems we've had over the years with the GM products that we've owned, so GM being Saab's owner may be enough to take it off our list (or her list) entirely.
  • w9cww9cw Member Posts: 888
    Obviously, my information really doesn't have much impact on current SAAB models, but I thought I'd just add my 2 cents on SAAB's long-term reliability. We have two Classic 900's in this family - a 1985 900 4-door sedan, and a 1987 900S 3-door hatch. Both use the H-motor design, the '85 an 8-valve SOHC and the '87 a 16-valve DOHC. The '85 was bought new in April 1985 and the '87 (college-age daughter's car) bought used 5 years ago.

Both cars are fast approaching 200K, and neither have required any mechanical engine work. And, both transmissions (a 5-speed and auto respectively) are both original. The clutch was replaced at 110K on the '85 900. Although I perform the majority of the maintenance on both, the mainenance has been minimal. Most importantly, the cars look extremely nice for their age. Very little rust, and still excellent paint . . .

Overall, we've been pleased with both. Heck, I wish they were still manufacturing the Classic 900 - I would buy another!
  • wmquanwmquan Member Posts: 1,817
    ... my information really doesn't have much impact on current SAAB models ...

It shows how much "progress" has been made. The 900 was a great vehicle. However, as you suggested, I doubt if we can expect the same kind of durability out of today's 9-3. Saab components have been replaced by Opel/GM parts, and those aren't renowned for very high mileage sturdiness. The platform is GM Epsilon. Most of the 9-3's parts don't even come from Sweden anymore.

Did the old 900 use mostly local Saab parts, or were any major parts of it sourced from other companies?

They don't make them like they used to.
  • chris47chris47 Member Posts: 25
    The Saab 9-3 frame is shared with other GM models.

It seems that few of the moving parts are shared with other GM's. The 2.0T engine is made in Germany. The brakes, transmission, and steering are all unique to Saab.

I hope they are reliable - I'm being diligent with maintenance with it.
  • saablcpsaablcp Member Posts: 195
    An SE would have dual power front seats,climate control A.C.,Walnut Dash,Memory seat retrieval.These are absolute differences from a base model.If it lacks these features it CAN'T be an SE.With the exception of the walnut dash as a dealer installed accessory,none of these were available on a base 9-3 model
  • cmschmiecmschmie Member Posts: 27
    I'll be in the market for a new car in the next few months and the 9-3 has just made my list.
    Quick question though:
    Does it come with satellite radio?
  • cmschmiecmschmie Member Posts: 27
    I meant 9-3 Aero
  • chris47chris47 Member Posts: 25
    XM Radio is a dealer installed option. Last month they were offering the unit for free - you still had to pay for installation.
  • ro22nero22ne Member Posts: 13
    have 2000 93 that even w/ snows does poorly in snow. Does anyone have any similar experiences.
  • twmarktwmark Member Posts: 41
    Does the 9-3 2.0 with premium package have bluetooth? If not what is the bottom-inner button on the rightside of the steering wheel for? Also what's the phone-like keypad on the dash for?

There is no mention on bluetooth in the Saab brochure.
  • jworthingtonjworthington Member Posts: 42
    Well, the search is over. Financially, a two year lease on a 9-3 is a better decision that purchasing the Saab or Acural TL. I pick up the car on Wed.

I am really looking forward to driving it see what the changes have been since the '84 900 Turbo I had back in the late 80's.

I see the postings on Bluetooth and understand that it is not availble in the US market; why I, too, do not understand. Is there any mod that can be done to activate it. Can Tech II do this?

Jeff
  • amitvisualamitvisual Member Posts: 26
    I'm also looking at the 9-3 24 month lease. Can I ask how much your payment is, and what they used for the cap cost?
  • russlarussla Member Posts: 74
    Also, many times the 2000 base model doesn't have the body colored door protector, or bumper rub strips, or the nicer kick panels under the doors. The SE has a better stereo with 6 speakers too, the base only 4 speakers, so there should be speakers in the both the door and on the dash if it's an SE
    It's been my experience with a 2000 9-3 hatch that they are reliable enough to make it to 80k, with ease

you can visit saabnet and more people can chime in on the Sport sedan versions,

you'll need to service the fluids, but otherwise mine was trouble free, the turbo was leaking oil, (so it would smoke on some startups) but it had 85k on mine when i let it go. and turbos aren't supposed to last for ever anyway.

I like it better than Passats and Jettas (had previously owned both turbo versions)

The only issue I had besides the failing turbo, was a dead pixel in the info display, and the CD eject function was getting lazy.

I miss the center key, :( and really liked the room of the hatch.

However, they have more torque steer (they are FWD), it was a great commute car
    The military price was $29,759. I got 18,000 miles/year. The residual was, almost, $23k. Payments are $359/mo. I put $2k down in order to reduce the payments from $380 to $359. Interest rate, if I remember correctly, was 4.1%.

I got it an O'Neal Saab in Raleigh, NC. Took us a while to reach a conclusion, but they waived the document and delivery fees in order to get the business.

I hope this helps. Anything else, just ask.

Jeff
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    It would be great if you would return to the Saab 9-3: Prices Paid & Buying Experience discussion and post the details there also.

Congrats and enjoy your new ride!!
  • dmonizdmoniz Member Posts: 15
    Hello,

I'm seriously considering buying a 2000 9-3 SE Conv with 62000 miles on it. It's in perfect shape and the dealer wants $13k. Is this a good buy?
    What should I look for in an inspection? Why do Saabs depreciate so fast? A 2000 Volvo C70 Conv is about $4k more.

Thanks for any info.
    Terry in the real world used car values can help you with the pricing, and maybe the reasons too. but 13k may be high a little, depends if the service history can justify it.

my take is this.

They depreciate faster because they are quirkier cars to begin with, the key, the look, the standard turbo, and the rareity. the funny way some things work, and the manual tranny is somewhat sloppy- so there are less people that want that type of car.

I think they are a good used car value though. Nice performance, roomy for a 2dr, and get decent milage,

Normal ducks usually aren't attracted to Saabs, volumes are low, so that will impact resale.

For a 60K Saab, I would expect the timing belt to have been done, or the price to reflect that it needs to be done, 2000 saabs had a coil issue that was always throwing misfires codes and a CEL, so it should have been replaced, if the DIC hasn't been replaced, then there is actually a SAAB extended warrenty for it (DIC is Direct Ignition Coil)

There are two other things to consider, the seals can go bad in the turbo, causing them to burn oil, so you need to see if there is any white smoke on start up, and inspect the front of the engine for a misting of oil. so you can make some judgement on the state of turbo.

Some have had sludging issue, so verify that the oils been changed reqularly

and expect a dead pixel or two in the computer display
  • dmonizdmoniz Member Posts: 15
    Thanks for the quick feedback russla. What do you mean by 'Terry in the real world used car values'? I did test drive this car a week ago and noticed the display looked like a pixel was out. I need to go back and check for any white smoke and oil misting and will have my mechanic check it over. I'm concerned about the engine sludge so I'm hoping the mechanic can determine if there is any present.

I've been looking at buying a Conv now for some time and this one came up on my searches. I'm hesitant because my family and I all drive Nissans which have proved very reliable so I'm spoiled. Plus I love the style of the 9-3 and found it drove great with plenty of power.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    The poster is referring to Terry (rroyce10) who is a dealer very kindly helping us out in the discussion at this link: Real-World Trade-In Values. If you make a post there be absolutely sure you follow the guidelines at the top of the post box. And if you don't get an answer within a day or two, don't be at all shy about reposting until you do.

Let us know how it goes.
  • mcook1mcook1 Member Posts: 4
    hi there,

I just joined the list... I am considering buying a used '03-'04 93. noticed that you decided on a lease and leased your car from david o'neal saab. I was wondering why you decided on a lease vs buying and how your experience was with david o'neal? I have been to the dealership once and the experience was good. the salesman was not pushy and I will probably buy a used/certified from them.

thanks,
    molly
    Thanks, Jeff! My local dealer says they have no cars that fit the national $299 deal, so they're asking for a lot more for a car with another $1750 in options.
    Molly
    Well, a few things went into the decision.

1. I really wanted the Acura TL. The cars are priced similar but the navigation, long-term reliability, and size of the backseat were the winners for the TL. However...

2. The military pricing on the Saab could NOT be beaten. Period.

3. We already have a $633 payment on a Volvo XC90 and I am selling my RX-8 ($267/mo) for the new car. Ideally, I would like to break even or pay a little more than what I am currently paying.

4. To do this, I would need nothing more than a $20k loan. With the difference in payoof and sales price of the RX-8, I would be just able to do this on the Saab purchase and close on a used 2005 Acural TL. Not new.

5. Since I am concerned about the long-term reliability of the Saab (sorry die-hard Saabers), I really don't want to worry after the warranty or free service runs out.

6. If I take the difference in sales price, apply that to the principle of the Volvo loan, I get that paid off 2 years early. If I don't do that and get another $20k loan, in two years I will STILL have two car payments. The lease will allow me to pay off one car completely at the same time the lease comes due. I will then be able to buy the car I really wanted--or whatever my whim may be at that time.

7. Bottom line. the price was right ($350), no operating expenses other than gas for the two years, and I have a couple options at the end of the lease. I am like a used car lot anyway...I can't keep a car for longer than 3 years before I get tired of it. Why waste my 10k downpayment and risk not getting it back when I resell it.

The dealership was ok. No, they are no pushy. However, I found them to be a little absent minded, lost, and unknowledgeable at times. This led me to believe that they were somewhat unprofessional. Not rude unprofessional, but not all together, professional. If you know what I mean.

Sorry for the long post. But you did ask. Anything else, please feel free to inquire. I have no problem helping someone out. By the way, I am COMPLETELY satisfied with the car. So far, it has beena pleasure to drive.

jeff
    Jworthington, if you are a chronic car buyer, as you say, leasing is probably a good idea, and so is the saab-the lease deals are great, and you don't *really* have to worry about dependability as you won't have it past the warranty/free service. Paying down the volvo is just a bonus.

Which 9-3 did you get, exactly? The 9-3 is no rx-8, interesting change in cars. ;)

dave
    Well, now, we get into a discussion of my car buying habits... :)

I got the 9-3 Aero with no navigation. It does have the cold weather and touring packages.

You are right, it is no RX-8, but with the addition of a second child this past Monday and the flooding issue (although they say it is fixed) in the rotary and my local dealerships insistence that they will NO LONGER honor the warranty on that particular problem, it was my time to depart from Mazda.
    Hehe. I wasn't picking on your car buying, it sounds like a fun hobby. ;)

Interesting experience with the mazda. From anecdotal evidence mazda has a massively bimodal dependability distribution; they are either the best car ever, or god-awful.
    hi jeff,

thanks for replying and answering my questions. it sounds like you had numerous reasons for leasing vs. buying. :)

I usually keep my cars for fiver years or so. therefore, leasing is probably not the best way for me to go. I would like to buy a new 9-3 but cannot afford the sticker price. I can afford a used 03'-04'. however after reading numerous posts and talking with even die hard saab owners, I will only buy one if it is certified. I am a little concerned about buying a used saab without some sort of "extended" warranty due to the questions of reliability.

thanks for the input with respect to the dealership. I am almost certain that I will go to david o'neal to buy the 9-3. I can deal with them being a little scattered and less professional if I get a good deal and don't feel pressured.

"By the way, I am COMPLETELY satisfied with the car. So far, it has been a pleasure to drive."

excellent to hear especially given your previous car was an RX-8. my first car was a 76' datsun 280z. great car and hard to compare with another.

thanks again for your help.

molly
    jworthington wrote: "5. Since I am concerned about the long-term reliability of the Saab (sorry die-hard Saabers), I really don't want to worry after the warranty or free service runs out."

We've driven SAABs since 1958. Properly maintained (and, the first word is most critical), a SAAB can outlast any car. We have an '85 900 and an '87 900S (each purchased new), both of which still run like new, burn no oil, and look almost new. Each Classic 900 has over 150K on the clock, and absolutely no engine repairs to either, including the original timing chains, and transmissions. I would hope this is a reasonable representation of SAABs better than average long-term reliability. On the other hand, these two cars also represent some of the last examples of "real" SAABs, if you will. Simply placing an ignition switch on the floor, does not make a SAAB.

As with anything, take care of it, and it will take care of you.
    Sir,
    You are correct. Take care of it and it will take care of you. However, and I guess I should caveat "reliability", if something does go wrong with a Saab it is incredibly expensive to fix.

My '84 900 Turbo had the sunroof motor go out on it in 1988. If I remember correctly, it was something like $300. Well, that money in 1988 to a struggling college student was a big deal. A friend of mine has a 2001 9-5 wagon and the info display is going out. 4 years? With these two examples (and I know that there are only 2), there was not alot of preventive maintenance that could be have been performed.

In fact, as I was looking at the screen of my 9-3 today and noticed that it said RADIO, CD, and SYSTEM with a big bright green bar across one of them I wondered how long it would take for them to burn in and ruin the display? Any way to turn these off?

In any case, I do agree with you. I will follow the maintenance schedule to the "T" and it should be a great car.

Holly
    Good luck on your purchase. Look at the paperwork twice. They made some errors that I caught; some in my favor, some in theirs. But they did not do a perfect job with that aspect of the sale.

Jeff
    The price of repairs is exactly why I've performed all maintenance on my SAABs for many years. Fairly recently, I began buying all OEM parts from www.thesaabsite.com and they're are also a wealth of technical information, as TW is a former Master Certified SAAB technician. Good luck with your 9-3.

Don
    We're starting to feel like its not worth owning cars beyond their warranty periods, given how incredibly complex they've become. Even "minor" issues cost a lot, because of the complexity, and so the traditional difference in depreciation, which slows after the first couple of years, seems to be quite likely to be outweighed by even a few minor repairs, and with the rising cost of gas, insurance, and labor, the equation is getting skewed in favor of leasing the car for the warranty period and turning it back in.
    Does anybody else feel this way?
  • rich4jrich4j Member Posts: 15
    Does anyone know what the residual value is for the 2006 Aero 9.3??? .71???? thanks
    Mine is $22,641. Aero. Touring and Cold Weather Packages. Metallic Paint.
  • rich4jrich4j Member Posts: 15
    holy cow.....that is a great price..they are quoting us over 520 with 2000 down.....what is the residual value?
    hi jeff,

"Good luck on your purchase. Look at the paperwork twice. They made some errors that I caught; some in my favor, some in theirs. But they did not do a perfect job with that aspect of the sale."

thanks for the heads up and for all of your advice! :)

I will be sure to let you know when I purchase my 9-3. needless to say I am very excited!

thanks again,
    molly :)
    hi again,

I do agree with the w9cw's statement "As with anything, take care of it, and it will take care of you." but I also agree with your take. it is always best to maintain and take care of anything you own but things happen. my brother owns a fairly new bmw 3 series and the motor for the rear passenger side window stopped working. the replacement price was not cheap. they also had a few other issues with the car that were on the expensive side and not something that would have been under the preventative maintenance header.

I may pay a little more for a used certified 93 but if there are repair issues out of the normal preventative maintenance then I would rather pay for the peace of mind in knowing that the repairs will be covered.

molly :)
    Rich
    I will get all of my figures out tonight and post them to make it easier for any others who want to go that route.

Jeff
    Rich
    I can't tell you for what that package will be, but I will give you my numbers. I just leased last week, Jan 25th.

2006 9-3 Aero
    6 spd manual transmission
    Touring package
    Cold weather package
    Metallic paint
    Sticker: $34,915
    Military pricing: $29,749

I got them to waive the $398 document fee. During the signing, I also noticed that they forgot to add in the tags and license fee. I noticed it, brought it to their attention, and did not put it back in.

Saab now does not do the leasing. This just changed last week. All leases are through GMAC. No money factor, they now talk normal interest rate.

Residual: $22,793.05
    Interest Rate: 3.94%
    Downpayment: $2070.34 (incl 1st month payment, fees, etc.)
    Term: 24 Mos
    Mileage: 18k / year
    Payment: $361.57 / mo (incl the 3% NC tax)

I hope this helps you.

Jeff
    I have an '06 9-3 Aero. I understand the airbag light (showing nobody in the seat) is on all of the time. Recently, it began to blink from bright to dim over and over again continuously. I have had the car 2 weeks and it just began to do this.

Can anyone help? I may have no choice but to drive up to Raleigh and take it to the dealership.

Thanks.

jeff
  • goodstargoodstar Member Posts: 27
    We have owned this car for 3 months. Has 37k miles in very nice condition and is a fun car to drive. We have an intermittent no crank problem that has occurred 4 times in the time we have owned it. Turn the key and nothing. Almost like the car is in gear when we try to start. It could be the neutral safety switch?? who knows. When the problem occurs, in about 1/2 to 3/4 of an hour it will crank and start ok. It is not the positive cable to the starter being corroded, that has been checked. This is one of those problem that is going to be tough to find. Has anyone else had this type problem? Thanks
  • mrjjgittesmrjjgittes Member Posts: 156
    I bought a 2005 9-3 Linear (auto trans) in June 2005. Paid $24.5k before TTL. I am pleased with it. My only real complaint is the stereo. It is extremely weak. However, other than that, I have been enjoying the car. No problems at all. It is plenty fast enough for me. The heated seats are great. I have the light colored leather interior, and I have gotten many compliments on it. (I think the knocks on the Saab interior are overstated.) All things considered...like safety, a bit of euro prestige, price, interior, power, reg. service costs included, etc, I have to say I am a happy owner.
  • mcclearyflmcclearyfl Member Posts: 149
    We leased our faultless '02 9-3 for 4 years, purchasing it at lease end. One month after the warranty expired I experienced the dreaded "check engine" light, and did not relish a potentially expensive visit to the dealer. However, a quick review of these posts convinced me to fill up the tank and make sure the gas cap was well and truly tight. Voila, the "check engine" light went out.

So thank you to contributors who have brought this phenomenon to our attention.
  • mysaabstorymysaabstory Member Posts: 1
    My wife has a 2004 9-3 Arc, automatic, with less than 20K miles on it. We live in the pacific northwest where we have been experiencing considerable weather below freezing. On several occasions, when the weather has been cold, we have experienced the same thing you describe. The car will not turn over. Everything lights up, but it acts like the car is in gear as you desribe. We have been experiencing many more issues the last couple weeks when the temperature is very cold, say below 20 degrees. We have a warning that there is a gearbox malfunction, limited performance, see the dealer. The first time this happened, the dealer found nothing. The latest issues have been part of the dash lights, the climate control and cd player staying on overnight with the car off and the key removed??? The car started the next morning. Now the high beams will not stay on. They light if you hold the turn signal stalk back, but will not remain on when you let it go.
    She drove the Volvo S40, Audi A4, Acura TSX, and liked the Saab over them all. Now I am beginning to question the reliability of this car. Thank god its a lease and has a great warranty. Still, that doesn't make it less frustrating when its time to take the kids to school and the car won't start!
    I don't think it was the cold, but my 9-3 with only 1300 miles on it refused to start on Friday night; right after the dealership (80 miles away) closed.

I just drove the car 2 hours previously. It has gas. Temps in the 50's. All lights, radio, electrical items work with no issue. We even tried to jump it just to make sure but to no avail.

And to think, I got rid of my RX-8 because of the flooding issue with the rotary engine. :-) Oh well. We will see what the dealer says on Monday.